A New Dawn: Seeking Suns Success

A New Dawn: Seeking Suns Success

Postby Tim Moungey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:23 am

Oh what great sagas we have encountered in these many NBA years. But one mighty franchise has yet never worn the crown. Despite the presence of such awesome heroes as Walter Davis, Paul Westphal, Kevin Johnson, Charles Barkley, and Steve Nash, never have the Phoenix Suns proudly stood as champions of the basketball world.

Now in the twilight of Nash's years, and after a questionable offseason that saw the Suns hang on to him rather than deal him, and draft Markieff Morris in the first round, Phoenix places its hopes in a bardic basketball legend. The man who penned the Mateen Yeaton epic must now take on a new challenge...

That man... is Izulde Jestor.

I grew up in the Midwest, but found, throughout my travels, that I enjoyed the coastal regions of the United States the best. Although I would ultimately fail (to this point) in living on the coasts, as I grew older, I found that my nocturnal nature preferred the Pacific, with its earliest possible time zone, yet still part of the mainland. For Hawaiian time is simply madness.

Originally, I thought I could fashion a life for myself in Las Vegas, a city perfectly suited to one of my temperament in many respects, and it was close enough to California and close friends in San Diego and Los Angeles that I could simply fly there to see them whenever I wanted.

But then, as the rather amusing, mock-heroic prologue you've just read suggests, the Suns called and begged me to take them over. Evidently they realized just how badly their previous management botched the offseason.

So without further ado, a quick rundown of the roster...

Point Guard
Steve Nash (37)
Still a legend and arguably the top floor general in the league, even at his advanced age. Beautiful $11 million and change expiring contract. We don't have the talent to compete, so it's going to go straight to rebuild. Hence, he's gone.

Sebastian Telfair (25)
Feels like he's been in the league as long as Nash, and yet he's only 25. Serviceable backup at first blush, but under no circumstances do I want him starting.

Ronnie Price (27)
Serviceable backup like Telfair. I like him better as a backup, too.

Shooting Guard
Shannon Brown (25)
Meh. One of those guys who isn't tall enough to play SF, yet doesn't have quite the skillset to be a good 2 guard in my system. I predict a lot of teams will have interest, though.

Michael Redd (31)
Remember when this guy was awesome with the Bucks? I do. In fact, I can remember I was bowling league one night and he set some kind of 3 point shooting record. Drinks all around and everyone cheered. He's a shadow of that star self now, but personally, I'd still start him over Brown. Too bad I'm not the coach.

Small Forward
Jared Dudley (25)
Long-term contract, the first guy profiled to have that. I'd probably make him my starting SG if I had control of the lineup. Has the makings of a solid fourth/fifth starter and his contract is very team-friendly.

Grant Hill (38)
Let's see here.. our two best players are 37 and 38 and we're barely even playoff material. Just goes to show how terribly mismanaged this team has been. About the only wrong thing the old regime didn't do was tie us down with god-awful contracts.

Josh Childress (28)
...****. Spoke too soon. Childress shouldn't even be on a D-League roster, let alone an NBA one... and he's making $6 million base this year. Sure the last year of his four year contract is a player option, but you think somebody this talentless is going to pass up $7.3 million? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Power Forward
Hakim Warrick (28)
He's also a little overpaid ($4.3/4.6/$4.9), but not nearly as much. I loved watching him during his Syracuse days, so he'll probably hang around just because of that. No question he's a tweener, but he does three things I love in all my players - draws fouls, is disciplined, and has good basketball smarts.

Channing Frye (27)
What do you call a jump and three point shooting big man who earns $5 million this season and is on a four year contract that has a $6.8 million player option at the end? That's right - the type of big man I despise. A big who roams around the perimeter? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Markieff Morris (21)
You really think I'm going to let a 35-40 IQ rookie hang around? No.

Center
C Marcin Gortat (27)
I love this guy. I love even more that he's paid a reasonable $6.7/$7.2/$7.7 for the next three years. He does almost everything I love in a big except have great passing/handling, draw fouls and IQ, but as far as a #1 scoring option who spends more time in the post than shooting jumpers, can rebound, and defend, that's a yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Robin Lopez
The worst of the Lopez twins. Good at drawing fouls, but that's it.

So just to recap - we have three players who are genuinely good, two of whom are 37 and 38. Everyone else is average or stinks. We have a few bad contracts, but we have 7 expirings worth $26 million in total, so we'll have some financial burn next year.

But time to go shopping!

...Only nobody's too interested in anything we have to offer. I spend hours on the phone with Toronto talking about a player I like well enough to make part of our rebuild, but then they blow us off, saying the best piece we offered had to come close to the best piece they were sending.

Instead, this happens:

Phoenix Suns receive
PG Jose Calderon
PG Leandro Barbosa
Toronto Raptors 2015 2nd

Toronto Raptors receive
PG Steve Nash
PF Channing Frye

What this means for the Suns
Calderon's still a veteran player, but at 29, he's almost a full decade younger than Nash and possesses exceptional floor general skills in his own right. He's also set to earn $10.5 million next season and will doubtlessly see himself extended by the Suns. He'll start, of course. Barbosa, 28, is Brazilian, which means a short stay if you know your Jestor history. The $7.6 million expiring contract is his biggest asset, but for now, he'll function as the 6th man.

What this means for the Raptors
As impressive as Nash is, this deal wasn't about him. It was about Frye. When your native centers are Jamaal Magloire, Solomon Alabi, and Aaron Freaking Gray, you jump at the chance to land a player who immediately steps in as your team's best defensive rebounder and your new starting center. Whether that's enough to elevate Toronto not only to the playoffs, but championship contention, remains to be seen.

Winner: Both
Yes, Frye's a massive post upgrade for Toronto, but he wasn't ever going to do anything in the Suns' rotation and Phoenix made the deal without sacrificing any of their most valuable trade chips.

I did my best to try and land one of the talented young point guards, but nobody was having it, and I wasn't too high on D.J. Augustin the more and more I looked at him. Calderon is a great compromise, and since Spain is one of my favorite countries, it's an excellent fit all-around. Still can't believe I suckered somebody into taking Frye.

So point guard is crossed off the list. Now to look at the other positions.

And that's about the time I decide to do something insanely stupid. Or I would if the Boston Celtic weren't too canny to fall for my ingenious plan. Efforts to get James Harden from the Thunder likewise fail, as OKC considers him a franchise player. :rolleyes:

"You've got to come close to matching the best thing on our side if you want a trade."
"You've got to come close to matching the best thing on our side if you want a trade."

...If I wanted this type of obnoxious trade response, I'd have bought Wolverine Studios' DDS games and joined MP leagues.

...Wow. I can't even trade for my boy Caron Butler, who is 31 and solid, but not a star, and with a suspect contract. "This trade would make us too weak at SF."

At this point, I throw my phone against the wall, shout "**** you!" at the universe, and go to bed.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 am

Still time to get trades in before the season starts, and I think it's time we consider the unthinkable.

Unfortunately, the deal I try to pull off gets the irritating best blah blah response. So we cut a different trade.

Phoenix Suns receive
SF Caron Butler
SG Eric Bledsoe
Los Angeles Clippers 2013 1st
Los Angeles Clippers 2015 1st

Los Angeles Clippers receive
SG Shannon Brown
SF Jared Dudley
PG Sebastian Telfair

Butler, like Jestor is a Racine, WI native, and both of them attended Park High School. He's a 6'7, 228 lbs. swingman with a solid all-around game who, no doubt to the front office's glee, is penned in as the Suns' starting SG. The 31 year old is also on a flat-rate $8 million a year contract for the next three seasons. Bledsoe is an exceptional ball-thief and while his upside potential is limited as a 6th man combo guard, at 21, he's young and disciplined, and will apprentice behind Leandro Barbosa. The first round selections will both be late, but it's adding to Phoenix's trade arsenal.

What this means for the Clippers
First and foremost is financial flexibility. Brown ($3.5 million) and Telfair ($1.1 million) are expiring contracts, and Dudley, with his lengthy flat-rate $4.25 million a season contract is a great get. Brown and Dudley are also both 25 and slot in as starters at SG and SF respectively, with the latter projected to be part of the Clippers' long-term core alongside Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, and DeAndre Jordan.

Winner - Both
The Clippers wanted to both go for a title this season and prepare for the future. Dudley by himself would be better than this year's first round pick, and the youth of Los Angeles's starters means the second first rounder they gave up will be low. Phoenix, on the other hand, is going into the season with a comparatively low level of overall talent, and yet they've managed to not only get younger and have a more balanced roster, but also to pile on picks.

I can live with Grant Hill at SF for a season, but if you think I'm letting Markieff Morris anywhere near that starting PF spot, you're high.

And another trade:

Phoenix Suns receive
C Hamed Haddadi
SG Sam Young
Memphis Grizzlies 2013 1st
Memphis Grizzlies 2015 1st

Memphis Grizzlies receive
PF Markieff Morris
Phoenix Suns 2015 2nd
Toronto Raptors 2015 2nd

For those of you keeping score at home, the Suns now have three 2013 first round picks and three 2015 first rounders - their own, the Clippers' and now the Grizzlies'. That's the most you can say about this trade on Phoenix's side, other than that the mammoth 25 year old Haddadi is the NLL's only Iranian player, and he and the 26 year old Young are both small expiring contracts.

What this means for the Grizzlies
If you're giving up two first round picks, even if you're getting back two projected high seconds, you better also be getting a starter back. Sadly, Morris is 10th on the depth chart and 4th or 5th in the PF rotation. That makes absolutely no sense, even when you factor in that Mareese Speights and Darrell Arthur, two players ahead of him, are expiring.

Winner: Phoenix
And this is why Jestor is known a sagacious hero in the GM world.

Okay, I feel better now.

Starting Lineup
PG Jose Calderon (29)
SG Caron Butler (31)
SF Grant Hill (38)*
PF Hakim Warrick (28)
CE Marcin Gortat (27)
6th Leandro Barbosa (PG/SG)*
7th Robin Lopez (PF/CE)*
8th Michael Redd (SG/SF)*
9th Eric Bledsoe (PG/SG)
10th Ronnie Price (PG)*
11th Josh Childress (SG/SF/PF)
12th Hamed Haddadi (CE)*
Inactive
Sam Young (SG/SF)*

* - Denotes expiring contract

Really liking the makeup now. Sure, we're still a veteran team who probably isn't going to do much and we're not exactly overflowing with youth... but check out this lovely list:

Current Picks Arsenal
Memphis Grizzlies 2013 1st
Los Angeles Clippers 2013 1st
Phoenix Suns 2013 1st
Phoenix Suns 2013 2nd
Phoenix Suns 2014 1st
Phoenix Suns 2014 2nd
Memphis Grizzlies 2015 1st
Los Angeles Clippers 2015 1st
Phoenix Suns 2015 1st

Yep, that's 7 first round picks over the next three drafts.

Financial Situation
*$693,572 under the cap right now.
*57.3 million committed this season, $38.6 million next season, $27.8 million the year after that, $7.3 million in Year #4, $0 million in Year 5.

Yeah. So even with the three firsts, I figure we should have about $10-12 million to play with in free agency... or save it to roll over to the following year when we'll have even more cash to flash.

I'm genuinely looking forward to this year now. :D
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 am

Okay, so I'm totes mad at another team in another time and place right now. I'm going to try cheering myself up by seeing our newly remodeled Suns look. Yay!

...I was going to integrate this with a DDS:CB 2 dynasty, but I forgot. Oops.

Could always do manual import, I suppose.

San Antonio reminds us how far we are from a decent team, destroying us 142-90 in the season opener. We got great work from Marcin Gortat's 16 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks, until you consider his 6 turnovers. And let's not even talk about Michael Redd's 6 of 18 for his chuckerton 17 bench points.

Grant Hill strains his hamstring and is questionable for the foreseeable future aka 14 days. Like we didn't suck enough.

We have our home opener the very next night against the Hornets and promptly lose 102-85. Not even Hakim Warrick's 11 bench points on 3/3 shooting can cheer me up, nor the fact that Marcin Gortat had 13 points, 20 rebounds and 3 blocks, because we shot 35.4% as a team, and have yet to shoot over 40% even.

Sigh. 0-3 as we lose at home to Portland 114-103. We shoot 45.6% so there's that, with Marcin Gortat netting 23 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks... along with another 6 turnovers. Great game by Jose Calderon with 23 points and 10 assists, and somehow Josh Childress find his way to shooting accurately for 12 bench points. No idea how he did that.

On the road again, losing 123-92 to the Nets. Pretty sad when the lowest we've held a team to is 102 points, and our own high is 103 - also our lone 100+ point game. 10 points and 5 rebounds off the bench for Hakim Warrick, who hasn't been the worst reserve in the world.

Next night we're in Indiana, where we lose 115-104. I'm punch drunk giggling now. I've never, ever in the history of basketball, ever had a team start the year. We didn't play that badly in this one, either. 12 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals for my boy Caron at SF, 13 points and 15 assists for Jose Calderon and an efficient 16 points and 2 steals for Eric Bledsoe (pay no attention to the 4 turnovers). Michael Redd also rips off 12 bench points.

Oh look, another road pounding - 106-72 by Chicago. 29.3% shooting. At this point, I'm looking up most losses to start an NBA season. Long way to go yet - a couple 0-17 starts and an 0-18 start, courtesy of Heat, Clippers, and Nets at various points in the NBA day.

Next night, 118-75 shellacking in Milwaukee. At this point, I'm willing to say hell with and just trade Marcin Gortat.

WE HAVE A VICTORY, 110-74 OVER THE GRIZZLIES IN PHOENIX! Where the **** was this defense and offense the rest of the year? We won it with a boring balanced attack. Boo.

Wow, a win streak! 112-94 hosting win over Rockets. I'm wondering if we just needed those seven games to gel. Marcin Gortat finally takes charge with 28 points, 17 rebounds and 3 blocks. I also note that whoever our head coach is keeps shuffling around the 2-4 spots in the lineup. 13 points, 9 rebounds off the bench for Hakim Warrick, 14 points from Michael Redd.

Back on the losing train, 110-99 in Sactown. 18, 14 and 13 bench points from Michael Redd, Leandro Barbosa, and Hakim Warrick. Redd finds his way to 4 steals as well.

...Well now that's disgusting. A 121-116 home loss to Gary Gorski's Detroit Pistons. The same 3 bench players are in double digit scoring as last game, Marcin Gortat adds 27, but it's not enough to keep us from getting ripped apart by Greg Monroe's 30 points and 16 rebounds, forcing Robin Lopez to just 13 minutes of court time. Did I mention Gortat's 6 turnovers?

Still winless on the road following a 95-83 loss to the Jazz. Leandro Barbosa and Hakeem Warrick add in the 11 and 10 bench points as per usual. Gortat strains his calf and is iffy for a week. At this point, I just laugh hysterically.

The Lakers are 3-6 for reasons I can't understand. Make that 4-6 after a 118-114 nailbiter win over us in Phoenix. Leandro Barbosa goes ape**** for 29 bench points and Eric Bledsoe adds in 10 of his own. But once again, our starters stink, and Andrew Bynum drops the 40 point, 11 rebound hammer on us.

November is taking forever as we pull off a 104-97 upset over Portland. Of course it's a home win. Bad shooting all around, with Eric Bledsoe's 12 bench points the only noteworthy performance. I'm really getting bored with this Suns team.

Respectable 106-90 loss to the Thunder. 14 points, 13 rebounds, 3 blocks out of Marcin Gortat, with Leandro Barbosa (16) and Hakim Warrick (10) taking care of second unit scoring duties.

Yawn. 115-100 loss to Minnesota with Caron Butler making things briefly exciting with 21 points and the usual suspects of bench scorers. Only Michael Redd does it without massacring our offensive efficiency, though.

Going 3-13 is draining. Marcin Gortat sprains his toe and I really don't care at this point. 15.7 points, 8.9 rebounds and 2.1 blocks as the lead in our team in those three categories.

...Yeah. I'm going to bed at this point. It's just a grind through the year until we hit lottery type thing.

Clippers are pretty much dominating a weak Pacific at 11-4. Memphis is struggling to an 8-7 record that puts them in the playoff positioning, but likely a mid-first.

No firsts, but Toronto is 7-7 in an East that's all about 14-1 Miami and from there it's a scrum. Channing Frye is playing extremely well - 12 points, 9 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 1.7 blocks on 47.1% shooing.

Whatevs.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby zike_42 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Tough first month, but the bigger question would be what will you do when Caron Butler decides to hang his boots up? It seems every dynasty you do you have to get him.
New PB4 dynasty, and it's multiplayer!
http://www.wolverinestudios.com/forum/s ... hp?t=20116
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 pm

We'll manage just fine. After all, it's not like we can get any worse.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Sat May 04, 2013 3:23 pm

...Something very strange has happened. Somehow both of my save games have reverted back to after we made all our trades. Unless I somehow forgot to save at any point during a month of simming.

Weird.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby zike_42 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Wait, what?
New PB4 dynasty, and it's multiplayer!
http://www.wolverinestudios.com/forum/s ... hp?t=20116
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby PointGuard » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:51 am

Spammer.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports