Dysfunctional Dave McGee

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:42 am

February 5: Trounced on the road again, 55-74 at Stan Francis.

“19 TOs! Is it ever gonna stop!”

“John Kilt had a big game, 14, 2, 3.”

“Yeah, if he keeps it up maybe we’ll give him Burd’s minutes. He had 8 of the TOs.”

Lane and Star looked good too.”

“Yeah but we just ain’t playin; like a team, Red.”

“It takes time, Dave.”

54-50 over FDU at home.

“You have to love Pete Mel’s TOs.”

“Yeah, he really takes good care a the ball just about ev’ry game. We looked good tonight.”

“4 guys with either 12 or 13, only 11 TOs, and we took 11 more shots than they did.”

“Which is practic’ly a miracle.”

“Small steps. Hey there’s 2 teams behind us in the standings.”

“Yeah and we’re all the way up to 289 in RPI, which is embarrassin’.”

“Better than Bryant has done in three years.”

This week we’re at 16-5, 9-3 Robert Morris, which figures to be a very tough game. Then we host 7-14, 3-9 Wagner. Unfortunately, after that 3 of our last 4 are on the road.

February 12: 48-76 at Robert Morris.

“Pathetic.”

“Hey, Tim’s been our best player and he’s a junior. If we can get him some help we’ll be okay next year.”

“Big if!”

65-51 over Wagner. 29, 9 for Mike Lane and we led all the way.

This week it’s 14-9, 10-4 Mount Mary, and 12-11, 8-6 Silly Hat, both on the road.

“We GOTTA get a split this week. We just GOTTA!”

All Frankie Gillardi asked was that we not finish last in conf. We’re in 6th right now but with 3 of 4 on the road last place is in sight.

February 19: “YEAH!!!”

63-49 over 1st place Mount Mary there. Go figure. 4 starters in double figures, +4 TOs. Pete Mel continues to move the ball without turning it over. This win means it’s impossible for us to finish last. Oh, this tied our longest win streak of the year- 2.

Then Silly Hat crushed us 42-66. 21 TOs, but Pete only had 2 of them.

2 to play. We host 10-15, 7-9 Sam Franklin, then we’re at 14-11, 10-6 Long Island. A split would be great. It would get us to 10 wins.

February 26: 62-57 over Sam Franklin. 25 for Mike, 1 TO for Pete, 11 for the team.

46-56 at Long Island.
17, 9 for Tim, 12, 10 for Mike, 11 TOs, 36 RBs.

“Hey, we got ta 10 wins. Never thought we would.”

10-17, 7-11, RPI #260.”

“Which sucks.”

“Which is the best Bryant has done in 5 years.”

Burd sprained a toe. He may or may not play in our first (hopefully not only tourney game).

We finish tied for 7th, the #8 seed. Unfortunately that means we play Robert Morris, #1 in the conf., in our first game. They beat us by 16, then by 28.

“Jesus, Robert Morris, That teams like the shark and we’re like the guppies.”

“Dave, it’s 2:00 a.m.”

“Yeah, I know. Margie an’ I are just leavin’ Lefty’s. How in hell we gonna beat Robert Morris?”

“Can we talk about this in the office tomorrow?”

“Okay, okay.”

The truth of the matter is that it’s pretty doubtful that we can win this game. I suspect that our season is over after that game. We aren’t having a lot of luck with recruiting. We desperately need to sign a couple of PGs.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:47 am

March 1: 58-55 over Robert Morris.

“It’s a friggin’ miracle!”

Pretty much. +16 on the boards, 12 TOs, 15 and 15 for Mike, 13, 7, 2 for Rick Neil from the bench, and get this, the winner was a 28 footer at the buzzer by Tim Star, our Center. His first career three.

“Hey, Mel passed it ta him cuz he was the only guy open. We had enough bad luck this year. I’ll take a little good luck.”

#5 seed, 13-15, 10-8 Stan Francis beat #4 so they’re up in the semis. They beat us by 2 at our place and 19 there.

“It prob’ly ends here but hey, we got that big win.”

Mister Optimist!

March 2: 68-58! We beat Stan Francis and we're in the finals!

“Am I dreamin’? Did I die an’ go ta heaven?”

I have no explanation. 21, 4, 2 for Cory Ken, 10, 9, 3, 2 for Mike Lane, 9 each for Mel (1 TO), and subs Rick Neil and John Kilt. 8, 7, 3 for Tim.

It’s # 2 seed Mount Mary for the title. 18-11, 12-6. We beat them by 5, then they beat us by 14.

“I can’t believe we’re playin’ for the title!”

“And for a trip to the Big Dance.”

“Crazy.”

Maybe the team just put it all together at last. Who knows.

March 3: “So friggin’ CLOSE!!!”

41-43. We knew their back court was strong and they were, but our front court made up for that. It came down to the last possession and their SG made a contested 19 footer.

“We had a friggin’ hand right in his face.”

“He’s a good shooter, Dave.”

“Damn!”

“Hey, it was a great finish and it gives me hope for next year.”

16, 5, 3 for Cory Ken who had a great tourney. He got hurt late and couldn’t go and that’ probably did us in. 7, 9 for Mike. We had 14 TOs but they had 15, and we were +7 on the boards.

We won’t be invited anywhere but again, it was a good way to finish. Now to convince some recruits!

March 5:

March 17: The Northeast conf. is gone from postseason play.

April 4: [B]

April 16: [B]Hal Cam, an SG, and Matt Cone, a PG, sign. We still need a PG.

April 23: We get PF Gee Tomm, but no guards. We were unable to fill two scholarships.

We ask for a facilities upgrade.

“After the way we sh*t the bed Gillardi won’t give it to us.”

“I explained that it would help with recruiting. Let’s hope.”

Denied.

We end the season at 12-18, tied for 7th in a10 team conf. Our only goal was not to finish last. We met it so Team Prestige is up to 4. This year? Same goal.

Dave’s ratings increased from 1 across the board to : Off- 3, Def.- 5, Recruiting- 10, Scouting- 2, Player Development- 4, Reputation- 4.

“Dave, we really didn’t do all that badly. I mean we had so little talent. We scrapped and we battled. I’m thinking top half of the conf. this year.”

“Jesus, I hope so. Losing this much sucks.”

April 30: “I need to speak with Michael O’Connor.”

“Speaking.”

“This is Sgt. Billings at the Cranston barracks. I’ve got Coach McGee. We don’t want to charge him, but he’s sh*t faced drunk. If you can take him home we’ll let it go.”

“I’ll be right there.”

"Now what?"

"He's at the barracks, Jean. If i pick him up and bring him home they won't arrest him.."

"I hope he realizes how lucky he is to have you."

"He does, Jean."

“Dave, this has got to stop. They could have arrested you.”

“Yeah, I know. I shouldn’t have drove.”

“Maybe you should think about cutting back on the booze.”

“Maybe I should.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:57 am

June 6: Jay Rodd, an SF who hardly played last year but who could have helped this year, transferred out. We bought the National Basic scouting report and we’re looking at transfers.

June 12: We get 2, Jon Cook, a junior PF from UNLV, and Brad Doss, a junior C from Auburn. Looking for a guard. (Author’s note: House rule prevents me chasing anyone better than 150 rank.)

June 16: We gamble on a PG from DePaul.

June 19: We get him, Luke Myer, junior PG.
Not sure he’ll be worth having but the way we recruit.

“Damn! We done okay with transfers, Red. You and Alex did a great job.”

“A lot of it was you, Dave. Parents love that strict discipline and kids believe in you.”

“Well, we better do some winnin’ this year or that won’t be worth squat.”

June 26: 3 scholarships. We want 2 PGs and a big but we’ll take what we can get. Looking at 8 PGs, 3 PFs, 2 Cs, all in the Atl. East, to start.

“We damn well better do a better job of recruitin’ this year.”

“I don’t know. We got a couple of good looking guys, and we got some transfers that will help.”

“We’ll see.”

July 17: Still after recruits. None of them are talking much but 2-3 are showing a little interest.

August 21: We offer to 2 PGs and a C.

“We better get some good guys here.”

September 18: No one yet but we’re close with a couple.

“How’d you do with Frankie?”

“Well, we have a schedule.”

“Yeah, I figured that, Red. Specifics?”

5 home 4 away pre-conf. You said cupcakes on the road, a little better at home if we could get them, which we mostly couldn’t. One or two challenges but possible challenges not sure losses. We worked hard. Here’s the list.”

“Fresno ST at home. Yeah, that’s a test. Charleston? Maybe. Nobody willin’ to come here, really, right?”

“Dave, we wore out the phone. If they come to our place and win it’s no help. If they lose it’s a disaster for them.”

“Yeah, I get that. How ‘bout the road.”

“Well, UNLV?”

“Three cupcakes an’ UNLV. They’ll beat us, but it’s good ta have a team like that. Ya done good, Red.”

“Thanks. You might want to thank Frankie, too. He worked hard.”

“Okay.”

“Red… no late night calls in 4 ½ months.”

“I’m tryin’, Red. Margie got all over me an’ she was right. I ain’t quit, but I’m drinkin’ less, an’ drinkin’ at home or in the hotel where I’m stayin’ if I’m on the road. Drunk drivin’ will get me fired.”

“I knew I liked Margie.”

“I hope so. You’re gonna be the best man.”

“... Great! When?”

“November 4, Friday night.”

“That’s great. Where?"

"Her mother’s place. Turns out her mom is kinda rich and got this big ole fancy house. Offered an’ me an’ Margie thought it’d be good politics.”

“Dave-”

“Yeah, I know. But Jesus. I gotta try again. Margie’s real good for me, an’ I really do love her. It’s at 6:00 so Jean and the kids can come, too. I really want all of you there. You’re the only family I got.”

“Wouldn’t miss it, Dave.”

September 25: Got one. Lost one. We got Bill Fine, PG, #594 right now. Lost a PG but offered to another one.

October 2: Lost the big guy.

1st day of practice.

“We’re mighty thin up front.”

“I think a little better than last year overall.”

“We’ll see.”

We’re picked 2nd in conf. again.”

“Yeah. Hope it’s more accurate than last year but Red, I just don’t know.”

“Too soon to know much of anything, but I’ll tell you one thing.”

“What’s that?”

“Next year we win the conf.”

“Big talk, buddy.”

“You heard it here first.”

November 4: It was a nice wedding. The groom’s only drink was the wedding toast. No time for a honeymoon but they’ll take a long weekend in the middle of the week. I’ll be in charge for three days.

November 6: “I don’t know. We better than last year, Red?”

“Definitely! Maybe not world beaters but we’re good enough to make the top half of the conf.”

“I’d take that.”

Here’s the lineup: Frosh Matt Cone who looks really good at guard with senior Mark Wilk. Wilk caused a lot of trouble last year but we think PT may solve that. Senior John Kilt will back them up. Junior Pete Mel is kind of out of the rotation right now but he played his way into a major role last year so we’ll see.

Junior Juco Hal Cam, who looks like a scoring machine is at SF. He’s a natural SG but his ball handling has been awful so we’re hoping we can hide that at the 3 spot. Inside it’s senior Tim Star returning and juniors Ed Marn and Stan Burd getting the rest of the minutes. But except for Star inside minutes are there for the taking. We feel like we should score a lot more points this year. That was one of our issues last year. As to the other one, ball handling, we’ll see. We could be stronger on D after Cone, Cam, and Star.

We start with 2 at home, Army and Boston. If we don’t start 2-0 it could be a long season.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:03 pm

November 20: A great first week.

“Best I felt since I got the job!”

70-58 over Army. 26 for Matt Cone, 17 for Mark Wilk, 14 for Hal Cam. Tim Start had 8 and 5 but fouled out and we’re in trouble inside without him. He’s really our only inside player. 14 TOs but -6 on the boards.

Then 65-44 over Boston
. 16, 4, 2, 2 for Mark, 15, 4 for Tim, 13, 4, 4, 2 for Matt, 9, 3, 4 for Hal. Ed Marn had 8 and 5. He may get more minutes if he can continue that.

“Two cupcakes at home but still. Winnin’s good for everythin’ that ails ya!”

“That it is, Dave. That it is.”

We travel to 0-1 Quinnipiac then host 1-0 Fresno ST this week.

This week will tell us, first, what we can do on the road, and second, what we can do against a decent team.

November 27: Back to reality. 54-67 at Quinnipiac.

“24 friggin’ TOs. I thought we’d fixed that.”

“Matt only had 1.”

“Yeah but everybody else had hair grease on their hands, I swear!”

Matt, Mark, and Tim did the scoring. We’re thinking of Ed Marn for Stan Burd. We think Ed will give us more rebounding, which is another issue.

41-44 vs. Fresno ST here. 18 TOs this time, 5 by Matt. The D was great but for the first time all year we just couldn’t score.

Here’s a little of what Dave is like during a game:

“Stan, back door! Damn it we practiced that. It was THERE!”

“Look inside, Matt! Work it to the bigs!”

“C’mon ref! Over the BACK!”

“Take it easy, Dave. You been on the kid all night.”

“Look Jim, I haven’t yelled at you once. I never do.”

“You know I’d T you up.”

“Yeah, but you’re consistent, and you know what you’re doin’.”

“It takes time, Dave. The kid’ll be fine in a couple a years.”

“In the meantime he’s killin’ me- NO! That was a block!”

“I’m tellin’ ya Dave, ease off.”

“Okay, okay.”

“Good rebound, Tim!”

Basically, Dave yells throughout the game, start to finish. Encouragement, advice, calls plays, switches defenses, criticizes things they miss, gets on the refs- you name it. He has one of those foghorn voices that penetrates through any other noise. He gets Tee’d up, but not as often as you’d think. He usually knows when the ref has had enough. He makes terrific use of halftime and time outs but we’ll talk about those things another time.

“Dave, we lost to the 2nd best team on the schedule by 3.”

“But we shoulda won.”

Burd must have heard us. He had a decent game. No changes yet. +11 RBs, our best all year.

This is our only 2 game road trip, at 4-0 Howard, then at 3-2 North Alabama. I’d love a split!

December 4: We got the split. 74-61 at Howard. 24 for Matt, 16 for Mark, 12, 6, 2, 2 for Tim, 10, 6, 3, 2 for Hal.

57-69 at North Alabama. 19 TOs, but that problem hasn’t been solved yet. 18, 5, 2 for Hal, 14 for Matt.

We need to rebound better, and ball handling is still a mess. We’re getting about 7.5 more PPG than last year.

3-3 ain’t all that bad. We went 3-6 pre-conf. last year. I’d sure like a couple more wins before we go to conf.!”

“Me too, Dave.”

One game this week, and for the next couple. We're hosting 1-4 Navy this week.

The marriage seems to be going well, but it’s only been a month. Dave says he still isn’t drinking in public except for at the hotels where we stay on the road. Learned his lesson? I’m not sure I’d go that far!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:51 pm

December 11: 64-60 in OT over Navy. It was a battle, no pun intended. Only 14 TOs- in 45 minutes! 19 for Star, 17 for Cone. RBs were even. Burd has been playing much better at PF. We’re giving him starter’s minutes.

This week we’re playing our toughest game, at 7-2, UNLV, #23 ranked.

December 18: 47-62 at UNLV. Not a huge surprise. 14 TOs and 40 RBs so we did some things really well. 27.7% shooting was not one of them. 18, 7, 3 for Matt, 10, 11, 2 for Tim, but they were the better team.

4-4 with one pre-conf. game to play. It’s a tough one. We host 6-2 Charleston.

December 25: 64-40.
12 TOs, +13 on the boards. 11, 10 for Tim, four in double figures.

Yes! 5-4! What a great way to finish!”

I agree. A two game improvement against slightly better competition- not that we actually beat any of the better teams, but still. All 4 losses were to decent teams, which means we won the games we needed to win. I’m sticking with that top half of the conf. prediction.

We start conf. play here with 5-4 Long Island, and then travel to 5-4 Silly Hat.

XMas was great. Bobby’s 4 ½, Sandy’s 2 ½ so they really had a great time. Dave and Margie spent most of the day with us, bought way too much for the kids, spoiled them and played with them all day, then went to Margie’s family’s place for dinner. They both had an absolute ball with our kids and had that, “Let’s have one of our own” look. I hope they wait a while. I’m rooting for them all the way but Dave’s track record is not good.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:44 pm

January 1, 2017: 68-38 over Long Island. We put it all together in this one. 12 TOs, 23, 5, 2 for Matt, 21, 3, 3 for Hal, 12, 6, 3 for Tim.

42-52 at Silly Hat. 14 TOs, -11 boards. 16 for Matt, 11, 6 for Tim but 4 fouls for both, and we just didn’t get enough offense from our other guys. We’re giving Pete Mel John Kilt’s minutes. Kilt isn’t giving us much.

“Hey, RPI 139.
We never came close to that last year, Red.”

“Wins help, and strength of schedule is up some.”

This week we host 6-5, 0-2 Robert Morris and travel to 8-3, 2-0 CCSU, picked #1 in conf. in the preseason polls.

January 8: Still winning at home, losing on the road. 59-55 over Rob’t Morris. 24, 6, 2 for Hal. 13 TOs.

We were down 2 with 1:22 to play. Dave called a TO.

“Look, you’re better than these guys. If they stay in the 2-3, Stan, set a good, solid pick for Hal. Do it ‘til they stop it. Hal, take the shot, don’t even look pass if you’re open. On D, you only got one foul Matt, stay in their PGs shirt. Tim and Stan, don’t chase your guy out side. Neither one a them 2 can hit anything past 6 feet. Stay the frig home an’ REBOUND! Mark, collapse in, your guy ain’t hittin’ sh*t. Let’s go!”

Efficient. The rule is don’t tell them too many things, but he spoke to all 5 guys. It worked. We scored the next 6 and held on.

48-64 at CCSU. -5 TOs, -2 RBs. 14 each for Tim and Matt but Matt fouled out late. It was over by then though.

“D*mn! We gotta start winnin’ a few on the road! We got a shot this week.”

FDU at home this week. They’re 5-8, 2-2. Then we go to 4-9, 0-4 Wagner.

Three teams ahead of us, three behind us, three tied with us right now.

January 15: 34-43 to FDU. We shot 22% at home, 2-22 on threes. 11 RBs for Tim. We had one of our better crowds, 1547, but by the end most were gone.

“Blew a great friggin’ chance. How the frig do ya score 34 friggin’ points! You guys got any little sisters that play hoops? Watch ‘em friggin’ shoot, maybe you’ll friggin’ learn somethin’.”

When I write “friggin’”, yeah, that’s not what Dave is saying- ever, except maybe to a ref.

70-64 at Wagner. We really worked the offense to prep for this one and it helped. 2nd most points of the season. 18, 3, 2, 2 for Hal but 8 TOs, 17 for Matt but 5 TOs, 14 for Mark, 10, 8 for Tim. Pete Mel had 4 TOs. We had 19 TOs, 17 by our guards. Not good. But we got the “W.”

7-8, 3-3 Sam Franklin is here and then it’s 8-7, 5-1, tied for 1st Mount Mary there.

8-7, 3-3, RPI 154. We’re holding our own but the home game with SFU is a must win, pretty much.

January 22: 71-35 over SFU. Matt Cone had 30. He couldn’t miss. 8, 8, 3, 3 for Tim. 9, 4, 6 for Pete from the bench. 32 RBs and 3- yeah, 3 TOs.

54-59 at Mount Mary. 20, 3, 3 for Matt who’s really hot, 17, 9, 2 for Tim. Not much from anyone else though. We got down 15 early and never quite got back even. We had the ball down one basket 5 times and never hit the key shot.

“D*mn! It’s the road! It ain’t the road ta h*ll! Basket’s the same friggin’ size. The crowds ain’t all that noisy, everythin’s the same. Make the friggin’ shots! An’ fer chrissake take care a the BALL!”

Still, we’re 9-8, 4-4, 2 back of the lead. If we could get something going good things could happen. Our longest win streak since we got to Bryant last season is still 2 games. We need to string some together.

A tough home game with 14-3, 6-2 Stan Francis, then on the road to 8-9, 3-5 Long Island. If we’re going to get it together now would be a good time!

We desperately need more from SF and PF but I don’t see it happening.

January 29: Ouch! 49-69 to Stan Francis at home. 17, 4, 2 for Hal, 9, 5, 3 for tim, and not much for anyone else. 17 TOs, -6 RBs. Okay, they’re a better team.

56-57 at LIU. This one hurt. It was ours for the taking. 18, 6, 4, 4 for Tim, 13 for Stan. But 17 TOs (they had 20) and a pathetic 20 RBs (they had 19). It was a terribly sloppy game for both teams.

We got the ball back with 8.7 to go. Dave called a TO and put in the play.

“They been man all night. We ain’t run a clear yet. Stan’s been hot. Everybody else draw your man out. Matt get it to Stan. Stan take yer guy and go to the hole fer a layup.”

The set up was perfect. Stan was ready for the pass with about 2 ticks left. Matt faked, passed, and their PG tipped it. It rolled along the floor as time ran out.

January 31: “Red on the head!”

“It’s a been a while since the last 2:15 a.m. phone call.”

“I was so pissy Margie got real mad an’ tore my head off. I said frig it. I’m at Lefty’s. Come on down.”

“Um, I was asleep?”

“You ain’t now. C’mon.”

I went. Dave was about as drunk as I’ve ever seen him. The bartender wanted to close and was about ready to call the police because Dave was giving him a hard time about getting one more drink. I told the bartender to give me 2-3 minutes. I managed to talk Dave into coming home with me. He wouldn’t go to his house; said Margie wouldn’t want to see him like this. He slept on the couch, was up at 6:45, and out of the house by 7:00. He told me later that he jogged home and he and Margie patched it up and went to get his car at Lefty’s. The woman is a saint!

Three game losing streak, our longest of the season.

We host 10-9, 5-5 Silly Hat, then go to 11-8, 5-5 Robert Morris. We need a win and two would be a whole lot better!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:13 pm

February 5: 60-59 over Silly Hat. -10 RBs, but we got the one that counted. We got the ball down one at the end again. Dave set up a play for Tim. It worked, Tim missed a 6 footer, but Mark got the tip in. We escaped. 11 TOs. 13 each for Hal and Matt but Hal had 7 of the TOs. 9, 6 for Tim.

“See! You guys can do it when you get yer heads outta yer a$$e$! That put back by Mark was nuthin’ but heads up and hustle. If we get more a that we’ll do a h*ll of a lot better!”

40-52 at Rob’t Morris. 31.5%, 23.5% from long range. 18 TOs. Dave was too upset to talk to the kids after the game. I pointed out a few things, but in a positive way.

2 games out of 5th place with 6 to play. That top half finish isn’t looking so great.

Dave got hammered in the hotel bar and I rescued him at closing time. Rescued the bartender is more like it.

15-6, 9-3, 1st place CCSU is in town. Then we travel to 10-11, 7-5 FDU, who beat us by 9 at our place.

“We GOTTA win at least one this week or we’re lookin’ at 9th place. D*mn!”

I’m not sure it’s that bad but it isn’t good. We had a long staff meeting to see if there was anything new to try. There isn’t.

February 12: A great week! 61-43 over CCSU! Matt went crazy, 32, 6, 2. Tim had 15, 10, 3. We didn’t get a lot more, except for good work by Ed Marn from the bench, but it was enough. +13 RBs, -6 TOs.

70-61 at FDU. This was a very big win. 19 for Hal, 16, 9 for Tim, good play by the other starters and Ed Marn. 17 TOs but they had 24.

3 way tie for 4th. Can’t finish 1st or last but everything else is possible with 4 left.

Last place Wagner, 6-17, 2-12 is here. Then we’re at 11-12, 7-7 Sam Franklin. We won 71-35 here but the road is hard.

February 19: 45-32 over Wagner. A very weird game. 13, 11, 2, 3 for Tim. No one else on either team got more than 7 points. We were +4 RBs, +5 TOs.

“The least pathetic team won.”

“Hey, 3 in a row, Dave. First time ever.”

“I didn’t say I wouldn’t take it.”

64-57 at Sam Franklin! We took an early lead, built it to 19 early in the 2nd half and hung on. The final was as close as it got. 20, 5, 5 for Hal, 20, 5, 4 for Matt. 12, 9, 2 for Tim who we will miss like crazy when he graduates in a couple of months. 11 TOs, our best road TO # since we got here.

“WOOOOO!!! 4 in a row an’ tied fer 3rd! WOOOOOO!”

14-11, 11-5 Mount Mary is here. They only won by 5 there. Then it’s Stan Francis, 17-8, 9-7, there, to end the regular season. They won by 20 at our place.

We gotta win the home game an’ hope fer the road game.”

“10-8 would be pretty darn good.”

“11-7 would be terrific!”

“Well, we’re playing well. Let’s see what happens.”

14-11, 9-7, RPI #120.

February 26: 48-53 to Mount Mary. 22 TOs, 2nd worst of the year. 13, 7, 2 for Hal, 12, 6, 2, 4 for Tim. Matt and Pete both fouled out and Dave got Tee’d up. 17 trips to the line for them, 4 for us, and that was the difference.

58-65 at Stan Francis. We blew a 10 point lead. We just fell apart in the last 5-7 minutes. 18 TOs, at least half of them late in the game. 26 for Matt, 12, 5 for Mark but 7 TOs. Tim had 8 RBs but they doubled him and he didn’t score a point; never took a shot!

“Friggin’ guards never got the ball inside. No wonder we lost!” -8 TOs, -6 RBs.

14-13, 9-9 at the end of the regular season.

We’ll play #4 seed FDU in the round of 8. They won by 9 at their place, we won by 9 at ours so it should be interesting!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:19 pm

March 1: 66-49 over FDU! 9 TOs, 2nd best of the season. +4 RBs. 5 starters in doubles for the first time since we arrived at Bryant. We scored the first 7 and never trailed.

#1 seed CCSU, 20-8, 13-5, in the semis. We lost by 16 there, won by 18 at home so who knows? Their starting C is out with a broken foot.

March 2: 59-69. 23 TOs- 2nd worst of the year. +10 RBs wasn’t enough to counteract that. 19, 6, 4 for Hal, 15, 7 for Tim in what is most likely his last game here. We can hope for a trip to the CHI but I think it’s unlikely.

March 3: CCSU won the title.

March 6: Margie McGee came over to speak with Jean and me at about 8:00 last night.

“I hope you two don’t mind but I really need to talk about this.”

“Red and I don’t mind, Margie. Go ahead.”

“I’m kind of at my wits’ end. Dave is so good in so many ways. I know that he loves me. He says it and shows it all the time. He’d never cheat. He’d never beat me or even mentally abuse me. We fight, but he backs down before I do. He’s great with kids. He’s good at what he does…”

“It’s the drinking.”

“Yes Red, it’s the drinking. It’s terrible. He’s never mean to me or anything like that but I just can’t deal with it.”

“I understand.”

“I love him to pieces but I just don’t know. I thought maybe a baby, since he’s so great with your two, but suppose it doesn’t get better. I don’t want my child growing up in a broken family.”

“I can see that. It would be a huge risk.”

“He really wants a baby but… I just don’t know.”

We talked for at least 2 ½ hours. At the end she thought she’d tell Dave that if he wanted a baby he had to be sober for a year- not cut back, not drink less, but be completely sober for a year.

March 12: Not selected, as suspected.

March 19: CCSU made it to the 2nd round but that was it.

March 26: PF Dwayne Johnson signed. He’s #74 so a real find. He was 263 when we started chasing him.

April 4: Arizona won it all by 1 point over Duke.

Awards: Tim Star is conf. POY and 1st team. Matt Cone is Freshman OY and 2nd team. Hal Cam is 1st team.

April 9: Dave actually got 2 head coach offers.

“I ain’t leavin’ Rhode Island.”

That means Bryant, Brown, Providence, and his dream school and our alma mater, URI.

April 16: We switch our scholarship offer to SG Ben Ahab, #150. The PG we’ve chased all season never gave us a tumble so we dropped him.

April 23: We got Ben Ahab.
Attendance increased this year- by 349 fans per game, so we ask for a facilities upgrade, figuring we have a shot at it. Frankie said yes. Up from D+ to C+.
We end the season at 15-14, 9-9, RPI #142. Way better than last season. Team Prestige jumps one notch to 5. Our record for 2 seasons is 27-32, .458, but I feel really good about next year. Dave’s #s are: Off.- 7, Def.- 11, Recruit- 27, Scout- 2, Player Development- 9, Reputation- 7.

April 25: “She left me. Took all her stuff and left.”

“I’m sorry, Dave.”

“My own friggin’ fault. I couldn’t quit drinkin’ fer more’n like a week an’ a half.”

I didn’t say anything because there wasn’t anything to say.

“It woulda worked if we’d a had a kid. I never drink around your kids.”

“No but you start as soon as they’re in bed.”

“Yeah. I guess I do. Sh*t! I really love her.”

The next few weeks are probably not going to be a lot of fun.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 am

May 14: There have been lots of middle of the night calls from Dave but at least he’s drinking at home.

June 6: We have 2 slots open for transfers.

June 16: We get 2, soph PG Ren Hay from LSU, and soph, Geo Dock, a very good looking SG from Nome.

Dave is really struggling. Margie is gone. She won’t accept his calls, won’t tell him where she is living. He blew it and he knows it. He has gone on the wagon. It’s only 5 days but it’s a start. He won’t hear of going to either AA or a therapist though.

June 26: 4 scholarships. Ideally it would be 3 bigs and a PG, but we’ll see. Looking at 5 PGs, 8 PFs, 3 Cs to start. Dave is still sober.

July 29: 48 days sober for Dave but he has an empty look. He’s still missing Margie but he’s missing the booze, too. He’s kind of mopey and listless.

August 21: We offer to 3 PFs, all of whom are showing interest. Still trying to attract a PG.

August 28: We go for a PG who’s in NY, hoping that he’ll become interested.

Dave says he calls Margie’s number once a week and leaves a message telling her how many days he’s been sober. 78 right now.

September 18: 6 of 9 pre-conf. games on the road. We’re going with easy teams for most of them except for Texas Tech. They’re that one tough team we like to face.

Still no commitments but 2-3 are close.

September 19: “She answered the phone!”

“Margie?”

“Yeah. Today’s 100 days and I called and she answered. Said she’d meet me for coffee.”

“That’s great, Dave.”

“I’m real nervous.”

“Dave, you’re a good guy. You’ve got a heart of gold. Just stay off the sauce and everything will be fine.”

September 25: We got one, Cal Wait, PG, #473 for now. We need to get some big guys. Plenty of time and we have money.

October 2: We are definitely better than last year. I’m excited.

We’re picked to win the conf. and I think we can do it.

October 9: Got a big guy, Al Mack, PF, #582.

October 14: “She’s comin’ back!”

“That’s great, Dave.”

“Yeah, she says if I can stay sober this can work. I’m sure workin’ on it. 125 days!”

Truth is I’m amazed. Dave looks good, and he seems calmer. I think this is a long shot but fingers are crossed, Jean’s too.

November 1: Margie’s back in the house with Dave and they’re talking about having a baby. It’s too soon.

“Hey, I’m 38 and Margie’s 35. If we’re gonna do this…”

November 6: Recruit PG Cal Wait drops all the way to #80, but Al Mack falls to 1096, ouch! Still chasing bigs. We’re close with one who we’ve been after for a long time. He jumped from 547 to 193.

We have a lineup. Soph Matt Cone is our lead guard, playing some 1, some 2. Senior Hal Cam, junior Juco Bill Fine, and junior transfer from DePaul Luke Myer will battle for PT at 2 and some at 3. Junior UNLV transfer Jon Cook will start at SF and play some PF. Junior Auburn transfer Brad Doss looked great in the exhibitions and will start at C. Senior Ed Marn will start at PF. Lots of minutes are up for grabs.

We start on the road at Anal Roberts and then Towson.

Dave says no luck on Margie getting pregnant yet but things are going well and he hasn’t had a drink in a very long time.

I asked what he spends the time on. Drinking took up a lot of his time.

“Margie and coaching stuff.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:03 pm

November 20: Great start, 2 road wins. 85-69 over A. Roberts. We thought Brad Doss might be special and he certainly was in our first game, 28 and 15. 11, 8 for Ed Marn at PF, 12, 3, 5 for matt Cone, 11, 1, 3, 2 for Luke Myer from the bench. 11 TOs, 38 RBs.

68-55 over Towson.
15, 5 for Luke, 10, 1, 4 for Bill Fine from the bench, 11 with 5 assists for Hal Cam, 7, 6, 3, 5 for Brad. +9 RBs, but a horrible 25 TOs.

“D*mn! Are we ever gonna learn to handle the friggin’ ball!”

At 1-1 Lipscomb, then 0-2 Kennesaw ST.

November 27: 76-58 at Lipscomb. Front court dominated, 20, 5 for Brad, 11, 12, 4, 2 for jon Cook, 13, 5 for Ed Marn. Matt Cone is not off to a good start, he fouled out. Luke Myer had 10, 4 in his place. 15 TOs.

60-64 at Kennesaw ST. 19, 10, 1, 2 for Brad, 11, 5 for Ed, 10, 2, 2 for Bill. 14 TOs. We didn’t get great shots, especially outside, 4-18. Matt is simply not playing well.

We decide to give Luke Myer more time. Cook will lose some time. Myer will take the Point more than Cone. We’re hoping this will increase Cone’s scoring.

Finally a home game then 2 more on the road. 1-2 Lafayette is here then we go to 1-2 Texas Tech, the toughest team on the schedule.

“Almost 6 months without a drink.”

“That’s great, Dave. How’s it going with Margie?”

“Real good. But still no baby on the way.”

“It’ll happen when it happens.”

“I guess- I hope!”

December 4: 67-56 over Lafayette in the home opener. 21, 6 for Brad, 15, 2, 4 for Luke in his first start, 15, 3 for Matt in his first game off the Point. 9 TOs. We could have rebounded better but we’re going small so we expected that.

58-66 at Texas Tech. They opened a 26 point lead at about 15 minutes in. We beat them from then on, but it wasn’t enough. Still, we showed grit. 21, 15 for Brad, 15, 3, 2 for Matt, 12, 4, 3 for Luke. 12 TOs, 31 boards. Texas Tech was a better team. We did okay.

“I think maybe we got our lineup.”

“Could be, Dave.”

“We need to get more from 2 and 4 but we’ll see.”

One game week, the 6th road game in our first seven, It gets better after this. We’re at Radford, 4-2.

Still tweaking, a few more minutes for Cook, Fine at the 3 more when he’s in with either Cone or Cam at the 2. I’m sure we’ll keep adjusting but all in all, we’re 4-2 and doing okay.

December 11: 62-53 over Radford, there.
28, 11 for Brad Doss who is really a player. Don’t know what Auburn had inside but it must have been a lot to let him slip away! 11 each for Luke and Matt who are doing great in their new roles. 18 TOs didn’t make Dave happy, but +9 RBs did.

“Ya know, we could go 7-2 pre-conf.”

“That would be awesome.”

“Feelin’ mighty good about this team!”

Scary! Dave’s being positive.

“We still need more from the 2 and 4 spots though.”

That’s more like it!

RPI is 101, the highest since we got to Bryant.

4-4 Wash. ST is in this week.

December 18: 61-58 over Wash. ST here. We never trailed after the 2nd minute but they reduced a 20 point lead to 3 and had a shot at the end. Fortunately it was long. Strange game, 19, 5 for Bill Fine, and 10, 4 for Jon Cook, both from the bench. Brad had 11 but only 3 boards. Ed had his best game in a while, 5, 8, 2, 3. 12 TOs, 30 RBs.

We end the pre-conf. schedule at home vs. 2-6 Hartford.

RPI is 56.

“D*mn! Ain’t that something!”

December 25: 76-60 over Hartford. 24 for Matt, 19 for Luke. 11 TOs. We didn’t rebound but we didn’t need to.

We start conf. play with 4-5 Silly hat here, then we go to 2-7 CCSU. They were projected to finish 3rd but they haven’t looked like it so far. We aren’t planning to take them lightly.

7-2, RPI #49.

It was great to spend XMas with Jean and the kids and Dave and Margie. So nice to see them together and looking happy. As always they spoiled our kids. Bobby and Sandy don’t even ask Jean and me for presents in the weeks before XMas. They go right to Dave and Margie, and they get everything they ask for. I’ve told Margie that starting next year it has to slow down a little. She winked at me.

After the kids went to bed we poured coffee.

“Best XMas present of my life, folks. You wanna tell ‘em, Margie?”

“You know you’re dying to tell them. Go ahead.”

“She’s gonna have a baby! Late June!”

“We had a lavish, loud, celebration. It had everything a celebration should have including NO alcohol.

After they left we talked.

“I really hope they can make it work, Red.”

“It’s been more than six months, Dave looks great, says he feels great, and says he never even thinks about booze.”

“Yes, but everything is going really well.”

There’s that.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports