"Student Athletes..Student comes first"

"Student Athletes..Student comes first"

Postby ukballer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 am

This really is a step into the unknown for me. I've barely spent five minutes in America, never mind exploring Massachusetts. Little known coach from England now moving to a new country to start coaching Division I College Basketball. Sure, there are going to be some doubters, but I'm ready.

I grew up in Oxfordshire, England and lived there most of my life. I had been playing ball since I could, after getting a Basketball for my fifth birthday. Being from England, of course the number one sport is Football, or Soccer as some of you will know it as. My friends always found it strange how I'd rather shoot hoops instead of doing the norm thing and play Football with everyone else. Sure, I love Football and it will continue to be one of my favourite sports. But it never gave me the same thrill as Basketball did. As Basketball was, and sadly still is a minority sport here, I'd usually have to travel quite far to attend kids camps, play for teams etc. Eventually my talent got spotted by the then Milton Keynes Lions head coach when I was sixteen years old, and was immediately given an opportunity to try and make the team. I was fortunate enough to make it, and surprised myself with how well I performed. Three more years on the MK team and I was now the starting Point Guard for them, a two time British Basketball League MVP and was also a regular in the up and coming Great Britain national team. Without trying to sound cocky, it was clear I was good enough to consider playing overseas, and perhaps even the in the NBA.

In 2010, I had NBA workouts lined up for the Wizards, the Jazz, the Bobcats, the Clippers and also the Trail Blazers. I was beyond excited. Little known Point Guard from England suddenly thrust into the limelight of being a potential first round draft pick in the NBA. The workouts has gone well for the first four teams, and I was keen to keep up my good work for my final workout in Portland. However, just ten minutes into the workout, playing a one on one drill with another draft prospect, I went up for a strong dunk, but as I landed I felt immediate pain in my left leg. I looked down as I laid on the ground and saw a lot of blood, followed by seeing most of my leg twisted around so badly my kneecap was almost scraping the floor, and my left foot twisted so much the mere possibility of walking would be impossible. The pain was there, but it was barely noticable as I went into complete shock, not really understanding what had just happened on a play I've done thousands and thousands of times in my career. Is this it? Am I done? I'll still get to play in the NBA, right?

The news was not good. While I was expected to make a full recovery, the leg was never going to be the same again, and playing professional Basketball was something the Doctors had ruled out for me. Everything I'd worked for, everything I'd dreamed of doing was just gone. I was going to play in the NBA, I was going with a chip on my shoulder to represent my country on the biggest Basketball stage in the world. I was going to work to be a starting Point Guard in this league. I took the news badly, going into complete shutdown for quite a while. I couldn't fathom not playing the game I love. I couldn't even check how the NBA Draft played out without going into hysterics of misery. It took me a long time to get out that dark place, but I made it.

Knowing I wanted to be a part of the game still, I worked as an assistant coach for the GB national team for a couple of years before moving to America to pursue a serious career in coaching. Playing College Basketball wasn't something that was ever really an option for me considering I was already graduated in my own country, plus I felt more than ready for the NBA anyway. Despite this, I still enjoyed watching the NCAA tournament year after year. Initially I hunted around for some coaching jobs, expecting some calls from Division II and III team's to begin with. However, the Athletic Director of Harvard University seemed very keen to get me on board and help improve the team in athletic terms. It was definitely an unexpected offer, but one I was keen to take. I knew about Harvard and their academic prowess, but don't really know what to expect in my first head coaching gig.

My name is Ben Warren, I'm 25 years old, and I am the new Head Coach for the Harvard Crimsons Basketball team.

ukballer

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:47 am

Welcome, Coach Warren. "Fight fiercely, Hahvahd!"
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby ukballer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:28 am

Coach Information

Ben Warren

Experience: 0 Years
Contract: $80,000/3 Years
Ambition: Very High
Academics: High
Discipline: High
Temper: Low
Integrity: High

Coaching Skills

Offense: 30
Defense: 30
Recruiting: 30
Scouting: 30
Player Dev: 30

Coach Philosophies

- Run the floor, fast paced offense. Not to the extent of a Mike D'Antoni style offense, but I want us to be the most in-shape team in the Ivy League, no excuses.
- Lack of effort defensively will see a player ride my bench the rest of the season. I demand intensity at both ends of the floor for all forty minutes.
- While I simply won't be able to find playing time for everyone in every game, I like to have as much depth at every position as possible. Until we get everyone in game shape, I can't rely on my starters to carry the load all season long.
- Zone defense is my preference. If in the future I get to coach in the upper echelons of College Basketball, no doubt my philosophies will change and more Man to Man defense will be played. For now at least, I'm protecting the paint like it's my first born child. If these kids in the Ivy League can knock down their perimeter shots, of course I'll make adjustments. It's up to them to make me avoid using the Zone though.

Harvard Crimson Basketball Team Information

Obviously we know why 99.9% of students are attending Harvard, and it really is great to be associated with one of the most prestigious academic schools in the nation. An A+ for our academic prowess tells you all you need to know. Our facilities aren't really up to scratch though at the moment, earning a measly C grade. We currently have a team prestige of just 14.

The whole student athlete thing is still a little new to me, considering until now most of my days both playing and coaching have been at the professional level. I understand the limitations imposed on the athletic programs, with sport understandably a lower priority than the academic side of things here. (The fact Harvard consistently remain a solid Division I outfit is quite impressive considering).

The school requires a minimum SAT score of 1100 to attend Harvard, though anyone who barely scrapes that score is unlikely to make the final cut. I know if some of my players are slipping academically, it won't just be their ass on the line, it'll be mine as well. If new graduates aren't at least pushing a 4.0 GPA then I'd be a little uncertain as to their future on the team, and more importantly the college. We've got a couple of guys on the team now just creeping over 3.5 GPA. I want everyone on the team to be pushing for a 4.0 GPA or more, just so when the time comes for practice and games we can focus purely on the Basketball side of things.

As most of you will know we're part of the Ivy League, (25 Conference prestige) and we aim to become the strongest team in the Conference. The program has reached the NCAA Tournament just once in their history (game begins from 2011) back in 1946 where they reached the Elite Eight, but since then most of their Basketball time has been limited to Conference play. I aim to turn this team into regular end of season tournament participants. It's a tough job, and with the academic side of things continually ruling over what product I'd like to see out on the floor, this is definitely not an easy challenge.
ukballer

Postby ukballer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:40 am

2011 Team Roster

Starters

PG: Dejuan Johnson - (6'5, 217 lbs, Senior) - Greater Lawrence Tech, MA - 3.7 GPA
SG: Alfred Clark - (6'4, 198 lbs, Senior) - Springfield Science Tech, MA - 4.0 GPA
SF: Ryan Millford - (6'6, 237 lbs, Senior) - Saint John's, MA - 4.0 GPA
PF: Clayton Stewart - (6'8, 213 lbs, Freshman) - Westford Academy, MA - 4.0 GPA
C: Flye Walker - (6'8, 252 lbs, Sophomore) - Attleboro, MA - 3.9 GPA

Bench

PG: Matt Marquardt - (6'0, 194 lbs, Senior) - Westfield, MA - 3.9 GPA
SG: Derrick McPherson - (6'5, 194 lbs, Freshman) - Brockton, MA - 4.0 GPA
SF: David Richard - (6'7, 216 lbs, Junior) - Medway, MA - 3.7 GPA
PF: Donnell Welch - (6'8, 203 lbs, Senior) - Whittier Tech, MA - 4.0 GPA
C: Steve Taylor - (6'10, 271 lbs, Junior) - East Bridgewater, MA - 3.6 GPA
PG: Phillip Dawson - (6'1, 195 lbs, Sophomore) - North Reading, MA - 3.8 GPA
SG: Steve Morin - (6'4, 197 lbs, Freshman) - North Reading, MA - 3.6 GPA
SF: Trey Canal - (6'7, 213 lbs, Junior) - Madison Park, MA - 3.6 GPA
PF: Del Hamilton - (6'6, 204 lbs, Sophomore) - Xaverian Brothers, MA - 3.7 GPA
PF: James Johnson - (6'7, 238 lbs, Freshman) - Rockland, MA - 3.9 GPA

Point Guards

Dejuan Johnson is definitely our starting PG. Dejuan is a really good all-round player who can shoot, pass, play defense and more. Definite shame he's already in his senior year. Matt Marquardt is a solid backup when needed, and while Phillip Dawson has some improving to do, he definitely has some good intangibles and could be a solid player for us in a season or two.

Shooting Guards

Alfred Clark has good Basketball smarts as well as his good classroom work. He's got a strong work ethic, a great shooting stroke, and tremendous athleticism. He could be a really good player if he learns to control it, and also learn to use his athleticism to make him a better defender. McPherson will likely be our starting 2 guard from his Sophomore year onwards, and has a bright future ahead of him. Steve Morin has a great outside shot, but very little else to his game, which is a shame.

Small Forwards

Ryan Millford, another starting Senior for us is going to be a real glue guy for our team. Can do whatever we need from him depending on circumstances, just the type of player we need. David Richard is a nice backup for Millford, and I wouldn't be against the idea to let him be a starter next season when Millford graduates. Speaking to some staff from the team's previous regime, they tell me Trey Canal hasn't developed as well as they'd hoped as he moves into his third year with the team. I can already tell he has talent, but it's up to me to see if I can bring some of it out.

Power Forwards

Clayton Stewart is an absolute godsend for our program. A great student, and a great Basketball player too. Can do a bit of everything, and even has some post moves to his name. Academics are clearly the reason he opted for Harvard, as he no doubt would have got some decent offers from schools with a stronger athletic program compared to ours. Extremely polished player for a Freshman, I'm so excited to be able to work with him for the next four years. Donnell Welch is a reasonable backup for him in his final year with us, though he may see some minutes playing Center too. Dell Hamilton will be a role player for us in his next few years, while James Johnson is an exciting young prospect, but very raw at the moment. May consider redshirting him.

Centers

The Center spot isn't our strongest position, but Flye Walker is a useful big body in the paint for us. He won't be seeing much of the ball on offense, but I'm still hopeful he'll be a big presence for us. Steve Taylor is slightly less mobile than Walker, but at 271 lbs, he'll certainly throw his weight about when we need him to.

Final Thoughts

I'm very pleasantly surprised with what I have at my disposal here. I have to give credit to the recruiting staff from the previous regime, as they've built a nice little team here considering the academic restraints imposed on the program. Clayton Stewart in particular is not a player I would expect to be playing for Harvard, but it's still a pleasant surprise nevertheless. While it is a shame our backcourt is heavily populated with Seniors, we still have some decent prospects to jump in when their time comes, and I'm already excited about the present as well as the future. I see no reason why this team can't be competitive in the Ivy League.
ukballer

Postby CoachC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:48 am

Good luck! Ivy League is a challenge!
CoachC

Postby PointGuard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Good start, uk! Looking forward to reading about your progress.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Keep it coming!
Wayne23

Postby ukballer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Recruiting Begins

We've been given $149,000 as a starting budget which I'm extremely pleased with. $76k of that goes to the Assistant Coaches, and after spending $15k on the Scouting reports needed, that has left us with $58k for recruitment, an amount I hope should be more than enough to get us what we need. We have four scholarships available, and are looking to bring in two Point Guards, one Shooting Guard and one Small Forward.

June 26th

With it being paramount we get hold of a couple of Point Guards in this recruiting year, we set our main focus on that position. We've extended invitations for a campus visit to three players.

PG: Darius Ford - (6'1, 205 lbs, HS SR) - Bishop Carroll, PA - 3.4 GPA. 212th ranked PG in the nation, 51st in region.
PG: Ray Wallace - (6'1, 208 lbs, HS SR) - Central, RI - 4.0 GPA. 236th ranked PG in the nation, 57th in region.
SG: John Williams - (6'4, 182 lbs, HS SR) - Merrimack Valley, NH - 3.9 GPA. 177th ranked SG in the nation, 36th in region.

Ford's GPA is only a small concern at this point. He's the most talented PG who is showing an early interest in us, so we're happy to let him have a look round. Wallace is very close behind Ford in terms of talent, and his classroom work needs no improvement. Williams is the best SG on the board right now for us, so we hope he'll show even more interest after his visit.

Briefly going back to the current roster, we have indeed decided to redshirt freshman Power Forward James Johnson for this season. Hopefully he'll learn quickly while practicing with and watching the team ready for his 'real' freshman season in 2012.

July 4th

Both Darius Ford and Ray Wallace had great visits to the campus and are now very interested in attending. Ford's 3.4 GPA is the only thing stopping me from offering him a scholarship on the spot, though I'm still very much leaning towards an offer. Sadly John Williams' visit wasn't quite so successful, although we still remain in his top three choices right now. Despite this, we'll focus our attention on other players for the time being. Here are the next three recruits about to take in a campus visit.

SG: Nick Thurman - (6'2, 184 lbs, HS SR) - Northeast, MD - 3.3 GPA. 145th ranked SG in the nation. 30th in region.
SG: Joey Morton - (6'2, 189 lbs, HS SR) - Patrick Henry, VA - 3.6 GPA. 226th ranked SG in the nation. 51st in region.
SF: Freddie Croshere - (6'8, 199 lbs, HS SR) - Athol, MA - 3.4 GPA. 270th ranked SF in the nation. 71st in region.

Again, the GPAs of all three new visitors are a little concern, but they're all talented Basketball players for the Ivy League level. Croshere is already listing us as his number one choice before he's even visited us thanks to location being a high priority in a school, so if the campus visit goes well he's surely ours.

July 11th

Thurman and Morton both enjoyed their visits which was good. Surprisingly though, Freddie Croshere didn't feel the visit was worthwhile, so he might still take some convincing, despite keeping us as his number one choice. Three more recruits are set to visit us.

SG: John Gipson - (6'4, 184 lbs, HS SR) - Minnechaug Regional, MA - 3.7 GPA. 273rd ranked SG in the nation. 62nd in region.
SF: Mike Bryson - (6'8, 223 lbs, HS SR) - Cape Elizabeth, ME - 3.6 GPA. 279th ranked SF in the nation. 73rd in region.
SF: Ashley Davis - (6'6, 231, HS SR) - Franklin County, VA - 3.7 GPA. 211th ranked SF in the nation. 56th in region.

All three are again talented players, but wouldn't be first choice scholarship picks for me. But we have to give ourselves options in case our Plan A picks don't materialise. Speaking of which, we decided to offer our first two scholarships to Point Guards Darius Ford and Ray Wallace. Both enjoyed their campus visits a couple of weeks ago, and as of now we see no other better options out there.

July 17th

We're greeted with the news that Gipson, Bryson and Davis all enjoyed their visits, which gives us more options for potential recruits. We've now entered the dead period, so for now at least we're limited to phonecalls and scouting reports. We've decided to offer our third scholarship to Shooting Guard Joey Morton. As for who will get our final offer is between a couple of the Small Forwards. We still have hope we can convince Croshere to come to us, but we still have other players interested if he decides to go elsewhere.

July 25th

We took the plunge and decided to offer Croshere the final Scholarship place in the end. He still lists us as his first choice for school, as well as citing both academics and location as two of the most important factors in his decision, so we're hopeful.

September 11th

After a pretty uneventful period of time, we were finally allowed to make home visits to each player we've offered a scholarship too. All four were reminded of our academic prowess during each pitch, as all four prospects spoke of that as an important factor. We'll see how they really went soon.

September 18th

We have our first committal! Darius Ford was so impressed he decided there and then to pledge himself to Harvard, fantastic news! Ray Wallace and Joey Morton both loved the visit too, but are assessing their options just a bit longer. Sadly Freddie Croshere decided we weren't for him, so we'll have to look elsewhere for a SF.

September 25th

We offer our final scholarship to Jesse Graves, a 6'6 SF from Middletown, CT. We paid him a visit during the week and he really liked what he heard. He also took in a campus visit, and is giving us strong consideration. We're still waiting on decisions from Wallace and Morton.

Schedule

Our full schedule has just been released, and it's not the easiest non-conference schedule we could have got. But if we want to consider ourselves an NCAA tournament ready team, we've gotta face some tough opposition sometime. With five of the first six games being played at home, I hope we can have a strong start to the season.

14th Nov 2011 - Vs George Washington
17th Nov 2011 - Vs Virginia Tech
21st Nov 2011 - @ Villanova
24th Nov 2011 - Vs Virginia
28th Nov 2011 - Vs Fordham
1st Dec 2011 - Vs South Carolina
5th Dec 2011 - @ Alabama St.
8th Dec 2011 - @ South Dakota
12th Dec 2011 - Vs Morehead St.
15th Dec 2011 - @ Oklahoma St.
19th Dec 2011 - @ Stetson
22nd Dec 2011 - @ Santa Clara
26th Dec 2011 - Vs Duquesne
2nd Jan 2012 - @ Columbia
5th Jan 2012 - Vs Princeton
9th Jan 2012 - @ Cornell
12th Jan 2012 - Vs Yale
16th Jan 2012 - Vs Pennsylvania
19th Jan 2012 - @ Dartmouth
23rd Jan 2012 - Vs Brown
26th Jan 2012 - Vs Columbia
30th Jan 2012 - @ Princeton
2nd Feb 2012 - Vs Cornell
6th Feb 2012 - @ Yale
9th Feb 2012 - @ Pennsylvania
13th Feb 2012 - Vs Dartmouth
16th Feb 2012 - @ Brown

(Italics denotes Conference games).

October 2nd

Disappointing news from both Ray Wallace and Joey Morton. Wallace decided to commit to Conference rivals Columbia, while Morton opted for Lehigh.

October 16th

We have our second committal! SF Jesse Graves will join the team for 2012. Unfortunately SG Nick Thuman decided to go to Columbia and join Ray Wallace. Damn them!
ukballer

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Very ambitious early season schedule!

Recruiting is always a challenge.
Wayne23

Postby ukballer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks for the encouragement, fellas. :)

First game has been played and will get a few more done today!
ukballer

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports