Motor City Basketball: Restoring the Pistons' Glory

Postby Myles Nelson » Mon May 30, 2011 10:52 pm

[SIZE="4"]Detroit Pistons 2011-2012 Preview[/SIZE]

If any team is capable of going from worst to first, it's these Pistons. They have reloaded their team with young, promising players and most of these players could possibly contribute now. This is how we see this team stack up.

GUARDS:

Kemba Walker was an absolute beast in college and hopefully he can make a smooth transition to the pros. He'll have to learn how to be a better passer, but as a scorer he is just dominant. He has an insanely bright future and should lead this Pistons team to many, many victories.

Carlos Arroyo is a decent backup who is a good ballhandler and outside shooter, Walker's main weaknesses. He was signed not only to backup Walker but to be his mentor as well.

Ben Gordon is still stuck with his huge contract and has dropped in the rotation all the way down to 9th man, but as a player, he's more than capable of being a good scoring bench player. We're still waiting for his contract to run out, but I wouldn't mind him if he wasn't so damn expensive.

Evan Turner is our franchise wing. He's a total beast, and will only get better with time. This is his first year with us, and I sure hope to god he improves on last year, because that would put him in epic status and would put us in winning status.

FORWARDS:

Kyle Korveris just our bench 3 point shooter. I'm infatuated with good shooters and he will be great at doing just that.

Andres Nocioni is just a big expiring contract. I hope we never use him in a game.

Jonas Jerebko had a solid first year with us and hopes to build on that. He shoots at a great percentage and is a good jack of all trades. I see him as the glue guy for our championship teams down the road.

Jason Maxiell is Nocioni part two. Except he has 3 more years on his contract. FML.

Taj Gibson had a decent year for us, grabbing boards and scoring points for us. For a while there he carried our team, but it didn't last long. We hope he settles into a good role player.

Tiago Splitter is a beast out there. He scores at a high percentage and just does everything efficiently. He will see lots of minutes for us and will hopefully carry us to a lot of wins.

Derrick Williams is another one of our rookie franchise players. I'm banking on him developing into a star, but as of right now just backing up the two forward spots will do it for us.

CENTERS:

Joel Przybilla is a good veteran backup. He's a strong defensive player, good rebounder, and good inside scorer, which is all we need from him.

Timofey Mozgov shows potential, but due to a logjam at our post spots he'll get his development time in the NBDL. I'm thinking he'll become like Przybilla, but maybe a little more athletic.

Greg Oden is our franchise center. I know I've given a lot of players the franchise tags but I really think most of them will become our franchise players. Oden is a good scorer, a great defender and rebounder. He'll really get the job down low, and with Splitter, Gibson, and Williams next to him, I don't see any reason why our team won't win a ton of games.

Unlike last year, I love my roster.
Myles Nelson

Postby Myles Nelson » Tue May 31, 2011 12:45 am

I'm actually really excited for this team, so I couldn't wait to sim a few games. Here's how our first five games went:

We head to Indiana for game 1 and already I'm at odds with Rudy T. He decided to start Ben Gordon and move Evan Turner to point guard, rather than give Kemba the keys to the offense like I told him. I guess we'll just have to have a conversation about this.

An absolutely great game all around though, as we kill them in the second quarter en route to a 110-94 victory. Tiago Splitter led the way with 23 points and 8 rebounds, Turner logged an impressive 21 points on 9/12 shooting, with 8 assists and only 1 turnover, and 7 rebounds, Gibson had 12 points and 6 rebounds, Oden had 7 and 7, Derrick Williams had 13 points and 6 rebounds and Walker had 5 assists off the bench.

Apparently the inactive Nocioni wants to cause trouble. I think I'm going to deal him as soon as possible.

We beat the 76ers 122-115, and once again Tiago Splitter has a great game, this time with 24 points. Turner has 21 points and 9 assists, but Louis Williams read his passes all game long (5 steals) and forced him into 9 turnovers. Derrick Williams took home the player of the game honors with his first career double double, with 20 points and 14 rebounds.

Splitter carries us against the frontcourt-loaded Kings, 109-99. He had 24 points, and 5 other players scored in double digits including Kemba, Derrick Williams, Taj Gibson, Evan Turner (who turned things around and had 6 assists and only 2 turnovers), and Greg Oden, who's been relatively quiet thus far.

We trounce the Cavs 107-84 in Kemba's first career start. Splitter and Turner had 18 points each, Oden had a dominant performance with 17 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks. Arroyo stepped up as Kemba was in foul trouble the whole game, getting 7 assists and only 1 turnover.

Big game against the New Jersey Nets, and we go into the 4th quarter tied but ended up losing by 12 at home. Evan Turner had 28 points, Oden had 24 and 5 blocks, Splitter had 17, and Williams picked it up in a big way with 21 points off the bench, but it just wasn't enough. This is scary though, as this is just these young players first season together, and not a single one of my core players is over 26.
Myles Nelson

Postby K.J. » Tue May 31, 2011 1:16 am

I missed the fact that you had drafted Kemba Walker. Congratulations. If the chips fall correctly later in the season, you may have a franchise point guard in terms of potential. Of course, as you well know, realizing his potential will depend on his work ethic, which is very high, ample playing time, the abilities of your coaches and above all luck.
K.J.

Postby Myles Nelson » Tue May 31, 2011 2:12 am

K.J. wrote:I missed the fact that you had drafted Kemba Walker. Congratulations. If the chips fall correctly later in the season, you may have a franchise point guard in terms of potential. Of course, as you well know, realizing his potential will depend on his work ethic, which is very high, ample playing time, the abilities of your coaches and above all luck.

That actually raises a question I have always wondered. How can I tell if my assistants are good or not in PB? In CB its cut and dry but I never understood PB...
Myles Nelson

Postby Tim Moungey » Tue May 31, 2011 2:15 am

That's always been a subject of speculation. In MP leagues, most people don't care all that much. For my own part, how good a developers they are is the single most important attribute.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Myles Nelson » Tue May 31, 2011 2:20 am

Good to know
Myles Nelson

Postby zike_42 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Fantastic job turning the team around, even if you don't get very far you are wonderfully set for the future.

Also, great write-up on the season previews, great reading.
New PB4 dynasty, and it's multiplayer!
http://www.wolverinestudios.com/forum/s ... hp?t=20116
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby Myles Nelson » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:35 pm

We blast Utah at home, 115-99, with Turner and Splitter leading the way with 28 each. Oden pitches in with 18 points, and Kemba Walker also gets 10 points and 8 assists off the bench.

A tough loss in New Jersey, 104-84. This one is especially hard to bite because we just played them so well. Again, as was with the first game, we lost it in the 4th quarter as they outscored us 26-11. Splitter and Turner, the usual suspects, had good games with 20 and 17, Williams had 12 off the bench, and Walker had 9 points and 5 assists.

TRADE

Detroit Pistons trade
Andres Nocioni
2014 2nd Round Pick

Memphis Grizzlies trade
2014 2nd Round Pick

Why: Nocioni was causing problems in the clubhouse, frequently getting in fights with Oden. As Nocioni was inactive, and had a 6 million expiring contract, we figured he was moveable. So we moved him. The 2nd rounders were just throw ins.

Winner: Detroit by a mile. Their 2nd round pick will be in the 50s by 2014, and who knows where Memphis's will be. Nocioni is just a big headache.

Tiago Splitter gets a double double with 17 and 10, Turner scores 20 points, and we get plenty of help elsewhere as we beat the Old Celtics 116-99.

Second night of a doubleheader and we drop this one 109-112 to the rising Bucks who have a great shooting night. Splitter and Oden do well but Turner shows obvious signs of fatigue as he only scores 11 points, but gets 10 assists.

We beat down the weak Hawks with 7 players in double figures, 120-104. Turner gets back to his usual ways with 25 points and 12 assists.

We smashed the visiting Wizards, 114-86. We held them to 40.5% shooting and 18 turnovers as Oden dropped 27 points and 13 rebounds.

This is exactly what I hope would happen when Kemba finally got the starting spot. Kemba scored 25 and Turner had 20 points and 9 assists as we beat the Miami Heat 114-90. They are really struggling without Wade.

We travel to Dallas and beat them 107-100, showing we can win close games. Kemba came off the bench for some reason but still had 18 points, and Turner and Gordon had 21 each.

We do the Texas 2-step and beat Houston, 128-119. Turner, Oden and Splitter beast it up with 23, 22 and 20 in this one.
Myles Nelson

Postby Myles Nelson » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:52 am

No trades, no major signings, nothing happened this month. Timofey Mozgov is beasting it up in the NBDL though, 15 points and 12 rebounds.

On a more serious note, the NBA Standings as of December 1st, 2011

New Jersey Nets (13-1)
Detroit Pistons (11-3)
Washington Wizards (12-4)
Philadelphia 76ers (10-6)
Indiana Pacers (8-6)
Orlando Magic (7-6)
Boston Celtics (8-7)
Milwaukee Bucks (8-8)
New York Knicks (7-7)
Charlotte Bobcats (7-7)
Chicago Bulls (7-10)
Toronto Raptors (6-9)
Cleveland Cavaliers (6-9)
Miami Heat (6-9)
Atlanta Hawks (2-12)

Los Angeles Lakers (12-3)
New Orleans Hornets (10-4)
Denver Nuggets (11-5)
Portland Trailblazers (10-6)
Los Angeles Clippers (9-6)
Sacramento Kings (9-7)
Utah Jazz (7-9)
San Antonio Spurs (6-8)
Dallas Mavericks (6-8)
Phoenix Suns (7-10)
Minnesota Timberwolves (4-9)
Houston Rockets (4-12)
Oklahoma City Thunder (4-12)
Memphis Grizzlies (2-13)

Some surprises here. Especially seeing OKC so low and the West so weak in general. Phoenix is better than expected, as are the 76ers and the Wizards.

Leaders
PPG: Kevin Durant 29.1, Monta Ellis 28.3, LBJ 27.6
APG: Chris Paul 9.4, Rajon Rondo 9.3, Russell Westbrook 9.3
RPG: Dwight Howard 15.2, Andrew Bogut 12.3, Tim Duncan 11.9
SPG: Gerald Wallace 2.5, Chris Paul 2.4, Danny Granger 2.4
BPG: Dwight Howard 3.5, Josh Smith 3.3, Pau Gasol 3.3
TOPG: Kobe Bryant 4.6, Steph Curry 4.1, Mo Williams 4.1

Rookie Report
PPG: Derrick Williams 13.3, John Henson (WAS) 12.0, Brandon Knight (MEM) 11.7, Kemba Walker 11.0
APG: Jimmer Fredette (IND) 4.7, Brandon Knight 4.6, Kemba Walker 4.6
RPG: Jonas Valanciunas (TOR) 9.2, Lucas Nogueira (CHI) 6.8, John Henson 6.8, Derrick Williams 6.6
SPG: Terrence Jones (PHX) 1.4, Perry Jones (CHA) 1.1, Josh Selby (ATL) 1.0, Alec Burks (DEN) 1.0
BPG: Lucas Nogueira 1.8, John Henson 1.5, Tyler Honeycutt (PHI) 1.4
TOPG: Jimmer Fredette 3.6, Kyrie Irving (MIN) 2.4, Brandon Knight 2.0

Detroit Pistons Stats
Evan Turner: 20.6 ppg, 7.1 apg, 4.6 rpg, 1.4 spg, 93.1% STP, 50% fg
Tiago Splitter: 17.9 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.9 bpg, 61.7% fg
Greg Oden: 15.4 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.4 spg, 2.4 bpg, 58.9% fg
Derrick Williams: 13.3 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 58.9% fg
Kemba Walker: 11 ppg, 4.6 apg, 47.7% fg, 70.7% STP
Taj Gibson: 8.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.1 spg, 53.3% fg, 73.3% STP
Jonas Jerebko: 4.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 43.8% fg, 94.1% STP
Myles Nelson

December 2011

Postby Myles Nelson » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:32 am

Pistons 125, Bobcats 119 - Our defense isn't great, thanks to Ben Gordon allowing 30 points to Stephen Jackson, but our offense is amazing thanks to Evan Turner's 26 points and 15 assists, Greg Oden's 25 points, Tiago Splitter's 18 points, plus Kemba's 15 points and 6 assists off the bench.

Wizards 111, Pistons 94 - We're doomed by turnovers (15 to their 4), and free throws (they made 12 more than us) in this game. Their posts defended ours well as none scored more than 10 points.

Pistons 119, Warriors 112 - Tiago Splitter and Evan Turner lead the way as usual with 29 points and 27 points. Carlos Arroyo steps up with 18 points, Greg Oden had 14 points, and we beat out the backcourt monster of Curry (23 points) and Ellis (28 points).

Pistons 110, 76ers 101 - 23, 20, 18, 15 and 14. Those were the point totals for Oden, Arroyo, Turner, Korver and Splitter in our good road win over the 76ers.

Pistons 111, Cavaliers 108 - We barely beat Cleveland behind another solid output from Carlos Arroyo, 22 points and 10 assists this game. Since he took over for the injured Ben Gordon, he's averaged 20 points, 7 assists, and only 1.5 turnovers while shooting 58% from the floor. He better keep his job, cause it's not like Ben Gordon is any better on defense.

Pistons 124, 76ers 110 - Flawless outing from Arroyo with 21 points, 8 assists and 0 turnovers. Oden was dominant with 32 points and Turner chipped in another 21. Stuckey still sucks for Philadelphia.

Pistons 120, Knicks 94 - Gordon comes back from injury and immediately starts... I'm gonna have to have a call with Tomjanovich about him. We had a really well balanced win, which was important.

Pistons 124, Pacers 113 OT - Guess who had a good game again? That's right, Carlos Arroyo getting 18 points in 18 minutes off the bench. Williams and Kemba also produced, but it was Evan Turner's 26 point, 8 assist, 7 rebound outing that really carried this team.

Bulls 110, Pistons 105 - Joakim Noah goes off for 20 points and 17 rebounds, and we struggle to get Evan Turner any help.

I tell the paper how well Carlos Arroyo has been playing, and he took it in stride. What a character.

Magic 112, Pistons 105 - We lose another tough one on the road, this time getting beat by Dwight Howard and his dangerous supporting cast. Splitter does the most damage today, and Williams backed us up with 16 points and 10 rebounds, but that was about it.

Clippers 114, Pistons 100 - We're on a three game losing streak, this time falling at home to the Griffin-led Clippers. We get good games from Turner, Oden and Splitter, but it isn't enough.

Lakers 116, Pistons 102 - This is ridiculous. We are now on a four game losing streak. Losing to the Lakers is never a bad thing, but we shouldn't be losing 4 games in a row...

Celtics 112, Pistons 108 - We lose on the road in Boston. We blocked 15 shots, caused 13 turnovers, and they were without KG or Ray-Ray, but it doesn't matter. We have now dropped 5 in a row.

Nets 103, Pistons 87 - 6 f****ng games. I'm starting to think we need some veteran leadership on this team.

Pistons 107, Grizzlies 98 - Finally a freaking win, but we beat the terrible Grizzlies so it doesn't mean jack to me. Oden has 23 points and 16 boards which is nice though.

Hornets 120, Pistons 85 - We look like the Pistons of last year. This is pathetic. I'm thinking about trading Gordon, Maxiell, anyone I don't like. I have to keep the core.

Looking at this team, Turner, Oden, Splitter, Williams, and Walker are the untouchables. Everyone else can go, although I'd prefer to keep most of them. Maybe it's time to package a Gibson/Maxiell deal or something like that.
Myles Nelson

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports