Kip Clark Staying with it

Kip Clark Staying with it

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm

This will be a Promotion/Relegation association. It will begin in 1963 and will take us through the 60s and who knows how far. We'll see young Kip grow and change, both as a person and as a coach as he is influenced by his time and by being about 25-30 miles from Boston.

He hopes to stay with UMass-Lowell for a long time, to see just how far up he can bring them. They are in the lowest Conference and have a Team Prestige rating of 2 (I set it at 0 but when it came up it was 2). His ratings are 1 in every category. House rules limit what I can and cannot do.

"But I would not feel so all alone, everybody must get..."
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:36 am

(Author’s note- this is a promotion/relegation association. Coach Clark has a 1 in every category. UMass Lowell has a Team Prestige of 2)

May 1, 1963

John F. Kennedy is president. Two weeks ago the first heart transplant was performed. Something called “quasars” were just discovered. Stamps cost 4 cents.

People are reading, The Fire Next Time and Happiness Is a Warm Puppy. They are watching “Lawrence of Arabia” and “Cleopatra” on the big screen and “The Andy Griffith Show” and “Mister Ed” on TV. They’re listening to “I Left my Heart in San Francisco,” “Sugar Shack,” and “Blowin’ in the Wind,” the latter by Peter, Paul, and Mary, and NOT by Bob Dylan, although he has a following it isn't mainstream.

“This is Spike McGee, ‘All about Sports’ on WLOW radio, the radio station of the University of Massachusetts Lowell, how LOW can you GO! Today Kip Clark was named head basketball coach here. Friends of UMass Lowell know Kip as that 5’4” Point Guard who was quicker than anybody on the court every night and who could just plain shoot the lights out. He graduated in 1960, and spent the last three years as an assistant coach here. Since head coach Ted Myers left for Boston University on March 3, taking all of his assistants except Clark with him, the search for a new head coach has been going on. Here’s what Athletic Director Jack Lacy said at today’s press conference regarding hiring Clark:

“We realize Kip doesn’t have any head coaching experience and he has only three years as an assistant but he’s a student of the game. His senior project here involved interviewing twelve college basketball head coaches regarding their techniques, coaching styles, approach to recruiting, and all sorts of other things. I read the 82 page paper he produced and it showed a clear, in depth knowledge of the nuances of every aspect of coaching at the Division I level. We also wanted someone familiar with the program, the school, and the area. We think we made a good choice. We do ask people to be patient. Coach Clark has some rebuilding to do and we may not see results for 2 or 3 years, but I believe we most definitely will see results.”

“And here’s what the new coach said:

“I couldn’t be happier or more excited. I know I have a lot to learn but I can promise you that no one will work harder than I will.”

“When asked, Coach Clark said he would begin by hiring a staff, and then he would visit all of his returning players as well as the incoming freshmen players. He would immediately begin the long process of recruiting.”

“I’m here for the long haul. I won’t be leaving for another school for a very long time, if ever. I’ve loved this place since my freshman year, and I’ve lived in Lowell all my life.”

“We’ll be speaking with Coach Clark now and then over the summer and fall. When basketball season starts we’ll have him on every Monday with an interview and time for you to call in questions.”

When I got home that night I started to question what I’d gotten myself into. My senior year was the last year this team did anything. We won the conference that year. The next year the new promotion/relegation system started, which you would think would have helped us, but we had graduated all 5 starters and coach Myers hadn’t done much of a recruiting job. We finished 12th, then 12th again, and last year we finished 15th. How he got the BU job I will never know.

Anyway, I think we have some talent this year. Myers just didn’t get the team working together. I am hopeful that we’ll be at least middle of the pack and I think there’s a chance we can be top 4 and move up from conference V to U. We’ll see. Recruiting is vital. I have 7 spots to fill and I need at least 4 guards and 5 would be better. We have exactly 3 guards on the team, all seniors! I cut a few guys from the team.

There was no way they were doing anything but taking up space and they showed zero hustle last year. I made sure they either qualified for academic or hardship scholarships. One other guy I wanted to cut but he qualified for neither and I just couldn’t deprive him of an education.

I did okay with assistants but just okay. I doubt any of them will be here for more than a year or two.

I’ll be making a lot more money this year so I got rid of the old junk car I had and got a 3 year old Chevy that looks to be in good condition. Otherwise no changes. I’m keeping my apartment. It’s okay, and it’s in a decent neighborhood so why move?

July 18

“Spike McGee, All about Sports here on WLOW, how LOW can you GO! We’re here with Coach Kip Clark of the UMass Lowell River Hawks basketball team. If you’d like to ask a question call us here at 580-WLOW, the lines are open. Coach Clark, you’ve been on the job for about 2 ½ months. How’s it going?”

“Well, Spike, I work 12, 14, sometimes 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there’s always more I could be doing. I meet with my assistants to discuss everything from recruiting to scouting to what kind of defensive and offensive formations we’ll use, how much we’ll press, how to structure our practices- lots of other things. I call recruits, I keep tabs on my returning players.”

“Sounds terrible!”

“It’s wonderful! Every part of it is a challenge and I’m really enjoying it. Can’t wait for practices to start.”

“And when is that, Coach.”

“Forever! We aren’t allowed to start until October 2.”

“So you can’t have contact with your players until then?”

“Oh, we can have contact with them, just not in a coaching situation. But we can give them things to work on, suggest they have 'captain’s practices' led by our seniors, all sorts of things. But we can’t be in the gym when they are.”
“Interesting. Sounds like you can actually do some useful things.”

“Definitely, but I want to coach them. Two and half months is a long time to wait.”

“Coach, you’re a young guy, barely 25. Are you interested in the things most guys your age are interested in?”

“Definitely! I go to the cool movies, watch the hip TV shows. I have to say the music scene is a little boring these days. There are some good songs but it’s a dry time. Seems like something new needs to come along.”

“Do you date?”

“Yes, but I’m not going to talk about that.”

(Laughs) “Okay coach. I won’t pry. We have just a few minutes for phone calls. I’ve got Jeff from Marlboro on the line. Jeff?”

“HI Spike. Coach, can you hear me?”

“Go ahead, Jeff.”

“Hey, UMass Lowell has been kinda down since you graduated. What are you going to do about that?”

“Well Jeff, it takes time. We’re definitely rebuilding. But I can tell you this, we’re going to play the kind of hoops I liked to play, hustle every minute, fight for every loose ball and rebound, play tight D. I can’t tell you how many games we’ll win,. Or even that we’ll win a lot of games, but nobody’s going to out hustle us.”

“Suppose they don’t hustle?”

“If they don’t hustle- in practice as well as in games, they sit. If I wind up playing all walk ons, so be it. We’re going to be in shape and we’re going to play hard every minute.”

“Mike in Lowell.”

“Hey Coach. I been going to games at UML for years. I gotta tell ya, after the last couple I’m not sure it’s worth buying my season tickets this year.”

"Mike, again, I am not promising a lot of wins, but we’re going to work hard, we’re never going to quit, and we’re going to get better as the season progresses. I think you’ll get your money’s worth.”

“Time for one more. Joe in Shrewsbury.”

“I just want to say that Coach Clark is my favorite player ever and I wish you all the success in the world.”

“Thanks. Joe. I appreciate that.”

“Okay, that’s all the time we have. This is Spike McGee. WLOW, How LOW can you GO!”

I have to admit I kind of like this radio thing. And no lie, I really do love this job. I wish we were getting a little more response from recruits though. Not much so far.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:20 pm

June 1963

Medgar Evers, a black civil rights leader, was shot and killed.

Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman in space.

Pope John XXIII died.

President Kennedy delivered his “Ich bin ein Berliner” speech at the Berlin Wall.

July 1963

Zip codes began to be used.

“Please Please Me” became the first Beatles record released in the U. S.

August 1963

The first nuclear test ban treaty was signed.

The great train robbery took place in England. 2.6 million pounds was stolen.

Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested in New Orleans while passing out “Fair play for Cuba” leaflets.

W. E. B. DuBois died.

Martin Luther King delivered his “I have a dream” speech.

August 15

“This is Spike McGee, ‘All about Sports,’ campus radio station WLOW, how LOW can you GO! We’re here with UML head basketball coach Kip Clark. The lines are open. So what does a coach do during the off season?”

“A million things, Spike. The staff meets every day to discuss recruiting, to come up with a scouting schedule, to plan for the upcoming season in lots of ways. I call recruits, keep in touch with my team-”

“Speaking of that, what can we expect?”

“Remember Spike, I’ve worked with all but the freshmen so I know what we have. I actually think we can be competitive in conference V if we work hard and if we get a few breaks. We don’t have many guards but the ones we have a good. Up front we need to develop but I think there’s potential.”

“How’s recruiting going?”

“Slow, but we expected that. We’ll get some guys but it may be later rather than sooner. We’re keeping in touch with lots of guys.”

“Let’s take a call or two. Here’s Dave from Dorchester.”

“Coach, you said you’re here for the long haul. Every coach I ever heard of wants to move up.”

“That’s true, Dave. I’m not saying I’ll be here forever but I like Lowell, I’ve lived here my whole life. I don’t expect to move for a very long time. Another factor is that I want to live in New England. I’m just not interested in living anywhere else. So yes, I plan to stay here.”

“Lou from Malden.”

“Coach, recruiting has been a problem at UML for a long time. Any idea how to fix that?”

“We’re working on it, Lou. I think you need to be persistent, you need to be genuinely interested in each recruit, his whole life not just basketball, and you have to recruit the family, not just the athlete. Oh, and don’t call so often that you’re annoying.”

“Okay, we’re running late. We’ll have the coach back from time to time and once the season starts he’ll be here every Monday. And I’ll be broadcasting all of the games, with Billy Lewis doing the color commentary. Spike McGee, ‘All about Sports,’ WLOW, how LOW can you GO!”

September 18

“Spike McGee here with Coach Kip Clark. Coach, you’ve got a schedule. Tell our listeners about it.”

“Spike, I asked my athletic director, Ted Myers, to put together a schedule that would give us a chance to grab a few wins.”

“In other words you wanted a weak schedule.”

“Well, I think I’d prefer to say I wanted a schedule that would be competitive. We’re trying to rebuild a program that has struggled for the last 3 years. We need to win some games, one, because winning builds confidence, and two, because winning helps a great deal with recruiting. I’m not sure how strong we’ll be this year so I didn’t want a schedule that would overwhelm us.”

“Speaking of recruiting, how’s that going, Coach?”

“We’re encouraged by the response we’re getting. There are several recruits that are definitely considering coming to UML.”

“In other words you haven’t signed anybody yet.”

“Man, what is this, an Inquisition! Take it easy on me! No, we haven’t signed anybody, but we think we’re close with a couple of guys.”

“No time for calls today. Just one more question. What kind of music are you listening to?”

“I like ‘My Boyfriend’s Back,’ ‘Heatwave,’ ‘Be My Baby,’- I love the Ronettes, ‘Then He Kissed Me.’”

“Mostly music by black groups.”

“Yes, I like the beat. Not many of the white singers do more than crappy- oops, do more than boring Bobby Vinton type stuff. Puts me to sleep. Roy Orbison though. He can really wail!”

“Thanks coach. WLOW, how LOW can you GO!”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:24 pm

September 1963

CBS TV was the first network to do 30 minutes of evening news rather than 15.

The minimum wage was increased to $1,25 an hour.

“The Outer Limits” debuted on ABC.

October 1963

LA Dodgers win the World Series.

The term “Beatlemania” was coined.

October 3

“Spike McGee, ‘All about Sports’. Coach Clark, you got a recruit.”

“Yes we did, Jon Debb. He’s a Point Guard from New York state. He looks pretty good. Plays some D, and he can shoot. Terrific passer.”

“Still 6 scholarships to fill.”

“We’re close to another and talking with a bunch.”

“First day of practice yesterday. Tell our listeners about that.”

“Not a lot to tell yet. There were some a- um, butts dragging. I worked them pretty hard. I’ve warned them since spring that they’d better show up in shape. Most of them thought they were. They had a tough time. 2 or 3 weren’t in shape. They had a REALLY tough time.”

“Does it really help to work them that hard, Coach?”

“Yes it does. There are lots of times when the team that’s in better shape wins close games because they’ve still got legs in the last few minutes. Sometimes even if you’re not the better team, you can steal a game just on conditioning. We’ll need every edge we can get, and this is one we can control.”

“Who are your players?”

“Well, I like our guards. I just wish we had a couple more. We have plenty of big guys but no one standing out yet. I‘m hoping some people will. Playing time will go to the guys who earn it.”

“So coach, seen any good movies lately?”

Tom Jones. Very cool. I went to an art cinema place in Boston and saw 8 ½. Kinda weird but I liked it.”

“Did you go with a date?”

“Told you before, Spike, my private life stays private.”

“Okay, okay. The smart money says she was a brunette. Spike McGee, ‘All about Sports,’ UML campus radio station WLOW, how LOW can you GO!”

October 17

“Okay, we’re about to wrap up ‘All about Sports,’ but I wanted to report that the UML River Hawks got a commitment from a 2nd Point Guard, Deke Parr from New Hampshire, and the Hawks are picked to finish 3rd in conference. We’ll have Coach Clark on every Monday once the season starts, and at least once more before then. Spike McGee, WLOW, how LOW can you GO!”

October 31

Happy Halloween coach. Is this season going to be a trick or a treat?”

“Ha! Great question, Spike. We’ll learn a lot about that this week. We have two exhibition games. There’s nothing like playing a real opponent.”

“And we’ll have the coach on again next Monday to talk about that. Meanwhile, Coach, you won’t tell us anything about your personal life as far as relationships and family are concerned but you do seem willing to talk about interests, hobbies, preferences, things like that. Read any good books lately?”

“As a matter of fact I’m an avid reader, Spike. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold was terrific. I read a great kids’ book, Where the Wild Things Are. Lots of people were talking about Dune so I read it but I didn’t care for it. The Fire Next Time was powerful. Shelby’s Foote’s Second Volume of The Civil War was really interesting. Armageddon was long but it was worth it.”

“Wow! That’s quite a list.”

“At the end of the day I’m usually all charged up. Reading for a half hour or an hour calms me down so that I can sleep.”

“Okay, TV?”

“I don’t watch much TV but I do like a few shows, Wide World of Sports, Have Gun Will Travel- that Richard Boone is a really good actor, Hallmark Hall of Fame, Meet the Press, The Twilight Zone, Johnny Carson, maybe one or two others. I don’t see any of them regularly but I catch them when I can.”

“Sports?”

“Almost never, except if there’s a college basketball game on. Oh, I watch the Olympics but that’s only every four years of course.”

“You seem like a serious guy, a thinker.”

“Well, I don’t know about that but … well, yeah, I guess so. I like to keep up with what’s going on in the world, and I like to read history, science, lots of things. I’m interested. I read Time and Newsweek every week, and Scientific American, oh, and National Geographic.”

“When do you sleep?”

(Laughs) “I don’t seem to need much sleep, 4-5 hours a night and I’m good.”

“Wow! Okay, next week we’ll talk about those exhibition games. Spike McGee, WLOW, how LOW can you GO!”

November 7

“Spike McGee with Coach Kip Clark. Tell us about the exhibitions.”

“Kind of a good news, bad news thing Spike. I saw a lot of things I liked but probably even more that need work. We could be deeper. I’ve got exactly three guards. They’re all good though. Mike Gear and Steve Colt will play a lot of minutes. They’ll switch back and forth at the Point-”

“How does that work?”

“Well, sometimes it’s situational. Whoever gets out front takes the Point and the other guy plays shooting guard. At other times I assign one to play the Point.”

“Sounds confusing.”

“No, we’ve been doing it since practices started and everyone is comfortable with it. It confuses the other team, which is great. Our third guard is Pete Ross. He’ll play mostly SG. I want Gear or Colt at PG every minute, if possible.”

“And up front?”

Well, we seriously need to rebound better. Gene Beck is my Center. For now Marv Joab is at Power Forward but he needs to step it up to keep his job. Roy Green is at SF, again, for now. Alex Jamm and Dan Tayn will come in for the bigs, and there are minutes for them if they can earn them. I’m sure this isn’t the final lineup.”

“And that predicted third place finish?”

“Two thoughts. First, there are a lot of unanswered questions; I have only seen clips of the other teams. Second, this is conference V, the lowest conference in college hoops. What all of that means remains to be seen.”

Starting next- well, starting right now I guess, Coach Clark will be with us every Monday. When he’s on the road we’ll do this by phone. We don’t have all the bugs out with that system yet, but we’re working on it. Spike McGee, WLOW, how LOW can you GO!”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:51 pm

November 14

“Spike McGee here with the pregame show before the UML River Hawks first game of the season, against Yale, right here at the Tsongas Center. We recorded this short interview with Coach Clark about an hour ago. No audience questions tonight. Coach, here we are.”

“At last!”

“Tell me about Yale.”

“Well, we don’t know a whole lot but our scouting coach, Jeremy Lund, went to their exhibition game with BU. They play a tight man, and they don’t press much. On offense they use a motion offense and like to go inside. They’re good on the boards which could be a problem for us.”

“And what will you do about all of that?”

“We play mostly a 2-3, with some man to man. We go with the Princeton and the triangle offenses because I like to work the ball inside as often as possible. The closer you get to the hoop the easier the shots.”

“Good luck tonight, coach.”

“Thanks Spike.”

“Spike McGee here at the Tsongas Center with the postgame show. Coach Kip Clark’s River Hawks got the season off to a good start, winning 72-58 over Yale. The Hawks led all the way. Yale kept it close during the first half but then our guys pulled away early in the second and never looked back. Center Gene Beck had 23 points. Ray Green had 7, with 11 rebounds, and guard Mike Gear had 15. The other starting guard, Steve Colt had 8, 4, and 6 assists. Marv Joab had 9 and 4 from the 4 spot. Coach Clark was worried about rebounding but the Hawks had a 31-28 edge. They had 13 turnovers to 19 for the Bulldogs. All in all I have to think Coach Clark will be pleased. Remember, the next game is here at home, at 7:30 on Thursday, against Morehead State. We only had 3,745 people here tonight and there are seats available for the game. Come on down and see this exciting team. Spike McGee, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! See you next time.”

November 17

“Spike McGee here at the Tsongas Center for the game between our 1-0 UML River Hawls and Morehead State, playing in their first game of the season. Here’s an interview we did earlier with Coach Clark.

“Coach, first, congratulations on the win against Yale. Great way to start the season.”

“Yes it was, Spike. I thought we played pretty well, all in all.”

“And what can we expect from Morehead State?”

“They play man, and they don’t press much. On offense they like to go inside and then sometimes kick it out for an outside shot. They play Princeton offense. We do too, so we’re familiar with that. We think their strength is inside, especially Brown, their Power Forward.”

“Good luck tonight Coach.”

“Spike McGee here with the postgame show. Another win for the River Hawks, 63-46. The Hawks never trailed, building the lead up to 23 in the first half. They were +8 on the boards and +2 in turnovers. Small Forward Roy Green led the attack with 17, 6, and 3. Joab and Gear had 13 each, Steve Colt had 10 with 6 rebounds, and Center Gene Beck had only 4 points but he got 8 rebounds. The D was very tight, especially inside where the Hawks dominated. When you hold the other team to 46 you usually win. We’ll be right back.”

November 21

“Spike McGee here at the Tsongas Center for UMass Lowell’s third straight home game. We’re 2-0. Tonight we play Stetson. Here’s what Coach Kip Clark had to say earlier.”

“Stetson is 1-1 against much stronger teams than we’ve played. They play mostly 1-3-1, which you don’t see much. We’ve been getting ready for it and we think we can score against it. They don’t press much. On O they go with quick passes and more outside shots than inside. We’ll need to play well tonight but if we do we’ll be okay.”

“Spike McGee continuing with the postgame show. UML suffered their first loss tonight, 68-75. While dominating the inside, UML simply gave up too many threes- 15 in all, and too many bench points- 25. Coach Clark mentioned pregame that the outside game needed to be contained, but his kids were not able to get it done. On the plus side Power Forward Marv Joab had 17 and 10, and Center Gene Beck had 16 and 4. UML was +5 on the boards and +1 on turnovers. Still, it was a loss. A reminder that due to the abundance of Monday games we’ll have Coach Clark on ‘All about Sports’ tomorrow, November 22, at 7:00. Tune in.

November 22

Spike McGee here with ‘All about Sports.’ On this terrible day we decided to go with our plan of bringing Coach Clark on the show, but the agenda has changed. Coach, today is a day I’m sure all of us will remember for the rest of our lives. Where were you when you heard that the president had been shot.”

“Yes, Spike, I agree that none of us will forget this day, much as we’d like to. I haven’t mentioned this but on Tuesdays I audit a course on the twentieth century novel. It’s a course I wanted very much to take during my senior year but the professor was on sabbatical. I asked for his permission to audit this semester and he said yes. Anyway, the Tsongas Center is in the Northwest corner of campus. To get to the class in the Humanities building I need to walk down a hill, cross through faculty housing, walk past the women’s dorms, and then go a little further down the hill to Humanities.

Yesterday, as I walked past faculty housing there was a woman hanging out clothes and crying her eyes out. I had no idea why she was crying. I thought to myself that maybe there’d been a death in the family, or her husband had left her, something like that.

Then as I continued to walk to class I met up with Robert Gamble, who is in the class with me. We’ve sort of struck up a friendship. As soon as he was close enough he asked if I’d heard about the President. I hadn’t. He told me that the president had been shot in Dallas. All that was known was that he was hit and that he had been rushed to a nearby hospital.

When we got to class the professor said that he had no further news and that the best thing we could do was to go on with the class. That was the longest hour of my life, and I’m sure none of us has any idea what the professor was teaching.

When class ended I started to walk back to work. On the way everyone I ran into was walking slowly, head cast down. Some- lots, were quietly crying. When I got back to Tsongas the secretary confirmed that President Kennedy was dead. We cancelled practice, and all other activities, of course. I went home and spent the rest of the day watching the news reports. It’s just so hard to believe that this young, vibrant President, so full of life, is gone from us.”

(The rest of the show was spent talking about the events of the day before and today.)

November 1963

Elston Howard is the first black player ever voted baseball’s MVP.

Bell introduces the first push button telephone.

“She Loves You” and “I Want to Hold your Hand” both sell more than a million copies.

“Louie, Louie” hits the charts.

“It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world” premieres.

John Kennedy is assassinated in Dallas, Lyndon Johnson is sworn in as President. 7 days later Johnson establishes the Warren Commission.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:31 pm

November 24

“Spike McGee, on the road with then UML River Hawks. We’re here playing the Maine Black Bears, who are 2-1. Here’s Coach Clark in an interview recorded earlier.”

“Spike, Maine is all about the outside game. We had lots of trouble with Stetson’s outside game so we’re hoping the hard work we’ve been doing in practice will pay off.”

“Spike McGee here with the postgame show. A really tough loss tonight, 58-59. The Hawks came back from an 11 point deficit with 3 minutes to go and the lead changed hands 7 times from that point until the end. When Marv Joab hit a three with 2.8 seconds left it put UML up 58-56, and it looked like a win. Then the Maine Small Forward put up a 35 footer at the buzzer and it went in. there was a very long discussion about whether the shot had been released before the buzzer went off. The refs eventually ruled that it had, and that gave Maine the win. Frankly, it was too close to tell. We won’t really know until the film is developed, in a day or two, and if the angle isn’t right we won’t even know then. Coach Clark was fit to be tied, naturally. Small Forward Roy Green fouled out with 6 minutes left and that hurt. He’s a good defender and his man made the winning shot. If Green had been in the game that might have changed things. But that’s all speculation, of course. A special reminder to tune in to WLOW Sunday evening at 7:00 for a special memorial program on the late President John Fitzgerald Kennedy. On Monday we’ll be courtside at the Tsongas Center at 6:45, for the pregame show when the River Hawks take on Eastern Washington.”

November 28

“Spike McGee. We’re short on time so let’s go to the recorded interview with Coach Clark. Coach, tell us about Eastern Washington.

“They’re 1-3 against some pretty weak teams. They take good care of the ball but don’t rebound well. They don’t have an outstanding scorer but about 6 or 7 guys score for them. They play a man and they press a lot. On O they play 5 out. We’re hoping to get back in the win column.”

“Let’s hope so. We’ll find out soon.”

“Spike McGee here with the wrap up. UML played their best game of the season tonight. 37 rebounds, only 8 turnovers and a 70-48 win. Center Gene Beck had 18 points and 16 rebounds, and guard Mike Gear had 20. 15, 7, 2 for Roy Green. The team was firing on all cylinders. Now they hit the road for three games starting at New Hampshire on December 1.

December 1963

Instant replay is invented.
Dinah Washington dies of a drug overdose.
Frank Sinatra, Jr. is kidnapped (or not).

December 1

“Spike McGee. We’re playing 1-4 New Hampshire here in Durham. Here’s what Coach Clark said. These guys are a lot tougher than their record. They haven’t really jelled yet but when they do, watch out. I hope it isn’t tonight.”

“Spike McGee. UML pulled out a close one tonight, 61-58. There were 15 lead changes an 11 ties, and neither team ever led by more than 6. It was a team effort with all 5 starters playing a part in the win. At the end UML scored the last 5 points when Gene Beck made a lay up with 14 seconds left, Mike Gear stole the inbounds pass, and then after a couple of passes Gear drained a 3. We have Coach Clark with us for just a moment. Your thoughts, Coach?”

“I was really pleased with the way my guys hung in. There were lots of times when they could have quit, or just dragged around the court, but they never stopped hustling. This is the kind of ball I want UML to play every night. I thought Pete Ross was huge off the bench. He played great D and did a little bit of everything.”

“Spike McGee way out west in Seattle before the start of the UML game here with 3-2 U. of Seattle. We’re on WLOW, 88.1 on the FM dial, how LOW can you GO. Here’s the coach.”

“These guys can play. Their SF is a scoring machine and all of them play tight man to man D. We’ll need to be sharp to win this one.”

“Thanks coach.”

“Spike McGee back with the postgame wrap up. UML didn’t have it tonight losing 53-64. The starting guards were in foul trouble all night and Coach Clark had to play Small Forward Roy Green at guard for several minutes. Good guard play is vital to this team’s success so that played a big role in the outcome.”

“Yeah, but we were flat, Spike. We stood around a lot. Part of that may have been the long flight but no excuse. In order to win you need to stay out of foul trouble and you need to hustle.”

“And now you fly back across the country for a game in Tennessee.”

“Yep, it’ll be good to get back home after that game.”

December 8

“Spike McGee, here at Lipscomb in Knoxville, Tennessee. The UML whirlwind tour is almost over. I’m sure Coach Clark would like to go home on a winning note.”

“Yes I would, Spike but this is a tough team. They’re 5-2 against decent teams. They don’t score much but they are very hard to score on.”

“Let’s see what happens.”

“We’re back with the postgame show. Not as good night for UML, 50-62. One of those nights when the shots won’t drop. Except for Gene Beck who had 22, the shots just wouldn’t fall. D wasn’t bad and we were +8 on the boards. 4 straight at home now and that home cookin’ should help.”

December 12

“Spike McGee, ‘All about Sports’ here on Umass Lowell’s radio station WLOW, 88.1 on the FM dial, how LOW can you GO! I’m with Umass Lowell’s head basketball coach Kip Clark. The lines are open. Coach, we’ve had a lot of Monday games and we haven’t been able to do this for awhile. Great to have you with us.”

“Thanks Spike. It’s great to be here.”

“Just a note to our listeners. Beginning next week we’re switching to Wednesday evenings, same time. Coach, after a tough road trip the team stands 4-4. Your thoughts?”

“Not bad, really. We have 4 straight home games coming up and with any luck we’ll be above .500 at that point. I’d just remind everyone that we’re in V conference. That means every single game so far has been with a team from a higher conference, several of them with teams from L, which is way up the line from us. To be at .500 isn’t bad, and it bodes well for conference play.”

“What’s going well?”

“Guard play, as we expected, is going quite well. We’re taking pretty good care of the ball, and averaging 1.3 fewer TOs than our opponents. I’m also happy with our rebounding, we’re +6.4, which I did not expect.”

“What needs work?”

“Pretty much everything needs work, but we need to score more points, especially inside, and we need to work on our outside D, especially our three point D, but the big thing is scoring. We need to get it to the open man more, in order to get better shots. I’m definitely a defense first coach but we need more O.”

“Let’s take some questions. Jeff from Jamaica Plain.”

“Hi Spike, Coach. Just wondering why the River Hawks don’t press more.”

“Thanks for asking, Jeff. That’s an easy one, really. We don’t press more because we only have three guards. Pressing causes you to foul more and we simply can’t afford foul trouble.”

“Billy in Braintree.”

“Coach, you play mostly 2-3. Why not more man to man?”

“Same answer, Billy. I prefer man to man but we don’t have the bodies for it. You don’t foul as much playing zone. Spike, I’ve got a question for you.”

“Okay, go ahead.”

“Tell us about yourself. You’re only a sophomore here. How did a sophomore get to be the play by play guy, and have his own show?”

“Last year I was the color announcer. I learned a lot so this year I applied to be the play by play guy. When I got the job I put in a proposal to do the 15 minute ‘All about Sports’ show and it was approved. Loving it. Thanks for asking. Time for one more. Jimmy in Marblehead.”

“Yeah, hey coach, how do you like your job?”

“I love it. I’ve never been happier. It’s insane how busy I am but I love every minute of the depth, the complexity, the challenge.”

Next up is Appalachian State. Tell us about them.”

“They’re 3-5. They play 1-3-1. Stetson beat us with that D but we’ve been working against it in practice and we hope to do better. On O they like to make some quick passes to get guys open. They don’t have any big scorers but lots of guys get points. They’ve hung in with some good teams.

December 13

“Spike McGee here with the postgame show. UML defeated Appalachian State 52-36 in a real defensive battle tonight. Center Gene Beck all but beat Appalachian State single handed, scoring 33 and getting 13 rebounds. UML was +13 on the boards. Steve Colt had 8 assists, and Roy Green 9 rebounds. Coach Clark?”

“The D and the rebounding were terrific but we still need to score more points. I’m really concerned about that. We were 0-10 from three point range tonight. A lot of people say shooters are born, not made. That may be true but we’re trying to work on it.”

Next up is Utah Valley. What can you tell us?”

“Well, they’re 2-6 but they recently beat Virginia Tech in overtime and they only lost to Nebraska by 4. At the same time they have some bad losses, so they’re kind of a mystery. They play man, they don’t press. Most of their scoring comes outside but their Center can score. When they show up they can definitely play, so we hope to be prepared for that.”

December 19

Spike McGee, WLOW, 88.1 on the FM dial, how LOW can you GO, here at courtside at the Tsongas Center following the game between UML and Utah Valley. UML won it 79-61 and for once was able to put some points on the scoreboard. I’m guessing you’re happy about that Coach Clark.”

“Yes I am, Spike. I’m pretty happy about the first half D, as well. We held them, to 20 points. They did better in the 2nd but by then we had built a really good lead and we matched them basket for basket in the second. I’ve got to get back to my team, Spike.”

“Thanks for joining us, Coach. See you tomorrow.”

“Right. I’ll be there.”

“Remember folks, due to a programming change, ‘All about Sports’ will feature my interview with Coach Clark on Wednesdays from now on. Join us then. Tonight UML was +10 on the boards and +6 in turnovers. Gene Beck had another great game in the middle with 19 and 12. PF Marv Joab had 22 and 6, and SF Roy Green had 15. The starting guards combined for 20, 11, and 6, with only 3 TOs. A good effort for the 6-4 River Hawks.

December 20

Spike McGee, ‘All about Sports’ here at UML’s campus radio station WLOW, 88.1 on the FM dial, how LOW can you GO! Today’s Wednesday so we’re here with Coach Kip Clark of the UML River Hawks. The lines are open. Let’s go to caller #1, Joe in Boston.”

“Coach, you’re 6-4 against teams- all of them- that are in higher conferences. How do you feel about your prospects in Conference V.”

“Thanks Joe. I feel guardedly optimistic. I’m sending scouting coach Jeremy Lund to V conference games whenever I can spare him. He reports back to the staff on what he sees- formation on O and D, whether the teams press, who their scorers and rebounders are, how well they handle the ball- all of that and lots of other things. He hasn’t seen every team yet, but he’s seen 13 of them, and we feel we can, at the very least hold our own with just about all of them. We like our chances in the conference. And we believe that if we stay healthy and stay focused that we can climb up to Conference U next season.”

“Mark in Chelsea.”

“Hi Coach, what about the bench. Doesn’t seem like you get much from your bench.”

“I agree, Mark. We’re thin. Pete Ross does a good job in the back court but he doesn’t score. Same with Alex Jamm up front. We could sure use some bench points.”

“If I might follow up, that leads me to ask about recruiting.”

“Well Mark, good question. We’re working on that every day. We have two Point Guards signed but we need to fill the other 5 scholarships. We think and hope that that will happen in March and April.”

“Thanks Mark and Joe. Coach, we’ve been asking about you and pop culture. Let’s ask more about music.”

“I’ve really gotten into the folk scene. I think Bob Dylan’s ‘Freewheelin’’ album is fantastic. I can’t wait to see what’s next. I hear he’s got a new album coming out next month. I also like Dave Van Ronk, and I love the old classical blues and R & B guys- Blind Willie McTell, Jelly Roll Morton, and lots of others.”

“Where do you find their albums.”

“Only place is in obscure record shops down in Greenwich Village.”

“You make that scene?”

“Not as often as I’d like to but the music there is fantastic and, as I said, it’s the only place to get the recordings of the old pioneers.”

“Coach it’ll be a week between games. First, how will the time off, and the holiday break affect the team, and second, tell us about Jackson State, who come to the Tsongas Center on December 26.”

“Well, no coach likes a break, you’re always afraid to lose focus. All of our players are from Massachusetts so I told them to go home for a couple of days but be back in time for a Christmas day practice at 8:00 p.m. They were free to go after an early morning practice on the 23rd. Again, I don’t like it but it’s pretty much the same for everybody and at least we didn’t need to travel for the game on the 26th.

“Jackson State is 5-3 against mostly weak competition. They have two more games before they play us, both on the road. They do a lot of scoring outside but their Center can score. They take pretty good care of the ball. They play mostly man.”

“Okay, that’s about it for ‘All about Sports.’ Thanks Coach. Listen in tomorrow night folks, we’re here every weeknight at 7:00. Coach will be with us next Wednesday and most every Wednesday during the season. Spike McGee, WLOW, 88.1 on the FM dial, how LOW can you GO! Goodnight.”

December 26

Spike McGee here with the postgame show following the UML home game with Jackson State. It was a very tough night for the River Hawks. They won, 75-55, but starting Power Forward, Marv Joab, the team’s 2nd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder, went down with what looks like a very serious knee injury. Gene Beck led the team again, with 21 and 14. But it looks like dark days ahead. Coach?”

“I thought we played well tonight, but Marv’s injury was really serious. I’m not sure we’ll see him in uniform again this year.”

“Any specifics?”

“Not yet, Spike, but we’ll know more by the time I get on your show Wednesday evening.”

December 28

“Okay, we’re back from break. Spike McGee here on ‘All about ‘Sports’ with Coach Clark. Coach, what’s the story on Marv Joab?”

“Unfortunately, Marv tore up the ligaments in his knee very badly. He’s out for at least the rest of the year and the docs are not sure if he’ll be able to play at this level again.”

“What a shame. He seemed like a really nice guy.”

“Yes, he is a really nice guy.”

“Now what?”

“Well Spike, unfortunate as it is this is part of the game. We’re going to start Pete Ross at SG, move Steve Colt to SF, move Roy Green to PF. Our starters will all get more minutes, and Alex Jamm will get lots of minutes. We’ll use Dan Tayn more than we have been. We were thin before. We’re really thin now.”

“Coach, sounds like you'll be going with six men. pretty much."
"For now we will, but we're ready top give other guys a try if we need to. We're in a tough situation so we may need to get creative."

"You ended the pre-conference season at 7-4.”

“And that was great, way better than we expected. Unfortunately, without Marv, I’m not sure how we’ll do in conference. We’re not about to quit though. We’ll be working harder than ever now.”

“Thanks Coach. Coach Clark had to leave early. He’s having a coaches’ meeting to discuss strategy around the new lineup. We’re really grateful that he came at all. We’ll be right back.”

January 1964

Barry Goldwater announces that he is running for President.

U. S. Surgeon General Luther Terry reports that smoking may be hazardous to health. This is the first U. S. government report saying that.

“Hello, Dolly!” opens on Broadway.

“Meet the Beatles!” becomes the first Beatles album to be released in the U. S.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:05 pm

January 2
“Spike McGee wishing all of you a happy new year from 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! We’re here at Tsongas for the pregame show. UML plays 5-6 NJIT tonight. Here’s what Coach Clark had to say.”

“They play man. On O they move it in and out well. They mix the scoring, don’t rebound or take care of the ball all that well. But remember, we’ve had less than a week of practice with the new lineup.”

“How’s that going, Coach?”

“I think we’ll be okay in time, but we’re still working things out.”

“Spike McGee back with the postgame show. UML took charge early and never let it get close in a 68-53 win. Gene Beck did his usual terrific job, scoring 17, with 15 rebounds and 4 assists. Mike Gear had 19 at guard, Roy Green had 15 and 5 at power forward and small forward, and Alex Jamm stepped it up, getting 11 from the bench. Steve Colt had 8 rebounds. Coach, you played exactly six guys. It worked for you.”

“Yes, it did, Spike. I thought the guys looked really good tonight. +11 on the boards, and we stayed out of foul trouble, which is crucial. Gotta run!”

“We’ll hear more from coach on Wednesday at 7:00 on ‘All about Sports,’ right here on 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! Back in a minute.”

January 4

“Spike McGee here with the coach. The lines are open. Coach, You got off to a real good conference season start the other night.”

“Yes, we did, Spike. I was very pleased with the way the guys played.”

“Can you be successful with a 6 man rotation?”

“Ultimately, it’s unlikely. We would need to be injury free, for one thing, and with six guys everyone is playing too many minutes. We’ll find times to go to our #7, 8 and 9. And of course if we get injuries we’re in real trouble.”

“Let’s go to the phones. Frank in Auburn.”

“Coach I think you’re a real as-“

“Thank you, Frank. For those of you who didn’t know it we’re on a three second delay here. That gives us just enough time to cut off calls like that last one. So be nice! Grace in Cambridge, and it’s nice to get a call from a woman!”

“Thank you, Spike. Coach, what do you think about women’s basketball? Do you see a future for it?”

“Good question, Grace. I don’t see why not. As we learn more about conditioning, training. All of those things, and as our society becomes more open, which I hope it will, I think we’ll see a lot more women in sports. I look forward to that day, and I hope it’s not too far off.”

“Interesting question. Call again, Grace. Marty in Foxboro.”

“Coach, you were a real scoring machine when you played at UML. It must drive you crazy to have a team that has so much trouble putting points up.”

(Laughs) “In a lot of ways it does, Marty. Interestingly enough, both as a player, and now as a coach, I really do think defense first, that’s where it all starts./ But I sure hope we come up with a scorer or two next year!”

“Okay, I get the last question. Tell us about Texas Pan American. You and I and the team will be flying out to Texas tomorrow for a game with them.”

“Well, they’re 5-7, 2 of those wins in overtime. They haven’t played anybody, really. They play man on D and run the flex on O. They score both inside and outside, but more outside. We think we can turn them over. If we win the battle of the boards we’ll be okay.”

“Thanks Coach. This is Spike McGee, 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO!”

January 5

Spike McGee here in Texas for the postgame show. It was a tough night for the River Hawks. They lost 67-72, and first big man off the bench Dan Tayn went down with a calf injury. Coach?”

“Yes, Spike, it was a tough loss. I didn’t think we played all that badly but we got in some foul trouble in the second half. That meant we needed to go to our bench and Dan got hurt almost as soon as I put him in. The one place where we really were not very good was rebounding. We were -11 there, and that just can’t happen.”

“Any idea how long Dan Tayn will be out?”

“Too soon to tell but it doesn’t look like a season ender or anything like that. We need him though, we’re down to the point where we almost don’t have enough guys to practice. I need to get back to the locker room, Spike.”

“Thanks Coach. We’ll be right back.”

January 9

“Spike McGee here at Tsongas for the pregame show. Tonight’s game is between the Hawks and first place Northern Kentucky, 8-5, 2-0. Coach, first, how’s Dan Tayn, and second, tell us what we can expect tonight.”
Dan will be out 2-3 weeks the docs tell us. They’re a good team with some really good scoring guards, and a Power Forward who gets points as well. They’ve beaten a couple of good teams, and they don’t really have any bad losses. They take really good care of the ball. We need to contain the outside scorers and get some rebounds to have a chance tonight.”

“Spike McGee, 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO, continuing with the postgame show. The River Hawks played terrific D to defeat Northern Kentucky, 63-44. Coach?”

“I was very happy with our D, and even happier that we got 35 RBs, while they got 21. We took really good care of the ball, too.”

“You overcame lots of foul trouble, Steve Colt fouled out early, and Mike Gear was in foul trouble all night before fouling out in the last minute.”

“I think that will serve as a great confidence booster. Pete Ross did a great job of filling in for the those two guys, but that meant I had to play Alex Jamm for lots of minutes. I thought Alex came through terrifically, particularly on D, and on the boards. We shot pretty well, and as always, Gene Beck carried us.”

“Yes he did, 24 points, 9 rebounds. And Roy Green had 16, with 4 RBs, and 5 assists.”

“Yes, we had to put Roy at the shooting guard spot, as well as at 3 and 4. He had a great game.”
“I know you need to leave, but thanks coach. We’ll be right back.”

January 11

“We’re back on ‘All about Sports.’ It’s time for the coach’s segment with Coach Kip Clark. The lines are open. Coach, let’s talk about attendance.”

“It’s up, Spike, up quite a bit. We’re 9-5
, we play an exciting brand of hoops, and people seem to want to cheer us on. Believe me, that helps.”

Attendance last year averaged 1,286 per game. This year so far, it’s at 2,655 but that’s deceptive. The last few games have been much higher.”

“That’s right, Spike. People seem to be discovering us. I hope they’ll keep coming, and they’ll tell their friends to come, too. There are still plenty of seats available.”

“Let’s go to the phone. Kirk in Braintree.”

“Hi Spike, Coach. Coach, Daryl Wall went to high school here in Braintree and he was a heck of a player. When you’ve put him in he’s done a good job but he hardly plays at all. How come?”

“Well, Kirk, remember, every time you put one guy in, you need to take another guy out. Daryl has some talent but it’s a big jump from high school to college ball. He’s still making that transition. I see him getting better in practice, but he still has a way to go. Believe me, I hope he gets there and gets there quickly. I could use another big guy.”

“Ben in Worcester.”

“Coach, you guys have to have the ugliest uniforms I’ve ever seen. Can’t you do something about that?”

(Laughs) Ben, I have to tell you, of all the things I need to work on. The ugly uniforms- and yes, they are ugly, are pretty low on the priority list. The other thing is that we’re working on a limited budget. Long distance calls and scouting trips, and all the other things we need to do cost money. If we bought new uniforms it would take the money from things that will actually help us to get better.”

“That was interesting. Tell us about 3-11 South Dakota. They’re here for your next game tomorrow night.”

“Yes they are. They play man, and they use shuffle, which means they need to get points from everybody. Frankly, they’ve struggled with that. They’ve lost their last 6. A big piece of that has been the fact that their #3 and #4 guards both became academically ineligible. They haven’t won since. We think we can turn them over, and we think if we work we can control the inside game. That’s what it will take.”

“Anything new on Dan Tayn?”

“They tell me about two more weeks.”

January 12

“Spike McGee here with the postgame show. UML won 64-50, taking a big early lead and never letting it get closer than 8 points after the first few minutes. Coach?”

“I was mostly happy with the way we played tonight. I was not happy with Pete Ross, who was in foul trouble all night, but Alex Jamm played his best game of the year with 10 and 5, and Daryl Wall, who I rarely use, gave us 8 very good minutes. Gene Beck had 18, 9, and 4, and Mike Gear had 14.”

Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:32 pm

January 16

“Spike McGee in Florence, Alabama for the pregame show. Tonight it’s 10-5, 3-1, UML against 6-9, 2-2 North Alabama. Coach?”

“They play flex on O and they score outside. They play a man and they throw a press in now and then. Never know when it’s coming so you need to be alert at all times. They’ve looked way better ion conference than they did before. We’re going to work hard at turning them over. We think that’s the key. They’ve had trouble in that area.”

“Spike McGee here with the post game show. Tonight was not a good night for UML. They lost 57-64. They were +3 on the boards, +5 on turnovers, but they shot poorly. Gene Beck was 7-20 from close range, Roy Green was 3-10, and Mike Gear was 3-16. Coach couldn’t be with us tonight but I think it’s safe to say that he is probably not spreading sunshine around the locker room right now. We’ll speak with him about all of this on Wednesday at 7:00, on ‘All about Sports.’ Back in a minute.”

January 18

“Spike McGee, ‘All about Sports.’ We’re back. Coach, what happened on Monday night?”

“We lost! It was frustrating because we really didn’t play badly. But man did we SHOOT badly! That was the story, really. We work and work about getting open for good shots. We got open and then the shots didn’t fall in.”

You’re at home against Abilene Central tomorrow night.”

“Yes we are. They’re 10-6, 4-1 in conference, 7 wins in their last 8, so we expect a tough game. They’re not a good road team, so we hope that works in our favor. It’ll be the usual, play good D, get some rebounds, and make some shots.”

“Larry from Rehobeth.”

“Coach, have you heard the new Bob Dylan album?”

“I have, and I love it! I play it all the time when I’m at home. Deep stuff!”

“If you haven’t heard Mark Spoelstra yet, check him out.”

“I will, thanks Larry.”

“Grace in Cambridge. You’ve called in before, Grace.”

“Yes, I have. Coach, you’re having trouble defending the outside shot. Have you thought about using the 3-2 zone?”

“Great question, Grace. Yes, as a matter of fact we’re spending time learning it in practice. We just might go to it at some point, at least part time.”

“Okay Coach, good luck tomorrow night.”

“Thanks Spike.”

“Spike McGee, 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! See you next time.”

January 19

“Spike McGee here post game. Same old story in a 45-51 loss. Big problems on offense. Coach?”

“Actually, a NEW problem tonight. We made shots, we just didn’t take many, only 40. That was because we had 22 turnovers, which is inexcusable. I am not happy. Mike Gear had 18, no one else had more than 7.”

“Definitely a tough night.”

“We’ll just keep working. Most of this can be fixed. We’ll keep trying to fix it.”

“Thanks Coach. Back in a minute.”

January 23

“Spike McGee here in Edwardsville, Illinois for the game between UML and SIU Edwardsville. The Cougars are 11-6, 5-1, have won their last 5. Coach?”

“This is a tough team, especially at home. They play a really good man to man and they move the ball well on O. We’ll need to be at the top of our form to stay with them.”

“We’re back on the post game show. A great win, 68-62. Coach?”

“I love the way we hung in. This one went back and forth for a long time but we showed no quit at all.”

“You made shots tonight.”

“Yes, we did. We got the ball to Gene inside pretty much all night. He worked to get free, got the ball, and laid it in. 17 points, 12 rebounds. Steve Colt had 17 and 5 and was hot outside. Roy Green made a few inside and a couple outside. Our three guards were in foul trouble all night but Alex Jamm and Daryl Wall didn’t hurt us a bit when they came in. +10 on the boards. Not perfect but a really good road win against a good team.”

Thanks Coach. See you on Wednesday. We’ll be right back.”

January 25

“Spike McGee, 88.1, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! I’m here for the next few minutes with Coach Clark. The lines are open. Coach, your team is now averaging 6.7 rebounds a game better than your opponents, and exactly 1.0 turnovers better. Given that you lost one of your best players for the season, how do you account for this?”

“You know, I’ve thought a lot about that. We’ve even discussed it in coaches’ meetings. We’re a much better team with Marv Joab, but we don’t have him and we won’t have him. That’s the way it is. We’re quicker with Pete Ross starting and we’ve taken advantage of that quickness in lots of ways. At practice and in games, instead of focusing on what we lost we’ve focused on what we gained. We gained quickness. We gained a little outside D, we gained ball handling. Alex Jamm and even Daryl Wall have stepped up from the bench, and I think everyone on the team knows they need to work extra hard because Marv isn’t with us.”

“Rita in Billerica.”

“Hi Coach. Hey, Daryl Wall has really looked good. Don’t you think he should get more time?”

“Daryl seems to have a real fan club, and that’s great. We’re easing him into the lineup and we’ve been really happy with how he’s played. We don’t want to move too quickly, but I think I can safely say that in the future he’s very likely to increase his playing time.”

“Mark in Brighton.”

“Coach, your never gonna stop the outside shot until ya go with more man to man- a LOT more.”

“Thanks, Mark. I’ve said before that I am a big fan of man to man but we just don’t have the depth to play it full time. We aren’t deep enough to be able to afford foul trouble. You may have noticed that in tight spots, and near the end of close games, if we aren’t in foul trouble I go man every time.”

“We fly out later tonight to Georgia to play Savannah State. Tell us about them.”

“They’re having a tough season, 4-14, 1-6. They’ve lost their last 5, 8 of 9, 11 of 13. They have two big guys out with injuries. They have two scorers, their Center and their shooting guard. This is the kind of game I worry about. You can’t stop your players from reading the papers and my guys know this is not a great team. I always worry that we won’t hustle in a situation like this; we’ll think we can’t lose. When that happens you usually lose.”

“Thanks Coach, see you at the airport. We’ll be right back.”

January 26

“Spike McGee here with the post game show. The River Hawks did what they needed to do and won 66-54 tonight. Coach?”

“We took care of the ball, we stayed out of foul trouble, we shot 52.3%. That’s a formula for victory!”

“Big games from 3 guys.”

“Yes, Gene had 18 and 8, Mike Gear had 19, 5, 3, and Roy Green had 16, 3 and 4. But everybody played good D.”

“You have Dan Tayn back at 100% but you didn’t use him- for that matter you played your starters pretty much all the way.”

“Yes, that was probably a mistake on my part. I should have rested my guys more. I’ll try to keep that in mind in the future.”

“Okay Coach, great win! We’ll be right back.”

January 30

“Spike McGee pregame at the Tsongas Center which looks pretty close to full. Tonight it’s Grand Canyon, 6-14, 1-7. Here’s what Coach had to say.”

“They play flex on O and their 2 and 3 are their scorers. They play 1-2-2, which we haven’t seen all year. We’ve been practicing against it though. They’ve lost 7 in a row, 8 of 9. We want to keep the pressure on the ball. They tend to cough it up.”

“Spike McGee. We’re back, post game. 5,822 paid tonight. Biggest crowd since you graduated, Coach.”

“It’s great to see that. Hope it continues and I hope we start to sell the place out.”

“That would be great. 74-56. You’ve been scoring more points the last three games.”

Yes we have, finally. Gene was unbelievable tonight, 34 and 12. He worked to get open, we got him the ball, he knew what to do with it. But, the fact that we got 35 rebounds and had only 10 turnovers was huge.”

“You’re still playing six guys.”

“And still getting away with it! I would feel comfortable playing Tayn and Wall but as long as this is working, why change?”

“Why indeed. Thanks Coach. See you on Wednesday for ‘All about Sports.’ We’ll be right back.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:09 am

February 1964

Beatles go to #1 with “I Want to Hold your Hand.” They soon appear on the “Ed Sullivan Show. This starts the “British Invasion.”

Cassius Clay, soon to be Muhammed Ali, defeats Sonny Liston for the heavyweight championship.

February 1

“Welcome back to ‘All about Sports.’ Coach, Gene Beck has won conference player of the week for the 7th time in the last 9 weeks. Talk about him for a bit.”

“Gene is just a terrific player. He scores lots of points, gets lots of rebounds- he’s just a force. People don’t notice this as much but he’s a very good defender as well. He’s a natural leader and he’s the one the team looks to in tough situations, and he wants the ball then. I’m so pleased that we’ll have him back next year.”

“He’ll be your only returning starter unless Marv Joab comes back.”

“That’s true. But to tell you the truth, I’ll worry about that later. This year is keeping me fully occupied.”

“True, but what about recruiting.”

“I’ve said before that I’m confident that we’ll get some guys but that it will be in March and April.”

“That’s a little tension provoking isn’t it?”

“It could be if I let it. Recruiting coach Derek Rowe and I are doing all we can. I think it will work out.”

“Okay, Bruce in Dedham.”

“Hey Coach. Can you win the conference?”

“Probably not, Bruce, but I think we can finish near the top and make a good run at the tournament title.”

“Judy in Plymouth.”

“Coach, do you plan to rehire your assistants?”

“It’s way too early to think about that, Judy. I think they’re all working hard. No telling what spring will bring. It’s possible that one or more may move on to bigger schools. We’ll see.”

“And one more. Julius in Salem.”

“Coach, I wanted to thank you for the great job you’re doing.”

“Thanks Julius.”

“How are you enjoying your first year as a head coach?”

“I love it, as I’ve said before. It’s exhausting and all consuming, but it is a deeply complex task, and I love a challenge. I can’t imagine a job that would be more fascinating.”

“Okay. As you know Coach, we’re all flying out to Jacksonville in a couple of hours to play North Florida tomorrow night. Your thoughts?”

“North Florida is 8-12, 5-4. They’ve played pretty well in conference. Their Small Forward, Emerson, can light it up. He and Holmes are their rebounders, and they’re good with the ball. They play man, and they are definitely strong inside on both ends. It will be a challenge.

February 2

“Spike McGee, back from break. Tonight UML played some very good basketball, winning 70-56. Coach?”

“I am really pleased. We knew North Florida was strong inside. Our guys dominated them in the paint. Gene had 22 and 5, Roy Green 12 and 8, and Steve Colt 13, 6, 4. Alex Jamm had 5 and 4 from the bench. Our guards did a great job of finding the open man, only 11 TOs.”

“After the dust settled this leaves you in a four way tie for third, 1 back of the co-leaders.”

“Pretty exciting stuff. We’re going to try to keep playing as hard as we can.”

February 6

“Spike McGee courtside at Tsongas where we might just have a sell out crowd. It’s 11-10, 7-3 Kennesaw State tonight. Here’s what coach had to say.”

“They run the shuffle and score more outside than in. On D it’s man all the way. They are very up and down. Catch them on a good night and they’re tough.”

“Back from break. UML lost 56-62 tonight. Coach, you’d been scoring points the last few days but not tonight. What happened?”

“We were flat. I didn’t see much energy. Guys weren’t working hard enough to get open. As a result we had to take bad shots, and that led to too many misses. You don’t win often when you score 56. The bench was the difference. Theirs got 15 points and ours got 3. I don’t expect to win them all but this one was winnable.”

“Thanks Coach. Let’s take a break.”

February 8

“’All about Sports’. Welcome back to Coach Kip Clark. Coach, the loss on Monday dropped you down to 5th, tied with two other teams, and two back of the lead.”

“There’s a real scramble at the top. One bad loss really hurts. And make no mistake, a loss at home is a bad loss.”

“And so…”

“And so we keep working, keep trying to improve.”

“Here’s Jake, right here on campus.”

“Hey coach, you think your guys are getting tired because of all the minutes they’ve played?”

“That’s a possibility, Jake. I don’t have a lot of options, but I hope to find spots where I can rest my players. I can tell you that I don’t wear them out at practice. We go hard when we need to, but I’m more interested in knowing that they’re learning where to be in a given situation.”

“Ernie in Concord.”

“Coach, play more guys for cryin’ out loud. A little rest would make your guys better at the end.”

“Thanks Ernie, I’ll keep that in mind.”

12-10, 8-3 Central Arkansas is in on Thursday. They’re one game up on you.”

“Yes they are, so this is a big game, but all of them are big from now on. They play 1-3-1, which we haven’t had much luck against. On O they’re all over the place, really hard to figure out. We’ll probably need to go with more man to man. They’re red hot, won 6 out of the last 7. They lost their starting Point to grades but they seem to be playing better since that happened. Go figure! He was their 2nd leading scorer! This is another game where we need to be on our toes.”

Great win in a tight game, 53-50. Spike McGee back here after the game. Quite the finish, Coach!”

“To say the least!”

“For those of you who got here late the lead changed hands 5 times in the last 90 seconds. UML got the ball with 8 seconds left and the score tied. Steve Colt got it to Mike Gear who got it back to Steve who threw up a 22 footer that went in at the buzzer for the win. And a big win it was, Coach.”

“It puts us in a 3 way tie for 4th. As you pointed out, Spike, it was an incredible ending, but Gene Beck was the guy who got us to that point, 13 points, 12 rebounds. All six of my players contributed and all of them played great D. We were +10 on the boards.”

“You didn’t score many again tonight, Coach. No we didn’t, and that’s still maddening, but our great D made it okay.”

February 13

Spike McGee in San Antonio, Texas before the start of the game between UML and 1st place Inane Word, 14-9, 10-2. Big game, Coach?”

“You might say so! They’ve won 10 of the last 12, and they’re especially tough at home, 8-3. They can score both inside and out but get lots of points from their guards. They don’t rebound well and they don’t like pressure. They play 5 out on O and man on D and they don’t press. Bottom line is that they’re the best team in the league. We need to play well and play smart.

“Spike McGee after the game. A great win, 54-45, for UML, but possibly a costly one. Guard Mike Gear went down with a back injury. Coach?”

“This looks day to day, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Mike misses at least one game. This was a very satisfying win. We never led for the first 28 minutes. After that the game was ours. That kind of determination means an awful lot. They doubled Gene Beck for most of the night. That left Roy Green open and we found him often. He wound up with 14 and 13. Gene had 13, 5, and 2 but he had to work for them. Mike had 10, 7, 4 before going out with the injury late. We were +8 on the boards which helped to overcome an awful 20 TOs. We forced 16 though, which helped. The win puts us in a five way tie for 3rd, one back of first, with three games to play.”

“Thanks Coach, see you Wednesday on ‘All about Sports.’ We’ll be right back.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:34 am

February 15

“Back from break with Coach Clark here on ‘All about Sports.’ Coach, 3 to play and you’re one game out of 1st place. Talk about that.”

“It’s amazing. I never expected this. At the start of the season I hoped to finish in the middle of the pack.”
“When did you start to think you could be better than that.”

“A couple of times. First was when we started winning lots of games in the pre-conference season. Then when we lost Marv and kept winning I really thought we were better than I had figured us to be.”

“How do you explain it, Coach? This is basically the same team that went 8-20 last season, without Marv. You don’t really play your freshmen much.”

“Two things, attitude and conditioning. As to the first, we believe in ourselves and we refuse to give up. The staff has worked very hard on that. If you believe and if you don’t quit, good things can happen. As to the 2nd, conditioning is vital. We didn’t know we’d lose Marv, and now Mike, at least temporarily, but being in excellent shape allows us to play lots of minutes and to still have something left late in the game.”

“Let’s go to the phones. Ron in Hudson, New Hampshire.”

“Hi coach. You guys are sure exciting this year. Is Mike Gear going to play tomorrow?”

“Very little. I can put him in for a minute or two to give guys a breather but that’s about it. That leaves us with two guards. It’s not going to be easy.”

“Al in Leominster.”

“Coach, how did you end up with three guards. You must have had walk ons who wanted to play.”

“I have walk ons that we use in practice but none of them are at a level where I can put them in a game.”

“Not even for a minute to give guys a breather?”

“Not in my view, no.”

“I’m shaking my head here, coach.”

“Yes, I think I can hear it.”

“Ouch! Good one, Coach. Okay, tomorrow we’re at NJIT. We beat them by 15 at our place.”

“We did. But we had Mike that night and he had a really good game. They’re 11-13, 6-7. They play man, and on offense they like to bring it inside. They’re 4-2 in the last 6, and they play well at home. They’re not good with the ball but I can’t really pressure them, unless it’s late in the game and we’re not in foul trouble. We need to control the boards and stop the inside game. Frankly, we’re awfully short handed. This one will be tough. We’ll give it all we have, though.”

February 16

“Spike McGee here after the game. UML went down 58-63. Coach?”

“We just didn’t have enough bodies tonight. When Steve Colt got into foul trouble I almost had to put the team trainer in. I’m proud of my guys for hanging tough. Mike should be able to give us minutes in our next game.”

February 20

Spike McGee, 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! We’re at courtside here for the home finale against Texas Pan American. They beat us by 5 at their place and they’re 9-16, 4-10. UML is in a 4 way tie for 4th so this is a very big game. Coach is here in a recorded interview.”

“They go all man on D and flex on O. they are definitely an outside team. They’ve lost their last 3.”

“What’s the word on Mike Gear?”

“He’s not quite 100% but he’ll play. I’m going to try to give him frequent breaks if I can.”

“We’re back after the game, and what a game it was! 77-48, biggest margin of victory all year. Coach?”

“We played really good basketball tonight. Steve Colt was amazing, 20 points, 8 rebounds. Pete Ross had his best game of the season, 19, 7, 3. Gene had 12, 7, and 3, and Roy Green 11, 7, 2. Mike was able to give us 21 good minutes, and Alex had 7 and 3 from the bench. +10 rebounding and +10 on turnovers. I’d take this kind of performance any time I can get it. Gotta go.”

“Thanks Coach. He can’t hear me, but the Hawks are in a 5 way tie for 2nd with one game to play, a tough road game at Northern Kentucky.”

February 22

“’All about Sports’ with our guest Coach Clark on the telephone. He only has a few minutes tonight. First, congratulations. 17-9, 10-5, tied for 2nd with one game to play. Tell us about the Northern Kentucky game.”

“Thanks Spike. We beat them by 19 at our place but they are a very different team at home. They use the shuffle offense and get more points outside than in. On D they play mostly man. They just had a 5 game win streak snapped when they lost at home in OT to NJIT. As always we’ll need to play good D, take care of the ball, rebound, and find the open man on O. It should be a good game, and there’s an awful lot at stake.”

“Thanks Coach. See you at the airport.”

“Thanks Spike.”

“We’ll be right back.”

February 23

“Spike McGee here after the game. UML put up a good fight but couldn’t quite get the job done. Final score was 70-75. Coach?”

“The thing that bothers me is that we blew a 15 point lead. That isn’t like us. It’s also the most point we gave up all year, tying the total for the Stetson game. Our fatal flaw all year has been defending the outside shot. We gave up 17 threes tonight and that’s what did us in. We led in every other category. The final telling statistic? Our bench got 2 points 4 rebounds, no assists. Their bench got 29, 9, and 8.”

“That’s amazing, Coach.”

“On the plus side we should get the #4 seed. Also, Gene had 19 and 15, Roy had 15 and 5, and Mike Gear had 16, 4, 3.”

Wayne23

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports