In Search of Glee: The Woeful Clippers' Climb To Greatness

Postby Myles Nelson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Reggie Williams: The most overrated player in DDSPB2. And by that I mean the game overrates him, not the people who play the game.
Myles Nelson

Postby K.J. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

th1th0nly wrote:Reggie Williams: The most overrated player in DDSPB2. And by that I mean the game overrates him, not the people who play the game.
Yes, he is quite good in DDSPB2, especially when coming off the bench to provide instant offense.
K.J.

Postby Tim Moungey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:18 pm

I have no recollection of who Williams even really is. Damn the generic names. :D
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 pm

I have to say, I'm pretty excited about our team this year. While I don't know that we'll be anything more than a playoff team again, I feel like the foundation is there.

Although I originally wanted Ricky Rubio along with Marc Gasol and Eutor Taffarel, Jose Calderon fills in to preserve our all-Spanish backcourt and trio of players from Espana. That makes me happy. I'll admit, I miss Granada quite a bit.

We play fantastic defense in the opener and beat the Jazz 95-83. Tiago Splitter has a great debut with 21 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. My man Allen Iverson scores 11 bench points and Timofey Mozgov double-doubles for 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Tough loss the next night in Phoenix, 102-99. We blew it in the fourth quarter, outscored 29-16. I hate seeing Marc Gasol's 26 points and 16 rebounds and Danny Granger's 21 points and 3 steals all go to nothing.

I'm happy when we rashambeau those pain in the ass Timberwolves 100-76 on Danny Granger's 31 points and 3 steals and Eric Bledsoe's 14 bench points.

124-105 revenge on the Suns is spearheaded by Danny Granger's 27 points, 20 points each from Tiago Splitter and Marc Gasol, and nifty little 10 point, 10 assist double from Jose Calderon.

Know what's even better than revenge? Beating the formerly 4-0 Houston Rockets 101-91. Danny Granger again takes point with 29 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks, Marc Gasol doubles for 13 points and 11 rebounds, and Eutor Taffarel scores 10+ points for the first time in his young pro career, hitting 7 of 9 shots for 17 points.

The Grizzlies get gashed 128-86 behind Tiago Splitter's 28 points and 11 rebounds, Danny Granger's 34 points and 3 blocks, Jose Calderon's 10 points and 11 assists, and 13 and 12 bench points from Eric Bledsoe and Timofey Mozgov.

Unfortunately, San Antonio clips us 101-78 on the back end. Danny Granger went a horrific 6 of 29 for his 27 points. Quiet game from Stephen Curry - 13 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 turnovers.

Reports of Cleveland's competence have been exaggerated, the Cavaliers falling 111-83 to drop to 2-6. Marc Gasol hits 10 of 11 shots for 22 points, 11 rebounds, joined in the double-double category by Tiago Splitter's 19 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Allen Iverson finds some of his old form for 15 points and 9 assists off the bench.

We rout the Rockets 123-88 as Tiago Splitter goes off for 19 points and 17 rebounds, Jose Calderon chips in 10 points and 11 assists, and Timofey Mozgov rises off the bench for 18 points and 8 rebounds.

The Kings stage a fourth quarter rally, but we slip by Sacramento 98-94. Tiago Splitter plays a terrific all-around game with 18 points, 9 rebounds, 3 steals, and 3 blocks, Marc Gasol puts up 15 points, 14 rebounds, and 4 blocks, Jose Calderon just misses a double-double with 18 points, 9 assists, and Eric Bledsoe scores 12 to lead the reserves.

Finally we win a back-to-back, but even though it's a 128-80 laugher, it was against the Timberwolves, so it doesn't count for much. Danny Granger goes off for 40 points and 9 rebounds and Allen Iverson, Eric Bledsoe, and Timofey Mozgov stair-step a 12, 11, 10 point second team showcase.

We've been playing great, but the Lakers remind us who still rules LA, beating us 105-99. Danny Granger chucks his way (8 of 25) to 27 points and Pau Gasol owns his brother with a 23 point, 12 rebound, 3 block game. Eric Bledsoe and Nicolas Batum's 12 and 10 bench points just couldn't overcome poor shooting by our starters.

Our first losing streak of the season, 110-93 defeat to the Knicks. 37 points for Danny Granger, 10 bench points for Nicolas Batum.

The good news - We're 9-4 and leading the Pacific by a game over the Lakers. The bad news - We way overpaid for Marc Gasol, continuing my tradition of terrible luck in free agency. He's been a solid starter, but not on the All-NBA 2nd Team level he was last year. Danny Granger is shooting a disappointing 36.4% from the floor, belying his impressive 26.2 points a game. He, too, doesn't look like the All-NBA 3rd Team guy he was last season.

But it's early yet, and the most important thing is, we're winning, and Tiago Splitter is definitely looking like a cornerstone piece. But if this recent losing streak continues, I'll have to shake things up a bit.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 pm

I have to admit, it feels really strange to have a SF as our #1 option. No matter the variant of Jestorball, whether Classic or CP3ian, the SF is traditionally a floater position, designed more for a glue guy and/or shutdown defender than the top scorer.

One trade last month and it occurred a few days ago.

Portland Trailblazers receive
C Al Horford

Atlanta Hawks receive
C Marcus Camby
Portland Trailblazers 2012 1st round pick

What this means for the Trailblazers
Horford, 24, made the All-Star game last year and fits in fantastically with Portland's youth movement alongside Brandon Roy, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Lamarcus Aldridge. Now all Portland needs is a young point guard to serve as Andre Miller's heir apparent and they'll be an impressive team for years to come.

What this means for the Hawks
Even at 37, Camby has the rebounding and defensive ability to match Horford. As of December 1st, Atlanta is 14-2, so this is about getting another veteran player to go for it this season, along with a mid-late first for the future. Oh, and did we mention Camby's a $9.2 million expiring, as opposed to Horford's multi-year commitment?

Winner: Draw
Atlanta overpaid for Joe Johnson a couple summers ago and this trade gives the financial flexibility they need to resign Josh Smith in a couple years. Works out well for the situation each respective team is in.

...Really? We lose 93-90 at home to the 1-13 Grizzlies. 11 and 10 bench points from Allen Iverson and Nicolas Batum. Mr. Danny Granger chucks again at 7 of 22. That's it. I've had it.

Los Angeles Clippers receive
SG Xavier Henry
Memphis Grizzlies 2012 2nd round pick

Memphis Grizzlies receive
SF Danny Granger

What this means for the Clippers
Henry is still quite raw, but the second year prospect has considerable upside to be a very good three position player (PG/SG/SF) in the league. 6'6, 210 is nice size for a SG and the Clippers also get a high 2nd. And of course, there's shedding $10 million in salary to make Donald Sterling happy.

What this means for the Grizzlies
Poor shooting cost Granger his place in Los Angeles, but now O.J. Mayo doesn't have to try and do it all himself and the 2 win Grizzlies can have a much more diverse offense.

Winner: Los Angeles
GM Jestor favorite Nicolas Batum becomes a starter again, and the Frenchman was a key part of the Clippers' run to the playoffs last year. Henry also becomes an intriguing 6th man to watch. Granger, on the other hand, won't put the Grizzlies anywhere near the playoffs and could cost them valuable lottery position.

104-86 loss to the Celtics and we're now on a four game skid. 12 and 10 points for Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov off the bench.

Happily, a 105-85 road win in Indiana ends the drought. All five starters score 10+ points, highlights provided by Marc Gasol (15 points, 18 rebounds, 3 blocks), and Eutor Taffarel, who just misses his first 20 point game with 19 as the team's higher scorer. It's 11 and 10 bench points for Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov this game. Joakim Noah was great against us with 20 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 blocks, but Paul George went 0 for 10 against Batum's D.

Night after, a 111-81 win over the Nets. Eric Bledsoe scores 25 points in 23 minutes, pairing with Tiago Splitter's 18 points and 10 rebounds and Marc Gasol's 11 points and 13 rebounds. Credit Timofey Mozgov's 10 bench points, too.

The Wizards end things with a 102-93 triumph and only 14 point, 9 rebound reserve Timofey Mozgov didn't play like ****.

113-87 rebound over the Bulls, as Tiago Splitter goes nuts for 35 points. Marc Gasol puts up 15 points and 14 rebounds and the reserves really come out to play: 14, 10, 10 points for Timofey Mozgov, Ryan Gomes, and Xavier Henry, the latter of whom also stole 4 balls and had his best game yet in a Clippers uniform.

I can't stop grinning after our 106-93 shocking of the Lakers. Tiago Splitter produces 19 points and 15 rebounds and Marc Gasol's the better brother this game with 15 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 blocks. 12 bench points for Ryan Gomes.

Paranoid about hangover effect against the Kings, but we sweep the doubleheader 122-115. This was all about balance, with all five starters in double-digit scoring. Xavier Henry gets the start at SG, because Nicolas Batum's foot soreness had Jeff Van Gundy sliding Eutor Taffarel to SF. So what does Henry do? Lead the team in scoring with 19 points. 13 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists for Marc Gasol, 16 and 12 bench points for Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov.. but the biggest game of them all goes to Allen "The Answer" Iverson, who rewards my Favored Player Status with 14 points, 12 assists, and 0 turnovers off the bench.

Oh look, another game against the Lakers. Oh look, Jose Calderon of all people picking up 26 points and 3 steals, Ryan Gomes 10 points and 4 steals off the bench in a 113-87 Clippers crushing of the Purple and Gold.

The defending champs come to town and if they lose to us, they fall to 11-12. Below .500 Denver refuses to be and the Nuggets punch us in the mouth, 113-105. We had no answer for Carmelo Anthony's 34 points, although why the hell Nicolas Batum was off the bench for 13 points rather than going after Melo, I have no idea. Seriously, why is Timofey Mozgov starting at SF?

Hello, shootout! Action-packed 134-123 OT win over Philadelphia, my sexy pick in the East. Jose Calderon fires off 26 points, Marc Gasol 22 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks. 17, 13, 10 bench points for Nicolas Batum, Eric Bledsoe, and Xavier Henry.

109-97 road loss to the Magic. 23 points and 13 rebounds for Tiago Splitter and 17 and 12 bench points for Nicolas Batum and Eric Bledsoe. But when Marc Gasol only plays 19 minutes and fouls out, no wonder defending MVP Dwight Howard burns us for 37 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 blocks.

Atlanta is now 25-2 after beating us 106-91. 17 points, 12 rebounds, 3 block for Marc Gasol was our best showing. That Mike Bibby/Joe Johnson backcourt combines for 55 points and there's no way in hell Johnson is merely All-NBA 3rd Team this year. Right now, he's looking All-NBA 1st Team and worthy of MVP votes - 4th in league scoring at 27.4 points a game, with 4.1 rebounds, 3.8 assists, and 1.5 steals a game. Next best Hawk? Andrei Kirilenko with 14.1 points, who with his surprise scoring in addition to his traditional shutdown defense has to be the biggest free agent steal of the year. AK-47 is a big part in Atlanta's #1 defense - 92.1 points allowed/game. Reminds me a lot of Tree Rollins and my GAH New York Knicks, who despite just squeaking into the playoffs at 36-46, shocked everyone in winning the East Conference. We're up against Paul Westphal's Phoenix Suns, though, and are down 0-2 after two games. Still damn impressive, though, especially since we're running three rookies in the starting lineup: Rollins (#3 overall pick), Rickey Green (#7 overall pick) and either Sam Smith/Ernie Grunfeld (both 2nd round picks).

The Mavericks are under .500, but they still kick our asses 120-99. 14 points, 17 rebounds for Marc Gasol, 14 bench points for Xavier Henry. The problem is, we lack that go-to scorer we had in Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry, and Danny Granger.

At least Christmas isn't a total loss, as we beat the Spurs 116-107 in San Antonio the evening after. Marc Gasol has his best game in a long time with 21 points, 11 rebounds and 5 blocks. Jose Calderon distributes 13 points and 11 assists, and 13 and 11 bench points respectively from Eric Bledsoe and Xavier Henry.

115-88 rout of Raptors, thanks to Xavier Henry's 20 points and 4 steals in 17 minutes. The other noteworthy performance is Eric Bledsoe's 15 bench points. Nice to see our reserves doing work.

We clunk a 104-95 loss to Golden State to end the calendar year. 19 points, 14 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks for Marc Gasol and 12 bench points out of Xavier Henry.

So after that up and down month, we're 18-12. We're still leading the Pacific, but by only a half-game over the Lakers. We're also #3 in the West, but given our more or less .500 play, we're probably more like a #7 or #8 seed when all is said and done.

New Orleans is the top team in the West at 23-7. Told you they were better than #3, but Oklahoma City, who everyone tabbed at #1, is 15-17. It's Portland who's filled that void, now 19-12 to lead the Northwest.

Atlanta is 27-3 out East and the Heat are looking merely good at 19-12. Old age is serving 22-8 Boston well, but the biggest non-Hawks surprise has to be Milwaukee at 20-10, who are the only Central team over .500. The Bulls are 13-18 and in third place, half-game behind 12-16 Cleveland.

Talk about craziness in the East. Not what I expected to see at all. Then again, I didn't really expect us to lead the Pacific two months in a row, either.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 am

No trades last month.

Oh, and for all the haters out there, I'd like to point that Jose Calderon has a 5.6 A/TO ratio. Yeah. That's what I'm talking about.

Tiago Splitter almost singlehandedly carries us to a 113-103 win over Oklahoma City, posting a ridiculous 42 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks. Hat tip to Xavier Henry's 11 bench points. I love how Splitter's stepped up as our #1 option after Danny Granger's departure.

11 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 blocks from Tiago Splitter in our narrow 100-94 win over Utah. Balanced offense ruled the day, as signified by three players with 14 bench points - Xavier Henry, Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov.

Fans get treated to a 118-115 thriller over San Antonio in our next game. All five starters with 11+ points, keynoted by Jose Calderon's 21 points. Once again, the reserves played a big part, with 14 and 13 points from Timofey Mozgov and Xavier Henry.

The back end is another nail-biter, but we emerge 95-92 winners against the Warriors thanks to Marc Gasol's 18 points and 13 rebounds and 13 and 12 bench points from Xavier Henry and Timofey Mozgov, who have really stepped up their play after the holidays.

No heart stress in a 102-80 home romp versus the Pacers. Tiago Splitter ices Indiana for 25 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks and Marc Gasol brings the rejections too, with 16 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks. Xavier Henry scores 14 to lead the second unit and he's becoming a great 6th man.

We finally drop a close one, 86-82, to Orlando. Timofey Mozgov continues his solid play with 14 points and 10 rebounds, and Xavier Henry scores 13.

Marc Gasol owns the post with 25 points, 15 rebounds and 5 blocks in our 104-98 win in Houston. Tiago Splitter is right there with him, scoring 22. Eric Bledsoe and Xavier Henry pace the bench with 16 and 10 points.

Bad news in the loss with Eric Bledsoe spraining his wrist so bad he's questionable for the next two weeks. Tiago Splitter's got a minor injury too that could affect his status for a game or two.

We respond by going to New Orleans the very next night and completing a beautiful doubleheader sweep of two excellent teams. It was a 105-103 coronary bruiser that saw Marc Gasol taking charge in Splitter's absence, compiling 25 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 assists. Xavier Henry keeps his streak alive with 13 bench points.

The Hawks have lost 4 games this month already by the time they play us and we win our umpteenth cardiac game of the month, 99-97. Xavier Henry's streak is finally snapped by a single point, which is sad, but I'd rather the win. Marc Gasol does work with 28 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 steals. Still not worth his massive contract, to be honest, but considering how damned rare worthy bigs are in this league, it was a necessary overpay. He's also been the man these two games.

With all the games we've won this month we should have lost, it's hard to get too mad about our 105-99 drop to the Pistons. 21 points, 14 rebounds, 5 blocks for Marc Gasol, 11 bench points for Xavier Henry.

All five starters with 10+ points, including Marc Gasol's 24 points, 15 rebounds, and 3 blocks, and benchmen Ryan Gomes (14 points), Xavier Henry (13 points), and Timofey Mozgov (11 points), lead us to victory in a 126-113 shootout with Phoenix.

Although Marc Gasol got 12 points and 13 rebounds, and Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov keyed the reserves with 13 and 12 bench points, it was Eutor Taffarel who win his first Player of the Game award in our 110-94 win over the Wizards. Our Spanish rookie matched his career high with 19 points on 7/14 shooting, 5/10 from behind the arc. He also held Gilbert Arenas to 4 of 15 for 13 points, 10.3 below Arenas's season average.

No miracle vs New Orleans this time, the Hornets beating us soundly, 95-85. Only Clipper that didn't stink up the joint was Xavier Henry and his 13 bench points.

So much for Miami mystique. We take the Heat to the woodshed, 121-101, riding balance signified by Tiago Splitter's 17 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 5 blocks, and by three bench players with 14 points. Naturally it's the usual suspects - Xavier Henry, Eric Bledsoe, and Timofey Mozgov.

29-15 is awesome, but the Lakers became the Lakers this month and have a half-game lead on us at 31-16. Right now we'd be the 5 seed with home court advantage over the 4 seed Timberwolves as I understand it. It's a little over halfway through the season and we're in very good shape as far as the playoffs go - 6 games in front of the 7th seed Warriors, so even if we regress to what I think is our expected mean, the postseason looks easily in reach.

Atlanta's still the best record at 34-10, but they no longer look otherworldly.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Trade action.

Houston Rockets receive
PF Michael Beasley

Minnesota Timberwolves receive
PG Kyle Lowry
Houston Rockets 2012 1st round pick

What this means for the Rockets
Although listed as PF, the 22 year old Beasley's size and game is more suited to SF. Terrible shooter, although he's better than he was last year. Despite the name recognition, he just isn't a good player, even though Houston's forward situation is such that he's a starter.

What this means for the Timberwolves
Lowry's a great defender and secure with the ball, but he's also a poor shooter. Even worse, he's a bad contract and buried on the Timberwolves' inactive list. Another first round pick is nice for Minnesota, but not that nice, considering it's a mid-late first.

Winner: Houston
Despite Beasley's shooting woes, he does have the upside to get better and become a good shooter. Lowry's contract is an albatross for Minnesota.

Once again Denver's under-over .500 fate lies with us and once again they beat us, 112-90. We just do not match up well with them at all. 25 points, 10 rebounds for Marc Gasol, 20 points for Tiago Splitter, 11 bench points for Eric Bledsoe.

121-97 loss to Dallas the next night with Marc Gasol's 14 points, 13 rebounds and Ryan Gomes 10 bench points the only highlights.

The losing streak hits three, 119-96 to Philadelphia. Allen Iverson and Ryan Gomes did well, netting 13 and 12 bench points, but everyone else played like crap.

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake in hiring Jeff Van Gundy, when we reverse course and beat the Cs 102-97 in Boston to stop the drought. Incidentally it's also the first game this month Eutor Taffarel has played, our first round pick having dealt with injury issues. Marc Gasol leads the way with 19 points, 14 rebounds, support coming from reserves Timofey Mozgov (12 points, 9 rebounds), Eric Bledsoe (12 points), and Xavier Henry (11 points).

But then we drop the back end of the doubleheader, 110-102 to a terrible Toronto team. Best event of the night? Allen Iverson's 11 points in just 7 minutes.

We barely beat the sad-sack Pistons 100-92 on Tiago Splitter's 20 points and 9 rebounds, Marc Gasol's 18 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks, and Ryan Gomes and Xavier Henry's 11 and 10 bench points.

A fourth quarter rally swings a key playoff position game our way, a narrow 117-114 victory over Portland. Tiago Splitter dominates for 25 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 blocks, and Xavier Henry, Eric Bledsoe, and Nicolas Batum spark the second team with a staircase 12, 11, 10 bench points.

It's calming to see us get the sweep, especially since the second game was our best of the month - a 108-88 tromping of the Thunder. Marc Gasol absolutely owns the post with 20 points and 23 rebounds, Tiago Splitter none too shabby himself with 15 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Jose Calderon rips off 20 points, and Nicolas Batum scores 11 bench points.

Nice to have three straight wins before the All-Star break, particularly given how out of it we looked to start the month.

All-Star Festivities
Stanley Robinson of the Toronto Raptors wins the slam dunk contest and Kyle Korver wins his second straight 3 point shooting contest. Makes me think I should maybe go get him.

An absolutely thrilling Rookies-Sophomores game this year, one that saw the first years win 126-122 in OT. Mills Jolly, who I thought was the best all-around potential PG in the draft, although with a bad handling ceiling, took home MVP honors with 26 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 assists. Looking like a nice pick for Memphis at #10 overall. Eutor Taffarel started for the Rookies and acquitted himself well - 19 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal, and a turnover on 7/16 shooting, 3/8 from behind the arc. Tiago Splitter started for the sophomores and was 7/12 for 17 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 steals.

What about #1 overall pick Ryan Hoiberg, you ask? He tore his ACL on January 2nd and is done for the year. A damn shame too, as he was putting up 16.4 points, 8.4 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks, but durability was the biggest knock on him coming out of college. It appears that health risk has indeed come to pass.

The West beat the East pretty handily - 142-127. Chris Paul was named Game MVP due to 17 points, 17 assists, and 4 steals. We actually had a representative this year. Marc Gasol played 8 minutes off the bench and scored 5 points.

I decide to do some browsing of the available goods on the trade deadline market. Joakim Noah's on the block, interestingly enough, as is Danny Granger. Oh look, Raymond Felton's on the block, too, and so is John Wall.

Wait, what? Wall's available?

Los Angeles Clippers receive
PG John Wall
C Brad Jones
PG Kirk Hinrich

Washington Wizards receive
C Marc Gasol
SG Xavier Henry
Toronto Raptors 2012 2nd round pick
Los Angeles Clippers 2013 1st round pick

What this means for the Clippers
GM Jestor coveted UNLV alum Jones from the very beginning, and his general sense also was that he overpaid for Gasol in free agency Jones isn't the rebounder that Gasol is, but he's a defensive presence and can block shots with the best of them. Wall is already an ideal Jestorball PG and he has the upside to only get better n his passing, handling, and stealing. Hinrich is just here to make salaries work.

What this means for the Wizards
Washington lacked a star player and offensive scorer in the post and now they have that in the younger Gasol, not to mention a ferocious rebounder. Henry bounced back and forth between the starting lineup and the bench during his short time in LA, and he's locked down at the SF starter with Washington. The Clippers first will probably be a mid to late selection, as all of LA's key players are 26 and under, but Washington does get a high 2nd round pick for their troubles.

Winner: Draw
Both teams get a lot to love in this deal and both of them gave up something significant to get the things they wanted. The Wizards are a playoff team in the East at 27-26, and so are the Clippers in the West at 33-19, so it will be interesting to see how their fortunes pan out.

I am absolutely thrilled with this trade. I got the point guard I can plug in there for the next 10 years and I got my Runnin' Rebel to start at C. I still have way too many 2nd round picks, but at least I got rid of one of them. We also have the Mavericks' 2013 1st, which is why I was willing to deal our pick in that year.

Our new lineup:

PG John Wall
SG Eutor Taffarel
SF Timofey Mozgov/Nicolas Batum
PF Tiago Splitter
C Brad Jones

The new starting five gets a 99-83 debut win over the Bobcats. Tiago Splitter scores 20, as does John Wall, the latter of whom also had 6 assists to 3 turnovers in his first game as a Clipper. Eric Bledsoe and Jose Calderon paced the bench with 14 and 11 points respectively. My fellow Runnin' Rebel, Brad Jones, had a solid debut. He hit 4 of 8 shots for 8 points and 12 rebounds, sneering at the idea that he can't board like Marc.

Incidentally, Marc Gasol and Xavier Henry shot well in their Wizards' debut, as Washington steamrolled the Nuggets 127-93. But they didn't have a big impact on the game, not like Gilbert Arenas, who went off 42 points, 9 rebounds, and 7 assists in his first start at PG in a long time. Reggie "Hi, I'm Overrated" Williams scored 22 with 7 assists starting at Arenas' old SG spot.

We beat Golden State on the road the night after, an impressive 110-96 win. John Wall looking the real deal with 23 points, 15 assists to 2 turnovers. Tiago Splitter scores 21 and Brad Jones is ever-present in the post for 11 points, 14 rebounds and 4 blocks. 13 and 11 points for Nicolas Batum and Ryan Gomes off the bench.

Oh so thin and oh so beautiful 109-106 victory versus San Antonio. All five starters with 10+ points, including Tiago Splitter's 34 points and 10 rebounds, and John Wall's 15 points, 12 assists, and 8 rebounds. The win costs us Jose Calderon for a couple weeks with a calf injury, but we're deep enough at PG to withstand the loss.

The biggest sign of how great this trade is comes in Denver a few nights later. For the first time in forever we beat the Nuggets, 121-106. John Wall flourishes again with 29 points and 13 assists, and he's joined by Tiago Splitter's 22 points and 4 steals, Eric Bledsoe's 20 bench points, and Kirk Hinrich's 13 bench points. Unfortunately, Timofey Mozgov is questionable for two weeks with a finger injury, and Nicolas Batum is hurt for our next game.

So with all those injuries, our month-ending 107-89 road loss to the Blazers is no surprise. John Wall did his best with 34 points, but when he's the only offense on the night, that just isn't going to be enough.

I'm still happy, though. At 37-20, we're just barely ahead of San Antonio in the fight for the 3 seed. We went 4-1 after the trade and we would have given Portland a better challenge without the injuries.

Los Angeles Clippers Leaders
2. John Wall - 15.6 (14.8 with Washington, so he's fast on the rise)
3. Jose Calderon - 10.9 (the only other Clipper with 10+ points scored)

Rebounds
1. Brad Jones - 8.5 (8.6 with Washington)
2. Tiago Splitter - 7.1
3. Timofey Mozgov - 5.1 (only other Clipper with 5+ boards)

Assists
1. John Wall - 6.8 (6.5 with Washington, so this is on the rise too)
2. Jose Calderon - 6.7
3. Eric Bledsoe - 3.5

Blocks
1. Brad Jones - 2.0
T2. Tiago Splitter - 1.4
T2. Eutor Taffarel - 1.4

Steals
1. John Wall - 1.2
T2. Tiago Splitter - 0.9
T2. Brad Jones - 0.9
T2. Eric Bledsoe - 0.9

Jose Calderon with a 6.6 A/TO ratio. John Wall's 2.5 is a little low - I normally like to see at least 3 for my starting PG, but he's making up for it in other areas.

League Leaders
2. Kobe Bryant (LAL - 28.0
3. Lebron James (MIA) - 26.8

Assists
1. Chris Paul (NO) - 10.5
2. Deron Williams (UTA) - 10.3
3. Rajon Rondo (BOS) - 9.5

Rebounds
1. Dwight Howard (ORL) - 13.5
2. Andrew Bogut (MIL) - 13.0
3. Joakim Noah (IND) - 12.1

Looks like Noah didn't get traded after all.

Blocks
1. Andrew Bogut (MIL) - 3.5
2. Dwight Howard (ORL) - 3.3
T3. Pau Gasol (LAL) - 2.7
T3. Brendan Haywood (DAL) - 2.7

Rookies Leaders
2. Germayne Postell (TOR) - 12.1
3. Mills Jolly (MEM) - 11.7

Assists
1. Mills Jolly (MEM) - 5.4
2. Ricky Rubio (MIN) - 4.5
3. Hector Simmons (NY) - 4.1

Rebounds
1. Brad Jones (LAC) - 8.5
2. Germayne Postell (TOR) - 7.5
3. Clay Minahan (CHA) - 6.7

Blocks
1. Brad Jones (LAC) - 2.0
2. Sam Kitt (GSW) - 1.8
3. Germayne Postell (TOR) - 1.4
4. Eutor Taffarel (LAC) - 0.9

Steals
T1. Mills Jolly (MEM) - 1.3
T1. Brandon Molnar (DET) - 1.3
3. Andrew Kirtz (MIL) - 1.2
4. Arlon Knight (MIN) - 1.1

At this point, I'd call the Rookie of the Year race a three way tie between Postell (taken 2nd), Jolly (taken 10th), and Kirtz (taken 11th). Kirtz, a Duke alum, just might end up being one of the biggest steals in this draft by the time all is said and done.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:05 am

So yeah, our trade totally rocked the NBA, but that's how I roll. Blockbuster Town, baby!

The other deadline deals:
NONE

Wow. Shocking considering the flurry of trades last year.

Also shocking - Brad Jones was named Rookie of the Month. See, Brad? UNLVers sticking together = good luck charm.

We celebrate the achievement with a 123-85 clobbering of the Kings. John Wall posts my favorite line of the year - 31 points, 11 assists, 0 turnovers and then Eric Bledsoe goes 7 of 7 from 3 point range for 29 points in 23 minutes. Talk about insane in the membrane.

Some of the players got a little too drunk when they went out after the game, so we're groggy the next night, just barely pulling out a 95-92 win over the Timberwolves. Brad Jones is Player of the Game with 16 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 2 steals, and Eric Bledsoe scores 16 bench points. I will never, ever trade Bledsoe. He's the one player from the prior regime who wows me as I said before, and I love him and Wall going from Kentucky to ending up playing on the same NBA team together. In fact, I could see a Bledsoe/Wall backcourt going on in a few seasons, which would be totally awesome.

We got upset 105-95 by the Kings, but it was a road game. 13 points, 11 assists the lone highlight, courtesy of John Wall.

Fortunately that's just a blip as we beat Dallas 106-89 in the next contest. Brad Jones just misses the double with 10 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 blocks and Eric Bledsoe is impressive with 17 points, 7 rebounds and 4 steals off the bench in winning Player of the Game. Dexter Pittman produces a surprise 10 bench points. The win is our 40th of the season.

Somehow Denver always manages to be at .500 when we play them, and we win this one 128-105 to send them back under. Tiago Splitter has his first big game in a while with 28 points and 3 blocks, while Eric Bledsoe scores 20 bench points, Jose Calderon 15 points and 7 assists as the other major player in the second stringers.

105-101 win over Utah powered by Tiago Splitter's 23 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks and John Wall's 24 points for a great 1-2 outside-inside punch, exactly the way I envisioned this team after the deadline trade.

The problem with a team as young as ours is that we tend to falter on the road, and so we're knocked off 109-94 by Houston, Eric Bledsoe and Ryan Gomes's paired 11 bench points the only thing to write home about.

It's compounded with a 104-97 road loss to New Orleans the night after, with no performances really worth discussing. Kirk Hinrich and Jose Calderon complain about playing time. I refuse to comment and both get mad at me for not sacking up. O rly? Prepare to get hammered the next time you boys complain, then.

Playing a bad team on your home court always helps smooths things over, as we top Memphis 102-87. John Wall and Tiago Splitter each score 21, Brad Jones bangs his way to 10 points and 16 rebounds, and Jose Calderon makes his case for more PT with 12 points in 11 minutes. Credit Nicolas Batum's job on Danny Granger too, holding the All-NBA chucker to 8 of 24.

I seem to remember the Nets being a team that gives us trouble, and sure enough, we lose 117-114 in Los Angeles. 25 and 24 points from Tiago Splitter and Nicolas Batum and a pair of 13s off the bench from Eric Bledsoe and Louis Amundson don't matter when Amundson's fellow UNLV alum and John Wall both play like ****.

Nicolas Batum is our high scorer with 27 points off the bench (Last game was off the bench too, and I'm getting pretty annoyed with Jeff Van Gundy giving Timofey Mozgov starts there) to lead us to a 108-99 win over Golden State. 20 points from John Wall, 18 points and 12 rebounds from Tiago Splitter.

Milwaukee bashes us 112-76. Let's pretend that game never happened. Fortunately a few days after that, we beat Portland 116-107 on their turf. Nicolas Batum gets his starting job back and has his third straight 20+ game with 21 points. Tiago Splitter gets 19 points and 10 rebounds, John Wall 14 points and 11 assists. Ryan Gomes comes up with 17 bench points.

Tiago Splitter scores 32 points in our 120-99 road smackdown of the Cavaliers. He's abetted by John Wall's 16 points and 12 assists, Eric Bledsoe's 16 bench points, and Timofey Mozgov's 12 points and 8 rebounds, also off the bench.

Our first doubleheader in a long time ends a success, with a 108-87 cutdown of the Knicks in the Big Apple. Props to Tiago Splitter's 22 points, John Wall's 16 points and 10 assists, and Timofey Mozgov's 10 bench points, but what really makes me happy is Eutor Taffarel's 21 points, a career high and his first 20+ point game in the NBA.

We'll lose Tiago Splitter for a week and a half to a toe injury. Better now than in the playoffs. We're guaranteed to have a playoff spot, so I'll just go through the motions. At 34-39, Denver is indeed looking like a fluke champion last year like I thought they were, and may miss the postseason.

107-85 win over Charlotte thanks to all five starters in double-digit scoring, led by My fellow UNLV guy Brad Jones with a beautiful 20 point, 14 rebound, 6 assist, 4 block game, that his career high in scoring. John Wall is the other highlight with 23 points.

Even though we lose 123-115, I'm proud of how we played against Miami without Tiago. 20 points from Timofey Mozgov, 12 points, 11 assists from John Wall, but the best production was the bench - 17, 16, 10 points from Ryan Gomes, Eric Bledsoe, and Dexter Pittman.

Traveling from Miami to Chicago for back to back games is just wrong, so I'm not fussed about the 101-84 loss. 20, 14, 11 points for John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, and Ryan Gomes. I just want the regular season done with.

I do, however, want a 50 win season, so the 105-95 victory versus the Rockets makes me happy to get to Win 49. Brad Jones produces 16 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocks and Eric Bledsoe and Derrick Pittman do work with 11 and 10 bench points.

Annoyance sets in as we lose 115-105 to Phoenix, throwing away Brad Jones's 22 points and 11 rebounds, Tiago Splitter's 14 points and 10 rebounds, John Wall's 13 points and 10 assists, and Ryan Gomes's 14 bench points.

Ugly 90-81 loss to the Lakers. Whatever.

I think the players can sense me about to explode, because we blow out Minnesota 107-72 for that 50th win. Tiago Splitter's back fully in the groove with 28 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Nicolas Batum drops 23 points from the bench, Eric Bledsoe 11. Oh, and Brad Jones doubles for 11 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

Okay, let's just go through the rest. Oh, by the way, I shred Jose Calderon for slacking and he gets mad about it. Dexter Pittman has been hot, so I give him the love.

@ Utah - 95-103 L
vs Dallas - 117-88 W (Splitter - 23 points, Mozgov - 18 points, 7 rebounds, Gomes - 17 points)

!!!! John Wall gets back spasms in the Dallas game and is out a week and a half. **** **** ****! Not good for the playoffs.

He insists on playing hurt for some crazy reason, but it's Eutor Taffarel's 21 points, Timofey Mozgov's crazy 7 points, 11 rebounds, and 8 blocks, and Jose Calderon's 11 bench points that give us the 99-93 win over Oklahoma City in the final game of the regular season.

West Playoff Seeding
1. Los Angeles Lakers (61-21)
2. New Orleans Hornets (58-24)
3. San Antonio Spurs (54-28)
4. Portland Trailblazers (46-36)
5. Los Angeles Clippers (52-30) (Home Court Advantage)
6. Dallas Mavericks (47-35)
7. Utah Jazz (45-37)
8. Houston Rockets (44-38)

Kevin Durant's Thunder missed out on the playoffs by losing to us, sitting home with their 43-39 record.

East Playoff Seeding
1. Atlanta Hawks (57-25)
2. Miami Heat (55-27)
3. Boston Celtics (51-31)
4. Milwaukee Bucks (49-33)
5. Orlando Magic (51-31) (Homecourt advantage)
6. Philadelphia 76ers (48-34)
7. Chicago Bulls (44-38)
8. Washington Wizards (42-40)

Wow, no under .500 teams in the East. Huge improvement. Washington made the playoffs thanks to our trade, so it worked out fantastic for both teams for this season at least.

6 days for John Wall to be back to full health. But Portland's missing Greg Oden, who broke his elbow in the Blazers' last game of the regular season. Old Man Oden's injury curse continues.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby blazertaz13 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:15 am

I would say good luck in the play offs, but you are going against my hometown team.

By the way thanks for this, I am playing again and now I am getting to think about my latest association and the frustration of uneven play of my Blazers. So thanks again. :-)
blazertaz13

Postby Tim Moungey » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:30 pm

blazertaz13 wrote:I would say good luck in the play offs, but you are going against my hometown team.

By the way thanks for this, I am playing again and now I am getting to think about my latest association and the frustration of uneven play of my Blazers. So thanks again. :-)

Thanks. :) Almost gives you flashbacks to Denver doesn't it? :D

Have you had any luck winning a title with Portland yet?
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports