Starless in South Beach

Postby Alex86 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:24 pm

General Mystery?
Buried amongst the increasing raft of draft hysteria coming out of the Miami Heat press office this week was some interesting news. Rookie GM Hollis Baxter was quietly extended for the 2011-12 season, a simple, clean 1 year deal with no option in favour of either side. This deal is interesting on a few levels, but the primary question one finds themselves asking is what exactly has Baxter done to ‘earn’ this extension, besides leading the Heat to their 2nd worst regular season record in franchise history? Granted Baxter took the team over in a tough spot, and has managed to scramble for Tiago Splitter, who has been heralded as the piece Miami can build around. But it shouldn’t be forgotten that Michael Beasley, the guy whose departure set in place the chain of deals that led to the acquisition of Splitter, averaged just 2 fewer points per game last season and is still 4 years younger than the Brazilian. His record in free agency is an unmitigated disaster, the bonanza of summer 2010 yielded nobody better than Quentin Richardson and Steve Blake for the Heat, while in what is one of the most crucial drafts in franchise history we’re handing the reigns to a man who was directly involved in drafting Avery Bradley, and look how that turned out. So just why is the franchise backing a man who, on the surface, looks to have very little goodwill to fall back on when explaining the myriad of miscalculations that led to last season? Why Baxter?

An answer is hard to find, Miami’s GM is something of a mysterious figure. Naturally interviews were thin on the ground last season as the NBA took the stand point of pointing and laughing rather than reporting on matters on the South Beach, even reporters from the Miami Herald were fobbed off with assistants and lackeys when requesting face time with the new GM. His history shines no real light on any special skills that have bought him time either. Born and raised in the United Kingdom and an Edinburgh University graduate with a background in statistics, he joined the Heat as an intern just 5 years ago, a remarkably short rise from that post to GM. Nobody within the organisation has had much to say about Baxter during his relatively short reign, aside from owner Micky Arison’s assurances that Pat Riley had been grooming the Brit for the post personally. The wry smile and ‘no comment’ from Riley when asked about this by a local reporter cast doubt over the claims, but he’s obviously won the faith of somebody with power within the Heat hierarchy.

It was with interest then that reporters listened to Baxter’s first major press conference as GM this past week, to announce to firing of young coach Erik Spoelstra. Coach Spoelstra was never given anything like a championship calibre team to work with in Miami, and the cast of misfits thrust him upon this year left him with a thankless task. On some level Baxter’s talk of the departed not being a good enough developer of talent has merit. As do his assertions that the outgoing coach placed too much emphasis one experienced heads in a time of transition and where faith in youth is a necessity. But when you get the heart of the matter it’s a sacking that smacks of opportunism, Baxter offering up a sacrificial lamb on which to defer blame and shamefully it appears to have worked.

So what are we to take from the short meeting with the press? Baxter talked of increased emphasis on defence and a faster offense. His enthusiastic descriptions of a pure point guard surely lead us to conclude that Kyrie Irving is the favourite to go #1 in June, but his preference for big men who live in the post doesn’t bode well for Jonas Valanciunas’ chances of going 5th. There were a few intriguing sound bites, some enlightenment but more questions than answers still remain.

Arison has spoken enthusiastically of a .500 or better team for next season, apparently convinced that 3 lottery picks and a better stab at free agency can quicken the rebuild sufficiently to, at the very least, challenge for a return to the post-season shake-up. Should he draft badly or fail to build a winning team then the mystery surrounding GM Hollis Baxter might remain forever, because he won’t be around to answer any more questions.

I kind of like the man of mystery tag. They’re bang on about the Spoelstra sacking though, entirely to try and save my own bacon.

So I clung on to my job by my fingertips. The other thing the article had right was that I had no special skillset that saved me, essentially what kept me in a GM position was the owners assertions that he was too tight to spring for an experienced GM given the mess of the current team. So in a roundabout way I was saved by my own ineptitude, kind of neat. Well that and the fact I’d kept us well under the cap, in Arison’s mind I might be bad at my job but at least I’m frugal whilst doing it. Isiah Thomas would kill for that sort of epitaph.

My second meeting with Mr Arison didn’t go so well. He didn’t like it when I told him we’d miss the playoffs again next season, not one bit. In fact he so much as told me that it’s play offs next season or I’m out of a job, which puts a whole new spin on how we approach the off-season. I hadn’t intended on spending big in free agency but if it keeps me in employment then I’ll throw dollars at anybody willing to listen.

Spoelstra’s replacement arrived after a fairly swift interview process. Jeff Van Gundy ticked all the requisite boxes, playoff experience, good developer of talent, more emphasis on defense and a proponent of quickening our offensive pace. Intrigued by the prospect of building something great from such a clean slate, and more so by the rather large salary we offered him, Van Gundy signed on for 3 years with TR Dunn, Chip Engelland and Donte Tillente as his assistants. Just in time to have an input in our draft selections.

Mock Draft - Lottery Preview
#1 Kyrie Irving

#2 Derrick Williams
#3 Donatas Motiejunas
#4 Enes Kanter
#5 Alec Burks
#6 Jonas Valanciunas
#7 Bismack Biyombo
#8 Roey Naveh
#9 Jan Vesely
#10 Brandon Knight
#11 Tristian Thompson
#12 Jordan Hamilton
#13 Kenneth Faried
#14 Tobias Harris

According to the mocks we're down to take Kyrie Irving, Alec Burks and Tobias Harris, and all three are nice players. Irving is a consideration at #1 but it's far from a lock, Burks I see as a reach as high as #5 but if he falls within range of our 3rd pick he's definitely on the radar. Harris a nice player, especially as late at #14 but he'd be a bad fit for our team. Given Splitter lives in the post and we're shopping for a centre who does likewise we need spacing from our small forward and Harris, and for that matter predicted top 5 pick Derrick Williams, just can't offer that. With that in mind neither Harris nor Williams are in the 15 man group invited along to workout prior to the draft, with Irving, Enes Kanter, Jonas Valanciunas and Brandon Knight particularly wowing our staff. I'd hoped Jan Vesley would have had more of an impact, given that a 6'11 skilled small forward would be most GMs dream but his skillset isn't quite as good as billed. He's still a talented kid though.
Alex86

Postby Alex86 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm

NBA Draft 2011 –
A draft war room is a lot less exciting than it sounds, though by all accounts ours was generating the most buzz in the NBA, owning three lottery picks will do that. Debate about our choices was rife, who could we pick to help turn the franchise around? Would we shop one or more of the picks to try and acquire a proven vet? Just how much pizza is it appropriate to order?

The first pick is expected to be Kyrie Irving according to the mocks, and we have indeed narrowed in down to him and one other player. Enes Kanter is a 6-11 skilled centre out of Kentucky who really impressed us during workouts and wouldn’t be a reach at #1. Normally Derrick Williams would be in play too, but Tiago Splitter’s emergence as a possible franchise cornerstone makes Williams mostly post-based offense a bad fit for a team who needs spacing from its small forward.

#1 Miami select – Kyrie Irving
The only consensus 5 star player on the board, had a great workout, it had to be him. JP likes the pick but Chris doesn’t see #1 talent in him. Bah. He does add that Irving has all the tools necessary to be an offensive threat at NBA level though, so I’ll let the scamp off.

#2 Washington select – Derrick Williams
Glad he’s gone. Probably the 2nd best player in the draft but does not fit our needs at all given his style of play. The talking heads like the pick though and I have to agree it’s a great fit for Washington. He can run the floor with John Wall and given Andray Blatche’s preference to step out and hit jumpers he’ll have space to work inside.

#3 New Jersey select – Enes Kanter
Panic. Given New Jersey have Cousins and Lopez as natural 5s I did not expect them to take the guy I had earmarked at #5. There's still a fall back option on the board but he'd fit OKC worryingly well. To rub salt in the wound both talking heads gush over the pick.

#4 Oklahoma select – Jonas Valanciunas
Double panic. Valanciunas was my fall back option. The problem now is the next 4 or 5 best players are either point guards or power forwards, the only two positions in which we have talent already. Guys like Bismack Biyombo, Kemba Walker and Brandon Knight would be fine at #5 but they aren’t going to help us on the court as much as maybe we need. With that in mind we hit the phones and surprisingly painlessly snag a deal.

Miami receives –
Enes Kanter

New Jersey receives-
2011 First Round Pick (#5)
2012 Second Round Pick
2013 Second Round Pick

Why for Miami?
The Heat made it a priority to draft a centre who can bang inside with Tiago Splitter. Kanter and Valanciunas are arguably the only two NBA ready 5s on the board and so Miami makes a move to grab one of European duo rather than reach for the centre or wing player they need.

Why for New Jersey?
The Nets already have one of the most intimidating teams in basketball, and in DeMarcus Cousins and Brook Lopez are blessed with two young quality centres already. Moving Kanter affords them 2 future 2nd rounders that should be high given Miami’s state of flux and a marginally cheaper top 5 pick.

Winner – Miami
It’s tough to tell given Kanter hasn’t played so much a single NBA minute, but he’s got the highest ceiling of any centre in the draft class and 2nd round picks very rarely make an impact in the modern-day NBA.

If the 2nd round pick is high enough to be worth something next season then I'm likely out of a job anyway. Kanter is the best big and best fit on the board outside of Irving so to get him at a relatively low cost is a relief.

#5 New Jersey select – Bismack Biyombo
Probably a better fit than Kanter in New Jersey anyway. A defensive monster who might save New Jersey some cap space with Yi’s contract up.

#6 Detroit select – Tristian Thompson
#7 Indiana select – Kemba Walker
#8 LA Clippers select – Brandon Knight
Great pick at this stage and a better bet than Walker in my opinion. Knight-Gordon-George-Griffin and Ed Davis is a scary core.

#9 Phoenix select – Jan Vesley
#10 Milwaukee select – Jordan Hamilton
#11 Sacramento select – Donatas Motiejunas
A legit 7 footer at the power forward is something to behold, but between him and Amare the Kings front court is going to be leaking a lot of points.

#12 Atlanta select – Alex Burks
Argh. A groan reverberates around our War Room for the third time of the night as indisputably our favourite player left on the board gets snapped up. I’d be crossing my fingers he’d still be around since our Kanter trade, we’d have even taken him ahead of Vesley or Hamilton should both have still been on the board. I think about trying to swing a trade but there’s one other guy I like and would be nice a fit, if he survives Houston I’ll just take him.

#13 Houston select – Marcus Morris
#14 Miami select – Kawhi Leonard
Would have preferred a real 3 point gunner but the guy can do lots of everything. The talking heads don’t pan it completely but they also don’t endorse it, saying he should have gone outside the lottery. Meh. There’s nobody else on the board I’d take ahead of him, the assistant coaches love Tobias Harris but he plays in the post far too much for a 3.

#15 Charlotte select – Chris Singleton
#16 Minnesota select – Tobias Harris
#17 Philly select – Christo Ganic
#18 Memphis select – Reggie Jackson
#19 Golden State select – Tyler Honeycutt
#20 Charlotte select – Kenneth Faried
#21 Boston select – Lucas Nogueira
#22 Portland select – Jimmer Fredette
Big slip for Fredette, I’m predicting that Jimmer-mania will run wild Portland.

#23 New York select – Roey Naveh
#24 Cleveland select – Markieff Morris
#25 Orlando select – Justin Harper
#26 New Orleans select – Klay Thompson
Kind of hoped he’d fall to #32 but it was always a slim chance.

#27 Lakers select – Jeremy Tyler
#28 Denver select – Kees Dag
#29 Dallas select – JuJuan Johnson
Bah. The only guy left I really liked. Time to take a flier
#30 New Jersey select – Trey Thompson

2nd Round
#31 Oklahoma City select – Kang Yu
#32 Miami select – Nolan Smith
Jeff Van Gundy likes what he's seen of Josh Selby but he’s a 6-1 shooting guard. I had enough problems living with Avery Bradley at the 2 guard, and 2 inches taller. In the end the story that goes along with reuniting the Duke guards is too neat to turn down. JP loves the pick, but I think I’ve offended Chris in some way as he’s reluctant to praise it again.

First impressions are that Kyrie Irving is potentially a beast, he’s not going to control games right out of the gates but a season or so of learning the NBA and the sky is the limit for this kid. Enes Kanter is pretty handy as well, his ability to score in the paint and rebound are at an NBA level already, but his defense has some way to go. Kawhi Leonard looks pretty average but will still be able to contribute, a jack of all trades but master of none, Kawhi might just develop into a nice glue guy. Nolan Smith isn’t great but odds are you’re going to strike out with 1 of the 4 picks and I’d much rather it be on the 2nd rounder.

Elsewhere Alec Burks looks like a value pick at #12, but not that much better than Leonard to make me regret not trading for him. Brandon Knight is a very nice selection at #8 for the Clippers, there’s actually not an awful lot between him and Kyrie Irving annoyingly. Bismack Biyombo makes the Nets even scarier; he’s going to be a beast defensively and can score inside and rebound well enough to crack the rotation already. Roy Naveh looks to be a bust for New York. Can’t score, can’t defend and has a cancerous personality, just an all-round terrible pick. Someone needs to check that Isiah didn’t infiltrate the draft room. Valanciunas projects every bit as good as Kanter, if he can curb his instincts to step outside and shoot jumpers, likewise Donatas Motiejunas who could be a steal at #11 if he fulfils his potential. Finally Derrick Williams runs Kyrie Irving –very- close for the title of best player in the draft. He can flat out score, rebounds well for a small forward and very possibly in the most NBA-ready prospect in the entire class.
Alex86

Postby K.J. » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 pm

If I were you, I would trade for Williams, Walker and Vesely even if they cost future first rounders.;)
K.J.

Postby Alex86 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:18 pm

K.J. wrote:If I were you, I would trade for Williams, Walker and Vesely even if they cost future first rounders.;)

Haha that sounds like the voice of experience talking. Williams does look like a genuine star in the making. Walker not so much straight out of the draft but he'd make a great first combo guard off the bench even as a rookie. Vesley looks handy too, he's essentially a rich man's version of Kawhi Leonard. The real steal of the draft looks like it might be Brandon Knight who is every bit as good as Irving, infuriatingly:D
Alex86

Postby K.J. » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:25 am

You must be using the updated file, as Knight is only very good in the original version. In the latter, I also drafted or traded for PF Jones, PF Sullinger and SF Jones, all of whom became potential franchise players after the adjustments in ratings on 20 March.:D

I would be following the fortunes of your team with great interest.
K.J.

Postby Alex86 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:59 am

K.J. wrote:You must be using the updated file, as Knight is only very good in the original version. In the latter, I also drafted or traded for PF Jones, PF Sullinger and SF Jones, all of whom became potential franchise players after the adjustments in ratings on 20 March.:D

I would be following the fortunes of your team with great interest.

Yeah I did grab the updated version for this one. Have used the original a fair few times though and you're quite right, those guys were monsters. In particular if you ever needed a forward with that draft class there were a few really great options in the lottery.

Thanks again K.J. :)

================================================

A ton of trades went down on draft night so I'm going to restrict myself to going over only those that effect teams rotations, with one in particular being a genuine franchise altering deal.

Bulls receive –
Jonny Flynn

Minny receive-
2011 1st Rounder #16 (Tobias Harris)

Why for Chicago?
The Bulls give up their first round selection for some depth at the point guard position. Flynn has struggled to assert himself in Minnesota but gives Chicago a poor man’s version of Derrick Rose off the bench insomuch as his willingness to relentlessly attack the basket. With the Bulls in win now mode, their draft pick is expendable.

Why for Minnesota
Flynn has always been something of a placeholder for Ricky Rubio, and with the Spaniard now part of the TWolves core and a solid first NBA season under his belt, David Kahn decides to shop Flynn while he still has some value. Kahn used the 16th pick relatively well in picking Tennessee forward Tobias Harris, although with Josh Childress and Wesley Johnson, as well as swingmen Corey Brewer and Terrence Williams, all able to play Harris’ position while they’re quite thin at point guard, it appears to be a strange decision.

Winner – Chicago
The Bulls get some depth in a position they actually needed it, Minnesota gets a talented player but just creates a longer log jam at the 3.

Bobcats receive-
2011 1st Round Pick #20 (Kenneth Faried)

Jazz receive –
Chris Singleton

Why for Charlotte?
I have no idea. Charlotte drafts Singleton at 15 then inexplicably deals him for a pick 5 places lower. Faried is a demon rebounder but he was there at #15 too…

Why for Utah?
Singleton was obviously top of Utah’s draft board and they moved to get him at no extra cost.

Winner- Charlotte
It sound nonsensical I know, but after the unnecessary shuffling they actually got the better player. Somehow.

Magic receive –
Ryan Gomes

TWolves receive-
Brandon Bass

Why for Orlando?
With Drew Gooden making the power forward slot his own and Ryan Anderson providing cover along with the 25th pick in this draft Justin Harper, Orlando are well covered at the 4. Gomes gives them outside shooting, a must in Stan Van Gundy’s system, and acceptable defense and comes with a reasonable, if not great, contract.

Why for Minnesota?
Their front court options are very thin, with Al Jefferson and Kevin Love having only Craig Brackins as backup confirmed for next year. Bass has the ability to play either front court position, albeit not particularly well.

Winner – Orlando
Both teams fill a bench need, but Orlando gets the better player.

Grizzlies receive-
Darrell Arthur

Blazers receive-
Rudy Fernandez

Why for Memphis?
Fernandez was unhappy with his PT in Memphis this past year and made it known publically on many occasions. The Grizz move him on before he completely destroys team chemistry.

Why for Portland?
Arthur was practically chained to the end of the bench in Portland, Fernandez meanwhile becomes probably their 2nd best shooting guard.

Winner – Portland
Of course the real loser in all this is Rudy Fernandez, he left the Blazers 2 years ago after complaining at lack of PT and ends up back there with if anything a more competitive guard unit awaiting him.

Blazers receive-
Amar’e Stourdamire

Kings receive-
Andre Miller
Greg Oden

Why for Portland?
In addition to swapping minor players with Memphis, Portland pulls the only real blockbuster trade of the 2011 draft night. Stoudamire is the answer Portland has been searching for at centre, taking over from the creaking bones of Marcus Camby. A big scoring, effective rebounder Stoudamire and LaMarcus Aldridge form an intimidating front court. Oden never really convinced Portland he was a viable option after surgery on both knees, while Jimmer Fredette’s arrival makes Miller expendable.

Why for Sacramento?
Amare signing in Sacramento last season was widely regarded as the push the young group needed to get to the post season, so the 36-46 season that followed was a huge disappointment. Oden seems to have put the worst of his injury problems behind him, playing 79 games from the bench last season, and while he’ll never be the dominant player Portland thought they were drafting back in 2007, he can still be an effective front court presence. Miller can either act as mentor and year rental point guard, or cap relief as his final contract year is non-guaranteed.

Winner – Portland
The Blazers get a genuine franchise player for an over the hill point guard and a bench centre with glass knees. And with Beno Udrih and Luke Ridnour already guaranteed money in Sacramento, and franchise cornerstone Tyreke Evans a ball dominant shooting guard, Miller is expected to be released essentially meaning the Kings dealt Amare for the notoriously unreliable Oden and cap space.

Big gain for the Blazers. If Jimmer can run the point effectively they're going to be a big threat in the West.

So with the draft in the books for another year our focus switched to the Summer League and a chance to see our young charges play together for the first time. Kyrie Irving, Nolan Smith, Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Enes Kanter all get the call up, along with some scrubs. Apparently having the #1 and #3 picks in the draft on your summer league team generates a lot interest and all our games draw healthy crowds and a cluster of journalists hoping for an insight into how the kids are going to make the NBA transition.

Up first is a meeting with the Kings, who boast former rookie of the year and 3rd year guard Tyreke Evans among their ranks. Kyrie Irving is evidently extremely motivated for his first game in Heat colours though as he stems Evans' offensive flow while adding 14 points and 5 assists of his own. Tiago Splitter takes player of the game courtesy of a 30 point, 10 rebound double double while Enes Kanter adds a healthy 12 points and 6 boards in a dominant 120-82 win.

Cleveland are the next team to be on the wrong end of our rookies, who beat the Cavs 107-83 thanks again primarily to a big night from Tiago Splitter. The Brazilian helps himself to 29 points 5 blocks and 9 rebounds, just missing out on a double double that Enes Kanter only barely gets himself, with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Kawhi Leonard falls just one rebound short of exactly the same output while the guard unit is heavy on assists, Kyrie Irving managing 9 and Nolan Smith just one behind with 8.

A victory over Portland makes it three in a row, Tiago Splitter by now predictably top scoring with 17 points and another 9 rebounds. Kyrie Irving and Kawhi Leonard have 16 points piece as Nolan Smith fires in 15 points from the bench. The unbeaten run is ended abruptly next game out by the Knicks though, Danilo Gallinari and Toney Douglas going bananas to lead them to the win. Five players get into double digits for us but that nobody gets more than Kawhi Leonard's 14 is perhaps from where our downfall stemmed.

Nevertheless we end Summer League on a high with a 104-96 triumph against New Orleans. Kyrie Irving nabs the player of the game award with 21 points and 6 assists, backed up by 15 from Enes Kanter and 8 bench assists from Nolan Smith, who has done himself no harm with some impressive showings in Summer League despite limited minutes.
Alex86

Postby Alex86 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:08 pm

We renounce everybody prior to hitting free agency, Quentin Richardson probably did enough to have his option taken up but having drafted Kawhi Leonard I think we can acquire a better player for the 2nd small forward slot. That leaves us with just Kyrie Irving, Nolan Smith, Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Enes Kanter on the roster and leaves $50m of cap space ready to throw at people. Unfortunately though it’s not a great year for free agents, Kevin Durant highlights those on the market but he’s restricted and unless I get my hands on some compromising photos of Sam Presti before the end of free agency OKC will be matching any offer he takes.

Other than Durant the big prize are Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay, David West, Tony Parker, Jamal Crawford, Marc Gasol, Al Horford and Michael Beasley, with a whole host of decent role players available behind them. We’re looking to address so many needs that it’s hardly worth stating, but primarily we need a shooting guard, veteran experience and leadership pretty much anywhere on the court and if we can upgrade to an All-Star calibre player in any position none of the rookies are untouchable in terms of being benched.

We offer Durant the obligatory max 5 year deal, just as every other team in the league with the requisite cap space does, on the slimmest of slim chances that something unforeseen happens and compile a shortlist of 6 further names, all of whom are also offered terms, at least one of which would be a major capture. And then we wait…

Kevin Durant becomes the first to signal their intent, signing a max 6 year deal in Oklahoma City to the surprise of nobody. Over the next few days the cost of maintaining a winning team becomes abundantly clear as Cleveland throw their full mid-level exception at Delonte West for 2 years, the problem being West’s career year in a surprise season for the entire Cavalier franchise inflated his market value to more than he’s probably worth. On a similar note champions New Orleans pays TJ Ford $.4.4m a year for the next 2 seasons to keep its title winning squad fully in place, despite the guard having played relatively few minutes since they traded for him.

Despite Terrence Williams replacing him in the starting 5 for the last third of the season, the TWolves seem to have second thoughts and pay Corey Brewer a smidgen under $10m over the next 2 years to miss some more open jumpers. On the same day Kelenna Azubuike somehow convinces somebody with power in Milwaukee that his game compiled of exactly 1 dimension is worth 7 times as much in dollars per year, and for four seasons.

The first player to sign in Miami is Grant Hill on a 1 year rental for $3.5m, a signing that sees us take a considerable step toward finding some experienced hands to help the kids through their NBA transitions. That’s followed by a glut of re-signings. Tony Parker back to the Spurs on a $34m/4 year deal, Carl Landry in Sacramento at $37m/4 years, Jermaine O Neal re-signs in Utah for $20 over 3 years and David West stays a Hornet for a mind boggling $66m/6 years, meaning he’ll be earning $13.5m as a 35 year old. Anthony Morrow somehow gets $7m/2 years from Cleveland, further proving the Delonte West hypothesis but the award for worst contract without doubt goes to Otis Smith in Orlando, who deems it reasonable to extend Vince Carter a $9m per annum deal for the next 3 years. That’s an ugly, ugly contract given Vince’s recent form.

Our guard unit gets a boost with Chris Duhon signing on as Kyrie Irving’s understudy. He’s not a flashy pickup but is a real pass-first point guard so fits my ethos and comes on a harmless contract, $5m over the next 2 years, the second of which is a team option. Joining him in our new back court is lock down perimeter defender Shane Battier who I’ve earmarked to start at the 2 guard. Battier’s a high character guy who as well as elite defense can shoot the ball some and fits very much in the vet mould and again agreed to a 2 year deal with a team option that could us up to $8m.

Atlanta and Boston improve their back courts too, with the Celtics writing Jamal Crawford a cheque for $6m smackers a season for the next 3 years, while the Hawks move to fill the gap Crawford left by inking J.R Smith to a 2 year deal at $6m per annum. The Champs also move to strengthen at shooting guard, JJ Redick bringing his dead eye jump shooting to New Orleans for a year at the LLE.

A few of the bigger names then began to make their choices, Al Horford following Jamal Crawford out of Atlanta, signing a 5 year, $50m deal in Washington who might just be ready to gate crash the playoffs with that Wall-Williams-Horford axis. Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph rip the heart out of the Grizzlies roster by signing elsewhere. Gay heads to Golden State at a relatively cheap cost of $47m over the next 5 years, given his ability to score the ball. Randolph on the other hand signs on in Sacramento to form perhaps the league’s most unreliable front court along with Greg Oden. Sensing that the Gay acquisition will cut his minutes Reggie Williams escapes Golden State to add some firepower to the overachieving Cavs on a 5 year, $30m deal.

Raja Bell and Tyrus Thomas join the Miami rebuilding job as bench role players. Bell has a 2 year deal worth $5m that includes a team option and Thomas an $8m, 3 year deal with the same said option. In Heat alumni news Michael Beasley re-signs in Toronto in a deal that nets him $41m over the next 5 years, while Earl Barron will make sure the end of the bench stays weight down in New Jersey next season.

And then the big name we’d been pursuing gives us a considerable boost. He may not be All-Star or a household name, but I genuinely think Marc Gasol is one of the best centres in the NBA today. The big Spaniard will set us back $52m over the next 4 years, but will improve us tenfold, be a great mentor for Kanter and comes off the books just as it’s time to start handing out extensions to our crop of 2011 draftees.

The rest of the deals are relatively minor ones, we sign Antoine Wright and Gani Lawal to stand up and excitedly wave towels around when we score, Shaq heads to Dallas for a career swansong to try and get another ring and the Lakers reload for another shot at the title with Tayshaun Prince for the full MLE over 3 years.

A word though for Memphis, who having seen Zach Randolph and Rudy Gay depart, the Grizz fanbase then watched in horror as GM Chris Wallace handed out some obscenely overpriced contracts. 31 year old Troy Murphy is owed $42m over the next 5 years, his backup Nick Collison meanwhile will throw his $9m over two years into a wheelbarrow and skip elatedly to the end of the bench. Perpetually injured Michael Redd is handed a 2 year, $8.5m deal while Mike Dunleavy will earn just $1m less over the same length of contract. Quentin Richardson cashes in on his solid form in Miami by taking the full MLE from Memphis for 2 years. They’re going to be incredibly bad next season, and not on the cheap either.

We conclude the summer by doing a bit of housekeeping and taking up Tiago Splitter’s 3rd year option. In totally we’re paying out a touch under $39m in salary over the 2011/12 season, the second lowest payroll in the NBA behind the Indiana Pacers. That’s all well and good, but we still need to get to the post-season with that roster or my head will roll.
Alex86

Postby Alex86 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:25 pm

With Tiago Splitter the only surviving roster member from the 2010/11 season it’s clear that having a good training camp is going to be monumentally important for us if the guys are going to hit the ground running. The signs all point to it going well, I’ve got huge faith in the new coaching staff and the roster is packed full with high character, motivated and hardworking players for the most part.

Indeed on the whole Jeff Van Gundy and his assistants were pleased with how their first camp went. The only negatives were that Grant Hill and Raja Bell appear to have lost half a step, but that’s to be expected at the ages of 38 and 34. Fortunately the gradual decline of two role players is vast outweighed by the leaps and bounds made by other roster members given a full camp working under solid developers of talent like JVG and T.R Dunn. All of the rookies made incremental improvements and will go into the season not only understanding the system better, but as slightly improved basketball players. Curiously the largest strides came from 4th year centre Marc Gasol, who had Coach Van Gundy raving about his increased ferocity on the boards and significant gains on defense and shot blocking too

So with a solid camp behind them, this is your 2011/12 Miami Heat -

PG | Kyrie Irving
SG | Shane Battier
SF | Kawhi Leonard
PF | Tiago Splitter
C | Marc Gasol
6th | Enes Kanter
7th | Tyrus Thomas
8th | Grant Hill
9th | Nolan Smith
10th | Raja Bell
11th | Chris Duhon
12th | Gani Lawal
13th | Antoine Wright

Whisper it tentatively, but I kind of like that roster. That front court is monstrous, Splitter and Gasol with Kanter off the bench is going to trouble anybody on their day. I do feel bad for Kanter missing out on a starting role but Gasol was too good an opportunity to pass on, and if Enes is ready a year or so down the line then we have a hell of a trade chip to bring to the table in the big Spaniard. In Irving, Leonard, Splitter, Gasol and Kanter we have a core of 5 guys who at 26 or under we can press forward with for the next 4 or more seasons. The biggest glaring weakness is a lack of go-to wing scoring but I think we might just have enough to sneak into the playoffs.

Unfortunately the press don’t agree, as per the season previews -

East
1. New Jersey Nets (Devin Harris, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, DeMarcus Cousins, Brook Lopez)
2. New York Knicks (Joe Johnson, Danilo Gallinari, Danny Granger, Chris Bosh, David Lee)
3. Milwaukee Bucks (Brandon Jennings, John Salmons, Corey Maggette, Al Harrington, Andrew Bogut)
4. Washington Wizards (John Wall, Gilbert Arenas, Derrick Williams, Andray Blatche, Al Horford
5. Philadelphia 76ers (Louis Williams, Evan Turner, Richard Jefferson, Elton Brand, Kendrick Perkins)
6. Chicago Bulls (Derrick Rose, Kirk Hinrich, Loul Deng, Taj Gibson, Joakim Noah)
7. Boston Celtics (Rajon Rondo, Jamal Crawford, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Josh McRoberts)
8. Orlando Magic (Jameer Nelson, Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis, Drew Gooden, Dwight Howard)

Miami comes in 9th, which would be heart-breaking and probably terminal as far as my job prospects go. The worrying thing is when I try to justify slotting us in at the expense of another team they all seem to have their merits. The glimmer of light comes from the Bucks, who since their break through playoff year under Scott Skiles have struggled to put it together. They haven’t made any significant roster gains in the post-season to a team that failed to secure a top 8 berth, so third is just outright laughable and even the playoffs might be a reach. Hopefully. Washington is also susceptible with a lack of any playoff experience recently and only Gilbert Arenas to turn to in terms of vets. Teams like Orlando and Chicago are also just an injury away from disaster. If Dwight Howard or Derrick Rose were to go down for a significant stretch then both franchises would be in trouble. On the flip side Cleveland who project in 10th has a better, deeper squad than that which yielded a playoff run last season.

All things considered the East has two very good teams and then a glut of talented but flawed rosters. I’ve got enough faith in what we’re doing to back us for a 7th or 8th seed should we manage to avoid injuries or any other minor crises. Quietly confident.

West
1. LA Lakers (Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum)
2. Utah Jazz (Deron Williams, Allen Iverson, Andrei Kirilenko, Carlos Boozer, Mehmet Okur)
3. Sacaramento Kings (Beno Udrih, Tyreke Evans, Al-Farouq Aminu, Zach Randolph, Greg Oden)
4. New Orleans Hornets (Chris Paul, Darren Collison, Marcus Thornton, David West, Emeka Okafor)
5. Golden State Warriors (Stephen Curry, Monta Ellis, Rudy Gay, Derrick Favors, Anthony Randolph)
6. Portland Trailblazers (Jimmer Fredette, Brandon Roy, Nicolas Batum, Marcus Camby, Amare Stoudamire)
7. Dallas Mavericks (Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Caron Butler, Dirk Nowtizki, Brendan Haywood)
8. Denver Nuggets (Chauncey Billups, Eric Bledsoe, Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin, Nene Hilario)

Again it’s hard to argue that these are the strongest 8 teams in the West. The Clippers are making strides and have a strong core going forward but I make them still a year or so away, San Antonio is aging and only getting worse and Houston are so dependent on Yao staying healthy against the odds that it would be foolish to back them. Sacramento are the wild card, but while there's no way they're finishing as 3rd seed above the likes of New Orleans, Denver and Dallas with that roster they're probably good enough to cling on to a low seed.
Alex86

Postby LightningStrike5 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:37 am

Excellent dynasty. Love the team you've built. Thanks for using my draft file! I really should update it.
LightningStrike5

Postby zike_42 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:26 am

I'm loving this dynasty and I think this team could make some noise.

Also, the Knicks and Lakers are massive! Joe Johnson can run the point as well so they will be very dangerous. Good Luck!
zike_42
Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports