Dysfunctional Dave McGee

Dysfunctional Dave McGee

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Coming soon: The story of a man who has a drinking problem, no people skills, but all of the coaching skills imaginable, and a tremendous knowledge of the game, its history and all of its little idiosyncrasies and nuances, as told by his long time friend and #1 assistant, Michael "Red" O'Connor.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby mmh4560 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 pm

Ok Thanks for share with us.. We are waiting for this story..........

http://24hourlaundromatanddrycleaners.com
mmh4560

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Dysfunctional Dave McGee
I guess it even surprises me how long I’ve been with Dave. He’s not an easy guy to get along with- hell, he’s impossible to get along with- three ex-wives, not a single other long term friendship, no connection to his family…

The man the media has always called “Dysfunctional” Dave McGee is one of a kind. He has a fierce, hair trigger temper, he has been known to get into street brawls, and more often bar brawls, he drinks way too much, he is constantly mad at the world to the point of almost being paranoid. He simply has few if any people skills regarding anyone but those involved with his basketball program.

On the other hand he has a deep, wide, long knowledge of basketball fundamentals, and an equal knowledge of the intricacies of the game. He is an excellent teacher. No one is better at putting together a practice that wastes no time at all. He has unquestioned integrity. He demands the best, in the sport, in the classroom, and on the street from his students. He expects them to avoid anything remotely resembling trouble. But he is loyal to a fault. He will defend his players completely in times of trouble, if he feels they are in the right, or even if it is questionable.

The media too often portrays him as simple. He isn’t. He’s exceedingly complex and usually conflicted.

Okay, where to start? Third grade I guess. I moved to Cranston, Rhode Island from Bridgeport, CT in October of my third grade year. As all schools do, this school teamed me with a kid who would show me around. When we got to lunch recess we went outside. There was a small group shooting baskets, dominated by a tall, rugged looking kid who was clearly in charge. He was yelling at one of the other kids as we drew near.

“Who’s that?”

“Stay away from him, Michael. He’s a real asshole.”

“He’s in the third grade, how bad could he be.”

“If you look at him he beats you up.”

“Hah… What’s his name?”

“Dave McGee.”

“What’s the deal?”

“I dunno. He’s in Miss Butler’s class, not ours. I just know he’s trouble.”

I walked over to the game.

“Hey McGee, kin I take a shot?”

… “Guy wants a shot ta the HEAD! What’s your name, kid?”

“Michael O’Connor. You kin call me Mike.”

“At least yer Irish. I figgered by the hair. Guys, this here is ‘Red’ O’Connor. Call him anything but ‘Red’ I’ll kick yer asses.”

He threw the ball to me, hard. I dribbled twice and took a jumper. It went in.

“Not bad, Red. Yer on my team. Jeff, switch ta skins.”

“Hey! Why I gotta-”

“SWITCH TA SKINS!!!”

That was the intro to Dave McGee. For some reason he liked me. Turned out he lived on the street right next to mine so we hung out a lot right from the beginning. It wasn’t easy being Dave’s friend. He just did stupid, annoying things. Couldn’t seem to help himself. I stuck it out though. I don’t know, I’ve always had a thing about underdogs for one thing. For another, he could play basketball, and even then he was the leader, the coach. He’d put plays in and they were way more sophisticated than you’d expect at this level. He had a head for the game.

He was a head case though. He and I were in school together from third grade through college at URI and I never once saw him do any school work. Don’t ask me how he passed! If a teacher said something he didn’t like, or tried to work with him, Dave would start a battle with the teacher, and more times than not, wind up kicked out of class. But he did pass. He claims he never failed a class, and his URI diploma is in his office.

I guess I’d have to say he was at least somewhat of a bully. Leave him alone, no problem, but get in his way and you’d pay. Kids, even kids 2-3 years older, quickly learned that it was best to do things Dave’s way.

None of that ever changed much over the years. Good or bad he was a leader, and people saw that in him right away.

He kept growing, a big, beefy kid. He was Power Forward all the way and that’s what he played from middle school through college. I was a shooting guard/small forward. I always had a good shot, and the ability to get open for it. I wound up being 6’4”, tall enough to switch between the 2 and 3 spots. I handled the ball okay but not well enough to play Point except in an emergency, and I was a shooter not a passer. Oh, Dave got to 6'6".

In high school Dave went through girl friends like other guys go through sweat socks. He was a big, good looking guy and he was a terrific flirt. But after a girl went out with him a couple of times she was done. He was just too volatile. I never heard that he forced himself on anyone and I don’t think he would do that, but I doubt he had much finesse, and he likely had even less patience.
He had a dim outlook, too.

“Red, it ain’t ever gonna happen for us. Don’t matter how good we are we’re just assholes from Cranston. Duke don’t want us; UCLA don’t want us. We’ll be lucky if URI takes us!”

He was right, but URI did take both of us after we won the state title our senior year at Cranston High. He became a starter as a sophomore and I did as a junior. We roomed together all through college.

We won the conference our senior year and even won our first round NCAA game. Then we got demolished by Syracuse in the 2nd round.

All through college Dave was a really good player, tough as hell, a good rebounder and a better defender. He didn’t score a lot but he did get key baskets fairly often. I was the shooter on the team, and in a lot of ways the star, although that didn’t mean anything to me. Dave and I were co-captains our senior year and that meant a lot.

Off the court his luck with women stayed the same; he dated lots of them but never seemed to have a relationship that lasted.

He never drank until senior year. He never should have started. Alcohol made him even more belligerent and morose than he already was. I can’t even count the number of times I talked him out of fights. Too often I didn’t. He was so big and strong that most guys would back down but when they didn’t it could get ugly very quickly.

We both wound up back at good old Cranston High, me as a history teacher, Dave as a P. E. teacher. He got the head basketball coaching job and I was his assistant. We did well. After a rocky first year we won the league four straight times.

That got him the head coaching job at Nichols College, Div. II. Again, I went with him. We both kept our teaching jobs at Cranston High though.

He got married during his third year at Nichols. He found a woman he couldn’t drive away. After 4 ½ months of marriage he… drove her away.

Then this past spring Bryant fired their head coach. Dave had complied a 91-36 record at Nichols, had won the conference each of the last four years, and had gotten to the Div. II finals or semifinals three of the four years. He never won it all though.

“That’s us, Red, we get there but we don’t get the friggin’ gold ring. Just the way it is. We’ll get ta the big time, you watch, but we’ll never get one a those cushy jobs like Kentucky or Texas, or even UConn, and we’ll never win it all. You’ll see.”

No one ever called Dave Pollyanna.

Anyway, Bryant offered him the job. He told them he would only take it if I got to go along as his #1. After some discussion that’s the way it turned out. Hey, we’re full time basketball coaches at a Div. I school at the tender age of 35! Not bad.

Rhode Island is a small state. Neither of us moved. Dave has an apartment in Cranston, and my wife and I have a small home a couple streets away. Oh, I got married at 28. My wife Jean and I have a boy, Bobby, 3 years old, and a girl, Sandy, 11 months. Jean’s a nurse at the hospital in Cranston.

Jean feels sorry for Dave and has a good effect on him. She’s two years younger but she really is kind of a mother figure. She can get him to hang his head and look embarrassed the way no one else ever could. Dave’s own mother was an alcoholic. She died when he was 15. His dad wasn’t much better. Dave kind of raised himself. He says if it wasn’t for his grandmother he never would have made it. She died when he was 19. He didn’t have brothers and sisters, so Jean and I, and the kids are his only family. He loves the kids and they love him. We have him over for all the holidays, and he’s usually here a couple nights a week. We do a lot of our work here. That may change now that there are two other assistants. We’ll see.

Okay, basketball, coming right up!
Wayne23

Postby shipfb21 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:35 pm

sounds like an interesting cat... I really like the intro. looking forward to this dynasty...
shipfb21

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:58 am

May 1, 2015: Dave, like most Irish Catholics in R. I., has a thing about Italians. He hates them. His sole descriptor for any Italian he meets is, “That FW.” You figure out what “FW” means. There are A LOT of Italians in R. I. As luck would have it the A. D. at Bryant is Frank Gillardi. Yep, you guessed it. Me, I don’t have a problem. People are people.

“That FW ain’t gonna give us what we need, Red.”

“Dave, just be diplomatic with him. Hey, he hired you, right?”

“Yeah, yeah.”

So anyway, Dave’s big on academics, integrity, and discipline, real big. Yeah, he’s got a temper. He plays a lot of 2-3, some man, some 1-2-2. Doesn’t press much. Ambition? He would love to coach at URI, that’s his dream job. I guess that makes him about average in ambition. He doesn't think the really top schools would ever hire him.

(Author’s Note: I set Dave at 1 in all categories for Current ratings. Potential: 65 for O, 75 for D, 70 each for the other 3.)

Dave and I work as a team, we have since we started coaching together at Cranston High. He always describes me as his Associate Head Coach. It will be nice if we rise high enough for that to mean something salary wise. If Jean didn't work I'm not sure our family would make ends meet. We hired Al Jones as our #2. He’ll recruit. Del Warren is #3 and he’ll scout. I’m the bench/practice coach.

In looking at game DVDs we think we have some talent with this team. It’s a long time until the first practice, but we’ll see. We’ll keep everybody through the exhibition games to see what we’ve got.

We only have $40,000 in the budget after hiring coaches. (Author's note: House rule: One coach can be promoted one level in a given season or when there's a vacancy.) We spend $10,000 on the Basic National Scouting report. We’re talking about doing no out of state recruiting until after SAT scores come out. Still talking it over with staff.

We have a bunch of guys in summer school to get their grades up.

We’re a long way from 1st practice but recruiting, if we do any fall recruiting starts soon. We’re planning practices, the assistants are looking at DVDs of our conference opponents to not tendencies, sets, things like that, looking at potential recruits. We’re all working 12 hour days, 6 days a week. Dave’s doing 7 days.

We decide, yes, in state recruits only until the end of January or later.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:29 pm

June 26: We’re looking at and trying to talk with 7 in state recruits.

July 4: Down to 3 in state recruits. (Author’s note: I ditch any recruit who has either D or F for defense, and/or who is below C for Overall rating.)

Still working the summer school thing with 7 of our kids. It gives us a chance to get to know them. The others, all R. I. kids, come in now and then to shoot around. We can’t coach but we can watch, and we can talk with them- just not in the gym.

We play in what is essentially a big high school gym. Chace Athletic Center sits 2700. It also has all of the Athletic Department and Coaches offices.

Dave came over for a July 4 celebration barbecue. We all went to a parade and then back home to eat and play. Dave is magic with Bobby and Sandy. He never runs out of patience with them and he’ll play until they crash and fall asleep. He never drinks while the kids are awake either.

“Hey, it’s a bad influence.”

He’d make a great dad. I hope he gets the chance someday.

July 19: “What’s with the guy, Red?”

“Frankie, he’s got a heart of gold. He just doesn’t have great people skills- except with the team, they’re great there.”

“Hey, I gave him a chance here. I coulda hired somebody else.”

“I know, Frankie. And he appreciates it; he just doesn’t know how to show it. Tell ya what. I’ll try to talk him into having me deal with you. You and I are fine. It’ll just save everybody a lot of aggravation.”

“Maybe that’s a good idea. When I got something’ I’ll come ta you.”

I've always run interference for Dave. Doing it with Frankie Gillardi is no big deal.

August 7: We’re not getting to first base with the two recruits in state we’re still chasing, but we’re not spending a lot of money, either.

August 21: “Whatta ya think, Red?”

“We’re never gonna get him, he’s #4 in the country.

“Yeah but he’s from Pawtucket. Maybe he wants ta stay near home. Alex?” (Alex Jones is our recruiter in case you forgot)

“What the hell. Offer to him. It’s not like kids are beatin’ down our doors.”

“That’s what I think.”

So we offered to #4 and to a PF and a PG we might actually have a shot with. They’re all local and the PF is from Cranston.
We know the family. Hey, it’s a small town!

September 4: We’re still chasing our three recruits. The PF looks like we have a real shot.

September 18: We lose #4. He’s going to Duke. Still working on the others.

“Okay, so we gonna go easy, right? We ain’t ready ta face any tough teams.”

“Coach, I think we should get one ranked team. That way the guys see what we’re aimin’ for.”

“Darrell (Darrell is our scouting coach), these guys are gonna all be graduated before we get anywhere near that level.”

“Coach, one good team is a good idea.”

“Alex… maybe so. Let’s put the schedule together.”

We wound up scheduling Georgia, not ranked but a good team. The rest were roughly as weak as we are.

September 22: “I don’t know, Red.”

“Dave, have you been drinking?”

“Jesus Red, I call yer house at 2:30 in the mornin’. A course I bin drinkin’!”

“Where are you?”

“I just got home.”

“You okay?”

“I met somebody about a month ago.”

“That’s not exactly news with you, Dave.”

“No, she’s special. I think maybe she’s the one.”

“Were you drinking with her?”

“She don’t drink.”

“What!”

“Yeah. I don’t drink when I’m with her.”

“Dave… I don’t know how to say this but-”

“Hey, I kin get off the sauce any time I want.”

“Frankly… yeah. How about we both get some sleep.”

“Okay Dave. Tell Jean and the kids I love ‘em.”

September 25: I feel like we’re really close with the PF.

October 2: Still no commitments.

First day of practice. Too soon to know much but we’re stronger inside than out.

We’re picked 2nd in the Northeast conf. Must be a weak conf.!

October 9: We got our first commitment, PF Kip Howe.
He dropped from 223 to 719, but we think he’s a good one. Now we need to get a couple of guards.

October 12: Thought I’d give you a couple of snapshots from practice. All the quotes are Dave. He always uses players’ last names.

“Pass it, Mel (PG Pete Mel). NO! Ya gotta LEAD ‘em!”

“Ta the HOLE, MARN (C Ed Marn). Yer 6’9”, one bounce an’ lay it in. C’mon!”

“Good move, Mel, good MOVE!!!”

“Okay, bring it in. Lane, yer my go to, when ya git it look fer the pick or git yerself open and fer crissake SHOOT! Neil, ya done good getting’ inside position. Keep doin’ that. Kilt, take the Point.”
We simply don’t have a PG. There are two on the team but I’m not sure either is up to the job. Priority #1 in recruiting is getting 2 PGs with our 2 remaining scholarships. We have one open offer to a PG who we like. He seemed interested but he’s backed off. Plenty of time.

November 6: Exhibitions showed us that we’re in trouble. We give the ball away like it was on fire. I suspect that the lineup we start with will not be the one we end with. We’re going with a 7 man rotation. Senior Cory Ken and soph Stan Burd start at guard with junior John Kilt and soph Pete Mel backing up. Senior Mike Lane is at SF, senior Rick Neil and junior Tim Star will be inside. Mike Lane starts at 3, as I said, but he’ll move inside to give the bigs a break, as will Cory Ken. It’s a thrown together kind of a thing and who knows?

November 11: “Happy Veteran’s Day."

"Dave, first you aren’t a veteran. Second, I’m not a veteran. Third it’s quarter to three.”

“There’s no one in the place except-”

“Where are you, Dave?”

“Just gettin’ in my car. Don’t worry, Margie’s drivin’.”

“Is this the same one you told me about last time?"

“Yeah, who else?”
“But you said you didn’t drink when you were with her.”

“That was then, this is now, ha ha ha ha ha. Take a left, baby.”

“Dave, do you mind if I get a little sleep.”

“Jes’ a minute. I gotta tell ya I’m scared. We ain’t ready ta open. Are we ready ta open?”

“Dave, everyone knows we’re rebuilding. We’ll be fine.”

“Jesus, I hope so!”

“Now can I sleep?”

“Okay, Red. Take a right, baby. See ya tomarra mornin’, bright and bleary.”

I don’t know how he does it. And he never seems to have a hangover. And… he pretty much does it every night. Whew!

“Dave, right?”

“Who else, Jean. Who else.”

“If he marries this one do you think he might settle down.”

“Sure, maybe for as long as a month.”

We host North Florida to start the season, and then travel to Howard. Niether team figures to be very good but then neither do we!

Dave cut 3 guys after the exhibitions. Two were walk ons and the other one should have been.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 am

November 20: Dave was pacing like a bridegroom waiting to meet his bride at the altar. He was really nervous. I tried to calm him down because I knew it would be picked up by the players.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m good. Don’t know why I’m nervous. I been a head coach for 10 years.”

But this was Division I, the big time.

Expectations and interest were equally low regarding Bryant basketball. We lost our opener in front of 872 fans, 50-53. Ball handling is our biggest concern and that was the problem, 20 TOs. We took only 39 shots. North FL wasn’t much better but they were good enough to win.

After the game we worked hard on ball movement in practice.

It was 49-45 for our first win, at Howard. We had an unbelievable 28 TOs, but +15 on the boards helped. We managed only 38 shots. Mike Lane had 15 and 10 at SF, Tim Star 13, 8 at C.

‘We ain’t got a friggin’ Point Guard, Red. (He didn’t say friggin’.)”

“I know, Dave.”

“What the hell we gonna do about that?”

“Make sure we recruit 2 or 3 of them for next year.”

“If we average 49.5 points an’ 24 TOs there might not be a friggin’ next year.”

“It’s a process, Red. We’ll keep working on it.”

And we did.

“Pass NOW!... LEAD HIM!!! Give it! NO-O-O-O-O! Jesus , are you guys color blind! You pass to the guys wearin’ the same color shirt! Do I gotta go shirts an' skins like on the playground. NO! Ya don;t pass low inside! The big guy gets it high. Don;t make him bend for it!”

It wasn’t all yelling though. Dave is good at charting, explaining, demonstrating, doing walk throughs. But the guys just don’t seem to be getting it.

This week we host 1-0 FL A &M, then travel to 1-1 Stetson. Good thing we didn’t schedule many good teams!

November 27: 58-54 over FL A & M at home. Mike had 15 and 5, Stan Burd had 10 and 7. But 24 TOs. +15 RBs saved us again. Dave is pulling his hair out over the TOs.

55-64 at Stetson.

“33 friggin’ shots! How the frig do ya take 33 friggin’shots in the whole friggin’ game. Jesus! It’s unbelievable!”

“Dave, we knew it was going to be a process.”

“Yeah, but we didn’t know we was gonna stink like a friggin’ skunk!”

“Hey, it wasn’t all bad.”

“21 TOs. 21 TOs!”

Stan had 16 points, Mike had 14, Tim 11, 6, 4.”

“We gotta do somethin’.”

“Wait ‘til tomorrow. We’ll meet then. We’re too hyped up tonight.”

“Yeah. I’m goin’ down to the bar. You comin’?”

The mood Dave was in, and considering we were in Texas, I figured I’d better go with him to try to keep him from getting shot.

On the plane to our next game we talked.

We decided to try Stan Burd at PG, backed by John Kilt, and move Cory Ken to the SG spot. I wasn’t confident that it would help but we needed to try something.

This week we were at 1-3 Northern Alabama and then home with 0-3 SE Missouri ST. No world beaters there.

December 4: 50-73. Well, the changes certainly had an effect!

“Worst friggin’ game a the year!”

“Dave, one step at a time. 14 TOs.”

“Yeah but we got hammered!”

“Dave, some good things happened.”

“Neil sucked.”

“He was in foul trouble all night. Cory had 15, Tim had 16-”

“An’ banged up his knee.”

“It doesn’t look bad, he'll play in the next game. Mike had 15.”

“Jesus, I wish I had their Point Guard, 42 friggin’ points!”

“We’ll work on doubling the shooter. We didn’t do a good job. Outside of that guy we were fine.”

“Yeah, outside a that Mrs. Lincoln, how’d ya like the friggin’ play!”

Dave takes his frustrations out on me. He doesn’t yell at the kids as much when things are tough. He sort of saves that for when things are going good. When it’s bad he tries to fix it and stays calm, more or less, well... for him. The guys love him though. He has their back in every situation and that trumps the rest. He suspended Mark Wilk for a week. Mark was mouthing off, probably because he isn't playing much. Coach put the hammer down. Mark cam back and so far he's working harder and he's a lot quieter. We'll see.

We snuck out a 55-53 win at home against SE Missouri ST.

“10 TOs, we took 48 shots, 19 and 8 for Ken, 17, 3, 2 for Mike-”

“And we only win by 2.”

“It’s a win, Dave. And again, 10 TOS.”

“Yeah, I gotta admit I’m happy about that.”

Only one this week, at 2-4 MD Eastern Shore.

We decide to expand the search for guards to the whole Atlantic East section.
We’re not spending a lot of money yet but we hope one or two will talk to us.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:40 pm

December 11: 55-66 at MD Eastern Shore.

“19 in the 2nd half. Jesus Q. Christ!”

“Mike had 25, we only had 15 TOs.”

“They had 6.”

“Dave, it’s not going to be a great season, but we’re building something here. We knew we had back court problems. That’s probably not going to get a lot better. But Mike and Tim look good, and Cory is way better at the SG spot than at the Point, and Stan’s not doing so bad at the Point.”

“Rick Neil is supposed ta be our best player and he ain’t doin’ squat.”

“He’s playing terrific D almost every game,. and he’s our #2 rebounder.”

“We need ta score. 53.1 per game is pathetic.”

“Yes, we need to score.”

Man, we sure do. It takes time for guys to learn a system. It’s frustrating to lose but 3-4 isn’t bad. If we can split our last 2 pre-conf. games I won’t be unhappy.

We host a tough 7-1 Delaware ST team this week, and that’s the easier of the two games. Yikes!

None of the new recruits are talking with us, at least not yet.

December 18: 52-66 vs. Delaware ST. Tim had 17 but fouled out in 16 minutes. Mike had 10 and 6. No one else had more than 5. TOs are getting better and RBs are okay but we don’t get enough shots and we don’t shoot well when we get the shots. We played a tough team though.

“Red, maybe I should quit.”

“Where are you, Dave?”

“Lefty’s Grill.”

“You alone?”

“No, Margie’s here.”

“It’s 2:15. How come they’re still open?”

“They ain’t. They took my drink at 2:00.”

“Go home and get some sleep, Dave. Oh, we’re not quitting, you’ve never been a quitter. We’ll be fine once the conference season starts. We’re fighting a little above our weight class right now.”

“Jesus, Georgia’s gonna kill us!”

“Don’t be so sure. Sometimes guys rise to the occasion.”

“I ain’t sure these guys would rise for Marilyn Monroe.”

Georgia is 5-3 and yeah, we’re going to get killed. After that it’s conf. play though.

December 25: 55-65 at Georgia. Not bad considering they’re the best team on the schedule.

“Down 22 in the first half.”

“Yeah but what a comeback. We got it to 3 late. We just need to work on scoring points, Dave. That’s the biggest problem now.”

“We’re still havin’ ball handlin’ problems.”

“Not as bad though. And 42 RBs against a good team. That had to feel good.”

“I guess. 18, 11 for Mike.”

“I think we’ll be fine in conf., I really do.”

“We’ll see.”

3-6 to end pre-conf. play.
Not what we wanted but I see sings that we’re getting better.

We start conf. play at Central CT, one of the better teams in conf., 6-3. Then we host 2-7 Stan Francis.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:49 pm

As usual Dave overdid it with XMas presents for the kids and for Jean. He brought Margie over. She seems nice. I hope she has a thick skin.

January 1, 2016: Not a good start. 40-62 vs. CCSU. -12 on the boards, 16 TOs, we shot 29.2%. 14, 10, 2 for Tim.

Then a heartbreaker at home, 59-61 vs. Stan Francis.

“10 TOs, 38 RBs, our most points a the year an’ we lose!”

“A prayer.”

“Yeah but it got answered! Beat on a 50 footer!”

“We’re getting better, Dave.”

“Meeting first thing in the mornin’.”

We tweak a couple of things but nothing major. We’ll see.

At 3-8 FDU, then home with 8-3 Robert Morris. We need a win this week, absolutely need one.

January 8: 68-53 at FDU. 19 TOs but they had 20. +11 RBs. We shot 58%. 4 guys in double figures.

“Jesus, we win one then we sh*t the bed at home! 54-70. Damn!”

“Robert Morris is tough
. We got nothing from our guards again. The big guys were fine. Keep working.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

This week it’s 4-9 Wagner there, and 6-7 Mount Mary here.

Oh, Mark Wilk got his 3rd suspension of the year. He’s been a real trouble maker. Two weeks this time.

January 15: The week from hell. 54-61 at Wagner. 23 TOs. Tim Star had a huge game, 28, 14, 2, 3, Mike Lane had 10 and 9, but no one else did anything.

Then Mount Mary beat us at our place, 53-58, and we had 2 injuries. 21 TOs, 16, 8 for Tim, not much else.

Tim hurt a wrist. He won’t miss any games, just a couple of days of practice. But PG Stan Burd got a very bad bicep injury and he’s out for three weeks.

“I know, I know, but we’re goin’ with Pete Mel. Kilt has gotten all kinds a sub minutes and he ain’t done nothin’.”

7-8, 3-3 Silly Hat is here, then we go to 7-8, 4-2 Sam Franklin. Pete Mel will be the third guy to start at PG this season.

January 22: 57-56 over Silly Hat.

“Jesus, maybe we accidentally found somethin’. Mel had no TOs.”

19, 9 for Ken Cory, 17, 8 for Mike Lane, only 11 TOs.

Then we got buried by Sam Franklin there, 43-69.

“But Mel only had 1 TO. Course he was in foul trouble half the night.”

Pete Mel, if he keeps this up, will continue to start when Stan gets back. We’ll see what that means to the lineup as a whole.

We’re still tied for last place, with 10 to play. 5-12, 2-6.

2 at home this week. 10-7, 6-2 Long Island is in, then CCSU, 9-8, 3-5.

January 29: “We friggin’ invent ways ta lose!”

64-71 vs. Long Island in OT. They scored the last 7 in regulation, the last 7 in OT. 20 TOs, 10 in the last 10 minutes (including OT).

Then we beat CCSU 64-59.
21, 6 for Mike, 17, 8 for Cory Ken, 15, 8 for Tim. 17 TOs and no production outside.

“Okay, we’re healthy. Now what?”

“We played better with Mel in the lineup.”

“I think so too.”

Anyway, we’re going with a 6 man rotation. Keep trying.

At 7-12, 5-5 Stan Francis. They won by 2 at our place. Then FDU at home. We won by 15 there.
Wayne23

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports