Wizard from OZ

Wizard from OZ

Postby essbom » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 am

As I sat down to speak to Lincoln Rollins I asked myself “am I dreaming?”. After all its not everyday you get hired to be an NBA gm especially when you live in Australia. From the stern look he gave me I quickly discovered this was not going to be a friendly chat. “Against my better judgment an informer has told me you are a good manager of people and that I should hire you to get the best out of my people. Consider yourself the new GM of the Washington Wizards”. Before I could say anything back Lincoln asks where do you think my team would finish?. I looked at the roster and I knew this team would have an average year at best. I think the team as it stands is not a playoff team I said. “Not a playoff team?” Lincoln blasts. I want second round of playoffs at least. “Get to work” he screams. As I got up to leave he tells me “you can have 5 million over the cap to achieve this result and not a cent more”

Our Coaches are set with head coach Randy Whittman at the helm I have some reservations if he will achieve Lincolns lofty standards but I am not going start costing the club money and will give Randy a chance.
His assistance Don Zierden, Ryan Saunders and Sam Cassell are young but enthusiastic.

First thing first I have a draft to prepare for. I invite Thomas Robinson, Bradley Beal, Harrison Barnes, Andre Drummond and Dion Waiters to workouts. I really like Bradley Beal his stroke is sweet and I believe he could be a fantastic addition. The other two players that catch my eye are Thomas Robinson who is a undersized PF but works very hard at his game, and Andre Drummond who is a little raw but the talent is there. The mock draft has us taking Robinson at 3 but I just cant commit as Beal really impressed.

Draft day comes I feel that it will be an important day in the clubs history and sit in the war room. As expected the Hornets and Bobcats take Kentucky pair Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. We are on the clock when the phone rings, It’s the Cavs they really want Andray Blatche and will offer pick 4 and Luke Walton. I don’t need to think this through although Luke Walton is not a player I want and will cost the club 6 million next season, I will wear that to get two picks in the top 4. As for Blatche his personality is poor and I feel the club will prosper without him.
David Stern reads out “With the third pick the Washington Wizards select Bradley Beal from the university of Florida”
We are on the clock again when the phone rings yet again this time its OKC and they offer James Harden, Eric Mayner and Daequan Cook for Nene and our 2nd rounder. Although I have just picked Beal I jump at this opportunity and complete the deal. The deal is risky James Harden is a free agent next season but I want to add some star power and scoring and believe in his game.
With pick 4 we select Thomas Robinson. After trading 2 bigs we needed to address our front court and I was torn between Beal and Robinson anyway.

Thinking our draft is done is a mistake as I start receiving calls about Trevor Booker. I accept a deal from Miami for their first pick(27) and Ronny Turiaf. Having acquired both Harden and Beal I send Jordan Crawford to Indianna for pick 26.
With the 26th pick I select Marquis Teague and pick 27 I select Jeffery Taylor. I like Teague’s quickness and winning culture and think that Taylor could be a diamond in the rough.

I receive a call from Lincoln who is not happy with me letting Nene go for a player that might not stick around and leaving our front court so weak, I state that I believe Kevin Seraphin is going to be a much better player given the responsibility of being a starter and that I believe Harden will sign for the club.

Next stage I review the contracts for next season and sign Rookies Beal,Robinson,Teague and Taylor. I then take the rookie options on John Wall,Chris Singleton, Jan Vesley and Kevin Seraphin.
I sign James Harden for a 3 year 44 million dollar deal extension.

I renounce the rights to sheldin Mack, Cartier Martin, James Singleton, Cook and Maurice Evans. I cut Ronny Turiaf and have a squad of 14 leaving one spot to a centre who we will invite to play summer league.

Wizards 2012-2013 pre summer league team.
Point guards
John Wall (The teams star player)
Eric Maynor ( a well equipped backup)
Marquis Teague (Rookie who will add quickness)

Shooting guard
James Harden (Last seasons 6th man of the year will add firepower to our scoring)
Bradley Beal (Rookie with a terrific shooting eye)
Daequin Cook (wont see many minutes)

Small forward
Trevor Ariza (Gifted player who fills stat lines)
Jan Vesley (hasn’t impressed in his first season but I believe he will be a valuable player)
Chris Singleton (will fight Vesley for minutes)
Jeffery Taylor (Rookie who will be headed to the D league to develop)
Luke Walton (Will be inactive and receive 6 million for watching the Wizards)

Power forward
Kevin Seraphin (Love this guy think he will spread minutes at PF and C)
Thomas Robinson (Rookie who will have an impact in his first year with his conditioning )

Centre
Emeka Okafor (Paid way too much and is not very athletic but will be a starter)
Spot left open for 2nd centre.

Its summer invite time and having one centre on the books I invite Greg Oden and Hasheem Thabeet along with 10 players eligible to play summer league.

Summer League
Wizards at Nuggets
122 90
What a way to start our campaign, Mind you we are playing a bulk of our squad. I did this so the players can start gelling quicker.
Thomas Robinson has a big night 36 points 11 rebounds
Bradley Beal 19 points in just 19 minutes
James Harden 18 points

Lakers at Wizards
73 103
Another huge win against a unrecognizable Lakers team.
Thomas Robinson 18 points
Harden 17 points

Knicks at Wizards
82 98
The team is playing well against scrubs.
Jan Vesley 20 points
Thomas Robinson 15
Harden 15 points but 8 Turnovers.
Seraphin 12 points 12 rebounds.

Wizards at Bucks
118 83
Another big win
James Hardin 30 points
Beal 23 points.
Maynor 12 points 8 assists

Wizards at Hornets
103 74
James Harden 31 points
Eric Maynor 18 points
Well we sweep the summer league but with the squad I entered I would be concerned if we didn’t. I speak to Randy Whittman and he wants us to sign Hasheem Thabeet he played well over the summer season and Greg Oden who was invited could not play a minute due to knee soreness. Thabeet had been surprisingly more offensive averaging 10 points 8 rebounds in 22 minutes per game.
We make the signing for 1.8 million over 2 seasons and we are now set for opening night.

As mentioned I send Jeffery Taylor to the Sioux Falls D-league team. I make Luke Walton and Daequan Cook inactive.
The summer league season has excited the Wizards fans and ticket sales are up. I am a little concerned in my front court but feel my backcourt could be deadly any given night.

Season opener
The day of our first game there is a sense of excitement and so many questions. Will James Harden become an all star? Can Bradley Beal and Thomas Robinson make an impact in their first seasons.Will John Wall lead the team to a playoff birth?
We play Atlanta who have added Andre Kirilenko and Daniel Gibson to rookies Will Barton and Andrew Nicholson.With players like Joe Johnson, Al Thornton and Josh smith it will be a test for us. I hope not to disappoint a home crowd.
Hawks at Wizards
75 109
What a game and the crowd is delighted and so is our owner with the crowd of 19,226. James Harden debut is so impressive 36 points 7 rebounds 4 assist. John Wall had a bad night shooting 2 of 18 for 8 points ,12 rebounds and 9 assists and Trevor Ariza and Jan Vesley chip in 15 and 13 points each Kevin Seraphin adds 13 points and 14 rebounds.
Rookie watch
Thomas Robison starts and has 9 points 5 rebounds in 23 minutes
Bradley Beal plays 13 minutes for 4 points in a quiet debut but Harden played so well he was not required.
Marquis Teague in 6 minutes adds 3 points and an impressive 4 assists.
For Atlanta in a sorry performance only Josh Smith could hold his head high with 16 points and 6 rebounds.
Joe Johnson is held to 12 points and Al Thornton 6 points 4 rebounds.

It was then off to Memphis who had added OJ Mayo and Greg Oden as free agents and Quincey Miller as a rookie. I felt our team could give this one a nudge.
Wizards 1-0 at Grizzles 0-1
88 105
Man was I wrong. James Harden was held to 7 points and also had 10 turnovers. John Wall 13 points 7 assists tried hard but it was rookie Thomas Robinson with 30 points and 8 rebounds who impressed the most. Emeka had 4 blocks but added no offence and Kevin Seraphin
Rookie watch
Bradley Beal 13 points in 20 minutes.
Marquis Teague 0 points 3 assists in 13 minutes.
The Grizzles were dominant in the paint with 20 more points inside. Tony Allen was man of the match with 16 points 5 steals and completely destroyed James Hardens confidence.

Back at home to face the Kings. The Kings had added Gerald green and Aaron Grey during free agency and had started slowly. I hoped the team would put up a strong performance. A crowd of 18,399 witnessed
Kings 0-2 at Wizards 1-1
88 105
Our scores matched last games points but this time we had the win. James Harden hit 21 points 5 assists and 5 rebounds to be voted player of the match. Kevin Seraphin added 17 points and 3 blocks, John Wall added 18 points 9 assists. Trevor Ariza 15 points 6 rebounds 5 assists 3 steals was also valuable.
Rookie Watch
Thomas Robinson 11 points 10 rebounds
Bradley Beal 6 points in 16 minutes
Marquis Teague 4 points 2 assists in 11 minutes.
For the Kings Free agent Gerald Green top scored with 15 points and Demarcus Cousins had 14 and 8 but were no match for the Wizards.

Heading into our 3rd home game out of 4 matches the buzz around town was this Wizards team would be tough to beat with their imposing backcourts. We next played the surprising Cleaveland Cavaliers who had started the season well. Over the off season they had acquired Andray Blatche from the Wizards signed Nicholas Batum and Alonzo Gee.18606 people came to see.
Cavs 2-1 at Wizards 2-1
83 95
Very happy to win our 3rd game at home. James Harden added 31 points and John Wall 16 points 10 assists and 7 rebounds had a great game. Jan Vesley added 15 points off the bench.
Rookie Watch
Thomas Robinson 4 points 8 rebounds
Bradley Beal 13 points
Marquis Teague 6 points 4 assists in only 9 minutes.
Kyrie Irving tried hard to lift the Cavs with 18 points but once again our backcourt was too strong.

Yet another home game this time against a disappointing Knicks team that is 1-3. The Knicks added JR Smith and Barron Davis in the off season. We have a full house in attendance.
Knicks 1-3 at Wizards 3-1
104 120
Yes! Our 4th win from 5 games. Thomas Robinson exploded with a dominant game 22 points 11 rebounds 3 blocks he hit 9 from 9 from the field. John Wall 21 points and 9 assists and Emeka Okafor 16 and 6 was effective.
James Harden had 16.
Rookie Watch
Bradley Beal 9 points in 17 minutes.
Marquis Teague 6 points and 4 assists in 12 minutes,
Amare Stoudermire was great with 30 points and 11 rebounds and Carmelo had 26 and 9 but our even spread of scoring had the Knicks perplexed.

After 5 games we are 4-1 and have kept our home crowd very happy.

Hope you enjoy my teams journey. More to come soon.
essbom

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports