Mack Jones- The Hard Way

Mack Jones- The Hard Way

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:25 pm

DDS:CB3 Mack Jones

They tell me I gotta block out swears. Fine. Expect a lotta block outs.

I had a rough life but I worked hard and I got through everything. Never caught a break neither.

I was born 44 years ago, in 1930. My mother was a street wh*re in Chicago during the Depression. She managed to keep me for a while but when I was eight one of her Johns beat her and me up so bad that we had to be put in the hospital. Well, they reported her to child services and I was taken away from her. That began a series of hellish placements you really don’t want to hear about. The sh*t that happened to me happens to a lotta kids in that situation, prob’ly most of ‘em.

What I had going for me was I was big, wide, and not stupid. I was a bad kid in school but I could do all the work, and bad as I was I usually did it. Even got a lotta As, and just about all the rest Bs except when the teacher was a real a$$h*le. Then I got Ds and Fs cuz f*ck him, or her.

When I was a h.s. freshman in 1944 I played football. I liked hittin’ people a lot but wasn’t all that crazy about the game and the military type stuff involved. Never liked that.

The basketball coach, Spike Martin, was the gym teacher and he had took a likin’ ta me early in the year. He wanted me ta try hoops so I did. I’d never even held a basketball in my hands. Still, Coach Martin didn’t cut me. He taught me- lotsa times keepin’ me for an hour after reg’ler practice. I played strictly j.v. my first year and committed about a foul a minute, but he kept workin’, and stayed positive. He was really the first guy that ever treated me right. I didn’t know how ta handle that. I had learned ta be cautious because sooner or later everybody turned on me, usually beat me up, raped me, or both until I got big enough ta fight 'em off. And hey, if ya can’t handle ugly truth it’s prob’ly best if you don’t read this.

Anyway Coach was smart enough ta never say anythin’ like, “Trust me.” I guess he knew I’d a run away from him if he did. But he never changed, never stopped bein’ patient, never stopped bein’ the best thing in my life. By my soph’more year I was not foulin’ as much but still too much but I was playin’ pretty good D, and reboundin’ even better. I knew how ta get inside position an’ I was so strong nobody could move me outta that position.
I couldn’t shoot an’ never really learned but I could make lay ups, esp. on put backs. Coach worked that for about a million hours. That’s all the scorin’ I needed.

Toward the end of that year I was playin’ a little varsity an’ holdin’ my own. Coach told me at the end of the season that I would be his startin’ varsity PF junior year. I kept my grades up an’ put up with a real a$$h*le history teacher name Trevani. He was a cut off, arrogant squirt, and he had that little man thing where he hated big guys an’ really went after ’em. Back in them days they could get away with that. He even had fist fights with a couple a the big football players. If you was big he hated you. An’ he was quick an’ a good fighter.

I didn’t do nothin’ to set him off an’ when he tried ta get me to, an’ man did he know how, I didn’t go for it, just said, “Yes sir” in my politest voice. I got through the class with nothing’ ugly happenin’. He gave me a C for doin’ A work an’ I just shut up and took it. Coach was helpin’ me stay cool all through this and when the class was over he told me how proud he was of me. That meant a lot even if I couldn’t deal with compliments.

I had found a decent family ta live with in high school. They didn’t really treat me bad at all compared to just about all the others and they told me they wanted ta keep me all the way through h.s. cuz they knew that was a good situation for me. I actu’lly still see them an’ they go to lotsa my games. I’m sure they will again in the new job, I'm glad it's right near 'em, an’ they’ll never pay fer a ticket. So okay maybe I did catch a couple breaks at that.

Junior year I did start at PF an’ I guess I done okay. I was named third team all state even only scorin’ 5.8 a game. I got 9.5 RBs though.

Senior year I done real good, 14.2 RBs, 9.8 points, and made the all state first team. I’ll always keep that trophy in my office.

University of Illinois and some other places scouted me. I got offers for full scholarships from a bunch a schools but I wanted ta stay not so far from Peoria so I went ta U. of Illinois. Plus, the head coach there I liked more than the other head coaches. My grades were good but they wanted me ta take two courses in the summer so I did. They said it would be a big adjustment an’ it was, but varsity athletes had mandatory study hall- I woulda studied anyways, an’ tutors, an’ all a that really helped me a lot. I figgered I’d wind up a gym teacher/coach like Coach Martin if I was lucky.

Oh, my mom. They let me see her from time ta time after they took me away but she had a real tough time. She wound up on heroin, and she died when I was a junior in h.s. But don’t never say nothin’ against her. She was still my mom an’ she loved me- more’n anybody else ever did. She just couldn’t do nothin’ for me cuz her life was so f*cked up. Never a clue who my father was, an’ she didn’t have any other kids so I don’t have a family.

So college was good. I ain’t the friendly type. They made me see head docs all the way through high school an’ they said I had trust issues- no sh*t! I wasn’t unfriendly but I went my own way. I was okay with college roommates but I didn’t hang out with ‘em. I just said, “Don’t give me sh*t I won’t give you sh*t.” It worked out. The last two years I roomed with the startin’ C for the team an’ he was a loner too.

I played a little as a soph, an’ started as a junior an’ senior. Never made any all star teams but I did okay.

I graduated an’ got a job teachin’ P.E. at Morton h.s. back in Peoria. I was way better with kids than grown ups an’ it was good. Stayed 10 years, won a lot a games, had a lot a kids that liked me an’ lots a them confided in me. I always made time. Let’s see, that brings us to 1962 an’ I was 32. That year Coach Jake Snow took me on as his assistant at Chicago. I stayed there for 12 years until I got the job I’m about ta tell ya about.

Oh, girls. Well, there were a few but I didn’t know how ta act an’ nothin’ ever lasted very long. I could never go ta a wh*re, because a my mom, so- well, enough about that. I lived alone all these years. It’s okay. It’s safe an’ it’s easy. I cook a little but mostly eat out, an’ my apartment’s a mess but I seen worse.

Okay, after 5 years at Chicago I was ready ta be a head coach an’ I shoulda been one WAY before now. Maybe because I’m so rough around the edges I didn’t impress nobody in interviews but d*mmit they shoulda seen how good I was with kids an’ how well I knew the game, and how good my references were. I got rejected for over 100 head coaching jobs I applied for.

Finally, in March Peoria fired their coach. I actu’lly got an interview. It was down ta two of us. I got the second interview. I read the next day that the other guy accepted a job at another school. I waited a whole week before Peoria finally called.

The A. D., Harry Bates, said, “Mack, if ya still want the job come on down and sign a contract.”

Great! Sounded like he was sorry. I found out he wanted ta reopen the search but the university said they spent enough. Just hire me. If I didn’t work out they’d dump me after the first year even though I signed for 3, at a salary that seemed huge to me.

It wasn’t, they got me on the cheap, but it was way more than I needed, an’ I knew I’d save most of it. I’m real serious about that. I don’t ever want ta end up a bum. As soon as it makes sense I’ll buy a little house somewhere cuz that’s the way ta have somethin’. I look inta stocks an’ bonds an’ stuff an’ put money there too.

Okay, here I am. I’ll tell it right from day one, May 1.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:35 pm

May 1: First order a business is hirin’ assistants. I wanta move quickly and I do. I start with George Kitt who will recruit. He did it at Western Illinois and pretty d*mn well but he wanted to move up. I’m lucky to have him, even though it’s only for a year. He will assist me in my search for the other two assistants.

We catch a break when Joe Pruitt who worked with George at Western Ill. decides he’d like to come here. He’ll scout and George says he was amazing at it, very analytical and saw everythin’.

They help me to find my #3, Kareem Wall, Western Michigan. He’ll be my practice/bench coach and he has decades of experience. I think we made a good start here.

I will spend the month visiting my players. They all live here in Ill., so it won’t be that hard. I wanta meet ’em with their families, let ‘em know what we’re going to be about, what I expect, all a that.

What do I expect? First, hard work- every practice, every game, every study hall, every class. Second, cooperation. This is a team. We help each other. We don’t look for personal glory. We accept our role but it’s okay ta work ta impress the staff and convince ‘em the role should grow. Finally, I’m the boss. The assistants are right below me. You do what we say. If you got a problem you make an appointment ta come see me. You do NOT bring it public, or bring it ta your teammates.

I buy the Gold Midwest and basic National and International scouting reports. That leaves me with more than $50,000 for recruiting which should be plenty.
Not going ta any camps. That’s a luxury for the rich teams.

I failed ta go inta numbers.

Offense 15, Defense 20, Recruit 60, Scout 90 (cuz it don’t ever change), Player Development 20. For a total a 205 outta 500. Reputation is 37.

Philosophy: Rotation 10, Preference 5, Offense boards 8, Offensive pace 6, defensive intensity 5, Defense boards 10, Full court 2, Zone 5.

We play Princeton an’ Triangle about 55-45, man ta man, 2-3 about 50-50. Don’t press much but when we do it’s about 50-50 man and 1-2-1-1.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:12 am

June 26: Recruiting. We have eight to fill and that’s a load. We’ll need more guards than bigs. Lookin’ at lotsa guys.

We’re seeing some interest.

I prob’ly shoulda talked about a coupla things. First I settled right inta a small apartment. In deciding whether ta buy a place right away I thought, no. Get a cheap apartment an’ save for a down payment. I knew I wouldn’t spend hardly any time at home anyways so it didn’t matter. That’s what I did, tiny, cheap place, bought an air conditioner for the bedroom.

My office is in the Peoria Center, where the athletic offices are, an’ where we play an’ practice. The office isn’t big but it’s big enough. There’s a table big enough for staff meetings, my desk, an’ a couch. That’s good cuz I knew I’d sleep here some nights. Turned out ta be lotsa nights so far.

Harry Bates is not a fan but I don’t think he’ll try ta knife me in the back either. He’s a football guy. I’ll need ta fight ta get much from him. All I want right now is ta be included in the process when we make out our schedule.

Later on things will come up where I need him. Hopefully he’ll watch me. If he does he’ll see that I know what I’m doin’, an’ hopefully that will get him on my side.

His secretary, Betty Mills, is the one I see when I need stuff. I am surprised I don’t have at least a shared secretary but I don’t. Football coach has one, full time, nobody else even a part time secretary. Whatever, I got an answering machine. Betty will run off stuff for me. I’ll be okay.

An’ a little more about me. I have exactly two interests outside of college basketball. I am a reader, and I mean a serious reader. I read philosophy, all of the philosophers from the ancient Greeks forward to modern times. I highlight, take notes, read the notes. I really like the effect. It gets me thinking. I read classic literature, all kinds. Some I like, some I don’t but I finish the book either way and here too, I take notes, highlight, think about what I’m reading. More and more I read science. It is the world, the universe, how everything works. I struggle with lots of it, especially the physics, which is my favorite, but it fascinates me.

My second interest is fitness. Even though I eat out too much I’m careful what I eat. I run five miles every day. I am too much of a wide body to run fast so it takes 50 minutes. I do it outdoors if there is any way at all. When the wind chill is too low, it’s raining a real downpour, or the heat is dangerous I use a treadmill. We have plenty here in the Peoria Center. I do my running early in the a.m. I am not a sports fan. College hoops is my only sports interest. It’s also the only thing I watch on TV except the news, and I wish there was a better way to get the news. I read the NY Times and the Christian Science Monitor. They are the most honest newspapers.

I am not religious. It makes no sense to me, and it explains nothing. I don’t care if other people are religious. I DO care when they try to force it on others, esp. children, in any way at all.

August 7: We have a nominee for the Norton Award. Jon Kurl, SG. He’s #50 but I’ll take it!

August 21: We can make offers. And we do.

September 11: Home visits. We’ll visit four of our eight.

September 18: We get two commitments. Eddie Brewer, #35 PF, he was our highest rated, and Colt Frahm, #137 PG, a great ball handler.

And we have a schedule. No tournament but nice and balanced for home vs. road, which I like. Prob’ly a little weak but I want my guys ta have time ta figger things out an’ I’d like ‘em ta have a chance ta win while they’re doin’ that.

September 25: We get another one. Tony Morris, #61, PG. We think he will get minutes next year. We lose one, a PF, but we expected that. We won’t get all of them. As to the rating numbers they will go up and down twice more. We know what we’re looking for and that matters more than the numbers.

October 2: No new commitments.

Today is the first day of practice which is very exciting. The staff meetings have been more and more about well structured practices. I am a strong believer in that. We don’t want a minute wasted. It won’t be. There are all kinds of drills, some for everyone, but at other times guards are at one end, forwards at the other. There are game situation things to practice, we scrimmage, we do lots of conditioning- you name it but it’s organized, it’s timed, and we keep things moving.

October 9: Two more commitments and we lose one. Dave Black, #199 C, and Jay Coop, #290 SG, are in. So we have three guards and two bigs right now, three to go.

October 30: We get another one, Roq Gehr, PG #129 from Brazil. It’s hard ta say with international guys but he looks good. We got just under $20,000 left but it should be plenty.

November 6: We don’t fare too bad with the last rating # change. Still chasin’ a couple recruits and still a good size list.

We got two exhibition games and that will tell us a lot.

An’ it did. A few changes to the lineup and lots of tweaks ta how much time guys will get. This will continue to be monitored and changed.

An’ just like that it’s time ta start the season. We’re excited ta see how we do but I like this team right now.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:30 am

Alabama State is here to start our season. It’s hard to know much. Last year they played almost all zone, 2-3 and 1-3-1, so that’s what we’ve been practicing against.

November 15: 55-46. We were never really threatened and led by as much as 20, but it felt like the first game all right. Only 11 TOs, but -6 RBs and too many fouls. Kurl at SG an’ Arms at PF did the most on O. Bill Dish at PG did. Need more from our C, Carl Wats. In practice I thought he’d be big time. Maybe he will but not tonight.
Lots to work on but not a bad first effort.

We go home then road then home then road all the way ‘til January. Off ta Hartford. They got a good C so let’s see if Wats steps up.

Nov. 18: 53-47. Almos’ the same score as las’ time. This time we never led by more than 10 but we mos’ly led. 23 TOs which is awful. We WILL work on that, unacceptable. But +19 RBs and we fouled less. Wats did not get a point but 8 RBs. He was overmatched and their C had 18, 5. Back up, Mark Miln looked better, 6 an’ 8. Too soon ta shake up the lineup but Miln can earn minutes, maybe even the startin’ spot if he keeps it up. Kurl, 13, 7, 1 an’ Arms, 10, 12, 1 had good games again. Dish kicked it away too often, but outplayed the other PG.

Nov. 20: Ranked! #23. I didn’t expect that!

Five recruits came in and signed. PG Tony Morris, #65, did not. Too bad, I was counting on him. When they don’t sign on Nov. 20, unless they’re a Juco, they won’t hit the SAT score and you lose them. But you can’t dump them and can’t offer to anyone else until 1/29. He was my highest rated PG.

Miami of Ohio is in next. PG and SF seem to be their best players. They play man and press a little.

Nov. 22: 67-50. 7 TOs, MUCH better. 17, 5, 4 for Jay Lynn at SF. 15, 6, 1 for Cris Arms at PF, 12, 4, 1 for Jon Kurl at SG, and Dish dished. Post game meeting. We’re making the change at C. Mark Miln has been producing more than Wats so why wait.

At #22 Memphis for maybe the most challenging game on our schedule. A test will be good. They have a very powerful front line, but I think we have the edge in the back court. They play more 2-3 than man.

Nov. 25: 57-45. Great win! We led by as many as 20 after some early back and forth. Miln really rose to the promotion, 9, 7, 2, and outplayed a very good C. 11, 8, 6 for Jay Lynn, 18, 4, 3 for Kurl. Dish played well. Wats got 6 RBs. 18 TOs but +14 RB.

Nov. 27: And somehow we drop out of the top 25? Explain that!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Next in is 4-1 Malibu, off to a good start. They are strong at PG, SF, C. They play man and press often. If we play well we should be okay.

Nov. 29: 56-64. We just could not make a shot in the first half, 19 points on 23% shooting. We went in down 15, and it was too much ta make up. Only 11 TOs, +5 RBs, fouls even. It was the shooting. It got better in the second but not quite good enough. Miln played well while he was in but got in foul trouble and stayed there. Fouled out in 22 min. Wats was effective in his place though. 8, 5. Kurl shot 1-12. Lynn and Arms did fine. Hate ta lose, esp. at home, but I didn’t figger ta win ‘em all.

Keep workin’. At 4-1 Northern Illinois next. This should be a mismatch. They play 2-3.

Dec. 2: 49-39. Defensive battle. They tried to slow down all the way and it kept them close but we mostly led. Dish was off so his back up, Mark Call got a lotta minutes an’ he responded, 14, 4, 3. We are quick to shake it up, and that can help. 11, 5, 1 for Lynn, 12, 2, 2 for Kurl. Didn’t get as much as we want from PF and C, but we got enough ta win. 14 TOs, but -5 RB.
Again an’ always, keep workin’.

2-4 Charlotte is in. They’re struggling an’ at least on paper we’re better at jus’ about ev’ry position. They play man and press a little. If they’re strong any place it’s inside.

Dec. 6: 62-52. Arms, 14, 8, Lynn, 12, 9, and Kurl, 14, 4, 2 led us. Our two Cs combined for 12, 6, 2. 14 TOs, +9 RB, +6 fouls.

A week between games so we’ll rest legs just a bit and work on some things.

At 2-6 Idaho. Another mismatch on paper but it’s a road game. Never any guarantees there. They play man and don’t press much. Stronger inside than out.

Dec. 13: 71-58. Strong games from all 5 starters. 18 each for Arms an’ Kurl. 14 TOs. In control all the way.

Another week between games then another real challenge.

9-3, #25 Oregon State is here. They are very good outside, particularly at PG and SF. They play man and they don’t press. We been sellin’ out at home an’ that big crowd behind us will help but we gotta play.

Dec. 20: 75-68. A real battle. We pulled away in the last few minutes. 8 TOs, +3 RB, +4 fouls. Huge game for Kurl, 31 an’ 4. 16, 8, 4 for Lynn, 11, 7 for Arms, 9, 5, 2 for Miln. A great way to end the pre-conf. sched. We’re 8-1, way better than I woulda thought.

Dec. 25: Thought we mighta been ranked but no. RPI is 33. Ev’rybody done good with grades. Holidays don’t mean much ta me since I do not have a family and am not religious. I make room for people who do love them ta do their thing though. I know it’s important.

I am settled in pretty well in the community. I know it for a long time so I know the places I like. It was not hard ta adjust. Ev’rything’s good.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:19 pm

First conf. game at 2-7 Southern Illinois. They’re strugglin’ but losin’ close games. They play man and they press a lot. This one is not ta be taken lightly.

Dec. 27: 55-53. Whew! First real close game I’ve coached an’ we won it. I been wonderin’ how I’d do in this situation. We led mosta the way but they hung right in, never lettin’ it get outta reach. At the end, it was 53-53 an’ we had it with about 10-11 seconds. My guys know what ta do so Dish brought it down, lookin’ for either Kurl or Miln. Arms was havin’ a bad night or we’d a looked for him. With 2-3 left Dish got it ta Kurl who real quick worked through a pick an’ drained a 14 footer at the buzzer. He had 22, 4 an’ 4 but 7 TOs. We’ll talk about that! 8 an’ 5 for Miln, 4 an’ 8 for Wats, so the C position really got it done for us. Dish had 10, 4, 4, 1 TO, a real good game for him. 13 TOs, 10 less fouls than them which was the diff. I’ll take it!

6-4 Wichita State is in. They are big and tough inside. Arms has been strugglin’ a little but I need him ta step up for this one. We think we’re better outside but we better come ta play. The crowds have been great, full house, lotsa noise. Our only loss was at home but they never gave up on us.

Dec. 30: 61-40. Biggest margin a victory yet. 26 an’ 4 for Kurl, 14 for Miln, 9 RBs each for Arms an’ Lynn, Dish was solid, 4, 5, 6. On’y 9 TOs. I’d like to put this one someplace where I can bring it out an’ use it again! Oh, an’ yeah, the crowd was rockin’!

At 7-4, 1-1 Missouri State next. This looks pretty even. They’re strong outside, not so much inside. They play man an’ don’t press less they need ta. We gotta get on the outside shooters tonight.

Jan. 3: Bad news all around, 55-71 is bad enough but on top a that Carl Wats banged up an ankle. Out about a week an’ a half. 21 TOs an’ we didn’t get out on the outside shooters, PG had 23, SG had 18, SF 13. We thought we’d prepared for that but it jus’ didn’t happen. Miln had a good game, 10, 8, 2. Lynn had 14, 4, 1. Arms is still off his game. With Wats out for a couple games we can’t have that.

Home for two, first time we stop alternating home an’ road. Bad news is 4 of last 6 will be on the road.

First in is 9-3, 2-1 Illinois State. We feel like we’re better at 2, 3, 4, about even at PG, an’ not as good at C, esp. with Wats out. Miln will pick up some minutes an’ Carl Able the rest.

Jan. 6: 58-51. Under the circumstances I’ll take it. Back an’ forth for 10-12 min., then we took the lead. Never let it go, but they got it to 1 or 2 a few times, even late. After the last media time out we took over. 28, 4 for Kurl, 11, 5 for Miln, an’ he pretty much matched the other C while he was in there, which unfortunately was on’y 21 minutes due to fouls. Able did okay when we needed him. 5, 9 for Arms, which was better. I’m encouragin’ not yellin’ at him. When it ain’t goin’ good yellin’ just kills any confidence that might be left. It’s jus’ plain dumb.

Next up is Northern Iowa, 2-11, 0-4. Cup cake. Just play our game.

Jan. 10: 68-47. 27, 6, 3 for Kurl who is really feelin’ it lately. 10, 5, 2 for Miln. Dish was the only starter who didn’t play well so he sat. Call did fine in the PG spot. 10 TOs.

We’re in a three way tie for first with Des Moines an’ North Chicago. We ain;t played either of ‘em yet so those games will tell a lot. I like that we’re at 13.4 TOs a game. I’d like 12 better but TOs are above that all through the conf.

Wats will be 100% for our nex' game.

Life is still quiet, basketball, readin’ an’ runnin’ in the mornin’. Quiet is good.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:50 pm

At 7-7, 1-4 Indiana State. They play man and press a lot. We feel like we’re much stronger at SG an’ PF, an’ our bench is better than theirs. If we stay focused we should be okay but road games can get ya.

Jan. 13: 71-79. We were awful in the first half. Gave up 46 points. We were down as many as 17 but got it ta 12 at the half an’ I thought we had a chance. We got as close as 3 twice, but no closer. We let ‘em shoot 25 threes an’ they made 13. We jus’, again, didn’t get out there. Believe me we’ll be workin’ on that. -12 RB didn’t help either. Jus’ an awful night. 25 for Kurl, an’ Arms had 15 an’ 4. Miln fouled out in 9 min.

Then ta make it worse Greg Herr, who never plays threw a whole pile a sh*t at Cris Arms. Coach Wall saw the whole thing. I brought Herr in an’ read him out big time. Fortunately for him he took responsibility or he woulda been in a world a trouble. He knows it better not happen again. Freakin’ nightmare, the whole day.

Now it’s a five way tie at the top a the conf. Two teams one back.

4-11, 1-5 Evansville is in. Bottom a the conf.

Jan. 17: 65-44. Miln’s best game ever, 18, 6, 2. Kurl had 20, 3, 1, an’ Lynn 16, 7, 1. 9 TOs.

At 9-7, 4-3 North Chicago. We look ta be better at every position an’ we got a better bench. It’s the road so I gotta keep ‘em focused.

Jan. 20: 49-53. Frustratin’ as h*ll! We blew a 15 point lead in the second.

Miln an’ Dish got in big time foul trouble. Wats did good but Call got in foul trouble too an’ I jus’ didn’t have a PG. 10 TOs in the second half an’ that was that. Plus we shot 19% in the second. Wats was the on’y guy who played good, 13, 9, 2. I’ll be bitin’ my own forehead over this one.

9-8, 5-3 Des Moines is in. Tied with us and a couple others one back a Wichita State. They got some strength inside but we are way better outside. Again, jus’ play our game an’ we should be fine.

January 24: 63-46. Close all through the first. I kicked some serious a$$ in the locker room an’ they woke up in the second. We were standin’ around on O in the first. In the second we attacked all the way an’ they got in foul trouble. Lynn had 16, 7, 3. Nobody else put up big numbers but they all contributed. The D was fine, all the way through.

7-11, 5-4 Southern Illinois is in. We won by 2 there. These guys can sneak up on ya. More talent inside than out.

Jan. 27: 76-53. Never a game. 20, 7, 1 for Miln, 17, 3, 3 for Lynn, 14, 9, 1 for Arms. 9 TOs.

TOs down to a d*mn good 12.3!

Jan. 29: Everybody hit the SAT score. I read Morris wrong, he’s a Juco. Lookin’ at a few new recruits because why not?

Jon Kurl is #26 on the Norton List. He deserves it, he’s havin’ a great year. Too bad he’s a senior. Four starters are.

Eight ta play in the conf. sched. an’ we’re in a three way tie for first. One team a game back, two more two games back.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:24 pm

At 12-7, 7-3 Wichita State. We won by 21 at home but these guys are tough at their place. We gotta stop their inside game. If we can we can beat ‘em.. They play 1-2-2 an’ they’re the on’y ones that do so it’s tough.

Jan. 31: 55-68. Thought this would be a tough one an’ it was. A course 19 TOs made it tougher than it had ta be. 14, 8, 3 for Miln an’ not much from anybody else. Kurl was 4-12. Them bad shootin’ nights happen though. Nothin’ ta do about it.

Keep workin’ we’re on’y one back. Lotsa games left.

13-7, 7-4 Missouri State is in, tied for 2nd with us an’ one other team so it’s a big game. They kicked our butts by 16 at their place. This one will be another battle. We think we’re better at SG an’ got a better bench but after that it’s close at the other spots, an’ PG an’ SF could do us in if we ain’t careful. I need good D tonight.

Feb. 3: 80-68, but on’y cuz we pulled away in the last couple min. It was real close mosta the way. Kurl had 19, 2, 3, an’ Arms had his best game in a LONG time, 22 an’ 9. Dish had 8 dishes, an’ the rest all did their part. Sure enough their PG an’ SF did some damage but not enough an’ they didn’t really get much help. 10 TOs.

Tied with Wichita St. for #1 but the sched. will make it real tough for us to end up at the top.

One a the new recruits looks real good. If we can get him interested we’ll find a scholarship for him.

At 13-8, 6-6 Illinois State. We won by 7 at our place. On paper this should be a war. They play man and press only once in a while. Home court advantage will be tough to overcome. We gotta play our very best.

Feb. 7: 54-63. We were movin’ uphill all night an’ we jus’ couldn’t get over the top. 17 TOs didn’t help. 8 more fouls didn’t either. 26, 7, 3 for Kurl, 12, 5 for Arms, 8 an’ 8 for Miln.

Didn’t hurt us a whole lot. We’re in a four way tie for the lead with five ta play. Two teams one back. What a dog fight. Schedule is still against us though.

At 4-18, 2-11 Northern Iowa. This is a must win. They are the bottom of the conf. Just focus an’ play our game.

Feb. 10: 53-48. It wasn’t pretty but I guess it didn’t need ta be. They went up early, as much as 17. Then we came back, got it ta minus 4 at the half.

Tough part was it wasn’t one guy beatin’ us, it was a little of ev’rythin’. I decided ta go all 2-3 in the second an’ that worked. We held ‘em ta 19. 11 TOs. 16, 7, 2 for Lynn, 11, 9 for Miln, 17 for Kurl. Dish was off an’ he didn’t get much help from the bench but we managed.

Three tied for first an’ two one game back of us three.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:45 pm

12-11, 6-8 Indiana State is in. They beat us by 8 there. We feel like we’re way better than them. Play our game an’ we’ll be okay.

Feb. 14: 76-66. Another one of those close almost all the way games where we pulled away at the end. All that conditioning seems ta be workin’. We got our legs at the end. 9 TOs. 25, 5 for Kurl, 12, 7 for Kebu Ablew who usually doesn’t play much. I put him in, he was feelin’ it so I gave him minutes. Miln was in foul trouble all night so I needed another body.

Three left tied for first, ev’rybody else two or more back so it’s startin’ ta decide itself.

At 9-15, 6-9 Evansville. Another road game we gotta an’ should win. Beat ‘em by 21 at our place.

Feb. 17: 67-51. Big win! Same story as the last few, close for at least 30 minutes then we pulled away. 15 TOs hurt but we forced 21. +9 RB. 21, 4, 2 for our go to guy Kurl, 16 for Miln, 9, 6, 2 for Wats. At about 7 min. left we went on a 15-3 run ta break it open.

Down ta two of us, Missouri State is the other one.

Bracket Breaker next, Wright State, 15-9, 6-7, here. We should beat ‘em but tell the truth I’d rather not play this game. Rather save the legs for the last two conf. games. Oh well.

Feb. 19: 80-63. We never trailed. 24, 8, 4 for Kurl but all five looked good. 9 TOs.

Last home game an’ senior night. 13-13, 8-8 North Chicago. Lost by 4 in a very frustratin’ game there. Control their PG an’ we win. He’s the key.

Feb. 21: 68-58. This team gives us trouble. Kurl had 34, huge! 8 an’ 8 for Arms. We controlled the PG in the second an’ that did it for us.

We are tied for first, can’t be worse than second.

We finish on the road vs. a tough Des Moines team, 15-12, 10-7. We won by 17 at our place but we ain’t kiddin’ ourself. We do feel we’re way better in the back court an’ about as good up front but home court will help them a lot.

Feb. 24: 63-78. We gave up an’ unbelievable 51 in the first half. I had no words at halftime. They made shots but we didn’t get out on the shooter. When we did they got it inside an’ beat us there. As bad as we looked all year. 2nd was better but it was too late.

Enough said. Jus’ work ta get ready for the conf. tourney.

21-7, 12-6. RPI #32.

Nick Jones, C, #111, signed. One to go unless we find ways to free up something after the season ends, which is a possibility.

We got about a week ta prepare. We’ll rest legs for 2-3 days then get back ta reg’ler practice.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:26 pm

Southern Illinois, 11-17, 8-20 won their play in to they play us in the round a eight. We beat ‘em by 2 then by 23. Jus’ play our game an; we’ll be fine. I remind my guys that it’s March. If ya lose ya don’t get ta play the next round.

March 7: No danger, 80-56. It was never a game. 22, 7, 7 for Kurl, 22, 3,3 for Lynn. 7 guys played a lot an' they all played well.

16-12, 9-9 Indiana State is in the semis. We lost by eight there, won by 10 at our place. Again, we think we’re better an’ if we play smart we’ll be okay.

March 8: 69-62. Lotsa lead changes but we came on at the end again. No big games for anybody but ev’rybody pitched in. 10 TOs, +17 RB, they had 10 more fouls.

It sets up the title match with #1 Missouri State. We lost by 16 there then won by 12 at our place. They play a tight man but rarely press. They’re tough outside. We can win this thing but we gotta play.

March 9: 50-57. 10 lead changes, 8 ties. This time we didn’t get it at the end. Kurl fouled out with 4 min. left an’ us up by 4, an’ Dish had 4 so he had ta be careful. We lost it at the line, they took 9 more free throws an’ made 10 more. I was yippin; at the refs all night. Didn’t get T’d up but it was close a few times. Mighta been better if I had.

I gotta say we’re in the big dance, maybe a 9 or 10 seed. Coulda been a 6, 7 or 8 if we’da won.

Wait an’ see.
Wayne23

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports