A Coach for Life

A Coach for Life

Postby TheShow23 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:12 pm

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]Some people where born to coach, I was always one of those types of individuals. From the time I could remember I was always drawing up plays. Growing up in Charlotte, North Carolina gave me and up close view of greatness in coaching. As a kid I watched plenty of North Carolina games spending more time focusing on legendary coach Dean Smith instead of the players. Mainly being recruited by CAA schools I decided to attend Virginia Commonwealth University.

After coming off the bench my first two seasons I became the starting point guard, I was nice role player who served as a coach on the floor. In my Junior year we won the regular season Colonial Athletic Association championship and then defeated George Mason, 55–54, in the 2004 CAA Men's Basketball Tournament championship. Earning an automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament 4th seeded Wake Forest, we lost by one point, 79–78. That Wake Forest team had a pretty good point guard, some guy named Chris Paul. My senior year I lost my starting job to incoming Freshman Eric Maynor, after going against him in practice for the first time I realized the right decision had been made.

In 2006 I graduated from VCU with a degree in Sports Management. My college coach was Jeff Capel, when he took the job at the University of Oklahoma he offered me a graduate assistant position on his staff. In three seasons at Oklahoma we went to two NCAA Tournaments including one Elite 8. Off the court I was able to get a Masters Degree in Education.
After the 2008-2009 season I would return to VCU becoming an assistant on Shaka Smart’s staff.

Preparing for another season on Coach Smart staff I received an unexpected call from the College of Charleston. Their coach Doug Wojcik was fired on August 5, 2014 after allegations of verbal abuse towards players surfaced. They were making the move to the CAA and with my background in that conference we quickly had a mutual interest. Three days later the paperwork was finished and at the age of 30 I had become head coach of the College of Charleston Cougars.
[/SIZE][/font]

TheShow23

Postby PointGuard » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Hey, a new dynasty...lookin' forward to TheShow!
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Awesome!
Wayne23

Postby TheShow23 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:24 pm

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]"Good afternoon, everybody and thank you so much for joining us today. This is an exciting day for our men's basketball program and I'm so happy to look out here and see so many people, so many alum, so many people that bleed Maroon and care about our men's basketball program. Thank you for being here. There are a lot of characteristics that you look at when you are selecting the next leader of your basketball program. There are core elements here that go without question; integrity, competitiveness, the ability to coach and recruit. Beyond that Steve Smith brings those four elements that make me very excited to have him leading our program.”

"One week ago today, we officially began the search process to find a new head basketball coach. I had many questions, good questions, on that day from a variety of the media that cover us on a regular basis and even some national media- what's the profile, what are you looking for?”

"I'm happy to tell you that Steve Smith fits the profile perfectly. You'll remember some of these profile points I made. We needed to hire somebody that was a teacher, somebody that had system which would excite the fan base. Most importantly we needed someone with experience in the CAA to ease our transition into our new conference. Coach Smith has played and work in the CAA as a coach. If you look his time in the CAA as a player and coach, and look where his teams finished that season, you'll see a lot of ones and twos.”

"He has boundless energy, one of those common traits I see in a lot of our coaches. When you get to know Steve, you will see what I'm talking about. He's a grinder. He's enthusiastic. He loves people. He loves to be around people. Great sense of humor, as a matter of fact, early in our conversation, when we got to next year's schedule, he reached his hand out and said, 'Nice to meet you Joe. I hope our paths will cross again."

"He's a communicator, great communicator. He will embrace our constituents and he will do that willingly and do that because he loves to be around people who care about the College of Charleston “

"His ability to connect with people, connect with players, connect with recruits, as I say, 'see the big picture on our campus and appreciate being a part of our university. "He has a very genuine priority on academic success. Again, I don't think we could have found anyone who fits this profile better than the man I'm about to introduce to you, our new men's head basketball coach, Steve Smith."

"I have to start off by saying how honored I am to stand here as the new head basketball coach at the College of Charleston.”

"I must thank President Glenn McConnell for this opportunity, AD Joe Hull, who I've just hit it off with and look so much forward to working with. They were a big part of my decision to come here to Charleston. I certainly want to thank them for this opportunity.”

“I have unbelievable appreciation for the players and coaches that have created the unbelievable tradition here at the College of Charleston. If you look at all of the regimes, from back to John Kresse, Tom Herrion, Bobby Cremins and the great players - some of who might be here - that tradition is unbelievably impressive. As a coach, the only thing you are trying to do is you are trying to look at where they have been successful. The next step is I sat down with some members of the faculty and you hear them talk about the College of Charleston and these things all resonate in my mind that this place is just the ideal fit for me. It is everything that I want. Everything I want in a community, everything I want in a school. You can hear the passion in their voice when they talk about Charleston, not just our basketball. It just became so clear that this is just the ideal fit for me. The process for me went to the next step. I got the chance to get up here yesterday right off the plane and meet with our players. I told the players our program is going to be about two things every single day. Number one is identity and the other is development. I told them exactly what I am going to do to create an identity.”

"I want to thank some very important people in my life that have helped to get me to the point I am in my career. Jeff Capel, who gave me my first chance in Division I basketball at Oklahoma as an graduate assistant. Shaka Smart, my boss and at VCU. Those two guys have been great mentors to me.”

"Now some of you, I'm sure, have heard that rumor that maybe I was the second, third, fourth, or fifth choice for this job. I don't know. Maybe I was. Maybe I wasn't. Roy Williams was like the tenth choice at Kansas and it worked out pretty well for him.”

"Our style of play, which I am sure we will have some questions about that, but it is an aggressive, attacking type of basketball. We full court press on every made basket and dead ball. We get after people form end line to end line. We fall back to an aggressive man to man defense. I learned Havoc from the master and that is what I intend to bring here. We are going to play aggressive, attacking defensive style of play. Offensively, we are going to push the basketball on misses and long rebounds. In the half-court we are going to run a hybrid offense which combines elements of the dribble drive offense, the Princeton offense, and a motion offense. We want guards who can attack and who can shoot, in terms of the bigs we are looking for versatile players who can do a variety of things in our offense.”

"Recruiting wise - we are going to recruit the best fits for our program. I could care less whether they are a 5 star or 1 star recruit. We will never-ever walk into a gym and take second fiddle or be okay with finishing second on anyone we recruit. When we walk in with that Cougars shirt on our chest, people are going to say, `Oh boy, here comes Steve and his crew, we better lace them up,' because we are going to compete everyday relentlessly on the recruiting trail. We have to start that right here in our home state and will use my connections to recruit in the Mid-Atlantic region as well.”

"We have a great university to sell. We will do everything in our power as a staff to make sure we get the players needed to move us forward as a program. But most importantly, we have the best fan base in college basketball. And because of you fans, young people are going to want to come to our school and they are going to want to play in front of you.”
"Thank you very much. I am excited to be your head coach and if you have any questions at this time I will be happy to answer them."
[/SIZE][/font]
TheShow23

Postby Emark » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Looking forward to seeing where this leads...
Emark

Postby TheShow23 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:43 pm

[SIZE="6"][color="DarkRed"]Jason Hyde commits to College of Charleston[/color][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]Three-star Hannah-Pamplico wing Jason Hyde called Steve Smith Tuesday night and committed to the College of Charleston, choosing the Cougars over offers from Old Dominion and East Carolina.

Hyde spoke about his reasons for becoming a Cougar.

Jason Hyde committed to COC last night.

"I liked College of Charleston because, first off, the academic side of it. I like how they have an academic adviser, everything is organized to help freshmen coming from high school transition to college easier. I saw that as a chance to move through college easier.”

"And I love the coaching staff. It's like a family. Once I got on campus, I felt like I was at home. I didn't even want to leave. (At the end of his visit) I was like, we're going home already? I just felt like I was at home. Everyone on campus is just so nice to each other. It's a perfect fit. It's not just the athletes that bond with each other, it's actually the whole school."

Hyde called Smith Tuesday night to break the good news and also spoke with College of Charleston assistant Dick Bender, his primary recruiter.

"I got on the phone with (Smith) and he was excited. He said I made his day," Hyde said with obvious joy in his voice. "So it was good to hear that. I talked to (Bender) after I talked to coach Smith. I'm not gonna say he knew I was going to commit but he knew I was pulling towards College of Charleston. He was excited also. We have a great relationship."

Smith wants to use Hyde on the wing at the two or three spots.

In a press release Coach Smith said about Hyde.

“We had one scholarship available so we had to make it count. Jason is the ideal candidate for a student-athlete in our program. In the classroom he is a 3.0 student and his teachers have said he is a leader among the students in the classroom. On the court Jason brings a lot to the table, excellent passer and athlete. Our fan base will enjoy some of his highlight real plays. In addition he can shoot from deep, rebounds well, and plays on both sides of the court. To get a kid ranked 120 in the country shows our ambition in recruiting.”

Rivals.com
[/SIZE][/font]
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:57 pm

[SIZE="7"][color="DarkRed"]2014/2015 College of Charleston Roster[/color][/SIZE]

[color="Black"][SIZE="5"]Point Guards[/SIZE][/color]

Kevin Callahan 6-3 205 Junior

*Matt Howard 6-0 172 Freshman

Ricky Jones 6-4 195 Senior

Michael Thorne 6-2 184 Senior

[color="Black"][SIZE="5"]Shooting Guards[/SIZE][/color]

*Anthony Horan 6-0 182 Sophomore

Keith Dotson 6-0 182 Freshman

*Devin Mickeal 6-1 174 Sophomore

[color="Black"][SIZE="5"]Small Forwards[/SIZE][/color]

Desmond Cross 6-7 234 Junior

Adrian Collins 6-8 212 Sophomore

Vincent Claxton 6-6 234 Freshman

[color="Black"][SIZE="5"]Power Forwards[/SIZE][/color]

*Thomas Walker 6-6 203 Freshman

Jeremy Edwards 6-8 216 Freshman

[color="Black"][SIZE="5"]Centers[/SIZE][/color]

Tyler Yearwood 6-10 236 Junior

*DeWy Purvis 6-10 271 Junior

Pat Simpson 6-9 270 Junior

Overview: Very young team, 8 Freshman and Sophomores. The younger players showed more in camp so that’s who we are going to go with this season. In two years this team will really be good.
TheShow23

Postby TheShow23 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm

[SIZE="5"][color="DarkRed"]2014/2015 College of Charleston Regular Season Schedule[/color][/SIZE]

November

[font="Times New Roman"]11/15/14 H Colorado State 66-58

11/18/14 A (17) Michigan 65-77

11/22/14 H Mississippi State 78-86

11/25/14 A Oregon 59-68

11/29/14 H Quinnipiac 69-67

[/font]

December

[font="Times New Roman"]12/2/14 A Vanderbilt 62-77

12/6/14 H Nevada 78-73

12/13/14 A Louisville 53-84

12/20/14 H North Texas 56-71

12/27/14 A Elon 52-71

12/30/14 H Hofstra 57-56
[/font]

January

[font="Times New Roman"]1/3/15 A Towson 67-71 OT

1/6/15 H Delaware 65-48

1/10/15 A UNC-Wilmington 48-49

1/13/15 H James Madison 55-74

1/17/15 A Drexel 61-42

1/20/15 H William & Mary 60-74

1/24/15 A Northeastern 37-72

1/27/15 H Elon 76-67

1/31/15 A Hofstra 67-81
[/font]

February

[font="Times New Roman"]2/3/15 H Towson 75-59

2/7/15 A Delaware 48-71

2/10/15 H UNC-Wilmington 74-60

2/14/15 A James Madison 63-75

2/17/15 H Drexel 79-63

2/21/15 A William & Mary 76-73

2/24/15 H Northeastern 52-50
[/font]
TheShow23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:20 am

What's with the * on the roster?
Wayne23

Postby Emark » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:43 pm

Wayne23 wrote:What's with the * on the roster?

I think they are the starters.
Emark

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports