Motor City Basketball: Restoring the Pistons' Glory

Dumping of Rip Hamilton!

Postby Myles Nelson » Sun May 01, 2011 5:03 am

We lost our 2nd big contract! I contacted the Bulls, who still needed to fill their opening at SG and are contenders, and told them about Hamilton. Although they balked at first due to the contract, I finally got them to bite.

Detroit trades
Rip Hamilton
Austin Daye
2011 2nd Round pick

Chicago trades
Taj Gibson
Gerald Henderson

Why
I wanted to dump salary, and I'm also a fan of Taj Gibson. I think he's going to be a solid player and allows me to trade Maxiell, ASAP. Giving up Daye and a high 2nd round pick might be much, but I really needed money. Henderson was a throw in to make the salaries work. This also allows me to start Paul George in the SG spot.

Winner
Probably the Bulls. They get a scoring SG, and a high 2nd round pick for a backup forward (who I think should have been starting, but that's beside the point). This really depends on who's available in the low 30s in next year's draft.
Myles Nelson

December

Postby Myles Nelson » Mon May 02, 2011 2:33 am

It was obviously sad to see Rip go. As huge of a contract he was on, he was still a great guy, a fantastic leader, and upstanding kind of guy, and someone we will sorely miss. However, business is business, and he had to go. Prince seemed to be the most affected, as he now realizes he is really the only guy left from the good times.

Coach Jordan juggles the lineups a bit and presents me with this:

PG Rodney Stuckey
SG Paul George (until Ben Gordon gets back from injury I assume)
SF Tayshaun Prince
PF Taj Gibson
C Nazr Mohammed

I told him fine, so long as Ed Davis plays more than useless Jason Maxiell.

Our first game post trade was against the Phoenix Suns, who are the worst team in the NBA. This is good, maybe it will give us a practice game to kind of gel together, as Taj is learning on the fly and George is getting used to an increased role. We win an overtime thriller, 123-121, thanks to Tayshaun's buzzer beating 15 footer to win it. George has a great game, scoring 18 points on 50% shooting, showing he is more than capable of starting in this league. Gibson is passive on offense, scoring only 6 points, but pulls down 8 boards in an acceptable debut.

Our lackluster performance the next night shows up as a 98-108 loss to Cleveland. Tayshaun has another good game, doing his damned best to fill Rip's shoes, as he scores 23 points on 60% shooting. Ed DAvis had his first start at center and got 14 points with 9 rebounds.

We host the Celtics a couple nights later and lose 83-82, when the second of Paul George's free throws rolls out. Stuckey almost gets a quadruple double with a line of 23-9-7-10. That's 23 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists, and 10 turnovers. Ouch. No wonder we lost.

We get creamed by the struggling Bucks, 121-81, in a home blowout that just really irked me. I knew we'd be bad, but I didn't think it'd be this bad. Prince is again our lone star. I can't wait till George and Davis are ready.

Rodney Stuckey finally showed the makings of a true point guard in our 97-94 road win over the Hawks. His 7 assists and only 1 turnover are promising, as was Ed Davis's 11 point, 10 rebound game. Unfortunately, Stuckey broke his ankle and is out for a month. Looks like Jason Williams and newly signed Antonio Daniels will pick up the slack.

Our first game without Rodney Stuckey is a 30 point loss to the Raptors at home, 104-74. Antonio Daniels is the only player of note for our team, getting 17 points.

We travel to New York long enough to lose by 17, 105-88. Prince gets 18 and Jerebko gets 14, but that's about it.

New York then comes to use and beats us 122-94. Ben Gordon comes back and gets 16 points, but no one else does squat.

We lose to Charlotte 82-88, but Ed Davis breaks out for 19 points and Gordon is right behind him with 17.

We go into our game with the Jazz tied with them at 6-18, but they beat us 102-94 behind Deron Williams strong outing. That's the difference between us and them: they have a great player, we don't have any star power. None of our players do anything of note.

Portland gets their revenge, as we had beat them earlier 105-98. This time, at their house, they win 104-63. We shoot 27.5% from the floor. I can't say anything else, moving on to the next game before I punch something.

We lose to the Thunder at their house, 103-81, as Durant gets 35, Afflalo 20, and Westbrook racks up 15 assists. Taj Gibson was our main scorer, with 10 points.

The Hornets destroy us at home, 114-73, but Gibson gets 18 and Prince gets 12 points as some layers show flashes of potential here and there. Too bad we can never put it together.

We lose to the hapless Wizards at home (how hypocritical of me, we're even more hapless), 101-95. Wall scored 24 points and had 10 assists to show us why he was the #1 pick this year. Gibson gets 10 points and 13 rebounds, being our most steady producer.

Ed Davis and Taj Gibson score 10 points each, and Gordon scores 19, as we lose to the Heat 98-83. This loss puts us 6-24 on the season.

Marquee Games
Finally, on December 9th, the big NJ/NY rivalry begins. The Nets, led by LeBron and Bosh, have jumped out to an incredibly fast 17-1 record, while the Knicks have floundered a bit at 11-9. The Knicks boast a lineup that inclues Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire, and David Lee. New Jersey jumped out to an early lead, but New York, carried by Johnson in this game, just chipped away. Finally, New York went into the fourth quarter down by 3, and all quarter it was a tug of war, in a game that saw 18 lead changes. Xavier Henry of NYK nailed a three to tie it up at 107, but LeBron drove to the basket, found Bosh, who flushed it home to get the two point win, 109-107 in MSG. Bosh led all scorers with 31 points, LeBron had 27, and backup PG CJ Watson had 20. New York was led by Johnson's efficient 24 points, Amare's 18, and Henry's 12.

The Chicago Bulls hand the Nets their 2nd loss of the season with a 109-86 drubbing. Rose torches them for 33 points.
Myles Nelson

Postby Tim Moungey » Mon May 02, 2011 1:00 pm

What's Davis's shooting up to? 40% as a big man would have me trading him. Course I'd also deal Stuckey - I hate, hate, hate turnovers. I'm also surprised you passed on Monroe for George, but George seems to be doing okay so far.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Myles Nelson » Mon May 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Paul George I have faith in, he's a lockdown defender and will be a good shooter in time. Monroe was underwhelming on his workout sheet, and I go by that a lot when it comes to the draft.

Ed Davis is probably tradeable, but I want to give him and Stuckey a full season of work before I make decisions on the youngsters. I'm looking for a real PG replacement for Stuckey, but no one is biting. It's hard when my main trade value is Prince's expiring contract, and Gordon and Maxiell are virtually untradeable.
Myles Nelson

Postby ajenko80 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Tim Moungey wrote:What's Davis's shooting up to? 40% as a big man would have me trading him. Course I'd also deal Stuckey - I hate, hate, hate turnovers. I'm also surprised you passed on Monroe for George, but George seems to be doing okay so far.

Ha ha Tim, doesn't matter if it's baseball or basketball, your like the Donald Trump of General Manager's........classic.
Great write up th1th0nly, I'm not a massive bball fan but I'm following this one with interest, keep it up!
"Anybody can be a bum; all it takes is the right girl, the right bar and the right friends, and you are well… your buddies will see you off. They'll christen your dumpster for you"
Bill Hicks
ajenko80

Postby PointGuard » Tue May 03, 2011 12:53 am

ajenko80 wrote:Ha ha Tim, doesn't matter if it's baseball or basketball, your like the Donald Trump of General Manager's...

What? Tim's trying to get everyone's birth certificate?

:eek:
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Jabez54 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:57 am

OMG ... That's as classic as one can get, PG ... LMAO ... A-Plus!!!! :D
DDS:PB4, TPG Fan & PureSim Oldtimer ... and That's Baseball ...
Jabez54
Elite Member

December Recap

Postby Myles Nelson » Fri May 06, 2011 8:24 pm

We went 2-13 in the month of December, but losing Stuckey to injury was probably quite a bit of that. Trading Rip hurt as well, but I had to dump his contract. Yet, through all the terribleness (including an ongoing 10 game losing streak), we still aren't last in the league. Check it out.

New Jersey Nets (28-3)
New York Knicks (19-11)
Boston Celtics (19-11)
Indiana Pacers (17-12)
Orlando Magic (18-13)
Chicago Bulls (17-14)
Atlanta Hawks (16-16)
Charlotte Bobcats (14-17)
Cleveland Cavaliers (14-18)
Miami Heat (12-18)
Washington Wizards (11-19)
Philadelphia 76ers (11-22)
Toronto Raptors (10-21)
Milwaukee Bucks (9-22)
Detroit Pistons (6-24)

Los Angeles Lakers (22-8)
New Orleans Hornets (22-10)
Oklahoma City Thunder (22-10)
San Antonio Spurs (19-9)
Denver Nuggets (21-11)
Houston Rockets (20-11)
Dallas Mavericks (19-12)
Portland Trail Blazers (19-13)
Los Angeles Clippers (16-16)
Memphis Grizzlies (15-17)
Golden State Warriors (13-17)
Minnesota Timberwolves (13-20)
Utah Jazz (10-21)
Sacramento Kings (8-22)
Phoenix Suns (6-27)

Yes, the Phoenix Suns are even more miserable than us.

League Leaders

Danny Granger 27.3
Carmelo Anthony 26.8

Assists
Russell Westbrook 11.8
Steve Nash 11.4
Chris Paul 9.8

Rebounds
Dwight Howard 15.7
Yao Ming 13.4
Andrew Bogut 12.4

Blocks
Dwight Howard 3.4
Brendan Haywood 3.3
Andrew Bogut 3.2
Pau Gasol 3.2

Steals
Monta Ellis 2.2
Rajon Rondo 2.1
Chris Paul 2.1

Turnovers
Dwyane Wade 5.1
Russell Westbrook 4.1
Rodney Stuckey 4.1

Team Leaders
Assists: Rodney Stuckey 5.9
Rebounds: Nazr Mohammed 7.1
Blocks: Ed Davis 1.8
Steals: Paul George 1.1
Turnovers: Rodney Stuckey 4.1

Since I mentioned Davis and George, lets take a loot at those too, plus Taj Gibson

Davis: 6.4 points, 6.2 rebounds, 1.1 assists, .4 steals, 1.8 blocks, 39% FG, 68.1% FT

George: 7.2 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.1 steals, 0 blocks, 32% FG, 88.2% FT, 28% 3PT on 5.4 attempts a game.

Gibson: 8.4 points, 5.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, .7 steals, 1.1 blocks, 48% FG, 78.8 FT.

I like Gibson. But is it time to give up on Davis and George?
Myles Nelson

Injuries and Transactions

Postby Myles Nelson » Fri May 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Injuries
Rajon Rondo tore his ACL and is out for the season.
Monta Ellis broke his foot and is out for at least 6 weeks

Trades
Hornets trade: SF Julian Wright, 2011 1st round pick
Nets trade: SG Terrence Williams

Winner: Both teams. The Nets had Williams stuck behind Courtney Lee and Wesley Matthews, and Wright becomes their 12th man. The 1st round pick isn't a great one, so the Hornets aren't losing too much. Williams becomes the 7th man for New Orleans.
Myles Nelson

Postby Myles Nelson » Fri May 06, 2011 10:55 pm

What's really frustrating about Ed Davis is that he's shooting 52% on inside shots.. but he's shooting 36% on jumpers... he's shooting 1.1 inside shots per game vs. 5.5 jumpers... he needs to put away that jumpshot.

I'm gonna shop around George, see what others will offer. His problem is just that no matter where on the court he is, he can't hit. I'll probably shop Stuckey as well.
Myles Nelson

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports