Motor City Basketball: Restoring the Pistons' Glory

Motor City Basketball: Restoring the Pistons' Glory

Postby Myles Nelson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:40 am

Let me make one thing clear: I grew up hating the Pistons.

I wasn't old enough to be aware of the Bad Boys vs. Jordan days, but when I started playing basketball I would watch every Jordan tape available, and seeing how unsportsmanlike the Pistons played always got me upset. I couldn't stand them!

Then, growing up in LA, I was a huge fan of the Lakers (the other "team" in LA wasn't worth my time). When the Lakers signed Payton and Malone, I thought we had a pretty good team. Sure they were old, but an old Payton and Malone is still an upgrade over Fisher and Horry. Unfortunately, we lost to a Pistons team built without any sure future Hall of Famers, like the Lakers had, but five players who played defense and played like a team (today's Celtics, anyone?) Led by floor general Chauncey Billups, anchored by the Wallace boys, defensive stalwart Ben and offensive force Rasheed, and with Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince running the wings, the Pistons were as balanced as any team. Defeating the star-studded Lakers only made my eyes angrier every time I saw the Pistons.

Yet, when the Pistons offered me my first GM opportunity, I couldn't say no. I had to get my foot in the door somehow, and this could be my only opportunity. So I did what any normal person would do, and took the job. Also, looking at 750k a year was pretty nice too. (I know that isn't great for a GM, but I'm fairly unproven and it is literally 10x the amount of money I was making before, so I consider it a fair offer).

Here we go. Motor City, I hope you're tired of losing.
Myles Nelson

Roster

Postby Myles Nelson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm not very impressed with this roster, as it is just the exact right combination of bad players with massive contracts, players with low upside, and old players that creates just the worst team in the nation. I hope next year's top 5 are great cause we're gonna have one of them.

GUARDS:

Rodney Stucky is a good scoring guard with decent handling and passing skills. He's more of a combo guard than a true point guard, but he's young and worth keeping around.

Ben Gordon used to be capable of 20+ ppg, and a capable leader, but now his scoring has dropped off and all his other skills are diminished. Stuck with an albatross of a contract.

Richard Hamilton another scoring guard who's best days are behind him. He's still better than Ben Gordon, but he's also stuck with just as bad of a contract.

FORWARDS:

Tayshaun Prince, another holdover from the last championship team, can score pretty well, and plays awesome defense. His contract is expiring and he's unlikely to come back to such a bad team, so we'll probably deal him.

Austin Daye is a decent backup, but he's not really my type of player. His ratings remind me of another subpar wing player out of Gonzaga a few years ago, and I see the same future for Daye. Except he won't get a cheap NBA ring.

Jonas Jerebko is a better backup, and even capable of starting on a bad team like ours. He's young and cheap, making him a keepable player.

Jason Maxiell is way overpaid for an undersized forward who can't really do much. He's best at getting offensive boards, but can't do much with it after.

Charlie Villanueva is an overpaid, underperforming forward. He's more of a small forward in a power forward's body. He, along with Ben, Rip, and Jason, will be traded as soon as someone is dumb enough to take him.

Chris Wilcox won't see many minutes, and is an expiring contract so I don't mind that he's making 3 mil.

Dajuan Summers was a straight beast at Georgetown, but he doesn't have much of a future in the NBA.

I really hate this roster. I do. Of all these players, the only ones who I even marginally like are Stuckey and Jerebko, and neither one of them are really that good. Stuckey isn't a point guard, and I prefer point men who run the offense, not look for their own. As for Jerebko, he's decent, but I can't see him being a mainstay on any good roster. The rest of the roster is just pure, unadulterated crap. It has to go.
Myles Nelson

Postby Myles Nelson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:20 pm

I tell Bill Adamson it will be a rebuilding year, but it will be under the cap, which somewhat pleased him. I just hope I can turn this team around quickly.

The coaching staff is just as terrible as the team, but maybe it's a good thing because we'll lose more games under Kuester, and then we can get higher draft picks. I might look into a coach that can develop players better, since that's really the only thing I will care about for the next two years.

After perusing through the coaches available, I see one that I like, Eddie Jordan. His offensive rating is high, and he's good at evaluating potential and developing players, and he's bad enough that we'll still lose plenty of games under him. I fire Kuester and sign Jordan for 2 years.
Myles Nelson

Draft

Postby Myles Nelson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:17 pm

We hold the 7th pick of the draft this year, and it's a decent pick. I take a look at this year's mock drafts and most people have us picking Cole Aldrich with the 7th pick. Not a bad choice, we need a big man and Cole has a decent future, but since the roster is going to be blown up anyway, I'm committing to picking the best rookie available, regardless of position.

I'm going to workout the best 15 players out there, since you never know who might drop or jump up the ratings, and that means:

John Wall
Evan Turner
Wes Johnson
Al-Farouq Aminu
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Favors
Luke Babbitt
Avery Bradley
Cole Aldrich
Greg Monroe
Ekpe Udoh
Ed Davis
Xavier Henry
Gordon Hayward
Paul George

Once the NBA draft starts, I place every player on the trading block and just sit and wait for the action.

1. PG John Wall - Washington Wizards
2. SG Evan Turner - Philadelphia 76ers
3. SF Wesley Johnson - New Jersey Nets

TRADE

Detroit Pistons receive
Nazr Mohammed
16th pick

Charlotte Bobcats receive
Charlie Villanueva
Dajuan Summers
36th pick

Why
The Pistons wanted to get rid of Villanueva at all costs, and dumped his salary for the expiring contract of Mohammed. To thank the Bobcats for taking on the salary, the Pistons also stole their first round pick. Summers was just a throw-in.

Winner
We won this trade by far. Upgrading 20 picks in a draft that isn't 36 deep, and dumping the massive contract of Villanueva are two huge bonuses.

4. C DeMarcus Cousins - Minnesota Timberwolves
5. C Cole Aldrich - Sacramento Kings
6. PF Derrick Favors - Golden State Warriors

I was hoping Favors would fall all the way to us at 7, but the Warriors snatched him first. We have five minutes to pick, and my scout slides me a paper that reads: "Terrico White, Xavier Henry, Al-Farouq Aminu, Greg Monroe, Daniel Orton." I don't want White or Orton, but the other three are options. So are Paul George, Ekpe Udoh, Avery Bradley, and about 9 others.

Paul George's great defense and high work ethic seduce me, so...

7. SF Paul George - Detroit Pistons

The experts say I could have done better, but with Paul George I see Prince's successor as the lockdown defender, and hopefully George scores more as well. Perhaps a Ron Artest type, but without the crazy-ness.

8. SF Gordon Hayward - Los Angeles Clippers
9. SG Xavier Henry - New York Knicks
10. SG Avery Bradley - Indiana Pacers
11. SF Al-Farouq Aminu - New Orleans Hornets
12. PF Greg Monroe - Memphis Grizzlies
13. PF Ekpe Udoh - Toronto Raptors
14. SF Luke Babbitt - Houston Rockets
15. PF Patrick Patterson - Milwaukee Bucks

There's only one guy from my top 15 left, so I take him here.

16. PF Ed Davis - Detroit Pistons

Ed is a solid, back to the basket big man. A good shot blocker, rebounder, and scorer, Davis should fit right in.

17. SG Domonique Jones - Chicago Bulls

Okay, I know they need a SG, but really? Jones is mid 2nd round talent, at best.

18. SF Damion James - Miami Heat
19. SG James Anderson - Boston Celtics
20. PF Larry Sanders - San Antonio Spurs

With Sanders, Dejuan Blair and Tiago Splitter, it looks like the Spurs will be set when Tim Duncan finally retires.

21. PG Terrico White - Philadelphia 76ers
22. SG Jordan Crawford - Portland Trail Blazers
23. SG Eric Bledsoe - Utah Jazz
24. C Daniel Orton - Denver Nuggets
25. SF Da'Sean Butler - Denver Nuggets
26. PF Magnum Rolle - Phoenix Suns
27. C Hassan Whiteside - Dallas Mavericks
28. SG Elliot Williams - Los Angeles Lakers
29. SF Pape Sy - Orlando Magic
30. PF Trevor Booker - New Orleans Hornets

Notable 2nd round picks:

51. SF Devin Ebanks - Portland
52. SG Landry Fields - San Antonio
55. PF Kevin Seraphin - Denver
60. SG Aubrey Coleman - Cleveland

Ton of trades happened during the draft as well.

Bobcats trade: PG DJ Augustin, C Alexis Ajinca
Timberwolves trade: SG Corey Brewer

Winner: Charlotte. Minnesota already has Jonny Flynn and Ricky Rubio, so Augustin just creates more of a logjam.

Wizards trade: SF Al Thornton
Rockets trade: C Chuck Hayes

Winner: Wizards. I like defensive big men like Hayes, and Thornton has been nothing but underperforming, and will now compete for minutes with Battier, Ariza, Budinger and Babbitt. Bad move for Rockets.

Suns trade: SF Jared Dudley
Pacers trade: PF Tyler Hansbrough

Winner: Suns. They are anticipating the loss of Stoudemire, so they grab Hansbrough as a replacement for backup shooter Dudley. Good deal.

Magic trade: PF Ryan Anderson
Wizards trade: C JaVale McGee

Winner: Tie. With Hayes in Washington, McGee is expendable. Anderson is a good 3 position back up, and McGee provides Orlando another defensive backup to Dwight Howard.

Bulls trade: PF James Johnson
Bobcats trade: SG Gerald Henderson

Winner: Bobcats. The Bulls filled their deficiency at SG with yet another mediocre player, and give up a player with somewhat of a future in Johnson.

Cavaliers trade: PF Leon Powe, 30th pick (which became PF Trevor Booker)
Hornets trade: SG Marcus Thornton

Winner: Cavs. They got a pretty good scorer in Thornton and gave up next to nothing. Powe and Booker are both going to sit behind David West.

Thunder trade: 21st pick (which became Terrico White)
76ers trade: C Spencer Hawes

Winner: Thunder. They addressed one of their weak spots with an offensive center who could still develop. Had the 76ers drafted someone better, this trade might have been closer, but Terrico White? Ugh.

76ers trade: PF Mareese Speights
Nuggets trade: PG Ty Lawson

Winner: Nuggets. While Lawson might be just as good talent-wise, it puts the 76ers with Lawson, White, Jrue Holiday, and Louis Williams. The Nuggets have a PF better than Kenyon Martin now, and while losing Lawson hurts, he was a replaceable benchwarmer.

Hawks trade: SG Maurice Evans, 24th pick (which became Daniel Orton)
Nuggets trade: SG Arron Afflalo

Winner: Nuggets. Maurice Evans is a lesser Afflalo, but Orton makes up for it with his potential as the replacement to Nene.

RECAP OF JUNE 28TH

We got Paul George and Ed Davis, and got rid of Villanueva. My grade for today: A.

Nuggets are looking a whole lot better, while the 76ers got worse. The Spurs, as usual, stole a pretty good player in the second round with Fields. The Thunder are looking better too, while I'm concerned about the Bulls, since they seemingly have an idiot in the front office.
Myles Nelson

Postby zike_42 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:33 pm

I have never seen a Detroit dynasty before so good luck. I was worried that you took George over Monroe but picking up Davis was a great move. I will be reading.
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby Myles Nelson » Sun May 01, 2011 1:10 am

I heavily considered Monroe but if there's one thing I love its defensive wing players, especially a guy like George who can definitely score. Plus, I couldn't pass on a 6'9" wing.

As for Monroe, after the workout I wasn't too sold on him. There were a lot of other players I worked out that were more viable options than him, according to the workout. And when I saw that Davis was available at 16, I knew I had to get him.
Myles Nelson

Summer

Postby Myles Nelson » Sun May 01, 2011 1:52 am

I renounce everyone's contracts, no one was worth a second look (or a first look for that matter).

I pick up both Jerebko's rookie options, getting him for three more years at no more than 600k.

I invite Daye, Jerebko, Davis and George to the Summer League in Vegas, to see what they can do. I also invite pass-first point Nick Calathes, defensive point Jon Scheyer, and other possible underhyped players in Joel Anthony and Brian Zoubek. The bulk of the minutes will go to Davis and George though, I really want to see what they can do.

I really don't care about the summer league. I just want to see how Davis, George and Jerebko will perform, and see if any of my other pickups, specifically the 4 named above, play well enough to merit any offers during free agency.

Paul George was very inconsistent, but went off for 42 in one game which gives me hope. Davis and Jerebko were steady. Calathes, Scheyer and Zoubek were underwhelming, though Anthony could make a decent backup and Calathes could serve as a third string PG
Myles Nelson

Free Agency

Postby Myles Nelson » Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 am

Finally, the summer of 2010 is here. It seems like everyone has been waiting for this moment. The Clippers, the Timberwolves, the Bulls, the Nets, the Knicks the Wizards, the Thunder and the Heat all have 20M+ in cap space. Why? Well, here's why:

LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Bosh
Amare Stoudemire
Joe Johnson
Rudy Gay
David Lee
Carlos Boozer
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce
Al Harrington
John Salmons
Luis Scola

This is such a star-studded and deep free agency. I will be avoiding the whole fiasco, but watching very closely, mostly for entertainment purposes. And to see how our rivals do.

We stay out of free agency for the most part, as this team isn't turning around anytime soon. I don't want any bad players on big contracts (see: Ben Gordon) and so I just stay safe and go after veteran backups until I can dump Gordon, Maxiell, Hamilton and Prince.

I offer Jason Williams and Theo Ratliff minimum contracts to chill at the end of the bench.

Ray Allen and John Salmons quickly resign with their respective teams.

Theo Ratliff signs with us, and David Lee and Dwyane Wade also resign on max contracts. It's starting to look like a boring summer.

Luke Ridnour goes to Boston for 2 years, 13 million to back up Rajon Rondo. Dirk Nowitzki resigns. The Heat grab Mike Miller at 4 years, 38 million.

The Nets land both LeBron James and Chris Bosh. Holy crap.

The Kings sign Carlos Boozer the same day Jason Williams signs with us.

To counter the Nets, the Knicks land nice consolation prizes with Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudemire. Nets/Knicks basketball is going to be very fun. Celtics resign Paul Pierce, so that New England area is going to be the basketball mecca this year.

The Atlanta Hawks nab Tyrus Thomas at 2 years, 13 million. That's a good deal.

Minnesota gets Rudy Gay on a 5 year, 64M salary. Wow.

I try to trade Rip and Ben throughout this whole time. I try endless packages with the Bulls, the Wizards, the Timberwolves, anyone with cap space, and I even offer someone a straight up Rip Hamilton for 2013 2nd rounder, just to dump salary, and they say no. Sigh... seems like I'm stuck with these guys for a while. Maybe teams will be more willing around the trade deadline.

ESPN released their previews, here's what they had to say:

East
New Jersey Nets (LeBron, Chris Bosh, Brook Lopez)
New York Knicks (Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, David Lee)
Miami Heat (Dwyane Wade, Mike Miller, Michael Beasley)
Boston Celtics (Big 5, Luke Ridnour)
Milwaukee Bucks (Brandon Jennings, Andrew Bogut, John Salmons)
Charlotte Bobcats (Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace, Raymond Felton)
Chicago Bulls (Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Luol Deng)
Atlanta Hawks (Al Horford, Josh Smith, Jamal Crawford)
Philadelphia 76ers (Andre Iguodala, Evan Turner, Louis Williams)
Indiana Pacers (Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Troy Murphy)
Orlando Magic (Dwight Howard, Vince Carter, Jameer Nelson)
Cleveland Cavaliers (Mo Williams, Antawn Jamison, Marcus Thornton)
Washington Wizards (John Wall, Gilbert Arenas, Andray Blatche)
Detroit Pistons
Toronto Raptors (Andrea Bargnani, Ekpe Udoh, Hedo Turkoglu)

West
Los Angeles Lakers (Kobe, Pau, Andrew Bynum, Ron Artest, Allen Iverson!)
Denver Nuggets (Carmelo, Nene, Chauncey Billups)
Sacramento Kings (Carlos Boozer, Tyreke Evans, Jason Thompson)
Dallas Mavericks (Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Jason Terry)
Portland Trail Blazers (Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Nic Batum)
San Antonio Spurs (Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker)
Golden State Warriors (Steph Curry, Monta Ellis, Anthony Randolph)
Minnesota Timberwolves (Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, Rudy Gay, Ricky Rubio)
New Orleans Hornets (Chris Paul, David West, Emeka Okafor)
Houston Rockets (Yao Ming, Kevin Martin, Aaron Brooks)
Oklahoma City Thunder (Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Jeff Green)
Memphis Grizzlies (Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol, OJ Mayo)
Los Angeles Clippers (Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Baron Davis)
Utah Jazz (Deron Williams, Paul Millsap, Andrei Kirilenko)
Phoenix Suns (Steve Nash, Jason Richardson, Luis Scola)

The West looks pretty messed up, but the East is pretty accurate. I hope we are one of the worst teams in the league. I'm already eyeing next year's draft class.
Myles Nelson

October/November

Postby Myles Nelson » Sun May 01, 2011 4:34 am

Well, here goes to a hopefully terrible season. Maybe I can dump a few contracts along the way.

We cement our terribleness by losing to the 76ers on opening night. 100-70 was the final score, with Rip dropping 16 points, Ed Davis with 8 points and 3 blocks. Stuckey had 11 points but 9 turnovers! This season should be fun.

The Hawks beat us in our home opener, 100-82. Tayshaun Prince gets a 13 point, 10 rebound double double, and Ed Davis blocks 3 shots again. I think I have a defensive stalwart ready to go.

Ed Davis doesn't block any shots in our 16 point loss to the Spurs, 112-96, but Paul George has his first decent game with 14 points and 2 steals.

We lose 92-111 in Dallas, part of our Texas Two-Step, Paul George getting 8 points and 2 steals, and Ed Davis blocking 4 shots.

Chicago beats us at home 124-98, but Paul George brightens my day with 21 points. Jerebko also gets 12, but D-Rose and Deng torched us for 25+ each.

The Bucks drop us at home 111-88, George and Davis completely invisible. Jerebko gets 22 points on a brighter note.

We have now lost our first 7 games, falling 98-79 to the Bulls. Jerebko gets 23, but that's about it for our team.

We finally win a game, defeating the Cavaliers at home, 102-90. Stuckey leads us with 21 points, and Hamilton and Prince have solid games as well. Mo Will and Jamison get 27 and 20, respectively, but little help elsewhere.

We've won two games in a row now, defeating the Blazers at home 105-98. George gets 14, Prince gets 23, and Stuckey gets 19 with 7 assists.

We lose big to the Timberwolves at home, 110-87. Gay has really carried that team, scoring 28 points in this one.

We get crushed by the perfect Nets (10-0), 95-74, led by LeBron's 14-18 shooting for 36 points. We had no notable players, everyone sucked.

The Pacers outscore us 125-110, Granger getting 33 and Murphy scoring 27 against us. Hamilton and Gordon countered with 23 and 21, respectively, but it wasn't enough as we fal to 2-10.

We beat the Bobcats 90-83 on Thanksgiving Day. Prince gets 20 in this one, which also marked the return of Ed Davis from his sprained finger. He got 9 points and a block.

A Rondo-less Celtics beat us 92-83, but this I considered a good loss since we had 6 players in double figures. Unfortunately, it took us 37% shooting to do so. Not one of our best games.

96-91 is the score of our victory over the Thunder, who have really fallen off since their 9-0 start, they are 1-6 since then. Durant scores 35 on us but needs 30 shots to do it.

Marquee games
The Lakers beat the Nuggets on opening night, showing that the 2-time champs are still here. Iverson only had 5 points with 5 turnovers on his first night, but the Lakers starting 5 is an absolute beast.

PG Kobe Bryant
SG Lamar Odom
SF Ron Artest
PF Pau Gasol
C Andrew Bynum

Yes. That is a 6'10" shooting guard and a 6'7" point guard.

The Knicks beat the Heat 123-114 in a shootout that sees Joe Johnson dropping 30, Amare getting 20, and D-Wade getting 22 for the Heat.

The upstart Bulls improved to 8-1 by beating another title contender, Dallas, 124-91. Chicago is looking surprisingly dangerous, anchored by Derrick Rose.

The Thunder continued their perfect season (9-0) by beating the Celtics in Boston (8-2). It was a balanced effort from both teams, as 22 points led all players in points that game.

Impressive games
Andrew Bynum had 13 points and 28 rebounds on November 1st.
Joakim Noah gets 26 points and 17 rebounds on the 4th.
Steve Nash gets 17 assists on the 6th.
Dwight Howard drops 35 points and grabs 21 boards on the 6th.
Chris Paul gets 34 points, 20 assists, and 6 steals on the 16th.
Myles Nelson

Month Recap

Postby Myles Nelson » Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 am

Where We Stand
4-11, last in the Eastern conference, 29th overall.

Power Rankings (comparison to ESPN preview in parentheses)
1. New Jersey Nets (0)
2. Boston Celtics (+2)
3. Chicago Bulls (+4)
4. New York Knicks (-2)
5. Indiana Pacers (+5)
6. Atlanta Hawks (+2)
7. Orlando Magic (+4)
8. Milwaukee Bucks (-3)
9. Charlotte Bobcats (-3)
10. Cleveland Cavaliers (+2)
11. Miami Heat (-8)
12. Philadelphia 76ers (-3)
13. Washington Wizards (0)
14. Toronto Raptors (+1)
15. Detroit Pistons (-1)

1. New Orleans Hornets (+9)
2. Denver Nuggets (0)
3. Portland Trail Blazers (+3)
4. Oklahoma City Thunder (+7)
5. Los Angeles Lakers (-4)
6. Golden State Warriors (+1)
7. Los Angeles Clippers (+6)
8. Dallas Mavericks (-4)
9. Houston Rockets (+1)
10. San Antonio Spurs (-4)
11. Minnesota Timberwolves
12. Memphis Grizzlies (0)
13. Sacramento Kings (-10)
14. Utah Jazz (0)
15. Phoenix Suns (0)

Trades
Just one trade this month.

Thunder trade: 2011 1st round pick
Hawks trade: Arron Afflalo.

Winner: Neither. I don't see a point to this at all. Afflalo joins a backcourt that already has Sefolosha and Harden, and the Hawks needed Afflalo as a backup.

My Players
Stuckey is doing okay, but he turns over the ball way too much to be my long term PG (4 TOs per game).

Jerebko is scoring 9 points a game on 61% shooting. Not bad for a SF.

Paul George is averaging 7 points on 41% shooting with 1.2 steals. Davis is averaging 6 points on 40% shooting, with 1.8 blocks.
Myles Nelson

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports