Wherever it goes

Postby Rasmuth » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:08 am

2020 Eastern Conference Playoffs, Round 1- Orlando Magic Results

Game #1) Cleveland @ Orlando, W 102-95 (Magic up 1-0)
POG - Ryan Anderson- 23p, 2a, 12r, 3 steals
Iman Shumpert- 14p, 8a, 6r, 4 steals
(Cleveland wastes a huge performance from Kyrie Irving, who shot a scorching 18-27 from the field, with a total of 46 points. The Magic featured a balanced attack with six players in double figures.)

Game #2) Cleveland @ Orlando, W 113-96 (Magic move to 2-0)
POG - Iman Shumpert- 20p, 7a, 4r, 4 steals
Carmelo Anthony- 24p, 2a, 6r
Kenny Horton- 21p, 7a, 4r
(Magic feature 3 starters with 20+ points, cruising to a 17 point win. Kyrie Irving and Bradley Beal scored 26 & 23 respectively for the Cavaliers. Shumpert and Anthony are making the most of their opportunity in the starting lineup. Series travels to Cleveland for game 3.)
***Magic PF Ryan Anderson left the court in obvious distress late in this contest. Later tests revealed a serious strained abdominal. He could miss 2-3 weeks.)***

Game #3) Orlando @ Cleveland, L 84-99 (Series is now 2-1, Magic)
POG - Bradley Beal- 23 p, 6a, 6r, 4 blk
(Magic strike early, going up 32-25 after the 1st. They faded as the game progressed and lost by 15. Kyrie Irving scored 26 for the Cavaliers)

Game #4) Orlando @ Cleveland, L 97-121 (Series deadlocked at 2)
POG - Kyrie Irvin- 30p, 9a, 5r
Kenny Horton- 24p
(The Magic could never mount a serious attack and thus fell far short, losing by 24. Bradley Beal and Reggie Everett scored 23 & 22 respectively for Cleveland.)

Game #5) Cleveland @ Orlando, W 118-100 (Orlando edges ahead 3-2 in series)
POG - Iman Shumpert- 21p, 6a, 3r, 3stl
(Magic shot 53% from the field and never struggled with the comfortable home court win. Six magic players scored double figures while Bradley Beal scored 30 in a losing cause.)

Game #6) Orlando @ Cleveland, L 88-100 (Cavaliers send series to a game 7!)
POG - Bradley Beal- 26p, 4a, 5r, 4blk, 3stl
(Amare Stoudamire, filling in for injured Ryan Anderson, led Magic scorers with 17 points as they fell short of closing out the series in Cleveland. Magic made a late run in this contest but fell short.)

***Game #7) Cleveland @ Orlando, W 94-83 (Magic win 1st round series, 4 games to 3!)
POG - Carmelo Anthony- 21p, 2a, 2r
Louis Williams- 15p, 4a, 3r in 24 minutes.
(Veterans Carmelo Anthony and Louis Williams, 30 years combined NBA experience, provided the Magic an offensive boost, in a game otherwise plagued by poor shooting and scoring woes. A stiff Magic defense held the Cavaliers to 36% from the floor and Orlando outlasted Cleveland to advance to the 2nd round of the Eastern Conference Playoffs.)

Orlando faces the Boston Celtics in a best of seven 2nd round playoff series. The Celtics swept Atlanta in the first round.
Check out my music...you might be surprised.
http://www1.indiemusicworks.com/Rasmuth/
Rasmuth

Postby Myles Nelson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Home team won every game of that round. Kyrie + Beal must be one hell of a backcourt.
Writer of Heading to the Big Easy (DDSPB3), Rising to the Top of the Pac-12 (DDSCB2), and Motor City Basketball: Restoring the Piston's Glory (DDSPB2).
Myles Nelson

Postby Rizzo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:59 pm

Seems like Ryan Anderson suffered the same injury that Chris Bosh did in the 2012 NBA playoffs. Hopefully he comes back in time to keep the season alive.
Rizzo

Postby Rasmuth » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:32 am

(ESPN Sportscenter broadcast, May 11th 2020)

anchorwoman
- This just in from the NBA playoffs, the Orlando Magic pounded the Boston Celtics tonight, to the tune of 110-84, to grab a 3 games to 2 advantage in their hard fought series....ESPN welcomes former NBA player for 14 seasons, current NBA tv analyst, and Duke Alum, Mike Gminski.....

...Mike what is your take on this Magic squad?

Mike Gminski - This team is one of those rare teams that has bonded and jelled to a maximum degree, so to speak. And because of this, and other intangibles, this team is on the verge of taking this 2nd round series against the 8th seeded Celtics, who have much more talent on their roster, yet have grossly underachieved all season.

Anchorwoman - And what is the Magic's....magic secret been this season...how have they managed to achieve such a turn-around in success, only a few seasons removed from the embarrassing debacle they once were?

Mike Gminski - Well, Sue...it's a combination of things, but when you really analyze this team, it all points to the surprising success of General Manager, Crash Davis. Everyone remembers his disastrous experience with the New York Knicks, and most people, myself included, couldn't believe he actually got another shot at this level. Magic owner, Dick Amstar, took a huge gamble with Davis...and now just 4 years later, they are one of the upper echelon teams in the NBA, especially in the Eastern Conference.

Anchorwoman - Tonight we saw six magic players in double figures, led by SG Kenny Horton's 20 points and 8 rebounds. In a nutshell, this game really typifies the Orlando Magic, right Mike?

Mike Gminski - Nice observation, Sue and you couldn't be more correct. This team isn't a super-duper star with role players surrounding him, it's a truly a collection of players who know their role with the club and literally any night, any given player could be the player-of-the-game. Magic scoring leader Ryan Anderson had the lowest point per game total in the NBA this season for a player leading his club.

The Magic have a very dynamic pair of guards with Goran Dragic and Kenny Horton and both can score, pass and rebound capably at their position. Ryan Anderson has been a prolific scorer ever since he's been in the league and 17 year veteran Carmelo Anthony has been everything this club could have expected...solid role player who still has plenty of game, respected team Captain and mentor to the younger players, especially 19 year old Daymeon Morrison.

Anchorwoman - What other aspects of this team do you like, Mike?

Mike Gminski - They have a solid bench...veteran guards Iman Shumpert and Louis Williams are solid and don't make mistakes. Morrison seems to be almost improving daily and despite their declining skills, Oden and Stoudamire, work hard and never embarrass themselves.

Plus they are coached well. Long-time NBA man Lawrence Willis was a surprise hire by Crash Davis at head coach 2 seasons ago, and now Davis looks like a genius with that hire. They share a vision for the club and seem to be on the same page as far as how to achieve it. Team insiders say this club is harmonious beyond any realistic expectations. No one can seem to remember a single altercation between players the whole season and when you look at these men on the bench, generally they are sincerely smiling and seemingly focused on one thing, and one thing only...winning.

Anchorwoman - Well it certainly seems that Magic GM Crash Davis's reputation has been on a meteoric rise all season long, and now with a decent run in the playoffs, it continues it's rapid ascent....

....Turning to other NBA playoff news.......etc, etc, etc....
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 am

There’s a worn placard that’s sits on my desk. It reads: I don’t have the time to be patient.

It’s an inside joke between my father and I. He gave it to me when I was in high school. I don’t even remember now when specifically he gave it to me. I don’t think it was during a holiday or birthday, he just decided one day to have it made. I have always been notoriously impatient, especially so when I was younger. When I coveted something and needed to work for it or just couldn’t stand waiting any longer, for whatever it might have been, my father would always extol the value of patience. “Patience is a virtue,” he’d always say, so serious in tone and manner, like he’d achieved some higher level of existence on this earth because of it.

One day when I was out of proverbial patience, when I’d had enough waiting (for whatever it was I so wanted), I exploded with the now famous quote that is so legendary in my family. “I DON’T HAVE THE TIME TO BE PATIENT!” It's stupid when you really think about it, but it's what happened.

I’ll never forget how still and quiet everyone became at the dinner table. And then the fits of laughter; it carried on for hours it seemed. Even I understood the folly of my outburst. Of course, I still was grounded for such insubordination at the dinner table, but the legend lives on to this day.

I reached out and ran my fingers across the cheap fake wood grain of the placard, tears running freely down my cheeks, some landing on my calendar desk blotter, eventually absorbed by the paper, and others landing with audible plops on the wood surface of my desk. I reached for my drink but I had to place it back down, my hand was shaking so violently.

The Magic stunned the Celtics tonight in Boston, 116-96 and decisively dispatched the Celtics in their Eastern Conference 2nd round series, 4 games to 2. Despite the fact our team was the higher ranked playoff seed, most insiders never expected us to win this series. Most experts warned our team had over-achieved to get this far and while those same insiders agreed we were most certainly the most improved team in the NBA this season, it was just too much to expect of the Magic to advance to the Conference Championship. Too much too soon, everyone seemed to think. Even owner Dick Amstar seemed to buy into this theory. Don’t get me wrong, he was thrilled with every aspect of the team’s performance this season, from our place in the standings, skyrocketing attendance and subsequent merchandising revenue, to my frugal use of his money. So much so in fact, after our first round win against Cleveland, he privately handed me a $2 million bonus check. “You don’t deserve to be the lowest paid GM in the league,” he said proudly, shaking my hand. “Hell of a job, kid.”

The flight home from Beantown, or should I clarify, the party home to Orlando was raucous and exuberant, and to say the booze flowed freely would certainly be accurate. The party was on me and they knew it. After 82 regular season games, a hard fought seven game first round series versus Cleveland and now this, a six game drubbing of Boston, they undeniably earned it and deserved it.

I sat near the back of the jet alone, drinking of course, just watching the team and related personnel relax and enjoy themselves. Quite a few drinks into the morning Carmelo quietly drifted back and slid into the seat next to me, but not without a slight wince. I knew he was dealing with a very sore back and the other mundane aches and pains of a 17 year pro career. The post-game and staff medical reports reported this information to me daily. To his credit, he never once complained and I chose not to discuss it with him. He’s a proud man and it’s hard enough dealing with the decline and end of a Hall of Fame career, without my insensitive pestering.

“Hey boss, great night, isn’t it?” Carmelo said happily.

“Great morning, too,” I answered, with a comfortable chuckle.

I must admit, it’s a much different situation for us the second time around. In New York I couldn’t wait to unload his salary, now I’m attempting to formulate an enticing career package to essentially lure him into our organization, if he’ll have us. It’ll have to intrigue his interest; he certainly doesn’t need the money. My thought process at this point is to create a new position with the team that will work under Coach Willis, but report directly and privately to me, among other things.

Carmelo downed a healthy slug of beer, stifling a beer burp before he spoke. “I won that championship back with the ‘Cuse in ’03, and it was great and all, but it wasn’t like this.”

“Really, how’s that?” I asked.

Carmelo hesitated. “It’s hard to explain,” he finally said. “It’s just that the season is so long and grueling. Do you know we’ve played 95 games so far?”

“Indeed I do,” I answered, nodding my head knowingly. “And do you know what else?” I said with a small hesitation for effect. “You didn’t miss a single one of them.”

He looked at me for a few seconds, eye to eye, man to man. I knew what he would say before he said it. “There’s something else about this team, its special. I’ve never been with a bunch of guys who get along so well, on and off the court. The only word I can think that describes it is uncanny.

I chucked with amusement. For months I’d been trying to put my finger on the exact word to describe this Orlando Magic team. My frustration was finally at end.

“That,” I said to Carmelo with approval, “is actually an excellent word to describe this team. Better than any I could come up with.”

We sat in silence, both watching the party. Daymeon Morrison took notice to us sitting in the back of the plane and started waving to us enthusiastically and bellowing loudly over the blaring music: “Carrrrrrmmmmmmeeeeeeelllllllllllloooooooo.” The kid wasn’t old enough to legally drink but obviously that hadn’t stopped some of his teammates from smuggling him some beer.

We both lifted our arms to return waves but the kid already turned his attention elsewhere. Carmelo turned to me and I could tell by the tone in his eyes, he was sober and serious. “Worst season of my career,” he said somberly, “if you go by the numbers.”

I finished my drink and a server promptly appeared from nowhere and replaced my empty glass with a full one. “I disagree, Carmelo,” I said, shaking my head, grabbing my drink and stirring it with my left index finger. “I watched you play every minute this season. I would say this season was your best of your career.”

He looked at me and I knew he understood both my words and meaning. I could see the struggle playing out in his mind. It’s hard when you’re whole life has been based on numbers. Gone was the 25 point a game seasons, replaced by a mere 11.6 point per game performance.

“Look at the team,” I said pointing to the happy, partying faces. “Look at everything we’ve accomplished this season as a team.” I looked at him earnestly. “Without you, none of this happens. You’re leadership, accountability, knowledge and play on the court set the tone for this whole team, Carmelo. I brought you here because I’ve seen this in you for a while now.”

“I still want to play my one more,” he said, referring to the last season of his contract. “But,” he added hesitantly, “I’d like to stay on with the team somehow after that. I like how you do things.”

My insides were jumping for joy; my outside manner was calm and collected. “Carmelo, you have my word we’ll figure out a place for you with the Magic."

Carmelo smiled and we shook hands. “How come you never call me “Melo?” he inquired.

Here you are not “Melo,” I said simply. “Here, you are Captain.”

He stared at me silently for a few seconds and I could see him warming to my comment. “Bring on Booklyn,” he finally said.

“Bring on Brooklyn,” I answered with a slight smile. We shook hands again and he returned to the party.

The plane landed just as the sun began to rise and the team dragged and limped themselves to waiting shuttles, cars and limousines.

I just entered my office when the phone rang and I guess because of the hour, I rushed to answer it. Normally I’d let the call go to voicemail. I heard my mother’s voice on the other end, surprisingly calm and normal sounding, in retrospect.

My father died this morning. He woke in the early darkness and complained he wasn’t feeling well. On his way to the bathroom he collapsed to the hardwood floors. A true basketball man would never have carpets; he’d say when I was a boy, much to my mother’s chagrin.

The doctor said he was dead before he hit the floor.

The doctor said it was probably a massive coronary.

He was only 66 years old.

He was my Dad.

I heard a key scratch in the lock of my office door and suddenly Marlene was in the room. She stopped in her tracks when she saw me. Maybe she thought I’d be asleep or maybe it’s because I looked like complete ****, I never asked her.

“Crash, I heard on ESPN…baby, I’m so sorry.”

I do remember thinking; Why the hell are you up so damn early. It's funny what can run through you mind at any single moment. I don’t remember standing up, maybe I already was. Suddenly I found myself wrapped in her arms and I cried like I never cried before. Less than an hour later I was back on the team plane to Connecticut.
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 pm

2020 Eastern Conference Playoffs, Round 2- Orlando Magic Results

Game #1) Boston @ Orlando, L 93-99 (Celtics up 1-0)
POG - Marco Harris- 23p, 17r, 2 steals
Kenny Horton - 18p, 8r, 2a
(Boston takes early 13 point lead, Magic charged back outscoring the Celtics 31-7 in the 2nd quarter. Boston took charge second half and convincingly handled the Magic. Three Celtic players scored 20+ points. Tough home playoff loss.)

Game #2) Boston @ Orlando, W 95-89 (Series tied at 1)
POG - Ryan Anderson- 18p, 9r
(Before the game Ryan Anderson announced he was well enough to play, earlier than the original timetable set for his return. The team doctor reluctantly agreed and allowed him to suit up. In dramatic Willis Reed fashion, Anderson pushed through the pain and set the tone for this home win. The press had a field day with this story and Anderson became a world-wide story overnight.)

Game #3) Orlando @ Boston, W 116-90 (Magic lead 2-1)
POG - Ryan Anderson- 20 p, 8r, 2 steals

Carmelo Anthony- 17p, 7a
(Boston took charge early, staking a 9 point lead after the 1st quarter. Carmelo and company took over thereafter with 6 Magic players in double-figures. Shumpert and Ty Braun were solid off the bench and Anderson continued his remarkable efforts following his injury.)

Game #4) Orlando @ Boston, L 88-106 (Series tied at 2)
POG - Marco Harris- 27p, 10r
Kenny Horton- 24p, 4r
(Boston opened an early lead and never looked back. Doug Simmons chipped in 21 points for the Celtics. Horton was the only Magic player to shoot well the whole game.)

Game #5) Boston @ Orlando, W 110-84 (Magic up 3-2)
POG - Kenny Horton- 20p, 8r, 2a
(Solid home win, Orlando outscored Celtics all four quarters. Swarming Magic defense stymied Celtic shooters all evening. Anthony and Shumpert distributed the ball to the tune of 8 and 7 assists respectively.)

Game #6) Orlando @ Boston, W 116-96 (Magic wins series 4-2!)
POG - Kenny Horton- 22p, 3r, 3a, 3 steals
Goran Dragic- 17p, 9a
(Stunning road win to close out the Celtics as six Magic players scored in double figures and each player on the team concentrated on their role in the game. Horton hit five 3-point bombs, breaking the back of the Celtics, Anthony went to the foul line 10 times, Morrison and Anderson rebounded effectively and Dragic distributed the rock. Shumpert scored 18 off the bench including four 3-point buckets.)

Orlando faces the Brooklyn Nets for the Eastern Conference Championship! The upstart Nets upended Philadelpha 4-2.

In the West, #1 seed New Orleans takes on the #7 seed Clippers for the Western Conference Championship. L.A. knocked off Denver 4-3 and the Hornets eliminated Sacramento.
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 am

Dad was cremated per his wishes. The church service was bittersweet to say the least. Gathering to say goodbye to a loved one is horrible, but seeing so many people who's lives he touched was amazing and good for the soul.

Magic owner Dick Amstar flew the whole team and anyone else in the organization who wanted to attend, up to Connecticut for the service. The team jet was full and virtually everyone showed to pay respects to my father. He'd visited Orlando often enough and always had full access to the team and facilities. Everyone liked him and everyone wanted to say goodbye. I can't tell you how much it meant to me.

The biggest surprise for me was Daymeon Morrison. I knew my dad had followed his high school career closely, but what I didn't know was that my father had coached Daymeon on a personal level starting during his freshman season at Masuk High School. It wasn't a formal arrangement, it just sort of happened, a chance meeting at Wolfe Park where Daymeon was practicing his jump shot.

An hour after I arrived home following the dreadful phone call, Daymeon showed up and after tearful hugs with my mother and younger sister, he shook my hand and offered sincere condolences. At first I though his eyes were red from being hungover following the celebration on the plane the night before, but I quickly realized he'd been crying.

Later, after the full extent of their friendship was explained to me, I couldn't help but wonder.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked the boy.

He shrugged. "Your dad told me not to, he didn't want there to be any perceived favoritism by the team, whether true or not."

That was so dad, I thought. Turns out Daymeon even spent some time living with my family when his mother spent some time in rehab and later in prison. I mentally kicked myself for allowing such distance between me and my family.

At the service, many people spoke, but it was Daymeon who brought the whole congregation to tears, including the team. It was a wonderful, heartfelt gesture and it became clear to me that Daymeon thought of my father as his father too. He never knew his real dad, who was tragically killed in a military training accident when Daymeon was just 14 months old. By sheer chance, my dad ended up filling a role he so desperately needed at a crucial time in his life, the teenage years. Daymeon wanted everyone to know and truly understand, my father didn't just make him a better basketball player, he made him a better person too. For anyone whoever thought this kid was unintelligent and stupid, I wish they could have heard him speak. It was as eloquent and insightful as any speech or talk I've ever heard.

The team and I had to rush off later that day, as the following evening was the opening game in the Eastern Conference Championship series with the Brooklyn Nets, in Orlando. I had planned on staying a few more days, but my mother wouldn't hear of it. We didn't argue, but I insisted I should stay for at least a few more days.

Finally she sat me down in the living room and took my hand. "Crash," she said calmly, "you need to be with your team."

"I need to be here too," I answered firmly.

I saw her eyes water, just a little bit. "He was so damn proud of you." She looked down and bit her lip as she valiantly fought breaking down. "That night....you know...before it happened...when you guys took down the Celtics. He was just so happy, strutting around the living room as the team was celebrating on the big screen tv. I knew they'd do it, he kept repeating over and over. The smile on his face was so big."

"But Mom," I said meekly

"But nothing, son," she said. "He loved you and he loved your team. He wants you there with them. We'll be watching and I know he will be too." She hesitated and grabbed a tissue from a box on the end table and dabbed the corners of her eyes. "Your father and I were married for 44 years and I know I made him happy."

I interrupted. "Of course you did, Mom."

"But," she said quietly, "you made him happy in a way I never could and he never stopped talking about you and what you were doing. I think in some ways, you are living the life that perhaps he dreamed of living. He loved basketball and he was an amazing player in his day. He was the big man on high school campus and a pretty good player in college too. He passed the love of the game to you and you took it to a level he never imagined. He was so proud and loved you so much, Crash. You know that."

I nodded, tears streaming down my face.

"He wants you with the team," she said softy, but firmly. I knew it was the end of the discussion.

I called Dick Amstar on my cell phone and asked him to hold the plane on the tarmac and he said he already was. The team was ready and waiting for me. I kissed my mother and sister and the hugs didn't seem enough, but I left. When I stepped out the door, waiting in the driveway in a Chevy Tahoe was Carmelo and Daymeon.

"Come on, boss," Carmelo yelled as Daymeon powered down the passenger side window. "The Nets are waiting for us in Orlando."

"Sweet ride, isn't it?" Daymeon said when I buckled my self into the spacious back seat.

"My Cadillac is sweeter," Carmelo commented as he backed the vehicle out of the driveway.

"What would you guys have done if I decided not to go?" I inquired. "The rest of the team is on the plane ready and waiting."

"We had a plan B," Daymeon said, and he held out his thumb in a hitchhiker manner.

"Seriously," I said, slightly annoyed. It was the General Manager part of my personality coming out.

"I knew you'd come," Carmelo said, never taking his eyes off the road.

"How could you know," I said. "Hell, I didn't even know."

Carmelo glanced in the rear-view mirror, I could see his eyes upon me. "Because," he said, "we're family too."

I couldn't help but crack a slight smile.

"Bring on Brooklyn," he said evenly.

"Bring on Brooklyn," I repeated

Daymeon glanced back at me and then to Carmelo. "Yea, bring on Brooklyn," he added, a grin plastered on his face.

I tried to put myself in his shoes. This 19 year old kid, only been on the roster a few months now, a whopping 25 NBA games under his belt, and already, he's sitting next to Carmelo Anthony and the Magic General Manager, getting ready to go to the 2020 Eastern Conference Finals. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, most likely, he's in the starting lineup. And still, he's smiling like he doesn't have a care in the world.

Uncanny, I couldn't help but think, uncanny.
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:28 am

I couldn't help but notice that the news of my fathers passing was all over the mainstream worldwide media, not just ESPN and the like. The fact that the whole team attended his funeral and the newly discovered Daymeon Morrison connection, it was hot stuff.

On national television, just before the game, Daymeon declared in a quick pre-game interview, the Magic were dedicating the game to my father. It couldn't have been more touching, except for the fact that Brook Lopez went crazy on us for 38 points and the Nets blew us out by 20. Ryan Anderson, his health dramatically improved by the 3 day layoff in between series, played well, scoring 21...but the rest of the team played poorly, both on offense and defense. Daymeon scored 9 points and snared 5 rebounds in 22 minutes, but Lopez torched him consistently and Morrison's youth and inexperience were painfully exposed by the Net center.

In a post-game interview, Magic Captain Carmelo Anthony clarified that the team was dedicating the whole championship series to my father, not just the first game.

Game #1) Brooklyn @ Orlando, L 97-117 (Nets go up 1-0)
POG - Brook Lopez- 38p, 6r, 3 steals
Ryan Anderson- 21p, 5r, 3 steals

The next night, May 16, 2020, The Magic bounced back at home and thumped the Nets 103-89. It was a team effort with 6 Magic players in double figures. Carmelo was brilliant, stepping up where he was needed and finished with 14 points and 9 rebounds. Goran Dragic also had 10 surprising rebounds and Daymeon added 13 points. Iman Shumpert came off the bench with 14 points and 7 assists.

Game #2) Brooklyn @ Orlando, W 103-89 (Series tied at 1)
POG - Carmelo Anthony- 14p, 9r, 3a

I was very proud of the team after this win. This was a prototypical Magic win in my book, a solid team effort both offensively and defensively. The team worked together on the court and each rose to the challenge, where and when they were needed.
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:45 am

***2020 Eastern Conference Championship***

Game #3) Orlando @ Brooklyn, L 99-116 (Nets up 2-1)
POG - Brook Lopez- 34p, 5r, 3a, 2 steals
Carmelo Anthony- 27p, 5r, 3 steals
(Series shifts to New York City with Magic wasting solid 27 point effort from Carmelo Anthony. Magic shoot dreadful 35.7% and lose by 17. Brook Lopez again dominates game for Brooklyn.)

Game #4) Orlando @ Brooklyn, W 113-111 (Series tied at 2!)
POG - Kenny Horton- 19p, 6a, 4r, 2 blk, 3 steals
Brook Lopez- 40p, 8r
(Brooklyn jumped out fast to an imposing 13 point lead at halftime. Orlando turned up the defensive pressure the 2nd half and Brooklyn shooters went cold and with 9.6 seconds left the game was tied at 111. The Magic worked quickly down the court and set up the last shot, a missed 3 pointer from sharpshooter Ryan Anderson. The shot ricocheted off the rim and fell into the hands of surprised Greg Oden, who alertly launched a rushed, yet surprisingly deft shot which bounced accurately off the backboard through the hoop. Super-slow motion replay clearly proved the ball was released and airborne with .01 still on the clock. It was the only field goal Oden shot in the 9 minutes he played. Carmelo Anthony limped off the court in the 3rd period in obvious pain. He was escorted to the dressing room, he didn't return.)
Rasmuth

Postby Rasmuth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:15 pm

It's 10:37am, the 20th of May, my sister's birthday. I already sent her a check for $1000 as a gift, but I need to make sure I text her a few times today, let her know I'm thinking about her. I worry about her and Mom now, almost constantly. I know they are all right financially, but I just can’t keep them from my mind.

Funny thing is…I really barely know my baby sister. She's 13 years younger than me and by the time she was in 4th grade, I was long gone, trying to make my way in the world. I made a mental note to fly her down to Orlando and spend some real quality time with her. I think it would be good for both of us to close the distance between us.

I’m proud of my sister, despite the separation that exists between us. With my financial help she attended Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Connecticut, then Brown University and already has secured a nice job doing books for a decent sized law firm. I used to wonder why she was still lived at home at 24, but now I had to admit, it’s a relief knowing she’s there for Mom, and in turn, Mom for her.

My thoughts eventually return to last nights thrilling last second victory over New Jersey. Greg Oden is the toast of the town and it's nice to see something good happen for this much maligned former #1 draft pick. Every NBA fan knows his story, and also the series of injuries that have derailed his once so promising career.

Nevertheless he's carved a serviceable NBA history as a solid bench player who can provide an occasional spark of offense along with solid rebounding and a very effective defensive presence. He's an important cog in the Magic machine and the nicest of people. And despite his injury prone label, he's played every single game the past 2 seasons for us; though I’m sure he’d love to have more minutes on the court.

My mind is overwhelmed this morning. I just can’t stay focused on one train of thought. Thoughts of my Dad constantly overwhelm me, no matter what I’m doing or thinking. The adrenaline rush of last nights incredible win is still lingering in my veins, I just can’t find deep sleep, and that isn’t helping either. And I’m worried how this team will handle Carmelo’s injury.

Eventually I make my way across to the bar and refresh my morning OJ, making sure to top it off with an ample splash of spiced rum. I find it to be the perfect morning drink when coffee just won’t do. Hell, lately I find it to be the most perfect drink most of the time, that is when whiskey just won't do it.

I catch my reflection in the mirror and it convinces me I should perhaps shower and shave, but an unexpected brisk knock on my door interrupts that thought. I didn't recognize the knock and when I opened the door, I was surprised to find Magic owner Dick Amstar standing in front of me, dressed to perfection in an impeccably tailored suit.

"Hey Dick," I said, more calmly than I actually felt. I couldn’t help but wonder if something might be wrong. "Come on in," I added. It occurred to me, he'd never been to my office before. I always went to his, located on the top floor of this 25-story downtown building, eight floors above me. In fact, he occupies the whole top floor. Amstar came from a family of old oil money, he was filthy rich. But he wasn't the prototypical mindless heir irreverently blowing through the family's fortune. Amstar Oil expanded from a small regional player to the #2 largest oil conglomerate in the world under his successful reign and Amstar Trucking vehicles are a fixture on highways and roads all across North America.

When his interest turned to acquiring a professional sports franchise emerged, the NBA was his quickest route to achieve that goal and certainly it didn’t hurt his social standing in the Orlando community, where he now stands as a pillar of Orlando high society.

Amstar is rather refreshing, as owners go, leaving the business of basketball to the executives he hires to manage the franchise. He once explained to me: I know oil, that's my business; I'll leave the basketball business to people like you.

When he bought the team, Amstar didn’t like or even truly understand the game, but to his credit, whatever his motives for buying the team, Amstar is now a rabid fan of the NBA and his beloved Magic. He attends every home game and makes certain to walk the court during pre-game, mingling with players, fans and media. The citizens of Orlando love him. He’s an integral part of the business and social landscape. In many ways, he is the face of Orlando these days.

Amstar entered my office and after a quick, expressionless scan of the room, he drifted to the wall decorated with my personal basketball photos.

“Can I get you something to drink, Dick?” I asked after draining my rum and orange juice.

“Sure,” he answered, not taking his eyes off the wall, slowly and methodically moving from photo to photo. “Just pour me whatever you’re having.”

I arched an eyebrow in surprise, but didn’t question. After all, he’s the boss. After mixing the drinks I walked over and handed him his glass.

“You certainly have a keen eye behind the camera,” he stated honestly. “Someday you should publish a book of your basketball photos. These are quite good. I think NBA fans would eat this stuff up, pay a pretty penny for something of this kind of personal nature, especially if you wrote anecdotes or stories about each photo.”

I’d never given my photos much thought, though I did find the concept somewhat intriguing. I’d have to give the idea more thought, later, down the road.

“How many photos are here?” he said, gesturing towards the wall.

I hesitated, trying to remember the last time I’d counted. “Seventy-six I believe,” I answered tentatively, “though I rotate photos in and out periodically." So few make the cut,[I] I thought.[/I]I literally have tens of thousands of images saved on DVD and backup drives.

“I especially like this one,” Amstar said, pointing to a 12 x 18 inch image of Carmelo, his arm draped around Daymeon Morrison, both of their faces beaming with broad, natural smiles. The 17 year veteran and the teenage rookie, together, both covered with the glistening sweat of NBA action. In my opinion this picture captured the pure essence of this year’s Magic club, the uncanny relationship between all the players on this team. The picture was my latest addition to the wall and it was one of my favorites too.

I smiled as I remembered that night. It was Daymeon’s first NBA game; the kid was a bundle of explosive energy overwhelmed with excitement and nervousness. When he made the bucket it was such a huge relief to the kid, you could see his confidence begin to grow from that moment.

After a slight hesitation, I spoke. “I took that one just after the kid made his first NBA basket. If you remember he was fouled on the shot too,”

“Missed the free throw, as I recall” Amstar said as he turned, smiling. “That kid has certainly captured the hearts of our fans, especially youth and teenagers. Do you know he has the second fastest selling jersey behind Carmelo’s captains’ jersey? Hard to believe he’s just 19 years old. ”

I shook my head, amazed how someone’s fortune could change so swiftly. Daymeon even recently appeared on some live kid’s award program on Nickelodeon. I’ll admit it’s not my cup of tea, but it was funny seeing the kid get soaked with nasty green goo.

Amstar raised his glass and downed a healthy swallow of his drink. A slight expression of surprise crossed his face. “Ah yes,” he said thoughtfully, the slightest of southern accent detectable in his phrasing. “I’ve never understood why this combination is so criminally ignored in our country.” He took another long drink, draining his glass, the ice clinking as he finished. “Don’t know if you are aware of this,” he said, handing his glass to me, clearly wanting a refill. “They call this drink a Cuban Screw, and I can attest from personal experience in Havana, the two words are a perfect match for each other.” He turned to me and clicked twice between his teeth and winked.

I nearly coughed while sipping my drink. He’d never shown anything less than a professional manner in our dealings, except for my father’s funeral, where he was surprisingly genuine and dispirited.

“You’ve been to Cuba?” I asked, a bit in awe.

Amstar nodded. “I have certain connections down there, strictly business mind you. I don’t care for the politics and corruption much. I even met Fidel once and to be honest, I wasn’t impressed. He seemed a bit of a self-absorbed oaf to me, but to each…his own.”

I’ll admit…I was a bit stunned. “That’s amazing,” I finally said.

A broad smile crossed his face. “I’ve never been anywhere else like it. Oh the stories I could tell, but that’s for another time and another place.” Amstar’s face suddenly turned serious. “Listen Crash, I’m terrible sorry again about your father, he was a good man.”

“He certainly was” I managed to say, after polishing off my drink. I turned to the bar and refilled both drinks, a bit stronger this time.

The sting of my father’s death still stabbed painfully, just hearing him mentioned filled me with anguish. I wouldn’t show it outwardly, but I certainly felt it.

The sad thing is he would have relished last night’s game, especially the second half charge by Orando to snatch the game from the confident Nets. He would have loved the poetic irony of Greg Oden’s last second heroics and the resulting small taste of redemption for Oden and his sadly disappointing career. He would have loved telling anyone who would listen that Kenny Horton is the best player in the NBA that nobody knows about, or pays attention to. (I do agree with that statement.)

I handed Amstar his refreshed drink and he promptly swallowed a mouthful and cleared his throat. “Did you know that I lunch or dinner with your father a dozen or so times since you’ve worked for this organization? I even had dinner at your family’s home in Connecticut one night after I concluded some business in New York City. I truly enjoyed his company. We were cut from the same cloth so to speak and being from the same generation, we just had a lot in common.”

I must have looked like a complete idiot standing there with my mouth hanging wide open. “I had no idea,” I finally said.

Amstar smiled. “He was awfully proud of his son, and I’ll say this, Crash…I see a lot of him in you. There is no doubt you are your father’s son.”

I didn’t know what to say and I’m sure Amstar noticed I was fighting back tears. The grief was still so fresh and raw.

Sensing this, he changed the subject. “What’s the word on Carmelo, it’s the prime reason for my visit this morning.”

He could have called or exchanged texts or emails as is the usual case, but he understood the Captain’s importance to this team. He wanted to know now, not later.

I sighed wearily. The phone call from the team doctor nearly forty minutes ago was frustratingly vague.

“It’s his sore calf; he really strained it quite badly. He’s in a lot of pain and it really stiffened up overnight. He’s having a hard enough time just walking and bottom line, he’s done for the rest of this series. Beyond that, it’s just conjecture.”

Amstar shook his head. “I’m surprised that calf held up this long, it’s been nagging him nearly all season.” Amstar could see a measure of surprise in my eyes. He smiled. “I read the reports too, Crash.”

“I’m sorry, Dick,” I said. “I didn’t mean to insinuate anything.”

Amstar laughed, raising his empty hand in a friendly gesture. “No worries, Crash,” he said. “I may own this club, but as long as you are the General Manager, this is your club.”

I could see in his eyes he meant it, but I saw there was something else on his mind.

“Crash, I know I said I’d leave the basketball business to you, but I’ve had an idea nag at me for a while now and I figured I’d run it by you.”

“Shoot,” I said casually, but I couldn’t help feeling a slight pit of dread in my stomach, wondering what he had in mind.

Amstar started slowly, choosing his words deliberately. “Carmelo’s reputation has certainly improved since his early days in the league. Wouldn’t you say?”

I nodded in silent approval.

Amstar swallowed another pull from his drink. “But I’ll admit, I’ve been surprisingly impressed with every aspect of the man, from his game on the court, to how he conducts himself off the court…and everything in between.”

My stock in Amstar rose another notch as the conversation continued.

“Heck, son,” he said. “I”ll keep it straight and simple. I think Carmelo would be an asset in the Magic organization after his playing days are done.” Amstar lifted his glass and polished off what remained of this drink, a slight smile across his lips. “He’s smart and he’s a guaranteed future NBA Hall of Famer. Having him linked to our organization is nothing but a win-win.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” I said confidently. “Now you know why I brought him here in the first place. I saw Carmelo’s potential all the way back in New York.”

Amstar arched his eyebrows, looking at me closely. “But you traded him off your squad almost immediately.”

“That,” I said coolly, “was strictly business…nothing more, nothing less.”

Amstar stared at me, perhaps a bit incredulously. “It’s a ruthless business most of the time, things change so quickly. We terminate careers, end dreams, trade people as carelessly as cattle. There’s an awful amount of stress and pressure.”

I spoke clearly and deliberately. “I respectfully disagree,” I said, shaking my head. “We strive to win, we pursue glory, we fulfill dreams, we chase championships, we embody a city and…we make money.”

He stared at me again. I could almost hear him mentally calculating, a slight smile cornered his lips. “Yes, you are correct,” he finally said. “Indeed, we do make lots of money.”

“In regards to Carmelo,” I finally said, putting the conversation back on track. “I’ve already promised him a position in the organization and he’s verbally committed his agreement. Though he did clearly state his intent to play one more season, fulfill the last year of his contract. I think he needs this one last season to fully come to terms with the end of his basketball career. It’s all he’s known his whole life.”

I could see Amstar was clearly surprised and impressed by my announcement, though he recovered and handled it like the professional he is. “That is excellent news, Crash, but do me just one favor, will you?”

“Sure,” I said.

Amstar raised his glass, gulping nearly half the drink down, a wince across his face. “Get that verbal agreement in writing, as soon as possible.”

I nodded approvingly, while swallowing the remainder of my drink.

“Another drink?” I asked.

Amstar nodded favorably, handing me his glass.
Rasmuth

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports