Charlotte Wildcats

Charlotte Wildcats

Postby propthink » Sat May 25, 2013 4:18 am

Unfortunately, the save file for my previous Charlotte Wildcats dynasty was accidentally destroyed some time ago. Recently, however, I have decided to begin anew.
propthink

Postby propthink » Sat May 25, 2013 4:20 am

[font="Times New Roman"]Prologue

While the roots of the Regional Basketball Association can be traced all the way back to 1946, the Charlotte Wildcats were founded as recently as 2004, two seasons after the formerly-known Charlotte Wasps were exiled to New Orleans. During their eight year tenure the Wildcats have only managed to win 229 games while recording 411 losses. They have qualified for the playoffs once, during the 2009-10 season, the only winning season (.537%) in Charlotte Wildcats history. They were swept by the Orlando Mystics in the first round.

The previous season (2011-12) was particularly bad. While every team found itself at a disadvantage due to a lockout-shortened season (which cut sixteen games off of the schedule), none did worse than the Charlotte Wildcats who posted the worst single-season record in RBA history (7-59, or .106%). While the legendary Lebron James was leading the Miami Burn to an RBA championship title, the Charlotte Wildcats were drowning in irrelevance on the other side of the Southeast Division.

In the face of unprecedented backlash, Wildcats owner Jordan Michaels knew it was time to clean house once and for all. On June 19th, 2012, while King James’ fingerprints were still fresh on the O’Brien Trophy, Michaels fired Wildcats general manager Richard Cho. Shortly thereafter, head coach Mike Dunlap and the entirety of his coaching staff were let go as well.

Although the Wildcats were heavily favored to win the 2012 draft lottery and come away with the number one overall pick in the upcoming draft, no such luck was to be had. That pick went to the New Orleans Wasps, and the Charlotte Wildcats limped away with second overall.

I suspect that I was only offered the job of general manager out of desperation. I was very young and inexperienced, and by all accounts, no one in their right mind should have entrusted me with the future of their professional franchise.[/font]
propthink

Postby propthink » Sat May 25, 2013 4:21 am

[font="Times New Roman"]Season 1, Chapter 1

The journey of a thousand miles began with a phone call on June 20th, 2012.

“Hello Joe, I thought I would call and we could have a quick chat about the upcoming season. So tell me, how is the team going to fare this season?”

Jordan Michaels was always quick and to the point. Likewise, I had no intentions of trying to condescend the difficulties ahead.

“Terrible. It’s a complete rebuild year.”

“I’m a patient man, but I’m not that patient. I don’t want to hear the word rebuild around here. What’s it going to cost to at least make us competitive?”

I could not imagine why Michaels would have such high expectations for a team that only managed to win seven games the year before, but nevertheless, I decided that I should try and get as much spending money as I could possibly get.

“Right about at the cap.”

“I’m OK with that. Good luck this season.”

I knew that if I wanted to groom the Charlotte Wildcats into a relevant franchise, I needed to cultivate a winning culture. For too long the Wildcats had endured declining fan support and heavy criticism from both the media and the league. Realistically, the Wildcats were probably a few years away from doing any kind of significant winning, but building for the future began with establishing a foundation of exceptional talent, both on the court and among the coaching staff.

Isiah Thomas was my first choice for head coach. He was arguably an elite player in his own day, and his five years of head coaching experience (which included three playoff appearances) were valuable assets. He was offered a three year contract worth a total of $3,806,460, which he accepted. In order to counterbalance Thomas’ offensive expertise, Frank Hamblen was given the first assistant coach position, a three year contract worth $1,977,210. The second and third assistant coach positions went to T.R. Dunn and Shareef Abdur-Rahim, each of whom signed two year deals worth $681,954 and $557,262 respectively.

Having filled out my coaching staff, I turned my attention to the team roster. Our talent level was incredibly dismal, save for a few rare bright spots. There was obviously a lot of work to be done, which began with determining exactly what we needed at each position:
(KEY: [Overall Rating](2012-13 Salary)[Age])
*Indicates Free Agent

PG Kemba Walker [3.0/4.5]($2,532,960)[22]
*PG D.J. Augustin [2.5/3.0]($6,472,938)[24]
*PG Cory Higgins [1.0/1.5]($568,324)[23]

SG Gerald Henderson [3.0/3.5]($3,101,326)[24]
SG Ben Gordon [2.5/2.5](S12,400,000)[29]
SG Matt Carroll [1.0/1.0]($3,500,000)[31]

*SF Reggie Williams [2.5/2.5]($3,750,000)[26]
*SF Derrick Brown [2.5/2.5]($1,281,583)[24]
*SF Jamario Moon [1.5/1.5]($133,214)[31]

PF Tyrus Thomas [2.5/2.5]($8,000,000)[25]
*PF D.J. White [2.5/2.5]($4,002,334)[25]
*PF Eduardo Najera [1.5/1.5]($3,900,000)[35]

C Bismack Biyombo [2.5/3.5]($3,007,920)[20]
C Byron Mullens [2.5/3.0]($2,253,061)[23]
C DeSagana Diop [1.0/1.0]($7,372,200)[30]

I had already decided that Kemba Walker was going to be the starting point guard going into the next season. Considering his youth, athleticism, and solid performance as a rookie the year before, I was confident that he could handle the starting role. Accordingly, I decided that we would not be offering a contract to D.J. Augustin. Likewise, I had serious doubts about Cory Higgins’ ability to be effective off the bench; it was doubtful that he would receive a contact offer either.

At the shooting guard position, I could sense that neither Gerald Henderson nor Ben Gordon were the future of the franchise. Gerald Henderson had some durability and attitude issues which sent up some red flags, and Ben Gordon was too old and much too expensive to fit into any long term plans. However, I decided that it was in the best interest of the franchise to have them share minutes at the shooting guard position during the season ahead, filling a need in the short term and allowing me to divert resources elsewhere. Matt Carroll’s contract was much too expensive and he was put on the trading block immediately.

The situation at the small forward position was absolutely terrible. Reggie Williams and Derrick Brown were talented players in their own right, but certainly not talented enough to justify their contracts or have a significant impact on the court. Jamario Moon was ridiculously cheap but I still had no place for him. It was becoming increasingly obvious that the small forward position was going to be a major need going into the draft and free agency.

The power forward position was another major need. Tyrus Thomas was a reasonably talented player but his contract was absolutely toxic (three years worth a total of $26,082,645). By comparison, D.J. White was much cheaper, but still way too expensive. Retaining Eduardo Najera was out of the question, and it was doubtful that either White or Thomas would be around for much longer.

Center Bismack Biyombo was another bright spot on the Wildcats’ otherwise dismal roster. Although his free throw shooting was abhorrent, his rebounding and shot blocking abilities were absolutely elite. It seemed very likely that he would be given the starting position going into the next season. Byron Mullens was also very talented, but I could not afford to keep him and Biyombo, and so he was put on the trading block. DeSagana Diop’s contract was absolutely horrible and I knew that I would be looking to get rid of it as soon as possible.

It was clear that my most significant needs were at the forward positions, but realistically I had needs all across the board. With the draft fast approaching, I knew I had to focus on making every draft pick count and trading away some bad contracts for some good talent.
[/font]
propthink

Postby propthink » Sat May 25, 2013 4:23 am

[font="Times New Roman"]Season 1, Chapter 2

Leading up to the draft, there was no question that power forward Anthony Davis was the best player available, and even less doubt that the New Orleans Wasps would be selecting him with the first overall pick. With the second overall pick in the draft, the leading candidates for the Charlotte Wildcats were small forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and power forward Thomas Robinson. For the sake of appearances we projected the impending decision as being relatively close, but the reality of the situation was that we had been leaning towards Kidd-Gilchrist since the beginning. He was a potential franchise player who could have an immediate impact on the court.

When draft day arrived, absolutely no one was shocked when the New Orleans Wasps did, in fact, select Anthony Davis with the number one overall pick. Shortly thereafter, I approached the podium and made the announcement on behalf of our franchise: “With the second overall pick in the 2012 draft, the Charlotte Wildcats select Michael Kidd-Gilchrist out of Kentucky.” Before the third overall pick was even announced, we got to work right away. We offered power forward Tyrus Thomas to the Milwaukee Moose in exchange for power forward Ekpe Udoh (a trade which they somehow considered to be in their favor). They accepted our offer. A few picks down the board Indiana offered me their first round pick (twenty-sixth overall) in exchange for center Byron Mullens. I accepted their offer, and subsequently I traded shooting guard Matt Carroll to the Cleveland Knights for one of their second round picks (thirty-forth overall). I then traded those two draft picks and my original second round pick (thirty-first overall) to the Phoenix Beams for their first round pick (thirteenth overall) and power forward Markieff Morris. With the thirteenth overall pick in the draft the Charlotte Bobcats selected point guard Kendall Marshall.

The rest of the draft went by with little activity on our part, but I was confident that we had made some significant improvements on our roster. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was a guaranteed starter and Kendall Marshall had the potential to be a leader on the bench. Ekpe Udoh and Markieff Morris both had the talent and maturity to compete for the starting spot at the power forward position. We were also able to purge a lot of financial toxicity (although we were still stuck with DeSagana Diop’s contract).

DRAFT RECAP:
R1P1 – A. Davis (NO)
R1P2 – M. Kidd-Gilchrist (CHA)
R1P3 - T. Robinson (WAS)
R1P4 – B. Beal (CLE)
R1P5 – J. Henson (SAC)
R1P6 – A. Drummond (POR)
R1P7 – H. Barnes (GS)
R1P8 – D. Lillard (TOR)
R1P9 – M. Leonard (DET)
R1P10 – P. Jones III (NO)
R1P11 – D. Waiters (POR)
R1P12 – J. Sullinger (HOU)
R1P13 – K. Marshall (CHA)
R1P14 – M. Teague (MIL)
R1P15 – A. Moultrie (PHI)
R1P16 – T. Zeller (HOU)
R1P17 – F. Melo (DAL)
R1P18 – M. Harkless (HOU)
R1P19 – A. Rivers (ORL)
R1P20 – T. Wroten (DEN)
R1P21 – T. Ross (BOS)
R1P22 – T. Jones (BOS)
R1P23 – R. White (ATL)
R1P24 – A. Nicholson (CLE)
R1P25 – Q. Miller (MEM)
R1P26 – J. Lamb (PHX)
R1P27 – T. Taylor (MIA)
R1P28 – F. Aldemir (OKC)
R1P29 – M. Wayns (CHI)
R1P30 – Q. Acy (GS)

R2P1 – S. Machado (PHX)
R2P2 – R. Hamilton (WAS)
R2P3 – J. Brown (NO)
R2P4 – D. Bost (PHX)
R2P5 – K. Murphy (CHI)
R2P6 – J. Green (GS)
R2P7 – T. Holloway (TOR)
R2P8 – D. Green (DEN)
R2P9 – K. Middleton (CLE)
R2P10 – D. Gordon (POR)
R2P11 – J. Cunningham (HOU)
R2P12 – M. Scott (BKY)
R2P13 – J. Taylor (ATL)
R2P14 – K. Jones (ATL)
R2P15 – F. Ezeli (PHI)
R2P16 – D. Lamb (NY)
R2P17 – M. Denmon (NO)
R2P18 – T. Satoransky (IND)
R2P19 – W. Barton (ATL)
R2P20 – J. Franch (DEN)
R2P21 – R. Sacre (BOS)
R2P22 – K. O’Quinn (CHI)
R2P23 – E. Fournier (GS)
R2P24 – K. Joseph (DAL)
R2P25 – J. Crowder (PHI)
R2P26 – B. James (NY)
R2P27 – C. Moore (BKY)
R2P28 – A. Young (MIN)
R2P29 – G. Mangano (MIN)
R2P30 – W. Buford (LA[W])

In the meantime, we decided to withdraw all qualifying offers on the free agents still attached to our team. We did not intend to extend any of their contracts.

Current Roster:
#15 PG Kemba Walker [3.0/4.5]($2,532,960)[22]
#5 PG Kendall Marshall [2.5/3.0]($1,649,300)[20]

#9 SG Gerald Henderson [3.0/3.5]($3,101.326)[24]
#8 SG Ben Gordon [2.5/2.5]($12,400,000)[29]

#14 SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist [3.0/5.0]($3,955,400)[19]

#20 PF Ekpe Udoh [2.5/3.5]($3,524,880)[26]
#11 PF Markieff Morris [2.5/3.0]($2,063,040)[22]

#0 C Bismack Biyombo [2.5/3.5]($3,007,920)[20]
#2 C DeSagana Diop [1.0/1.0]($7,372,200)[30]

Salary: $39,607,026
Cap: +$18,392,974

Our roster was certainly improving, but I knew that there was a lot of work left to be done during free agency. However, the Summer League was upon us, and we needed to take advantage of the opportunity to evaluate the young talent on our roster.[/font]
propthink

Postby propthink » Sat May 25, 2013 4:26 am

[font="Times New Roman"]Season 1, Chapter 3

Kemba Walker, Kendall Marshall, Gerald Henderson, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Ekpe Udoh, Markieff Morris, and Bismack Biyombo were all assigned to the summer league roster; shooting guard Terrence Williams, small forward Marqus Blakely, and center Hasheem Thabeet were invited to round out the roster.

Game 1: Charlotte Wildcats @ Denver Peaks
[I]Final Score: CHA 102, DEN 83
Notable Performances:[/I]
PF Markieff Morris (16 PTS, 2 AST, 2 REB)[Player of the Game]
PF Ekpe Udoh (10 PTS, 8 REB, 2 STL)
PG Kemba Walker (12 PTS, 9 AST, 4 REB)

Game 2: Golden State Spartans @ Charlotte Wildcats
Final Score: GS 88, CHA 107
Notable Performances:
PG Kemba Walker (16 PTS, 7 AST, 6 REB)[Player of the Game]
SG Gerald Henderson (13 PTS, 5 AST, 12 REB)
SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (14 PTS, 4 AST, 1 REB)

Game 3: New York Metros @ Charlotte Wildcats
Final Score: NY 76, CHA 96
Notable Performances:
PG Kemba Walker (20 PTS, 8 AST, 7 REB)[Player of the Game]
C Bismack Biyombo (11 PTS, 16 REB, 2 BLK)
SG Gerald Henderson (16 PTS, 4 AST, 4 REB)

Game 4: Charlotte Wildcats @ Cleveland Knights
Final Score: CHA 107, CLE 84
Notable Performances:
PF Markieff Morris (20PTS, 7 REB, 1 STL)[Player of the Game]
PF Ekpe Udoh (14 PTS, 8 REB, 2 STL)
SG Gerald Henderson (18 PTS, 2 AST, 2 REB)

Game 5: New Orleans Wasps @ Charlotte Wildcats
Final Score: NO 80, CHA 97
Notable Performances:
SG Gerald Henderson (26 PTS, 5 REB, 2 STL)[Player of the Game]
PG Kemba Walker (11 PTS, 10 AST, 4 REB)
PG Kendall Marshall (12 PTS, 6 AST, 3 REB)

Final Record: 5-0

Considering that all of my starting options were appointed to the summer league roster, it was comforting to know that we were at least able to handle the other summer league teams. Many players displayed flashes of brilliance including Kemba Walker, who earned player of the game twice and posted a double-double, Bismack Biyombo, who recorded sixteen rebounds in a single game, and Gerald Henderson, who was the top scorer throughout the summer league. Markieff Morris and Ekpe Udoh both played well enough that I still have no idea who is going to be starting at the power forward position, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist remained mostly solid and consistent, even if he didn’t blow me away.

I was comfortable with how the team was starting to come together, but there were still some issues that needed to be addressed during free agency.[/font]
propthink

Postby propthink » Sat May 25, 2013 4:27 am

[font="Times New Roman"]Season 1, Chapter 4

My biggest concerns going into the free agency period revolved around filling out the bench. Having a solid second option at the small forward position was particularly important if I wanted to establish Michael Kidd-Gilchrist as a center piece of the team. I offered small forward Stanley Robinson a two year deal worth $3,020,910. His youth, athleticism, and defensive ability were going to be valuable assets coming off the bench. I also wanted to secure a solid backup behind Ekpe Udoh and Markieff Morris at the power forward position. Jon Leuer was an excellent option at this position, but I did not want to sign him long term due to his relatively high price tag. He was offered a one year deal worth $4,375,000.

Meanwhile, shooting guard Terrel Harris was offered a two year deal worth $2,727,000 and center Jeremy Tyler was offered a one year contract worth $3,275,000. Stanley Robinson and Terrel Harris accepted their offers relatively quickly, with Jon Leuer and Jeremy Tyler following shortly behind. I had managed to leave almost eight million dollars in cap space untouched after filling out my roster, which I decided to leave untouched for the time being.

Shortly thereafter I decided to exercise the rookie option on some of the younger contracts. Kemba Walker’s contract was extended by two years, keeping him in Charlotte until at least 2014. Kendall Marshall was given a one year extension which guaranteed him for just as long. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was also given a two year extension good until 2015. Ekpe Udoh, Markieff Morris and Bismack Biyombo were all given one year extensions that guaranteed their returns the following season.

During training camp, I decided to give Michael Kidd-Gilchrist the individual training session while focusing on the power forward position during the positional training session. During the general training session I tried to emphasize defense over offense and preach the importance of endurance and strategy. I was still unsure as to who would be starting at the power forward position, so I decided that Ekpe Udoh and Markieff Morris would spend the first twenty games of the season taking turns at the starting position (each player would get five games at a time, ten each). In the grand scheme of things I knew that there was still a long time and a lot of work ahead of us before the Charlotte Wildcats could even hope to be a relevant franchise. However, we were beginning to establish a very solid foundation of meaningful talent and I could sense that we were already making strides in our improvement. At the very least, one could reasonably expect that we would not be the worst team in the league.

Final Roster:
#15 PG Kemba Walker [3.0/4.5]($2,532,960)[22]
#5 PG Kendall Marshall [2.5/3.0]($1,649,300)[20]

#9 SG Gerald Henderson [3.0/3.5]($3,101.326)[24]
#8 SG Ben Gordon [2.5/2.5]($12,400,000)[29]
#12 SG Terrel Harris [2.0/2.5]($1,350,000)[25]

#14 SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist [3.5/5.0]($3,955,400)[19]
#24 SF Stanley Robinson [2.0/2.5]($1,495,000)[24]

#20 PF Ekpe Udoh [3.0/3.5]($3,524,880)[26]
#11 PF Markieff Morris [2.5/3.0]($2,063,040)[22]
#30 PF Jon Leuer [2.5/3.0]($4,375,000)[23]

#0 C Bismack Biyombo [3.0/3.5]($3,007,920)[20]
#3 C Jeremy Tyler [2.0/2.5]($3,725,000)[21]
#2 C DeSagana Diop [1.0/1.0]($7,372,200)[30]

Salary: $50,102,526
Cap: +$7,897,474[/font]
propthink

Postby PointGuard » Sun May 26, 2013 12:16 am

Hey! Good job strengthening the team...should be good enough for at least double digit wins this season. :D Putting aside the joking, the changes really did improve the team.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby propthink » Sun May 26, 2013 4:13 am

Thank you :) and I am pretty confident that this lineup should be able to win at least ten games haha
propthink

Postby propthink » Sun May 26, 2013 4:17 am

[font="Times New Roman"]Season 1, Chapter 5

Game 1: Orlando Mystics (0-0) @ Charlotte Wildcats (0-0)
Final Score: ORL 118, CHA 92
Notable Performances:
SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (21 PTS, 2 REB, 2 AST)
PF Ekpe Udoh (12 PTS, 9 REB, 9 BLK)
PG Kemba Walker (19 PTS, 2 AST, 3 REB)

Game 2: Charlotte Wildcats (0-1) @ Memphis Roar (0-1)
Final Score: CHA 68, MEM 91
Notable Performances:
C Bismack Biyombo (16 PTS, 10 REB, 1 BLK)
PG Kemba Walker (9 PTS, 4 AST, 7 REB)

Game 3: Los Angeles Riders (1-1) @ Charlotte Wildcats (0-2)
Final Score: LA(R) 110, CHA 98
Notable Performances:
PG Kemba Walker (17 PTS, 8 AST, 2 REB)
C Bismack Biyombo (11 PTS, 7 REB, 5 BLK)
PF Ekpe Udoh (10 PTS, 7 REB, 5 BLK)

Game 4: Detroit Gears (0-3) @ Charlotte Wildcats (0-3)
Final Score: DET 99, CHA 109
Notable Performances:
SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (14 PTS, 6 AST, 12 REB)[Player of the Game]
C Bismack Biyombo (14 PTS, 7 REB, 4 BLK)
SG Ben Gordon (16 PTS, 1 AST, 2 REB)

Game 5: New York Metros (2-3) @ Charlotte Wildcats (1-3)
Final Score: NY 89, CHA 117
Notable Performances:
SG Gerald Henderson (25 PTS, 2 AST, 3 REB)[Player of the Game]
SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (16 PTS, 9 AST, 9 REB)
SF Stanley Robinson (15 PTS, 10 REB, 1 BLK)
PG Kemba Walker (18 PTS, 7 AST, 5 REB)

Current Record: 2-3
The season began on the wrong foot, but signs of promise and potential are abound and the game against New York was definitely a knock-out. Gerald Henderson scored a season-high 25 points and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist flirted with a triple-double. Ekpe Udoh has put on a solid performance, but now Markieff Morris will have an opportunity to compete for the starting position.[/font]
propthink

Postby propthink » Sun May 26, 2013 4:21 am

[font="Times New Roman"]Game 6: Atlanta Eagles (3-1) @ Charlotte Wildcats (2-3)
Final Score: ATL 112, CHA 84
Notable Performances:
C Bismack Biyombo (14 PTS, 8 REB, 2 STL)
SG Ben Gordon (12 PTS, 1 AST, 5 REB)
PG Kemba Walker (10 PTS, 6 AST, 5 REB)

Game 7: Minnesota Coyotes (3-3) @ Charlotte Wildcats (2-4)
Final Score: MIN 124, CHA 111
Notable Performances:
PG Kemba Walker (24 PTS, 8 AST, 2 REB)
SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (10 PTS, 8 AST, 5 REB)
SG Ben Gordon (19 PTS, 2 AST, 2 REB)

Game 8: Charlotte Wildcats (2-5) @ Denver Peaks (4-3)
Final Score: CHA 82, DEN 129
Notable Performances:
SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (12 PTS, 4 AST, 8 REB)
PF Markieff Morris (12 PTS, 5 REB)
C Bismack Biyombo (7 PTS, 8 REB, 3 BLK)

Game 9: Charlotte Wildcats (2-6) @ San Antonio Outlaws (5-2)
Final Score: CHA 93, SA 129
Notable Performances:
PG Kemba Walker (15 PTS, 5 AST, 1 REB)
SG Ben Gordon (15 PTS, 4 REB)
SG Gerald Henderson (13 PTS, 4 REB)

Game 10: Charlotte Wildcats (2-7) @ Miami Burn (7-2)
Final Score: CHA 99, MIA 93
Notable Performances:
SG Gerald Henderson (28 PTS, 6 REB, 2 STL)[Player of the Game]
PG Kemba Walker (20 PTS, 6 AST, 8 REB)
C Bismack Biyombo (12 PTS, 7 REB, 3 BLK)
PG Markieff Morris (11 PTS, 4 AST, 6 REB)

Current Record: 3-7
Despite their mediocre start, the Wildcats have been playing somewhat better than what some people might have expected. Upsetting the Miami Burn on the road was also a huge morale booster. All things considered, Ekpe Udoh and Markieff Morris are pretty evenly matched, but now Udoh will have another chance to fulfill the starting role.[/font]
propthink

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports