"Student Athletes..Student comes first"

Postby ukballer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:57 am

November 14th 2011

George Washington (0-0) @ Harvard (0-0)

First game excitement mixed with first game nerves greeted me for my head coaching debut. I'm glad it was a home game just to keep some familiarity for the time being. George Washington came out shooting hot, rattling off the first 7 points before we finally got on the board. Once the initial jitters were out the way, our Seniors really stepped up to the plate, knocking down all sorts of shots.

Alfred Clark in particular was on fire from beyond the arc, hitting all 4 of his treys in the first half, helping us to an 11 point half-time lead. Our hot shooting somehow increased even more in the second half, and GW were left shellshocked. We finished the game 10 of 18 from three point land, and had excellent production from both our starters and our key bench players. Great stuff to see, the guys produced the perfect performance. The fact we nearly scored 100 points says it all really.

Final: George Washington 78-97 Harvard

Harvard Player Of The Game: Alfred Clark (20 Pts, 5 Rebs, 3 Ast, 2 Stl)
Honourable Mention: Dejuan Johnson (14 Pts, 3 Rebs, 5 Ast), Matt Marquardt (10 Pts, 1 Reb, 1 Ast, 1 Stl in 14 Mins)

November 17th 2011

Virginia Tech (1-0) @ Harvard (1-0)

Confidence was sky high after the beatdown we gave George Washington, and while we expected Virginia Tech to provide a tougher test coming from the Atlantic Coast Conference, we still were confident of pushing for the win here. We started off red hot from the field, hitting our first 8 shots and our first 5 free throws. During most of the first half, VT relied heavily on their star man Mike Stephans to carry the load offensively, scoring 16 of their first 26 points. Despite this, VT were still able to hang around, and with about 5 minutes to go of the first half, we 'only' had a 5 point lead.

From that point onwards, the rest of the Virginia Tech team found their shooting stroke, and just went on an absolute barrage in the second half. They set about hitting 10 straight field goals while we just happened to go ice cold. We staged a mini fightback with about 5 minutes to go of the game, but we were too far behind by then. VT didn't commit a single turnover until there was 17 minutes left of the second half, we couldn't compete with that kind of efficiency. Offensive rebounds and second chance points were key as well, they pulled down 11 of them. Alfred Clark, our star man against George Washington had a pretty poor game, playing just 15 minutes in total because of constant foul trouble. He scored just 8 points to go along with 3 turnovers.

Final: Virginia Tech 89-79 Harvard

Harvard Player Of The Game: Derrick McPherson (15 Pts, 4 Rebs, 3 Ast in 19 Mins)
Honourable Mention: Ryan Millford (13 Pts, 6 Rebs)

November 19th 2011

Both Jesse Graves and Darius Ford visited the campus today to officially sign their LOIs, and we're looking forward to them joining the team for 2012! We've offered our last two scholarships to PG Jamal Leib, and SG Eric Johnson. We're hoping to hear positive news from both players soon.

November 21st 2011

Harvard (1-1) @ Villanova (2-0)

We scored the very first bucket of the game, and sadly that was the only time we led. The first half was brutal, and it wasn't necessarily Villanova playing exceptionally well, we just played horribly. We couldn't buy a bucket for most of the first half, and we couldn't control the turnovers either.

Game was already over as a contest, but we did stage a decent fightback at the beginning of the second half. Hopes were raised when we trimmed the lead down to ten, but were soon dashed as Villanova stamped their authority on the game and barely missed a shot the rest of the way. Alfred Clark did all he could to keep us in the game, but sadly wasn't even close to enough. Nobody else managed double figure The disparity in talent between the two teams was clear to see, though I expected more heart from my guys. One small run at the beginning of the second half doesn't make up for two mini collapses before and after it.

Final: Harvard 56-80 Villanova

Harvard Player Of The Game: Alfred Clark (22 Pts, 5 Rebs)
Honourable Mention: Dejuan Johnson (8 Pts, 7 Rebs, 3 Ast)
ukballer

Postby ukballer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 am

November 24th 2011

#13 Virginia (4-1) @ Harvard (1-2)

I went into this one not expecting a great deal after a couple of disappointing performances in the previous games, but made it crystal clear to my team that any lack of effort and heart would mean you'll be riding the bench most of the season. It seemed to work...

Nationally ranked Virginia were shellshocked with how fast we came out the gates, rattling off the first nine points of the game before they hit a couple of free throws. Usually after a fast start I'd expect us to drop off, but somehow we kept up an impressive pace. The real tipping point was our defense, which was outstanding. We held the Cavaliers to just 23 points in the first half alone while dropping 41 ourselves, absolutely incredible stuff!

The beginning of the second half was pleasing too. I expected a barrage from Virginia, but it never really came. Instead we traded baskets and managed to keep up a good lead. The last five minutes Virginia finally started to find their way, and we had to put our starters back in for the last couple of minutes just to see us home. Virginia getting to within six of us by the end doesn't do justice to how dominant we were throughout the game. Extremely proud of the guys knocking off a nationally ranked team! Alfred Clark played like a man possessed.

The only negative was our starting Point Guard Dejuan Johnson suffering what seems to be quite a bad wrist injury after landing on it early in the first half.

Final: Virginia 65-71 Harvard

Harvard Player Of The Game: Alfred Clark (31 Pts, 4 Rebs, 2 Ast, 1 Stl, 1 Blk)
Honourable Mention: Flye Walker (7 Pts, 7 Rebs, 3 Ast)

November 25th 2011

The news regarding Dejuan Johnson's wrist is not good. It is indeed broken, and he's likely to miss at least 50 days of playing time. I may have the option to bring him back in earlier than that, but I'd prefer not to push my luck, so he's going to miss a fair chunk of his Senior season. We anticipate him to return at some point in the middle of the Conference regular season play. Backup Matt Marquardt will take over the starting role.

November 28th 2011

Fordham (4-0) @ Harvard (2-2)

The team were riding a crest of a wave after taking care of business against Virginia, but we had to make sure we didn't take so far unbeaten Fordham too lightly.

Once again we made a pretty fast start, opening the game 8-0 before Fordham scored, but after that it was Fordham controlling the majority of the first half. Alfred Clark was still shooting well though, and meant we trailed just four points at the half.

However, we really stepped up our intensity in the second half defensively, causing Fordham to turn the ball over a lot, while we managed just eight turnovers in total through the whole game compared to twenty-one for Fordham. Twelve total steals in the game was also excellent, five of which came from Ryan Millford, and another four coming from Donnell Welch off the bench. Everything came together, we took a stranglehold of the second half early on, and we never let it go.

Two really great results for our program against strong teams.

Final: Fordham 66-73 Harvard

Harvard Player Of The Game: Alfred Clark (24 Pts, 6 Rebs, 4 Ast)
Honourable Mention: Ryan Millford (8 Pts, 8 Rebs, 5 Stl), Donnell Welch (9 Pts, 5 Rebs, 2 Ast, 4 Stl)
ukballer

Postby CoachC » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:44 pm

nice upset!
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby ukballer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:18 am

December 1st 2011

South Carolina (4-2) @ Harvard (3-2)

We knew we couldn't underestimate South Carolina after a couple of good wins for us, and early on in the game we knew we were in for a battle.

Defence was the name of the game in this one, with neither team shooting well throughout the game. The first half finished a lowly 29-25 in favour of the Gamecocks, a real grind it out half. However, it was South Carolina who firstly found their shooting touch, and rattled off the first eleven points of the second half, leaving us with a mountain to climb. We closed the lead down to seven with about three minutes to play in the game, but we never got any closer than that down the stretch.

Disappointed with the lack of energy we showed, pretty much throughout the whole game, but mainly at the beginning of the second half.

Final: South Carolina 67-56 Harvard

Harvard Player Of The Game: Donnell Welch (10 Pts, 9 Rebs)
Honourable Mention: None
ukballer

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports