City of Brotherly Love: Run LaSalle, Run

Postby TheShow23 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:51 pm

[SIZE="5"][color="Navy"]2024 NCAA Tournament

East Region

3rd Round

[/color][/SIZE]

[font="Comic Sans MS"] (2) La Salle Explorers vs. (7) Alabama Crimson Tide

Going over the scouting reports we pretty much knew for Alabama it is Victor Herrera or bust. He came into the game averaging 27.2 points per game. Defensively our strategy would be to make Victor work, with a scorer like that you can’t stop him but you can force him to work. In the first half he torched us scoring 20 points, we were struggling as Alabama held a 33-25 lead at the half. Defensively I didn’t make major adjustments, just told the team to keep making Herrera work. On offense Juan McCullum took over in the second half, demanding the ball he went to work on the interior. His 10th point of the half put us up 62-51 and we never looked back in route to a 71-64 win. Juan scored 19 points, Grant scored 13 and Roderick had 11.

La Salle Player of The Game: Juan McCullum 19 points 9 rebounds 3 blocks.
[/font]
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:38 pm

East Region

Sweet 16
[/color][/SIZE]

[font="Comic Sans MS"] (2) La Salle Explorers vs. (3) Memphis Tigers

Similar to Alabama, Memphis was a team with a lead scorer. Shooting Guard Mike Wolthers was the only Tiger to average double figures in the regular season getting 17.2 points per game. The difference between Memphis and Alabama was the other players on Memphis played their roles to perfection. They are an athletic team who swarms opponents with their defense. The first half of the game was a Memphis style of game, at halftime they held a 29-27 lead. Without Fred Black we lacked that lead scorer, but every night by committee different players would step up. Tonight Donnell Smith took over scoring 10 of his 12 points in the second half. In the midst of a horrible shooting game Grant Petion made his only shot a three pointer to put us up 53-50 with 40 seconds left in the game. Wolthers cut the deficit to one, and Traves Black restored our three point lead making two foul shots with 14 seconds remaining. Memphis would look to Wolthers, his three bounced off the front of the rim into the hands of Traves. Two made foul shot sealed a 57-52 victory.

La Salle Player of The Game: Juan McCullum 9 points 13 rebounds
[/font]
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:54 pm

East Region

Elite 8
[/color][/SIZE]

[font="Comic Sans MS"] (2) La Salle Explorers vs. (5) LSU Tigers

One game separated us from the Final Four, the players were a bit nervous beforehand. That was expected as this would be the biggest game of their lives. We went from playing the Tigers of Memphis to the Tigers of LSU. The Tigers weren’t to be taken lightly as they took the plaudits with the shocking win over top seeded UConn in the Sweet 16. We continued our run of slow first half starts, failing down by as many as 12 points we stumbled into halftime trailing 29-36. A drastic change was necessary, we went into a box and 1 defense something LSU had not seem on our game film. Donnell Smith would get the task of guarding LSU’s Cleveland Emerson while we zoned the rest of the LSU team. The ploy worked, by the midway point of the 2nd half the score was tied up. The game remained even until LSU scored 4 points to take a 64-60 lead with 51 seconds left. Donnell Smith drove the length of the court in 6 seconds to get a layup to cut the deficit to 2 with 45 seconds left. With a 10 second difference between the clocks I instructed the players not to foul. LSU ran the clock all the way down but our tight defense forced an airball, Juan McCullam rebounded the ball and we had 10 seconds left. I put the ball in Donnell Smith’s hands, he beat his man off the dribble which got the LSU defense in help mode. His pass found Roderick Andrews who kicked the ball out to Traves Black. His three stayed in the air seemingly forever before swishing through the net to put us up 65-64 with 3 seconds left. Emerson’s last second shot was blocked by Roderick as time expired.

La Salle Player of The Game: Donnell Smith 15 points

[/font]
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Final Four
[/color][/SIZE]

[font="Comic Sans MS"] (2) La Salle Explorers vs. (1) Michigan State Spartans

In the buildup before our Final Four game rumor was going around that Fred Black would play, he was back practicing and had an opportunity to play. On the day before the game Fred had one final workout to determine if he could play or not, after talking with the team doctor it was agreed that Fred would sit out. Though he was disappointed Fred continued to be a positive contributor to our efforts. In our first game against Michigan State we only scored 47 points, and that was with Fred Black. Without him questions arose how we could score enough points to beat Michigan State. We trailed 31-33 at halftime, but anyone whose followed our tournament run knew that would not deter us. The last 20 minutes of the game were the best I’ve ever seen a team play defense, Michigan State completely got shut down. Only scoring 19 points in the second half their offense was flustered, we picked up our pace and advanced to Monday’s National Title game against Oregon with a 62-52 victory. The Spartans shot 5-25 from three and turned the ball over 23 times. On offense no one stared for us, Roderick Andrews and Chris Dawson led the way with 10 points apiece, Jason Crawford scored 9, Traves Black had 8 and Donnell Smith chipped in 7. The free throw line played an important role, we went 22-28 while Michigan State shot 9-10.

La Salle Player of The Game: Roderick Andrews 10 points 4 steals
[/font]
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Final Four

National Title Game

[/color][/SIZE]

[font="Comic Sans MS"] (2) La Salle Explorers vs. (1) Oregon Ducks

Without Fred Black we went 16-1 but there is no mistaking that Fred is our best player, when the doctors gave him full clearance to play it was a no brainer that we would get as much out of him as possible. Oregon game into the game led by two freshmen, Power Forward Quadree Henry was the number 1 rated player coming out of high school, averaging 17 points per game he has lived up to the hype. Jeff Jennings was the 25th ranked player who was second in scoring for Oregon at 14.2 per game. Oregon starts 3 seniors and the 2 freshmen. We counter with 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and a sophomore in Grant Petion. Defensively we are one of the best teams in the country, but Oregon is the best allowing 51.7 points per game. On our first four offensive possessions Fred clearly showed his rust turning the ball over twice and being very short on both of his jump shots. After that the Oregon defense took over, they were as good as advertised. Late in the half we trailed 43-19 and it seemed that Oregon was going to put the final nail in the coffin, we trailed 27-47 at the half and seemed to have little chance of coming back, Roderick Andrews was in foul trouble and struggled with Quadree Henry who scored 14 first half points. After Roderick picked up his 4th foul early in the second half it was time to go for broke, Donnell Smith would come in which meant Grant would shift to the power forward position. Giving up 3 inches and 40 points to Henry, we knew it would be a difficult matchup for Grant. We also knew pound for pound Grant was the toughest guy on our team and would respond to the challenge. The first time down the court Grant drew a charge, the second time down Grant stole the ball from Henry which led to a Fred Black 3 which was his first basket of the game. Grant’s block of Henry led to a fast break, Traves found Donnell in the corner and his 3 cut the deficit to 14 points with 14 minutes remaining. A 3 point play by McCullam cut Oregon’s lead to 8 with 6 minutes remaining. After both teams went cold for a four minute stretch Donnell’s layup made the score 53-59 at the 2 minute mark. A Jason Crawford steal led to Traves pushing the ball up the court, his pass found Grant who was fouled as he made a 3. His four point play made the score 57-59 with 1:16 left. Grant blocked Henry’s shot but the ball fell to Oregon’s Myron Young, he kicked the ball out to Jennings whose 3 with 42 seconds left in the game put Oregon up 62-57. Fred’s following three missed and Oregon got the rebound. Our comeback came up short as Oregon had their one shining moment with a 68-60 win. Donnell Smith was our leading scorer with 15 points, Grant Petion inspired the comeback with 14 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks. Fred scored 12 and shot 4-15 in his first game back.

La Salle Player of The Game: Grant Petion 14 points 11 rebounds 4 blocks
[/font]
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:54 pm

[SIZE="5"][color="Navy"]2024 NCAA Tournament[/color][/SIZE]

Final Four

La Salle (2) 62 vs. Michigan State (1) 52

Oregon (1) 66 vs. Florida (1) 42

National Title Game

La Salle (2) 60 vs. Oregon (1) 68

[/
[SIZE="5"][color="Navy"]2023/2024 La Salle Season Recap[/color][/SIZE]
B]

Overall Record: 34-4

Atlantic 10 Record: 15-1

RPI: 8

National Rank: 7

Dion Tyler – Atlantic 10 Coach of The Year.
Juan McCullum – Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of The Year.
Juan McCullum – Atlantic 10 1st Team
Fred Black – Atlantic 10 1st Team
Grant Petion – Atlantic 10 1st Team

Recruiting
• Brian Williams is a 6’8 center from Pocola, Oklahoma. Despite being an undersized center Brian dominates the interior. Brian is ranked 24th in the country.

• Ryan Marshall is a 6-4 JuCo point guard from Saltville, Virgina. Ryan has excellent vision and will be counted on to fill the void left by the graduating Traves Black. Ryan is the 51st rated player in the country.

[B]
[SIZE="5"][color="Navy"]La Salle 2023/2024 Season Stats[/color][/SIZE]

PPG
1. Fred Black 20.2
2. Grant Petion 13.1
3. Juan McCullum 8.0
4. Traves Black 7.8

RPG
1. Juan McCullum 8.6
2. Grant Petion 5.3

APG
1. Traves Black 5.8

SPG
1. Grant Petion 1.4
2. Fred Black 1.3

BPG
1. Juan McCullum 1.9

2024 NBA draft: Donnell Smith 40, Traves Black 41, Juan McCullum 33, Fred Black 21, Ben Pryor 11
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 am

[font="Comic Sans MS"]When the final seconds ticked away against Oregon I knew our great run was coming to an end in multiple ways. For starters the lost meant our long season was finally over. I also knew this particular team wouldn't have the chance to repeat a Final Four run. Three key seniors would be graduating. When Fred Black told me he was leaving early for the draft I wasn't majorly surprised. Despite the losses I felt good about the upcoming season. When Ben Pryor told me he was declaring for the draft I was stunned. Though talented he barely played, I was expecting him to come back and anchor our low post attack. His departure rocked us as we didn't have a big man to replace him. [/font]
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:53 pm

[SIZE="5"][color="Navy"]2024/2025 La Salle Explorers Roster[/color][/SIZE]

Starting Lineup

*Denotes Returning Starter

Jason Smith 6-5 Senior SG 4/5
Chris Dawson 6-5 Sophomore RS SG 4/5
* Grant Petion 6-6 Junior SF 4/5
Jonathan Butler 6-6 Senior PF 4/5
Brian Willis 6-8 Freshman C 4/5

Bench

Jason Crawford 6-7 Junior RS PF 2.5/4.5
*Roderick Andrews 6-6 Senior PF 4/5
Jimmy Tompson 6-8 Sophomore RS PF 3/5
Freddie Watkins 6-1 Senior RS PG 2/4
Ryan Maeshall 6-4 Junior PG 2/4.5
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:04 pm

[SIZE="5"][color="Navy"]2024/2025 Non-Conference Review[/color][/SIZE]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Coming into the season I knew we would have a drop off in the level of our performances. Suffering the defections we did things would not be easy. Jason Smith starting the season at point guard would be an adjustment, though we have 2 true point guards neither one impressed me enough to hand them a starting role. Erasing a 17 point deficit we were able to squeak out a 66-63 win over Stanford to start the season. The win meant we advanced in the Coaches Classic to play against number 7 Pitt. The Panthers had an excellent team but the 82-36 loss we suffered was abysmal. By far it was the worst performance one of my coached teams has ever had.

A 75-77 HOME loss to Stetson had me at my wits end. At 5-6 we were struggling, especially on offense. The team was averaging 64 points per game. Changes had to be made, before a game against Norfolk State I named walk-on Jabari Herrion as the starting point guard. That was big news around the program because I never include walk-ons in my rotation. Jabari did not set the world on fire, however he pushed the tempo which jump started the offense.

La Salle overall record of 7-6 [/font]
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:19 pm

[SIZE="5"][color="Navy"]2024/2025 Atlantic 10 Review[/color][/SIZE]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Conference play started with a 56-65 loss at St. Joes. After that we ran off 13 wins in a row before losing the last game of the season at Charlotte. Brian Willis recorded his first career double-double, 14 points and 10 rebounds in a 71-57 win against Rhode Island. In a tough 77-70 win at Richmond Jabari's 7 assists pace started a second half offensive explosion. Chris Dawson's 18 and Jabari's 17 points proved too much for UMass to contain in a 68-50 home win. Shooting 5 for 8 from three Jabari was particularly impressive.

Jonathan Butler's 22 points helped us to an easy 79-58 win against Fordham. All five starters scored in double figures and Jabari handed out a season high 11 assists. 20 efficient points from Grant Petion led us to a 75-61 win at George Washington. A double-double of 21-10 by Chris saw us defeat Duquense 71-57. In a wild 91-84 win at city rivals Temple, Grant's 20 points led by La Salle double figure scorers. Senior night saw St. Joe's come to town, though it was Senior Night it was a Junior in Grant Petion whose 25 points helped us to avenge our early season loss to the Hawks.

La Salle overall record 21-8, 14-2 Atlantic 10, ranked 17th overall
[/font]
TheShow23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2 Dynasty Reports