Temporary Like Achilles

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:26 am

You got him! When we have you over to Coach Karabinakis' house for dinner, you'll be glad it's all Greek to you. Maria is quite the cook!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:16 am

We start at 2-3 Air Force, another team with a strong C. He isn’t that tall but he is wide and strong, and he scores, rebounds and plays defense.

December 3: Amazingly, we hold them to 15 in the first half and go on to win 67-46. 21 and 15 for Kal, who ate up their C. 18 and 10 for Rahm, 12, 7, 3 for Art King. Except for the one stumble we’ve played really well so far.

My father in law, Demetrius, has taken to dropping by the office. He is very popular with the athletic department staff. He is a story teller and a charmer and he seems to brighten everyone’s day. I must speak with Maria though. He is most welcome but I cannot have him here too often. The occasional visit will be a delight but too frequent visits will turn him into an annoyance, and will lead to his feelings being hurt, sooner or later. Maria is wonderful about handling this type of situation and I have every confidence that she will solve the issue.

We are at 3-4 Valparaiso next. We did not go home but simply traveled west. We have our school assignments with us. It is not a good situation though. The players practice, go to study hall, eat together, but even with studying there is too much free time. They are bored. We organize trips to movies, museums, parks, whatever is in the area where we are staying, but again, it is not good. And we will be away for a long time still. Maintaining focus is sure to become a problem.

Yet again we face a team with a strong Center. These things seem to run in cycles. Next year everyone will have strong Shooting Guards, or Small Forwards. With Kal in the middle I feel comfortable about facing a good Center.

December 6: Valparaiso chose to play slow down basketball. Their defense was very effective and this tactic worked for most of the game. With 3:29 left we were up 52-51, without the ball. They missed a three point shot, we rebounded, and then we proceeded to score the last six points to win 58-51.

It was good test though. I was pleased with the fact that we did not lose our poise or our patience.

Kal neutralized their C. Jon had 19 and Rick 14 with 6 assists.

We are averaging 15.4 turnovers per game, much better than last season.
My goal as a coach is always 12 turnovers or less but that may be unrealistic at present.

We are going home for two days. I want the boys to sleep in their own beds.
It may not happen again for almost two weeks if we are successful in Las Vegas.

“Achilles, my husband.”

“Yes Maria.”

“It is good to see you.”

“As always, my wife, I miss you when I am away. Yes, it is good to be home, even if it is briefly.”

“I must discuss a situation that has arisen.”

“I am listening.”

“There is a man who is very interested in Maria.”

“WHAT! What do you mean!”

“Oh… no, no, nothing like that. This man has a very famous dance studio in Cleveland. I am told it is the very best in this entire part of the country.”

“Yes?”

“He saw Maria dance at a competition and he is very interested in her. He feels she has the potential to be a very talented dancer.”

“We were always told that she started too late, that the really great dancers began at age two or three.”

“Yes, this is true, but he says it is a factor that can be overcome.”

“What are you asking?”

“I am not certain. This may be a wonderful opportunity and I would like us to at least investigate further.”

“Yes, that is fine. And what does Maria say?”

“She is tempted. You know how much she loves dance, but at the same time she is determined to pursue her studies and to become a veterinarian. She cannot do both.”

“This is true. I suggest we meet this man and speak with him, with Maria joining us, of course. At that point the three of us can sit and make some decisions.”

“Will you contact him?”

“Yes, I will.”

We are at 3-4 Wisconsin-Green Bay next. They like to work the ball inside.

December 10: Rahm and Art were virtually unchallenged tonight. Rahm had 27, 8, 2, and Art 25, 6, 2. We had 11 TOs. The final was 89-72.

We are scoring lots of points this year, 75.0 is our average. Perhaps we have too easy a schedule. We will be playing stronger opponents in Las Vegas, and we play Arizona soon after. Those games may bring us back to reality.

We had a long, very interesting meeting with the dance master. Afterward my wife, my daughter and I discussed our options. My daughter Maria, while tempted by the opportunity, felt that the sacrifices involved were more than she was willing to make. In a very mature fashion she decided that the pursuit of a career in veterinary medicine was preferable to pursuing the dance opportunity. She will continue at her present dance studio. When I called to inform the dance master it was clear that he was disappointed. I am proud of my daughter for making the choice she made.

We are making little progress in the pursuit of our last two recruits. They both continue to show slight interest in the program but no more. Since there are really no other viable options at present we will continue our efforts with both of them.

The road grows more tedious by the day. We are at 3-3 Army next. They are strong at PG and SF out of the triangle.

December 13: We contained their PG but their SF had a big game. We led most of the way but it remained close throughout. At the end we won 70-65.

Kal led us once again with 23, 7, 2. Art had 13 and 11. Unfortunately we had a season high 22 turnovers. We countered that by being +13 in rebounds.

We are off to Las Vegas.
Wayne23

Postby CoachC » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:33 am

Great! I love Mediterranean food!
CoachC

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:42 am

"Maria, set another place at the table."
Wayne23

Postby CoachC » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:59 am

Give me some Taboulli, Kalafel, and some Lamb however you want to serve it to me and wrap it all up in grape leaves! (Peoria has the largest per capita population of Lebanese descendents of any metropolitan area in the US...may not QUITE be greek, but it's close enough! lol)
CoachC

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:30 am

Well we were having franks and beans but...
Wayne23

Postby CoachC » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 am

slap em on some pita bread...uh.... maybe i need to give yoiur wife some cooking lessons?
CoachC

Postby PointGuard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:22 pm

CoachC wrote:well, you KNEW someone was gonna say it sometime...and PG is always so quick with the bad jokes, i thought i'd beat him to it once! lol

*puts this away in my "you owe Coach a slam" file
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:47 pm

We are the #7 seed in this eight team tourney. We play #2 seed, 3-4, LSU. SG and SF do a lot of scoring but they do work it inside. On D it’s all man to man.

December 16: As fierce a battle as we’ve been in, 86-93, OT. We fought long and hard in this one and almost pulled it off. We got the last shot in regulation. Jon Morr’s 15 footer rimmed out after circling twice. Then in OT they hit shots, we didn’t. 31, 9 for Kal. We knew their SG and SF were their scorers and that’s the way it turned out. We tried several things but never really stopped those two.

A quick exit, but we played well and it’s difficult to be too disappointed.

At 5-5 Arizona in our last pre-conference game. They score at all positions except the Point, and he dishes well. They have a very balanced attack.

They’ve been very up and down so far.

December 21: We talked about bouncing back before the game, how we did not want to lose two in a row before beginning conference play. And then we came out on fire, building a lead of as many as 23 before ending the half up 43-22. The front court did the damage but the back court got the ball inside and took great care of the ball, committing only 4 TOs in the first. At the end it was 68-57, but it really wasn’t that close. 21, 9 for Kal, 15, 5 for Rahm, 12, 7 for Art, 11 TOs, +10 RBs.

We are at 9-2, with an RPI of 20 heading to conference play.

We had a great holiday. I gave the team a few days off to get home to celebrate with family. It was back to practice on the 26th.

5-6 Bowling Green is in to start conference play. They have struggled against good teams.

December 31: A good start to the conference season. Their SG had a good night and kept them close for a long time, but we adjusted, slowed him up, and won 89-72. Kal had 21 and 14, Jon 17 and 6. 21 TOs, which has me shaking my head.

We travel to 7-5 Buffalo. They’ve won 4 in a row but against weak teams.

January 4: We just keep rolling, 68-56, one of our lower scoring games, but we were in control all the way. Only 13 TOs. Kal led us again, but everyone contributed.

At 5-8 Kent State. They’ve really struggled lately.

January 7: The road jumped up and bit us. We had a really good first half, going in up by 7, but I didn’t feel a lot of energy. When we came out for the second there was none. We lost the lead and seemed to stand and watch as Kent State drove down the highway, leaving us in the dust. 58-73. Frankly, this was overdue, the road has been endlessly long. We’ll keep going and we won’t make a big deal of this. I need to remember not to work the guys too hard in practice. We will need those legs strong.

A home game before yet two more on the road. 6-8, 2-1 Ohio is in. They run a balanced attack and play man.

January 11: Rahm was unstoppable tonight, 25 and 12. 17 for Kal and a 73-52 win. 9 TOs. Why are we so up and down in this category. It is maddening. Still, we are averaging 15.4, which is a big improvement.

“Achilles, my husband.”

“Yes Maria.”

“I have been thinking.”

“This is good, Maria. You are a very good thinker.”

“As you know I have always been interested in philosophy, particularly our own ancient Greek philosophers.”

“I know this. You have always read their work, and the criticism of their work, and articles and books related to or based upon their work.”

“Yes. And so I have been thinking.”

“And…?”

“And… our situation as a family has changed. The children are growing and will soon leave us.”

“Alas, this is true. Achilles will leave in only a few months.”

“And Maria in a couple of years.”

“And so? Maria, you usually have no difficulty in expressing your thoughts.”

“Achilles, I wish to return to school.”

“Ah.”

“When we met I was studying philosophy and I loved it. I got my degree but then we were married and the children came. I begrudge and regret none of that. I have been very happy. But I am not needed so much in that role any more. As I think about my future I find that a return to academia is very compelling for me.”

“So you wish to pursue a Master’s degree in philosophy?”

“No, I wish to pursue a Ph. D. in philosophy.”

“I think this is a wonderful idea, I applaud you and I will support you.”

“Oh Achilles, I was certain that you would feel this way but still I was nervous to ask.”

“Whatever for? You have always had my support.”

“Yes, but I have also always been right here for whatever you needed, whenever you needed it.”

“Ah. Maria, I believe our love is strong enough that this change will not harm us. Indeed I believe it will bring us closer together. Please apply here, or wherever you wish to apply. Understand though, a Ph. D. normally takes three or four years. I may not be here in Akron for that long.”

“I have considered that possibility. I believe that the courses I will take in at least the first year, and perhaps in the second year as well, will be transferable. At least most of them will be.”

“I am happy for you that you have made this decision.”

“I hope to be accepted and to begin in the fall, or perhaps even to take a course in the summer. I will not neglect my duties at home but there may be changes and accommodations to be made."

"We will speak with your parents and with the children. All will be well.”

We go to 1-14, 0-4 Miami of Ohio. Last year they were the class of the conference. Everyone graduated and they have had two ACLs. As I have said before this is the kind of game that scares the h*ll out of me. They have nowhere to go but up, and we’re up.

January 14: Okay, no need to worry, 74-45. It was never a game. I played everyone and everyone contributed. 16 TOs, too many against this team.

I’m giving more minutes to Jay Gore, who has really been producing up front.

At Eastern Michigan, 10-6, 3-2, before we come home for three games. I need to keep the focus. The guys are thinking “Home, home, home” and they need to think about this team, which is pretty good. They are thin at guard but the guys they play take good care of the ball. Inside they play a lot of people and try to wear you out. They play a solid man. We’ll need to bring our game.

January 18: Another of those games that is extremely exciting to watch, and a cardiac waiting to happen for the coaches. E. Mich. controlled the first half. They took an early 10 point lead and hung on. I mixed things up on D, switching from 2-3 to man, fronting the C, who was hurting us, pressuring the Point. Finally we had a late mini-run and went in down 27-33.

We were -7 on the boards and had no success getting the ball inside so we drew up some things. On D, what had worked best was staying really close to the PG, so we determined to do that. And bit by bit we broke them down.

With 7:42 left we tied it on a three by Rick and it was back and forth the rest of the way. They scored to take a 59-58 lead with 11 seconds left. As usual I did not call for a time out.

Rick worked it to Jon, who skipped it over to Art who drew an inside defender out of position. He looped it over the guy’s head to Rahm who jammed with .3 to play (The refs looked at the replay forever on that one.). 60-59.

Whew! 18 TOs for -2, -2 on the boards, -3 in fouls, but the big number? +1 on the scoreboard!

We are tied for first with Kent State, the only two teams in the conference at 5-1. Two are at 4-2, one in each division. We are a very solid 14-3 overall.

Home sweet home for 6 of or last 10, which puts us in a good position.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:51 pm

“Achilles, my husband, I have good news!”

“And what is that, Maria?”

“I have been accepted to the Ph. D. program here at the University of Akron!”

“My congratulations. I am overjoyed!”

“As am I. I met with my advisor today and I will take a statistics course during the summer. We are planning my coursework for the fall semester and will outline the entire course of study for the next three years over the course of the next few days.”

“Again, that is wonderful news!”

“Don’t worry, I will attend to my duties at home.”

“First of all, your studies must come first. I make very good money, Maria. We should hire someone to clean the house. There is no need for you to do that when you will have other, more important duties to perform.”

“I would never-”

“Maria, please at least give this some thought.”

“Yes, my husband. I will do that.”

8-9, 2-4 Western Michigan is in town. They score inside and their SG also can put it up. They play man, but they give up lots of points.

January 21: 74-54. They never led. A very workmanlike performance. We simply took care of business. 10 TOs. Jon had 19, Kal 12 and 7.

Kent State lost so we are alone in first. RPI is 19.

10-8, 4-3 Muncie is here. Their attack is very balanced, all five starters and two subs score. They like to work it inside and they play man, pressing fairly often. They use lots of people.

January 25: Another wire to wire win, 74-53. 14 TOs. All five starters in double figures, 8, 7, 2 for Jay Gore form the bench.

Kent State lost again. Things are really going our way right now.

14-5, 6-2 Northern Illinois leads the West division. They are the only team whose record is only one game worse than is ours. They like to play high post and work for back doors cuts and drives to the hoop. On D they play 2-3, which we have not seen much. We have been working against it in practice. We feel we can score against them since good teams have done so. They are in deep difficulty in that their starting PG tore his ACL in the game before last.

January 28: They never led but they kept it close until late, 61-49. 11 TOs. 15 and 10 for Kal, 15, 7 for Jon, 9 and 9 for Rahm. Three game lead on Kent State, two on No. Ill.

And we’re RANKED! First time for me and it feels great. #24.

On the road for three games.

At 10-10, 5-4 Central Michigan. On paper we’re better at nearly every position but…

February 1: They stayed with us for about 30 minutes. With about 10 left Rick started dishing. He was getting it to whoever was open and our guys were hitting shots. We went from a one point deficit to a 21 point lead, and then settled in to win 80-64. All five starters plus Jay Gore came up big, especially late.

At 11-11, 5-5 Toledo. Their C is a big time scorer in a quick, motion offense. They both score and give up lots of points.

February 4: As I said, they score and they give up. We got 94, they got 80. Rick dished, everyone else scored. 14 TOs. It took until midway in the second for us to get a comfortable lead but it felt like it was a matter of time all the way.

We lead the conference in scoring and rebounding, and are second in assists and blocks. We’re up two on No. Ill., in the West, and at least four on everyone else. Ranked #21, RPI #11.

We decide to withdraw our scholarship offer from Derek Wright. He is ignoring our phone calls and his stock has dropped. Offering to SG Mo Sides, #120.

At 10-12, 5-6 Bowling Green next. They feature lots of very quick ball movement, and they play a close, pressing man on defense. They are another team that gives up lots of points.

February 8: 81-59. Nine wins in a row, 12 of 13, 19 of 21. Yeah, we’re playing okay. Another team effort with solid production from our top six guys.

TOs now at 15.0 per, + 1.9.

Three of our last four are at home.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports