Starting From the Bottom

Starting From the Bottom

Postby CoachAndy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:09 am

Hi all, not new to sim games but new to sharing via forums and interacting with other players. I'm a college kid in school looking to become a CBB coach so I figured this is a more productive time killer than killing people (i am fully aware this game is nothing like real coaching). Anyway if I do things wrong or you have suggestions for my general improvement please let me know :)

Andrew
CoachAndy

Re: Starting From the Bottom

Postby CoachAndy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:30 am

Philadelphia- University of Pennsylvania Head Men's Basketball coach James Price has announced the hiring of Hank Schrader (Columbia '10) as an assistant coach with the Quakers basketball program. Schrader, 26, comes to Penn after spending the past three seasons at Ivy League rival Columbia. While at Columbia, Schrader served as a graduate assistant coach and director of basketball operations for the Lions as they posted three consecutive 12+ win seasons. Schrader's primary duties including logistics and office work in addition to assisting with the planning and execution of practices. Prior to his time on the staff, Schrader was a 4 year standout for Columbia and was twice named to the All Ivy League Second Team as well as the Academic First team. An athletic guard known for his vision and shooting prowess, Schrader is expected to help revitalize a Penn offense that has struggled in recent years, finishing near the bottom of the Ivy League in field goal percentage and points per game. "We are very excited to bring in Hank, a brilliant mind with connections and experience in the unique environment of the Ivy League." said Price. Columbia Head Coach Victor Jesse said "I have had the privilege of working with Coach Schrader for seven years now and his growth and development are impressive. I have no doubt he will make an immediate impact at Pennsylvania and I applaud Coach Price on this exceptional hire."

The Schrader File:
Hometown: West Haven, Ct
Education: Columbia University- BA Education Leadership ('10), MA Politics and Education ('12)

Experience
Columbia University- Director of Basketball Operations
2012-13: 12-16 (4-10) 8th Ivy League
Columbia University- Graduate Assistant Coach
2011-12: 15-15 (4-10) 6th Ivy League
2010-11: 15-13 (6-8) 5th Ivy League
CoachAndy

Postby CoachAndy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:42 am

After completing my graduate school and spending a season as an unpaid volunteer at my alma mater, I knew it was time to look for a full time coaching position. I talked to my head coach and he fully supported me. At my request he made some phone calls and got me a pair of interviews. The first was for a position as the third assistant at Delaware. The head coach at Delaware was Dwayne O'Neil who had spent 5 years on the Columbia staff prior to taking that position. Although the interview went well, I disliked Delaware's campus feel and didn't see myself fitting in well with the staff and the team. I politely declined the job offer and headed to my second interview, at Ivy League rivals Pennsylvania. Everything about Penn oozes history and I loved that from the minute I walked into The Palestra. I played there 4 times during my time at Columbia and had been back as a coach 3 more. It still left me in awe. I met not only with third year head coach James Price but with his assistants C.J. Broermann and Jon Allen. I liked that the hiring decision was made collectively by the team and how open Coach Price was to input from his assistants. After the interview I met the team and agreed to take a position as the third assistant on a two year contract.

My duties with Penn were primarily focused on running practices and improving the Quaker's woeful offense. Fortunately, we had some strong guards and good potential. In addition I was responsible for monitoring eligibility (a difficult job in the Ivy League). We were picked finish fourth in the 8 team league following a fifth place finish with a dismal 9-22 record that had Coach Price on the hot seat. Our goals were to finish .500 or better while I was tasked with making sure we lost no players to eligibility violations and placing a player on an All Ivy League Team. Although these challenges will be tough, I am optimistic that we can have a strong season.
CoachAndy

Postby PointGuard » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Good start. I don't think I've seen a dynasty report previously by someone who coached at Penn, so good choice. :)
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby CoachAndy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:12 pm

After being picked preseason number 4 in the Ivy League, our expectations were not massive. As a staff we collectively agreed 15 wins would be a great season for the team. A brutal non-conference schedule featuring top 10 opponent Syracuse as well as powerhouses Purdue and Nebraska would make this a challenge. We started the season with a win over UMass Lowell before heading to Hawai'i to take on Purdue. The Boilermakers were heavy favorites and used a strong inside game to pound us 76-60. In addition, they outscored us in the paint 36-18. We followed that with a strong win against Central Connecticut State before travelling to Nebraska. The 1-1 Cornhuskers were talented but we shot lights out (7/12 from deep) and pulled a 66-64 upset for our first major win. Syracuse rolled into Philadelphia boasting a 4-0 record and a #10 national ranking. Fresh off a win against Drexel, we were 3-1 but huge underdogs. Fortunately, we shot spectacularly again and destroyed the 2-3 zone. We made 11 three pointers on our way to a 75-63 win. The rest of our non-conference schedule was less than spectacular, featuring losses to Dayton and Georgetown and wins over Southern Mississippi (A 21 win team out of C-USA) and Western Kentucky. We boasted an impressive 9-5 record heading into conference play and were considered capable of winning the Ivy League. We had our highs, including a 2 point overtime win at eventual champions Princeton, and our lows (a home loss to last place Brown) but managed to finish in a respectable second place. We earned a 3 seed in the NIT for our 19-9 record and hosted UC Irvine in the first round. Unfortunately, our shooting prowess went AWOL and we were edged 65-64 after going just 3-14 from three point range. At the end of the season we were nationally ranked #15 in points per game and #30 in field goal percentage, both massive improvements from the previous season. We shot 41% as a team from three point range and connected on a total of 217 long balls (7.5 per game). For our efforts, the entire coaching staff were given raises and contract extensions.

Team Honors:
All Ivy League First Team: OJ Gooden, Jaquay Miller
All Ivy League Second Team: Brett Richardson
Ivy League Defensive POTY: Jaquay Miller

Team Leaders:
PPG: Brett Richardson 14.4
RPG: OJ Gooden 5.1
APG: Brett Richardson, Jaquay Miller 3.1
SPG: Jaquay Miller 1.7
BPG: Jaquay Miller 1.0
FG%: Brett Richardson 58.4%
FT%: Jaquay Miller 86%
3PT%: Brett Richardson 54.5%
CoachAndy

Postby CoachAndy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:18 pm

My second season at Penn was one full of optimism. We returned several key players and brought in some solid recruits. Brett Richardson, the nation's best three point shooter was back and looking to improve on his 14.4 ppg. OJ Gooden was a 12 and 5 guy for us in the post and we expected him to dominate in the Ivy League once again. Picked second to defending champs Princeton, we knew the title was fully within our grasp. However, one of the strongest non-conference schedules in the country was going to destroy our record. We opened up in the Coaches Classic against #15 Oklahoma. OJ Gooden led the way with 14 points and 6 rebounds as we stunned the nation with a 71-62 win. In game two we played a Texas team that would reach a ranking of 13th later in the season. Defying all odds, we rode a 20 point 6 rebound performance from Brett Richardson (5-11 3pt) to a 76-74 victory. Going into game three against California, we were certain of defeat. The Golden Bears were ranked #11 and would end up in the Elite 8. Brett Richardson went 5-6 from deep and scored 24 points to propel us to our third upset victory in a week. The streak ended at Kentucky, the number 2 team in the country. We shot poorly for the first time all season and they pounded us 79-55. Despite the loss, our second place finish in the prestigious tournament had us ranked #15 in the country! Following the tournament, we traveled to Vanderbilt and TCU, both power conference teams. In the first game, we beat Vanderbilt 69-52 thanks to 22 points and 6 assists from Richardson. The second game of our road trip went the same way, with Sophomore Gordon Lockhart giving us 16 points and 4 rebounds in just 12 minutes of play as we rolled to a 20 point win and moved up to #10 in the country. Wins over Furman, Hofstra and Idaho followed moving us up to #8 with an 8-1 record. We beat Southern Miss by 20 and were expected to reach the top 5 before we hit a bump. Delaware State was 2-7 when we arrived at their gym and 3-7 when we left. We didn't play poorly as much as they played spectacularly, shooting 55% from the floor and out-rebounding us by 6. It was an ugly loss and one we just needed to forget. Despite it, we only dropped to #10 when many thought we would be lucky to stay in the top 15. We strung together three more wins before back-to-back losses at Kentucky and Illinois sent us into conference play ranked #14 with a record of 10-4. Our first conference game was at Princeton who had been spectacular themselves and were 10-3 and ranked 16 in the nation. Brett Richardson scored 23 points and we shot 47% from three to roll to a 73-65 win. Ugly losses to Dartmouth, Yale and Brown (the three worst in the conference) quickly ruined our streak. After the first half of conference play we were 14-7 (4-3) and needed to win badly. And win we did. We played #23 Princeton and were down 10 at halftime before opening the second half with a stunning 26-0 run that we never looked back from en route to a massive 12 point win. From there on we destroyed our Ivy League opponents and got a crucial non-conference win at Illinois State (NCAA At Large Team) to finish as conference champs and ranked #21 nationally with a record of 23-7. It all went down in flames as a #6 seed in the NCAA tournament. New Mexico scored 45 first half points and dominated us inside en route to a 74-56 win that ended our season at 23-8.

Team Honors:
Ivy League Coach of the Year: James Price
All Ivy League First Team: OJ Gooden
All Ivy League Second Team: Brett Richardson

Team Leaders:
PPG: Brett Richardson 12.3
RPG: OJ Gooden 5.5
APG: Brett Richardson 2.9
SPG: Arthur Crawford 1.5
BPG: OJ Gooden 0.6
FG%: Brett Richardson 51.7%
FT%: Brad Gipson 89.6%
3PT%: Brad Gipson 51%
CoachAndy

Postby CoachAndy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Durham, NH- University of New Hampshire Men's Basketball Head Coach Kenyon Caspers announced the hiring of Hank Schrader as Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator on Friday. Schrader, 28, comes to Durham following a highly successful stint as an assistant coach at the University of Pennsylvania. During his two years in Philadelphia, Schrader helped turn the Quakers into one of the nation's most potent teams. The Quakers averaged more than 70 points per game both seasons and were among the best shooting teams in the nation both years en route to compiling a 43-18 record and capturing an Ivy League Title. Rising senior Brett Richardson was among the best shooters in the country under Schrader's tutelage, while the offense had three players average more than 10 points per game both seasons. Prior to his time at Penn, Schrader spent three years on staff at Columbia University as a Graduate Assistant and Director of Basketball Operations. During his stint at Columbia he worked primarily with the guards and helped the team to three consecutive 12+ win seasons. A 4 year standout at Columbia, Schrader was a 2 time All Ivy League Second Team member and led the team in scoring his senior year. A native of West Haven, Connecticut, Schrader holds both his bachelors and masters degrees from Columbia.

The Schrader File:
Hometown: West Haven, Ct
Education: Columbia University- BA Education Leadership ('10), MA Politics and Education ('12)

Experience
University of Pennsylvania- Assistant Coach
2014-15: 24-8 (11-3) 1st Ivy League, NCAA First Round
2013-14: 19-10 (10-4) 2nd Ivy League, NIT First Round
Columbia University- Director of Basketball Operations
2012-13: 12-16 (4-10) 8th Ivy League
Columbia University- Graduate Assistant Coach
2011-12: 15-15 (4-10) 6th Ivy League
2010-11: 15-13 (6-8) 5th Ivy League
CoachAndy

Postby CoachAndy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:14 pm

I didn't want to leave Penn. I was enjoying life in my $22,000 a year salary and my one bedroom apartment half a mile from campus. I was the architect of one of the nation's best offenses and loved every minute of it. The thought of leaving hadn't even entered my mind when Kenyon Caspers, the head coach at New Hampshire called me. He asked if I would be interested in visiting Durham and interviewing for the Associate Head Coach position recently vacated by the retirement of George Downs. I took a few days to think about it, I loved where I was but I new if I wanted to get anywhere now was my chance. I agreed to the interview, deciding that I could always turn the job down.

When I arrived in Durham, I was struck by the beauty of the campus and the community. I arrived early and strolled through downtown and around campus to get a feel for the place I would call home. I spoke to a few students who were super polite but I was disappointed with their enthusiasm when asked about the basketball team. Equally disappointing was the team's home court, Lundholm Gymnasium. Although modern and in excellent condition, it simply wasn't a high quality facility. The coaches took me to meet the team in the spacious and modern locker room before we headed to their offices to talk business. The first thing we discussed was the facility. Athletic Director Ron Kingman came in and presented the department's plan to move the basketball team into the Whittemore Center Arena, a state-of-the-art 6,500 seat venue on campus. It quickly became evident that the department had money and was willing to spend it to rebuild the program that hadn't boasted a winning record in over a decade. After going back and forth, I was offered a $63,000 salary as well as a $1,000 a month housing stipend and a $5,000 signing bonus. As much as I loved Penn, the offer was too good for me to turn down if I wanted to become a head coach.

Unsure of how long I would be in Durham, I decided to rent a small house. My girlfriend Pam, who I met at Columbia, agreed to move with me, having just finished medical school at Penn. I knew it was a big risk, leaving the reigning Ivy League champs who I had molded into a winning machine for a failing program that would require significant work to fix but I was ready for the challenge. Or so I thought.
CoachAndy

Postby CoachAndy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:46 pm

I had a nice summary of my 2 years at UNH all typed up and lost it so I'm just going to summarize it in a nutshell. It was hell. My first season the team was terrible. We played a softy schedule and went 10-16. I was put in charge of recruiting which is not my strength and brought in a fairly weak class of 3. After the season, head coach Kenyon Caspers was fired and I was the only staff member retained by newly named head coach Marques White. In my second year, I bashed heads with White frequently. The team posted an 11-19 record and made the America East tournament before losing to top seed UMBC by 23. These two seasons of struggles left me looking for answers. I was offered the position of second assistant at my alma mater Columbia but had no interest in going to a team that had just won 7 games. I originally decided to stay another year in Durham but when Central Connecticut State veteran head coach Jim Burns announced his retirement, I decided to throw my name in for the job. I visited the beautiful campus and fell in love with the location, just a short drive from where I grew up. I accepted the job and was thrilled to be going home to start my own journey.
CoachAndy

Postby CoachAndy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:00 pm

I was so thrilled to be returning to Connecticut that accepting the job offer was a no-brainer. My contract was 3 years for $76,000 and I was going to be able to live near where I grew up. There would be challenges in winning games at a low reputation program but the Blue Devils were coming off a season where they won 6 straight including the NEC Title to earn a spot in the First Four of the NCAA tournament where they lost. My first job was to build my coaching staff. I retained assistants Ricardo Slider and Brian Nolan from the previous staff but Associate Head Coach Rick Alexander left to take the same position at Fairfield University. I replaced him with Tim Moye, an assistant at Hartford. Tim was named an assistant and recruiting coordinator but I elected not to give him the title of Associate Head Coach. With my staff complete it was time to move forward. We had a strong junior class and a few seniors who we hoped would contribute but no true star players.

The conference predictions came out and we were picked 8th out of 10 teams. The year before we had scored 62 points per game, good for second in the conference but had the worst scoring defense at 66 points per game. Knowing that I'm not a defensive mastermind, I decided to speed up the team's style of play and just try to outscore opponents. My goals from the Athletic Director were fairly low, win 10 games and make the 8 team conference tournament. I set my standards much higher, hoping to clear .500 on the season and maybe sneak into the top half of the conference. We returned 2 time all NEC second team pick Elton Duncan, a versatile 6'10" Senior Center and Bobby Werner, a Junior Power Forward. Combined, they averaged 17.8 points and 7.6 rebounds per game and I figured if we could get 20/10 out of them we'd be in good shape.

Our opening game was at home against a fairly weak Marist program and my hopes were high. Freshman SF Maurice Daniels, Junior SG Randy Walton and Werner each scored double figures and Werner grabbed 7 boards in a 66-55 win. As impressive as our balanced scoring was, I was equally pleased with our defensive effort. We played a much better Furman team in game two. Randy Walton continued to dominate with 21 points and 7 rebounds while Bobby Werner contributed 11 points 3 rebounds and 3 blocks in a massive 76-68 win. Game three was on the road as we traveled west to play Cal Poly. The Mustangs dominated us 28-12 inside and we went just 6-28 from deep to succumb to an ugly 67-55 loss. Back home against Louisiana-Monroe, Junior Forward Steve Skipworth scored 11 big ones off the bench and powered us to a 64-57 win. We followed that with a win against George Mason and a tough 2 point loss at Quinnipiac when we blew a 9 point lead in the final 1:30. We won at Oral Roberts by 10 and against NCAA tournament team Hampton by 4 to push our record to 6-2 going into our final non-conference matchup at Northeastern. Again we blew a big lead, giving them the last 8 of the game including a buzzer beating three to force OT. In OT we built a 5 point lead only to watch them hit back to back threes and hold on for the wild 82-81 win. Going into our 18 game conference slate at 6-3 I was pleased. If we went .500 which I knew we could, we would finish an impressive 15-12 which I would gladly take.

We opened conference play against Wagner. The Seahawks were picked 10th and came in with a record of 2-7. We shot the ball terribly and were laughed out of our own gym, 68-61. Despite 14 and 7 from Elton Duncan, we couldn't overcome the 28 team fouls we committed and they took advantage of 37 free throws, making 33. We traveled to LIU next, the team picked 6th in the conference with a 5-5 record. 8 points and 9 rebounds from Elton plus 11 points 5 rebounds and 5 assists from Junior PG Wil Long led us to a massive 10 point win. We followed that with a big win over struggling St. Francis (PA) before playing our worst game of the season, an 80-55 loss to a less than spectacular Bryant team. We rebounded to win 3 straight before losing at conference powerhouse Sacred Heart 57-36. We played so poorly that I didn't even look at the stats after that one. Fortunately, we caught fire and won 5 straight including the rematch with Bryant 77-66. We were 16-6 and rolling through conference play with a record of 10-3. Then our offense went AWOL again and we lost to St. Francis (NY) by 19, 71-52. A massive 9 point win at Robert Morris followed before we dropped our last three against the three teams picked to finish in the top 3 in the conference, Mt. St. Mary, Sacred Heart and Fairleigh Dickinson. FDU was the tough loss, they were fighting at the bottom of the league for the last playoff spot and crushed us 68-47. We finished the regular season 17-10 (11-7) but managed to steal second place in the conference tournament thanks to the large number of teams who went .500 in conference play.

We opened the tournament at home against FDU and I was nervous. Fortunately, Randy Walton gave us 20 points and we shot 57% from deep to win 69-60 and advance to the conference semifinals. In the semis we met St Francis (NY), a team we had beaten by 21 and lost to by 19. The Terriers were the 3 seed and I was nervous. They denied Randy all game and he didn't score on 4 field goal attempts which is bad news. The good news was Elton and Bobby combined to give us 29 points 9 rebounds and 8 assists to power us to a 58-47 win and the conference final. LIU upset #1 Sacred Heart in overtime to earn their ticket and the Blackbirds were on fire. Fortunately, we won the rebound battle 31-18, including 14 offensive boards, and forced 20 turnovers. 11 players scored for us and 6 of them scored 6 or more points. Maurice Daniels led the way with 14 while Elton Duncan gave us 8 points and 9 rebounds. I was thrilled to be heading to the NCAA tournament in my first year even though I knew we'd get a tough matchup.

Our NCAA game was against #5 Oregon, a 2 seed and we traveled to Austin to get murdered. They walked all over us, shooting 36 free throws and making 32. Although guards Luke Harris and DJ Brey gave us 9 points each off the bench, no one reached double digits for us. We lost the rebounding battle 32-15 and committed 16 turnovers and 26 fouls while shooting just 35% from the floor in a brutal 84-49 loss that ended our season at 20-11.

Team Honors:
All NEC First Team: Elton Duncan
NEC Freshman of the Year: Maurice Daniels
All NEC Second Team: Maurice Daniels
NEC Coach of the Year: Hank Schrader

Team Leaders:
PPG: Maurice Daniels 11.2
RPG: Elton Duncan 4.3
APG; Wil Long 2.4
SPG: Randy Walton 2.0
BPG: Elton Duncan 0.5
FG%: Steve Skipworth 53% (Min 100 Attempts)
FT%: Elton Duncan 89% (Min 60 Attempts)
3PT%: Steve Skipworth 46% (Min 40 Attempts)

Team Awards:
Coaches Award: Steve Skipworth JR F
MVP: Elton Duncan SR C
Defensive POTY: Randy Walton JR G
Most Improved: Steve Skipworth JR F
CoachAndy

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports