6. DeMarcus Cousins (20)
7. Jonny Flynn (22)
8. Dorell Wright (24)
9. Trevor Booker (6)
10. Ramon Sessions (16)
11. Mike Sweetney (0)
12. Wayne Ellington (0)
Inactive: Alonzo Gee

I set for a slow pace, hard crash of the boards, and medium defensive intensity. We don't have much in the way of scoring wings, nor guards that can finish on the break, so I'd prefer to slow it down and dump it in to Jefferson, Love and Cousins.
Myles Nelson

Postby Myles Nelson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:59 pm

[SIZE="4"]2010-2011 Season Preview[/SIZE]

Eastern Conference
1. New Jersey Nets (Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Brook Lopez, Devin Harris)
2. Cleveland Cavaliers (LeBron James, Mo Williams, Antawn Jamison, Shaq)
3. New York Knicks (David Lee, Joe Johnson, Danilo Gallinari, Xavier Henry)
4. Orlando Magic (Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis)
5. Boston Celtics (Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett)
6. Milwaukee Bucks (Andrew Bogut, John Salmons, Corey Maggette, Brandon Jennings)
7. Philadelphia 76ers (Andre Iguodala, Evan Turner, Louis Williams, Spencer Hawes)
8. Chicago Bulls (Derrick Rose, Kirk Hinrich, Luol Deng, Joakim Noah)
9. Charlotte Bobcats (Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace, Raymond Felton, Tyrus Thomas)
10. Indiana Pacers (Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Troy Murphy, Brandon Rush)
11. Atlanta Hawks (Al Horford, Josh Smith, Jamal Crawford, Marvin Williams)
12. Miami Heat (Luis Scola, Michael Beasley, Jermaine O'Neal, Allen Iverson)
13. Detroit Pistons (Rodney Stuckey, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Derrick Favors)
14. Washington Wizards (John Wall, Gilbert Arenas, Andray Blatche, Al Thornton)
15. Toronto Raptors (Andrea Bargnani, Jarrett Jack, Jose Calderon, Ekpe Udoh)

Western Conference
1. Los Angeles Lakers (Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom)
2. Golden State Warriors (Steph Curry, Monta Ellis, David West, Reggie Williams)
3. Denver Nuggets (Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Nene, J.R. Smith)
4. San Antonio Spurs (Tim Duncan, Tiago Splitter, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker)
5. Dallas Mavericks (Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Jason Kidd, Caron Butler)
6. Utah Jazz (Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer, AK47, Raja Bell)
7. Portland Trail Blazers (Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Andre Miller, Nic Batum)
8. Memphis Grizzlies (Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, OJ Mayo)
9. Sacramento Kings (Tyreke Evans, Amar'e Stoudemire, Carl Landry, Beno Udrih)
10. Oklahoma City Thunder (Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Jeff Green, James Harden)
11. Houston Rockets (Yao Ming, Kevin Martin, Aaron Brooks, Trevor Ariza)
12. Minnesota Timberwolves (Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio, DeMarcus Cousins)
13. New Orleans Hornets (Chris Paul, Darren Collison, Marcus Thornton, Emeka Okafor)
14. Los Angeles Clippers (Chris Kaman, Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Baron Davis)
15. Phoenix Suns (Steve Nash, J-Rich, Al Harrington, Grant Hill)

One thing is for sure: The West is deep. 11 deep, and possibly 12 deep if the Hornets can figure out CP3 can carry a team with no post presence. The East is really only 5 deep, with 4 or 5 okay teams after that. The West has 12 teams that could all make the playoffs, and of those 12, probably 8 who could contend for the Finals.

MVP: Kevin Durant, OKC
ROY: John Wall, WAS
DPoY: Josh Smith, ATL
MIP: Derrick Rose, CHI
COY: Stan Van Gundy, ORL
Myles Nelson

Postby Myles Nelson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Opening night for Timberwolves basketball at the Target Center, and we face the up and coming Sacramento Kings. Our biggest tasks will be to force the ball out of Tyreke's hands and keep Stoudemire from dunking so often. We win big, 100-76, on the strength of 17 team steals. We kept them from getting good shots, and although Amar'e Stoudemire had a big game with 15 points and 16 rebounds, it was our overall depth that won this game. Rubio led the way with 22 points and 3 steals, but we had no less than 6 players in double figures including Corey Brewer (16), and Kevin Love (12 points and 7 rebounds). Good way to start the season.

We get a couple nights off before our second game of the year against the Houston Rockets. Kevin Martin carried them to their first win against New Orleans, so we'll look for Brewer to shut him down, and to contain the dangerous Yao Ming. Although we don't do either of that very well, we still get the 106-90 win over the Rockets. Kevin Martin had 17 points, but was only 1-5 from beyond, and Yao had 19 points, but we held everyone else to under 10 points. Offensively, it was Cousins, Brewer and Rubio who led the way with 17, 20 and 16. Jefferson and Love had big days on the boards, and we came away with a win.

The next night we have a game in Oklahoma City. I was concerned about fatigue, as always in the 2nd night of a back-to-back, and that really hurt us. Jefferson, Brewer and Rubio struggled from the field, and we lost 88-78 to the Thunder. Although we did well defensively, we couldn't score aside from Love, who had an efficient 14 points and 13 rebounds. Another problem is we allowed too many boards, as we were outrebounded for the first time this season.

We go back home to face the undefeated Grizzlies, who have been led by their post duo of Randolph (22 points per game) and Gasol (16 points). Mayo has also been shooting the lights out, averaging 15 points on 53% from the floor. While we didn't contain these guys, we did hold all their teammates to poor shooting nights, and we came away with the win 108-96. Love and Jefferson really struggled inside, but Rubio stepped up with 14 points and 10 assists, and Dorell Wright and Cousins pitched in 18 and 17 off the bench.

We travel to Sacramento a few nights later to battle the struggling Kings, who are without the injured Tyreke Evans. It doesn't matter, as Landry and Stoudemire have good games to beat us 96-82. It seems we don't score well on the road, and we only shot 38.6% on the night. Jefferson had a big game with 17 points and 16 boards, but it took him 20 shots to get there, and that just isn't efficient enough to win for us. We fall to 3-2.

In Utah two nights later, and we have to make sure we can keep D-Will in check. It's okay if he scores, it's not okay if he finds his teammates as well. He doesn't do either well in their 91-78 loss, only scoring 13 points to go with 6 assists. Love and Jefferson each get double-doubles, Rubio scores 19, and we get a good win over a tough Utah team.

We travel to LA to face the defending champs. They are easily one of the most dangerous teams in the league, and one of the tallest, with no starter under 6'6", and a 6'10" starting shooting guard. We predictably fall, losing 112-78. Their offense was balanced and spread out, and our offense just struggled. Jefferson went 2-16 from the floor, and Corey Brewer was the only guy who could hit a shot. It was just a bad game all around.

Utah comes to Minnesota and this time they beat us badly, 109-96. The exact thing we didn't want to happen last time happened this time, as D-Will got 24 points and 11 assists. Flynn and Sessions played well, getting 12 each off the bench, and Jefferson absolutely beasted it for 25 points on 15 shots, but we need more help if we want to win games.

We get killed by Portland in Portland, losing big 105-82. LaMarcus Aldridge goes off for 34 points and 7 rebounds, and Marcus Camby does a good job holding Jefferson to 33% shooting. The only player of note for us is DeMarcus Cousins, who gets 13 points, 6 boards and 5 blocks on 75% shooting.

We snap our three game losing streak with a home win over the Philadelphia 76ers. Although they had a pretty well-spread offense, we were just a little better winning 104-96. Cousins had another good game with 13 points, Jefferson gets 14 and 16 boards, but Sessions leads the way with 18 points off the bench.

We beat down the struggling Raptors 106-91, once again playing well on a spread out offense. This time we have 7 players in double digits, led by Corey Brewer's 17 points. We also hold them to 37% from the floor. One alarming statistic for us: we shot 45% from the free throw line. Not a good sign.

We travel to Detroit and lose to the worst team in the league. I can't say anything more. That's just pathetic. 106-90. Ouch.

6-6 record. Ryan Gomes has injured his wrist so I need to make adjustments to the lineup, and now is a good time to evaluate players and adjust everything. The next post will be evaluations and changes.
Myles Nelson

Postby Tim Moungey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 pm

I just realized you're running a coach only dynasty. I believe that's the first DDSPB2 coach only dynasty we've had. This will be interesting.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Myles Nelson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Yep, I have never even played coach-only before either. So this is a brand-new experience entirely.
Myles Nelson

Postby K.J. » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:04 pm

This is indeed a challenge, as it tests your skills to the limit. Incidentally, are you simulating the games?
K.J.

Postby zike_42 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:32 pm

I think that's the first time I have ever seen lebron re-sign with the cavs. Good luck with the tram.
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby K.J. » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:54 pm

zike_42, what are you doing here? You should focus on your very important vacation!;)
K.J.

Postby Myles Nelson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:57 pm

I'm simulating the games since I don't have time to coach all the games, but I'm tweaking sub-matrixes for each team, but I'm going to tweak a lot right now.
Myles Nelson

Evaluations

Postby Myles Nelson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Stats
Corey Brewer 13.2 ppg, .8 A/TO, 43.7% fg, 100% STOP
Ricky Rubio 12.8 ppg, 3.2 A/TO, 43.3% fg, 47.1% STOP
Al Jefferson 12.8 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 36.8% fg
Kevin Love 11 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 43.2% fg
Ramon Sessions 9.1 ppg, 1.6 A/TO, 43.4% fg, 77.4% STOP
DeMarcus Cousins 8.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 53.6% fg
Dorell Wright 8.4 ppg, .8 TOpg, 51.5% fg, 51.6% 3pt, 89.5% STOP
Jonny Flynn 8.1 ppg, 1.3 A/TO, 47% fg, 70.6% STOP
Ryan Gomes 7.5 ppg, 46.1% fg, 78.6% STOP

Evaluations
Brewer is doing just fine, he'll keep getting minutes. I'm actually starting to like him.
Rubio's defense sucks, but his offense more than makes up for it in my mind.
Something has to be done about Jefferson. I'm going to cut his minutes until he learns to post up more.
Love is alright but I'm going to teach him to stop chucking up threes.
Sessions is acceptable, especially in a backup role.
Cousins is going to start taking away minutes from Jefferson.
Wright is going to start at SF now instead of Gomes.
Flynn is mediocre. Better shooter and defender than Rubio but doesn't take care of the ball as well.
Gomes is fine, he's going to be moving into the post a little bit more.

Updated Depth Chart
PG Ricky Rubio (28)
SG Corey Brewer (30)
SF Dorell Wright (30)
PF Kevin Love (36)
C Al Jefferson (28)
6. DeMarcus Cousins (24)
7. Jonny Flynn (20)
8. Ryan Gomes (22)
9. Ramon Sessions (18)
10. Trevor Booker (4)
11. Wayne Ellington (0)
12. Mike Sweetney (0)
Inactive: Alonzo Gee

NOTE: DeMarcus Cousins is closing games out now instead of Jefferson. Cousins field goal percentage is much better, and his defense and rebound rate are similar enough that I won't miss Jefferson's production on that end.

Oh how I wish we had a Call-GM feature so I could call David Kahn and tell him to trade Jefferson... the production we could get in return... sigh...
Myles Nelson

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports