Kip Clark Staying with it

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:38 pm

I am accepting messages to be written in the icing.

My teams seem to win.
I set limits on recruiting and on getting transfers because it is too easy to land players that are better than I should be getting (at small, weak schools). I set limits on the abilities of assistant coaches I can hire, for the same reason. It's all on a sliding scale, since as Team prestige goes up so should all of that stuff.
Again, when I've played a lot of man, fuggitaboudit, I wind up playing the water boy and the mascot in the 4th quarter. If I play my PG at PG for more than 18-20 min. or so, he fouls out or stays in foul trouble. I keep having to switch PG and SG, or PG, and back up, then move PG to SG.
I DO use an underinflated ball.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:44 pm

Wayne23 wrote:hm. I wonder what we're doing differently. Where is your D Intensity level? Mine's at 6.

Mine is at 6 also.

:confused:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:11 pm

March 1980

Snow in Florida

Jane Fonda wins “People’s Choice” award. Right wingers go apoplectic

John Wayne Gacy found guilty of 33 murders (It’s the name)

J. R. is shot

March 4

“It’s #8 seed Weber ST in the G conf. tourney quarter finals. They’re 15-13, 8-8. We beat them by 10 and 23.”

“Ron here. I’m back with the coach. Coach, 63-56.”

“17 TOs almost did us in. We gave up 12 threes and we were listless, standing around on O. D was spotty. We need to wake up- fast.”

#5 seed NC A & T, 16-13, 9-7 next. We didn’t play them in the regular season.”

“3-3 in their last 6 but they looked good in both tourney games. They get their points outside.”

March 5

“Ron back after the game. 74-64. Coach?”

“We were never threatened. We had 12 TOs, which is the target, well the max for them not hearing about TOs. 27, 4, 3, 3 for Shay, 14, 11 for Jay.”

“#6 seed, 21-11, 9-7 Nebraska upset Wagner.”

“Yes. In a way we’re disappointed. Not to put Nebraska down at all but we never played Wagner and we would have liked to test ourselves against them. We beat Nebraska by 24 and they’ll be looking to avenge that, which makes them dangerous. As always, we need to take care of the ball. If we do, I think we’ll be okay.”

March 6

“Tough night, Coach.”

60-70. Congrats to Nebraska. Amazingly enough I can’t blame TOs, we only had 12 for +4. We were -9 on the boards, and we let them shoot 52% and 12 threes. Jay really did not play well but the biggest difference was bench play. They had 20, 9, 3, we had 5, 6, 2.”

“We’ll be with you and the team for the selection show in March 12.”

March 12

“Ron Dover with a special edition of ‘Sportstalk.’ We’re here with Coach Clark, Coach Montville, President Clark- oops, I should have started with the President, sorry, and the men’s and women’s UML hoops teams. The men’s selection show is about to begin. The men are #15, RPI #22. Coach, where and how high?”

(Laughs) “No idea. I’d love a #5 or #6 in the South or the West.”

“Here we go!

“Not in the East.

#6 in the Midwest. We’ll play #11 seed Colorado, 21-9; they’re in F. Coach?”

“They finished 2nd in conf., lost in the title game. 9-2 in the last 11. 1-0 vs. ranked teams. D is a little shaky. PG scores a lot of points, we should be able to turn them over, they’re decent inside.”

“Just want to let our listeners know that Coach’s assistants had LOTS of print outs on the possible teams they might face in Round One.”

(Laughs) “That’s right, Ron. I didn’t actually know all of that stuff off the top of my head.”

“Okay, now it’s the women’s turn. Coach Montville, what do you think?”

“#1 overall or something’s wrong. 29-1, 15-1, won our tourney, #1 ranked, #1 RPI, played 14 ranked teams during the season and beat 13 of them.”

“And… that didn’t take long! #1 overall.

(Cheers, hoots, hollers…) “What a great feeling. I’m so happy for my kids!”

“Coach, if you don’t win the national title will the season be a failure?”

“Ha! Well, I suppose to some people. I realize this is a cliché but we are absolutely taking all of this one game at a time. I can’t win the title in the first round. Can’t win it in the next to last round. We need to win the next game at that’s the only one I want us thinking about. The only caveat is that the staff have to be looking at the two teams we may face in the 2nd round. It’s okay to begin the preparation.”

“Great answer, and the very best of luck. WLOW will be bringing all of your game sto our fans. I’ll be doing every one that I can. I hope it works out that I get to do all of them because I love watching this team. President Clark. What does it mean to UML to have the men #6 ranked, and the women #1 overall?”

“It means exposure. When prospective students hear the name, and watch the team, a certain percent will become curious. Some of those will follow up. Bottom line? We have more applicants and we can select from a larger pool, and therefore wind up with higher quality students. Well, students with better qualifications. The other benefit is that it “rallies the troops.” Both current students and alums feel closer. For the students that’s great in lots of ways; we want them to identify more closely with the school, and to take more pride in being a student here. This does both of those things and some others. For alums in translates into more participation, and more donations, both of which are very important to us.”

“So the further the teams go, the more benefit to the university.”

“Exactly.”

“Well let’s hope both teams go deep into the tournament!”

March 13

“The lady River Hawks beat South Dakota ST, 89-37 tonight. Tammy Myers had 44, 12, 11, 10 steals, and 5 blocks. Maybe her best game ever.”

March 15

“The lady River Hawks advanced to the round of 16, 86-40 over South Florida. 49, 11, 9, 7, 5 for Tammy. Coach, she’s on a level that few if any women hoops players can reach.”

“Tammy’s potential is unlimited. None of this surprises me at all.”

Maryland is next.”

“Good school, good program. #4 seed. 26-6. They’ve got a good PG and they’re tough inside.”

“Good luck, Coach. We’ll be with you on March 20 at the University of Delaware. I have a plane to catch!”

March 16

“We’re here with Coach Clark, after the game. 55-42 over Colorado.”

“I was really happy with the D. 13 TOs but it was +5. 16, 7 for Kim, 13, 7, 3, 2 for Jim, 13, 4, 2, 3 for Shay. We didn’t get as lot from the bench. Good effort though.”

Next up is 21-10, 12-4 Sam Jones from F again.”

“Yes. They’re the team that beat Colorado in the title game after finishing 1st. 10-1 in their last 11. Played two ranked teams all year, 1-1. If they have a weakness it’s D. We think we can put up some points if we can knock down shots. They’re a half step slow. They get their points outside, they’re decent with the ball, they don’t rebound all that well. They do win though. OH, and they have a pretty good bench.”

“We’ll be there!”

March 18

“Ron Dover with Coach Clark. 79-64 over Sam Jones.”

“11 TOs. Ron, when we take care of the ball good things happen. 26, 3, 5 for Shay. 12, 10, 2, 3, 1 for Jay, 13, 5, 2 for Jim, who hasn’t gotten the notice he deserves. We worked the ball and got lots of open shots, and we hit them, 50% shooting.”

“Sweet 16 for the 9th time for you and for the team.”

“It was really upsetting to miss it last year. I hope we’ve got lots more basketball to play but it’s great to be here.”

Stan James Red Storm next.”

“Yes. A conf., 18-13, 8-8.
Finished tied for 8th, lost in the first round. They came here as a #7 seed, beat #10 W. VA., then caught a break when #15 seed UL Monroe upset #2 Wake Forest. They caught another break when a halfcourt shot went in at the buzzer to give them a 2 point win.”

“Are they on borrowed time?”

“You know, sometimes a team catches fire in the tournament. I hope that’s not the case, but it could be.”

“Strengths? Weaknesses?”

“Their #3 guard hurt his knee. He may play but I don’t think he’ll play a lot. Like the last 2 teams we played, they score outside. They’re decent with the ball. All 5 guys go to the boards and it often works for them.”

“And so?”

“If we take care of the ball and play the way we’re capable of playing we should be okay, but saying it and doing it are two different things.”

“I’m heading for Delaware. The ladies are up on Monday and we’re here starting at 7:00.”

March 20

Another win for the UML lady River Hawks! 89-44 over MD. They doubled her all night. They held her to 33, but she had 16 assists, 9 RBs, 9 steals, and 7 blocks. Coach, we may be out of things to say.”

“We invite teams to double her. She can find the open player when she’s under pressure better than anyone I’ve ever seen in the women’s game.”

ODU next, #2 seed, # 6 ranked, 24-6, 16-0 in A conf. Big, strong and deep inside. The best inside team we’ve since I got here.”

“The key?”

“We’re better at guard- not just Tammy, but overall. We need to prevent their guards from getting the ball inside to the big girls where they want it. When they do get it inside we need to big/little double.”

“Can’t wait! I’m staying right here with the team. We’re the 9:00 o’clock game so we’re here at 8:30 on Wednesday. Join us!”

March 22

“Ron Dover with Coach Montville. It’s like you wrote the script, Coach, 81-49.”

“We did a great job of stopping their inside game and we stayed out of trouble doing it.”

“And Tammy.”

“It seems like she was taking it away from big girls all night.”

“14 steals. I had one of our people tracking how many held balls she caused- 11. 39 points, 5, RBs, 12 assists, 2 blocks.”

“There’s only one Tammy Myers!”

“Final Four. You play another big team, USC in the round of 4. It’s La. Tech vs. Texas on the other side.”

“USC is #4 ranked, #3 RPI, 27-6
. Two outstanding big kids, and a Shooting Guard who can light it up.”

“Same strategy as last game?”

“No, that won’t work. The SG will kill us. We’re going to pack it in with a combo of 2-3 and man. The three bigs stay inside. Terry and Rachel Breen, our guards play man. Rachel on the PG, Terry on the big outside scorer. We’re ready to vary it as need be but that’s where we’ll start.”

“March 29 on the UCLA campus, 9:30 game, 9:00 broadcast. See you then!”

March 23

Coach Clark, 58-52, and you’re in the Elite Eight, for the second time in program history.”

“I do like the sound of that! 17 TOs, -6, but that isn’t going to change, I’m guessing. +13 RBs. RBs and outside shooting won it. 21, 5, 3 for Shay, 17, 4, 4 for Shep.”

#11 Mississippi ST., #4 seed.”

“That’s an opportunity. #1 went out early. MS ST is a very good team though. C conf., finished in a 3 way tie for 1st in conf., upset in the 1st round by Daytona who are still alive. Won 6 of 7, 12 of last 14. 26-5, 13-3. Very balanced scoring, no one stands out at all. We think we can turn them over, and we also think we can win the inside battle. BUT, we’d better come to play.”

“We’ll be there!”

March 25

We’re back at the conclusion of the biggest win in UML men's hoops history. Coach, MS ST 60, UML 72, and we’re going to the Final Four!”

“… There are no words…”

“Our 5 starters each had between 10 and 13 points. Bry had 8, 3, Hart had 6, 4 from the bench. 12 TOs for +6, 32 RBs for +5. If we had a star it was Jay, 13, 6, 5, 4.”

“I’m sort of stunned, sorry…”

“And UML President Grace Clark just got here and gave the Coach a huge hug and a kiss. That’s probably not normally the case between a Pres. And the coach but in this case, since they’re married, it’s okay. Coach, tell us a little about the game.”

“We never trailed. We decided to switch defenses every time down court. Whoever got back first would yell a color in the first half, a fruit in the 2nd, and that would tell the guys what the D was. MS ST had a really tough time adjusting to the changing defenses.”

“Couldn’t they figure the code?”

“It was a little more complicated than I just explained and I’m not telling.”

“Cool!”

“They have a lot of balance on O so we didn’t focus on anyone, just tried to play good D. I really think taking care of the ball was a huge factor, but we did most things well.”

“#1 in the country Syracuse in the round of 4.”

“Yes, but it’s a weird year. There were no really dominant teams this year. Syracuse is only 28-6, 11-5. They were upset in the first round of the conf. A tourney. They closed strong, 9 wins in the last 10, and all of their losses were to teams ranked #12 or higher. Make no mistake this will be tough.”

“But not impossible.”

“6 teams have beaten them. If we play our best ball it could be very interesting.”

“Their Center is the best big man in the country. If not the best player he’s 2nd. They score outside. They don’t turn it over. They play solid D. They only have that one good rebounder.”

“So how do you beat them?”

“We can’t let them do the things they want to do, and we need to play smart on O and find the open man. We need to rebound. Well, we need to play really well.”

“We’ll be there, with both the men and the women- let me say it again, at the FINAL FOUR!!!”
Wayne23

Postby CoachC » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Ill have to send you the message for the icing in s PM Wayne, because it isn't quite PG rated. Not sure why you set house limits on recruiting when you have said previously that Brutal is impossible. *shrugs* I'm finding the hard setting to be realistic for me thus far given my team prestige.

I understand what you mean about playing man,, but in CB3 playing zone only seems to exacerbate the problem. What I said earlier, i decided to implment in this season. I'm not playing 90% man and saying to hell with foul trouble. In the 2 games since I implemented thiis philosophy my opponents have shot a combined 37% from the field and only 25% from 3. What's more, in the most recent game on the road the opposition only got to the line 5 times. I'm convinced.
CoachC

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:54 pm

I don't use brutal; it's impossible. That's why I use house limits!

You wrote, "I'm not playing 90% man..."

Was the "not" a mistake?
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:20 am

March 29

“Ron Dover here at the Women’s Final Four. #1 seed UML vs. #4 USC. We talked about it last week. USC has two really good big kids and a guard who can shoot the lights out. Coach Montville feels she has a strategy to deal with that, and a team that can do what needs doing. We’ll be back.”

“We’re here with Coach Peg Montville. 76-62.”

“Great win. USC played really smart basketball. They found ways to get it inside, and found ways to get it to their outside shooter. We played really good D, good enough to win, but they scared us. We were down 6 at the half and they got it 9 on the first possession of the 2nd.

“Then it became the Terry Myers show. She made a three, got a steal, made a three, got a rebound, drove to the basket, made the layup and got fouled, then completed the old fashioned three, forced a turnover, dished to our Center who scored, and we were suddenly up 2, our first lead of the game. They hit a two, Terry got yet another 3, and on it went. We got the lead to 21. We cleared the bench at the end. Terry wound up with 30, 8, 11, 9, 3.”

“Louisiana Tech for the title.”

“We’re all excited. Leon Barmore is a great coach and he has some fine players. They’re 28-2, #2 seed, #2 RPI.”

“What do they do?”

“They win! They’re very guard oriented. They shoot a lot of threes, and a lot of midrange shots. That’s their strength and it’s a huge strength. Inside they’re only average. We really need to get it to our bigs and they need to finish.”

“But what about Tammy?”

“She’ll do what she does but this will be the best outside D she’s ever faced, and it will be the biggest challenge to her defensive game. First and foremost she can NOT get into foul trouble.”

“March 31. Game time 9:00 p.m. We’re here at 8:30.”

March 31

“Coach, I’m worn out. I can’t imagine how you must feel.”

“Ron, I can’t even think.”

“Maybe the best big time women’s basketball game ever played. It was a real defensive battle all the way, and all the way was a very long time. 76-75 in triple OT. Fittingly enough, Tammy Myers hit a 21 footer at the buzzer for the win.”

“Coach, you didn’t call a TO.”

“Coach Barmore had just called one for his last possession. We talked about how to defend, and what to do if we were behind. They hit a 2 to take a 75-73 lead with 5 seconds left, which is more time than it sounds like. Our plan was what everyone knew it would be. Get it to Tammy and let her find a way. We didn’t care if she took a 2 or a 3. As it turned out she had a contested three and she banged it home.”

“National Women’s basketball champs! Amazing!”

“Again, I’m too drained to really appreciate it right now. Don’t get me wrong, it’s beyond wonderful but my head is spinning.”

“The players are running and yelling and jumping around.”

“It’s great to be young and I couldn’t be happier for all of them.”

“The stat sheet looks very different. 37 of our 75 were scored inside by our bigs. Tammy had 21, her lowest total in the postseason. She also had 7 RBs, 13 assists, only 3 steals, 2 blocks, and 3 TOs.”

“For anyone else that would be terrific. For her it’s below average. That says a lot.”

“It also says a lot that she played the entire 55 minutes, the last 22 with 4 fouls.”

“I trusted her not to commit #5.”

“Yeah but a bad call can kill you in that situation.”

“She knew how to back off before that could happen.”

“We’ll be with Coach Montville on April 4 for awards. And once again, I have a plane to catch.”

April 1

“Ron Dover at the men’s Final Four. #6 ranked Virginia just beat #13 North Carolina. And the game between #1 in the country Syracuse and #15 UML is almost ready to start. Syracuse is an 8.5 point favorite.”

“We’re back with Coach Clark. 56-74. Coach?”

“It was a really sloppy game. They had 15 turnovers we had 21. Hate to see Shay Gann end his college career with 9 TOs but they doubled the ball a lot, with excellent defenders. Our starters all had 9, 10, or 11 points but we didn’t get much from our bench. We rebounded well, +5. A very large factors was three point shooting. They made 13, we made 6. Point wise that’s more than the final margin. We didn’t play well but a big reason for that was the fact that Syracuse had more talent. It was a great season and I’m very proud of my guys.”

“We’ll be with both of our coaches on April 4 to talk about awards.”

April 4

“Ron Dover with the coaches. First of all, Coach Clark, you were beaten by the national champions.”

“Heck of a title game, Syracuse 84, Virginia 83.”

“Coach Montville, you guys picked up some hardware.”

“We did, Terry Myers was Tournament MOP, national POY, national Defensive POY, Winner of the Norton Award, and, of course, first team All American. In conf. she got all of those things as well. Rachel Breen and our junior Center Kate Milton both made 2nd team.”

“And you got both national and conf. COY.”

“That was nice.”

“Coach Clark?”

“Nothing nationally, but in conf., Jay Son was POY and 1st team, with Shay Gann and Jim Jones. Shep Wool made 2nd team.”

“And you were conf. COY
. We’ll be back at the end of the month to wrap things up with our two coaches.”

April 23

“Ron Dover with the coaches. Coach Montville, it was a magical season, 34-1, conf. title, conf. tourney title, national championship, national player and coach of the year.”

“All our dreams came through.”

“Next year?”

“We aren’t losing anyone who played more than 2-3 minutes a game and we got 2 recruits we really wanted. If we stay healthy, look out world!”

“And what did you ask the A. D. for?”

“Recruiting money. And we got $8,500. Oh, I got a raise!”

“Thanks Coach. Coach Clark. First men’s trip to the final four.”

“It was pretty magical for us, also. Congratulations to my good friend and colleague Peg Montville, incidentally. We are very happy with our season. We had some struggles, but it turned out pretty well.”

28-9, regular season conf. title, lost in the tourney title game, final four. All sorts of conf. awards. Team Prestige up to 48. What did you ask the A. D. for?”

“Recruiting money. We got a little less than Peg, $6, 750,
but we had a much larger budget than she did. Oh, I got a raise, too. I am no longer the lowest paid coach in Division I!

(Laughs) “17 seasons as a head coach, all here. 441-124, .781. O- 67, D- 85, Recruit- 80, Scout- 11, Player Development- 84, Reputation- 84. You’re losing only Shay Gann. What does the future hold?”

“Shay is a big loss but we have a few guys who we think can do a good job at the Point for us. We’re moving up to F, as you said, so the challenge is there. We hope to be able to meet it.”

“Great season for UML men’s and women’s basketball. I’m Ron Dover, and I have one more season at the mike- assuming I actually pass!”
Wayne23

Postby CoachC » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:52 am

Wayne23 wrote:I don't use brutal; it's impossible. That's why I use house limits!

You wrote, "I'm not playing 90% man..."

Was the "not" a mistake?

yes, it was supposed to be now, but i've settled into 70% man and practicing just one zone. The defense recently has been superb and we are sending the opposition to the line less and less. Forcing lots of turnovers out of man too.
CoachC

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:10 pm

I am pondering what you and PG have said about using man. I will definitely give it a try with my next association- COMING SOON, to forums near you!!!
Wayne23

Postby CoachC » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:29 am

in my most recent game on the road i was getting thoroughly torched by a sharpshooter on the opposing team, mostly from beyond the arc. The last 32 minutes of the I played strictly man, double teaming the scorer and switching assignments on everyone else. In the 2nd half, playing nothing but man, we held them to 14 pts as a team, and no one on my team was ever in serious foul trouble. Despite the fact they were playing about 90% zone throughout, we still got to the line a lot more. It does help that I have pretty decent depth this year and can easily go 9 or 10 deep (now that we're finally healthy) without losing a lot of momentum especially in the front court. The fact that I have mostly Juniors and Seniors in the rotation undoubtedly helps.
CoachC

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:49 pm

Interesting
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports