High Point University or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Panthers

High Point University or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Panthers

Postby ezpkns34 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 am

[SIZE="1"]April 1, 2011
High Point, North Carolina[/SIZE]

I was born and raised in the small town of High Point. My grandfather moved here for a job shortly after my mom was born. In fact, I went to school literally right down the road from High Point University, I could've walked to it each day after school had I wanted to. However, more often, I used it as a way to get free days off from high school by simply ditching classes for a day & then swinging through High Point's admissions office around 2pm for a write-off as a college visit

I ended up going to NC State after being a 3 sport athlete in high school. However, a torn meniscus coupled with an onset of patellofemoral pain syndrome ended my days as an athlete (unless one counts drunked intramurals). However, I was obviously still an avid sports fan, despite the constant ineptitude of my favorite teams

Upon leaving NC State, I was toying with the idea of how to get a job involved in the sports field in some way. After a few years, I was ready to accept my fate as a future cubicle monkey. But then, I decided to throw a hail mary

I had absolutely no intention of this plan actually working. It was more or less just: hey, why not give it a shot. So, I asked my grandfather if he'd be able to put in a good word for me at High Point University

For you see, upon moving here to NC, my grandfather really took to the local textile industry, so much so that he eventually found himself a local bigwig & even landed a spot on High Point's Board of Directors after making a couple of donations in the way of land along with sending a pair of my mom's sisters to the school. So, I figured, why not see if he can throw his weight around a little and get them to toss me a bone

Sure, he said he'd help me out, but I assumed it to be nothing more than an empty promise. However, a few weeks later, I saw that High Point's coach was fired (not too surprising given their annual mediocrity), but given the circumstances, it was a story that caught my eye. Not long afterward, I got a call from HPU's Athletic Director, asking me if I was free for an interview

He certainly made it clear that it was only an introductory meeting, but I was hoping to make enough of an impression to get my foot in the door, regardless of position. Reflecting upon the interview, I wasn't surprised for it to have focused heavily on basketball due to their coaching search, but I was surprised with how in depth he got with his questions. Maybe he liked what he heard & will name drop me as a potential assistant coach to the new HC?

Shockingly, I get another call from the AD the following week. More basketball talk. He was enamored with my idea of bringing Nolan Richardon's 40 minutes of hell gameplan to the Big South and the kind of excitement such a tactic brings to the students (which surprised me with the school's Methodist leanings...or maybe it shouldn't have surprised me). As every Big South Conference discussion ends, we were both parting ways, wondering why exactly Campbell University was in the conference

I don't know if it's because I agreed about Campbell not belonging in the Big South or if it was my emphasis on a high tempo, high energy, aggressive style of play (or my grandfather's doing), but later that week I was shockingly named High Point's new Head Coach

Initially, I was worried. What if people find out the reason I got the job was b/c of my grandfather? But then reason prevailed and I remembered that, here in the south, nepotism is considered a good, positive, wholesome value int he community. Hooray!

Wait, so I'm the head coach of a Division I basketball team....now what do I do? :eek:

Ehh, I'll worry about that later, for now I'm gonna go smoke a celebratory bowl & check out that big indoor waterfall again
ezpkns34

Postby ezpkns34 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:41 am

[SIZE="4"]Season 1
(2011-12)[/SIZE]

Coach Information
Experience: 0-0 (.000)
Contract: $127,000 / 4 years, trick's on them b/c I would've taken far less
Ambition: Hang Banners
Academics: My players won't be ending the semester under a 2.5, much less under a 2.0
Discipline: Enough to instill the kind of tenacity my constant full court press requires
Temper: If the over/under on number chairs I throw on the court is 0.5, I'd take the under quite comfortably
Integrity: I stole this layout from jksander, so clearly I'm not a total saint
Offense: 30%
Defense: 30%
Recruiting: 45%
Scouting: 45%
Development: 40%
Job Security: Secure

School Information
Name: High Point University
Mascot: Panthers
Arena: Millis Athletic Center (Seats 2,565)
Facilities: C-
Academics: B
Conference: Big South
Conference Prestige: 20%
Team Prestige: 22%
Minimum SAT: 940
Starting Budget: $164,000
Asst. Salaries: $96,000
Remaining Budget: $68,000

Administration Goals
1. Win Conference Tournament
2.1 Win 10+ Games

My Assistants
1st Assistant: Jarrett "Buck" Wilde (36, $41,000 / 1 year) - Recruiting: 60%
2nd Assistant: James Calloway (41, $39,000 / 1 year) - Scouting: 54%
3rd Assistant: Charles York (37, $16,000 / 1 year) - Practice / Development: 25%

Association Setup Notes
Conference movement is turned on. Players will not leave early for the NBA. Illegal recruiting has been turned off. Using Valdarix’s real world mod & added a conference tourney to the Ivy League (hate that they're the only league w/o one)
ezpkns34

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:34 am

Great start!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby ezpkns34 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks Wayne

Originally had a different title & plan for the dynasty, but changed them last second. Didn't feel like tossing together a new backstory though, so I just said screw it :p
ezpkns34

Postby ezpkns34 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Point Guards
Bobby Dearman
Info: 6'3, 205 lbs, SR, 3/3*, Fayetteville, NC

Bryen Freeman
Info: 6'0, 181 lbs, SR, 2.5/3*, Robbinsville, NC

Jason DePina (W)
Info: 6'5, 200 lbs, JR, 1/1*, Newton, NC

Shooting Guards
David Dudley
Info: 6'2, 178 lbs, JR, 2/3.5*, Robersonville, NC

Jordan Robinson
Info: 6'0, 202 lbs, FR, 1.5/4*, Huntersville, NC

Brad Crawford
Info: 6'0, 209 lbs, SO, 2/3.5*, Greenville, NC

Jamar Jarmond
Info: 6'2, 183 lbs, FR, 2.5/2.5*, Southport, NC

Would have written up a quick scouting report or a pros/cons list for each of them, but they're all essentially clones of one another
- All of them are athletic
- All of them weak defenders
- All of them are durable
- All but Freeman are good outside shooters
- All but Robinson can handle the ball at least decently well
- They're all nearly the same size (6'0 - 6'3)
- None of them like to drive

Only things really noteworthy are Freeman & Crawford being team leaders while Jarmond is a gym rat

Small Forwards
Isaac Hicks
Info: 6'8, 232 lbs, SO, 3/4*, Jacksonville, NC

Scouting Report: Jack of all trades, master of none. Best trait is probably his outside shooting while his defensive ability leaves a lot to be desired

Williams Millar
Info: 6'8, 224 lbs, JR, 1.5/3.5*, Asheville, NC

Pros: Great intangibles, Outside Shooting, Potential to be a good defender, Decent Handling
Cons: Still more raw (especially defensively & rebounding) than you'd like for a Junior

Dwayne Oliver
Info: 6'8, 234 lbs, FR, .5/1*, Wilson, NC

Pros: Athletic, Durable, Decent Outside Shooter
Cons: Awful work ethic & attitude, A turnstile defensively, Can't pass, Bad Handling, Can't rebound
Another Pro:Will free up a scholarship for us when we cut him

Power Forwards
Lee Benson
Info: 6'6, 192 lbs, SR, 2.5/4*, Elon, NC

Pros: Good inside game, Draws fouls, Decent defender, Passable rebounder, Athletic, Good work ethic
Cons: Doesn't block shots, Leaves points at the charity stripe, Below average discipline & court intelligence, Needs to bulk up

Jason Pipkins
Info: 6'7, 197 lbs, SO, 3.5/4*, Vanceboro, NC

Scouting Report: Somewhat similar to Hicks in terms of having no real weaknesses while also having no great strengths. However, he is a noticeably better player than Hicks. Is the team's best rebounder but that says more about the team than it does him. His floor is a great glue guy, his ceiling is a solid Big South starter

Centers
Tavorris Collison
Info: 6'10, 233 lbs, SO, 2/4*, Monroe, NC

Pros: Decent post game, Potential to be a pretty good rebounder, Pretty durable
Cons: Bad defender, Can't sink FTs, Awful work ethic

Scott Thomas
Info: 6'9, 258 lbs, FR, 1/3.5*, Louisburg, NC

Scouting Report: If Thomas were a year older, had a lousy work ethic, & were white then he'd be Tavorris Collison

Jordie Watson (W)
Info: 6'10, 272 lbs, FR, 1/1*, Rocky Point, NC

Scouting Report: For a walk-on big man at a low major school, he's not too bad. The only thing separating him from our other 2 centers is his lack of upside (pretty big difference, but it means we have an insurance policy inside in case of injury)

That's the team. A half dozen cloned guards with some decent forwards & 3 more center clones

My preliminary inclinations for the starting lineup:
PG: Dearman
SG: Jarmond
SF: Pipkins
PF: Beeson
C: Thomas

I intend to spread out playing time with a deep bench early on as I try to better gauge the players & how they fit in my system and then adjust the minutes allocation from there

Speaking of my system:
- I want to run a 1-2-2 full court press all game
- We'll be running the motion offense with a little triangle mixed in
- We won't be running much in the way of set plays at the start of the seaon
- Hopefully the number of set plays can increase as the season progresses
- We'll be defending mostly via zone (2-3 against teams with inside threats, 1-3-1 against everyone else)

The rest of the strategy (tempo, intensity, rebounding vs fast break, offensive focus, etc) will change according to the matchup
ezpkns34

Postby ezpkns34 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Ok Buck, the season opener is less than 5 months away, we've got a lot of travel & phone calls with teenagers on our plate in that time

Coach, what's our gameplan with recruiting this summer? Also, can you please stop calling me Buck?

Not until you change your last name, Coach Wilde. As for recruiting, here's what I've got in mind...We'll start with this recruiting report I bought from a door to door salesman. I admit, I'm a little skeptical about any report that doesn't list NC as part of the southeast region, but what the hell, I put it on the university's credit card

I see. Well, what about the summer camps? Want me to book us a few tickets to 1 or 2 of them?

Not this summer, Buck, and let me tell you why.We're going to go with a moneyball approach to recruiting

So we're targeting players with high on base percentages?

Buck, you ignorant slut! You're confusing moneyball with sabrmetrics. Sabrmetrics uses on base percentage & other stats to measure & place value on player peformance. Moneyball is simply about finding market inefficiencies and taking advantage of them

Did you just call me a slut?

Not now, Buck. The most glaring market inefficiency that a small school like ours can take advantage of is JuCo players. The bigger schools target the HS recruits who get showcased in all the summer camps & backed by the AAU syndicate. If we try to compete with the power conferences for those kids, we'll come up empty handed every time

Oh, but if we go after a junior college player who is getting less attention from those big schools, we've got a better chance to land one?

Exactly! But, we can't just target all the JuCo players, we have to target the right ones

And who would those be?

Guys who:
1) Live in or close to NC that don't want to venture too far away from home
2) Value playing time
3) Value academics

Well, that really doesn't narrow it down a whole lot, since we'd still have to contact the players to find out their stance on PT & academics

You're right, Buck. But, I plan on keeping our shortlist of such players to only those ranked in the nation's top 150

Now our list looks too small, coach. There's only 7 players that fit that criteria

I see. Well, I suppose we can expand it to the top 200 since that would double our shortlist. And of course, we'll keep in contact with the better recruits that have expressed interest in playing here as a safety net should we come up empty on the JuCo targets

So we aren't focusing on any positions in particular for our 4 scholarships?

Ideally, we'd land a PG, a pair of swing men & a big but I mostly just want to land as many good players as I can with those scholarships. We'll figure out the positions/lineups afterward. Even if we can't land 4 players on our shortlist, we can potentially use any leftover scholarships on transfers next spring

Sounds like a plan, coach

Oh, and Buck?

Yes sir?

Don't make any plans to host the recruits

What? Why's that?

Well, we have some pretty shoddy facilities here on campus. And yeh, the campus is nice, but the surrounding areas around campus are the ghetto. I just think having recruits visit may do more harm than good. Instead we'll make sure to scout their games live & visit them a little more often

But, I live close to campus, coach

Yes, Buck. Yes, you do....
ezpkns34

Postby bloomington » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:59 pm

really well written!
bloomington

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Fun! But bring the recruits to campus if they'll come, it's a huge selling point. Find an alternate route that will avoid the seedy side of town even if it means 10 extra travel minutes.

And don't forget, you have a shot at Jucos from anywhere in the region, and sometimes even the whole country. And they don't need to hit an SAT score.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 pm

"Maybe if MY granddaddy owned a couple big mills, I could live in a nice part of town too."

"Buck, would you rather be 3rd assistant than 1st assistant?"
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby ezpkns34 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:01 pm

bloomington wrote:really well written!

Thanks man

Wayne23 wrote:Fun! But bring the recruits to campus if they'll come, it's a huge selling point. Find an alternate route that will avoid the seedy side of town even if it means 10 extra travel minutes.

And don't forget, you have a shot at Jucos from anywhere in the region, and sometimes even the whole country. And they don't need to hit an SAT score.

Every time I've hosted a good recruit while at a smaller school, it soured the recruit on my team, so I've just given up on them altogether assuming the problem is that the smaller schools have bad facilities

And yeh, not having to worry about SAT scores is always a bonus. Low JuCo GPA doesn't bother me since I'll have all next summer to get them up to 3.0

PointGuard wrote:"Maybe if MY granddaddy owned a couple big mills, I could live in a nice part of town too."

"Buck, would you rather be 3rd assistant than 1st assistant?"

Haha, that would've been better

In all honesty, if I was making 6 figures at HPU, I'd be living in one of the mega houses in the middle of nowhere and complaining about the 45 minute drives to & from campus each day :p
ezpkns34

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports