WhoÂ’s Bret Vandergard and whatÂ’s he done for us lately?

Re: WhoÂ’s Bret Vandergard and whatÂ’s he done for us lately

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Do NOT p*ss off da mob!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Erick McGadney, 1st Assistant Coach

Postby PointGuard » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:13 am

Post-Game Incident: PF Jimmy Woni went off after the game complaining about not getting enough playing time and how he should be playing in place of Ricky Lee.
Coach V was quick to pull Woni aside and chew him out. Woni was unrepentant. Woni is now suspended for the next 2 games.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Meaghan Kriley

Postby PointGuard » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:26 am

Against my better judgement I said “yes”. To what you might ask. Well, Bret asked me to join him for a weekend at Alexei Koramatsov’s condo in the Ozarks just over the state line in Arkansas. I am co-anchor of the nightly news for KSMO TV in Springfield, so work weekdays and have weekends off. We were to go down there on Saturday morning and return Sunday afternoon.

So when Bret asked, I said “yes”, then kicked myself in the butt because it meant being around Alexei. Alexei is a big talker but does have a good sense of humor. He seems to be rolling in money and that’s part of my aversion since it’s hard to figure out where he gets it from. He says he’s an entrepreneur and has owned and sold a lot of businesses, but he’s pretty vague on just what they were. And then there’s his glances, smirks, and sly smiles toward me. He does this when no one else is looking so I seem to be the only one who notices. I also vividly remember his suggestive remarks while Bret and I were on his boat a while back.

Anyway, I had said I’d go and didn’t want to wreck what little time Bret gets away from his all-encompassing coaching duties. So he and I drove down there early Saturday morning. It was a nice drive and I think Bret enjoyed our conversation as much as did I.

It turns out Alexei’s condo is up on the top of a small mountain in a remote area of Arkansas. When we arrived the overly-sexy Candy Marshall and her generous Double-D’s came out to greet us, a bit too passionately with her greeting of Bret to my way of thinking.

Alexei was his usual self…an overly-indulgent host. But actually the day went pretty well and both Bret and I were able to relax from what have been highly stressful jobs. The expensive, but divine, Chateau Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon of which Alexei had a surprisingly big supply probably helped with the relaxation. It also probably helped me foolishly offer to prepare dinner. Alexei had some fresh scallops and butternut squash so I decided to make Scallops with Butternut Squash Caponata. Alexei’s kitchen had all the necessary ingredients except pinenuts and capers. I said, I could prepare it without those, but the others all said I should have everything that is part of the recipe.

Bret offered to drive down the mountain to the nearest store. There was no way of talking him out of it. Then as he was heading for the door, Candy said she had forgotten to bring her makeup and would tag along with Bret to pick them up at a drugstore. Sure!

So I continued my preparations for dinner while Alexei rattled on about nearly everything under the sun and kept refilling my wine glass. He said he didn’t know much about cooking so wanted to watch what I was doing. Then while I was busily preparing the ingredients for our salad, he came up behind me and ran his hands over my body. While I said, “stop it”, I didn’t immediately physically stop him as I would normally have done had I not had so much wine. But my mind finally cleared sufficiently to allow me to turn and abruptly push him away while forcefully telling him to leave me alone. He laughed and said he wasn’t a rapist, but he knew I liked it…and besides “Bret owes me.” All I could say was, “GET...OUT…OF THE KITCHEN…NOW!” Giving me a wink he turned and went into the living room. I was so nervous I almost couldn’t continue preparing the dinner, but remained in the kitchen where the knives were ready at hand.

Bret and Candy returned about 30 minutes later and Bret was in a good mood, telling Alexei that the condo was so far out off the beaten path that it was more like a hide-out than a luxury condo. He and Alexei kidded around so much that I’m sure Bret didn’t even notice that I was upset. I finished preparing dinner and we ate, but I then said I wasn’t feeling well and thought I better head back home. Alexei feigned empathy and said that it might be better just for me to get some sleep at the condo and return when I felt better in the morning. I gave him a cold stare and was adamant about leaving.

Very few words came out of my mouth on my ride home with Bret. He probably thought I really was sick. I considered telling him about the incident, but was embarrassed that I had not stopped Alexei immediately and also worried that Bret might think I had misinterpreted or over-reacted. So I just silently resolved to limit further interaction with Alexei and to never be placed in a position where I would be alone with him.

Not only is Alexei a slime ball around me, but there’s something fishy about him. Is he involved in drugs? Is he conducting online fraud and scams? Well, hey! I’m an investigative reporter. So I have the wherewithal to unofficially investigate that low-life.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Paris George, 3rd Assistant Coach

Postby PointGuard » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:57 pm

Game #12, Jan. 4, 2019: Missouri State Bears (7-4, 1-1) at Drake Bulldogs (10-3, 1-1)

Drake has 3 players averaging in double figures (PF Kevin Jackson-13.3 ppg, PG Mark Davey-10.7 ppg, and C Dupree Weathers-10.1 ppg). They have wins over Virginia Tech, Northwestern, and Rutgers, were champions of the Alaskan Classic, and an overtime loss to #7 Maryland. They have the 19th best RPI in the country. Taking them on in Des Moines, Iowa will be a big challenge. They’ve won all their games there thus far.

Kenneth Grandison continues to impress at PF and Coach V has him starting again. Hopefully he not only scores but is able to control Kevin Jackson. Quinton Asbury continues to start ahead of Aaron Wells at SF.

Our first 10 points are all scored by our big men. But the Bulldogs hit 5 of 7 from beyond the arc and take an 26-12 lead with 8 minutes to play in the first half. We chip away but Drake continues to drop shots in from far outside, hitting 8 of 12 of their 3’s to put us into a 43-33 halftime hole. PG Bart McCain spearheads our offense with 13 points. But Kevin Jackson scores 11 for the Bulldogs.

We come out strong in the 2nd half and 51-50 lead in the first 6-1/2 minutes of play in the half. But the Bulldogs pound the ball inside with Kevin Jackson tearing our defense apart to storm back to a 5 point lead. We chip away to close to within a single point with 4 minutes to play. Drake then turns it on to pull away to a 75-67 advantage with under a minute to play. There’s not enough time to come back and we drop a game we had a chance to win. Our defense was just too porous, allowing Drake to hit 60% of their FG attempts (and 52% of their 3’s). Our advantage in rebounds (30-23) and turnovers (16-13) as well as PG Bart McCain’s best game wasn’t enough to overcome that.

Final Score: Drake—75, Missouri State (7-5, 1-2, 6th place tie)—70.

Leading players for Missouri State: PG Bart McCain-27 pts, 6 assists, 6 reb, 2 steals; C Joey Jones-10 pts, 9 reb, 2 steals.

Player of the Game: Drake’s PF Kevin Jackson-26 pts, 1 assist, 6 reb, 1 block.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Bryson Chambers, state legislator representing Springfield

Postby PointGuard » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:55 am

Game #13, Jan. 7, 2019: Loyola-Chicago Ramblers (8-4, 2-1) at Missouri State Bears (7-5, 1-2)

I’m making my annual foray to Missouri State to ingratiate myself with their fans. The game holds no interest for me, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And these folks represent votes and, more importantly, campaign funds. I’m hoping to move up the political ladder in the next couple years, so money is a necessary component of my strategy. So I’ll glad hand the folks here and present an award to the university at halftime. These folks eat up awards, so being the person to present one leaves a lasting impression in their minds. I’m hoping the Bears win because their fans in a good mood means they have a more favorable impression of me being here with them.

Don’t expect a full-blown recap of this game. I’ll watch as much as I have to so I can talk somewhat intelligently with the fans, but to me, basketball is just a frivolous display of a bunch of guys running up and down the court. I really don’t see what anyone sees in it.

I told you basketball was boring. The refs kept stopping the game with fouls and travelling calls. I thought the first half would never end. 20 minutes took what seemed like an hour. And the Bears stuck up the gym and trailed 45-37 at the break. Brent Gregory scored 10 points for Missouri State but only was on the floor for 4 minutes because the refs kept calling stupid fouls on him. The Bears other starting guard, Bart McCain went to the bench a minute later than Gregory with foul problems.

The Bears stunk in the first half and they stunk worse in the 2nd half. A total waste of time coming to this game if you were a fan of Missouri State basketball. They poor play put the crowd in a surly mood and made my electioneering difficult.

Final Score: Loyola-Chicago—85, Missouri State (7-6, 1-3, 7th place tie)—68.

Leading players for Missouri State: SG Brent Gregory-14 pts, 2 assists, 2 reb, 1 steal; PF Ricky Lee-11 pts, 5 reb, 1 steal; PG Bart McCain-8 pts, 2 assists, 2 reb, 1 steal; PF Aaron Wells-8 pts, 4 reb; PG Terrance Simmons-8 pts.

Player of the Game: Loyola-Chicago’s SG Bryant Crocker-24 pts, 1 assist, 7 reb, 2 steals, 1 block.

Others for Loyola-Chicago: SF Ricardo Canty-20 pts, 2 assists, 3 reb.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Cal Phillips, Missouri State athletic department janitor

Postby PointGuard » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:53 pm

This team's in a real slump and they go back on the road for their next game. I heard a lot of rumbling in the locker room after practices. Some of these guys listen to me since they know I played a lot of ball as a young man, so I tried to turn around their bad attitudes. I’m not sure if I had any success with that though. They’re a pretty sorry bunch of guys right now. Several of the guys are blaming Coach V for how things have been going. You know, guys thinking they should be on the court more time, guys feeling the Coach has let them down planning for and executing a solid game plan, things like that. Ultimately the only thing that’s going to turn around attitudes is for them to begin winning again. I’m just not sure how ready they are to pull together to do that.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Meaghan Kriley, KSMO TV News Anchor

Postby PointGuard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:15 am

My solo investigation of Alexei Karamatsov isn’t progressing as quickly as I had hoped, but since I’m doing it during my non-working hours, I’ve not had as much time as I would have liked to work on this. But, I’ve determined that his claim to be a big time entrepreneur is bogus. He has no record of owning and selling companies. He emigrated from the Ukraine at the age of 20 on his own. The rest of his family remains in the Ukraine. He spent his early years in New York City and didn’t move out to Missouri until 6 years ago. He owns his home in Springfield outright and has only a small mortgage on his condo in the Ozarks. His work record is spotty and doesn’t provide a means for his acquisition of wealth. But I have yet to be able to get a handle on how he made his money in the U.S.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Tyson Rodero, play-by-play announcer for KSMO radio

Postby PointGuard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:22 am

Game #14, Jan. 11, 2019: Missouri State Bears (7-6, 1-3) at Evansville Purple Aces (4-8, 1-3)

TR: I’m here tonight with Flash Borden who has been fielding your comments and questions about the Bears on his nightly sports show on KSMO radio. So Flash, what is up with this team?

FB: I think that’s the question everyone is asking. The Bears played well in pre-conference play against some tough competition and were picked to win the Missouri Valley Conference this year. Thus far they have fizzled in conference play. They’re just not gelling as a team. Beyond Bart McCain and Brent Gregory, the other players are just not playing with any consistency. Seems like a guy will have a good game and then 2 or 3 bad ones.

TR: Yes, the coaches seem confused too. They’ve been starting a different group most every game.

FB: That’s right, Tyson. It’s like coaches are throwing darts to decide who will start at the 3, 4 and 5 positions. And whoever they choose may or may not show up to play well. But it’s a very young team. 9 of the 13 scholarship players are freshmen or sophomores and the entire front line is freshmen and sophomores. So I think there is a leadership vacuum.

TR: Turnovers have been a problem lately also.

FB: The team has definitely been turning the ball over more during this losing streak that they were earlier in the season. Again, though, that’s just a result of the team not playing all that well together lately.

TR: Well, we’re ready for the tip-off, Flash. Let’s see how the Bears do against a team they’re tied with at the bottom of the conference standings.
The Bears let Evansville get some easy baskets inside on those first two possessions.
Wells hits a baseline jumper and is fouled. He drops in the free throw to make it 10-8 in favor of Missouri State.
Aaron Wells puts up a long 3 pointer and it drops! That puts the Bears ahead 15-6 with 13:52 remaining in the first half. Wells how has 8 points.
Wow! The fouls keep mounting up on both teams. Bart McCain will go to the line for the Bears. He makes the first and misses the second to give the Bears a 24-14 lead. This team of refs must have all got shiny new whistles for Christmas.
Another inside bucket for the Purple Aces. That’s 8 unanswered points cutting the lead to 24-22.
Kenneth Grandison takes a pass deep down along the right baseline. He fakes his man and then puts up a shot that falls through the silks to put the Bears ahead 32-27 with 90 seconds to go in the half.
Evansville’s Marty Rollerson puts up a 30 footer at the buzzer that goes in to knot the score at 34-34 as the teams head off the floor for the break.
Evansville hit 63% of their shots in the first half. The Bears need to not let them get so many easy shots. Aaron Wells 8 points led the Bear’s attack.
Following the 4th straight turnover by Evansville, the Bears finally convert as Gregory hits a 3 from the right corner to make it 41-36, Bears.
Simmons shot misses, but Hollins get the offensive rebound out in the key and puts it back up. He’s fouled on the shot and goes to the line for 2 shots. He sinks both shots to give him 10 points and put the Bears ahead 54-43 with 10:52 on the clock.
Bart McCain drives down the lane, puts up a contested shot that drops. There’s a time out on the floor with 3:48 to play and the Bears on top 60-54.
The ball goes over to Brent Gregory. He’s free for a 3 pointer and it drops to make the score 65-56 with 2:09 left. That’s 16 points for Gregory.
Grandison chips in a 3 with 25 seconds to go. 71-61 now.
The buzzer sounds. Missouri State has broken their 3 game loss streak with a 73-61 victory. While outshot 51% to 42%, the Bears held a 24-23 rebounding advantage and more importantly a 20-13 turnover advantage.
Final Score: Missouri State (8-6, 2-3, 6th place tie)—73, Evansville—61.

Leading players for Missouri State: SG Brent Gregory-16 pts, 2 assists, 3 reb, 1 steal; PG Bart McCain-11 pts, 4 assists, 1 reb, 1 steal; C Marquis Hollins-10 pts, 1 assist, 7 reb; SF Aaron Wells-9 pts, 2 steals.

Player of the Game: SG Brent Gregory-16 pts, 2 assists, 3 reb, 1 steal.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:17 pm

"Flash Borden?"
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:15 pm

Wayne23 wrote:"Flash Borden?"

LOL
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports