You're Moving Us To Toronto?!!

You're Moving Us To Toronto?!!

Postby zike_42 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:09 am

I had just signed on to coach Seton Hall. My shot at the big time. Sure, Seton Hall was one of the lower ranked teams in the Big East but coming from the Mountain West Conference it might have been Duke who called me.

My name is Felix Elwood and for the last 5 years I had been the head coach of Bingham Young University, and before that, Hofstra, and before even that South Dakota State.

All in all I have been coach for 15 years, starting straight out of college myself. I took over in my senior year when our long time coach went to hospital from a heart attack and haven’t looked back. So now at 38, I’m ready for the big time. I didn’t know how big it would be...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been interested in doing a dynasty for a while and this is a good a time as any to do it. It is going to be similar to Jestor’s writings; I’m just hoping I can get to half as good as his stories. So here goes.

It was the end of September and I got a knock on my front door from a middle aged man, who was about six foot tall with a comb-over to cover his balding head. I didn’t know who he was but it was obvious that he knew who I was.

“Mr Elwood! Pleasure to meet you! Can I come in? I have a proposition for you.” I had no idea what was going on but his sheer enthusiasm won me over and I let him in.

I led him to the lounge room in my house in South Orange, NJ while I got myself water. He showed no hesitation to grab the recliner.

“I’m just going to be blunt,” he said quickly, “My name is Rich Petway and I’m the owner of the Toronto Raptors basketball club.”

My jaw dropped.

“As you are well aware, our team is in the cellar, with Chris Bosh leaving us for his chums in Miami,” a little grimace came over his face for a split second, “We have no clear path ahead of us. The team was built around him.”

“So what does this have to do with me?” I said cautiously, trying not to show my building excitement.

“We have been watching you for a while at BYU and we are very impressed by your ability to recruit players who, no offence, were way out of that school’s league. We want to use your recruiting skills to get elite players to Toronto to show the rest of the NBA that we are not just a filler team for diversity.”

I was shocked. Mere weeks after I moved to what I believed was going to be my dream job, a better job walks up to my front door and slaps me in the face. This man wants me to be the general manager of the Toronto Raptors. I would be stupid not to take this offer.

But a thought went through my head, just a flash. I had just signed on at Seton Hall, and if I leave now the backlash would be immense. But they wouldn't get too angry if I told them the pros were calling.
What would this do to my son Faron? We have just moved here he is just starting 10th grade soon at a new school and moving him would devastate him after leaving his home in Utah which he grew up in. However, he is only a few years away from college and leave Toronto if he wants then.

“Where do I sign?” I blurted out. I don’t know whose smile was bigger.
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby zike_42 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 am

In a few short weeks, we had moved to a lovely 3 bedroom house in Toronto and endured the inevitable media circus which consisted of questions based around whether a college coach can make the transition to NBA general manager. After all the commotion had died down, I met Mr. Petway for lunch to see where the team will be going in the future.

“I know the team doesn’t look good at the moment, but what do you think you can do with it?” He asked, with a look of intrigue.

“I have been giving this quite a bit of thought, and seeing as you employed me because of my recruiting skills, I have decided that the off-season of 2013 is our main priority.”

Mr. Petway raised one eyebrow slightly.

“That is when both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard will have the opportunity to opt out of their deals. I have always built my teams with the point guard and the center as the most important positions, and who better than those two to bring success back to Canada. So if we can get far enough below the cap by then we can have two max contracts to throw their way.”

He seemed to like that idea of being near or below the cap.

“What does that mean to the team in the meantime?” He said.

“Right now we are a bad team, you know and I know it, so playoffs are most likely out of the picture at least for this season, but if we can work out some good trades as well as a high draft pick we should be fighting for a position next season.”

He mulled that over for a few seconds, then put out his hand and said, “Well, you better get to work, 2013 is fast approaching.”

The next day in my very spiffy office at the Air Canada Center I finally had a chance to sit back and soak everything in. Growing up I was a dyed in the wool Knicks supporter, so it felt very strange to call the Raptors ‘my’ team. It felt good though, even though I would never tell my son.

I looked over the team and was even less enthused than when I met with Mr. Petway. To be honest, we had a lot of mediocre players on long, expensive deals. Our ‘star’, if he could be called that is Andrea Bargnani. Not my cup of tea for a centre, but if we can find a power 5 to play next to him *cough* Howard *cough* then he could be good. We have two prospects to watch for in DeMar Derozan and Ed Davis, and hopefully they will get plenty of court time this year to stretch their wings. I’m not going to have a firesale straight away but I’m confident that most of these players will not be on this team in two years.

Coaches? Meh. Jay Triano isn’t bad and I will give him every chance to prove himself, but if he does slip and there is a better replacement available, don’t be surprised to see him gone.

I’m not sending anyone down the D-League this year, as I want to see if we have any diamonds in the rough that with extra playing time can shine. I am interested in another centre to the draft though.

I do like the look of Earl Barron and Da’Sean Butler and immediately cut Joey Dorsey and Reggie Evans. I was VERY tempted to sign Allen Iverson out of retirement as I had heard reports that he was interested in coming back, but AI + bad team = angry AI.

This means that the team stands at:
PG – Jose Calderon
SG – Jarrett Jack
SF – Linas Kleiza
PF – Andrea Bargnani
C – Earl Barron
6th – Ed Davis
7th – Amir Johnson
8th – Sonny Weems
9th – Leandro Barbosa
10th – DeMar Derozan
11th – Da’Sean Butler
12th – David Anderson
IR – Solomon Alabi
IR – Marcus Banks
IR – Julian Wright

As you can see, not much talent over the board, and there definitely needs to be an upgrade at SF.

Media rankings have us dead last in the East, with the Timberwolves last in the West. The East’s rankings seem pretty accurate with Miami, Chicago and Boston as the top three but in the West someone must have been playing a joke with Golden State being ranked 2nd (behind the Lakers) with the Spurs 9th and Thunder 11th!

Toronto Raptors 0-0
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby zike_42 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:37 am

I knew we were bad but when you go down 101-78 to the lowly 76ers, there is something very wrong. It doesn’t help that Andrea Bargnani goes 2-16 for 7 points. Jarrett Jack top scores with 22 points and recent free agent signing Earl Barron grabs 12 rebounds. #2 pick Evan Turner torches us in his first ever game with 27 points and 10 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 0-1

Our first game at home goes just as badly, losing to Golden State 120-97. Andrea wakes up a little with 15 points, 7 rebounds and Jose Calderon scored 18 points. David Lee shows that he was worth the massive contract he signed in the off-season with an 18 point, 17 rebound performance.

Toronto Raptors 0-2

What’s that? The Raptors win? Away? You must be kidding me. But no, a 105-93 win over Milwaukee was just the thing to calm my nerves. Andrea Bargnani seems to be getting comfortable with a 23 point, 9 rebound game. Andrew Bogut was flirting with a triple double in the losing side with 9 points, 12 rebounds and 7 assists.

Toronto Raptors 1-2

Detroit continues to be unbeaten with a 102-91 in Toronto. Andrea Bargnani was our lone highlight with 20 points and 10 rebounds, while the Pistons had 5 players in double figures led by the unlikely Ben Wallace with 16.

Toronto Raptors 1-3

OK this game was embarrassing. Granted it was against the Hawks in Atlanta, but we can’t be losing by 35 points, 111-76, with our top scorer being a measly 11 points by DeMar Derozan. Rookie Jordan Crawford goes off for 25 points and Joe Johnson has a great overall game of 20 points, 8 rebounds and 8 assists.

Toronto Raptors 1-4

I’m not going to hit the panic button right away, but if things don’t get better, a few of these players will be looking for a new job. I don’t mind losing with cap space, but when we $3.5 million in the red and playing this badly something has to give.

Hmm, losing 111-84 to the lowly Charlotte Bobcats is definitely a wakeup call. Earl Barron was our best player with 12 points and 11 rebounds and the Bobcats’ duo of Stephen Jackson (34 points, 9 rebounds) and Gerald Wallace (24 points, 11 rebounds) blasted us.

Toronto Raptors 1-5

In other news around the league, we already have our first 50 point game with Dirk Nowitzki scoring 56 points in a 131-106 point beating of the Clippers where they shot 57% from the field.

Even though we lost 110-94 to the Celtics, we were right with them until three quarter time, then they decided to stop toying with us and stomped us to the tune of a 34-18 last quarter. Earl Barron is quickly becoming our best overall player, scoring 12 points and grabbing 15 rebounds. Rajon Rondo claimed player of the game with a 24 point, 7 assist and 6 rebound game.

Toronto Raptors 1-6

Another night, another loss this time to the 76ers again, going down 115-95. Jarrett Jack paced us with 24 points, but that was negated by Jrue Holiday’s 23 point, 5 rebound game.

Toronto Raptors 1-7

My excitement in Andrea Bargnani has started to wane remarkably, with stats of 12.3 points and 6.5 rebounds just not cutting it as a number 1 guy, and with Ed Davis playing well (9.3 points, 3.9 rebounds) I think it’s time for a change. Especially one that gets us out of his 5 year, 50 million dollar contract.

And just like that, it happens.

Toronto trades:
PF Andrea Bargnani
PG Jose Calderon
SG Sonny Weems

Boston trades:
PG Rajon Rondo
SG Ray Allen

Why for Toronto?
Do you really need to ask that? Dumping the contracts of Bargnani and Calderon for upgrades at PG and SG is a no brainer. Even though Rondo’s contract is almost identical to Bargnani’s, it is a definite increase in talent. And although Ray Allen is getting up there in age, he can still drain it with the best of them. He has a 2 year, $20 million contract.

Why for Boston?
The only explanation we can give is that they were not comfortable with the very old center combination of Jermaine and Shaquille O’Neal until Kendrick Perkins back was enough to swallow the decrease in overall talent from Rondo to Calderon. It places huge pressure on the creaking shoulders of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

Winner – Toronto
Huge coup for the Raptors, getting a PG you can build your team around for out of favour players. What will Elwood do next?

Wow. I didn’t expect that at all. I’m rethinking my strategy for getting Chris Paul now. Why should I wait when Rondo is averaging 16.8 points, 10.3 assists and 5.2 rebounds to go with 2.2 steals a game in the early season. What do to, what to do...

Our starting line-up now looks like this:
PG – Rajon Rondo
SG – Ray Allen
SF – Linas Kleiza
PF – Ed Davis
C – Earl Barron

You would think going up against the mighty Heat, and having Lebron score 21, Bosh pitching in with 20 points and 13 rebounds coupled with Ray Allen scoring 2 points in his Raptor debut would mean death for us. But no! We held them to 36% shooting and Rajon Rondo taking the lead with a 19 point, 8 assist and 8 rebound game as well 6 other players in double figure scoring nets us a 98-86 win at home. Very good start if you ask me, but I’m not getting ahead of myself.

Toronto Raptors 2-7

Meanwhile, Andrea Bargnani gets player of the game in his first as a Celtic, racking up 21 points and grabbing 7 rebounds in their win over the Nuggets. Maybe the Celtics know what they are doing.

Well that burst my bubble. We had all the confidence in the world heading to Orlando, and left with none of it losing badly 132-95. They shot 62% (51/82) from the field and 54% from the three, hitting 19 out of 35! Dwight Howard top scored with 27 points to go with 8 rebounds to give us a little preview of what hopefully will be coming to Toronto soon. Rondo was our best player with 18 points and 10 assists.

Toronto Raptors 2-8

We thought we could get our swagger back playing in Miami but that was short lived with a 96-71 hiding where we shot a paltry 35% from the field. Chris Bosh did all the damage with 25 points and 11 rebounds. It doesn’t help when we score 9 in the first quarter and 16 in second.

Toronto Raptors 2-9

Home is where the heart is with a 107-84 pounding of the surprisingly decent New Jersey Nets. We had a very good overall game with Rondo leading the way with a 18 point, 10 assist and 5 rebound game to go with Ray Allen scoring 20 points and Amir Johnson waking up from the bench to score 19 points in 21 minutes.

Toronto Raptors 3-9

Not the day I was waiting for with Boston coming to town, and we lost again in the fourth quarter 97-90, by being outscored 35-23 in the last. Bargnani stunk it up for 4 points on 2/11 shooting and Calderon doing a bit better, filling it up with 16 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists. On our side, Rajon Rondo played a heck of a game against his old brethren going for 18 points, 12 assists and 7 rebounds with Ray Allen chipping in for 19 points. Ed Davis also played well with 12 points and 14 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 3-10

November ends with a 103-77 whitewash of Charlotte at home. We had 6 players in double digit scoring with Jarrett Jack coming off the bench for 20 points. Rajon Rondo chipped in with 10 points and 16 assists. All Charlotte could muster was DJ Augustin’s 17 points off the bench.

Toronto Raptors 4-10

Putting a dampener on proceedings were the medical staff saying that Rondo has a sore foot and will be in trouble for 5 or so days.

So thus ends my first month of general managing an NBA team, which got us to a record of 4-10 equal last in the Eastern Conference with Charlotte but a hell of a lot better than the league cellar dwellers the Timberwolves, who are dying at 2-11. We are 8.5 games behind the out of nowhere Philadelphia 76ers who are streaking at 13-2 to start the season for the division and conference lead. I don’t think anyone saw that happening. Behind them are the equally confusing Detroit Pistons at 9-5, with Miami right behind them at 9-6. Out west, the Los Angeles Lakers have taken an early lead with an 11-2 record, with Dallas and New Orleans 2.5 games back.

In the six games since the trade, our two prizes have been averaging (6 games 3-3):
Rondo – 15.7 points, 5.3 rebounds and 11.2 assists
Allen – 15.2 points and 4.5 rebounds.

While on Boston (7 games – 5-2):
Bargnani – 12.6 points, 7.9 rebounds (his first 3 games were 21/7, 14/15, 24/6 and looked like a steal, then scored a total of 29 points in the next 4 games)
Calderon – 16.4 points, 6.3 assists.

Toronto Top Scorers – Ray Allen (17.5), Rajon Rondo (16.3), Jarrett Jack (14.0)
Toronto Top Rebounders – Earl Barron (7.9), Ed Davis (5.8), Rajon Rondo (5.3)
Toronto Top Assisters – Rajon Rondo (10.7), Leandro Barbosa (2.5)

League Top Scorers – Kevin Durant OKC (29.0), Kobe Bryant LAL (28.7), Stephen Jackson CHA (26.9)
League Top Rebounders – Dwight Howard ORL (14.5), Andrew Bogut MIL (14.4), Al Horford ATL (13.9)
League Top Assisters – Chris Paul NOH (11.4), Steve Nash PHO (10.8), Rajon Rondo TOR (10.7)
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby zike_42 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Our trade with the Celtics was the only one for the month. I guess everyone isn’t as impatient as I am.

Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder was named Player of the Month, averaging 29.0 points, 7.4 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 1.4 steals and 0.9 blocks per game while leading his team to a 5-11 record in the west.

Evan Turner was impressive in the month of November, commanding his 76ers to a league best 13-2 record while averaging 15.4 points, 6.6 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.7 steals and 0.6 blocks per game and was rightly chosen as the Rookie of the Month.

I’m looking to make another trade or two to cut salary. We have a few contracts that are too long for my liking, with Amir Johnson’s 5 year $35 million on the top of the pile. But it’s not that easy.

The one weakness Rajon Rondo has is that he is a TERRIBLE free throw shooter, and in our first game in December showcased that. He went 9/24, but that was the only chink in his armour in our 106-93 win over the Hawks when he exploded for 21 points, 11 assists and 9 rebounds. Ray Allen chipped in with 24 points and we withstood a 26 point, 18 rebound haul by Al Horford. We shot a massive 55 free throws, hitting 32 (58%).

Toronto Raptors 5-10

I was expecting the worst going into Los Angeles to go against the Lakers, but a 113-65 stomping was not what I expected. I will let the stats paint the picture:

Toronto 30% FG
Toronto top scorer – Rajon Rondo/DeMar Derozan 10
Toronto outrebounded 63-30
Kobe Bryant 25 points
Andrew Bynum 26 points, 14 rebounds
Pau Gasol 8 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks
Lamar Odom 17 points, 8 rebounds.
The less I talk about it the better, onto the next game.

Toronto Raptors 5-11

I had a call from the Toronto News asking if Amir Johnson was on the trading block. I am always honest in these situations and told them briefly that I am shopping him for cap relief. The next day, Amir came into my office and told me that he was relieved to know the facts, and that he had heard rumours and didn’t know what was real or not. I told him that if he has any other issues come straight to me and I will tell him honestly what is going on. There are no secrets in this organization, I think.

We go down in a close one in Denver 109-102 where we came back from 16 down in the 3rd but couldn’t close that 5-7 point gap. Rondo against paced us with 24 points and 12 assists, with 4 steals on the side. DeMar has been playing well recently and tonight was no different, scoring 16 points in 17 minutes. With Nene being out with a broken wrist Al Harrington of all people at centre wins player of the game with 25 points.

Toronto Raptors 5-12

I hit the phones hard because I want to start shedding some salary. First step is to get rid of Amir Johnson. Unfortunately no one really wants a 6’9, 210lb PF with a huge contract that won’t stop fouling. But just before I give up the 76ers give me some love.

Toronto trades:
PF Amir Johnson
PG Marcus Banks
C Solomon Alabi

Philadelphia trades:
SF Jason Kapono
PF Darius Songalia

Why for Toronto:
This was a clean cut salary dump. Signing Amir Johnson to that ridiculous contract was bizarre and if Elwood’s plan to cut salary was to happen, he had to go. Songalia has some go in him still and will pick up the slack on the 4/5 positions, but the main thing is that both have expiring contracts THIS YEAR.

Why for Philadelphia:
Security. Evan Turner is young and will go through injuries until his body becomes accustomed to NBA life, which is where Banks comes in. With Turner out, Jrue Holiday steps in at SG leaving a hole for a back-up point guard. Amir Johnson backs up the aging duo of Elton Brand and Tony Battie while Spencer Hawes is out. Alabi is a low risk, high reward player that the 76ers can stash until he gets better.

Winner – Draw
The 76ers are rolling to start the season and weren’t using either traded player, so getting a deeper bench will be good for them. But shedding Johnson’s contract is great news for the Raptors, so it evens out.

Pretty much sums it up, but if I can dump Jarrett Jack’s 3 year $15.6 million and Linas Kleiza’s 4 year $20 million contracts I will sleep easy. I’m worried that we are thin at PF so I sign Rasheed Wallace (gulp).

It’s the battle of elite PGs and Deron Williams shows how much growing Rondo has to go by blasting us with 20 points, 5 rebounds and 15 assists in their 97-87 win. Rajon Rondo doesn’t embarrass himself with 11 points, 9 rebounds and 8 assists but fouls out.
Our new recruits play well:
Rasheed Wallace – 5 points, 7 rebounds (but shot 2-13)
Darius Songalia – 8 points, 11 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 5-13

Leandro Barbosa came into my office in a bit of a funk. He was worried about his game after not scoring in double figures in 10 games. I told him to keep his head up and his stroke will come back, he is too good of a player to keep sucking. He seemed to cheer up and promised he would try harder. It’s probably good that I have a 16 year old son so I know what to say when someone gets down on themselves.

We lose in overtime against Portland, going down 121-116. Brandon Roy was magnificent scoring 40 points and we were outrebounded again 61-44. We had 3 players at 20 points or more – Ray Allen (23), Rajon Rondo (20 points, 14 assists but fouled out again) and Linas Kleiza woke up and scored 24 points.

Toronto Raptors 5-14

OK, losing to the equally poor Cavs, by 28 no doubt, is a problem going down 120-92. Mo Williams was great with 20 points and 11 assists, and our only resistance was Ray Allen with 33 points.

Toronto Raptors 5-15

I’m getting short with Jay Triano, even though it’s not all his fault. I will give him 5 more games to see if he can do something but I have heard rumours that Rudy Tomjanovich is looking to get back into coaching.

It’s the 6-14 Pacers vs. the 5-15 Raptors and we get smashed 113-88. Nothing to note on our side, with Danny Granger scoring 30 points for the victors.

Toronto Raptors 5-16

We lost badly again 115-93 to the Nets. Rondo tried his best with 15 points, 5 rebounds and 15 assists and Ray Allen scored 27. Devin Harris had a great game with 21 points 9 rebounds and 8 assists. It is what it is; we just don’t have the talent this year.

Toronto Raptors 5-17

Another week, another player in my office, this time Earl Barron. He is worried that his gloss has gone and the team thinks he sucks. I told him what I told Leandro and Earl seemed to take it as ‘I’m awesome so I don’t have to try’, I didn’t say anything then but I will monitor the situation.

I didn’t expect to win against the quality of the Hornets so wasn’t that surprised when we got smashed 108-86. Somehow Chris Paul didn’t get player of the game with a stat line of 13 points, 10 rebounds and 12 assists, it went to David West with 24 points and 12 rebounds. Ray Allen top scored for us with 23 points.

Toronto Raptors 5-18

After the game at the media Q&A I was asked about the availability of Linas Kleiza which I promptly replied that he was on the block. He obviously didn’t like this and stormed out, bitching about me to Leandro Barbosa on the way home from the arena.

So of course I went shopping to see what I could get for him.

I tried to pry Danilo Gallinari from the Knicks but they wouldn’t have a bar of it, then Shane Battier from Houston but they wouldn’t take Kleiza’s contract. In fact, no-one wants his contract so he is safe for now.

So close. We blew another 4th quarter lead losing 96-92 against the quality Nets. We got outscored 27-17 in the last with Brook Lopez pummelling us with 24 points and 19 rebounds. Rondo fouled out again, which is starting to become a problem.

Toronto Raptors 5-19

And on possibly his last game as coach, Jay Triano pulls a rabbit out of a hat by beating the 18-5 Mavericks by a solitary point, 116-115. Even a monster game by Brendan Heywood of all people (24 points, 17 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 3 blocks) couldn’t stop us behind Jarrett Jack (26 points) and Rajon Rondo (22 points, 11 assists and didn’t foul out). Jay stays for now.

Toronto Raptors 6-19

Keeping Kevin Durant to 8 points below his average would mean a win for us right? Nope, losing to Oklahoma City 84-78. Ray Allen must have got leather poisoning after the game after going 8/27 for 21 points.

Toronto Raptors 6-20

The Spurs have been struggling but they still smashed us 110-87. Their big 3 won it for them, with Tim Duncan (28 points, 16 rebounds), Tony Parker (26 points, 7 assists) and Manu Ginobili (26 points) in fine form. Rondo top scored for us with 21 points.

Toronto Raptors 6-21

I really wish we could win a road game, progressing to 1-14 on the road with a 98-87 loss to the Clippers. Baron Davis top scored with 29 points and we had nothing of note.

Toronto Raptors 6-22

What was that about a road win? It arrived the very next game with a 92-87 win over Sacramento. Rajon Rondo (who else) played great with 24 points and Ed Davis had a massive 6 blocks.

Toronto Raptors 7-22

Our last game for 2010 was another road beating, this time by the hand of the Portland Trailblazers, 101-78. Brandon Roy played well again with 32 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists. Jarrett Jack was our lone highlight with 22 points. Ray Allen stunk it up going 4/22 for 9 points.

Toronto Raptors 7-23

So in December we went 3-13 for a total of 7-23 landing us second last in the east in front of Charlotte who are 7-24. Even Minnesota are above us now at 8-21.
Miami are now the number 1 seed in the east with a 20-9 record, with New Jersey half a game behind and Orlando 2 games behind them.
Philadelphia have come down to Earth with a thud, going 3-11 in the month.

The Lakers are still leading the west with a 26-4 record, breaking away from the Nuggets and Hornets, 4.5 and 5.5 games behind respectively.

Toronto Top Scorers – Ray Allen (17.5), Rajon Rondo (16.1), Jarrett Jack (12.7)
Toronto Top Rebounders – Earl Barron (7.5), Ed Davis (6.1), Rasheed Wallace (5.5)
Toronto Top Assisters – Rajon Rondo (9.5), Jarrett Jack (2.2)

League Top Scorers – Kobe Bryant LAL (30.1), Kevin Durant OKC (27.7), Stephen Jackson CHA (26.9)
League Top Rebounders – Dwight Howard ORL (14.1), Andrew Bogut MIL (13.2), Al Horford ATL (12.8)
League Top Assisters – Chris Paul NOH (11.5), Steve Nash PHO (10.3), Rajon Rondo TOR (9.5)

A look at the upcoming draftees who I’m hoping we will have the first choice of:

1 – PG Varlam Bebutov (Estonia) 18 years old
Bebutov is a tall point guard, but rail thin. He is very raw but is brimming with potential, all he needs is more experience and to hit the gym and he could be a monster.

2 – SF Kevin King (Syracuse) Freshman
The Orange haven’t seen a freshman as good as King since Carmelo Anthony. He can do anything, showed by his stat line of 32.1 points, 10.6 rebounds, 8.8 assists and 2.5 steals AS A FRESHMAN. He would be my #1 right now.

3 – C Michael Nicholson (Texas) Junior
Big body (6’11, 280lbs) who knows how to use it. Traditional back to the basket player that has great hands.

4 – PF Mario Hayes (Wake Forest) Freshman
One part of the Demon Deacons monster front line that is putting up big numbers but is getting outshone by his teammate (read below). Only reason he is at #4 is that he is a freshman.

5 – C James Blanchard (Wake Forest) Sophomore
Second half and the terror at WF, averaging 19.7 points, 16.1 rebounds and 6.3 assists. When all is said and done, Blanchard will be drafted before Hayes.
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Rough start. I would consider firing Triano just on general principle.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby zike_42 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 am

Again ours was the only trade for the month, maybe everyone is waiting for the deadline.

Kobe Bryant from the Los Angeles Lakers won Player of the Month in December, averaging 31.2 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 2.1 steals and 0.2 blocks while leading the Lakers to a 15-2 record.

DeMarcus Cousins won the Rookie of the Month while playing for the Sacramento Kings. Cousins averaged 10.6 points, 7.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.1 steals and 1.6 blocks with the Kings going 2-12.

Our first game of the year was the usual road thrashing, this time to the lowly Warriors 111-88. Their guards killed us with Monta Ellis (25 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds) and Steph Curry (22 points, 6 assists) showing how to win a game. Rajon Rondo was our only shining light with 19 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists.

Toronto Raptors 7-24

I called Jay Triano into my office the next day and laid down the law.
“Sorry Jay, but I’m giving you 5 games, and if you can’t win 3 of them, I’m going to have to let you go.”
“What? But this is a rebuilding year! I’m doing the best I can!” Triano yelled.
“It’s not good enough.” I said flatly.
“It’s those Rudy T rumours, isn’t it?”
“Honestly, yes.”
He was taken by surprise by my honesty, and as he got to the door he turned and said, “I’m not done here yet.” And stormed off.

Triano’s Life – Game 1 of 5
Not the best matchup for the first game, going up against the 22-10 Nuggets, and we go down 108-92. Al Harrington is still the starting centre and puts up 29 points and 11 rebounds, helped by Carmelo Anthony’s 25 points and 9 rebounds. Ray Allen scores 30 points and Earl Barron grabs 12 rebounds but they are just too good.

Toronto Raptors 7-25

Triano’s Life – Game 2 of 5 (0-1)
Next game isn’t much better going against the 20-13 Rockets. But it’s at home where we are respectable. We win 107-100 with Rajon Rondo playing well (of course) with 18 points, 10 assists and 4 steals but it’s Rasheed Wallace showing some depth with 8 points and 9 rebounds in 21 minutes.

Toronto Raptors 8-25

Triano’s Life – Game 3 of 5 (1-1)
This 5 game lifeline is becoming brutal, with the next game coming up against the 20-13 Magic, but they have all been at home. We smash (110-99) them in spite of Dwight Howard’s 16 points and 20 rebounds by countering with 6 players in double figures, led by Rondo with 24 points, and Leandro Barbosa with 10 points in 7 minutes.

Toronto Raptors 9-25

Triano’s Life – Game 4 of 5 (2-1)
Our first road game in this stretch and we lose badly to Milwaukee 111-90. John Salmons plays well with 34 points, nearly matched by Ray Allen with 29 points. Earl Barron has his way with Andrew Bogut to the tune of 20 points and 14 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 9-25

Triano’s Life – Game 5 of 5 (2-2)
So this game will dictate what happens to Jay Triano and it’s on the road against the 12-21 Wizards. And we get smashed, 106-85. Gilbert Arenas continues his stellar season (averaging 22 points per game) with 35 points, 5 rebounds and 8 assists. Rajon Rondo tries his best with 17 points, 8 rebounds and 12 assists but we shoot 34% from the field, dooming Jay Triano.

Toronto Raptors 9-27

Jay doesn’t even see me, he emails his resignation. I call Rudy Tomjanovich and he accepts my 3 year, approx $4 million a year.

Our first game is at home to Memphis and it’s business as usual with a 102-83 drubbing. It will take a while for the team to buy into the new philosophies. OJ Mayo scores 26 and we have 5 players with 10 or more, but it’s just not enough. It might be time to shop Linas Kleiza again.

Toronto Raptors 9-28

I couldn’t trade Linas Kleiza, but I did get a taker for another player.

Toronto trades:
PG Leandro Barbosa

Oklahoma City trades:
2013 2nd round draft pick

Why for Toronto:
Another salary dump, this time for pure cap space. The pick will be low but that doesn’t matter to Toronto. Getting out from under Barbosa’s 2 year, $14.6 million contract is great for a rebuilding team.

Why for Oklahoma City:
Not sure. They had cap space but decided to spend it on Barbosa. The only reason would be to bulk up the bench as he is now the first point guard off the bench.

Winner – Toronto
They weren’t using him and trading him for pure cap is a great move. They are now under the cap by $140,000.

We need another PG, and with Iverson still there it was very tempting but I went with Sergio Rodriguez.

That would be right. After not doing anything for us, Barbosa nets 10 points and 10 assists in the Thunder’s loss to the Bulls. At least he is getting a run now.

We lose to the Celtics 114-88 with Kevin Garnett playing SF while Paul Pierce is injured and gets 20 points and 9 rebounds. They have a huge front line:
SF – Kevin Garnett 6’11
PF – Andrea Bargnani 7’0
C – Jermaine O’Neal 6’11
But it is negated by Nate Robinson (5’9) starting at SG. Ray Allen couldn’t capitalize, scoring only 13 points. Sergio debuts to 7 points and 2 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 9-29

We turn around and play in Boston the next night and lose again 101-82. Bargnani scores 20 points and Ray Allen wakes up but overall we played terrible.

Toronto Raptors 9-30

The Chicago Bulls come into town and leave with a win, beating us 115-93. Carlos Boozer plays great with 27 points and 10 rebounds. We had 5 players in double figures but we got outrebounded 49-30 which sealed our fate.

Toronto Raptors 9-31

We lose our 7th straight game against the Pacers, going down 118-104. Danny Granger lights us up for 39 points, 6 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 steals. Our only resistance is Ray Allen with 34 points.

Toronto Raptors 9-32

Another game, another loss, this time to the Suns 111-98. Rajon Rondo tries hard for 20 points, 7 rebounds and 13 assists but we get massacred on the boards again, 49-33.

Toronto Raptors 9-33

We get slaughtered 124-88 to Atlanta where they shot 62% from the field. Earl Barron had a double double.

Toronto Raptors 9-34

The feeling in the team is despair. Rudy T has not won a game yet (0-7) and it’s starting to get to everyone. We need a win.

It doesn’t come in the next game, losing to the equally pitiful Pistons 109-97. Jarrett Jack actually does something with 23 points but when Ben Wallace scores 18 points on a team, they are in trouble.

Toronto Raptors 9-35

I’m trying to find a rebounder, any rebounder for the team and we continually get beat on the glass but no-one is biting.

We lose again to the Bulls 114-97 with Boozer again the star with 34 points. Our top scorer was Rondo with 15 points (along with 9 assists). Enough said.

Toronto Raptors 9-36

Huge game in New York with the Knicks going down the Grizzlies 141-134 in triple overtime. All 5 Memphis starters had 20 or more points, while Danilo Gallinari top scored with 40 for the losers.

We finally have a win and snap our 11 game losing streak, winning over the hapless Kings 111-106. Rajon Rondo has a monster game to the tune of 27 points, 15 assists and 9 rebounds. Jarrett Jack helps out with 20 points. Rookie phenom DeMarcus Cousins has 20 points, 12 rebounds and 4 blocks for the defeated.

Toronto Raptors 10-36

We finish off the month with a 106-95 loss to the streaking Nets. Brook Lopez plays a blinder with 23 points, 12 rebounds and 4 blocks. Ray Allen shoots terribly but still manages 23 points.

Toronto Raptors 10-37

So we finish January going 3-14 for the month and we are officially the worst team in the NBA. We have not won in the division (0-10) and are 2-24 on the road. I guess the only way is up.

Chicago has taken the lead in the east with a 32-14 record, with New Jersey (29-17) and Miami (27-17) on their tails.

The Los Angeles Lakers are running away with the lead, streaking to a 37-7 record through January. Denver are trying to stay close, only 4 games back but New Orleans in 3rd are 9 games behind the Lakers.

Toronto Top Scorers – Ray Allen (18.1), Rajon Rondo (16.0), Jarrett Jack (12.4)
Toronto Top Rebounders – Earl Barron (7.9), Ed Davis (5.2), Rajon Rondo (5.0)
Toronto Top Assisters – Rajon Rondo (9.3), Ray Allen (2.3), Jarrett Jack (2.1)

League Top Scorers – Kobe Bryant LAL (30.1), Kevin Durant OKC (27.9), Danny Granger IND (26.3)
League Top Rebounders – Dwight Howard ORL (14.3), Andrew Bogut MIL (13.1), Al Horford ATL (12.7)
League Top Assisters – Chris Paul NOH (10.9), Steve Nash PHO (9.8), Rajon Rondo TOR (9.3)

There has been a shakeup in the draft rankings with a few new-comers into the top 5 (number in brackets was previous rank):

1 (2) – SF Kevin King (Syracuse) Freshman – continuing his magnificent play by nearly averaging a triple double. He is my lock for the first pick of the draft unless there is a massive collapse in his game.

2 (1) – PG Varlam Bebutov (Estonia) 18 years old – slipped a bit because of his rawness, but it has been King’s stellar play, not Bebutov’s poor play that has dropped him.

3 (3) – C Michael Nicholson (Texas) Junior – Continues to be the big man of choice with his rivals moving down the rankings while he stayed strong.

4 (NR) – PF Jason Beck (St. Mary’s) Senior – He has only come onto the scene lately because he plays at St. Mary’s, but he isn’t underrated any more. 24.3 points and 12.7 rebounds shows that he is a monster, but is it just lack of competition or is he legit?

5 (NR) – PG Jules Riley (Clemson) Freshman – Only recently wrestled the starters position and is making the most of it. Still raw and needs to work on his jump shot but shows signs of a winner.

Mario Hayes (4) has slipped to 7th because of a blow-up with a teammate, and his teammate (not the same one as the fight) James Blachard (5) has slipped to 10th because his slow feet have been exposed as a possible weakness.

All in all, it’s a big man draft, with 11 of the first 15 players ranked are forwards/centres. The first SG is the freshman Chris Norvell out of Cincinnati and he is ranked 12th. I don't care what the draft is like as long as we have the number one pick.
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby zike_42 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Still no trades, but the trade deadline is coming up this month, so I’m guessing there will be some around then, even if it is just us trading.

Kobe Bryant continues his stellar play by picking up his second consecutive Player of the Month for January. Bryant averaged 30.2 points, 4.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.9 steals while heading the league leading Los Angeles Lakers to a 11-3 record for the month.

Evan Turner from the Philadelphia 76ers won his second Rookie of the Year title, averaging 19.0 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.3 steals, with the 76ers going 5-10 for the month.

Our first game in February was another loss, going down 110-97 to the Bucks. Andrew Bogut plays superbly putting up 25 points and 11 rebounds. We need more help for Rajon Rondo who is trying his best but not getting any help. He put up 29 points, 10 rebounds and 9 assists, but our next highest scorer was Ed Davis with 14.

Toronto Raptors 10-38

For some reason we play well against Orlando and we win 108-81 at home. Ray Allen scores 21 points and Jarrett Jack puts up 18 off the bench.

Toronto Raptors 11-38

We go down 117-106 to the Cavaliers where they shot 57% from the field. Mo Williams shows up Rajon Rondo for 36 points and 7 assists. Our three guards: Rondo (24 points, 5 rebounds, and 10 assists), Ray Allen (20 points) and Jarrett Jack (20 points) keeps it close.

Toronto Raptors 11-39

We lose the next night to the runaway Lakers who have not lost their 10th game yet, going down 119-101. Kobe is sublime with 34 points and they shot 58% from the field. We have 5 players in double figures but can’t stop the Laker Freight train.

Toronto Raptors 11-40

I’m getting reports that the likely #1 pick, Kelvin King, is a fantastic defender and scorer which all the more to get the first pick.

We go to New Orleans and get smashed 105-88. Chris Paul (13 points, 7 rebounds, 15 assists) just gets the best of Rajon Rondo (12 points, 5 rebounds, 10 assists) but David West with 26 points and Trevor Ariza with 23 points and 14 rebounds put the game out of reach.

Toronto Raptors 11-41

We shoot 36% from the field as we go down to the Grizzlies 105-86. Marc Gasol pulverises Earl Barron with 23 points and 8 rebounds. Rajon Rondo top scores with 20 points.

Toronto Raptors 11-42

I’m just waiting until the off-season because losing to the pitiful Timberwolves 103-76 is not fun to watch. Kevin Love showcases his rebounding skill with 13 to go with 14 points. Our top scorer was a paltry 14 (Rondo).

Toronto Raptors 11-43

Tim Duncan shows how good he is with 23 points, 10 rebounds, 5 blocks and 4 assists in their demolition 120-97 win. Rookie Tiago Splitter plays well with 20 points and 8 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 11-44

It’s All-Star weekend and on the Friday Josh Childress (PHO) wins the Slam Dunk Contest, Beating Derrick Brown (CHA) 65-63.
Mike Miller (MIA) was in a league of his own, winning the 3 Point Shootout. In the final he scored 22 out of 30, 7 more than his competitor Nate Robinson (BOS) and 8 more than Kyle Korver (CHI).

I try and I try and I try to trade Linas Kleiza and there is only one team that has any interest but they don’t want to do a straight up deal, but we work something out.

Toronto trades:
SF Linas Kleiza
SF Da’Sean Butler

Los Angeles Lakers trades:
SG Sasha Vujacic

Why for Toronto:
They get out from under Linas Kleiza’s terrible deal. He started every game but only averaged 7.9 points and 3.3 rebounds. He didn’t bring anything to the table and was getting antsy about trade rumours, bringing the whole team down. Vujacic’s contract is expiring this year.

Why the Los Angeles:
Lamar Odom has asked to be traded and Kleiza can slip into his position, albeit less talented. De’Sean Butler has defensive talent but not much else, and was not getting any burn.

Winner – Toronto
Their rebuilding process just got a lot better, trading away their biggest cap killer. They will be a shade under $30 million for the off-season, but will they hold it until the next year where the free agent crop is massive (headed by Carmelo Anthony and Blake Griffin).

Sasha Vujacic is dead weight and most likely won’t play, but the contract is so much better than Kleiza’s.

Our new line up is as follows:
PG Rajon Rondo
SG Ray Allen
SF DeMar Derozan
PF Ed Davis
C Earl Barron

The Sophomore team beats the rookies 133-118 with Tyreke Evans winning Player of the Game with 27 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds and 5 steals. John Wall puts on a show with 27 points, 17 assists and 9 rebounds. We have David Andersen in the Soph team for 7 minutes scoring 2 points and Ed Davis with 5 minutes and 2 points.

We had no all-stars (boo for Rondo) and the East wins 133-117 with Stephen Jackson winning MVP with 29 points and 6 rebounds.

A day before his second all-star appearance, Mo Williams was traded to the Nuggets for JR Smith and Anthony Carter (which I will go over in next month’s recap) so we played the Mo-less Cavs and beat them 105-95. DeMar scores 10 points in his first start at SF and Rajon plays very well for 22 points, 8 assists and 6 rebounds. All up, we played great as a team and hopefully we turn a corner.

Toronto Raptors 12-44

Well that was short lived. We got humiliated 133-92 by the Knicks where at one stage we were down by 51 points. Rookie Timofey Mozgov cuts loose for 22 points and 13 rebounds off the bench. Nothing on the Raptors side is worth noting.

Toronto Raptors 12-45

We turned around for a home game against the Knicks and the result was the same, a 113-89 beating. Another European beat us, this time Danilo Gallinari with 25 points and 10 rebounds. We had 5 players in double figures but we shot only 35% from the field.

Toronto Raptors 12-46

There might have been a chance against the Timberwolves but no, 95-79. Kevin Love steps up with 18 points and 17 rebounds. We shot terribly, with DeMar going 2/12 and Ray Allen 8/20.

Toronto Raptors 12-47

We went 2-10 in February which keeps us firmly rooted to the bottom of the league and I’m hoping next year will be better.
Chicago is still on top of the east with a 38-20 record, with Orlando (35-22) and Miami (33-23) close behind.
The Lakers are still rolling at 46-11. Denver is slipping back down to 5.5 games behind and then New Orleans not in the race 8.5 games behind.

Toronto Top Scorers – Ray Allen (17.6), Rajon Rondo (16.1), Jarrett Jack (12.4)
Toronto Top Rebounders – Earl Barron (7.7), Rajon Rondo (5.2), Darius Songalia (5.0)
Toronto Top Assisters – Rajon Rondo (9.2), Ray Allen (2.2), Jarrett Jack (2.1)

League Top Scorers – Kobe Bryant LAL (29.6), Kevin Durant OKC (27.7), Danny Granger IND (26.5)
League Top Rebounders – Dwight Howard ORL (14.4), Andrew Bogut MIL (12.9), Al Horford ATL (12.6)
League Top Assisters – Chris Paul NOH(11.1), Steve Nash PHO (9.9), Rajon Rondo TOR (9.2)

As you can see, Rajon Rondo is keeping this team from being one of the worst ever. I just hope he realises what I’m trying to do with this team and it won’t happen overnight.

Draft rankings:

1 (1) – SF Kevin King (Syracuse) Freshman – what else can be said that hasn’t already. Legit star material with a great head on his shoulders. The complete package.

2 (2) – PG Varlam Bebutov (Estonia) 18 years old – continues to entrance the recruiters with bubbling potential. Looking more and more comfortable running a team.

3 (NR) – C James Blanchard (Wake Forest) Sophomore – back in the top 5 even though his stats dropped. A mountain of a player who has great court vision for a big man (5.9apg).

4 (3) – C Michael Nicholson (Texas) Junior – Dropped because of Blanchard’s great play. Great race for best centre in the draft.

5 (4) – PF Jason Beck (St. Mary’s) Senior – Upped his stats immensely to 28.1 points and 14.7 rebounds even with the spotlight on him now.

There has been a few trades this month which I will go over next month.
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby zike_42 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:22 am

Dwight Howard led the Orlando Magic to a 9-4 record in the Month of February, averaging 23.0 points, 15.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.8 steals and 3.3 blocks with 3 20 point/20 rebound games, nabbing him the Player of the Month crown.

DeMarcus Cousins won his second Rookie of the Month title for February, averaging 11.8 points, 8.8 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.1 steals and 1.6 blocks with the Sacramento Kings going 5-7 in the month.

There were a few trades last month, and here is an overview.

Utah trades:
C Kyrylo Fesenko
C Francisco Elson

Los Angeles Clippers trades:
SF Rasual Butler

Why for Utah:
Their SFs off the bench are too small CJ Miles and too raw rookie Gordon Haywood, so Rasual Butler is a good pick up. He slots in at the 7th man and first SF off the bench.

Why for Los Angeles:
Their first centre off the bench is 6’7 Craig Smith, which should explain everything. The two new fives will keep the position warm until DeAndre Jordan hopefully fulfils his potential.

Winner – Utah
The two centres aren’t particularly good and Butler will slot well into the Jazz. The idea was good for the Clippers but the workings failed them.

Miami trades:
C Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF Juwan Howard
2011 1st Round Pick (MIA)

Sacramento trades:
PF Carl Landry

Why for Miami:
Landry is averaging 15.4 points and 6.0 rebounds which give them a huge punch off the bench. It makes them extraordinarily thin at centre with only undersized Udonis Haslem (starting) and Joel Anthony who can play the position.

Why for Sacramento:
This trade gives them 5 centres. That’s right, 5. Landry was due to a big payday next season and it looks like the Kings didn’t want to pay him with Jason Thompson and DeMarcus Cousins being their big man building blocks.

Winner – Miami
Even though they are very, very thin at centre they got the best piece of the trade and boosts their bench which was lacking.

Denver trades:
SG JR Smith
PG Anthony Carter

Cleveland trades:
PG Mo Williams

Why for Denver:
Getting an All-Star for a streaky shooter is always great, and to boot they have him coming off the bench. Mo is averaging 21.4 points, 7.5 assists and 3.4 rebounds which are huge numbers. He is injured at the moment so it’s not sure he will step into the starting five when he gets better.

Why for Cleveland:
They think that the duo of Daniel Gibson and Ramon Sessions are capable to run the point and JR Smith has the ability to take over games. He steps into the starting SG position.

Winner – Denver
Anytime you get an All-Star for peanuts is a win, even though he is coming off the bench for the time being.

Big win for Denver, and they were good to start with.

We get beaten 116-102 to Phoenix with the two elite point guards showing how good they are. Steve Nash goes off for 19 points, 10 assists and 6 rebounds against Rajon Rondo’s 17 points, 12 rebounds and 8 assists. They shoot 55% but we outrebound them 49-37 for once.

Toronto Raptors 12-48

Dallas has 3 players over 20 points (Nowitzki 22, Haywood 22, Terry 24) stomped us 114-92. We had Ray Allen with 22 points along with Rondo with 21 and DeRozan with 16.

Toronto Raptors 12-49

It hasn’t felt like it but we have a 1-12 record over our last 13 games with a 125-90 to Houston. Kevin Martin blows up with 43 points and Aaron Brooks netting 17 points and 11 assists. Nothing on our side is worth reporting.

Toronto Raptors 12-50

Miami are looking dangerous and we didn’t stand a chance with a 105-81 drubbing. Chris Bosh rips us for 22 points and 19 rebounds, helped by Dwayne Wade with 28 points and 7 assists. Rondo was one of only two players to score in double figures (Ray Allen – 10) by getting 21 points, 10 assists and 7 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 12-51

We finally win a game against Utah 96-84. Deron Williams and Rajon Rondo go head to head with Williams tallying 22 points, 10 assists and 9 rebounds while Rondo matching him with 18 points, 12 assists and 7 rebounds. Jarrett Jack does well from the bench with 16 points.

Toronto Raptors 13-51

Rajon Rondo has his best game with 37 points, 9 assists and 8 rebounds; too bad it was in a 108-89 loss to Philadelphia. Ed Davis had 6 blocks but only 1 point. Elton Brand was the best for the winners with 18 points and 14 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 13-52

Rondo continues to fill it up with 32 points, 10 assists, 9 rebounds and 6 steals but it doesn’t change the outcome with a 107-98 loss to Detroit. Rookie Greg Monroe plays well for 20 points.

Toronto Raptors 13-53

Third game in a row Rondo pours it on with 34 points, 14 assists, 7 rebounds and 6 steals and this time it’s a 116-90 win over Indiana. We have 5 players in double figures and keep the Pacers to 39% shooting (we shot 54%).

Toronto Raptors 14-53

Rondo cools off and it ends in a 111-87 loss to lowly Charlotte. Gerald Wallace plays well for 28 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks, helped by Nazr Mohammed going 8/8 from the field for 16 points. Ray Allen scores 18 points in the loss.

Toronto Raptors 14-54

We go back home and face Charlotte again, winning this time 103-91. Tyrus Thomas does his best with 22 rebounds and 4 blocks but Rondo again saves us with 23 points.

Toronto Raptors 15-54

We have our first winning streak (of 2) since we won 2 in a row way back when our record was 9-25. This win was a 111-108 nail biter against the Clippers. We had 3 players with 20 or more (Rondo 20 points, 15 assists, DeRozan 21 points and Ray Allen 23 points). Baron Davis had 20 assists but 8 turnovers, Blake Griffin looked good with 20 points and 8 rebounds with Eric Gordon scoring 26 points.

Toronto Raptors 16-54

Three games in a row! Where was this a few months back. We beat Milwaukee 107-90 with Ray Allen playing fantastically for 27 points. Rajon Rondo helps out with 17 assists. Andrew Bogut plays well with 15 points, 10 rebounds and 6 blocks. Can we make it 4 in a row?

Toronto Raptors 17-54

Yes it can! We beat a quality team (for us) in the 33-39 Thunder 114-103. Kevin Durant blows up for 40 points and Russell Westbrook runs for 24 points and 10 assists. But on our side we have lots of great games –
Ray Allen – 33 points, 10 rebounds
Ed Davis – 16 points, 10 rebounds, 4 blocks
Rajon Rondo – 13 points, 10 assists
Jarrett Jack – 17 points
I wonder why we are playing well now instead of a few months ago.

Toronto Raptors 18-54

That ends March with us going 6-7 after losing 4 in a row to start the month and winning 4 in a row to end. We are still last in the league and still have an atrocious away record (2-34) but winning 4 in a row is a team lifter.

Chicago is leading the east at 49-25, with Orlando 1 game behind, Miami 2.5 games behind then daylight (New Jersey is 10 games back).

The Lakers are still way out in front in the west at 56-16 but Denver has also won 50+ games with 51-23. New Orleans and Portland are tied at 48-23 for third.

Toronto Top Scorers – Ray Allen (17.6), Rajon Rondo (17.0), Jarrett Jack (12.7)
Toronto Top Rebounders – Earl Barron (7.6), Rajon Rondo (5.2), Ed Davis (5.1)
Toronto Top Assisters – Rajon Rondo (9.4), Ray Allen (2.2), Jarrett Jack (2.2)

League Top Scorers – Kobe Bryant LAL (29.7), Kevin Durant OKC (27.7), Danny Granger IND (25.6)
League Top Rebounders – Dwight Howard ORL (14.6), Andrew Bogut MIL (12.9), Al Horford ATL (12.1)
League Top Assisters – Chris Paul NOH (11.4), Steve Nash PHO (10.3), Rajon Rondo TOR (9.4)

Draft Rankings:

1 (2) – PG Varlam Bebutov (Estonia) 18 years old – is coming about in leaps and bounds upping his averages to 17.8 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.7 assists from 13/4/3 a few months ago. Looking like a #1 pick now.

2 (1) – SF Kevin King (Syracuse) Freshman – numbers haven’t changed and still looks fantastic, but Bebutov is looking next level lately, which is why he has dropped.

3 (NR) – PF Mario Hayes (Wake Forest) Freshman- leaps back into the top 5 with huge games of 30+ points. Taking all the hype from his teammate James Blanchard who has dropped to 8th.

4 (4) – C Michael Nicholson (Texas) Junior – stays strong when other centres are dropping.

5 (5) – PF Jason Beck (St. Mary’s) Senior – stats dropped but position doesn’t. Continues great play.
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby zike_42 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:11 am

Kobe Bryant win Player of the Month again, this time averaging 29.9 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.3 steals as his streaking Lakers went 11-4.

Another name that has been on this page a few times is Evan Turner, who wins his 3rd Rookie of the Month award in March by averaging 18.0 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.3 steals and 0.9 blocks while going 9-6 with the 76ers.

It’s the last month of the regular season and us going for our 5th win a row against the 49-25 Bulls, and we win. That’s right; we beat a 49-25 team 108-104. We had 5 players in double figures led by, guess who, Rajon Rondo with 24 points, 9 assists and 8 rebounds. However, after the game I was told he has back spasms and is not going to be 100% for about a week. Derrick Rose was well below is best with 12 points, 13 assists and a whopping 9 turnovers.

Toronto Raptors 19-54

6 games in a row with a banged up Rondo and on the road against the 47-26 Magic is highly unlikely and we went down 116-92. Dwight Howard showed how good he is with a 36 point, 13 rebound masterpiece. Ray Allen scored 25 points for us.

Toronto Raptors 19-55

After the game Ray Allen blasted Rudy T over minutes which truthfully were way off the mark. So I went on the offensive and blasted him back telling him that he should have some respect for the coach. Obviously that didn’t go down well with Ray and is now pouting. I was quietly shopping him around the trade deadline and with DeRozan playing fairly well, coupled with the idea of getting Kevin King leaves Allen and his 2 year, $20 million contract the odd man out. Maybe at the draft he will be going somewhere else.

The drama with Allen carried on to the next game where we got absolutely spanked by the Knicks 130-98. Sergio Rodriguez top scored with 18 points in 14 minutes, but New York had 6 players in double figures and Raymond Felton had 17 assists.

Toronto Raptors 19-56

Another game against the Knicks and we go down in a heartbreaker 123-122. Two bench players were the stars in this game with Tony Douglas scoring 25 points and Jarrett Jack netting 30. Rajon Rondo also played well with 19 points, 11 rebounds and 8 assists but fouled out.

Toronto Raptors 19-57

Even though our season was gone a long time ago, it’s definitely gone now. We lost Rondo to a broken arm in the first quarter of the 100-76 loss to Atlanta. Jarrett Jack tried hard in his replacement with 10 points and 10 assists but we shot 34% from the field. Joe Johnson played well again with 27 points, 9 assists and 8 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 19-58

Who needs Rondo? We win our 20th game of the season with a 108-93 victory over Indiana. Jarrett Jack is superb with 21 points, 9 assists while shooting 7/9. We have 6 players in double figures. Roy Hibbert is valiant with 25 points and 17 rebounds.

Toronto Raptors 20-58

We lose to the Wizards in the next game 91-83 with Gilbert Arenas top scoring with 23 points and Ray Allen trying his best with 23 points.

Toronto Raptors 20-59

Our 60th loss of the season is a 105-86 stinker to Philadelphia. Andre Iguodala is great with 22 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists while our starting backcourt goes for 38 points, 7 rebounds and 11 assists. Just not enough without Rondo.

Toronto Raptors 20-60

Another game to the Wizards and this one is embarrassing, 100-67. We shoot a lowly 30% from the field where Jarrett Jack was the only sign of life with 21 points when we were outrebounded 58-32.

Toronto Raptors 20-61

Our last game is closer but still a loss to the playoff bound Bulls 102-95. Ray Allen scores 22 points but Chicago’s bigs Boozer (22 points, 12 rebounds and 6 assists and 14 points, 16 rebounds) are too much.

Final record – 20-62

The playoff picture is as follows:

Eastern Conference

1st – Chicago Bulls: 56-26
2nd – Orlando Magic: 56-26
3rd – Miami Heat: 51-31
4th – Boston Celtics: 45-37
5th – New Jersey Nets: 43-39
6th – Philadelphia 76ers: 42-40
7th – Milwaukee Bucks: 42-20
8th – Atlanta Hawks: 42-20

Western Conference

1st – Los Angeles Lakers: 61-21
2nd – Denver Nuggets: 57-25
3rd – Portland Trailblazers: 56-26
4th – New Orleans Hornets: 52-30
5th – Dallas Mavericks: 50-32
6th – Utah Jazz: 48-34
7th – San Antonio Spurs: 48-34
8th – Houston Rockets: 45-37

Toronto Top Scorers – Ray Allen (17.7), Rajon Rondo (16.7), Jarrett Jack (13.0)
Toronto Top Rebounders – Earl Barron (7.5), Rajon Rondo (5.3), Ed Davis (5.0)
Toronto Top Assisters – Rajon Rondo (9.2), Jarrett Jack (2.5), Ray Allen (2.3)

League Top Scorers – Kobe Bryant LAL (29.7), Kevin Durant OKC (27.4), Danny Granger IND (25.9)
League Top Rebounders – Dwight Howard ORL (14.6), Andrew Bogut MIL (12.8), Al Horford ATL (12.4)
League Top Assisters – Chris Paul NOH (11.3), Steve Nash PHO (10.6), Rajon Rondo TOR (9.2)

Rookie Top Scorers – Evan Turner PHI (16.4), John Wall WAS (14.6), Wesley Johnson MIN (11.6)
Rookie Top Rebounders – Cole Aldrich OKC (9.3), DeMarcus Cousins SAC (8.2), Tiago Splitter SAS (6.8)
Rookie Top Assisters – John Wall WAS (6.7), Grevis Vasquez MEM (3.1), Evan Turner PHI (2.6)

Last draft rankings before the draft:

1 (2) – SF Kevin King (Syracuse) Freshman – still playing leap frog with Bebutov and will depend on who is drafting first to see who goes number one.

2(1) – PG Varlam Bebutov (Estonia) 18 years old – slipped because he isn’t getting as many minutes now it’s coming to crunch time.

3 (4) – C Michael Nicholson (Texas) Junior – jumps because of Hayes’ recent poor play.

4 (NR) – C James Blanchard (Wake Forest) Sophomore – the centre battle heats up once again.

5 (5) – PF Jason Beck (St. Mary’s) Senior – out performing Mario Hayes and is rewarded with keeping his spot in the top 5.
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby LightningStrike5 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 am

Love it. DeRozan is the most underrated player in the default game IMHO. Great job so far.
LightningStrike5

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports