Upstate Redo

Upstate Redo

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Because of the fix I've decided to stop the Upstate Up and Up Dynasty and start over again giving Frank the kind of ratings I wish I could have given him originally:

Offense: 20
Defense: 25
Recruit: 35
Scout: 35
Player Development: 30

There will be a lot of cut and paste of the start up material and the material about his alternate universe (much of which will get in here more quickly). Frank won't do as well as he did last time but that's probably as it should be.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Intro

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 pm

(Cutting edge physicists now support ideas that once dwelt only in the realm of science fiction. One of these ideas is that of alternate universes. Many physicists now posit the notion of alternate universes, numbering … well, perhaps numberless. Some of these would be completely alien to anything we could even imagine. Some would be quite similar to our own, differing only in a few ways.)

(This Dynasty occurs in one of those alternate universes. Rather than laying it all out for the reader I will let it emerge through the voice of Coach Frank Bailey of the University of South Carolina Upstate.)

Howdy, name’s Frank Bailey. I bin told ta write this like the guy readin’ it was… simple minded, I guess ya’d call it, or mebbe from another planet. Anyways, I’m s’posed ta go inta all kindsa DEtails about stuff anybody what got half a brain already nos. Okay, I kin do that.

I bin here in Spartansburg all mah life. Borned, raised, schooled. I grew up ta be a perty solid guy, physic’ly, 6’6”, 240 lbs. I was never whatcha call quick, but I was perty hard ta move.

I played Center in high school, cuz a my height, but when I got ta South Carolina Upstate Coach Jeb Stuart Lee turned me inta a Power Forward, witch was much better, really.

I couldn’t guard no speed demons, so when we played teams that was real quick we went 2-3 and I got the strong side. Resta the time we played man.

On offense I wasn’t that much of a scorer (10.7 my Senior year though), but I could set one heckuva pick, I was a good passer, and I got as many rebounds as are center (8.2 my Senior year). I got them rebounds by bodyin’ out the other guy, not by out jumpin’ him.

We won arr conf’rence tourney my Senior year, the first and only time EVER, and I got the defensive rebound with 15 seconds left and outletted ta are Point. He sent it up ta are SG who missed, but I got the offensive RB, slid it ta are Center and he layed it in at the buzzer. We won by one point. Biggest thrill a my life and I made the all tourney team, witch was the second biggest thrill.

Anyways, I like the game and I was real int’rested in coaching. Coach Stuart taught a “Principles of Basketball Coaching” course ev’ry fall semester. I took it Junior year and audited it Senior year. At the end a Senior year Coach said if I got inta the Masters program in P.E. he could use me as a unpaid assistent. I jumped at that.

I finished the degree. The year after, his assistant, there was on’y one paid assistant in them days, quit fer a head job- I mean a head COACHIN’ job, and Coach made me the paid assistant. Old Coach really was gettin’ old afore his time.

I stayed two years and then, at the end of last year he retired, recommended me for the head job- I mean the Head COACHIN’ job, and here I am, 26 years old an’ a Division I Head Coach.

Tell ya the truth nobody wanted the job. After I graduated we went 11-18, 7-21, then 3-25 last year. Honest now, Coach had lost it. I tried ta help, and ta bail him out, but I think he had Alzhim- Alshiem- I think he was senile, and he wouldn’t listen. I KNOW I coulda won at least half are games with the players we had. An' ta tell the truth some a them players is still hear an' I INTEND ta win with 'em now!

So now its up ta me ta do it or die tryin’. They’s been some mighty big changes though, which I’ll tell ya about.

First, I guess I gotta tell ya how things works here. We got countries and alla that but nobody, and I mean nobody goes hungry, lives anyplace where they ain’t got at least a roof over there head, and everybody gets good medical care- we cain’t work miracles but we kin fix ya up perty good most a the time; people live about 120 years and they do perty good untell the last few months. If ya tear a ACL or brake a bone it’ll still take a long time ta heal.

We got politics but I don’t pay no ‘tenshun ta that. Achu’lly, I don’t pay no attention ta anythin’ ‘cept hoops!

We use money but everybody has the minimum to live ok- not grate, but ok. Ya want more then that ya work fer it. Most folks does. We don’t care or much talk about where yer from, what color ya are, how ya believe the world works or anythin’ like that.

We ain’t got much crime and almost no vi’lent crime, and there ain’t been a war in more’n 100 years. We live in the year 21 cuz we started a new way a figgerin’ stuff 21 years ago. Don’t mean nuthin’ really.

Back ta hoops, ‘cept the next part is more’n hoops. They’s a new thing fer gettin’ people from place ta place. It started mebbe three year ago or so.

Ev’ry town, ev’ry college, ev’ry good size buisness has this thing. Ya go inta a room, anywheres from 1 ta 100 people, 100’s the most.

Ya sit in a chair. Ya punch in where ya wanna go ta- y’all gotta go ta the same place, acourse. They check ta see that the place has one a these hear rooms an’ that its not bein’ used at the time. If it ain’t bein’ used the room yore in an’ the room yore goin’ ta gets locked; if it is ya wait, but not long.

Then ya sit real still, an’ in maybe 3-5 seconds a beep sounds an’ ya get outta the chair and yore where ya wanna go, right in the exac’ same kinda room but it ain’t the room ya started in, its the room at the place ya wanted ta go. Hope ya get that cuz I KNOW it works and I just confused muhself.

Don’t axe me HOW it works cuz I don’t have no idea, but it does work. If ya move a little it ain’t no problem but they say try not ta, and definitely don’t sneeze or burp or fart or nothin’ like that cuz bad things could happen, but I never heard if they ever did.

So like I take muh team an’ coaches, an’ players an’ cheerleaders, an’ team trainers, an’ whoever, my dumbass A. D. Tank Hopkins if he wants ta go which he usually don’t, up ta 100 people, and it usually IS 100, an’ we get ta the school we’re playin’, wearin’ are uniforms, an’ we get ta the gym, do are pregame shoot aroun’ (We already done warm ups an’ stuff at home), play the game, do any postgame interview stuff, an’ git in the room an’ come back.

'Cept at tourneys of all kinds ya stay from start untell finish or untell ya get eliminated, ta help publicize the tourney fer the folks runnin’ it. So then ya gotta get a hotel an’ eat there an’ that but its still cheap sense travelin’ didn’t cost nuthin’ er next tas nuthin’.

People from Spartansburg can buy tickets ta the game at the other school if there available, an’ we’ll send ‘em over, 100 at the time, from are transpertation room at Upstate. If the press wanna go, they kin use there own dang room; if ya didn’t geuss I ain’t no fan a the press.

Fer tourneys, they give a % a the tickets ta the city where its held an’ split the rest up equal among the teams. If your team loses in a early round ya kin sell later round tickets back if they got customers from the winnin’ teams that wants ‘em an’ if the home town don’t sell all there tickets the teams get a shot at them to.

Like I said I got no idea how it works but they say it uses atoms or somethin’, and its so cheap that once you buy the room, which AIN’T cheap(!) don’t nobody charges for somethin’ like this ‘cept if yore like goin’ on vacation somewheres an’ then it ain’t that expensive.

Before that we had robot op’rated trains an’ trolleys an’ still do fer local travellin’. The robot checks an’ kin tell if theres any mechanicle difficulties an’ stuff, or if theres a problem with the tracks an’ whatever, so theres almost zero danger.

Fer trips over water theres boats that run the same way but now they don’t do much buisness.

People talked about air travel fer a long time but it never happened. Now it never will unless people wanna go out in space or somethin’ like that, witch some people are talkin’ about but not me, unless theres a tourney out there, then maybe, pro’lly I’d go.

Anyways, what with this new transpertation thing the NCAA scrapped all the conferences an’ went with somethin’ they call Promotion/Relegation (I usually screw up and write regulation but that ain’t it).

They’s 22 conf’rences, Conf. A to Conf. V, each one got 16 teams an’ there from all over hell an’ gone cuz transportation don’t cost hardly nuthin, so a conf’rence kin have a team in Maine an’ one in Californya or even Hawaii, its s’posed ta be that all 16 is about as good as one another, you know, balanced an’ all. The best teams is in A an’ the worst in V.

If ya finish in the top 3 or win the conference tourney ya move up (3 teams total) start a the next year, an’ the worst 3 move down. I think its 3, but its pretty new, mite be 4. Ya kin move up er down ev’ry year.

Theeret- thearet- one way or another you could maybe go all the way from V ta A in time, and a V team could win the national title but come on, that ain’t ever gonna happen- the second one I mean. Maybe a C or even a D once in a blew moon, but lower’n that? Not likley!

Okay, you get the idea, let me tell the rest as I talk about the Spartans, that’s us, Upstate. Oh, we’re in V. I guess we earned it when ya look at are record the last 3 years, but I plan ta move us outta V this year!

Oh, ta show there faith in me they give me a 2 year contract. I fought like heck fer 3 but that ring tailed baboon Tank Bailey wouldn’t listen. Don’t think he kin. Don’t think he’d know how. Tell ya all ‘bout him as we go, not that I wanna.
Wayne23

1st season begins

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:27 pm

5/1: First day on the job. I permote the #2, Kieth Spurgeon ta #1 an’ make him my recruiter, an’ the #3, Mike Roggers ta #2, an’ make him my practice coach. I worked with Kieth an’ Mike when I was #1 an’ I like both of ‘em.

They ain’t the worlds best but on are budget there better’n I could get anywhere else an’ I’m gladta have ‘em. Then I hire a new #3, Starz Chatman ta scout fer us. I think he’s gonna be real good. I kin on’y talk him inta one year though.

So I got a staff fer cheap. I git the Southeast Gold scoutin’ report an’ the national basic, an’ I still got $44,000.

The one thing I really wanna do is git butts in seats, like they say. That pays the bills an’ that kin get me a budget increase, hopefully ev’ry year er at least other year. Never be able ta hire real good coaches until we get $.

I ain’t gonna get rich but I don’t care. Like I said all I care about is hoops. I live in a crappy little apartment but I sleep in the office most a the time. Get home every 2-3 days mebbe, sometimes less. I got a shower hear, couch, fridge an’ air conditionin’, witch I ain’t got at the apartment.

I don’t spend money ‘cept fer food an’ sneakers, an’ other close when I got no choice in the matter. I got 3 jackets fer games an’ stuff, 3 white shirts, 3 ties, an’ 4 pairs a pants fer the same. Outside a that, just shorts an’ tee shirts an’ stuff like that. I got one winter coat an’ gloves fer when we travel North. I like the heat down here though.

I got 4 scholarships ta fill with mah $44,000, but I mite jest switch a guy ‘er 2 ta academic er hardship scholerships if I get recruits what wants ta come here witch pro’lly ain’t real likely. I’m goin’ mostly fer Jucos cuz they’ll come here, some of ‘em anyways. The high school Seniors who come here wouldn’t be worth what the cow left in the field.

I gotta say bein' the head coach is pretty fun. They's a bazillion things ta do all the time but that's ok. I'm kinda org’nized so I get 'em done, sooner er later.

6/25: Fergot ta mention that nitwit Tank Hopkins set one goal fer the year, win the conf’rence tourney. That jist shows what a idjit he is. Win the reg’lar season mebbe, although that’s mebbe to hard fer us, given where we bin the last few years, but the tourney kin be a crap shoot, it ain’t somethin’ ya kin plan fer or work tords or anythin’ like that.

Tell ya the truth a good goal woulda bin ta win 12 games. Don’t know if we kin do that but at least it’s somethin’ that makes since.

Not wastin’ no money goin’ ta camps. The kindsa guys we’re goin’ after wouldn’t be goin’ ta any of ‘em.

I ast Tank ta try ta get us a balanced schedule. If ya start that way ya don’t get a year when most games are at home an’ then the next one yer on the road all the time. Prob’ly shouldn’ta done that. Now Tank’ll get me all road or all home games jest ta mess us up.

Ok, ok, so why do I hate Tank so much? Easy. Remember, I bin here like, well this is my 8th year here as a student an’ then as a assistent coach untell now.

Tank’s bin A. D. here fer like a hunerd years, well, 15 er 20 achu’lly. He’s a football guy. He played offensive tackle here an’ all he cares ‘bout is football. Spends mosta the department’s $ on football, spends mosta his time on football.

Don’t care ‘bout hoops, don’t support hoops. Are facilities suck. When ya bring a recruit in ya keep him outta the locker room. It smells bad- worse then Tank, and it’s way to crowded. Football’s got the best, ev’ry other sports got the rest. So thats what I’m fightin’, an’ he don’t lissen. Sometimes I think he played without a helmet.
Wayne23

Early season stuff, camps, recruitin'

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:19 pm

6/25: “Bobby Brandon, WSCU campus radio, here with new Spartans head coach Frask Bailey. Coach Bailey, what can we expect from the Spartans this year?”

“Well, Bobby, I kin tell ya yer gonna see a team what outhustles ev’rybody we play.”

“Sounds fun, Coach-”

“Yep, we’re GONNA be fun. Hope all the students here at Upstate comes out an’ supports us. We’ll give ya yer moneys worth.”

“Any predictions about where you’ll finish?”

“Nope, I ain’t getting’ inta that. I got on’y one perdiction: We’ll win more’n we won last year er the year afore that.”

“So last year was three and the year before seven, I believe. You’re predicting eight wins, Coach?”

“Heck NO! I’m perdictin’ a absolute MINIMUM a 8 wins. Got my mind set on more’n that but that’s as fer as I’ll go fer now. But remember, Bobby, it’s gonna be about how much fun we is ta watch this year. We’re gonna be scrappy an’ lively an’ right up in the other guys shorts.”

“Thanks Coach.”

“Come out an’ see us, kids, season’ll be here afore ya know it.”

6/26: Recruitin’ starts. I don’t wanna spend too much early. Some a the guys we’ll have a good shot at might commit late. Gotta spend some though. I need gaurds more’n bigs but I need a little a ev’rythin’.

Lookin’ at 14 guys, 13 are Jucos. 7 PGs, 2 SGs, 1 SF, 2 PFs, 2 Cs. Pro’lly noe enuff bigs but we kin add later. Ain’t gonna host nobody. With are facilitys we’re better off not. Spend are jack on visits an’ scoutin’. 'spect lots a negativity at first but we’ll stick with ‘em. I think people is mah strength so I kin sweet talk some of ‘em.

7/4: Sloggin’ through the recruitin’ process. We ain’t ezactly the school that makes these here recrutis haerats go pitty pat. Its my job to make ‘em b’lieve things is on the way up here. Sense I totally b’lieve that, I kin at least be sincere about it. Man, getting’ nuthin’ but no from the kids we’re talkin’ to. Oh well, keep workin’ ‘em.

7/11: We run two weeks a kid camps. We have the kids stay in dorms even though we could ship ‘em in and out with that room travel thing. They love bein’ in the dorms with real college basketball players as dorm monitors. We run a good camp, givin’ kids the best experience we can.

We don’t sell out either week and we only get mostly kids from the Spartansburg area, kids goin’ into the 7th threw 12th grade, but it allows me ta give my players two weeks pay, all legal and all, and it lets me see what the new guys look like and weather the guys comin’ back been doing’ there work and stayin’ in shape- I called ever single one of ‘em when I got the job but even afore that, when last season ended I give ‘em all notebooks a stuff ta work on an’ conditionin’ stuff to. Hoped ta git the job then an’ figgered I’d be back as #1 assistant if I didn’t.

Anyways if we kin build the program some we’ll get actual prospects ta come ta camp but that’ll prob’ly take a couple years. Anyways, fer now it’s about my players and my getting’ a chance to see ‘em and work with ‘em, so it’s good. Any small profit we make I split between my 3 underpaid assistants. I don’t need the $ or care about it, like I said.

7/25: Camps was good. Kinda like what I saw from my guys. I think this’ll be a good group ta work with. They know me, and I think they like me. The vets worked with me last year and I did a lot of recruitin’ sense Coach Lee was in la-la land mosta the time.

I think my 5, Len Berg is my best player. I ain’t unhappy with any a the other guys I think’ll start an’ a Soph PG, Josh Anders looks a lot better’n he did last year. I’ll be watchin’ him come the start a practice. My 1 an’ 2, Wills an’ Rowe look like there gonna be at least ok. Tell ya what, its on’y based on 2 weeks but I think WE'RE gonna be ok, an’ I think I’m gonna fulfil my perdiction an’ get outta V conf. right this year.

Ev’rybodys grades is ok, nobody needed summer school though I have alla my guys take 2 courses ev’ry summer, startin’ the summer afore they git here as freshmens. That means they don’t never hafta take 5 classes in a semester witch is way to much when yer playin’ hoops.

7/31: Man, more’n a month in an’ we got zackly 2 guys bearly nibblin’. Gettin’ jest a teeny bit nervous ‘bout recruitin’. Still its early.

8/14: Getting’ later an’ still on’y 3 with any int’rest atall an’ none a them is much ta holler about. Next week we see if anybodys really int’rested.
Wayne23

Workin' hard

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:51 am

8/21: Don’t know if’n I said it yet but I was borned in Spartansburg and I aim ta die in Spartansburg. Anywheres along the line anybody offers me a job coachin’ somewheres else the answer is, thank ya kindly but no. I’m stayin’ right here no matter what, long as they’ll have me. Nuthin’ can take me away, not fame nor glory nor money nor nuthin’ else.

Nobody’s even a little int’rested but we’ll offer ta a few anyways. Got a feelin’ we’ll git are recruits in the Spring so I’m savin’ $, all I kin.

8/28: one a the 4 we offered ta, Myron Logan, #42 PG, took my call an’ he’s a little int’rested. It’s a start!

9/4: Next week recruitin’ gets SERIOUS!

Lots I ain’t talked ‘bout yet. I’m livin’ in a 2 room efficiency apartment jest off campus like I sorta said. It’s close enough ta walk ta my office, which I do when I achu’lly get home. Its got a kitchen/dining/living room an’ a bedroom.

I got a new TV cuz I need it ta watch or record games. Me an’ the whole staff, specially the scoutin’ coach, watches all the games we kin, an’ we keep the disks, carefully labeled an’ cataloged.

They tell us about teams in are conf’rence but as many other teams as possible, what they like ta do, what there good at, what they cain’t do, tendancies late in a close game, stragedies, coachin’ tendencies an’ on an’ on.

We got spreadsheets with all the info, available ta me an’ the staff, an’ we add to it all the time. Got the same TV an’ recording stuff at the office, to, so I kin watch at both places. Course we watch disks of are games all the time to- last year’s games right now, but it will be this years soon as we have any, startin’ with exhibitions in Nov.

“So Bailey, ya gonna bring in any recruits at all?”

“Whats that s’posed ta mean, Tank?”

“It means what it means. Don’t look like nobody wants ta play fer ya.”

“Mebbe if the gym wasn’t such a dump that’d help. Mebbe if the place didn’t smell like a sewer that’d help.”

“Excuses is easy but they don’t get it done.”

“Tell ya what, Tank, how ‘bout you do your job an’ I’ll do mine an’ we talk about how many recruits I got at the end a April, not before nobody’s committed anywhere in the country.”

Stupid bum never does nuthin’ but complain an’ put people down. What a idjit.

9/11: Okay, we’ll spend a little $ on home visits. Gotta be done. We visit four, hopin’ ta genarate some int’rest. We’ll see.

Never mentioned it but I’m big on academics, sorta big on discipline but not a fanatic, extremely big on intregrity. I expect a lot from my kids so I gotta model it. They won’t find me doin’ things I shouldn’t be doin’. I don’t do drugs, don’t smoke, never have more then one beer an’ not too often even one, no other drinkin’ at all.

I’m real ambitious, but fer Upstate, not just fer me. It’s all about Upstate. My temper stays mostly under control, but sometimes, like with Tank an’ with refs… I yell at kids but they know I love ‘em and I’m on there side.

9/18: Nobody said yes nor no but 2 PGs is defin’ly int’rested witch is good sense we need gaurds bad.

We got a schedule. It wasn’t easy. I told Blank- I mean Tank we wanted balance. I gotta admit he gave us that, 6 home 5 away in the preconf.

Acourse we got 5 straight at home, than 4 on the road, but hey. I also told him go easy. I want one top 25 team. We’ll get a butt whuppin. But it’ll show us what a top team is like, and that can help in the long run.

I want easy teams at home, REAL easy teams on the road, but we’re the bottom a the heap so every other conference is prob’ly full a teams which is better than us. Anyways, he done what he could, just about all 1 star teams ‘cept fer ODU at home, 2 stars, an’ Minnesota on the road witch is 3 ½ stars, not ranked but as close as Tank could git, he sez.

“Hey, I tried. Don’t nobody better wanta play ya.”

“I ‘preciate it, Tank, really. I know it weren’t easy and ya done good. I like the schedule. Next year we’ll be ready fer some tougher teams, an’ I’m hopin’ we kin get ‘em but this year we’re shaky so I want wins. I oughta be able ta get my share with this schedule. Thanks again.”

I meant it. Tank did way better then I thought he would- er could fer that matter!

9/25: The 2 PGs is still real int’rested but they didn’t commit.

10/2: Last day of the first push for recruitin’. The 2 PGs commit! Mike Logan #36 looks real good, an’ Tim Joyner #55 looks good to. I’m offerin’ ta Joe Cue, #40 PF. He’s alluva sudden int’rested an’ he could he’p us.

Offerin’ ta Jed Earl #41 C, but that’s a shot inna dark. I add some guys ta the pool.

First day a practice, at last! Excited to see what we got. What we got is a lot, for a V conf. team. We got two 3 star players, three 2 1/2 stars an’ a coupla others I think is better then they looks. I got at least 4, mebbe 5 gaurds whats ok, an’ mebbe 4 bigs. A lotta guys with 7, 8, 9 fer athleticism, witch is real good.

I’m optomystic an’ I think we’ll be hard ta beat in V.

We’re picked ta finish 10nd in conf., witch I like. We’ll sneak up on people, least I hope we will.

10/9: Joe Cue got us as #1 but he ain’t committed. Earl ain’t int’rested- yet!

10/16: Joe Cue commits so I got 3 guys. Tank ain’t said congats er nuthin’. Why ain’t I supprized!

Cain’t git much of a nibble on nobody else. Lance Regis, from in state is a little int’rested. I’m followin’ up with him but I ain’t offerin’ yet. No more offers ‘til the final ratings change.

10/23: Still workin’ them recruits. Practice is goin’ good. We’ll play mostly man but some 2-3, an’ on O its shuffle an’ 5 out.

We’re workin’ the press. Full court man looks good. 1-2-2 ain’t ready, an’ we’ll on’y use it when we’re despirite, least it looks like that. Guys is learnin’ the resta the system real good though.

Top 25 come out taday but that ain’t got nuthin’ ta do with us!
Wayne23

Gettin' ready, exibbishuns an' decisions

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:57 am

11/1: First exibbishun is against Kennesaw State. 40-32 at the half. 83-69. Good start! +2, +15 (on’y 2 TOs!), 47-46%. Fouls was 13-10.

Startin’ 5 looked good ‘cept Rowe done nuthin’. I ‘spec’ more from him in the 2nd exibbishun. Subs- Anders, Cain, Fisher, Scott, Fay, Gates all looked perty good.

“Bobby Brandon here for WSCU campus Radio. I’m with Coach Frank Bailey here after the first exhibition game of the season. Remember students, WSCU will be broadcasting all of the Spartans games this season, home and away. Coach, congratulations on the win.”

“Thanks Bobby. Even though it don’t mean nuthin’ its grate ta win.”

“What did you see that you liked, Coach?”

“Well I liked Len Berg a lot. He held his own aginst a perty tough Center. I like dthat Tec Wills didn’t get no turnovers. I really liked how deep we was. Practic’ly er’body on the bench did somethin’.”

“What didn’t you like?”

“Well I didn’t like that we let ‘em shoot 46%. That’s too high. I didn’t think we got enuff rebounds outta the 3 an’ 4 spots.”

“What does the future hold, Coach?”

“Well we got another exibbishun then we start playin’ fer real.”

“That’s what I’m asking, Coach. How do you think your guys will do?”

“I think we’ll do ok. I’m perdictin’ that when I put my balls away at the end a the season we’ll have won more’n we lost.”

“That hasn’t happened since you were a Senior Power Forward for the Spartans.”

“Thas right, but I think it needs ta start happenion’ agin, an’ right now!”

“Thank you, Coach Bailey.”

11/6: Are 3 recruits wind up like this: Myron Logan, the Pg, is #33, up 3 spots, Joe Cue, the PF, is #35, up 5 spots, an’ Tim Joyner, the other PG is at #57, down 2 spots. We’re still thinkin’ on that 4th scholarship.

2nd exibbishun is tonight against Kennesaw State. 35-37 at the half. We come on late ta win 76-72. +10, -6 (13 TOs), 51-48%. Fouls was 12-11.

Berg an’ Wills was the best starters, Anders, Fisher an’ Gates mighta bin my best, all from the bench. Might change the lineup. The staff’ll talk.

11/7: Time fer decisions. The staff met fer like halfa day.

Wills’ll def’inly start, an’ Berg. Anders at 2 fer Adams, Rowe at 3, as much fer his D as anythin’ else.

So it’s the 4 spot. Gonna start Jim Scott but give Gates lots a playin’ time to an' see what happins. Adams’ll get his share a time, an’ after that its Cain, Fay, Cole, an’ mebbe Fisher. Kell an’ King pro’lly won’t git much time atall.
Wayne23

A great start

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm

11/13: First up is Loyola-Marymoiunt from up in P. Hard ta know anythin’ at this stage. If there better’n us it ain’t by much. We’ll see. I think if we kin control there C we’ll be okay.

Tell the truth its excitin’. I never bin a head coach anywhere so this is sumthin’! Now, the new named J. S. Lee Center (Hey, he coached here a long time and he was perty good ‘fore his brain turned ta mush.) sits 1,535.

So we got us a high school gym perty much. We were getting about 300-400 at games last year. We bin tryin’ ta get the word out that this here is a new beginnin’ and folks should come on out and give us a look see. Hope it works, a good crowd’d be right nice fer my guys.

Gotta say that the kids bin workin’ there butts off. I started pushin’ real hard early on. Ya win er lose close games dependin’ on if ya got the legs in the last coupla minutes. Last couple years we didn’t. This year we dang well WILL. Guys didn’t like it at first, they was worn ta a stub, but oncet they got in shape it got easier ta take the pushin’, and they seen that they was better at the end. The shots was getting’ ta the hoop ‘steada comin’ up short cuz there legs was gone. That showed up in the 2nd exhibition.

So anyways, I like my team. I’ll do a lotta quick subbin’ ta keep fresh legs in the game, I think even if that means ya got inferior guys in there sometimes, it keeps yer best guys fresh; that makes a difference, or it kin. Here we go!

11/15: Got so nervous before the game I had ta take a quick dump. Almost missed the Anthem. Down here we’d rather play “Dixie” an’ sometimes we do but that’s another story.

Up 3, 17:22. Up 7, 10:21. Backcourt an’ Len Berg at C lookin’ real good so far. #2 on Anders, 8:22. I had a guy at the scorer’s table comin’ in fer him but to late, dang it. Up 11. 37-25 at the half. Lovin’ it, great D, decent O!

-5, -2, 51-30%. Fouls is 5-5.

7, 3 fer Anders afore he sat, 6 each fer Berg, Gates an’ Wills. We need ta go ta the boards but ev’rythin’ else is perty good.

#3 on Anders, 14:51, up 17. #4 on Anders, 9:28, up 24. It’s all workin’ ‘cept fer Anders foulin’. Up 23, 2:26. 73-53 at the end.

-2, +2, 48-33%. Fouls was 9-15. We rebounded better in the second.
15, 3, 3, 1, 1 fer Wills at the Point, 15, 4, 1 fer Berg at C, 14, 5, 2, 2 blocks fer Anders in on’y 22 min., 11, 4 fer Gates from the bench an’ he’ll pro’lly start at 4 next game fer Scott, who weren’t bad. Rowles had on’y 3 an’ 6 but he held his man real good. Adams had 6, 6, 3 from the bench. I thought it was a real good start an’ it shore feels grate ta win!

Coaches decide ta go with Gates at 4, like I thought but Scott’ll git his minutes.

Attendance was 588. Not great but better than last year. If we keep winnin’ folks’ll show up.

Delaware, 0-1, Conf. P, is in. There 2 got 31 in the 1st game so we’ll hafta stop him. Otherwise they didn’t look that good but they played a good team.

11/18: Up 6, 13:12. Up 15, 6:21. 33-21 at the half. Great 1st half. There 2 is goin’ off but we’re stoppin’; ev’rybody else.

-5, +1, 44-33%. Fouls is 5-4.

7, 6 fer Berg, 9, 2, 4 fer Anders, 4, 4 fer Scott, 7, 2, 2 fer Gates, 5, 3 fer Rowles.

Up 8, 15:33. Up 3, 6:55. Up 1, 2:22. Goin’ O/D when I kin. Back an’ forth, nobody scorin’, They hit a 3, :17.

We try ta git it ta Berg but he’s doubled, Anders hits a 2 at the buzzer, OT. Dang, my 2nd game as Head Coach an’ I’m in OT!

Up 5, 3:22. Up 9, 2:03. We take the air out an’ play good D. 88-82 at the end. Great win!!!

-3, +6, 37-37%. Fouls was 12-16.

20, 14, 1, 1 fer Berg, 17, 3, 6, 3, 1 fer Anders, 10, 10 fer Rowe, 13, 5, 3 fer Gates, 10, 3, 5, 1, 1 fer Wills, 9, 9 fer Scott, 7, 2, 1, 1 fer Adams, an’ it took ALL of ‘em ta win this one.

Delawares 2 got 34, an’ it was almost enuff!

“Bobby Brandon here with Coach Bailey after this exciting game. What do you have to say, Coach?”

“I rather be lucky then good!”

“How did you manage to win this one?”

“Well Bobby, we almost let it slip away but in the end we went ta are strength.”

“Did you design that last play in regulation for Anders?”

“No, he was are 2nd option. We wanted Berg ta take the shot. He was doubled so Wills got it ta Anders an’ he hit the 12 footer.”

“What happened in OT, Coach?”

“Well, there 2, Vinson, had 10 threes. I tole the guys I didn’t care what they hadda do, he was NOT gonna get a three in OT. An’ he didn’t. Anders covered him with he’p from Rowe, an’ they shut him down. I think he on’y touched it twicet an’ he didn’t have a shot either time.”

“How does it feel to be 2-0.”

“If ah’m dreamin’ don’t wake me up!”

“Thanks Coach.”

Attendance was 688 so at least its movin' in the right derection.
Wayne23

A win then are 1st loss

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Still some stuff I ain’t tole about. I ain’t mentioned family cuz I ain’t got one. I was a only child. Dad died of a heart attack when I was 11. Mom had ta work hard ta keep us eatin’ but like I said, don’t nobody starve here. Still, it kin be kinda grim fer the folks at the bottom a the heap so mom did what she hadta jest ta keep us above that. Then she got cancer in my Senior year at Upstate and died that summer. Far as I know I got no aunts er uncles. So I’m all alone in the world. Oh well, nuthin’ I kin do about it so I don’t worry.

Girls? Well, I like girls an’ that but I ain’t got no idea how ta go about it so I jest don’t think about it. I s’pose it’d be nice ta have a family, kids ‘n that, but I jest don’t see it happenin’. I wouldn’t know where ta begin.

As ta friends, I got a coupla old teammates I see now an’ then but my life is all wrapped up in Spartans hoops an’ I ain’t got time fer nuthin’ else, really.

I love what I’m doin’. Its great, plannin’ fer a game, analyzin’ what the other team does an’ figgerin’ ways ta stop there O an’ beat there D. Keepin’ a eye on my guys, what’s goin’ good fer each one, what ain’t, how kin we fix it.

Makin’ sure there studyin’ an’ not raisin’ to much hell. Chasin’ recruits, lookin’ at disks of are games an’ zillions a other games, takin’ all kindsa notes. An’ on an’ on.

11/20: Logan an’ Cue sign. Joyner don’t. But he’s a Juco so he will.

Detroit, 1-0, Conf’rence O, is in. There PG does it all.There game is all outside but it’s a good one. This won’t be easy.

11/22: Up 7, 10:56. There PG, there best player, gets #2 at 10:17, up 7. Up 12, 7:32. Up 18, 4:31. #2 on Wills, 4:07, up 17. #2 on Anders, 2:52, up 16.

#2 on Rowe, :05. 46-31 at the half. We was up 21 but let ‘em back in some.
+1, +7, 53-44%. Fouls is 10-5. On’y bad thing about the game so far.

13, 1, 1 fer Adams, 10, 4, 1, 1 fer Cain, 6, 3, 1, 1 fer Berg, 6, 0, 2 fer Wills. If we stay outta foul trouble I think we’ll be ok.

#3 on Wills, 18:09. I’m all over the refs, up 17. #3 on Anders, 17:59. Redickulous! Fouls is 4-1, keepin’ ‘em in it. Up 18. Now 6-1, up 21, 13:22. #3 on Berg, 10:47, up 26. There PG gets #4, 10:29, up 23. In control, up 23. 4:50. #4 on Fay, 4:41.

Enuff is enuff, ANOTHER foul, 10-4, at 4:11 an’ I get my first T of my life. Up 17. 88-68 at the end. WOO!!

+4, +10, 52-40%. Fouls was 22-13. Funny how they stopped after my T, RIGHT after.

25, 7, 1 fer Adams. I wonder should I start him? 14, 5, 1, 1 fer Berg, 12, 4, 1, 1 fer Cain, 9, 1, 3 fer Wills, 9, 1, 3 fer Fay. My bench got 52, 19, 10 in 99 min. (outta 200). Hm. Mebbe that’s good. Don’t mess it up. The staff’ll meet on it.

We’re givin’ Adams more playin’ time but not startin’ him, at least yet.
827 people at the game, biggest crowd in more’n 2 years. All of the sudden Tank likes me.

Lehigh, 2-0, Conf’rence S, is in. Another team that’s mostly backcourt.
11/25: Down 4, 12:58. Down 8, 8:57. Ok, that’s enuff, man, level 8.

There killin’ us, down 13, 7:40. 32-39 at the half. Caught up a little.

-3, +3, 44-52%. Fouls is 6-2.

12, 2 fer Anders, 6, 2, 1, 2 fer Berg, 7 fer Rowe. Gotta play some D witch we ain’t.

Down 3, 15:02. Down 5, 10:28. Goin’ ta 9. It was down ta 1 jest a minute ago.

Down 7, 8:21. I’ll go ta 10 soon, hafta if it don’t change.

Goin’ ta 10, down 10, 7:06. Down 7, 3:02. Not good.

Missin’ good chances an’ open looks. Drivin’ me nuts! Down 7, 1:53. Still 7, :55. Gotta go fer threes. Didn’t happen. 55-62.

-3, +2, 35-40%. Fouls was 13-11. We had the open shots, couldn’t hit ‘em.

14, 5 fer Anders, 11, 5 fer Rowe, 7, 3, 5, 1 fer Wills, 6, 4, 2, 3, 2 fer Berg, 5, 6 fer Gates, 6, 3,1 fer Scott. I gotta say when we give up 62 I ‘spect ta win. This ones on the O.

“Bobby Brandon, WSCU. Coach, first loss.”

“Yeah. I geuss I knew we wasn’t goin’ undefeated but losin’ ain’t fun.”

“What went wrong?”

“What went right? In the 2nd when we got it ta one I thought we turned it aroun’ an’ we was gonna git it done, but we jest couldn’t hit shots, open ones even.”

“And the defense?”

“Hey, 62 points. That’s a good night on D.”

“Can’t win ‘em all I guess.”

“Nope, but we shoulda won this one an’ ya gotta win at home."

951 fans at this one an’ they was yellin’ fer us all the way. Sorry we couldn’t get it done fer ‘em.
Wayne23

Postby fondfoat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:12 am

Good read Wayne :) Tough luck on the first loss!
fondfoat

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:33 am

Thanks. Losses happen. I'm surprised this team hasn't lost more.
Wayne23

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports