Wherever it goes

Postby Rasmuth » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 pm

More February 2020 Orlando Magic results:

Game #52) Orlando @ Milwaukee, W 99-91 (30-22)
POG - Ryan Anderson- 15p & 6r
Mike Kernan- 8pts in 9 minutes off bench
(6 Magic players in double figures)

Game #53) Orlando @ Lakers, L 83-111 (30-23)
POG - Josh Howard- 27p, 13a, 6r, 7 steals
(Lakers dominate this game right from the start, embarrassing loss on the road)

Game #54) Orlando @ Sacramento, L 92-106 (30-24)
POG - DeMarcus Cousins- 20p, 15r, 4 steals
Ryan Anderson- 30p & 8r
(Magic waste a very solid performance from Anderson)

Game #55) Orlando @ Utah, W 114-106 (31-24)
POG - Kenny Horton- 27p, 3a, 2r, 3 blocks
Goran Dragic- 22p & 11a
Ty Braun- 18p & 9r
(Clutch road win, much needed on this extended road trip)

Game #56) Orlando @ Minnesota, L 95-105 (31-25)
POG - Kevin Love- 29p & 15r
Greg Oden- 13p & 8r in spot start for injured Cortez Ash
(5th consecutive road game)

Game #57) Orlando @ Oklahoma City, W 109-90 (32-25)
POG - Kenny Horton- 22p, 2a, 5r
Iman Shumpert- 11p in 15 minutes off bench
(6 straight road games for Magic, OKC wastes 24p/11r effort from Kevin Durant)

(games through 2/28/2020)
Check out my music...you might be surprised.
http://www1.indiemusicworks.com/Rasmuth/
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:31 am

I’m frustrated beyond measure. I fully expected this team to begin some sort of a charge in February. I know the odds were stacked against the Magic this past month, with 9 of the 12 games on the road, but I figured this was the perfect time to send the league a statement. While there were some fine moments on the court, inconsistency is still prevalent. I suppose under these circumstances, a 6-6 record for the month should be acceptable, I really had higher hopes for the team.

I will admit, I’ve been hesitant to make a roster move, truthfully because I didn’t think I’d had to, and with the trading deadline passed, I’m not even sure what I can do at this point in time, except ride in March and hope for the best. The good news is we have the schedule on our side this upcoming month. Twelve of our sixteen games are at home, so maybe I just need to readjust my mental timeline.

We’re playing well enough to where we should make the playoffs and Amstar will be more than happy with that achievement, especially in light of me managing to keep the team below the salary cap, but I want more. Perhaps I am expecting too much too soon. This team has been on the skids for years and last season we finally turned things around and made the playoffs and I’m confident we will this season too. The fans are joyous and I’m being hailed as a genius. But I don’t feel like a genius, I feel like a failure. I still wonder if I miscalculated the potential for this team.

My primary disappointment is with Cortez Ash. His play has been spotty at best and truthfully, I expected better execution under the glass. His rebounding numbers are decent, but I really thought he was ready to play at another level. The experiment using Oden and Stoudamire starting at center and getting more minutes didn’t achieve a noticeable improvement. And while Oden had a few nice games, and is certainly stronger defensively, his body is just too fragile to realistically keep up that kind of pace and it’s unfair of me to demand or expect it from him.

At this point, I’m also beginning to believe that Iman Shumpert is dispensable too. It’s true he brings solid defense and his ability to generate steals is unparalleled on the team, but he’s languishing behind Dragic and Horton and his scoring and confidence have sunk to new lows, despite getting a fair share of minutes. I’ve hesitated moving him because if either of those guys go down, I’d certainly be glad to have him to insert in the starting lineup. I have a lot of thinking to do and perhaps more drastic changes are in order for the off season.

The sharp clink of ice hitting the inside of a glass pulled me from this myriad of my deep, unsettled thoughts. I generously poured two drinks, my mouth nearly watering in anticipation.

“Hey, babe?” Marlene called from the other room.

“Just a second,” I answered. “I’ve got your drink.”

She slowly walked from my room into the office, stark naked, her attention drawn to one of my many picture albums, the ones she’s aware of anyway. She is truly an amazing sight to behold and I mentally kick myself for not having my camera at the ready.

Marlene is not bisexual, but she enjoys looking through my pictures with me sometimes. She appreciates the female form like I do, as perhaps the purist work of art. Certainly some of my photos you wouldn’t call art, but I do take pride when I capture a woman’s raw physical beauty and I seem to have a gift to capture it with a camera. I think, too, she also enjoys how much I enjoy the pictures when we look and discuss them together. It certainly creates an advantageous mood.

She looked at me, clearly perplexed. “When did you take these shots of Nina?”

I walked towards her, holding out her drink, studying her face, trying to read any trace of emotion. “New Year’s Eve,” I said, without hesitation.

I expected her to ask me why I didn’t tell her, but she didn’t. She closed the book, placed it on my desk and took her drink from my hand. “She certainly is an amazingly beautiful woman,” she said after taking a sip of the whiskey, “incredibly exotic to say the least.”

I nodded in agreement. She wouldn’t get an argument from me on that point.

“So you obviously took my advice not to be alone on New Years,” she added, without malice, jealously or judgement of any kind, that I could notice. It was simply a factual statement.

I chuckled, remembering the odd circumstances that led to that evening. “Believe it or not, we literally ran into each other near the locker rooms. I think we were the only two people in the building, besides the security guard. She was here to retrieve her forgotten paycheck and I just happened to be down there searching for a working vending machine. I was simply looking to quench my Twizzler craving. Anyway, we got to talking, both of us alone with no plans and so we decided to have dinner.” I shrugged indifferently and added: “One thing led to another.” For a moment I considered adding as they often do to my last statement, but I thought better of it last second.

What I initially perceived as perhaps a look of jealousy was actually, I realized moments later, a look of confusion and dismay.

“I’m glad you two rang in the New Year together, I truly am, and from the look of things,” she said, nodding towards the book, “you both had a very nice time."

"We did," I said.

Marlene slowly shook her head and spoke slowly as she processed this surprise. "What I find amusing about all this is that she would be the last choice of all the girls on my squad I would expect to find in your book. She’s normally such a proper, reserved and lonely girl, but judging from those photos, it would appear she’s not always so shy.”

I didn’t know what to say, so I just nodded and slowly drank a large swig of whiskey. That night with Nina left an indelible mark in my memory. The woman was amazing. There aren’t many things that surprise me, but her performance was nothing short of legendary. And even more surprising, we really had a nice evening before things got down and dirty, so to speak. I’ve done everything in my mind to dismiss it since, but there was a real comfortable and pleasing connection, and that was the biggest surprise of all. I can honestly say that in all my years, I’ve never felt more connected to any one woman than Marlene, until perhaps this past New Years Eve. I’ve tried chalking it up to the usual excitement of a being with a new and different woman and maybe that’s all it was, but it’s so hard to be sure. I don’t know…this whole feelings thing is so damn confusing anyway. I find it best to just suppress these thoughts, they only get in the way.

Marlene continued. “I guess her resignation today shouldn’t have come as such a surprise, but it still did.” Marlene sighed and took an ample swallow of her drink too.

“She quit?” I said, stunned.

“She most certainly did,” Marlene confirmed, “just this morning. She told me she was just too homesick and she needed to just go home. It was obvious she was clearly torn and upset over her decision and she was very adamant with her gratitude for the opportunity she had here.” Marlene locked her gaze onto mine; a single droplet of sweat fell from her glass and ran down one of her spectacularly ample breasts. “I have backup girls, it’s not a problem replacing her, but…it’s just that I liked her. She’s a real good kid, a hard worker and perhaps the most athletic of the bunch. I had her pegged for captain next season.”

“I’m sorry, babe,” I said, walking to her and hugging her tightly, but awkwardly, considering we were both still holding our drinks. Now when you hug a naked woman, especially one as incredible as Marlene, it doesn’t take long for things to happen and no doubt she noticed, it would be impossible for her not to.

“Let me refill your drink,” I said a bit breathless when the hug ended.

“No,” she said firmly, taking my glass from my hand and placing both glasses on my desk. Taking my hand in hers, she led me back into the bedroom. “We’ll drink later. I’ve got other business…to attend to.”

As a businessman, I certainly couldn’t deny her logic.

A few hours later, Marlene sprawled in a deep slumber across my bed; I sent a few emails to some trusted contacts in and around the league on a whim. The trading deadline came and went almost two weeks ago, so I knew there was nothing I could do at this point as far as wholesale roster changes were concerned, but I hoped to perhaps add another big man, who could chew up some minutes in the event Cortez Ash continued to flounder and at the very worst, be available in case of catastrophic injury. My confidence with Oden and Stoudamire as the sole backups was greatly diminished.

At 8:47am, the ringtone on my phone announced a text, awakening me from an uneasy rest. From all people it was from my father. He hadn’t been on my email list earlier this morning, so I never expected the message to be basketball related. A lightning bolt of adrenalin shot through my veins as my mind quickly wondered if something had happened to mom. Instead, the message simply read: remember D.Morrison? GoldenState released him.

I remembered Daymeon Morrison, remembered him well. Visiting my folks in Connecticut two years ealier, my father literally dragged me to see this kid play center for Masuk High School in Monroe. The locals dubbed him The 2nd Coming of Mike Gminski. Gminski graduated Masuk in 1977, scoring over 44 points per game for his career…that’s right…career. He graduated early, later starred for the Duke Bluedevils right from his freshman season, and his number was later hoisted to the rafters, his name littering the Duke record book.

Funny thing is the two players had little in common except they both played center. Morrison is black, Gminski is white. Morrison barely graduated high school and college was never an option; Gminski graduated high school in three years and graduated Duke with honors. Both were drafted in the first round, but while Gminski went on to play 938 games in the NBA, Morrison was released, never playing a minute of pro ball.

The more I thought about it, the more it almost made sense. True, he was an extremely raw talent, but when we worked him out last summer before the draft, the level of improvement from just the summer previous was astronomical. He was a few inches shorter than Gminski but he was a better rebounder than the G-Man.

The kid wasn't stupid, but I could see how others might think he was. School and the kid just didn't agree, he certainly had issues with book learning, whether it was mental or medical, I don't know and personally I really didn't care. My take on the kid was he was actually rather bright and got along on solid instincts and a solid moral foundation. The other thing I noticed, besides his sheer rawness as a player, was his ability to soak up anything basketball. The kid listened and absorbed everything he saw.

And he had a strong work ethic. I had no doubt the kid was still working hard despite his release, hoping for another shot next season or perhaps Europe. Then it really hit me. I can pick up, at minimal cost, a 19 year old 1st-round draft pick who can perhaps already give us minutes at the NBA level…why wouldn’t I?

Do you know I called that kid at 8:58am, just 11 minutes later and he answered on the second ring. He was breathing heavily and after I announced who I was, he apologized for breathing noisily, he’d just finished his daily 8 mile run. Then he told me I was lucky because if I waited just 20 minutes more, I would have missed him because he always turns off his phone before his 3-hour workout with a local junior college basketball team he was also kinda helping coach.

More amazingly, he was suited up and made our 3pm practice in Orlando, already shooting mid-range jumpshots at 2:50pm.

I love this kid!

Later I asked my father why he sent me that text, what led him to contact me at the exact moment I was looking for a player. He just shrugged and told me he thought the team had a need and it worried him, so he thought he'd just send me a little reminder. Like father, like son, I guess.
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:46 am

Here are the current standings in the Southeast of the East:

Atlanta Hawks 34-24
Charlotte Bobcats 33.24
Orlando Magic 32-25
Miami Heat 24-33
Washington Wizards 22-34

in the Atlantic, the Knicks hold a 2.5 game lead over both the Celtics and the 76'ers.

In the Central, the Cavaliers are 2 games ahead of Detroit and Milwaukee is 5 games out.

If the season were to end today, the Magic would hold the 6th playoff spot in the East.

In the Western Conference, the Hornets are running away with the Southwest, holding an imposing 19.5 game lead over both Memphis and the Spurs.

In the Northwest, Denver is 3.5 games ahead of the Timberwolves.

And in the Pacific, Sacramento is 3 games ahead of the Warriors and the Clippers sit 4 games out.
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:23 pm

March 2020 Orlando Magic Results:

Game #58) Washington @ Orlando, L 95-117 (32-26)
POG - Maurice Minahan- 28p, 1a, 4r
Ty Braun- 31p, 3a, 8r
(Clobbered at home, bad loss, Washington shot 58% from field. Recent Magic signee, Daymeon Morrison gets first NBA minutes, 2p & 4r in 8 minutes.)

Game #59) Chicago @ Orlando, W 109-88 (33-26)
POG - Ryan Anderson- 24p, 3a, 8r, 4 steals
Daymeon Morrison- 8p in 11 minutes
(solid home win, Morrison is quickly becoming a fan favorite after only 2 games)

Game #60) Orlando @ Miami, L 88-109 (33-27)
POG - Tony Dickenman- 25p, 10a, 5r, 6 steals
(bad road loss, Magic were never in this contest)

Game #61) Orlando @ Brooklyn, W 103-101 (34-27)
POG - Barry Sankes- 30p, 5a, 8r, 3 steals
Terrance Logie - 10p & 3r in 10 minutes
(Impressive road win with solid team effort. Oden scored game winning basket)

Game #62) Orlando @ Atlanta, L 99-107 (34-28)
POG - David Walker- 29p, 7a, 4r, 2 blocks, 3 steals
(Orlando staged furious comeback in 4th quarter, holding Atl to just 11 points but it just wasn't enough)

(games thru 3/9/2020)
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:36 pm

More Magic results for March 2020:

Game #63) Milwaukee @ Orlando, W 105-104 (35-28)
POG - Kenny Horton- 26p, 4a, 2r, 3 steals
Carmelo Anthony- 20p in just 16 minutes
(Home win was a nail-biter with Carmelo Anthony sinking the winning bucket)

Game #64) Memphis @ Orlando, L 105-121 (35-29)
POG - Chris Demory- 28p, 7a, 5r
Ryan Anderson- 30p & 11r
(Memphis outplayed the Magic in the paint and handily cruised to victory)

Game #65) Minnesota @ Orlando, W 113-95 (36-29)
POG - Goran Dragic- 21p & 4a
Carmelo Anthony- 19p & 7r
(Timberwolves jumped out to early lead, but Magic took over 2nd half)

Game #66) Detroit @ Orlando, W 118-117 (37-29)
POG - Goran Dragic- 37p, 6a, 2r
Daymeon Morrison- 12p & 3r in 10 minutes
Ryan Anderson- 28p & 9r
(Last second home victory with winning basket from Ryan Anderson)

Game #67) Utah @ Orlando, W 105-86 (38-29)
POG - Ryan Anderson- 22p & 9r
Carmelo Anthony- 21p, 5a, 5r
(Carmelo Anthony with start for injured Ty Braun)

(games thru 3/18/2020)
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 am

Even more March 2020 Magic results:

Game #68) Sacramento @ Orlando, W 106-98 (39-29)
POG - Kenny Horton- 16p, 2a, 9r
Daymeon Morrison- 14p & 4r in 11 minutes
Iman Shumpert- 16p in 19 minutes
(modest 4 game winning streak, Magic bench with 48 points)

Game #69) New Orleans @ Orlando, L 99-128 (39-30)
POG - Jeremy Lin- 24p, 14a, 5 steals
(Magic horribly outplayed and outscored by NO in all 4 periods)

Game #70) Orlando @ Chicago, W 104-89 (40-30)
POG - Ryan Anderson- 20p, 2a, 7r, 4 steals
Kenny Horton- 18p & 10r
(go figure, excellent road win following an embarrassing home loss....)

Game #71) Portland @ Orlando, L 89-104 (40-31)
POG - LaMarcus Aldridge- 35p & 8r
Ryan Anderson- 25p & 10r
(another disgusting home loss)

Game #72) San Antonio @ Orlando, W 113-96 (41-31)
POG - Kenny Horton- 22p, 4a, 5r
Iman Shumpert- 15p in 20 minutes
(Daymeon Morrison with first NBA start)

Game #73) New York @ Orlando, 108-111 (41-32)
POG - Blake Griffin- 23p, 4a, 14r
(tough loss to my old nemesis, the Knicks)

(Games thru 3/30/2020)
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:13 am

Man, the drinks are going down easy tonight. The Magic dropped a tough home game tonight against the Knicks.

I hate losing.

I hate losing home games even more.

And I hate losing to the Knicks the most. I think most folks who know my history, understand why.

Despite this loss, I’m feeling more optimistic than I probably should, considering we closed out the month of March with a disappointing 9-7 record. Even so, we are on the verge of clinching a playoff spot and we have a real good shot of equaling last years 45 wins or maybe, if we’re lucky, surpass it.

The playoffs are a forgone conclusion at this point and our fans are literally frothing at the mouth with anticipation. The collective excitement surrounding this team is refreshing and contagious. I can’t help but find myself nearly trapped in the playoff hype despite my deeper understanding of this club’s weaknesses. My secret inner hope is we can win our first round match-up and advance. Beyond that, I don’t have much confidence.

I pour another drink, so I’m feeling no pain right now. I remind myself that I need to call my dad and thank him for the timely tip regarding Daymeon Morrison. He has been a godsend to this team. The kid’s only 19, but he carries a unique confidence I’ve never witnessed before. He’s not cocky, but he just understands he can compete in this league and his enthusiasm won over the team almost immediately. His respect and gratitude to his teammates is refreshing and it’s a joy watching the kid and Carmelo work together.

It was clear from day one that Daymeon was in sheer awe of Carmelo Anthony and he was amusingly tentative around him. (Daymeon later confided to me that Carmelo has always been his favorite player, ever since he can remember.) That first day of practice for the kid, Coach Willis decided to let the team scrimmage and he made sure that Morrison was on the team opposing Carmelo. It didn’t take long for Daymeon’s competitive nature to kick in and assume control, and he soon forgot who he was playing against.

The kid clearly outplayed a frustrated Cortez Ash in the scrimmage, and after Morrison and Carmelo went tumbling to the hardwood in a tangled mess pursuing a rebound, it was ‘Melo helping the kid to his feet and patting him on the back, with a reinforcing Attaboy kid. If you could have seen Daymeon’s face, it was priceless. I stole a quick glance at Coach Willis and I could read the lack of expression on his face, he was thrilled with what he saw.

From that moment forward, Carmelo aggressively tutored the kid. He never stopped talking and teaching and explaining and the kid just absorbed every word like water-to-a sponge. There was noticeable daily progress. I will admit…it’s an astounding transformation to witness.

Damn, my glass is empty again! I need to take a break for a bit from alcohol, so I search deep in the back of the drawers of my desk and after a moment or two, I find what I’m looking for, a mini humidor accented with gold inlay. I take one of the expensive cigars, a gift from former Governor Jeb Bush, clip the end and light it up. I don’t smoke often, but I really enjoy a good cigar at the right time, and now is one of those times. The flavorful goodness of the Cuban tobacco cascades and rolls over my taste buds and then smoothly flows from my lips in an aggressive stream of smoke. Very, very nice...

Carmelo has even taken Daymeon home after daily workouts or home games to his luxurious rented home in a posh suburb of Orlando. His wife La La and children just adore him.

Slowly and surely, Coach Willis has increased Morrison’s roll with the club and amazingly, on March 28th, 19 year old Daymeon Morrison made his 1st start of his short NBA career. Just over four weeks ago this kid was out of professional basketball. In his two starts so far, the kid has averaged 9.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in just 23 minutes on the floor. It’s a ton of responsibility to place in a teenager’s hands, but he handled it gracefully and capably. Already, Daymeon has equaled Ash’s court production, more efficiently, utilizing less minutes. And more surprisingly, the kid is already a stronger man-to-man defender than Ash could ever hope to be.

Morrison confuses me. I can’t, for the life of me, reasonably project what his ceiling will be in this league. If I had to guess, I’d say a capable, journeyman player who is good enough to play everyday, but not good enough to constantly be on the lookout for a better replacement. But maybe he’s just a quick flash-in-the pan star of the week who’ll be just a memory next season. I’m usually rather accurate projecting players; I don’t have my usual confidence with Daymeon.

After my night with Marlene, I decided to contact Nina, both professionally and personally. The team sent her a regretful letter, along with legal separation paperwork that needed to be signed and notarized. I also authorized a check cut for the amount of her salary for three months. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

I included a personal note, short and too the point, but heartfelt all the same.

Dear Nina, I was sorry to hear you’re leaving the team. Home games will not be the same without you supporting the team. We never had a chance to speak after New Year’s Eve. I felt it important for you to understand I truly enjoyed the time I spent with you and I’ve rarely ever felt so comfortable or honest with another person than I did that night. I know you understand what I’m saying, you were there. If you are in Orlando, please call me and you always have a place to stay.

I signed my name and included a business card with my private number scrawled on the back. What can I say…she struck a nerve with me and I can’t really identify why…it just is.

So now we head into April and the remaining nine regular season games and then the playoffs, it should be very fascinating. I believe Coach Willis is planning to let Morrison continue starting at center the rest of the regular season. I guess how he performs over the next 19 days will dictate who gets to start in the playoffs.
Rasmuth

Postby Myles Nelson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Nice little bit about Melo and Daymeon, I'm sure NYK would love that kind of leadership from him today.
Writer of Heading to the Big Easy (DDSPB3), Rising to the Top of the Pac-12 (DDSCB2), and Motor City Basketball: Restoring the Piston's Glory (DDSPB2).
Myles Nelson

Postby Rasmuth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Orlando Magic games for April 2020 (end of the regular season)

Game #74) Lakers @ Orlando, W 117-70 (42-32)
POG - Kenny Horton- 17p, 3a, 10r, 2 blocks, 3 steals
Daymeon Morrison- 19p & 9r in just 22 minutes
Carmelo Anthony- 16 & 6r
(Awesome home blowout of the Lakers, this is the kid's breakout game in the NBA, perhaps serving notice for the future)

Game #75) Orlando @ Boston, L 88-104 (42-33)
POG - Marco Harris- 26p, 4a, 14r
Carmelo Anthony- 22p & 6r
Iman Shumpert- 16p, 4a, 5r in 19 minutes
(Orlando came out of the gate strong in this game and gave it away the 2nd half)

Game #76) Orlando @ New York, L 101-122 (42-34)
POG - Terrance Ross- 23p, 7a, 7r, 4 steals
Iman Shumpert- 22p, 3a, 7r in 26 minutes
(There was nothing I wanted more than to win this in the Big Apple, it just didn't happen)

Game #77) Charlotte @ Orlando, W 109-84 (43-34)
POG - Carmelo Anthony- 19p, 7a, 8r
Ryan Anderson- 26p & 3r
(Nothing like a 25 point win for the home town crowd on the verge of the playoffs!)

Game #78) Orlando @ Toronto, W 111-96 (44-34)
POG - Goran Dragic- 22p, 9a, 4 steals
(Solid win on the road)

Game #79) Orlando @ Indiana, L 95-112 (44-35)
POG - Nick Green- 32p & 4r
Kenny Horton- 24p, 3a, 4r
(typical Magic type road loss)

Game #80) Detroit @ Orlando, W 119-95 (45-35)
POG - Goran Dragic- 36p, 7a, 3r
Ryan Anderson- 21p & 13r
(Magic cruise at home and tie last years win total for season)

Game #81) Washington @ Orlando, W 102-88 (46-35)
POG - Ryan Anderson- 25p & 11r
Kenny Horton- 20p & 5r
(Another easy home win and Magic exceed last years win total)

Game #82) Orlando @ Houston, W 109-93 (47-35)
POG - Iman Shumpert- 20p, 12a, 4r, 3 steals
(Magic close out the regular season with a huge road win, Iman Shumpert stole the show, starting for the injured Goran Dragic)

Regular season is over.
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:36 am

I just finished a phone call with my father; he called to congratulate the team on a fine season and despite my uneasiness, I guess I need to admit; overall this team had a successful year. I haven’t spoken to the Magic’s owner yet, but I expect he’ll be thrilled with my performance this season. I told him we’d make the playoffs and I’d only spend 10-15 million over the salary cap. He warned me to be careful with his money, but he was fine with those goals for the team.

Well, we certainly made the playoffs, we are the 4th seed in the East and the Magic fans and local media are on cloud nine. Even national media outlets are praising this team and in turn, my performance also. I’m actually looking forward to my meeting with Dick Amstar. He hasn’t said anything to me all season regarding the team’s fiscal expenditures, but we are over $4.3 million under the cap, and we improved two wins over the previous season. In the back of my mind I’m already debating who I’m going to take on my bonus vacation this year to the Caymans. On one hand there is Marlene and I know she’d love to go, plus I know we'd have an amazing time. One the other hand, there is Keira Knightley. She came to town in early April in conjunction with the Lakers and we sat together behind the Magic bench, for the whole world to see…and see they did. Pictures and video of us were plastered all over the internet and media outlets around the world. Keira recently appeared on The Tonight Show and when questioned, she admitted we are dating.

Marlene obviously knows about Keira and true to form, she doesn’t seem bothered much by it. We still spend plenty of time together, except when I’m away on the road, or Keira is in town. Keira, on the other hand, has no clue whatsoever about Marlene and I don’t know how she would react if she knew I was also sleeping regularly with her. Keira and I haven’t discussed the nature or rules of our relationship as of yet and while the relationship has been physical right from the beginning, neither of us know what the other expects or even wants. Keira is just one year removed from a messy and very public divorce and when we first slept together, that night in L.A. when we met, she did mention not to expect anything beyond that night. But that one night has now turned into an irregular relationship for three months. I have true feelings for her, just like Marlene, but my track record regarding feelings is not good. I just don’t understand or trust my feelings at all. But I do know, at some point or another we’re going to have to communicate on this very subject.

I’ve been debating all season about the future of Ryan Anderson with our club. He’s been the best player in a Magic uniform since 2012 and he led our team again this season in scoring. Though his numbers are down a bit, everyone seems to agree this is more a product of the team’s balanced attack than any decline in skills. He’s in the last year of his contract and at 31 years of age, I wondered if the money I’d have to pay to keep him could perhaps be utilized better at this point in time.

But watching him throughout season, I became more and more convinced that I should try to keep him in Orlando for a few more years if the price is right. It’s hard to let go of a player who’s scored 12,647 points in a Magic uniform. One evening recently, we had dinner, discussed some things and after dealing with his manager, we ironed out a contract extension for 3 more years at $9.257 million per year. I explained to him my hope to land one big free agent during the off season to presumably put this team over the top and he was willing to come down in price to stay with us. He and his family now have deep roots in this community and I’m extremely grateful for his loyalty to us and the Magic fans.

So now it’s on to round one of the playoffs, and for us, the Cleveland Cavaliers. There is only one roster concern as we head into this 1st series. Goran Dragic is down after tweaking his back and missed the last game of the regular season. Until that missed game, Dragic had started all previous 81 games of this season and was on the court over 2600 minutes. Talk about bad timing! The team physician expects these back spasms will cost him some more games and perhaps the whole 1st series against Cleveland. It’s up to Iman Shumpert to step up and fill Dragic’s shoes in the starting lineup. He’s certainly capable; the team needs him now more than ever.

Here are the eight teams who qualified for the playoffs in the Eastern Conference and they’re leading scorers:

Atlanta Hawks 52-30 SG Marcus Thornton 22.1 ppg
New York Knicks 52-30 PF Colin DeLord 19.1 ppg
Philadelphia 76’ers 49-33 PF Reggie Clancy 19.1 ppg
Orlando Magic 47-35 PF Ryan Anderson 16.9 ppg
Cleveland Cavaliers 45-37 SG Bradley Beal 24.7 ppg
Charlotte Bobcats 45-37 PG Kemba Walker 21.6 ppg
Brooklyn Nets 44-38 C Brook Lopez 18.8 ppg
Boston Celtics 43-39 SG Mike Buchanan 23.5 ppg

Here’s how the playoff situation developed in the Western Conference:

New Orleans Hornets 67-15 SG James Harden 19.3 ppg
Minnesota T-Wolves 57-25 PF Kevin Love 26.5 ppg
Denver Nuggets 54-28 PF Kenneth Faried 20.0 ppg
Utah Jazz 49-33 PF Derrick Favors 18.3 ppg
Sacramento Kings 49-33 C DeMarcus Cousins 19.6 ppg
Golden State Warriors 47-35 PG Stephen Curry 22.1 ppg
L.A. Clippers 42-40 SF Lebron James 24.6 ppg
Portland Trailblazers 40-42 PG Clifford Diame 20.1 ppg

I stand up from my desk, stretch my arms above my head, and then grabbing my glass, I finish my drink. In a motion that is so well rehearsed, I turn to the bar behind my desk and fill it again, adding two more ice cubes in the process.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it really did work out to be a decent season, I just have such a hard time accepting things for what they are. This team, the coaching staff and the players worked hard all season and in most cases, they exceeded most pre-season predictions and expectations. But even with the playoffs starting tomorrow, I have some ideas brewing in my mind, moves I may try to make for next season.

But I think for now, I need to concentrate on what’s directly in front of me and this team at this moment. I hear the faint drone of the shower shut off from the other room and a short time later, the sound of light footsteps on the floor. I lean back in my chair, drink in my hand and I’m reminded yet again….concentrate on right now…don’t rush the future, especially when that future will be deeply impacted by the results of what is soon to happen.

“I thought you might join me in the shower,” she said in a raised voice from the other room, pulling me from my introspective thoughts.

“Sorry, Keira,” I said. “I was just having a drink and looking at some reports from around the league.”

“Will you pour me one, a strong one?” she inquired with a smile as she appeared in the doorway, wearing nothing but a towel on her head. She’s been in town nearly three weeks now and is currently in between movie roles. I have no desire for her to leave; she's welcome to stay as long as she wishes. She informed me early on during the visit that the divorce was behind her and it was time for her to move on and enjoy life again, without remorse or regret. I wasn’t sure what that meant initially but her sexual appetite has exploded. She’s constantly ready, able and willing. It’s been a joyous visit. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought to myself: I’m having sex with Keira Knightley, but I find I just can’t help it.

My eyes pour over her nakedness, her beauty undeniable still. Her body has never been ravaged by pregnancy. I know there have been rumors through the years of eating disorders and such, but I can vouch from personal experience, they are 100% false. She can eat like a pig yet manage to remain remarkably trim. I know she works out, but she’s not a fanatic in that regard. She confided to me one night, in between ravenous mouthfuls of pasta, that she has the perfect metabolism and I guess it must be true.

“You bet, babe,” I answer, as my eyes linger a bit longer, devouring her inviting form.

It’s obvious she’s enjoying my attention and she poses seductively in the doorway as I approach her with her drink. “Are you ready for the playoffs, Crash?” she asks in a sultry, throaty voice, just above a whisper.

My lips move in towards her neck, I can see gooseflesh emerging all over her. Just before I gently touch the nape of her neck with my tongue and lips, I say: “I’m ready for a lot of things,”
Rasmuth

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports