Grambling Rose

Re: Grambling Rose

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:39 pm

May 1

We buy national Gold.

May 11

Baby Marcus is one year old. We throw a party, and everyone, including Ruth Ann, is here.

Loretta is due in about 6 weeks.

Ruth Ann says the Kennedy campaign is going great.

“We think we have McCarthy and Humphrey on the run.”

June 5

We are looking at transfers. We need guards.

The world has surely gone mad. I worked very late and arrived home after 11:00. I turned on the television to see who had won the Democratic primary here in California. After I found out that Sen. Kennedy had won it, and after he gave his speech I was just sort of half asleep, too tired to get up and turn the TV off and go to bed. I was smiling about the fact that Ruth Ann was near him as he spoke. Suddenly there was a great commotion during the coverage. In a short time

I learned that the Senator had been shot in the head backstage after giving the speech.

I cannot describe the thoughts that went through my head. After speaking with Ruth Ann, and finding that she had been less than five feet from Sen. Kennedy
when he was shot, I drove to the airport to catch a plane for Los Angeles.

During the seemingly long flight I could not stop thinking about the fact that these two assassinations had happened so close to each other in time, and that
Ruth Ann had been very close to the scene both times.

When I arrived at LAX Ruth Ann was waiting for me. Sen. Kennedy had died in the meantime.

“Just take me home, daddy.”

We immediately booked a flight back home, once again, not even leaving the airport.

As we waited in the airport, and as we flew home, Ruth Ann just wanted to be held. We didn’t speak at all.

I drove us back home, Ruth Ann went to her room, and she didn’t leave the room except to eat and to use the bathroom, until Loretta’s baby was born.

June 9

We need guards but there is a center who looks too good to pass up. We offer to him.

June 12

Center Red Pine, from Rutgers, signs.

June 22

Lenora Callie Vaughn is born. Mother and baby are doing fine. Loretta will take about six weeks off and then Lenora will stay with grandma, and, as long as she’s here, with Ruth Ann. Baby Marcus is about the only reason Ruth Ann finds to smile, and no doubt Lenore will do the same for her.

June 23

As of today Vietnam is the longest war in U. S. history.

June 26

We need guards. We’re looking at 15 guards, 1 PF, 2 Cs.

July 15

Dr. Abernathy called Ruth Ann and asked her to join the NAACP/SCLC demonstration at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago early next month. He eventually convinced her to go. She really doesn’t want to.

August 2

After speaking to the group, Ruth Ann marched past the convention hall with the NAACP and SCLC. They had a permit for their march and it was relatively peaceful. As soon as they ended their march the Chicago police violently attacked a group of peace protesters who were in the streets without a permit. The altercation was ugly, and it was televised throughout the world. The attack led to the arrest of eight demonstrators, and to a trial which gained worldwide attention.

Ruth Ann called from her hotel late that night to let us know she was safe.

“Maybe I could just go home and never leave again. I am so tired of all of this death and destruction.”

She was back with us by the following day.

Hubert Humphrey beat back a strong challenge from Eugene McCarthy and will face Richard Nixon in the November election.

August 21

We offer to 3 guards and a big guy.

Ruth Ann asks if she can stay here for a while.

“I can pay you room and board. I just want to stay here and play with the babies.”

We don’t accept her offer of payment but let her know she is welcome to stay as long as she likes. Grandma will be 82 soon, and though she remains spry she can use the help. After all that Ruth Ann has been through it is understandable that she wants to stay and simply live a quiet life for a while. She has instructed all of us to say that she is unavailable to callers.

September 18

We are invited to the JAG holiday tournament where we will play New Mexico in the first round. We have 9 ranked teams on our schedule, including those in conference but not including any we may face in the JAG.

September 25

PG Gef Dane, #204, and Ez Dole, PG, #147 commit.

Ruth Ann continues to lead a very quiet life here. She plays with the children and reads in her room.

October 2

Dion Hahn, PG, #173, commits.

We are picked to finish 5th in conference. We hope to challenge for the title.

October 16

Reg Whit, SG, #132, commits. He is a juco.

November 6

After the exhibitions I am convinced that we are a very good team. We may be a year away, but we may be ready to challenge the national leaders now. Here’s the lineup: Seniors Jed Lane and Jake Henk return to start at guard with soph Tom Will backing up. We have three big men in the lineup, junior Dave Kran, a transfer from Purdue is at SF, junior Den Hamm, a two year starter, is at PF, and frosh Bill Wile is at C. Soph Cory Wise, a transfer from Dayton, is backing them up. And behind these 7 we have Alex Lily, Joe More, and Brad Whit, all very good players.

Richard Nixon is elected President.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:34 pm

November 20

65-48 at Clemson. 21, 5, 2 for Lane, 9, 8, 2 for Hamm, 10, 6, 2 for center Bill Wile, 11, 3, 3 for Henk, 6, 6, 4 for SF Dave Kran. +11 RBs. A good start!

65-60 over Nevada here. 17, 8 for Wile, 16, 1, 6 for Lane. 10 TOs.

At #20 Michigan, 2-1, and then here with 0-1 Minnesota.

It looks like everyone will hit our score.

Ruth Ann isn’t snapping out of it very quickly but she says she wants to take a couple of courses at a local junior college during spring semester.

“Maybe I’ll go back to school in the fall. If I take two courses I can enter as a junior.”

“Will you apply to Berkeley?”

“I don’t know, dad. Despite everything I still feel like I want to be with my people. Here in the Bay area there’s no struggle. We pretty much do what we want to. Oh, I know there’s prejudice, but it’s pretty weak. Maybe Grambling or Jackson ST.”

I would much prefer she stay here but it is her decision.

November 27

60-73 at #20 Michigan. Poor defense, especially outside, did us in. They shot 55.6% and their SG and SF killed us. 15, 7 for Wile, 13, 2, 3 for Lane, 7, 9, 2 for Hamm.

57-49 over Minnesota here. 5 TOs (+11) and excellent outside defense, we held them to 34.1%. 12, 5 for Wile, 11 each for Lane and Will. On defense we switched from 50% man, 50% 2-3, to 40% man, 35% 2-3, 25% 3-2.

Bill Wile bruised his abdominals. He’s out for two weeks. Wise and More will get his minutes.

This week 2-2 Iowa ST is here, then we go to 2-2 Hawaii. I’ve never been, and the team hasn’t either. I’m taking coaches’ wives, and Ruth Ann is coming. I had to talk her into it, but I think, at least from what I have heard about the place, that Hawaii will be good for her. We’ll be there for 6 days.

December 4

63-45 over Iowa ST here. 14, 10 for Hamm, 12, 10 for Cory Wise in his first start, 12, 7, 2 for Kran, 10 for Joe More. The big guys really dominated. 40 RBs, 8 TOs.

69-68 at Hawaii. 29, 3, 4 for Lane, 16, 2, 4 for Henk, 9, 1, 5 for backup guard Tom Will. Tonight it was the guards.

We loved our time in Hawaii, the team and the coaches’ families really had a chance to relax in a beautiful setting.

#11 Louisville, 3-1, is here, then we go to 3-2 Cincinnati.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:19 pm

December 11

89-84 in OT over #13 Louisville here. We came from 17 back to tie it at the end of regulation on Jed Lane’s 16 footer. Then we took charge in OT. 24, 5, 2 for
Lane, very good games for 6 others. 12 TOs, 41 RBs, we held them to 39.1%.

Bill Wile is back.

58-67 at Cincinnati. As with our other loss this one was caused by poor defense, especially outside. 4 starters in double figures but Henk was invisible on both ends tonight. 7 TOs.

Jed Lane hurt his wrist, and Alex lily hurt his hip. Both are day to day.

At 3-5 New Mexico ST. It’s a one game week.

December 18

68-62 at New Mexico ST. I didn’t feel that we played well, but I will take the win. 15, 12, 4 for Wile, 16, 5, 2 for Lane. +9 RBs, but we let them shoot 46%.

My former school, Western Michigan is here, then we are off to the JAG tourney to face 7-2 New Mexico, #24.

Wallace’s team is 11-1.

“I loaded up on tough teams outside of league play. I think we have a shot at winning the state tournament this year.”

December 25

65-45 over Western Michigan. Good balance and good bench play. 9 TOs.

The JAG is loaded with good teams. We are the #5 seed.

49-56. It was close until the last two minutes. Their bench outscored ours 20-1. We held them to 34.6% but we shot 34.1%. All of the stats were about even except for bench play.

We end the pre-conference season at 8-3, and we flew home in time for Christmas dinner. That’s the only bright side.

We begin conference play at 7-4 Oregon ST in a one game week.

December 31

There are now 535,000 U. S. troops in Vietnam.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:14 pm

January 1, 1969

71-56 at Oregon ST. 17, 5, 3 for Hamm, 15, 8, 3, 3 for Wile. +9 RBs. A good start to conference play.

This could be quite a week. #6 Stanford, 12-3, followed by #10 Oregon, 9-3. The good news is both games are here. The bad news is that we play both of them on the road very near the end of the season when wins will be important- not that they are not important now.

There is no other way to say it other than that 1968 was a truly horrible year, for my family, but for the U. S., and for the world as well. We can only hope that
1969 will be better.

January 8

65-63 over #6 Stanford! No one ever led by more than 6, and there were 21 lead changes and 13 ties. +10 TOs (8). In the end it came down to one possession, ours. They scored to tie the game with 5 seconds left. Lane brought it down, passed to Bill Wile behind a double screen by Hamm and Kran, and Bill sank a 10 footer as the clock expired. 19, 8 for Wile, 13, 5 for Hamm, 9, 7 for Kran, good guard play, and good bench play. This was a big win!

68-78 against #10 Oregon. We faded late after being in it for 36 minutes or more. 22, 11 for Wile, 14, 10, 3 for Hamm, 12, 5, 3, 2 for Kran. +8 RBs. Yet again,

it was outside shooting that did us in; all except 10 of their points were scored outside the paint.

I suppose that I would have been happy with a split at the beginning of the week. We’re going with about 25% man, 35-40% evenly split between 2-3 and 3-2.

This week it’s #25 Arizona ST, 12-4, 1-2, there, then 8-6, 2-1 Colorado, much better than in the last few years, here.

Ruth Ann says she is enjoying school, and will definitely apply to go full time to either Grambling or Jackson ST.

Wallace still has only one loss, and that one was in OT.

January 15

72-71 at Arizona ST. Another game that came down to the last possession. This time it was theirs. They worked it into their center. He faked, turned, went up, and Den Hamm cleanly sent it right back into his face. Time ran out before they could shoot again. 22 for Henk, 14, 3, 4 for Lane. 10 TOs. Another really good win.

58-43 over Colorado. 15, 3, 5, 2 for Lane, 17, 2, 2 for Wile. 8 TOs. We led all the way.

6-10, 1-4 Washington is here, then we’re at 12-4, 4-1 Utah.

Both Wallace and Enna, and Loretta and Mark are talking about having second babies. If either or both do we will hire a nanny to help grandma.

“No babies for me. I love being Auntie Ruth Ann, but no babies. No way!”

January 22

75-51 over Washington. 21, 7, 2 for Lane, 16, 7, 2, 2 for Karn, 16, 5, 2, 2 for Wile, 8, 8, 4 2 for Hamm, 9, 8, 5 for Henk. +20 RBs.

10 to play. 6 are on the road and 4 of those are against ranked teams. Not good.

60-62 at Utah. We lost this game because we were 9-24 from the line. Inexcusable.

9-10, 3-4 USC is here. Then we go to #24 UCLA, 13-6, 4-3.

January 29

75-40 over USC. We could do no wrong tonight. 18, 5, 4 for Kran, 13, 8, 4 for Wile, but everyone played well. 7 TOs.

63-75 at UCLA. 17 TOs, and we let them shoot 50%. 18, 8 for Wile.

At #12 Arizona, 17-5, 7-2, then here with 6-14, 2-7 Washington ST.

We are still one back. Three teams tied for first, two for second.

All of our recruits hit the SAT score.

Peace talks began in Paris this week.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:30 am

February 5

61-81 at #12 Arizona. 18 TOs, poor outside defense, but they were the better team tonight.

52-44 over Washington ST. This was way harder than it should have been. 13, 5, 2, 2 for Henk, 14, 4 for Lane, 8, 7 for Wise. We got little to nothing inside, and neither did Wash. ST. 11 TOs.

This week we host 12-10, 5-6 Oregon ST, then travel to #24 Stanford, 16-9, 5-6.

We’re alone in 5th, 1 back of 3 teams, 2 up on 2 teams.

February 12

73-45 over Oregon ST. 19, 11 for Hamm, 15, 5, 7, 3 for Lane. 7 TOs, 42 RBs.

65-72 at #25 Stanford. As is usually the case when we lose, outside shooting beat us. 19, 5 for Wile, 15 for Lane.

At #10 Oregon, 18-6, 9-4, then home with 17-9, 6-7 Arizona ST.

We remain in sole possession of 5th place, 2 up on 6th, 1 back of three teams tied for 2nd.

Loretta is pregnant. Due at the end of August.

Wallace’s team just won their league tourney. They are 23-1 going to the state tourney where they are the #1 seed.

February 19

54-69 at #10 Oregon. We were outplayed. That bothers me less than the fact that my players looked like they knew they were playing a better team. It was not a good effort.

We need to win our last 2.

60-36 over Arizona ST. The defense was incredible. We held them to 27.1%. +16 RBs. Our starters all had between 8 and 12. 13 RBs for Hamm.

We finish at 10-16, 4-11 Colorado. It looks like we will finish in 5th with either a win or a loss.

February 26

55-36 at Colorado. Two great defensive efforts in a row. 21, 3, 3, 2 for Lane, 15, 6 for Wile.

We finish tied for 4th but will get the #5 seed. We are 18-9, 10-6. RPI #14.

Ruth Ann applies to both Grambling and Jackson ST. I try once again to convince her to stay in the Bay area but she is determined.

“I need to feel black, dad.”

Enna is pregnant. Due in late September.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:34 am

March 9

We are in the play in game against #12 seed Washington ST later today.

59-40 over Washington ST. Great defense again. 34 for Henk. 6 TOs, 35 RBs.

We play the #4 seed Utah, 18-9, 10-6 in the quarter finals. They beat us by 2 there.

Wallace won the state tournament, large schools division. He ended up 28-1, ranked #3 nationally.

March 10

67-65 over Utah. This was very much like our last game with Utah except that this time we had the last possession. Jed Lane brought it down with 6 seconds left, dribbled around waiting for a screen, got it, and made a 17 footer for the win. 17, 4, 2, 2 for Lane, 15, 9, 2, 2 for Kran, 11, 4 for Will. 10 TOs.

We play #8 Arizona, the #1 seed, 25-5, 14-2, in the semifinals. They beat us by 20 there.

March 11

66-67. It was close all the way. Our 5 starters all put up good numbers. We had 17 TOs but that was only -3, and we were +13 RBs. Yet again we won the inside game, lost the outside game. They had the last possession and hit the last shot.

March 12

Our RPI is #15. We see ourselves receiving a #4 or #5 seed.

Not in the East.

Not in the Midwest.

#7 in the South. We will face #10 Texas, 20-11. We deserved better than a #7 seed. Texas lost two starters to grades, and it made a big difference.

Ruth Ann is accepted at both Grambling and Jackson ST. She will attend Jackson ST, enrolled as a first semester junior.

March 17

71-63 over Texas. 15, 13 for Wile, 16 for Lane, 15 for Hamm. 10 TOs, 40 RBs. We played well in the 2nd half. We were down by as many as 16 early, and by 12 at the half.

Next is #2 seed, #10 ranked Auburn, 25-6.

American casualties in Vietnam have now exceeded the total for the Korean War.

March 19

58-79. We were in over our heads tonight. Tough way to end the season, and once again, I fail to get to the Sweet Sixteen. I’ve have yet to get there.

I realized after the game that I am spinning my wheels here at Cal. Much as I love the school and the area, we just do not have the resources to compete in this tough conference. If the right offer came along I would take it. I’d love to move to nearby Stanford.

April 4

#2 UConn beat #13 Missouri for the title. I schmoozed with lots of people at the Final Four.

Awards:

Jed Lane and Bill Wile make 2nd team.

April 9

I receive no interesting offers.

April 16

My #3 retires. He was 66 years old and I knew we wouldn’t have him for long. My new #3 is Wallace Rose! Yes, we hired my 29 year old son to be our new practice/bench coach. I was able to offer him $5,000 more than he is currently making. I don’t know how long I will have him; I think he will be hired as a head coach within just a few years. But how wonderful to have him on board!

April 23

I ask for a budget increase. We get $11,500.

We end the season 21-11, 10-6, 5th place, RPI #15. Pretty much the way we ended the last couple of seasons. It disappoints me that we do not seem to be making much progress.

My overall record is 261-116, .692. Off-55, Def-89, Recruit 85, Scout-77, Player Dev-77, Reputation-48.

Let’s hope next year shows some improvement.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:04 pm

May 1

We buy the Gold national.

May 11

Baby Marcus is one year old today. Big party!

June 5

Joe More transfers out. Hard to blame him. He is a very good big man but he was always just behind others on our team. I wish him well wherever he winds up.

June 12

We get PG Tim Jonn, #242, and PF Ken Blad, #441.

June 22

Happy first birthday to baby Lenora!

June 26

We have 4 scholarships to give. Looking at 8 PGs, 2 SFs, 7 PFs, 3 Cs.

August 21

We offer to 2 PGs, 2 bigs.

August 25

Ruth Ann leaves for Jackson ST. Because of the racial situation in that area she will live in a dorm.

August 30

Eleanora Ruth Vaughn was born today. She and Loretta are doing fine. Two daughters for Mark and Loretta. We hire Juanita’s sister
Estralita to be the nanny at our house. She knows that in about a month there will be four little ones, and she is delighted. Grandma will, of course, be the primary caregiver, “the boss” to be sure!

September 3

Ho Chi Minh dies.

September 18

PF Hal Brow, #328, and SF Gale Brad, #151, committed.

We lose a big guy but offer to another.

We are invited to the preseason NIT. Our first opponent will be #21 Memphis.

We have put together a challenging schedule. Not counting the NIT we will face 8 teams that are currently ranked, and several more that may well be by the time we play them.

September 22

Will Everett (my father’s name) Rose is born. Enna and Will are doing fine. Two boys for Wallace and Enna. So we have two granddaughters and two grandsons.

September 25

PG Al Crum, #141, and PG Jed Asby, #47, have committed. Asby is borderline regarding the SAT score but we need to take the gamble.

October 2

Today is the first day of practice. We are a powerhouse inside. Our guards look good as well, but guard play has been what has held us back. Hopefully not this year.

We are picked 5th in conference yet again.

Ruth Ann has settled in nicely. She says it is good to be in school, and good to be surrounded by black faces.

“I feel most at home with my own people, dad.”

It has been great having Wallace on staff. His real work begins today, of course, working with players, and helping me to plan practices, making decisions regarding playing time, helping with game strategy… He has done a great job of preparing for all of that.

November 6

I think we have a strong lineup: Junior Tom Will and juco junior Reg Win start at guard, with seniors Alex Lily and Brad Whit backing up.

Up front we have four outstanding players. We start junior Cory Wise, seniors Den Hamm and Dave Kran. Bill Wise is too good not to start but he will back up at all three positions. If anyone falters we will not hesitate to make changes. We have two other very good players behind the top 8.

Our house is filled with the sight, sounds, and unfortunately, the smells of babies and toddlers. I do not see a lot of it given the hours I put in, but when I am able to spend a little time with our little ones, I love it. Callie does as well, but she doesn’t get much more time to do so than I do. Grandma seems very happy to be in charge of all of this and of taking care of the household in general. She has plenty of help, but at 83 she is still very involved!

We start at the NIT with #21 Memphis.

November 15

600,000 join an anti-war protest in D. C.

November 16

President Nixon promises to bring 350,000 troops by the end of the year.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:06 pm

November 20

73-63 over #4 seed, #21 Memphis in the first round of the NIT. 10 was the largest lead by either team but we led most of the way. 18, 10,
2 for Kran, 12, 7 for Wile. 11 TOs.

We play #5 seed, #14 Ohio ST in the quarter final.

53-56 at Ohio ST. The teams were never separated by more than 7 points. +14 RBs, but 21 TOs. As has been the case since I arrived here, we won the inside game but lost the outside game. 13, 7 for Wile, 11, 4 for Kran.

We consider going with 4 bigs and only one guard. After giving it a great deal of thought we decide as a staff that now is the time to try things, before conference play begins. Bill Wile will get more minutes, as we go with a one guard offense.

This week we host 1-1 North Carolina, and then go to 1-1 Illinois.

“They keep trying to get me more active in the struggle but I’ve had enough, dad. I just want to do my schoolwork and go my own way. I know the civil rights and anti-war movements are important, women’s rights too, but I just can’t right now.”

November 27

88-71 over North Carolina. Wile got 27, 7, 3, 2 in his first start of the year. 23, 7 for Kran, 20, 9, 3 for Wise, 8, 6, 2 for Hamm. 40 RBs, 11 TOs.

80-78 in OT at Illinois. Both teams blew big leads (15 and 13). 16 lead changes, 10 ties. At the end of regulation Kran was fouled trying to lay it in. He made both to bring it to OT. Then at the end of OT Kran fouled their substitute center (the starter had fouled out) with one second left, and he missed both to give us the win. He missed the second on purpose to try for the tip in but Kran got the RB and the clock ran out. 34, 8 for Kran, 12, 5, 3 for Will, 13 RBs for Wile.

We host 3-0 Xavier then go to 2-1 Texas A & M.

December 4

68-57 over Xavier. We led most of the way, by as many as 21. 17, 8, 2, 2 for Kran. 10 TOs.

79-57 at Texas A & M. 30, 10 for Kran, 15, 8, 2 for Wile. 8 TOs, 36 RBs.

Ranked! #24, RPI #2, 5-1.

We host 4-0 UMass, then go to #11 Gonzaga, 6-0. That should be a test of how good we are.

Loretta doesn’t take as many gigs as she used to; with two little ones it is difficult. She still takes about one every two weeks.

“I’m first keyboard and Mark moved up to second violin- don’t say it! So we’re doing fine financially.”

It is a joy to work with Wallace. We spend lots of extra hours here at home, or at his house, working. He is an idea factory and he makes me a better coach. The other assistants seem to like him as well.

Ruth Ann is still resisting being drawn into activism.

“I do a little, but not much at all.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:52 pm

December 11

65-58 over UMass. 4 starters in double figures. 11 TOs. They stayed close but never led in the second half.

A costly win. Bill Wile badly bruised a thigh and he is out for at least 2 weeks. We are 5-0 since we went with the one guard offense but now we will need to return to a traditional two guard offense.

Gonzaga is guard heavy so let’s see how this works out.

64-68. 21 lead changes, 9 ties. They scored the last 6 points. They tied the game, we missed, they came down and scored to take the lead. We threw it away- one of only 11 TOs but it could not have come at a worse time, with 5 seconds left. We had to foul; they made both. 17, 3, 2 for Reg Win in his return to the starting lineup, and 14, 9 for Red Pine in his first chance at significant minutes up front.

Maybe we’ll start 5 big guys- no, that won’t happen.

We played well. I’d love to meet them in March if we’re at full strength.

4-5 New Mexico here, then 4-3 Brigham Young there.

December 18

73-61 over New Mexico ST. 21, 5 for Kran. 7 TOs.

69-59 at Brigham Young. 15, 7, 4, 3 for Kran, 13, 5 for Wise. +10 TOs.

President Nixon promises to bring 50,000 troops home from Vietnam by April.

At 2-6 Missouri, then here with 7-2 Iowa.

December 25

62-75 at Missouri. We played really well in the first half, then completely fell apart in the second. -13 TOs. 25, 11, 3 for Kran. Bill Wile will be back for our next game.

72-33 over Iowa. Unbelievable defense and a balanced attack. 13 TOs, 41 RBs.

#24 Oregon ST, 10-2, is here to start conference play.

9-3 in pre-conference play. #22, RPI #3. +9.2 PPG, +5.5 RBPG, +0.3 TOPG (12.6).

The whole family was here for dinner, and Ruth Ann is here for the week. She says she loves being a student.

“I’m 24, older than just about all of the students. It gives me a different perspective. I’ve been to one civil rights event, and two women’s rights. I’ll get to an anti-war rally. But I’m really doing very little of that kind of thing.

The kids were passed around all day long. Marcus is 2 ½, Lenora 1 ½, and then there are the two babies. It really was a lovely celebration.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:13 am

January 1, 1970

76-64 over Oregon ST. 17, 12, 2, 3 for Kran, 14, 11, 4, 3 for Hamm. 8 TOs, 47 RBs.

This defines “tough week.” First we’re at #4 Stanford, 12-3, then at #10 Oregon, 11-4. A split would be wonderful.

Ruth Ann went back to Jackson ST today.

“See you in May! Can’t wait to see those four babies again!”

January 8

76-70 at #4 Stanford. We won it at the foul line. The officials called 23 on them, 9 on us. 26 for Kran, 18, 5, 2, 2 for Wile, 12 RBs for Wise. 20 TOs (-5).

68-66 over #10 Oregon. We led by as many as 24 in the first half and it was 19 at the break. The final score was as close as it got, and it happened when they sank a 30 footer at the buzzer. 17, 9 for Wile, 17, 6 for Kran. Great bench play.

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to win both of these games!

This week we host 8-6, 2-1 Arizona ST, then we go to 4-10, 1-2 Colorado.

I can’t believe we only climbed from #25 to #22 in the polls. RPI is now #1.

January 15

70-42 over Arizona ST. 21, 15 for Wile, 16, 11 for Karn, 13, 9, 5 for Wise. 7 TOs, 46 RBs.

Cory Wise hurt his hand. Day to day.

57-44 at Colorado. 20, 11 for Kran, 17, 8, 5 for Hamm. +21 RBs.

At 13-5, 3-2 Washington, then home with 9-7, 3-2 Utah.

#19.

The anti-war protests seem to be heating up all over the country.

January 22

74-60 over Washington. We led all the way. Good solid performances all around. +16 RBs.

70-48 over Utah here. 20, 10 for Kran, 14, 7 for Wile. Alex Lily has been playing really well from the bench. 41 RBs, 11 TOs.

At 5-13, 1-6 USC, then here with 2nd place UCLA, #18, 14-6, 6-1.

We’re 1 up on UCLA, 2 on Arizona, 3 or more on the rest, but still a long way to go.

#16, still #1 RPI.

Callie and I find excuses to sneak home to be with the little ones. She was on semester break, which did give her a bit more time at home, even with the added research and writing she does during that time.

January 29

63-59 at USC. We escaped. This one was closer than it should have been all the way. Neither team ever led by more than 8. We were down 5 with 2 ½ to go. We outscored them 13-4 from that point on, mostly going inside. 18, 14, 2 for Kran, 17, 5 for Reg Win, who got lots of minutes due to foul trouble for Wise and Wile. +7 RBs, +4 TOs.

59-65 to #18 UCLA here. Their bench outscored ours 32-14. We didn’t stop the outside shot, and surprisingly, we were outrebounded. 17, 9, 2, 2 for Kran, 18, 7 for Wile. No one else had more than 6 points.

This would have given us a 2 game lead. Instead we are tied with UCLA for the lead.

Everyone hits our SAT score so we are finished recruiting.

12-9, 5-4 Arizona is here, then it’s off to 6-14, 0-9 Washington ST.

Ruth Ann says that Jackson ST has become very political.

“I’m staying out of it, dad. It’s getting a little crazy, especially the anti-war stuff. They’re right, of course, but I wish they would calm down a little. I just walk past the demonstrations and go where I’m going.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports