High Point University or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Panthers

Postby CoachC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Wayne23 wrote:Fun! But bring the recruits to campus if they'll come, it's a huge selling point. Find an alternate route that will avoid the seedy side of town even if it means 10 extra travel minutes.

There is currently a difference on this point, but personally I agree with Wayne, especially if you have a recruiting assistant worth his salt. If they will come... bring them in. It's your only chance to get a foot in the door with recruits who might normally be over your head. If they don't like the campus visit, most likely you've already lost them before the first contact period anyway.
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby ezpkns34 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:49 pm

[SIZE="1"]October 30, 2011[/SIZE]

Sadly, nothing new to report. Most of the month was spent playing phone tag with Burrough in between practices as we get ready for the season

Only time will tell how successful the phone calls to Burrough were, whereas we'll have an idea of how effective our practices have been this week, as we host NC Central in an exhibition game...
ezpkns34

Postby ezpkns34 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 pm

CoachC wrote:lol! my first thoughts too first time I recruiited out of NC. SC is out of region but Maine isn't?? in the end , didn't make much difference. Instead of competing with the South East Cheaters, I was competing with the Big Least. Was gonna have to deal with the ACC either way.

Yeh, I mean the game still takes into account that SC is closer than Maine in terms of travel expenses, but just always thought it was funny (going back to version 1)

CoachC wrote:There is currently a difference on this point, but personally I agree with Wayne, especially if you have a recruiting assistant worth his salt. If they will come... bring them in. It's your only chance to get a foot in the door with recruits who might normally be over your head. If they don't like the campus visit, most likely you've already lost them before the first contact period anyway.

Personally, I've had success sticking to phone calls & visiting them. I totally agree when it comes to being at a more prestigious school w/ better facilities (or if the player isn't a top 200 or so recruit), but inviting top 100 recruits to my low prestige school w/ bad facilities hasn't been too fruitful for me in my DDSCB2 playing time, so I'll probably just opt with the lower key, safer approach
ezpkns34

Postby ezpkns34 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Picked up a copy of Sports Report's Big South Conference preview on the way to the office today!

They've got us pegged to finish 5th out of 11 teams
ezpkns34

Postby ezpkns34 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:56 pm

[SIZE="5"]Panthers Ground Eagles in Exhibition Game[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Nov 6, 2011
Cam Payne[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Campus Chronicle Sports Editor[/SIZE]

The Good: Our offense
The Bad: Our press
The Ugly: Our half court defense

Central shot 52% from the floor, more assists, more rebounds & managed to score over twice as many 2nd chance, fast break, & paint points yet the Eagles found themselves on the wrong end of the final score in last night's exhibition game. What was the difference that leveled the field for HPU? Free throws. Central went 9/14 from the line while the Panthers connected on 17 of their 19 trips to the charity stripe

Both teams started off red hot from the floor, and neither team really cooled down. The story of the game for the Panthers was to get players minutes, and to that extent, they definitely succeeded. 10 players net at least eleven minutes while SG David Dudley & walk-on C Jordie Watson saw 9 & 7 minutes, respectively. Walk-on PG Jason DePina was the lone player to not get any playing time. However, when the clock hit 3 minutes and the game was still close, there was little doubt left who the coach wanted to see on the court for him as F Jason Pipkins & SG Jamar Jarmond (Player of the Game) were relied on to carry the team to victory, making clutch shots & defensive plays to fend off a game Eagles squad

Jarmond scored 15 points on 7/11 shooting in 25 minutes of action while collecting a pair of steals & rebounds. Pipkins also chipped in 15 points on 4/8 shooting with 4 boards in 20 minutes. PF Lee Beeson had a solid game as well while PG Bobby Dearman was in foul trouble much of the game and struggled to get in the flow in somewhat limited action. C Scott Thomas was definitely the least impressive of the starters. Thomas may not be worried about losing his spot as a starter though since Collison & Watson both struggled as well off the bench

After the game, we asked Coach Reynolds how he thought the game went. He was quick to reply that "It's better to beat a D-II team than lose to them, exhibition or not. We'll make an adjustment or two to the rotation for the Winston [Salem St] game next game and hope for a tighter defensive performance. If they shoot over 50% from the floor too, this team may not leave the gym til we drive up to the App St game"

All told, not a bad game. HPU beat a team we were supposed to beat while spreading out the minutes to help decide who should be in the rotation when the final scores matter

HPU's next game: Nov 10 vs Winston Salem St (exhbition)
ezpkns34

Postby PointGuard » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:47 am

Most top 100 high school players won't even come for a school visit to a very low prestige college, unless they are in-state players (and occasionally an in-region player). But yes, a school visit can turn off a player who you might eventually turn into one who's interested with repeated phone calls.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby jksander » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:54 am

Solid start ... I dig the formatting too, easy on the eyes ;) -- (not just saying that because you patterned parts of it on mine, lol)
Visit my website focused on Indianapolis Punk Rock: http://www.naptownpunk.com
If you want to see a print copy, I can email you PDFs ... drop me a PM!

Go HOOSIERS!
jksander
Elite Member

Postby ezpkns34 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:19 pm

thanks man
ezpkns34

Postby ezpkns34 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Picked up the Sports Report's Big South Conference Preview edition on the way to the office this morning!

They've got us pegged to finish 5th out of 11 teams
ezpkns34

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm

My, my!
Wayne23

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports