Grambling Rose

Re: Grambling Rose

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:27 pm

December 11

77-69 over Syracuse, there. 23, 6, 4, 2 for Ward, 12 for Trin, 11, 2, 5 for Olin, 11, 6, 2 for Whit.

74-60 over Princeton in the first round of the Shootout. 16, 3 for Trin, 13, 6 for Ward, 5 others had 8 points each. We played really well in the first half, built the lead to 13 at the end; then we just played them even in the second, which was easily good enough.

#7 seed Vanderbilt, 6-2, upset #13 ranked New Mexico in the first round so we play them next. #8 seed George Washington upset #1 seed Duke in the first round.

80-66. 16,6 for Hamm. Ward, Trin, and Grey all played well. We opened up a 19 point lead early in the 2nd half.

It’s #8 seed George Washington, 6-1, for the title.

61-44, the tourney title, and we’re ranked #22, RPI #17. 14, 15 for Hamm, 16, 8, 3 for Ward, good play all around, especially defensively. Ever since I chewed these guys out they have been playing terrific ball. 7 wins in a row. We’re 9-1, with our only loss being by 2, to the #17 team in the country.

December 18

76-66 at Santa Clara. We led all the way but we were a bit sluggish. 19, 4 for Hamm, 13, 7, 2 for Ward, 15, 4, 2 for Trin. 11 TOs.

Doug Trin hurt his shoulder. He’s day to day.

64-61 over now 7-2 Wisconsin here. 16, 5 for Hamm, 10, 8 for Ward. Good team effort in s very competitive game against a good team. Bench play, especially at guard from Whit and Lily, made the difference.

#15, RPI #8.

We end preconference play against 7-2 Ohio ST, there, ranked for most of the season, but a loss dropped them out of the top 25 just this past week. Then 10 days off.

Wallace is still out. The docs say he isn’t healing very quickly.

Ruth Ann still loves working with, and being close to, Dr. King.

December 25

75-70 in OT. We went on a 12-3 run in the last 90 seconds of regulation then started the OT 7-0. 18, 12 for Ward, 9, 13 for Hamm, 13 each for Grey and Trin. It was a sloppy game; we had 20 TOs, they had 24. We had a +16 edge in RBs, and we went to the line 11 more times. This team seems to find a way to win.

#14, RPI #3. We end preseason play 12-1, way better than I would have expected. +9.7 PPG, +6.0 RBPG, -0.2 TOPG- 13.4. We’d like to lessen that.

We have a one game we to start conference play. We’re at 6-5 Oregon ST.

The entire family was here for dinner today. That was great. The bad news is it is because Wallace did not accompany the team to Boston because he will have ankle surgery in two days. That ankle has plagued him since his sophomore year in college. This latest injury simply isn’t healing. The docs feel the surgery will help. He is likely out until at least March 1, possibly for the season. He and Enna fly out early in the morning.

Wallace and Enna gave all of us a wonderful present. Enna is expecting a baby, some time in May.

Ruth Ann is here for the week. She is doing a shoot for Chanel here in San Francisco, and she will stay with us.

Loretta and Mark, of course, live in the area, so we see them frequently, but it is wonderful to have them here as well.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:30 pm

January 1, 1967

56-71 at Oregon ST. Their backcourt had 46; ours had 16. 13, 8, 2 for Ward, 13, 5, 2, 2 for Hamm. 11 TOs. We never found any answers for their outside game.

This is not a good sign of things to come in the conference. We played 6 good teams in preconference games and beat 5 of them. I am hoping that this was just a bad night.

We play two ranked teams next week, #13 Stanford, 12-2, and #24 Oregon, 8-4. Thankfully both games are at home.

Wallace’s surgery went well. Doctors are hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

I have not spoken of my burned hand and arm for a long time. Truthfully there is little to tell. There have been no further infections, and there has been no further progress. I have use of the hand, but not completely. The last two fingers remain without feeling, and I cannot make a complete fist. Still, all in all, I’ll take it.

As of January 1 there are 389,000 U. S. troops in Vietnam. In the year that ended yesterday, 6,000 of them were killed, and 30,000 injured. The protests grow larger and more frequent.

January 8

58-55 over #12 Stanford. 15, 3 for Trin, 12, 7, 4 for Hamm, 12, 4 for Ward. They went to the line 13 more times, they had 5 fewer TOs, they had 6 more RBs, but we won. We did it with defense, holding them to 28.1%. No team ever led by more than 5 all night, which is amazing. We were down 2 with 21 seconds left when Ward made a layup, was fouled on the shot and converted to give us a one point lead. Then we stopped them, they fouled us, and Hamm made both to give us the final margin of 3.

80-63 over #24 Oregon. 23, 14 for Ward, 19 for Henk, 15, 7, 2 for Whit, 10, 11 for Hamm. +19 RBs.

At Arizona ST, then here with Colorado.

We are looking for a big guy to fill the scholarship we assume will be available when SAT scores come out. We have had very little luck though.

January 15

47-63 at Arizona ST. 25 turnovers. Case closed.

68-56 over Colorado here. 18, 8 for Ward, 5 in double figures. 7 TOs.

#20 Washington is here, then we go to middle of the pack Utah.

Grandma has moved in with Wallace and Enna and will stay there until after the baby is born.

“Wallace is laid up and Enna is pregnant. They need me.”

January 22

61-48 over #20 Washington here. Great defense held them to 31.9%. 5 of our players had between 8 and 13 points.

49-63 at Utah. We have been horrible on the road in conference, 0-3, and all three have been awful performances. 15, 9 for Ward, 13, 3 for Trin, 8, 3, 5, 2 for
Olin, and no one else did a thing.

This week it’s USC here and UCLA there.

We miss grandma. Our housekeeper now doubles as cook (we increased her pay), and she’s good, but she isn’t grandma.

January 29

67-57 over USC. 21, 10, 2, 2 for Ward. 12 each for Henk and Grey. 11 TOs.

80-76 at UCLA. Finally a road win! 16, 8 for Ward, 15 for Olin, and great bench play- 14, 6, 3 for Trin, 15 for Whit. +9 RBs.

Mo Olin hurt his foot. He will be at less than full strength for our next game but should be able to play.

At #18 Arizona, then here with Washington ST.

As expected the PG did not hit our SAT score. We’re still looking for a big.

We’re 18-4, 6-3. #17, RPI #7.

Wallace is healing slowly. Enna has been sick. So having grandma there has been a great help to them.

Ruth Ann continues to tell us she loves her life. We ask about relationships but she says she is too busy for that.

Loretta and Mark are doing very well. Loretta is now doing some studio music in L. A. She has gotten to be well known and many artists want her keyboard on their records. Money is no longer an issue for them.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:08 am

February 5

50-68 at #18 Arizona. 17-41 at the half. 20, 10 for Ward. No one else had more than 6.

53-46 over Washington ST here. We won this with defense. No one had impressive offensive stats. 7 TOs.

We’re tied for 3rd, but 3 of our last 5 are on the road, 2 of the 3 against ranked teams.

This week it’s Oregon ST here; they beat us by 15 there. Then we go to #19 Stanford, who we beat here.

Grandma says Enna is having a difficult pregnancy. Her doc says the baby is fine and there are no real problems, Enna is just having it rough.

Wallace is healing, but still slowly.

February 12

66-71 to Oregon ST here. This one hurts. We really needed this one. I got the second technical foul of my life. The officials called 27 fouls on us (including the T) and 15 on them. Olin fouled out in 11 minutes, Grey was able to play only 21 due to fouls, and Ward was in foul trouble all night long.

68-77 at #19 Stanford. 16, 2, 4 for Grey, 14, 5 for Olin, but 18 TOs.

This week we’re at #14 Oregon, then we host Arizona ST.

February 19

62-85 at Oregon. -12 TOs, poor shooting, not much defense.

We really need to win our last 2.

71-56 over Arizona ST here. We led all the way, by as many as 24. I played 10, players and all of then scored. +22RBs.

One to play and we could finish as high as 4th, as low as 8th.

We finish at last place Colorado. We beat them by 12 at our place.

February 26

61-48 at Colorado.

Reserve guard Alex Lily sprained an ankle. He’ll miss about a week.

We finish in a 2 way tie for 4th. We’ll be the #5 seed in the conference tournament.

+4.2 PPG, +5.2 RBPG, -1.1 TOPG. In looking over the stats we decide to give more time to Brad Whit, especially more time at PG.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:05 am

March 5

We play #12 seed Colorado in the play in round.

March 10

64-52 over Colorado. 21, 8, 2 for Ward, 10, 3 for Henk, 9 each for Olin and Whit. +8 TOs.

Starting PF Den Hamm, a vital player for us, went down with a back injury. He is out for about two weeks, which means possibly for the rest of the season. Doug
Trin will start, but we have no effective backup at 3, 4, and 5.

We play #4 seed Utah, 14-13, 9-7 next. They beat us by 14 there.

March 11

75-78. We played hard but came up just a little short. 16, 8, 5, 3 for Ward, 13, 8 for Trin, 14 for Whit. Hand was not effective as our #1 big off the bench.

Ray Hand, who we put in as back up big man with Hamm’s injury, badly sprained a toe. He’s out for at least 10 days.

March 12

Not in the East.

Not in the Midwest.

#5 South. We will play the winner of a play in game.

Wallace is now cleared to play. He will not start. He will need to be eased into the lineup. Enna has gotten past most of the problems that plagued her. She is due in about two months.

March 15

We play 20-12 Toledo.

March 17

64-63 over Toledo. 18, 8 for Trin, 17, 6, 3 for Henk, 13, 5 for Ward. We fought hard for this one, coming from down 15. We won it on an 8 footer from Doug Trin.

We play #4 seed, #14 ranked Oregon. We split with them during the regular season. Our injured guys are still out.

March 19

46-53. The officials were not kind. We took 14 free throws, they took 28, and that was the difference. Still, we worked hard. We did not shoot well, and we had 19 TOs.

Wallace reinjured his ankle. He is out for the season.

“I’m finished, dad. I think I have a job teaching biology and coaching the basketball team at a high school in Oakland. They are a very highly regarded basketball school. I’ll know in a few days.”

March 26

The Lakers lost their quarter final series to the Warriors and Wallace announced his retirement. He got the high school job.

April 4

I went to the Final Four again this year. #6 Kentucky beat unranked #7 seed Indiana for the title.

Awards: Wes Ward made first team. Den Hamm made 2nd. I was named conference coach of the year.

April 9

Lots of coaching offers but we’re not interested.

April 15

Dr. King led more than 100,000 in a demonstration against the war in Vietnam at the U. N. in New York City.

William Westmoreland, Commander in Chief of U. S. forces in Vietnam privately states that he sees no end to the war in sight.

April 23

We ask for money. We get $11,000.

We finished the season at 23-10, ranked #24. We did much better than expected. Overall I am now 222-93, .705, off-48, Def-78, Recruit-85, Scout-75, Player Dev-60, Reputation 43. I have been named conference coach of the year 6 times in 10 seasons.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:46 am

May 1

We buy the Gold national.

May 11

Marcus Wallace Rose is born. Mother and son are doing fine. I am thrilled that the baby was named after me.

May 15

Defense Secretary Robert McNamara expresses grave doubt about the war to LBJ.

June 5

We look at transfers. We need bigs.

June 9

We go after 2 bigs.

June 12

We get both. Dave Kran, C, #387, from Purdue, and Cory Wise, PF, #782, from Dayton.

The Supreme Court strikes down a law forbidding interracial marriage.

Marcus is doing well, growing already. Since Wallace and Enna have moved to the area we see them regularly. Grandma will stay with them for at least another month. Everyone except Ruth Ann is now in the Bay area.

June 26

We have only 2 scholarships. We want bigs. We’re looking at 8 bigs.

July 7

Grandma is back home. It is great to have her here. She says Enna is fine, perfectly able to care for the baby and manage the house. Enna is looking for work.

“Maybe I should just move in over there; take care of the baby when they’re both at work.”

July 31

“Race riots” this month in Detroit, New York, Buffalo, Newark, and various other cities.

August 21

We offer to 2 bigs.

Enna got a job in admissions here at Cal Berkeley.

Wallace and Enna have put a deposit on a house about 10 miles north of ours. The plan is to leave little Marcus with grandma, here, when they are both at work. Callie and I love this solution!

September 1

Thurgood Marshall becomes the first African American member of the Supreme Court.

September 21

We get a commitment from PF Stan Book, PF, #237.

We are invited to the preseason NIT, which is a large feather in our cap. We’re up against #4 Georgia Tech, which is not so great! We have put together a strong schedule.

Enna has begun work. The baby gets here at about 7:45 in the morning, and is here until 5:30 or 6:00 most days. Enna often has dinner with us. Wallace’s schedule, like mine, is very erratic but he eats here at times as well. They are in their new home.

Ruth Ann says she is working as much on war protests as she is on civil rights issues.

October 2

We are thrilled to announce that we have a commitment from Bill Wirt, C, #30. He is one of the 2 or 3 best big men in the draft. It did not hurt us that he lives in San Francisco!

He is an outstanding student. If our other recruit, Stan Book, hits our SAT score we are all set with recruiting. Book is a good student, but he could go either way on the SAT. Today is the first day of practice. We seem to have lots of good guards but we’re thin up front. This is the opposite of what we’ve had here the past two years.

We’re picked to finish 7th in conference, We hope to do better.

October 21

Thousands march on Washington to protest the war.

November 6

We are still unresolved at guard, but here’s the lineup: junior juco Jed Lane will get the most minutes at guard. Three others, soph Brad Whit, frosh Tom Will, and soph Alex Lily will share the rest of the time about equally until someone emerges. Soph Den Hamm returns to start at center. Soph Tony Stow starts at PF. Frosh Joe More backs the inside players. Junior Jake Henk starts at SF, backed by senior Ray Hand. So for now we have a nine man rotation.

November 13

We open against #4 Georgia Tech in the NIT. They are the #2 seed, we are #15.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:03 am

November 20

79-86. in OT. We came from down 24 to tie it at the end of regulation. Then in OT we ran out of steam. We played very well against an excellent team. 21 for

Jed Lane, 16 and 16 for Den Hamm, 17, 3, 3 for Jake Henk, 12, 10 for Tony Snow. +20 RBs, but -10 TOs (15). Our outside defense could have been better.

One of our recruits did not sign. Fortunately #29 did.

Loretta is pregnant. This is not a shock. She and Mark have been finding every excuse to come over to see little Marcus.

Ruth Ann’s work takes her all over the country and all over the world. She has been here twice since Marcus was born.

November 27

72-59 at Wyoming. 27, 7, 2 for Jed Lane. 11, 11 for Tony Stow. +10 RBs. Lane has looked really good in our first two games. None of the other three guards has done much.

59-55 over Minnesota here. 16, 8, 2 for Hamm, 12, 5 for Henk. Lane had only 2 points, but 8 RBs, 5 assists, 3 steals. 40 RBs but 22 TOs.

Grandma, at 81, took over the cooking again as soon as she returned home. She seems to be fine with doing that as well as watching the baby five days a week.
Of course Juanita, our housekeeper, is a help. She has five grown children and several grandchildren of her own and she loves little Marcus. Her husband Marcelo does the outside work for us but he sneaks in to play with the baby when he can. There are few things in the universe more magnetic than a baby!

December 4

77-63 over Texas A & M here. 20, 4, 2, 2 for Henk, 21 for Lane, 16, 4, 3, 3 for Hamm. 9 TOs.

58-69 at #19 Gonzaga. 17 for Henk, 11, 11, 2 for Hamm, 14, 4, 3, 2 for Lane. We need to play better outside defense, and we need more form our guards. Lane is doing a great job but no one else is doing much.

“Dad, it’s wonderful. I feel like every day I am helping to make the world a better place. Dr. King is the greatest person in the world. He is always optimistic, always has a plan, always believes that we are making progress.”

President Johnson fired defense secretary McNamara last week. McNamara had been openly critical of the war.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:49 am

December 11

67-69 in OT at 5-2 San Diego. Tough loss. They won it on a half court shot at the buzzer. 12, 8, 2 for Hamm, 14, 4 for Henk, 9, 8, 6 for Lane.

82-53 over Iowa here. 24, 3 for Henk, 12, 10, 2 for Stow, 14, 6, 5 for Lane.

This was the first of 4 straight home games.

December 18

77-57 over New Mexico ST here. 33, 10 for Hamm, 28, 4, 3, 2 for Henk. 10 TOs.

76-61 over #24 Wisconsin here. 16, 4, 9, 4 for Lane, 16, 5, 4 for Hamm, 18, 3 for Henk.

Alex Lily is getting more playing time at guard.

Baby Marcus has a cold. It isn’t serious but if you looked in it would seem like the end of the world he is getting so much attention. Grandma is calm, treating the cold simply and effectively, but everyone else is in a near panic.

December 25

78-52 over a good Nevada team here. 17, 9, 2 for Stow, and good play by all 5 starters, as well as Joe More from the bench. +11 RBs.

60-79 at New Mexico. 14 each for Henk and Lane, 13 for Stow. 19 TOs.

We end pre-conference play at 7-4. +7.6 PPG, +6.5 RBPG, -0.6 TOPG.

We are a young team. I’m not sure how well we’ll do in our tough conference.

Alex Lily is the second starter at guard, at least for now.

Everyone was home for the holiday. Ruth Ann is here for the week, and the others will be in and out. The baby is recovered from his cold. He is now 7 ½ months old.

Callie has loved her first semester here at Berkeley. She works hard teaching and doing research. She is writing an article for one of the journals. It is based upon some research she is doing based upon the work she did for her thesis.

“There are lots of connections to the work I did. I should be able to do related research projects for the rest of my career, which should take care of my publishing requirements. It is very interesting work.”

She often works as many hours a week as I do- too many.

Wallace is enjoying coaching. He calls me often asking for advice. He will be a very good coach once he learns a bit more about the profession. He knows the game, and has always been interested in the little intricacies, and he is good with people. But it is his first year so there is a great deal to learn. I am honored to have him turn to me.

Enna likes her new job in admissions. It is a step above what she was doing in L. A. so the pay is better. She and Wallace are on solid economic footing since he saved so much of his NBA earnings.

Despite her pregnancy Loretta continues to do gigs with top flight singers and groups, as well as recording work down in L. A. She says she feels fine. Unlike Enna, at least so far, her pregnancy is going very smoothly.

12/31

There are now 485,000 U. S. troops in Vietnam. Protests against the war are widespread around the country and the world, and the war continues to take up most of Ruth Ann’s work time.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:44 pm

January 1, 1968

70-62 over a mediocre Oregon ST team here. We fell behind by 11, and were sleep walking throughout the first half. I raised the roof at halftime and made a couple of changes. It worked and we quickly took control. 14, 8, 2 for Hamm, 12, 8, 5 for Henk, 15 for Lily, 9, 5, 3, 3 for Lane. +8 RBs.

We live in interesting, but very volatile times. The civil rights movement and anti-war movement are generating a great deal of protest, and just generalized rebellious behavior. Women’s rights is also becoming an issue, as it should. The war on poverty is also long overdue. The popularity of marijuana may also be a contributing factor. While I certainly do not support its use, it doesn’t seem to me that it is more harmful than alcohol. The other drugs are a far different matter, however.

It will be interesting to see what the new year brings.

The new WEEK may well bring trouble for us. We are at #13 Stanford, 11-3, then at 7-5 Oregon.

January 8

59-74 at #13 Stanford. 20 TOs. 15, 13, 3, 2 for Stow. We aren’t getting enough from our guards, as I keep saying. Only Jed Lane is doing anything
meaningful. Admittedly we’re young, probably a year away, but I’d like to do a little better than we’re doing this season.

60-55 at Oregon. A great road win! 16, 7 for Henk, 11, 8 for Stow, 7, 11 for Hamm, 9, 2, 4 for Lily, 8 for Hand. 41 RBs, 12 TOs, and maybe most importantly, we played good defense.

Joe More, our first big off the bench, broke his elbow. He’s out until March.

13-2 Arizona ST comes here, then we go to 4-10 Colorado.

We’re 9-5, 2-1, RPI #19.

Wallace has his boys at 8-4. They are second in a very tough league.

Loretta had the opportunity to play a gig with Sinatra again.

“Dad, I’ve played with most of the biggest names now. There is no one like him, no one even close. He knows what he wants and knows how to get it.

He can hold the audience in the palm of his hand. It’s actually a thrill to play with him. And all of the other musicians he works with are the best.”

Ruth Ann was at a demonstration that became a little frightening. Fortunately, Dr. Ralph Abernathy, who was leading the demonstration in Dr. King’s absence, was able to restore calm. She says that for a while it could have gone either way.

Grandma seems to be thriving. She loves taking care of Marcus, and she seems to have no trouble doing that while preparing dinner for the family, He is crawling now so she can’t ever really take her eye off of him. Juanita watches him while grandma takes her after lunch nap; she sleeps for about a half hour every afternoon.

January 15

65-53 over a very good Arizona ST team here. 17, 5, 2 for Henk, 13 for sub guard Tom Will, 8, 9 for Stow. We never trailed after the first few minutes.

Will has back spasms and is out for about a week. The bench is getting shorter.

87-65 at Colorado. 19, 11 for Stow, 17, 5, 2 for Henk, 15, 6, 4 for Hamm, 13, 3, 5 for Lane. +14 RBs.

We’re in a 3 way tie for first but the difficult part of the schedule lies ahead. 11-5, 4-1.

At 13-6, 1-4 Washington. They cleaned up during the early season but have done very badly in conference play so far. Then we host 9-8, 3-2 Utah.

January 22

71-80 at Washington. All 5 starters in double figures. Poor outside defense and +6 TOs did us in.

74-59 over Utah here. 14, 8 for Hamm, 3 others in doubles. 7 TOs.

We decide on a major lineup change. Jake Henk is a guard who has been starting at SF for two seasons. We are moving him to guard, and starting Ray Hand at SF.

At 12-7 USC, here with 11-7, 5-2 UCLA.

January 29

58-65 at USC. They got out to an early 16 point lead and we never quite caught up. 14 for Henk at his new position, 9, 5, 2 for Hand, at his.

60-56 over UCLA here. It was close all the way. It was tied with 19 seconds left. Hamm scored on a layup, they missed, fouled Lane, and he hit both. 18, 3 for Hand, 16, 14, 5, 3 for Hamm. 47 RBs, 12 TOs.

We are in a 2 way tie for 2nd, 1 back of Oregon, but 7 to play.

As expected, that recruit did not hit our score. We offer to Arnu Obre, a PF from Spain, #159.

3 of our last 7 are against ranked teams, but all 3 are at home. This week we host #13 Arizona, 15-7, 5-4, then travel to 10-10, 3-6 Washington ST.

January 31

The Vietcong launch the Tet offensive. In time there will be massive losses to the North Vietnamese, and heavy losses to the U. S. forces. Many feel this was the turning point in American perception of the war, and from this point on support lessened continuously.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:23 pm

February 5

77-88 to #13 Arizona here. We took an early lead but they turned it around and were up by 13 at the half. They extended it to 23 in the second. We came back, but not enough. Their PG had 36. Henk had 23, 5, 3, 2 and Lane 14. Hamm had 14, 11, 4, 3. -9 RBs. They were simply better.

65-72 at Washington ST. Truly awful defense. For the second game in a row we allowed a team to shoot more than 50%. It was 56.8% tonight. There’s little chance of winning when that happens. 20, 5, 2, 2 for Henk, 12, 5, 3, 2 for Hand.

We need to turn things around. We have lost 2 straight, 3 of 4, 4 of 6. Still, we’re tied for 4th, 1 back of 2nd (but 1 ahead of 7-9).

At Oregon ST, 9-13, 4-7, then home with #18 Stanford, 16-8, 5-6.

Loretta’s pregnancy has been seamless. She says she has had no problems at all and that she feels fine. She is due in June.
Ruth Ann says she is through with modeling.

“My contract ends soon. I won’t renew it. The travel has been wonderful, and they always treated me well, but times are changing, and I don’t think I want to be defined by beauty and glamour. All of that is false. I want to be defined by what I’m doing to make this a better world. I’m grateful though.

Aside from all the places I’ve seen, I’ve managed to save a tremendous amount of money. I can devote the rest of my life to working for the good of the world, without worrying about making money.”

“Still no plans to settle down?”

“I have time, dad. I’m still only 23. But no, no boyfriend; and I’m fine with that. Most of the ones I’ve dated couldn’t see past the surface.”

Wallace’s boys head for the conference tournament at 15-5, still second in what is generally thought to be the strongest league in the state.

February 12

67-61 at Oregon ST. We led most of the way. 15, 3 for Hand, 12, 5 for Stow, 9, 8, 2, 2 for Hamm. Good bench play. We held them to 35.6% shooting.

78-63 over #19 Stanford, here. We held them to 33.9%. That’s 2 good defensive games in a row. 23, 6, 9, 2 for lane, 18 for Henk, 17, 4 for Hand.

We are now 15-9, 8-5, tied for 3rd in conference. RPI #23.

1st place, #17 Oregon, 17-7, 11-2, is here. Then we go to 17-8, 7-6 Arizona ST.

Wallace’s team lost by 4 in the league tourney final. They are seeded #3 in the state tournament, large schools division.

February 19

73-67 over #17 Oregon. 16, 4, 3 for Henk. 5 in double figures and Lane had 9, 5, 5. We held them to 36.5 %.

We are 3-4 against ranked teams.

58-77 at Arizona ST. 21 TOs (-9), -54 RBs, we shot 36.6%.

16-10, 9-6 with one to play, at home against the worst team in the conference, 7-19, 3-12 Colorado.

We cannot finish lower than 5th but it would be nice to end up 4th.

Baby Marcus is now standing, and walks while holding onto things. He has not yet taken his first unaided steps.

Wallace’s team won their first 2 tournament games. They are in the round of 8 in the state tournament.

February 26

86-72. 24, 3 for Hand, 20 for Henk, all 5 in double figures. 8 TOs.

We end up tied for 3rd, but with the #4 seed.

Now some much needed rest. The tournament does not begin until March 10 for us. More may be ready to return by then, but Jaq West has been playing very well. Not sure what we’ll do.

Wallace’s team won in the round of 8, but lost by one point in the state semifinals. He had a great first season, 20-7, and only two of his players, one starter, are graduating.

February 28

General Westmoreland requests 206,000 more troops for Vietnam.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:20 pm

March 9

We play Arizona ST, 20-9, 9-7, in the quarter finals. We beat them by 12, then lost by 19. This will not be an easy game for us.

March 10

63-67. Outside defense and foul trouble in the backcourt were the biggest problems. Also, our strength on offense is inside and they did an excellent job of not letting the ball get into our big men.

We’re 17-11 heading for selection day. A good showing in the conference tournament could have landed us as high as a 4 seed. Hard to say but I’m guessing we’ll be about a 6 now.

March 12

#2 seed Arizona beat #1 seed Oregon for the title.

Not in the East.

Not in the Midwest.

#8 in the South. I thought we would be higher. We face #9 seed Kansas ST, 16-12.

March 17

62-61 over Kansas ST. It was close for a long time. Then with about 5 ½ minutes left we went on an 11-2 run to take an 11 point lead. They cut into it for the rest of the game but the final score was as close as they came. 12, 9 for Hamm, 15, 4 for Henk. 10 TOs for Lane, which almost did us in.

Our reward will be to face #1 seed, #1 in the country Kansas, 33-1, #1 RPI.

March 19

60-77 to #1 Kansas. This is a very good team. We did all we could and I thought we played well, 39 RBs, 12 TOs, but we were overmatched.

Word is coming out of Vietnam of a massacre in the village of My Lai. Details are sparse but it appears that American troops slaughtered hundreds of unarmed women, children, and old men. The protests here have begun already.

March 25

LBJ’s military advisors strongly urge him to find a way to end the war. Protests are at epidemic proportions in the U. S. and around the world.

March 26

Arnu Obre, the PF from Spain, signs.

March 31

Washington won the NIT tournament.

President Johnson announces that he will not seek re-election.

April 3

The Paris Peace talks with the Vietcong begin.

April 4

I came to the Final Four, as I always do.

#1 Kansas beat #2 Georgia Tech, 69-61 for the title.

Awards: Den Hamm makes the 1st team. Jake Henk makes 2nd team. Both will be back.

April 4

As I flew home from the Final Four the pilot came on with an announcement.

“Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great sorrow that I announce that the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. has been shot and killed this evening in Memphis, Tennessee.”

I immediately pushed the button. When the stewardess came to me I explained that my daughter was Dr. King’s personal assistant, and that she always travelled with him. I asked if it would be possible to find out if others were hurt or killed.

She immediately went into the flight cabin and spoke with the pilot. She came back and said that he was on the radio seeing if he could find out about possible other casualties.

It was more than an hour before I received the word that no one other than Dr. King had been shot.

When we landed I called home immediately.

“Ruth Ann is all right. She called. But she’s a mess, Marcus.”

“I was thinking I would try to book a flight to Memphis, to be with her.”

“Oh yes, that’s a wonderful idea. She gave me a number where she can be reached.”

I called, eventually got to speak with her. She was in tears, barely able to communicate. She said that she really would like me to fly there.

I was able to book a flight for early morning, which it already was. I waited at the airport for about 3 ½ hours until the flight left.

I arrived in Memphis late in the afternoon. I stayed with Ruth Ann and the SCLC leaders through the funeral, and then took Ruth Ann back home with me. She was absolutely devastated and needed some time.

On the second day I was there she admitted to me that she and Dr. King had been lovers, which came as no surprise. Ruth Ann had no delusions. She knew he would never divorce Coretta. She didn’t care. The relationship was enough for her.

“I had more time with him, alone and in public, than she did.”

Ruth Ann will stay with us for as long as she needs to.

April 11

This is not the time to consider a new coaching job. We politely decline all calls.

LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act of 1968. It was passed immediately after Dr. King’s death.

April 14

Ruth Ann received a call from Senator Robert Kennedy asking her to join his campaign as special liaison for African American affairs. She at first declined, but Sen.
Kennedy was persistent, spoke of his close friendship with Dr. King, and convinced her that his Presidency was the best way to ensure that Dr. King’s goals would be reached.

She will fly out to join him tomorrow. He wants her to be a public presence in his campaign, and even to speak to certain groups, not only black groups, but women’s groups, anti-war groups… She is, of course, very well known through her work with Dr. King, and through her modeling for Chanel.

April 16

We have a staff vacancy. My #3 had the chance to move up with a different school and I encouraged him to take the position, which he did. I ponder asking the staff how they would feel about bringing Wallace to the team. After some late hours I decide against it. He has only one year’s experience. Hiring him would be seen as nepotism. The next time we have a vacancy he will be more experienced.

April 23

We ask for a budget increase. We do not receive it.

I think next year could be a turning point. I honestly believe that with the players we are bringing in, along with those returning- all except Ray Hand, we have an excellent shot at winning the conference, and going deep into the NCAA tournament.

We finished 18-12 this year, RPI #25. I thought that we did quite well, considering that this was definitely a building year. I am now at 240-105, .696. Off- 52, Def-84, Recruit-85, Scout-77, Player Dev- 73, Reputation-44.

Ruth Ann jumped into the Kennedy campaign 100%. In a week she has addressed a women’s rights group, a civil rights rally, and two anti-war events.

“I need to do this, dad. I believe Senator Kennedy can be the kind of leader the country really needs. He will help our people, he will end the war, he-”

“He already has my vote, Ruth Ann!”

I look forward to my twelfth season as a head coach.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports