The 'Magical' GM - A Predrag Teletovic Story

The 'Magical' GM - A Predrag Teletovic Story

Postby OzzieLaker » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:51 am

I, Predrag Teletovic, was once the best thing since sliced bread. I was a living prodigy, the best small forward prospect in the whole world. I was tipped to be the #1 NBA draft pick only a mere six years ago. I was still a teenager, and had a bright future ahead of me. The night before the draft, I was ready. I had my suit all ready to go, and was ready for a great future ahead of me.

Then, tragedy struck. I wasn't able to play any more due to the gun-wounds. The guy that shot me in the back got life, but my future simply disappeared in a matter of seconds. I didn't know where to go.

Well, that is, until I got a call from the Portland Trail Blazers asking me to be a scout for them. They knew I could spot talent, knowing what it took to become an NBA player. For the next six years, I lived a happy life in Rip City, marrying and having one kid. My life had become worthwhile again. But my life was about to change...

One day, I got a mysterious phone call from a private number.

"Is this Mr Teletovic?"
"It most certainly is..."
"Good, I've got just the person we need."

This was a strangely familiar voice. I had heard it at a Magic vs Blazers game I had watched. It sounded like...

"I am Richard DeVos, the owner of the Orlando Magic. As you might know, our old GM Otis Smith stepped down a few months back after the D12 saga. But yes, we want YOU to take the Magic to a title. What do you say, Mr Teletovic?"

I couldn't believe it. I was only a scout, and I was being asked to GM the MAGIC? This was the opportunity of a lifetime, to take a team from the bottom all the way to the top.

But then I thought, what about my wife Melissa and my daughter Georga? Will they cope with having to start a new life in Florida? Will they be happy that our family has to move to a better city to earn more money?

Ah, what am I thinking...

"I'll be there in a week. Consider me on board, Mr DeVos."

OzzieLaker

Postby OzzieLaker » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:05 am

So I have a few options. We have some pretty bad contracts on the team - I mean, really, REALLY bad contracts. Al Harrington, Hedo Turkoglu, Jameer Nelson just to name a few. Sure, they might be relative favourites amongst the fans, but they have to go at the first opportunity. We also have a really bad glut of power forwards with only one true center - the still developing Vucevic.

Thankfully, I find a few suitors for trades that will immediately help our team.

Orlando trade:
PG Jameer Nelson
SF Moe Harkless
2015 1st Round Pick

Memphis trade:
PG Mike Conley
C Hameed Haddadi
2013 1st Round Pick

Winner: Incomplete. It depends on whether new Orlando GM Predrag Teletovic decides to rebuild into 2015. If the pick is high, Memphis wins. If the pick is low, Orlando wins. Nonetheless, both teams get something good out of the trade, with Orlando getting a quality starting point and shedding salary in the process, and Memphis picking up a very good young prospect in Harkless.

But I'm not done yet.

Orlando trade:
PF Kyle O'Quinn
PF Glen Davis

Minnesota trade:
C Nikola Pekovic
2013 2nd Round Pick
2014 2nd Round Pick

Winner: Orlando. Pekovic is an upgrade on the still developing Nikola Vucevic at the starting center position. They also shed salary. For the T-Wolves, it's not so pretty, with Greg Stiemsma now being the only true center on the team. Strange trade by Minnesota.

One more to cut a bit of salary, and then I'm done.

Orlando trade:
PF Al Harrington
2015 2nd Round Pick

LA Clippers trade:
PG Chauncey Billups
SF Grant Hill

Winner: Orlando. Hill actually moves into the starting small forward position for the Magic, whilst Billups is a good backup point, and an expiring contract to boot. Harrington, whilst a good backup, is on a really bad contract. Some good first moves by new GM Predrag Teletovic.

Looking at the roster now, we now only have 3 power forwards, and have shed roughly 3-4 million in salary. That's a big win in my books.

A few actions that I complete before the season starts. I send the still developing E'Twaun Moore down to the D-League. I fire our head coach because really, Jacque Vaughn isn't going to lead us to a title. I hire the great Rudy Tomjanovic in his place on a 3-year deal.

nba.com has tipped us to finish 2nd last in the East. No surprises there. We still have a way to go to get to the top.

nba.com Pre-Season Power Rankings:

Western Conference:
1: LA Lakers
2: Utah
3: Denver
4: Oklahoma
5: San Antonio
Last: Houston

Interesting tips here. I don't know how the hell Utah is second - you shouldn't be ahead of OKC or the Spurs if you have Mo and Marvin Williams in your starting lineup. No way. Golden State could be a surprise package this year IMO, but they're tipped to be 11th.

Eastern Conference:
1: Miami
2: Philadelphia
3: Boston
4: New York
5: Brooklyn
Last: Charlotte

No surprises here, although I think New York could be a bit higher and the Sixers a bit lower. Atlanta and Indiana, who are tipped 9th and 11th respectively, could sneak into the playoffs as well.

We're ready.
OzzieLaker

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports