Grambling Rose

Re: Grambling Rose

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:30 pm

April 4

I’m not looking for a job but I went to the Final Four in Denver anyway. It’s good for my career to do that, and it is probably good for our program. Western Michigan must agree because they paid for the trip.

It was all our state of Michigan as #1 Michigan ST defeated #3 Michigan in the title game.

Awards: Jam May was named conference POY and 1st team. Ed Kohl made 2nd team.

Wallace was conference POY, Defensive POY, 1st team. He was a national 2nd team All American.

April 9

I received several calls regarding coaching positions but none were at all interesting.

April 23

We ask for a facilities upgrade. As promised A. D. Mark Walls came through. Our facilities will be up from C+ to B+ when the work is completed.

We have our recruits signed and along with Jax, we feel it is a good group. We have high hopes for next season

Our two best players, Kohl and May are seniors but everyone else is back.

We end the season at 17-14, winning the conference tournament. Given how we began, and given that we really had only two players, I am pleased.

My record is now 104-48, .684. My career pct. went down but I knew it would. Off-29, Def-49, Recruit-78, Scout-74, Player Development-44, Reputation-25.

Wallace says he has been called by every NBA team except for San Francisco, the one place he would really love to play. But they are solid up front with Chamberlain and Meschery. He plans to come home for a couple of weeks this summer, which will be wonderful.

Loretta says her concert went very well. We were unable to see it, unfortunately, but she understood.

Ruth Ann continues to do very well in school. It is track season and as she did in Louisiana she does the triple jump and the quarter mile. She has won two of the first three events in the former, and has a first, and two thirds in the latter. She remains active in debate, as well as in the civil rights movement. She still sees the same boy, but it doesn’t seem more than casual.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:28 am

May 1

We buy the Gold national scouting report again.

May 5

The NBA draft: Wallace was drafted in the first round, #4 overall, by the New York Knicks. We didn’t expect him to go that high but the Knicks need a center and they felt he was the best available. He is negotiating with them now but with Loretta in New York he would like to play there if things can be worked out.

May 17

Wallace’s contract goal was to make at least 3, and hopefully 4 times what he would make as a high school teacher/coach. He just signed a three year contract with the Knicks for just under four times. He is very pleased. He is expected to play center, but some power forward as well. The Knicks are weak at both positions and head coach Eddie Donovan expects him to start.

“When I told Coach Donovan I wasn’t sure that I’d do very well against Chamberlain and Russell he said, ‘H*ll, nobody else does either! We’ll double Chamberlain for you.’”

That’s an illegal defense in the NBA but coaches find ways to do it.

Wallace is sensible and down to earth. He expects to save most of his salary. He and Loretta plan to find a small, relatively cheap apartment together, perhaps with one or two other Juilliard students.

June 5

We are looking at transfers.

June 12

We sign a PG, Lane Laws. He was at UCLA but did not play much. He wanted playing time, even if it meant going to a lower rated school. Wallace thought he would help us. He had played against him several times.

We also signed a young man I recruited to Grambling. I thought he had great potential. He is center Wade Jess. He started for Grambling as a freshman and did quite well, but he was from Cleveland, and he found that he did not feel comfortable or safe in the Deep South.

June 26

We have 3 scholarships to give. Again this year we need guards, at least two. We’re looking at 16, 10 of them guards, all 10 PGs.

Wallace is here, on his way to Knicks training camp in two and a half weeks. Loretta is also here so the family is together, and very happy to be! Wallace and
Loretta have found an apartment, and will be sharing with two of Loretta’s friends. Splitting the rent four ways makes it very affordable, and they are making plans. The other two girls will move in on July 1, and our children will join them a week or so after that.

July 11

This group of recruits is rather unimpressive. After taking a closer look we are now only looking at 7 of the original 16. We will, of course, add more as time goes by.

Kid camp, week one, starts today. I look forward to seeing my new players, and to bringing back my returnees. Jay Jax is the “big guy.” He has been on campus taking summer classes, as are almost all of my players, and he had the opportunity to go up against Wallace in several playground pickup games. He definitely held his own. That has us very excited.

Wallace and Loretta left for New York this morning. It was wonderful having them here.

Grandma is much happier now that summer has arrived. Summer here is not nearly as hot as it was in Louisiana, but it is far more comfortable for her, and she spends much of her day in the large garden behind our home.

I must say again how much all of us love our home. Even with the entire family here it did not feel at all crowded. It is just an average home here in Kalamazoo, but it is a palace to us. And the monthly mortgage payments are very reasonable. We feel that we will be able to pay off the mortgage in 15 years or so, assuming we stay here. I do not plan to become a coaching “gypsy.” If we are offered a position at a top flight university in a major conference, of course we will consider it, but I will not move otherwise. And at most we will make one more move. We want a sense of community in our lives, and we are building that here.

Callie is taking two courses again this summer.

July 25

Kid camp ended today. We had some great kids, including at least a dozen who we will keep an eye on. My team is definitely stronger than last year’s, but guards are still not as good as the bigs, and all guard positions are up for grabs.

August 7

Jay Jax is #24 on the Norton List. He is my first player on that prestigious list.

August 21

We offer to a center and 2 PGs.

September 18

We got Del Meek, C, #54 (down from 203). We feel we’re close with the 2 PGs.

We decided to go with a challenging schedule. We play 2 ranked teams, and 6 others that are good enough that they may be ranked by the time we play them. We’re playing Cal, there. Wish it had been last year. Coach Newell is no longer there but they still have a good program.

September 25

Jess Saxs, PG, #129 (was 190 last month), and Len Dix, PG, #157 (240 last month), commit. All 3 committed recruits have good grades so we should be finished with recruiting.

October 2

First day of practice. Jay Jax is fantastic, and he has some help up front. Our inside game should be able to stay with anyone we play.

We’re picked to win our conference again. This year I agree.

November 6

Exhibition games played. As we thought Jay Jax is an incredible player. We’ll go with Junior Dave Fox, a transfer from Colorado, and Juco junior Sal Mann at guard with senior Jon Bray backing them up. Senior Dan Ward, a four year starter, is at SF. Jax and juco junior Max Jost start up front, but junior Ad Wood will get as many minutes as Jost, and again this year, there could well be lineup changes.

We start on the road at Nebraska and then at Florida ST. It’s a very tough schedule in that 9 of our 11 preconference games are away.

I cut my bad hand yesterday on a broken glass. It was in the numb area. I bled all over the place before I noticed it since I hadn’t felt a thing.
Wallace has played five games in the NBA, starting all of them at center. He did really well in three of them. The other two, against Russell and then Chamberlain, were not very good.

“Those guys are amazing, dad. I didn’t have a chance.”

I think he will do okay against the rest of the league but the Knicks will be lucky not to finish last.

He says he and Loretta are doing fine in the new apartment and that Loretta’s friends are easy to live with. Of course he’s on the road as much as he’s home.

He says he is saving most of his salary.

“There are lots of people after my money, dad, but none of them are getting any of it. I live free on the road. The team pays for my hotel room, and I get enough meal money to eat well. I spend my free time seeing the sites or just reading in my room. My roommate on the road is Johnny Green. He’s a really nice guy. He’s married and he doesn’t fool around- some of the guys do, so he goes with me when I go doing tourist things, and he likes to watch movies in the room but he plays the TV low so it’s fine.

At home we don’t eat out hardly at all. We take turns cooking, and that saves a lot of money.

At some point Wallace will get himself a girlfriend and my guess is he will spend more money when that happens.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:48 am

November 20

58-51 at Nebraska. Jax had 20 and 6, Ward 12 and 5, Fox 11, 5, 3. The defense was very good and we were +10 RBs. We only took 37 shots though, which is ridiculously low.

74-82 at Florida ST. 32, 5 for Jax but he only played 26 minutes due to fouls. We need him in the game. 14, 4, 2 for Mann, but he fouled out. 10, 6 for Ward.
Defense was not good at all tonight, especially outside.

The road is difficult, and we are trying to jell, which we have not yet done.

This week we host 0-1 USC, then travel to 1-1 Arizona, a really good team. They lost a close game to #6 ranked Oregon in the NIT.

All three recruits signed.

Grandma is freezing again. Gardening season ended weeks ago. It is definitely cold here. Grandma keeps busy cooking and cleaning, and wears a sweater- sometimes two sweaters, but she’s still cold.

November 27

69-51 over USC. 24, 16 for Jax in his best game so far. 22 for Mann, 9, 5, 2 for Ward. 18 TOs but +17 RBs.

57-73 at Arizona. 24, 8 for Jax. No one else did much of anything. They were quicker, and we let them shoot 50%.

This week we’re at 1-2 Memphis and then we host 4-1 Nevada.

Ruth Ann was really fired up about the James Meredith incident at the University of Mississippi.

“This is what we need to do! I wish I was old enough to be there to stand with him and Dr. King!”

Thank goodness she isn’t. People will get hurt and even killed over this.

December 4

48-64 at Memphis. 20 TOs. 23, 14 for Jax but once again, he was doing it alone. We need to get him some help somehow.

16 TOs per game, which is awful.

78-67 over Nevada, here at home. 37, 18 for Jax who completely dominated inside. 14 for Fox.39 RBs (+20).

This week we’re on the road against some tough competition. Illinois is 4-2,and Oregon ST is 5-2.

I was certainly too optimistic in putting together our schedule. Many of the teams we’re playing are very good, and almost all of them are road games. Having said that I believe we’ll do well in conference.

Wallace is tired.

“The games and the airplanes never stop, dad. And the games are really physical.”

Detroit and Chicago are both about two hours away by car. We would love to take in some of Wallace’s games.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:03 pm

December 11

70-73 at Illinois. We fell behind by 16.We never quit but it was just a little too much. 35, 14 for Jax, and good play from our back court, 16, 5, 4 for Fox, and 12 for Mann. 26 TOs was the biggest problem, as TOs have been our biggest problem all season long.

74-71 at Oregon ST. We never trailed, but it was close all the way. Every time they had a chance to tie or go ahead we came up with a stop. 24, 10, 3 for Jax, 13 for Mann, 9 for Fox. 15 TOs, but for us that’s not bad, sadly.

This week we stay on the road but the competition is not as stiff. First it’s 1-5 Wagner, and then 5-3 Long Beach ST.

We decide to give Scot Quin Ad Wood’s minutes.

Wallace did not start in the Knicks last game.

“Coach said the job is still mine but I needed some rest. We weren’t going to beat the Celtics anyway.”

The Knicks are last in the East.

Loretta continues to do very well in school, and her playing and composing are featured in school performances.

Ruth Ann is more politically active in school and in the community. Events in the U. S. are heating up, and she and her friends are energized by that.

Fortunately, Kalamazoo is a progressive town.

December 18

64-48 at Wagner. 20 and 7 for Jax, 16 for Mann, 9, 4, 2 for Ward, 9, 4 for Fox. 12 TOs, which is far better than usual.

53-67 at Long Beach ST. 31, 15 for Jax, 7, 5 for Jost. Poor shooting and poor outside defense did us in, but the road, more than anything else, is what is truly doing us in.

We end preconference play at 5-4 California. We need our inside game to win it for us.

December 25

71-57 over Cal. 27, 18 for Jax, 14, 3, 2, 2 for Mann, 10, 4, 3 for Ward, 9, 3, 2 for Quin from the bench.

We end preconference play at 6-5, RPI #43. Given the tough teams and the overwhelming number of road games, I think we did fine.

We need to do better at ball handling. It is a huge issue, 16.3 TOs per game. On the other hand rebounding is a great strength, +11.4.

We begin conference play with 7-4 Toledo here. It is a one game week.

We all went to Detroit for the holiday. Wallace and the Knicks played there on Christmas eve. We saw the game, stayed overnight at a hotel, and had Christmas lunch with the team.

Wallace had his best game as a pro, 14, 10, with 4 blocks. He is adjusting to the grueling pace.

Loretta was home so it was nice to have all of us together. Grandma didn’t want to come with us but Ruth Ann and Loretta talked her into it, and she was delighted to see Wallace.

On the ride home it snowed all the way. I drove slowly and carefully and it took us nearly four hours to make what would normally be a bit less than a two hour trip. But we did not get into any trouble in the snow, thankfully.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:04 pm

January 1, 1963

77-67 over Toledo. 21, 8 for Jax, a big 30, 6, 3 for Fox, WAY more than he has ever scored for us. Mann had 14, 2, 4. Only 12 TOs.

We start the week at 5-7, 0-1 Eastern Michigan, and then we’re back home with 9-3, 1-0 Central Michigan.

Loretta heads back to New York tomorrow. It was good to see her again.

January 8

60-50 at Eastern Michigan. 23, 15 for Jax, 13, 6 for Ward, 12, 5 for Jost. Easily the best performance from the front court all season. Jax is always amazing but tonight he had lots of help. 37 RBs (+12).

61-44 over Central Michigan. 26, 13 for Jax, 10, 6, 3 for Ward, 10, 6 for Quin, 8, 5 for Jost. 40 RBs (+23).

3-0 start in conference and RPI is now #24. We are playing the best ball of the season.

Jay Jax has been steadily climbing in the Norton Award rankings. He is now all the way up to #2. He is generally considered to be the best big man in the country. He is averaging 26.2, 11.9. 2nd in scoring in the country, 1st in rebounding.

We start the week here against 7-7, 1-2 Northern Illinois, and then go to 10-6, 1-2 Ball ST.

It seems I have developed an infection in my left hand. That bad cut I received back in November seemed to heal well, but then an infection developed. We treated it at the university hospital. It is back, and the doctor I am seeing seems very concerned.

“A bad burn never really heals, Coach. It leaves behind so much dead tissue that the area around it is always in jeopardy.”

“What can I expect?”

“Well, we should be aggressive in treating it because there is a great deal of danger if we cannot control and eliminate the infection. If it were to spread it could be bad.”

“How so?”

“There could be danger to the hand, and even to the lower part of the arm.”

“What kind of danger?”

“Danger of gangrene… If that were to happen you could lose the hand, the wrist, perhaps even a little more of the arm.”

I drove straight home after seeing the doctor. I skipped practice to speak with grandma. She looked at the wound again. She had sent me to the doctor to begin with.

“… Your doctor is right, Marcus. This is a very dangerous wound.”

“Can you do anything?”

“I could do a lot of things but I’m not sure that whatever I might do might interfere with what he’s doing.”

“All he’s doing so far is giving me something called ampicillin, he says very large doses. It’s related to penicillin, newer and supposed to be better.”

“I don’t know that any poultice I might use might not interfere with that. Best to let the doctor take care of this.”

I’m not so sure. Grandma got me through the first time better than any doctor could have.

January 15

85-71. 40, 9, 2, 3 for Jax, 12, 5, 2, 2 for Quin, 13 for Ward. We led all the way, and we’re the only 4-0 team in conference.

64-54 at Ball ST. We took an early lead and never looked back. It was not as close as the final score. 21, 12 for Jax, 21 for Mann. +10 RBs. The only downside, was, as usual TOs. We had 19.

This week 2-14, 0-5 Bowling Green is here, and then we go to 4-12. 3-2 Akron, which has been disappointing. They were expected to challenge us. Who knows, they may.

I believe our tough non-conference schedule really prepared us well for conference play. We are 5-0, RPI #19. We are dominating our opponents in every area except ball handling, -4.1 TOs, -1.7 assists, -3.3 steals. If not for that no one in conference would be able to challenge us.

Ruth Ann snuck off to a rally/protest in Detroit. On Tuesday she said she had been invited to spend the weekend at a friend’s house. Ruth Ann has never lied to us so we didn’t question it. It turns out the friend had told her parents she was staying here. They boarded a bus for Detroit shortly after school. They went to a speech by Dr. King on Friday evening and even got to meet both him and his wife afterward. They lied to them as well, saying that their parents knew.

Then on Saturday afternoon there was a big march supporting Dr. King’s efforts to desegregate schools, buses, restaurants, etc. There was some name calling and a few rocks were thrown by a small group of whites, but no one was hurt.

On Saturday evening they went to another speech. They stayed with some teens in Detroit who they had been corresponding with for some time. Then on Sunday they boarded a bus back here and arrived in Kalamazoo at about 5:30 p.m.

They would have gotten away with it but for a strange coincidence. Their track coach was putting his sister on a bus after her visit to his family. He saw the girls as they got off the bus and went right over to them. The story they gave did not come close to adding up. He put them in his car, took them to his home, and called us and the other girls’ parents. By the time we got there the girls were both crying, but Ruth Ann was still defiant.

“It was the BEST experience of my LIFE and you would NEVER have let me go! I’m not sorry.”

“Coach, I deeply appreciate what you’ve done. We’d like to discuss this with Ruth Ann in the privacy of our home.”

We drove home and did just that, but not right away.

“Ruth Ann, you’re tired, and excited, and upset. Please go to your room and take a nap. We’ll discuss this after supper.”

We did, and she was a bit calmer. Callie, grandma, and I took the opportunity the nap provided to discuss strategy. When we had the talk we remained calm, and we focused on Ruth Ann’s dishonesty, and on the danger she had put herself in by going to a strange city and staying with people she had never met. Mostly we talked about honesty.

Ruth Ann tried to “get us going” but we never rose to the bait. After a long time she began to understand what we were trying to say.

“I know it was wrong. I’m not sorry though, I’m not! I’m sorry I lied to you; I am sorry about that. But I didn’t know how else to make it work.”

We explained about trust, and how easy it is to break, and how difficult it is to gain back.

We saved the most difficult part for last. And I had the duty of speaking.

“Ruth Ann, I know how this will upset you, but I am going to write to Dr. and Mrs. King-”

“NO!!!”

“Yes. You lied to them, as well as to us.”

“NO! PLEASE!”

“Ruth Ann, actions have consequences.”

“He’ll never let me help him again! He won’t write to me anymore.”

“First, I’m sure you’re wrong. I believe he will find some wise words to write to you, words that you will listen to more so than our words. And he is a loving, forgiving man. He will instruct you, and he will set limits, but he is not the type of man to abandon you.”

She just kept crying. After a while she let me hold her as she cried.

“It’s not the end of the world, child. You will learn a hard lesson here, but if you DO learn it, you’ll be a better person.”

“I want- no I NEED to help with this, daddy.”

“I know. And at 16 you feel like you’ve waited long enough. We’ll talk about how you can help with the struggle after you hear from Dr. King.”

My infection was not getting better, but the doctor and grandma did not think it was getting worse.

January 22

80-39 over Bowling Green here. This became embarrassing. We could do no wrong. I didn’t play my starters long, but my subs continued the onslaught. +23 RBs.

We shot 57.8%, they shot 33.3%. 49-16 at the half.

69-54 at Akron. 34, 7 for Jax, 17 for Mann. They led 2-3 times early but we went on a run and were never threatened after that.

Central Michigan is 2 back, everyone else is 3 or more back of us.

We are playing very, very well.

We are at 10-9, 4-3 Kent ST, and then here with 9-9, 4-3 Miami (OH).

We’re 13-5, 7-0. I thought we might be ranked. We are not.

Dr. King’s letter arrived quickly. We do not open Ruth Ann’s mail but grandma takes the mail into the house so we knew it had come. I handed the letter to Ruth

Ann when she arrived home after a debate meeting. She looked the letter over as if she wanted to be certain that we had not opened it. Then she walked toward the stairs.

“Ruth Ann-”

“It’s my letter!”

“Yes, of course it is. And we have no intention of asking to see it. But we are hoping that you will be willing to discuss what Dr. King said, if not today, then within 2-3 days.”

She looked at each of us, sort of half nodded, and went to her room.

We didn’t push it.

The following day, at dinner, she looked at me and said, “You were right.”

I looked at her but didn’t say anything.

“He told me that I mustn’t lie to him, or to any of you again. If I promise, he will find ways for me to help. He says I can make phone calls, write letters, or stuff his letters into envelopes, work in the office in Detroit, if you’ll let me, maybe some other things. When I graduate from high school I can work in his organization. If I don’t lie again he will find a job for me.”

“That’s wonderful, Ruth Ann.”

“I wish I could do more right now.”

“I know.”

The infection is becoming a major concern. I may need surgery soon. When I get back from the Kent ST game the doctor will take another look. He may just lance it, as grandma did way back when, or he may need to do more than that.

January 29

71-67 at Kent ST. Jay Jax carried us with 33 and 16, and he scored the last 4 points of the game on free throws. This was a battle, our first in conference play.

Neither team ever led by more than 7, and it went back and forth all night. 11, 6, 2 for Ward, 8, 4, 6 for Fox. -5 TOs, but +12 RBs.

78-66 over Miami (OH). 35, 12 for Jax, 16, 5, 4, 3 for Ward, 12 for Mann. 11 TOs (+9).

Ad Wood banged up his hip. Day to day.

Jay Jax is at #2 in the Norton list.

This week we travel to 8-12, 4-5 Ohio, then host 11-9, 4-5 Buffalo.

All of our recruits hit our SAT score.

We’re 2 games up on Central Michigan and 4 or more on everyone else.

Grandma and Ruth Ann will go to Detroit this weekend to work in Dr. King’s office there. We are not comfortable sending Ruth Ann alone and grandma volunteered.

“My daddy was born a slave. It’s time I do my part in this.”

Wallace has a game in town so they will see him play, and visit with him after the game.

I saw the doctor. He did a very thorough examination. Then he asked me to get dressed so we could talk.

“The infection is bad. It’s deep and it’s spreading. It isn’t gangrene yet, but it’s headed that way. The safest course to take, in order to save your life, is to take the arm off, just below the elbow.”

It became very quiet.

“Can’t we try to lance and drain it?”

“We could… But if we don’t go deep enough, and if we don’t get it all, it will just spread and endanger you. Coach, this is serious, and it is most definitely life threatening.”

“… Drain it.”

“All right. We need to do it tomorrow morning. Report to the hospital within two hours. Don’t eat anything. And I’m going to have you sign a waver absolving me if things go badly. This will be more of a real surgery than just a lance and drain. You’ll be out of work for at least a few days, and once again, it is your decision but I do not believe it is the correct one.”

I explained everything, honestly, to Callie, grandma, and Ruth Ann. They all agreed that I was making a foolish decision but when they saw that I was determined, they were supportive.

I didn’t go to Ohio with the team.

When I woke from surgery the doctor was in the room.

“Well, we won’t know for a while, but we got a lot of poison out of that area. I wound up having to make a very long incision, and we drained a long way up the arm, almost to the elbow. I gave you a shot of morphine just a few minutes ago. You can have another one in six hours. Don’t wait for the pain. Ring for the shot 15 minutes ahead of time. And there will be a lot of pain.”

It couldn’t be as bad as the night when I was burned.

The pain wasn’t as bad as the original burn, but it was bad. And it didn’t get better for a day and a half. On the third day the doctor came in for his regular check. After that we spoke.

“At this point I think there’s a chance to save the arm- if we’re lucky, and if things keep going the way they’re going. There are no guarantees though. As I’ve told you, this kind of a burn never really completely heals.”

I left the hospital on the fourth day, but missed the Buffalo game as well as the Ohio game.

(NOTE: I just toughened up my in house recruiting rules)
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:46 am

February 5

55-52 at Ohio. 24, 10, 2, 2 for Jax, 11, 5 for Ward. Only 13 TOs. Ram Davy did a great job.

We are now 3 games up on Central Michigan. And we’re ranked- #25.

86-76 over Buffalo here. 26, 11, 2 for Jax, 16 for Jost, 14 each for Fox and Mann. 11 TOs (+8).

This week we’re at 13-9, 6-5 Toledo, who we beat by 10 here. Then we host 11-11, 6-5 Eastern Michigan who we beat by 10 there.

Grandma says she and Ruth Ann’s trip to Detroit went well. They did lots of paperwork in Dr. King’s office. They watched as Wallace scored 12 and had 8 RBs. in a Knicks win. Wallace matches up well with the Detroit big men. They enjoyed their postgame visit.

My wound seems to be healing well. I was able to watch the Buffalo game from the stands but it tired me. I will work part time for a while, but I do plan to coach our games.

February 12

Our 12 game winning streak ended with a 50-72 loss. Jay Jax twisted an ankle and played only 19 minutes. He had 6 and 11. This was the first time he has failed to reach double figures this season. His sprain does not seem serious. Without him in the lineup we seemed lost. I was not happy with how timid we seemed. 29 TOs certainly didn’t help.

76-56 over Eastern Michigan. 21, 7, 2, 2 for Jax, 24 for Mann, 17, 3, 2 for Jost. 8 TOs.

We are up by 3 games again.

This week we go to 17-7, 9-4 Central Michigan, the only team 3 games back of us. We won by 17 here. Then we’re at 12-12, 6-7 Northern Illinois. We beat them by 14.

Jax remains #2 on the Norton list.

My hand, wrist, and arm all hurt. The doctor and grandma both say that’s good. Lack of feeling would be worrisome.

Ruth Ann is trying to talk us into letting her go to Detroit every weekend. We have agreed that if grandma is willing they may go once a month. Ruth Ann is not happy. Dr. King’s campaign in Birmingham is heating up and Ruth Ann wants to be part of it, even from as far away as Detroit.

February 19

61-59 over Central Michigan to clinch the regular season conference title. 13, 15 for Jax, but 7 TOs. 11, 8, 3 for Ward, who had the winning basket. +22 RBs made the difference but this was a battle all the way.

We’re 4 up on Central Michigan, 5 on Toledo, 6 or more on the rest.

86-87 at Northern Illinois. 25, 12, 2 for Jax, 21 for Mann, 12 and 14 for Jost. Jax made a layup for what we thought was the win, with 1 second left. They inbounded and threw up a ¾ court shot. It went in. In fairness they played well, and never quit. Bench play and poor defense hurt us.

This week we are in the Bracket Breaker against #16 Gonzaga, 21-4, here. This should be a competitive game. For us to win the game must be played inside.

Then we end regular season play here against 17-11, 8-7 Ball ST.

Wallace is tired, and he says he has aches and pains everywhere. The NBA season is really grueling. He is averaging 7.7, 8.9, and 3.6 blocks. His coach is happy with his performance.

February 26

66-45 over #16 Gonzaga. Jay Jax was terrific tonight, 33 and 9. 10 each for Fox and Mann. +10 RB. We were strong inside, but our guards and our bench came through for us.

Max Jost banged his head on a fall to the floor. He was dazed, and we sat him for the rest of the game. He is day to day.

76-58 over Ball ST. 26, 11, 3 for Jax, but 6 TOs. 17, 4, 3, 3 for Mann. +15 RBs.

We end the regular season 21-7, 14-2, winning the conference by 4 games. We are #23, RPI #16. We will host the tourney.
+7.0 PPG, +11.0 RBPG, -2.6 TOPG but we’re making progress with ball handling.

Jay Jax remains 2nd in the nation in scoring and 1st in rebounding.

My wound seems to have healed properly. Hopefully we won’t have another relapse.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:50 am

March 5

Jay Jax is #3 on the Norton list. Better yet, today is the deadline to declare for the NBA draft, and he didn’t.

March 6

13-16, 7-9 Eastern Michigan won their play in game in an upset. We’ll play them in the round of 8. We beat them by 10 and then 20.

March 7

73-59 over Eastern Michigan. 29, 14, 2, 3, 2 for Jax. +12 RBs. They never led by more than 2 but they stayed close for a long time.

It’s 15-14, 8-8 Miami (OH) in the semifinal round. We won by 12 here.

March 8

68-75. I’m shocked. They went up 16 early. We cut it to 8 at the half. They built it back up to 16 in the second. We came back, got within a basket twice, and then faded. 29, 6, 3 for Jax.

This will hurt us as far as NCAA tournament seed is concerned. We were thinking as high as a 5 or 6 but now it will likely be about an 8.

Ball ST won the tourney by 16 over Miami (OH).

We go to the tournament at 22-8, ranked #22, RPI #17.

Wallace hurt his ankle again. He is out for a week to ten days.

“I can use the rest, dad. All I do lately is play and sleep.”

March 12

Not in the East.

Not in the Midwest.

#6 in the South. Better than I thought. We play #11 Drake, 22-9. They have a strong backcourt.

March 17

72-58. 34 and 11 for Jax, 12, 7, 3 for Ward. -10 TOs, but +21 RBs.

We play #3 seed, #9 ranked UCLA, 28-5. They have a terrific backcourt. If we are to win this game we need to play it inside. It’s a tall order though. As a head coach I have not yet gotten to the Sweet Sixteen.

March 19

65-77 to UCLA. 23, 15 for Jax, +16 RBs, but -14 TOs, and they were much better outside. We did all we could but they were the better team.

April 4

I went to the Final Four, as usual. #1 KY beat UCLA for the title.

Awards: Jay Jax was named 1st team All American. In conference, Jax was MOP and 1st team. Junior guard Sal Mann made 2nd team.

April 9

We received some calls regarding head coaching jobs but we have no interest, and we politely told the callers that.

Grandma and Ruth Ann have been to Detroit a couple of times. Ruth Ann would love to do more but she is happy to be playing a part.

Wallace is playing again. He is now averaging 8.0 and 8.1, with 3.4 blocks.

April 13

Dr. King was arrested in Birmingham last night. Ruth Ann is beside herself. We are trying to explain that this is part of his strategy. If it was necessary to go to jail to publicize his cause, and to let the world know how unjust the laws were, he was very willing to do that.

April 23

We ask for a budget increase. We get just under $10,000.

We end the year at 23-9. My lifetime record is 127-57, .690. Off-33, Def-55, Recruit-85,
Scout-74, Player Dev-49, Reputation-29.

I feel that if one of our incoming freshmen or transfer guards develops, or if one of our returning guards improves his ball handling, we could have a very, very good year next season

Loretta is finishing her junior year, Ruth Ann her sophomore year in high school.

Wallace is having a successful, if exhausting first year in the NBA.

Callie is finishing the second year of her Ph. D. studies.

Grandma, at 77, just rolls along, doing a little bit of everything, all of it well.

If my left hand and arm can stay healthy I have never been happier and more fulfilled.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:04 pm

May 1

We buy the National Gold scouting report.

June 5

We’re looking at the transfer pool but there seems to be no one of interest.

The girls both did very well in school, as usual. Callie is making progress toward the Ph. D. She will take two classes again this summer.

Loretta is staying in New York. She is working with the New York Philharmonic, not playing, but doing a sort of apprenticeship. It is a wonderful opportunity.

Ruth Ann wanted to spend the summer in either Detroit or Birmingham, but we thought Birmingham was too dangerous, and really, we feel she’s too young to go off on her own. That time will come, but not yet. She will work for Dr. King’s SLCC from home. She picks up materials in Detroit and works on them here at home. It means she goes to Detroit every weekend, but we have come to know the people there, through grandma, and we are more comfortable with this arrangement. Grandma goes with her about every three weeks, but often Ruth Ann goes on her own.

I have never mentioned this but Ruth Ann has always been beautiful. As a child she was just adorable, and now that she has grown into a young woman she is stunning. This is not just a proud father speaking, we hear it from everyone. Now, please understand, I am not thrilled about this. It is dangerous for a black woman to be attractive, or even more than attractive. It was certainly a large factor, along with many others, in our leaving the South. Ruth Ann, fortunately, is completely dismissive of this. She has no vanity whatever. I’m not sure she even realizes how beautiful she is.

All of our children are good looking. Wallace, being young, very tall, and in perfect physical condition, is certainly handsome, and Loretta is the “cute” type, petite, with a lovely smile and lively eyes. Clearly my children take after their mother in this regard.

The Knicks did not make the playoffs so Wallace is through for the season. He ended up averaging 7.6, 7.9, 3.2. His defense is very solid so he expects to start again next season.

June 12

Medgar Evers of the NAACP was shot and killed tonight.

June 26

It is a big recruiting year. We have 7 scholarships. We hope to go 4-3 either way.

It’s a huge amount of work to have this many scholarships to fill.

We start with 18 players but we will add to and subtract from over time.

July 12

Wallace was traded to Detroit. We are thrilled to have him nearby, but he is disappointed. He really liked New York City and enjoying living with Loretta and her two friends. Still, the money is good and he will save most of it. He hopes to arrange to live with one or more of his new teammates to save on living expenses. Rent is considerably cheaper in the Detroit area than in NYC, of course. The Pistons are no better as a team than the Knicks, but that means job security for Wallace, and they are very weak at center.

Our kid camp starts this week.

July 25

We are not thrilled with many of the recruits we are looking at. We will add to the pool soon.

Kid camp showed us that we have a very strong team defensively. If guard play, especially ball handling, improves this year we feel we will have a very good team.

Wallace is sharing an apartment with Donnie Butcher and Eddie Miles, both of the Pistons, and will pay less as his share of the rent and other housing expenses than he did in NYC.

“I’ll be doing the cooking though. Neither of those guys can even make a cup of tea.”

After learning the news it took Ruth Ann all of 30 seconds to say, “Now I can spend the summer in Detroit! I’ll stay with Wallace.”

Wallace really liked this idea. We settled on Ruth Ann going to Detroit whenever Wallace was in town until school started, and then every weekend he was in town during the school year.

This also meant that at least some of us would be at most, if not all, of his home games.

August 7

Jay Jax is not on the Norton list. I am shocked. There is an academic component so perhaps that is why.

We add 9 recruits.

August 21

We offer to 4 PGs and 3 bigs. One of the bigs is very iffy, and unless things change we will try to find another big to offer to.

James Meredith graduated from Ole Miss this week. Ruth Ann celebrated as if he were a member of our family.

“Daddy, I have to go to Washington for the March. It’s the biggest thing that ever happened for black people in this country. I simply HAVE TO go!”

Callie and I did some homework and it certainly seems that this “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom” is going to be a huge event, both in terms of numbers and in terms of importance. After giving it a lot of thought we decided that Ruth Ann and I would go together. A friend coaches in the area and we will stay with his family.

August 28

I write this on the bus heading back to Kalamazoo. It is nearly midnight, Ruth Ann is asleep, and I hope that I soon will be.

I am so very thankful that we attended this historic event. I have never seen so many people in my life, most of them black. The event was beautifully planned and executed. There were a few incidents of prejudice but all in all the whole thing went very smoothly.

Dr. King made much of Ruth Ann, and we were very near the front for many of the speakers and musicians.

Most important of all, we were on stage, just off to the side, during the most unbelievable speech I shall ever hear in my life. When Dr. King began saying, “I have a dream,” the entire audience was riveted. By the end almost all of us were in tears, and the applause and cheers were deafening, and went on for a very long time.

After the speech Dr. King was congratulated by many, many people, but he found a moment to come to us and to hug Ruth Ann.

September 18

Kip Sunn, PG, #120 (239 last month), committed.

We had hoped to be invited to a tournament, but it did not happen. We put together a strong schedule, even stronger than last year’s. But this year 6 of 11 of the games are at home.

It is not unknown to me that there are monsters living in our world and in our country. I have first hand knowledge of that, no pun intended. But my heart is broken this week. Three days ago four little black girls were killed when the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, where they were singing and praying, was hit with a bomb thrown by one or more living devils.

The publicity throughout the country and the world is expressing shock and horror. Black people know this is not particularly uncommon, horrible though it is, but we are encouraged that, for the first time, the world seems to notice, and perhaps even to care.

Ruth Ann can barely control herself she is so hurt and angry. We are keeping her home this weekend because she is simply too out of control to go to Detroit.
She has perhaps never been so upset with me. But Callie and grandma agree that we must do this. When Ruth Ann is calmer we will discuss it.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:15 pm

September 25

We got another commitment, and we lost a recruit. J. B. Carn, PG, #161 (240 last month) committed.

October 2

First day of practice. I like what I saw.

We’re picked to win the Mid-American Conference again this year.

Ruth Ann spends every possible moment in Detroit. She calls Donnie and Eddie her “big brothers.” I asked Wallace about that.

“They treat her like a little sister. They’re great with her. Their girlfriends are over often and they really like Ruth Ann, too.”

Wallace seems interested in the executive secretary of the Pistons. We haven’t met her but Ruth Ann says she is “really cool,” and “super nice!”

I haven’t mentioned the injury in some time. No news is good news. Grandma checks it every day or two and she tells me it looks good.

Grandma continues to be our rock. She is a remarkable woman.

October 9

We get two more: Rash Hamm, PG, #422, and Ben Grab, PG, #824. We need some bigs!

October 16

We have a big man. Ime Deng, PF, #384, committed.

Tonight was Wallace’s first game. There’s no substitute for experience and rest. He had 18, 12, and 6 blocks. But the Pistons lost by two. They aren’t very good.

October 23

Wallace called after Ruth Ann got on the bus to come back home from Detroit.

“Dad, something weird happened as we were at the bus station. This man came up to us and told me he was an agent, and that he wanted to talk to me and my ‘girl friend’ about her doing some modeling.”

“Oh no! I hope you-”

“Coming to that, dad. I started to really lay into him. He stopped me, told me he could prove he was legitimate and he was talking about real magazines like Ebony, even Look and Life. I told him we weren’t interested.”

“Good!”

“He gave me his card, and said he could tell that my sister- I straightened him out on that- was leaving. He invited me to come to his offices alone, sometime during the week. He said he had a whole suite. Dad, the address is in the best part of the city. It sure seemed real. He said he didn’t have anything to do with magazines other than the very best, and he was talking about modest photos, nothing at all revealing. He said the money was excellent, and that there would be no problem with her bringing a chaperone. Since she was still in high school, he would insist on it. I think I should check it out.”

“Do that, but don’t commit to anything. Let me know what you find out. If it seems on the up and up maybe we’ll all discuss it here. If Ruth Ann has any interest at all, that is.”

“Okay. The man said Ruth Ann is really beautiful, but more important she has a certain look that sells magazines. He thinks she could be on lots of magazine covers.”

“Well, we’ll see what you find out.”

November 6

Exhibitions tell a great deal, but they do not tell everything. For one thing we play everyone about the same amount of time, and we mix up the combinations, try new things on offense and defense. But they do give some good general indications. First, we think we will be considerably better with the ball this season. Next, we believe we will be very good defensively. Third, we are deep enough that minutes will be difficult to come by. Fourth, we seem much stronger in the back court. Finally, if possible Jay Jax is even better than he was last year. We are feeling very good about the upcoming season. This seems like it will be the best team I have ever coached.

Here’s the lineup: Senior Jay Jax is playing lots of minutes at C, of course, but not so many that he will break down. Every other position is shared. Senior Dave Fox and junior Lane Laws, a transfer from UCLA, will start at guard. You will remember that Lane was not getting minutes so he wanted out, which is how we got him. Backing them, and playing nearly as many minutes, for now, is senior Sal Mann, who started last season. Soph Will Jess, a transfer from my old school, Grambling, will start at SF.

He never played for me but I recruited him to Grambling. Senior Max Jost will start at PF, as he did last year. Backing up all three of the “big man” positions will be junior Wes Winn, who started lots of games for us last season; he won’t start, for now, but his minutes will nearly equal those of Jost and Jess. There may be adjustments, but we really like this lineup. Some good players are left out of the rotation, but if we have injuries, or if someone does not live up to our expectations, we have some good players ready to step in.

We begin the season with USC here, and then travel to Cal Poly, our old Big West rival.

Wallace called back on Thursday.

“This guy is completely legitimate, dad. I saw the offices, the shooting rooms, spoke with a couple of photographers and three models, and a couple of the office staff.

His agency’s headquarters is in New York, on Madison Avenue. They shoot all over the world for the biggest magazines in the world, and it’s all really classy stuff. The money is terrific- way more than I make! Don’t pass this up without at least investigating further.”

Grandma, Callie and I had a long conversation that night as Ruth Ann studied in her room. We decided to discuss the opportunity with Ruth Ann. Part of the logic was that if it made sense for Wallace to play professional basketball in order to put himself on solid financial ground for later in life when he pursued his long term goals, if she were interested it would make sense for Ruth Ann to do the same.

When we discussed it with Ruth Ann she very dismissive of the idea at first. As we went into more detail she began to listen more closely. In the end we decided that she and I would make an appointment with the gentleman, tour the facility, and then decide.

We will go to Detroit next Tuesday. It means that Ruth Ann will miss a day of school, and I a day of work, but it may be worth it. Since grandma would be the chaperone if this goes through, she will attend the meeting as well.

November 13

My daughter signed a contract. She will be paid a small salary- well, not so small for a 16 year old! Above that she will receive money for modeling positions, and based upon where any photos are used, she will be paid accordingly. For major magazines we are talking about a considerable amount of money. They also have her signed for television commercial modeling, which pays even more if it is a network job. They are willing to “shoot” on weekends, and during school vacations. They want to spend the next two weekends having her work with photographers. She needs to learn the intricacies involved. It is all very interesting, and the potential is enormous. Either Wallace or one of us will always accompany her. If this works out at times this will involve flights to places throughout the country, and even the world.

The Pistons are 3-6, about as expected. Wallace is playing very well, 10.2, 8.8, 3.8, and as always, very solid defense. They have played four games at home and at least some of our family members have attended each of them. Wallace gets us excellent seats- free.

Loretta is in her season year. She continues to do very well. She has interviews scheduled with the Pittsburgh symphony orchestra, and a few smaller symphonies. While she loves jazz, and intends to continue playing and composing it, her first love is serious music, and that is where she hopes to spend her life.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:34 pm

November 20

76-65. 24, 10 for Jax, 11, 3 for Jess, 12 for Jost (lotsa J’s!), 10, 5, 2, 2 for Fox. Our bench did good work and only 11 TOs!

59-46 at Cal Poly. Great defense all night long. 19, 8, 2 for Jax, 12, 4 for both Jess and Laws. +9 RBs. 15 TOs but only -2, and 15 isn’t all that bad on the road. Still,
I want us to do better.

#9 Oklahoma ST, 0-1 is here, then we go to 1-1 Utah ST.

One of our recruits, a PF, did not sign. We’ll search for bigs.

Grandma and Ruth Ann enjoyed their weekend at the modeling studio. Grandma says she was told by Mr. Mackey, the manager of the establishment, that using a black face in advertising and other promotions is just now widely accepted enough to work. There is still resistance in much of the South, but not enough to stop this. Ruth Ann is considered “exotic,” and Mr. Mackey really feels that she will do extremely well. Her modeling name will be Vaneece. He feels this will add to the exotic image they are promoting. Surprisingly to our family Ruth Ann loves the idea.

“It will never be my real name but it’s cool!”

November 22

We were on a plane, flying to Utah. The pilot came on.

“Ladies and gentlemen, it is my sad duty to announce that we have just received word that the President of the United States has been shot in Dallas, Texas. We have no further details at this time but we will update you as soon as we know more.”

A while later he announced that the President was in critical condition at Parkland Hospital.

And then came the final announcement: “Ladies and gentlemen, I trust that I will never make a sadder announcement in my life. President Kennedy has died from his injuries. Lyndon B. Johnson will be sworn in as President very shortly. There is no information regarding a suspect or suspects.”

The next few hours and days were the most somber any of us had ever seen. Such a thing was unimaginable. The team huddled together watching the television in my room whenever we were not at practice- we did take that day off. I am certain they all watched TV in their rooms whenever they were not in my room or out at meals.

We discussed a lot of things, of course. One of them was what this might mean for the civil rights movement, and for those of us who are black. John Kennedy and his brothers supported our cause strongly. Johnson, being from Texas, might not be on our side. Time would tell.

The Utah ST game was scheduled for the 24th, and it was decided to play it.

November 27

It is difficult to concentrate on basketball after the events of this insane, tragic week, but let me report.

73-61 over #9 OK ST. 28, 4 for Jax, 12, 4, 2 for Jost, 6, 10 for Jess. Only 9 TOs. The first 24 minutes were close. They led by as many as six. We made some halftime adjustments but it took a bit of time before they paid off. Finally, they did. We slowed down their PG, who had 19 in the first half, and that made the difference.

80-49 at Utah ST. I asked my players to try to forget about all the tragedy and insanity, and to focus on basketball for two hours. They certainly did! 26, 16, 2, 2 for Jax. 14, 6, 2 for Jess, 13, 4 for reserve guard Sal Mann, 10, 4 for Jost. Only 9 TOs. +14 RBs.

It’s early but we are averaging 11.5 TOs per game. I love it!

We are ranked! #22.

This week we play #17 Florida, 3-2, there. Then we’re home with 2-1 Miami (FL).

Ruth Ann has her first modeling job. She and grandma fly to Miami on Friday afternoon, and they will return here on Sunday. All expenses are paid, and Ruth Ann will be paid- well, she will be paid considerably more than Callie and I make combined for a week’s work, closer to our combined monthly income. We are told that if she becomes successful the money will increase greatly.

Ruth Ann was devastated by the assassination of the President, of course, but Dr. King called during that terrible weekend and told her that everyone needed to remain strong, and work even harder at helping our people, and at meeting personal goals. As always, he inspired her.

December 4

70-82. This was our first loss, and it was the first time we did not take care of the ball- 21 TOs. Our defense was terrible, they shot 58%. Fox fouled out in 20 minutes which did not help. Jax was his usual self with 31, 8, 3, 2.

92-43 over Miami (FL). We certainly bounced back! 29, 11 for Jax, between 6 and 9 points for six others, 35 RBs (+14), 8 TOs (+10).

This week we are on the road. First it’s 2-2 Gonzaga, then 4-3 UNLV, two tough teams.

“I never thought modeling was such hard work! They must have taken 1,000 pictures of me on Saturday. I was so exhausted when we finished I just slept in the hotel. They said they loved the pictures though.”

“What was it for?”

“Some kind of car. I don’t remember.”

“Pictures on the beach for a car?”

“They had the car right on the edge of the water. It was fun before it lasted so long. I was in a beautiful bathing suit. Don’t worry, it wasn’t revealing. Can I keep a little of the money when it gets here?”

“Yes. We’ve discussed all of that somewhat but we probably should do so again now that it has become a reality. And you need to pay grandma.”

“I already plan to, but I want to talk to you about how much.”

She planned to go to Detroit to work for SCLC on the weekend since she did not have a shoot lined up.

President Johnson made passing voting rights and other civil rights legislation a top priority, which was a pleasant surprise.

The Pistons are 5-15 and have lost their last six. They have had injuries, but not enough to account for this. They simply are not very good. Wallace is having a very good year so far, 12.9, 9.2, 3.6.

He says his coach has told him that several teams want to trade for him.
“I hate that part of the business. You never know where you’re going to be.”
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports