Grambling Rose

Re: Grambling Rose

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:45 pm

December 11

79-76 at Gonzaga. 34, 12, 3, 2 for Jax, 12, 5, 5, 2 for Sal Mann from the bench, and 10, 5, 2 for Wes Winn, also from the bench. 44 RBs (+21).

78-55 at UNLV. We didn’t play our starters any more than we had to. Six players in double figures, all 5 starters plus Wes Winn. 6 TOs!

We’re at home for the rest of 1963. This week we play 5-4 Purdue, then 4-4 New Mexico ST.

We’re 7-1. +16.3 PPG, +11.5 RBPG, +2.5 TOPG (11.8).

We decide to start Winn in place of Jost. He is playing really well.

Ruth Ann got into modeling a bit too late in the season for the Christmas ads. Those are shot during the summer. Her car commercial will start airing in January. As a result she hadn’t gotten another offer but she just got a call from Ebony. They do not pay as well as others, but the money is still good. This weekend she will be in New York, with grandma, to model fashions. Mr. Mackey is serving as her agent. The other models at the agency say he is the best, and that he will get her work.

Loretta will interview with the prestigious Pittsburgh symphony during the December school break. She is thrilled.

71-60 over Purdue. 22, 6 for Jax, good play by lots of people. The game was not as close as the final score. 9 TOs.

Jay Jax strained abdominals. He is out for about 10 days. This will test us.

70-40 over New Mexico ST. A great team effort made up for not having Jax. 15, 11 for Jess, 16, 2, 3, 4 for Laws, 9, 10 for Jost, 14, 2, 3, 2 for Mann. 36 RBs, 11 TOs.

Only one game this week, here against 3-6 Nevada. It should be the last game Jax misses with this injury.

December 25

73-57 over Nevada. 18, 7, 2 for Jost, 14, 8 for Jess, 9, 10 for Winn, 9, 2, 5, 2 for Mann, 11, 2, 3 for Laws. 39 RBs, but 16 TOs.

We finish pre-conference play at 10-1. +17.0 PPG, +10.9 RBPG, +2.3 TOPG. Ranked #25, RPI #15.

This week we play 6-5 Eastern Michigan here.

Ruth Ann said the shoot was less grueling than the one in Miami. She said it was fun for a while but then she got sick of changing outfits. Again, the director said she
did really well. We have agreed on what percentage she will pay grandma. Grandma fought it but in the end we insisted.

“I’ll just leave all of it to Ruth Ann in my will.”

Loretta’s interview is in three days so she will leave here earlier than she would have, but this is an exciting opportunity. The position is for someone to play piano, organ, and celesta, all of which she plays. There will be an audition and an interview.

The Pistons are 7-20 but Wallace is at 11.8, 9.8. 4.2

Wallace was with us on Christmas eve and left for Detroit immediately after Christmas dinner, which we had at noon, since he had to catch the team flight to Baltimore.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:36 am

January 1, 1964

66-48 over Eastern Michigan. Jay Jax is back- 17, 14, 2, 2. 10 each for Winn, Laws, and Mann, and 9 for Jess. 10 TOs.

This week we’re on the road, first at 6-6, 0-1 Central Michigan, then at 3-9, 0-1 Northern Illinois.

January 8

63-45 at Central Michigan. 24, 10 for Jax, 13, 5 for Mann. +12 RBs.

69-55 at Northern Illinois. 17, 7, 4 for Jax, 18, 3, 2 for Jess, 11 for Mann.

This week we host 9-6, 2-1 Ball ST, then travel to 6-8, 2-1 Toledo.

We are up to #18 in the polls.

Sal Mann is getting more minutes. He’s lighting it up.

Loretta did not get the job with the Pittsburgh Symphony but she has an interview with the Cleveland Symphony, which may be even more prestigious.

Ruth Ann is working hard at the Detroit offices of SCLC. Her agent says when the car ad hits next week he expects to be flooded with offers for her.

The Pistons are 1-8 in their last 9, an overtime win. Wallace continues to play well, and he says his coach says he should expect to be traded soon. Detroit feels they can get a starter and either a sixth man or a high draft choice for him.

January 15

76-84 to Ball ST here. We let them shoot 57.1%. We were just sluggish all night long on defense. Winn and Laws were in foul trouble all night and played 16 and 15 minutes, and Fox played 22, for the same reason. 22, 7, 2 for Jax, 16, 8 for Jess, 15, 3, 2, 4 for Mann but no one else did anything.

70-51 at Toledo. 18, 9 for Jax, 16, 4, 2 for Laws, 13, 3, 6 for Mann. Our starting guards were in foul trouble all night but Sal Mann filled in really well.

We’re at 5-11, 2-3 Ohio, then home with 10-6, 3-2 Akron.

Ruth Ann’s ad hit. We saw it. She really does look beautiful, and the ad is well done. It will take a few days for the reaction to come in, according to her agent.

Wallace is waiting for a phone call but he is still a Piston.

January 22

86-73 at Ohio in OT. We slept for 40 minutes and then outscored Ohio 13-0 in OT. 41, 8, 2 for Jax, the most points he has scored in a college game. 11 TOs. We were lucky to escape, given how poorly we played, except for Jax, but then he can carry us. He did tonight.

73-65 over Akron here. 21, 9 for Jax, 14,4 for Jess, 11, 5 for Mann. +11 RBs.

We’re not really playing well right now. Three of the past four games have shown less than our best. Midseason slump? Fatigue? Hard to say. Still, we have the best record in conference and only two teams, Kent ST and Ball ST are one back of us, and we’re 16-2, 6-1.

We’re up to #15 in the polls. RPI #12.

We go to 7-11, 2-5 Buffalo, then host 7-12, 3-4 Bowling Green.

Loretta did not get the Cleveland Symphony job, but she was told she was their second choice. She has just applied to the San Francisco Symphony.

“Daddy, wouldn’t it be wonderful to be in San Francisco. It’s so beautiful!”

I agree. My hope is for our family to settle in the Bay area.

Buick, the car company where Ruth Ann did the ad wants to sign her to an exclusive contract. Mr. Mackey says it won’t happen.

When I asked why he said, “Because I’m asking for a three year contract at $275,000 a year.”

I almost fainted. He says negotiations are ongoing. He also says that both Johnny Carson and Merv Griffin want her on their shows. The money is nothing but the exposure, according to him, is “worth its weight in gold.”

“I want to get her a BIG job. That might swing the deal with Buick. We’d settle for $250,000, maybe $225,000. But no less. I think she has unlimited potential.”

Wallace was traded to Los Angeles for the Lakers starting Center and a second round draft choice.

“I can’t believe it! Jerry West and Elgin Baylor! Fred Schaus says he thinks I can get 20 a game because defenses need to focus on West and Baylor. He wants to work on my inside game, but he says he loves my defense and rebounding. I asked to renegotiate because living in L. A. is so expensive. He asked how I felt about tearing up my contract, signing me for this year and three more at $15,000 a year more than I’m making now. We sign tomorrow. Dad, I didn’t want to play five years in the NBA but I can’t refuse this kind of money. I’ve already saved a bundle, and now I can save a lot more.”

I guess I’d have to say my children are doing well! Now if Loretta can land that job in San Francisco they will all be doing wonderfully!

Callie and I talked about the future. While we like Kalamazoo, we will be losing Jay Jax this year. That very likely means we won’t do as well next year. If we get a job offer with a school in a major conference this might be the year to move. We’ll see what happens. I still want to move only once more, and I may not yet have what I need to get that major conference job.

January 29

59-62 at Buffalo. 20 lead changes, 14 ties. But the bottom line is that we played poorly. Then with 93 seconds left and the score tied Jax turned an ankle moving toward the basket. They called a travel, which it was, but he had to come out, and didn’t recover quickly enough to go back in. That was that. We shot poorly, and our guards were in foul trouble again tonight. Jax had 18 and 11, Jess had 15, 5, 2.

Jax is day to day. He probably will not miss a game.

We clearly have work to do. The staff met after the game and we came up with some things to try.

66-44 over Bowling Green here. 28, 15 for Jax, 12 each for Jess and Laws. 12 TOs. +14 RBs.

This week it’s 13-7, 6-3 Kwent ST here, and then 7-13, 3-6 Miami (OH) there.

That PF did not hit our SAT score so we have a scholarship to give.

“Chanel #5 wants her BADLY. I told them $400,000 a year for five years and they have an exclusive. We batted it back and forth and I finally said, ‘Look, let’s do a test ad to see what kind of a reaction we get. $40,000 for a single. We settled at $30,000. They want to shoot next weekend in Paris. I think they might go for $375,000 a year if the reaction is what I think it will be.”

My head is spinning. Ruth Ann is a junior in high school and she is about to make $30,000 for a day’s work? Has the world gone mad? Mr. Mackey said Chanel is a worldwide brand. They want the exotic look that will appeal everywhere, and that will instantly tie to their product. “Vaneece” will give them that, or at least Mr. Mackey says she will.

He says if we get the contract they will do 5-6 ads a year with her, probably 6, so that there is something fresh coming at people every other month. The ads will be in all of the magazines that women read, and they will be on television.

Ruth Ann was happiest about the fact that she would have more time to work for Dr. King.

“If I only need to work six weeks a year the rest of the time I’m free. After next year I want to work for Dr. King full time.”

“What about college?”

“Yes, I’ll go part time for now. I want a degree, but this work is more important. Oh, I told Mr. Mackey that it has to be in my contract with Chanel that I can work for Dr. King. He said he called them and they said that’s okay but if I engage in anything violent that breaks the contract. I’m fine with that. Dr. King is totally against violence. That would never happen.”

The Lakers are in third place in the West, and they have a winning record. Wallace will be in the playoffs for the first time. That is exciting, and it also means more money.

In his first three games with the Lakers he has averaged 18.8, 9.8, and 4.5. He says Coach Schaus is thrilled. The fact that L. A. won all three games did not hurt.

He is sharing a small apartment with Dick Barnett and Gene Wiley. He says he is paying about twice in housing expenses what he was in Detroit, but Barnett is a great cook so the two of them share the cooking.

“Dad, the women around here are amazing. Most of them are gorgeous.”

“Watch out, son.”

“Oh, no problem. You know me. I’m only interested in a serious relationship. I want to settle down.”

“No hurry, son.”

“I only want to do it once, dad. I’m not going to rush.”

Loretta has not yet heard from the San Francisco Symphony.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:25 am

February 5

70-57 over Kent ST here. 26, 9, 2 for Jax, 11, 6, 4, 4 for Jess, 11, 3, 3, 3 for Laws. 10 TOs.

92-75 at Miami (OH). 33, 9 for Jax, 14, 8, 5, 2 for Jess, 13, 2, 6, 2 for Mann, 12, 4 for Winn, 11 for Laws with 5 steals. +14 TOs, +6 RBs. But the defense was awful.
We let them shoot 60%.

At 13-9, 7-4 Eastern Michigan. We won by 18 here. Then we’re home against 11-11, 5-6 Central Michigan.

We’re now #14, RPI #16. We’re one up on Ball ST, 2 or more on the rest.

February 12

52-45 at Eastern Michigan. 23, 15 for Jax, 11, 8 for Jess, 9, 4, 3 for Mann. We are so erratic. Tonight the defense was great but the offense was sluggish. We seem to be a different team every night.

71-49 over Central Michigan. 28, 8, 3, 2, 2 for Jax, 14, 3, 3 for Laws, 11, 3, 7 for Mann. +15 RBs. Our second straight very good defensive game.

We now have a two game lead over Toledo and Ball ST with 3 to play. We’re #13, RPI #14.

We start the week here with 7-17, 4-9 Northern Illinois. We won by 14 there. Then we go to 16-9, 9-4 Ball ST. They beat us here by 8. This could be a difficult game.

Wallace is averaging 18.9, 9.5, 4.7. He loves L. A.

“San Francisco is my dream town but L. A. is really something!”

Loretta has an interview with the San Francisco Symphony for the last week in February. They took a long time to answer her application and she feared she would not get the chance.

The Chanel shoot was completed in Paris. Ruth Ann said it went well. She was all but overwhelmed by the city. Chanel wants to rush this one, which means it will hit the magazines and television by the first week in April.

I should note that Ruth Ann does not look her age. Folks usually think she is in her mid to late 20s.

February 19

77-56 over Northern Illinois. 25, 16, 3, 2 for Jax, 17, 13 for Jess. 45 RBs and 7 TOs.

Max Jost hurt his wrist. He will probably be able to play in our next game, but not at 100%.

Only Toledo is 2 back with 2 to play as Ball ST lost yesterday.

72-64 over Ball ST. 5 players in double figures. 12 TOs.

Toledo lost so we’re 3 up with 1 to play.

Wes Winn hurt his toe. He is out for about 10 days.

We play 15-10 Gonzaga again this year in the Bracket Breaker, here; we won by only 3 early in the season there. Then we close at home with 14-12, 10-5 Toledo. We won by 19 there.

February 26

73-75 against Gonzaga. Fouls beat us. The refs called an utterly ridiculous 45 of them, 25 against us. We were 22-27 from the line. Gonzaga was 37-41. They scored the last 4 points of the games on free throws, both on terrible calls. The game was too close for me to take a technical but it was difficult to stay in control. After the game I expressed my feelings. No doubt the NCAA will fine me. There is no freedom of speech where officials are concerned. 19, 7, 2 for Jax, 19, 2, 3, 2 for Jess, 8, 8, 3 for Ad Wood, filling in for Winn. Jost was ineffective starting for Winn. This was a very frustrating evening.

65-49 over Toledo. 23, 13, 2, 3 for Jax, 14, 3 for Jess, 12, 3 for Mann. +13 RBs and good defense.

We end the regular season 24-4, 14-2, #10, RPI #14. We are 4 games up on Toledo and Eastern Michigan, and we will host the tournament.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:10 pm

March 6

Northern Illinois, 10-18, 6-10, upset Buffalo, so we play them in the round of 8. We beat them by 14 and 21 in the regular season.

March 7

78-61. 18, 7 for Jax, 17, 7 for Jess. 4 TOs for the entire game!

Akron, 17-12, 8-8 is our opponent in the semifinals.

March 8

78-59. 30 for Jax, 17, 9 for Winn, 12, 2, 4, 2 for Jess. 8 TOs.

It’s 19-11, 9-7 Kent St for the title. We won by 13 in our only meeting.

March 9

85-74 in OT and the title! Another game where we did not play well in regulation then dominated in OT. In regulation their backcourt just killed us, 47 points.

Fortunately our inside game was strong, as usual, 24, 6, 2 for Jax, 23, 9, 2, 3 for Jess, 11, 7 for Winn. Mann had 11, 2, 3, 3 and Laws 10, 4, 5. They hit a 25 footer to tie it at the end of regulation but we never gave them a chance in overtime. +15 RBs.

Now we wait for selection day. I can see us getting a 4 or 5 seed. We are 27-4, we won our tourney, we’re #9, RPI #14.

Loretta just got word that she is invited for a 2nd interview in San Francisco. She is thrilled.

March 12

#5 in the East. We play #12 seed Jackson ST, 24-5. It wasn’t that long ago that I was an assistant there.

Ruth Ann mentioned that Malcolm X left the Black Muslims.

“Dr. King is very pleased. He feels that Malcolm is very intelligent, and he is a powerful speaker and leader. The Muslims are so violent, and so separatist that Dr. King feels Malcolm is ready to take a more sensible, conciliatory approach. But he says this is dangerous. The Black Muslims do not like it when they lose a big name.”

March 16

77-55 over Jackson ST. 38, 10 for Jax. They had no answers for him. 8 TOs, +12 RBs.

We play #4 seed, #7 ranked Charlotte, 29-4, in the round of 32. They are definitely a good team but they have had trouble beating other really good teams. A win here would take us to our first ever Sweet Sixteen.

March 18

85-64, and we’re in the Sweet Sixteen! 29, 10, 4 for Jax, 18, 4, 3 for Laws, 10, 5, 4, 2 for Mann, 8, 7, 3 for Winn, 7, 6, 3 for Jess. We led throughout but really broke it open in the 2nd half. 11 TOs, 39 RBs. This is my biggest win as a head coach.

Our reward is that we will face #1 seed, #1 in the country Kentucky. They are very, very good at guard. Our only chance is to play the game inside where we may be a bit stronger. We need to play our absolute best and stay out of foul trouble. I do not think we have a great chance, but we do have a chance. With Jay Jax we always have a chance.

March 23

63-80. We fell behind early, we got into foul trouble, and we had 19 TOs. To be fair, they were definitely the better team. Their SG and SF were amazing, accounting for 49. 32 and 7 for Jay Jax in his final game.

I am very proud of my players. It was a wonderful season.

I will go to the Final Four in Minneapolis.

Loretta feels she did well in her interview and audition. She is hopeful and optimistic.

The Lakers finished the season at 42-38 and face St. Louis in the playoffs. Wallace averaged 18.9, 9.7, 4.6. Except for Russell and Chamberlain he was as good as any center in the league.

April 4

#2 Michigan St beat #4 Kansas, 88-83 for the title.

I met lots of people and renewed acquaintances with even more. There was some talk of head coaching positions.

Awards: Jay Jax made 2nd team All American. We had a much better team this year so his numbers were not as good as last year. Frankly, he had a better year, but our games are not high profile, and that hurt him. In conference Jax was POY and 1st team along with soph Will Jess. I was Coach of the Year again.

Wallace and the Lakers lost the best of 5 series to St. Louis in 5 games. He had a very good series, 21.4, 11.3, 3.6.

The Chanel ad hit today. The Buick ad really went over well. Ruth Ann, or Vaneece, is THE model. Carson and Griffin and all of the others still want her. Mr. Mackey changed his mind and now thinks we would do better to maintain the mystery, so we refused their offers. He said his phone is ringing off the wall for modeling engagements. He still feels our best strategy is to do an exclusive. We might lose a little money but Ruth Ann would not need to work for more than six weeks or so per year, and she wouldn’t need to worry about over exposure.

Loretta was offered the job with the San Francisco symphony. She will begin on May 18, three days after graduation. She has friends in the area and will stay with them while she searches for housing.

April 9

The phone rang several times with offers but none of them were at all tempting. Callie finishes her course work this coming year so we really do want to stay at least one more year. She can do her thesis work anywhere so next spring we can stay or go. And Ruth Ann will be a high school senior, so that’s another reason to stay.

We sign a big, Marq Higs, C, #181.

April 16

We sign Todd Lee, PF, #143. We wind up with 4 PGs, 3 bigs.

Ruth Ann’s Chanel ad was received VERY well. The Chanel people really want to sign her.

April 23

We ask for a budget increase. We do not get it.

We end my best season ever at 29-5. After 7 seasons I am at 156-62, .716. Off-38, Def-62, Recruit-85, Scout-75, Player Dev-55, Reputation-34.

Next season may well be a rebuilding year. With only three players with lots of experience back a great deal depends upon the recruits.

Mr. Mackey signed Ruth Ann to an exclusive contract with Chanel for 5 years, 6 ad shoots a year, for $385,000 a year.

Ruth Ann wants to donate as much as possible to SCLC. I talked her down to 10% per year. She will pay grandma 5%, Mr. Mackey gets 15%. 70% of $385,000 is $269,500. Half of that goes to the government so she is left with about $135,000 a year. She should be worth, with compound interest, at least $600,000 to
$650,000 in five years, perhaps even more. She could not be less interested.

“It just means I can work for Dr. King without needing to worry about money.”

She still plans to go to college part time after she graduates high school next year.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:28 pm

May 1

We get the usual Gold national report.

May 15

The entire family attended Loretta’s graduation from Juilliard. Then we all helped her pack for her move to the Bay area. She will stay with two members of the symphony, the only other females in the orchestra, a flautist and a clarinetist. Both are in their 20s.

May 23

Ruth Ann and Callie just returned from a photo shoot in Egypt. It was done with the Sphinx and the Pyramids as background.

Ruth Ann is spending most of the summer in Detroit, working for the branch office of SCLC. She is, at least so far, completely unspoiled by all of the attention and money she is receiving. Mr. Mackey is still refusing all interviews and television appearances.

June 5

We look at the transfer pool. We struck gold once here, with Jay Jax. Could it happen again?

We don’t see any gold but we are looking at a few players.

June 12

We go after a center.

June 16

We get him.

June 21

Three Freedom Summer workers, Michael Schwerner, James Chaney, and James Goodman disappear in Mississippi. This is NOT good.

June 26

We have three scholarships to fill. We need, as usual, guards, at least 2. We’re looking at 7 PGs, 3 PFs, 2 Cs for now.

Jay Jax went last in the first round in the draft.

“She’s great, dad. I hope you can meet her soon.”

“She” is Lu Merrell, screenwriter at Warner Brothers. She wrote, really more like edited and “punched up” movie scripts. Wallace met her through a mutual friend, back in March. Evidently they have grown fond of each other.

“We spend a lot of time together but I’m taking it slow, dad. I have a good feeling though.”

Loretta phones often. She has settled in and is rehearsing regularly with the Symphony. Her first concert is next week.

July 2

Congress passes the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the broadest increase in freedoms for our people since the freeing of the slaves- more than even that really, since that did not actually do a great deal for us except to allow us to move around a bit more freely.

July 23

“Race riots” in Harlem and Rochester, New York. Things are truly heating up. Ruth Ann is remaining calm, working hard.

July 25

Kid camp is over. We do not have nearly the team we had last year. We look like we will be fairly strong inside, but Lane Laws is our only returning guard.

August 4

This is a terribly bad day. The bodies of Michael Schwerner, James Chaney, and James Goodman were found in a dam. They had all been shot, and at least one had been horribly beaten.

August 21

We offer to 2 PGs and a PF. One of the PGs is iffy regarding hitting our SAT score but we really like him so we decided to gamble.

The summer has continued to be intense with lots of civil rights demonstrations in lots of cities. Many black people feel our time has come, and feel that if they demand their rights it will accelerate the process. I’m not so sure.

Wallace and Lu are still together. He brought her here for a visit. She is charming, clearly intelligent, and lovely.

Loretta has had two performances with the symphony. She plays the celesta and when two pianos are needed she plays the second piano. She loves what she’s doing, and loves her life in San Francisco.

“Dad, it’s pretty new, but I’m seeing one of the cellists. He seems like a nice guy, and he composes and arranges, so we have a lot in common. His name is Mark… He’s white.”

That would have been incredibly dangerous in Louisiana but in San Francisco it seems no one cares.

“Dad, I have a boyfriend. He started working here at SCLC at the start of the summer. He lives in Battle Creek, not far from here at all. His name is Calvin.”

My children are growing up too quickly! To tell the truth two of them ARE grown up and the third is close. Callie and I are not ready for this!

September 18

PG Rod Arp, #117, has committed; he is a juco. We feel we are close with the other two.

We are backing off on the schedule this year. We do not have a strong enough team to take on the type of schedule we had last year. We are playing two ranked teams, one at home, one on the road.

Wallace has begun practice. The Lakers feel that they have a chance to win their conference this year, and to challenge the Celtics for the league championship.

Ruth Ann is back in school. She is our only one in school, well, Callie is also in school.

Ruth Ann went to a shoot in London, and another in New Orleans. Her photos are in all of the leading magazines and on TV promoting Chanel #5.

Grandma keeps rolling along. She just turned 78, and she is as active as ever.

September 25

Center Josh Oat, #480, has committed.

October 2

PG Pat Lyn, #111, has committed. He’s the one with the possibility of not hitting our SAT score.

First day of practice. We will have our work cut out for us.

We are picked first in conference again but we will not run away with it this year. That much seems certain.

October 18

The Lakers won their opener, on the road. Wallace had 17, 9, 4 blocks.

November 6

Here’s the lineup: Senior Lane Laws and soph Bid Dens will start at guard. We couldn’t decide between freshmen Brad Grol and Kit Sun as backup so they will split time until one of them emerges. Dave Meek a freshmen we redshirted last year, is at SF. Senior Wes Winn will start at PF and back up at SF. Junior Will Jess will start at C. Freshman Jed Lann will back up at 4 and 5. He looked very good in the exhibitions, and has looked good in practice.

November 15

We all go to Detroit to see Wallace and the Lakers play the Pistons. They win. Wallace has 26, 12, and 6. The Lakers are 10-4, off to a great start.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:32 pm

November 20

80-50 over Jacksonville here. The guards led the way, 21 for Dens, 12, 2, 5 for Laws, 15 for the backup guards. 9 TOs.

56-39 over Utah ST here. 20, 4 for Jess, 13, 4 for Laws, 8 and 8 for Meek, 9, 6 for Winn. This was a completely different type of game from the last. +10 RBs but 18 TOs.

Wes Winn hurt his shoulder. Day to day.

Pitt and Fresno ST, both here, this week.

Not a surprise but that guard we were worried about with the SAT did not sign.

November 27

92-70 over Pitt. 29, 9, 3 for Jess, 23, 3, 2 for Jens, 15, 10 for Meek, 11, 5 for Laws.

Dave Meek strained a hamstring. He’s out for two weeks. We’ll start Jed Lann.

73-49 over Fresno ST here. 19, 5, 4 for Laws, 12, 7 for Lann in his first start. 5 others had either 8 or 7 points. 7 TOs, 37 RBs.

I may have underestimated my team. In any case so far I am pleased.

Chattanooga here, then Murray ST for our first road game.

Just grandma, Ruth Ann, Callie and me for Thanksgiving, but it was nice. Grandma is the world’s greatest cook.

“I broke up with Lu. She said she could never live anywhere but L. A. I could be traded tomorrow, and after I’m through playing I’ll go wherever I can get a coaching job at a good school."

Loretta seems to be getting serious with her violinist.

Ruth Ann likes having a boyfriend but she never seems to get very deeply involved with whichever boy she is going with. I think she is too committed to her cause to let a boy get in the way.

December 4

72-55 over Chattanooga. 22 each for Laws and Dens, 14, 4, 3 for Lann, 8, 8, 4 for Jess. 6 TOs.

58-72 at Murray ST. 18 TOs, foul trouble, poor shooting. 15, 4, 2, 2 for Jess, 11, 6, 4 for Dens.

This week we’re at 3-3 Gonzaga, then 3-3 Penn ST. Crazy schedule. First 5 were at home, next 6 on the road.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:25 am

December 11

56-67 at Gonzaga. 28, 8 for Jess, but no one else had more than 6. -5 TOs, -5 RBs.

Dave Meek is back. He’ll start our next game. Lann did a very good job filling in. He is earning more minutes.

59-47 at Penn ST. 14, 6 for Jess, 10, 6 for Lann, 103, 2 for Dens, 9 each for Meek and Laws. 12 TOs.

At 4-2 Cincinnati, then at 6-3 Columbia.

Dr. King was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize yesterday.

December 18

65-82 at Cincinnati. They got off to a big early lead. After the first 10 minutes we played them even, but it was too late. 23, 7, 2 for Jess, 13, 7, 6 for Laws, 10, 5 for Wins. 35 RBs but 17 TOs.

68-61 at Columbia. 27, 3, 4 for Dens, 12, 5 for Winn. The final score was our biggest lead. This one was a battle.

We close pre-conference play at 4-3 Rhode Island.

Callie and Ruth Ann saw Wallace play at Detroit again this week. The Lakers won in OT. Wallace had 24 and 9, with 7 blocks. The Lakers are first in the West, with the 2nd best record in the league, to the Celtics. I was on the road with the team so I missed the game.

Jay Jax was drafted by the Celtics. He is the first big man off the bench and is doing well. He and I call each other about once a week. I stay in touch with all of my former players. At times I am able to help some of them in various ways.

December 25

68-53 at Rhode Island. 19, 8, 3 for Jess, 12 for Sun, 11 for Meek, 8, 12, 4 for Winn.

I am thrilled that we went 8-3 in pre-conference play. RPI #45. I never expected to do that well, especially with 6 of those games being on the road. +9.3 PPG, +6.3 RBPG, +0.9 TOPG.

We start conference play at home with 7-4 Ball ST, our only game of the week.

Loretta was able to come home for the holiday; she brought Mark, who had proposed to her a few days before. She said yes. So we were all together except for Wallace.

Ruth Ann’s television Christmas ad for Chanel was the ad of the season. People all around the world loved it. Mr. Mackey says Chanel has never sold as much perfume as since she began doing their ads. He says he is thinking of asking for either a bonus or a new contract for more money. Ruth Ann doesn’t care. She invests everything through a broker, except for a very small percentage. She does not have expensive tastes but she loves music and books, so she spends some money there. She has a new boyfriend, Malcolm.

“As soon as they get serious they’re gone.”

Oh, Chanel came through with a $50,000 bonus for Ruth Ann. We just got word this minute.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:03 am

January 1, 1965

84-66 over Ball ST here. 18, 7, 4 for Laws,. All 5 starters were in double figures. We led all the way.

At 5-7, 0-1 Central Michigan and then here with 4-8, 1-0 Northern Illinois.

Chanel plans ad shoots for Ruth Ann in Athens, San Francisco, Rome, Venice, Buenos Aires, and old Quebec this year.

January 8

68-60 at Central Michigan. 14, 5, 2 for Laws, 12, 8, 3 for Jess, 12 for Winn. We took control late, but never led by more than 11.

58-44 over Northern Illinois here. Another solid team effort with 6 players scoring between 8 and 13. +8 RBs but we’re turning it over too much lately.

Lane Laws sprained his wrist. He’ll be out about a week.

This week we host 12-3, 3-0 Toledo, the only other 3-0 team in conference- and without Laws. Then we go to 9-5, 2-1 Eastern Michigan, and Laws will likely miss that game as well.

January 15

62-37 over Toledo here. 16, 12, 2 for Winn, 14, 6 for Meek, 12, 8 for Jess, 11 for Dens. Sun moved the ball well and played very good defense.

Laws will play here and there in our next game, but not too many minutes.

64-53 at Eastern Michigan. 13, 13, 2 for Jess, 17 for Meek, +8 RBs.

We host 6-11, 1-4 Miami (OH), then travel to 8-8, 3-2 Akron.

Only Toledo is one game back. Everyone else is 2 or more. This team has exceeded my expectations so far. We are doing it with teamwork. Seven players are contributing, and #8 and #9 are ready to step in, and do when needed.

I missed another of Wallace’s games in Detroit, but the rest of the family was there. The Lakers continue to lead the West and Wallace continues to put up very good numbers.

January 22

68-49 over Miami (OH). 21, 4 for Winn, 18, 7, 3 for Jess, good guard play. 10 TOs.

69-62 at Akron. 20, 8 for Jess, but he fouled out. We’ve avoided major foul trouble for the most part this year. 15, 4 for Lann, 12, 6, 2 for Laws, 11, 4, 3 for Dens. 12 TOs.

Toledo lost so we are 2 up on the conference at 15-3, 7-0. RPI is #22.

We go to 10-8, 3-4 Bowling Green then host 9-9, 4-3 Ohio.

“Dad, you’ll never believe it! I was at rehearsal yesterday. The pianist is out with a bad cold, maybe the flu. Anyway, the conductor was called out of the room. He was gone at least 10 minutes, maybe 15. When he came back he looked at me and said, ‘Miss Rose, there’s a gentleman to see you. He is in my office.’ I had no idea what to expect. When I opened the door and went into his office I saw Frank Sinatra!

“He said, ‘Hey kid. I’m in kind of a jam and Maestro Krips says you can help me out.’ I could barely speak but I told him I would certainly try. It seems his regular piano player, Bill Miller, was involved in a traffic accident. He was not badly hurt but he banged his head and was dizzy, and the doctors insisted he stay overnight in the hospital for observation.”

“I’m playing a big benefit in town tonight and I don’t have a piano. How about we spend the day working on my stuff? Think you can handle it?”

“Dad, you know, I listen to his music all the time, and you’ve heard me play the piano arrangements from his records. I told him I was quite familiar with a great deal of his music. He smiled. The first song we did was, ‘One for my Baby.’ I killed it!”

“He said, ‘Kid, I think we’re gonna be okay.’”

“We worked all the songs he wanted to do that night, spent about three hours. Then he said, ‘You’re okay, kid. We’re ready. I’ll send the limo for you.’ Then he walked out.”

We did the gig and it went great. At the end, just before his final encore, he told the story of why I was there, asked me to stand up, and had the audience give me a hand. Then we killed, ‘One for my Baby.’”

“When things quieted down he said, ‘Kid, you did real good. Give me your number and maybe we can work together again.’ Then he handed me something, shook my hand, and left. When I got into the limo he had waiting to take me home I looked at the paper. It was a check for $1,000. I will NEVER forget this, dad!”

January 29

45-59 at Bowling Green. We were probably overdue for a game like this after a 9 game win streak. We shot 28.3%, and despite that we were still in it with about 6 minutes left. The only guys who did anything were Meek with 13, and Lann with 9 and 8.

67-51 over Ohio here. 21, 3, 3 for Laws, 12, 2, 4 for Dens, 10, 5, 3 for Jess. 12 TOs.

Back to a 2 game lead.

At 10-10, 5-4 Buffalo, then here with 15-7, 6-3 Kent ST, a really good team.

That kid we thought wouldn’t hit the SAT score didn’t. We’re looking for a guard.

Grandma is ill. She never gets ill. She says it’s a stomach bug, and she’s been in her room for two days. She only leaves to use the bathroom. She isn’t eating much but we bring her tea and soup.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:33 pm

February 5

65-51 at Buffalo. 20 and 4 for Jess, 17, 5, 5, 5 for Laws. 19 TOs but Buffalo had 25. It was that kind of game.

76-62 over Kent ST here. 16, 9, 2, 3 for Jess, 13 for Laws. 11 TOs.

At 13-9, 6-5 Ball ST. We beat them by 18 here. Then 11-11, 6-5 Central Michigan comes to town. We won by only 8 there.

Only Toledo is 2 back.

We’re finally ranked. #23, RPI #17.

We’re still trying to find a guard to offer that final scholarship to. We add 4 recruits to the list, including a good looking juco from here in Michigan.

More than 100 U. S. military personnel are killed at Pleiku, in Vietnam. Ruth Ann asks why there are even 100 there.

Loretta is still on a cloud over the Sinatra concert. Her conductor, Maestro Krips tells her she needs to get an agent. He says Tony Bennett and Bobby Darin have called.

February 12

58-47 at Ball ST. 21, 7, 2, 2 for Jess, 23, 3, 2 for Laws. 12 TOs.

69-68 with Central Michigan here. They took an early 13 point lead; it was 10 at the half. We kept chipping away, but were never able to take the lead until our last possession. Down 1 we got the ball with 8 seconds left, brought it down, got it to Dave Meek behind a screen, and he made a 16 footer as the clock expired. 17, 3 for Lann, 13, 5, 4 for Mekk, 11 each for Jess and Winn.

This week we’re on the road, first at 5-19, 2-11 Northern Illinois. We beat them by 14 here. Then it’s our rival, 19-6, 10-3 Toledo. We won by 25 here but that does not mean a great deal. They are a good team.

We’re 2 up on Toledo, 4 or more on the rest, with 3 to play. Ranked #20, RPI #12.

The Lakers are playing very good basketball.

“Dad, having Baylor and West on the team means I get a lot of easy shots. Those two guys are amazing!”

Wallace has a new girlfriend. She works at UCLA in admissions but she’s from the Bay area.

February 19

58-54 at Northern Illinois. We started slowly again, going down by 10 early. It was still 5 at the half. We made some minor adjustments but really, we simply played better in the second half. Still, it was a struggle, and we never led by more than 4. 14, 10, 2, 3 for Jess, but 7 TOs. 14, 3, 2, 2 for Laws, but he had 8 TOs. The team had 22. No. Ill. had 20, and we were +15 on the boards.

Toledo lost so we have clinched first place in conference.

59-66 at Toledo. We would have liked this one, just to give us an edge going into the tournament, but it was not to be. Laws played only 12 minutes before fouling out, and as a result their backcourt outplayed ours. 21 TOs, and that area has become a problem lately. 18, 6 for Winn, 13, 5, 3, 2 for Dens but he had 8 TOs.

We play #20 Nevada, 21-4, there, in the Bracket Breaker, and then we end the regular season here with 12-14 Eastern Michigan.

February 26

52-67 at Nevada.

Not the way we want to go into the playoffs. Our last 4 games have been two close wins then 2 losses. 14, 8 for Jess, 12, 9, 2 for Winn. We never led after the first 5 minutes. Hopefully we can end strong in our next game.

71-40 over Eastern Michigan. 17, 8, 2, 2 for Jess, 15, 6 for Meek, 14, 2, 2, 2, 2 for Laws, very good bench play, 11 TOs.

We finish 3 up on Toledo, 4 or more on the rest.

Malcolm X was assassinated earlier in the week. It appears all but certain that it was done by Elijah Muhammed’s Nation of Islam.

“Dr. King pretty much predicted this, daddy. He said Malcolm was in great danger.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:03 pm

March 6

Since we won the regular season title the tourney is here again this year. We play 15-13, 7-9 Bowling Green in the quarter finals. They beat us by 14 there, in our only meeting, so we’re taking this one seriously.

March 7

60-48 over Bowling Green. We needed to overcome lots of foul trouble. Jess, Dens, and Law ended up with 4 each and I needed to sit all three for large amounts of time. Fortunately, Sun and Lann were both terrific from the bench. 15 for Laws, 14, 8 for Jess, 14 more for Lann. +7 TOs, +5 RBs. We never led but it was close for a long time.

It’s 21-10, 10-6 Kent ST in the semis. We beat them by 14 here. Their #3 guard is hurt. He may play, but he won’t be anywhere near 100%.

March 8

62-75 to Kent ST. We were up 7 at the half, after shooting 50%. Then everything fell apart. Laws picked up his 3rd foul in the first minute of the 2nd half, and his 4th within a minute of being put back in. We couldn’t hit shots, and we couldn’t stop their SF, who wound up with 34. 14, 13 for Jess, and 15 for Laws, 13 of them in the first half. Our usually strong bench didn’t give us much tonight.

This was a very disappointing loss, and will certainly not help with our NCAA seeding.

A horrible thing happened last night in Alabama. Josea Williams and John Lewis were leading a peaceful protest march in Selma. When they reached the Edmund Pettus Bridge, Alabama state troopers and local police began to beat them with clubs, spray them with hoses, and then drop tear gas on them. There were some very serious injuries. Dr. King and many of his people are on the way there.

March 9

Dr. King led a march on the Pettus Bridge. There was no opposition from the authorities. Dr. King gave a speech promising to return later in the month to lead another march. The original march was to protest the murder of a young black man who was killed by police in a march here in February.

Ruth Ann wants to join Dr. King when he returns to Selma.

On a brighter note, Tony Bennett auditioned Loretta. He liked her and told her he will send some dates when he will be in the Bay area. He would love to have her accompany him. He usually works with a three piece combo, piano, bass, and drums, sometimes a guitar as well. He is hugely popular in the Bay area since “I Left my Heart in San Francisco” was such a big hit three years ago. While he has had several hits with pop songs his first love is jazz, and he sings many jazz number s in his concerts. He told Loretta, “You can really swing, Loretta!”

March 12

Central Michigan beat Kent ST for the conference tourney title.

We offer to an SG.

Selection day. We’re ranked #20, RPI #15.

Not in the East.

Not in the Midwest.

#6 in the South. We play #11 Wyoming, 20-10. I thought we’d be higher but the tourney loss hurt us.

March 17

75-46 over Wyoming. 27, 8, 3 for Jess, 13, 5, 6, 2 for Winn, 13, 6, 3, 3 for Laws. 9 TOs.

#3 seed, #8 ranked Kentucky, 26-7, is next. They are a very good team, but they are not last year’s Kentucky. They are only 4-3 against ranked teams. They have exceptional guards but we’re better up front. If we play really well we have a chance.

Last night Callie and Ruth Ann saw Wallace play in Detroit again. They are a good luck charm for him. The Lakers have yet to lose when any of us are in attendance.

March 19

55-69. Their 3 guards outscored our 3 guards 51-13. 25, 7 for Will Jess, 13 for Lane Laws, who fouled out. This is his last game with us, as it is for Wes Winn.

March 22

3,000 people, led by Dr. King, marched on Selma, headed for Montgomery. Ruth Ann and I leave tonight to join them.

March 25

An estimated 25,000 of us reach Montgomery. The march has been without any violent incidents.

The Final Four is in Atlanta this year and I am going.

March 30

Kent ST lost in the NIT title game.

Loretta played a concert at Cal Berkeley, Wallace’s alma mater, with Tony Bennett last night. It was her first with Bennett and she really enjoyed it and thought it went very well. She is still fully committed to the San Francisco Symphony, but symphony orchestras do not play all that often so there is time for these other performances. There is an excellent jazz combo that wants her to join them and she is considering it. Like Sinatra, Tony Bennett has a regular pianist, but he will use her when he is unavailable.

Wallace is playing against Baltimore in the NBA semifinal round starting April 3. We hope to make some of the games.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports