Point Guard

Re: Point Guard

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 pm

December 13 Jaq Chan, junior guard:

74-58 over our biggest rival, Providence. We LOVE to beat the Fryers! It’s my 3rd year here and the first time we beat them. I had a good night, 17, 3, 5, 2, and I shut down my man. Rob had 13 and 5, Tark 13, 7, 2, and Ad Hoot maybe his best night so far, 12, 3, 4 with only 2 TOs. The team had only 7 (+12). We didn’t rebound very good (-10) but we outside guys did the job!

Dawn:

I’m going blind and deaf from all the interviews. But, I have a head of professional staff hired and she’ll help with those interviews. I also have a head of maintenance, and she’ll do those on her own, as will the woman in charge of the cafeteria. That takes a load off, and allows me to get to know the department heads. It’s all coming together.

It’s nice to have Zak home until 12/28. He’s a huge help with the kids. He arranges his schedule to maximize his time with them. He’s a great dad!

December 19 Rob Hard, freshman center:

84-64 over Nevada here. Coach was not happy with me tonight. I had 24 and 5, with 3 steals, but I only played 19 min. because of fouls. He says I have to play with more self-discipline. I guess I had such puppy dog eyes he took pity on me. Said he and the other coaches would help me with it at practice, and then said that I did so much good stuff he wanted me in the game for a lot more than 19.

Zak: I guess I kicked Rob’s a$$ tonight. Maybe it will help. Tark and Ron Evan had 14 each, and Jaq Chan, Ad Hoot, and Jeff Frost had 10 each. 18 TOs, which also did not make me happy. I do need to say that we are doing great! 7-1 with one to play before we start A10 play.

December 25 Dawn:

It was a great day!

I have my staff in place, full time and part time, professional and non-professional, and I have backups. We will open on January 2. I have a feeling the state will drop 12 kids on us on that first day; there’s simply no place to put these kids. I hope not, but…

December 26 Zak:

63-68 to Clemson here. Rob Hard played 21 minutes due to fouls, Ad Hoot fouled out, Jaq Chan and Jeff Frost had 4 fouls each. It was idiotic. The refs called 23 fouls on each team. The game had no flow. It was just a march to the foul line. Both coaches got T’d up. 23, 4, 3, 2 for Chan. Best to forget this one.

We end pre-conference play at 7-2.

This is a 4 game week, which is as insane as the refs were.

December 27 Al Anon, scout:

68-57 over George Washington here, to start A10 play. 16,6, 3, 3 for Hard, 14, 6, 2 for Hock, 17, 2, 7, 2 for Chan. 8 TOs (+10).

Zak:

After 10 games we are 8-2, RPI #11 (before the loss). +9.9 PPG, -4.4 RBPG, which is a surprise, +4.6 TOPG, +2.2 assists PG, +2.4 steals PG. Doing great except for rebounding.

December 29

73-75 at VCU. I lay this one completely at Rob Hard’s feet. He fouled out in 24 minutes. We were up 2 when he went out with 87 seconds left. During our inflight coaches’ meeting the staff decided to play him at PF for a few minutes a game. Maybe taking him out of the middle will help with fouls. If that doesn’t work I have no idea what to try. Hard led us with 23 and 6. Tark Hock had 17, 6, 4, 2. 19 TOs (-7) didn’t help.

December 31 Zak:

65-57 over Saint Louis here. Better. The only guy in foul trouble was Tark Hock, and he had 13 and 5 in 33 minutes. Maybe putting Rob at PF for a few minutes helped. He had 13 and 8, but only 3 fouls. 18, 7, 4, 2 for Jaq Chan to lead us. 11, 9 for Jeff Frost who will start, starting now.

Jaq Chan hurt his hip. Day to day.

January 2, 2026 Dawn:

It’s actually 1/3. It’s been a LONG day. At 11:43 a.m.- I noted the time, I called the state child protection office to let them know we were full. Yes, between 9:07 and 11:43 we had 12 kids brought in. Several more drifted in after that but we had to turn them away.

Actually, all of these kids are damaged, some severely, and all of them needed acute care, but none of them were in a trauma situation so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. I was there until after midnight doing paperwork.

The procedure is to call ahead, not just bring a kid in, but that didn’t work too well today. I’m trying to come up with a plan to make it work better in the future. We’ll see.

And of course Zak leaves for several days tomorrow. He heard all about today though. I have to say he seemed interested- no, I know he’s interested.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:38 pm

January 5 Zak:

70-79 at Fordham. Shaking my head. Foul trouble did us in again. Hoot fouled out and three other starters had 4 each. 23 and 7 for Rob Hard but he only played 23 minutes. 15, 5 for Hock. We also let them shoot 53.5%.

January 7 Zak:

72-67 at St. Bonnie’s. Hard fouled out but he played 29 minutes and had 18, 6, 2. 20, 6, 5 for Chan, 16, 4 for Hock, 10, 5, 3 for Evan. We were down 11 late in the first half.
Then we came storming back. St. Bonnie’s is a very good team; they were 10-3 coming in.

Dawn:

First week finished. Wait! Six days finished. It feels like six months. We had three of our kids outplaced, which meant three new ones arrived- on the same day. I won’t need to worry about staying in business.

I spend about 14 hours a day at work. I come home from noon-7:00 for the kids, then go back. I nap when Jamilia does, for about 1- 1 ½ hours, and I nap at work when I can, but I doubt that I’ve had six hours sleep on any night this week. That will need to change. And it will change, but for now everything’s new, there are no routines. I have good people, and I will be able to back off in another week or two. Before you ask, I LOVE it. We’re doing important work here and we’re doing it right.

January 9

63-55 over first place Duquesne here. 19, 7 for Chan, 14, 4, 2, 2 for Hard,9, 8, 4,3 for Frost. +9 RBs.

Ad Hoot stretched a calf muscle. Day to day.

It’s a one game week. Next week we play three. Weird.

1/3 of the way through A10 play we are tied for 3rd, one back of 1st place.

January 16 Zak:

66-56 over East Carolina here. 20, 7, 2 for Tark Hock, who is really starting to produce. 12, 10, 2 for Hard, 15, 3 for Chan. +10 RBs.

January 19 Deke Gale:

58-56 over La Salle here. 14,10 for Hard, 15, 7 for Hock, 11, 2, 3 for Chan. We faded badly in the last 10 minutes, almost blowing a 13 point lead. Fortunately, they missed their last second three. We’re not playing the way we were in December.

January 21 Al Anon:

55-60 at Dayton. We beat their starters but their subs had 22 and ours had 2. 19, 3 for Chan, 10, 10 for Hard.

The A10 is a total logjam. Saint Louis is 6-2. We are one of 5 teams with 3 losses. 3 more have 4 losses.

Ad Hoot hurt his hip. He’s out about a week.

6-3 at the halfway point of conference play. RPI #43. +6.4 PPG, -1.2 RBPG, getting better, +2.2TOPG, +1.2 assists PG, +1.0 steals PG. Hard and Chan are #1, #2 in A10 scoring,
Hard is #2 in RBs, Hoot #3 in assists.

January 25 Dawn:

Things are settling down. I’m working 10-12 hours a day, depending on how many admissions and releases we have. I am so proud of my people. They work hard, and they work so well!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:02 am

January 28 Zak:

81-78 at St. Joe’s. 24, 6 for Hard, 23, 4 for Chan, 12, 2, 2 for sub Ron Evan, 10, 6, 3, 3 for Hock. They were up 19 with 15:22 left. From that point on we scored on almost every possession. We were a step quicker and they needed to foul. We hit our free throws, we hit our threes, and we just kept coming. Great win!

January 29 Zak:

As expected our two PG recruits did not hit our SAT score. Neither did the kid who was next on our list. We offer to two other PGs.

January 30 Zak:

75-50 over Fordham here. This one was easy. 20, 5 for Hard, 15, 9, 4 for Chan, 11, 3, 3 for Kent. +11 TOs. We’re tied for 2nd place.

February 4 Al Anon:

68-61 at Davidson. My report said the trouble would come from their SF and PF, and it did, but we were able to contain them. 17, 8 for Hard. +9 RBs but -8 TOs.

February 6 Deke Gale:

63-72 at Richmond. 2-14 on threes, and that was the difference; they were 7-18. The rest of the stats were close. 19 TOs didn’t help. 15, 9 for Hard, 17 for Chan. We didn’t shoot well overall, 35.8%.

5 to play and it is still bunched at the top- UMass is 1st. Saint Louis is ½ game back. We and Richmond are 1 back. Dayton is 2 back, and three others are 2 ½ back. A loss right now can be devastating.

#19 UMass, 1st in the conf. is next, there.

February 11 Zak:

70-86. They were 19-37 on threes, and we had 19 TOs. Those 2 numbers tell the story. 17, 5, 2 for Hard, 16, 1, 5 for Chan, 19, 3 for sub Ron Evan.

That leaves us in a 4 way tie for 3rd.

February 16

86-67 over Dayton here. 31, 10, 3, 3 for Hard, his best game of the season. 15, 4, 3 for Chan, 13, 9, 2 for Hock.

Ad Hoot sprained his wrist. He’s out for 2 weeks. Russ Kent will get his minutes. Not a good time for this to happen.

Dawn:

Being a critical care facility we have a lot of quick admissions and quick releases. We don’t tend to keep our patients for long periods of time. This can be a strain for lots of reasons- we don’t always have a lot of information when a child comes in, we’re always trying to catch up with the paperwork, it is difficult to get to know our patients and to establish trust, especially since these kids have trust issues to begin with. So I do a lot of paperwork. I wish I could spend more time with our clients. I am considering hiring an executive vice president to take some of the load off, but I’m not sure if that would help. I certainly need to see all of the paperwork and okay it.

February 18 Deke Gale:

66-44 over St. Joe’s here. Great D, they shot 33.3%. 10, 7, 4, 2 for Hard, 14 for Frost, 13 for Ron Evan. +7 TOs. We executed really well tonight. 28-12 in the paint.

February 20 Al Anon:

65-68 at George Washington. They have 3 players. My scouting report said they have 3 players. All we needed to do was reasonably defend those 3 players. We didn’t. Hard was terrific, 28 and 11. Sadly, he got almost no help. GW is the second worst team in the A10. This is not a game we should have lost.

Zak:

We’re in a 3 way tie for 3rd with one to play.

February 25 Zak:

65-43 over George Mason here. +15 TOs, we had 9, they had 24. Good, solid D. We had to go pretty deep into the bench due to fouls, but the bench came through, at least on D. 17, 12, 3, 2, 4 for Hard, 16, 13, 3, 5 for Hock13, 4 for Evans, 14 for Chan.

We end the regular season 19-8, 12-6, RPI #35, in a 3 way tie for 3rd, 1 back of UMass and Saint Louis. Hard leads the A10 in scoring, RBs, and FG%. As a team we’re +6.9 in scoring, -0.1 RBPG, +2.4 TOPG, +1.5 assists, +1.3 steals.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:45 am

March 2 Dawn:

We’ve been in operation for 2 months. I now work 10 hours most days. Now and then I need to work more. It’s a critical care facility, sometimes the emphasis is on the critical part. I love it. It’s exhausting, it’s heartbreaking, it’s incredibly difficult, but we’re making a difference, doing something meaningful.

Our kids are thriving. They all love their schools.

March 6 Zak:

We’re the #3 seed in the A10 tourney. #6 seed Dayton won their play in so we play them. They won by 5 there, we won by 19 here. Ad Hoot is back to 100%.

March 7 Zak:

71-82 to Dayton in the quarter finals. Very disappointing. Rob Hard turned an ankle 15 minutes in and couldn’t go. Jaq Chan had a great game, 26, 6, 2, but it wasn’t enough. Hard is our only solid inside player and with him out Dayton just pounded it inside all night long. They were 32-18 in the paint, and 13-2 in 2nd chance points.

This one will drop our seeding way down in the NCAA tourney. Hard should be fine by then.

March 12 Zak:

Saint Louis beat Duquesne for the A10 title.

We’re 19-9, 12-6, RPI #50.

Play in game, South region. I’m shocked. I thought we’d be about a #13. Oh well. We play Seton Hall, 17-13.

March 14 Zak:

69-68. Jaq Chan picked us up and carried us, 33, 3, 2. 8 threes. 14, 8 for Hard, 12, 4, 9 for Hoot, his best game of the year. We won when Chan hit his 8th three with less than a second to play. -7 TOs, but we won!

We play #5 seed, #18 ranked Gonzaga, 24-7, next. They’re tough.

March 17 Zak:

54-72. We stayed close for about 30 minutes. Then they went on a 15-3 run and it was over. 17, 7 for Hard, 13 for Hoot. It was the last game for Tark Hock, Ron Evan, Russ Kent, and Earl Clak.

March 26 Fred Lee, recruiter:

Drew Whye, center, #74 signs. Now we need some guards!

April 1 Fred Lee:

We get Ad Deet, SG, #184. One more to fill.

April 4 Zak:

#6 Cincinnati upsets #1 UConn 84-64.

Awards: Rob Hard is A10 POY, Freshman OY, 1st team along with junior Jaq Chan. Senior Tark Hock makes 2nd team.

April 9 Zak:

We lose the PG and offer to another one.

We weren’t planning to move but there were no tempting offers anyway.

April 16 Fred Lee:

We get PG Walt Smid, #226.

April 23 Zak: We ask for a budget increase. We get $10,000.

20-10, 12-6, 3rd place. Not bad really. Overall: 136-47, .743. Off- 24, Def- 36, Recruit- 80, Scout- 65, Player Dev- 30, Reputation- 29.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:12 pm

May 1 Al Anon:

We buy the national Gold report.

June 5 Fred Lee:

No interesting transfers.

June 25 Deke Gale:

We redshirt Ad Deet.

June 26 Fred Lee:

5 scholarships. We need guards, at least 4, maybe all 5.

Dawn:

The kids are out of school. Jamal and Jamia are going to rec camps and other camps nearly every week. Of course Jamal will be at Zak’s kid basketball camp for two weeks.

Jamilia is too young for those things so she’s home with our day care provider.

I’m still working 10-12 hour days.

We have had very little turnover with our employees, none with our professional staff. We treat our people well as far as pay and benefits are concerned, and I try to let them know how much I appreciate them. The average client stay is 3 days so we are always doing intakes and releases. The paperwork is endless.

I still love it. As I keep saying we are doing vitally important work.

August 21 Fred Lee:

We offer to 4 PGs and a PF.

August 25 Dawn:

It’s hard to believe school; is starting again. Jamilia will be in full day pre-K this year.

September 18 Bill McCain, A. D.:

I managed to get us into the Las Vegas Winter Jam. We’ll play Pepperdine first. Zak is going to hate me. He’s on the road from 11/21-12/20. There will be opportunities to come home now and then but 6 straight road games plus the tournament.

September 25 Fred Lee:

Got three, lost one. Dave Ross, PG, #313, Ron Jack, PG, #247 (but he may not hit our SAT score), Kris Robb, PG, #197 (He’s iffy on the SAT score) all committed. We lost the PF.

October 2 Fred Lee:

We get Matt Burns, PG, #256.

Zak:

First day of practice. I think we’re stronger than last season, but it’s early.

We’re picked to finish 3rd behind UMass and Saint Louis. I’m taking aim at the title.

October 9 Fred Lee:

We lost a guard. We offer to a PF.

November 6 Zak:

Here’s the lineup: Senior Jaq Chan returns at guard and will get all the minutes he can handle. The remainder will be shared about equally between senior Ad Hoot and junior Cam Bell, a transfer from BC. Cal Gonn, a junior transfer from Arizona ST starts at SF and backs up inside. Our 3rd transfer, junior Sal Dum, from Georgia ST, will back up at SF.
Sophomore Rob Hard, A10 MOP last year, and junior juco Drew Whye start inside. We are very deep inside but really only have three guards we want to play. An injury to a guard will spell trouble.

I just told Dawn about the schedule. We’re gone from 11/19-11/29, and again from 12/14-12/20, and most of the time from 1/20-2/12. It really is brutal and she is NOT happy. If I were A. D. Bill McCain I wouldn’t drop by the house any time soon!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:22 pm

November 12 Mike Boss, letter to Zak:

“Dear Zak,

Looks like you’re doing pretty good at URI. Great! I got out of prison a while ago. I was lucky enough to have a job waiting for me on a small newspaper in Riverside, California. I wanted to go to Taos, but I couldn’t find a job there. The Riverside Reminder publishes on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and my column runs on all four days. It’s not easy to do four columns a week. The money is lousy but I’m not complaining. I’m thrilled that anyone would give an ex-con a break.

Anyway, being the sports guy I’ll be covering your game here on 11/24. I know it’s a lot to ask but is there any chance I can get an interview? It would really help.

Just so you know, I’m a changed man. I quit drinking- had no choice in Rahway. I didn’t start again when I got out. It’s amazing how much easier it is to find the right course when you’re sober. Actually, come to think about it, you know about that. I quit smoking, too.

I’m engaged. Never in a million years did I think I’d ever get married, but when you don’t spend all your time in bars the idea of a home and family start to appeal.

So if I don’t hear from you I’ll take it as a no, but I’d like the chance to apologize in person, and to show you that I really did change.

All the best to you and your family either way.

Mike Boss”

Zak:

Knock me over with a feather. I need to think about whether I want to spend time with Mike Boss. First reaction is no, no I don’t.

November 14 Deke Gale:

85-62 over Arizona ST here. Zak and I had a good feeling coming in. We felt that the guys were ready. They certainly were! We looked terrific! 22, 2, 4 for Chan, 18, 11 for Drew Whye, who has looked really, really good in practice and in the two exhibitions, 17, 6 for Hard, 12, 7, 2, 2 for Cal Gonn, who transferred here from tonight’s opponent. Kam Bell only had 2, but 7 assists. 9, 6, 2 for Sal Dum from the bench. 9 TOs (+6), and 38 RBs (+7). A great start against a Pac 12 team.

November 17 Deke Gale:

85-59 over Kent ST here. The same 4 kids who lit it up in our 1st game lit it up again. 21 each for Chan and Hard, 14, 8, 2 for Whye, and 17, 4, 3, 3 for Gonn. Bell was solid at guard.

Last home game until December 26.

November 18 Joe Downatti, Providence Journal, “The Low Down from Joe Down”

Turning to college hoops, what was URI A. D. Bill McCain thinking! No home games for the Rams for 39 days? That’s insane! All time hoops great Zak Zachery, the URI head coach, in his second year, can’t be happy about this. The Rams won their first two easily, and they look really strong, especially inside, but what a killer this road trip will be.

Let me hasten to point out that the guys will stop in at Kingston every now and then to change laundry, hand in assignments, and get new assignments (Yeah, yeah, I know, except for the laundry part they can do all that on line.). They travel with two tutors, but have specific subject tutors at home (All well within NCAA rules), and meeting with these tutors is important.

Anyway, Bill McCain gets the thumbs down from Joe Down.

November 19 Zak:

I said goodbye to Dawn and the kids and headed for the road.

November 20 Zak:

Ranked! #25. With this extended road trip I’m not sure how long we’ll stay ranked, but it’s nice.

Fred Lee:

The recruit we thought most likely not to hit our SAT score won’t. He didn’t sign. Fortunately, he was the recruit we were least excited about. The other two did sign. Looking at PGs. There’s a juco we LOVE.

November 21 Al Anon:

55-67 at Arkansas. Bloody HELL! I came up with the perfect scouting report on this team and we went and screwed it up. As was the case so often last season, fouls killed us, 24-15. They were 22-29 from the line, we were 7-12, more than the margin of victory. Even worse, Hard fouled out in 22 minutes, and guard Kam Bell fouled out in 18. Cal Gonn had 4. No one on the other team had more than 3. We outplayed these guys big time. The freakin’ refs stole this one. Zak got a T, maybe his 3rd one ever. 12, 10 for Whye.

November 24 Zak:

62-60 at Cal-Riverside. 16, 8 for Hard, 10, 6, 3, 2 for sub Sal Dum. Fouls were a problem again tonight, both Hard and Whye had 4. I am considering going all zone, maybe 2/3 2-3, 1/3 3-2. Let’s see what the staff thinks.

I never answered Mike Boss’ letter, but I went over to him after the game and we spoke for a while. He seems to be telling me the truth. When I knew him in Jersey he always smelled of booze and cigarettes; not tonight, no trace. He looked healthy. He showed me a picture of his fiancé and her 7 year old son, and said the kid was the light of his life. When I left I shook his hand and wished him luck. I meant it, too!

Oh, the staff unanimously (except for me) hated the idea of going all zone, or even more zone.

November 28 Deke Gale:

68-67 at Evansville. Incredible game! There were never more than 5 points separating the two teams and there were 28 lead changes and 16 ties. But, to be honest, the only reason it was this close is because we went 10-23 from the line. That was mostly Drew Whye who was 2-10. But he had 14 and 11 so we wouldn’t have won without him. 23, 5 for Hard, 16, 5, 3 for Chan. We won on… free throws! Rob Hard was fouled with 1.3 on the clock. It was a 1 and 1 and he hit both.

Kam Bell is playing WAY better than Ad Hoot, so he is picking up lots of Hoot’s minutes.

December 1 Dawn:

I got a call from Ella Vayder, the Det. Sgt. in Newark.

“Dawn, I have news for you.”

“I was hoping we were finished with this sort of thing.”

“Well, my news means you probably are… LaMina Madre is dead. It looks like she was killed by a fellow inmate. I don’t have details yet but they found her in a laundry chute with a knife in her chest.”

I didn’t know how to react. Zak is home between trips. After the kids were asleep we discussed it at length. There has been no mention of LaMina in a very long time. We can’t decide whether to tell Jamal and Jamia or not. Jamilia has no memory of her mom at all; she was too young when she last saw her.

December 2 Dawn:

We finally decided not to tell the kids until LaMina comes up in conversation, if she ever does.

December 5 Deke Gale:

77-75 at Georgia. Another of those games! No one ever led by more than 9. Jaq Chan hit a 17 footer with less than 2 seconds left for the win. 25, 10 for Hard, 13, 10, 4 for Whye, 16 for Chan. 8, 4, 8 for Bell. He made good use of his added playing time! But then Ad Hoot had 8, 2, 2 in less than his usual time. 37 RBs, 10 TOs. We played well!

Scot Fox, our #4 guard, strained abdominals. Out for about 10 days.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:17 pm

December 13 Jaq Chan, senior:

83-69 at Providence. HA! We beat the Fryers again! I LOVE to beat these guys. I really get psyched up to play them. I guess it shows, I had 25, 4, 2, and my man had 4, 1, 1.
11, 2, 9 for Kam Bell, who’s really stepping it up. 15, 5, 6, 3 for Cal Gonn, and 14, 5 for Rob Hard. +13 RBs. It was close for about 23 minutes. Then I banged home three straight threes, and Cal added two more. It was a 15-1 run, and that was the ball game.

We’re off to the Las Vegas Winter Jam.

December 16 Al Anon:

86-70 over #2 seed Pepperdine in the first round at Vegas. We’re #7. The scouting report said in and out, in and out, and that’s what we did, and we got scoring both in and out. 24, 3 for Chan, who has been HOT, 12, 5, 8, 5 for Bell, but he had 9 TOs, 15, 6, 3, 2 for Hard, 14 for Whye, and 9, 4, 3 for Gonn. We had 18 TOs, but they had 25. My report mentioned that they weren’t good with the ball. I can’t take credit for the shooting, 60.8%, but I CAN take credit for a plan that got our guys open shots!

It’s #3 seed Tennessee, 7-2 in the semis. We need to stop their outside shooters and pound it inside on O.

December 17 Al Anon:

89-59 over #3 seed Tennessee, and we’re in the title game! Okay, it wasn’t my plan tonight. Chan and Bell combined for 36 (22, 7, 4 for Bell). We got as many outside as inside. We were shooting it again tonight, 56.7%. 18, 7 for Whye, 19, 5, 2, 2 for Hard. 8, 4, 4, 2 for Gonn. We just annihilated these guys. +9 TOs, +9 RBs.

It’s #1 seed Miami (FL), 8-1, for the title. I think it’s about the inside game again tonight, but if we keep the hot shooting going, that would be okay, too.

December 18 Zak:

74-59 and the title! We had them right out of the gate, scoring the first 9, and going up 20-4. 20 and 3 for tourney MOP Jaq Chan, 18, 7 for Whye, 15, 8, 2, 2 for backup Sal Dum. Hard was in foul trouble all night and gave us nothing, but Dum stepped up! 11, 2, 3, 2 for Bell.+10 RBs, +5 TOs. We’re playing really well. Tough game coming up- LSU.

Then finally home for a while, 8 days.

Back up big guy Jeff Frost hurt his shoulder. Day to day.

December 19 Zak:

65-81. 4 games in 4 days, with a plane ride between games 3 and 4. We were tired and it showed, especially in our shot, 33.9%, 7-25 on threes. 19 for Bell, who has made me look like a genius. 14, 9 for Whye. 9 and 6 for both Hard and Gonn. Chan was really tired, 2-15 shooting. Oh well, they’ll all sleep in their own beds for a while.

We close pre-conf. play at 9-2, RPI #6. Hard is #3 scorer, #3 rebounder, #1 in FG% in the A10. Chan is #2 scorer, Whye the #1 in RBs and #4 in blocks; Bell is #1 in assists. As a team +9.2 PPG, +2.4 RBPG, +3.4 TOPG, -0.3 assists PG, +1.5 steals PG.

Two guys didn’t get the grades we like to see, Whye and Gonn. They passed easily, but we like to see a 3.0, or close to it.

December 25 Dawn:

It was a great day. Especially with Zak being back home for a while. In the past few days he got to see one of Jamal’s rec league games, and spent time with each of the girls.

Now that we’re doing conference play he’ll be home more.

The agency is coming up on its first birthday. The state asked me to expand from 12 to 24 beds. They are willing to fund the expansion 100%. I said no. This is all I can handle.
It’s a compliment though, it means they like our work. They should!

December 26 Deke Gale:

85-64 over Duquesne here. 30 for Chan, 17, 7, 3 for hard, 15 for Bell, 11 for Hoot. We were rested tonight and we played good, solid basketball.

December 29 Deke Gale:

72-60 at 8-2 La Salle. 30 and 11 for Hard, 20, 2, 3 for Bell. Zak works with the guards and I work with the big guys. I have to say his work with Bell is really paying off. The kid seems a little better each game. +7 RBs.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:51 am

January 1, 2027 Zak:

66-55 over East Carolina here. 32 for Chan. +5 TOs. They were up 8 at the half. We came roaring back, mostly because of Chan.

#24, RPI #7.

January 2 Dawn:

One year ago today we opened. We had a little celebration at work.

January 5 Zak:

74-61 at Davidson. We were firing on all cylinders tonight. 21, 7 for Hard, 17, 4, 4 for Gonn, 16, 4, 2 for Chan, 10, 9 for Whye. +9 RBs.

January 7 Zak:

76-58 at George Mason. We’re playing really well right now. 25 for Chan, 16, 6, 5, 6 for Hard, 14, 3, 4, 2 for Whye. +14 TOs.

January 9 Deke Gale:

75-57 over George Washington here. We’re just in a zone right now. 17, 4, 4 for Bell, 19 for Chan, 14, 6 for Hard, 12, 4, 3 for Whye.

#16, RPI #7.

January 14 Dawn:

Serious injury at work. We had a new client, a 9 year old boy. One of the LPNs was doing an intake. I don’t know if she was having a bad day, was distracted by something, who knows? The boy had been lifted right out of a hellhole of abuse and neglect. He was still traumatized, reeling. She didn’t read the signs. He attacked her. He was kicking, biting. He beat her into unconsciousness with her own clipboard before help arrived. He injured three of the people who intervened to pull him off of the LPN. It took the entire staff of nurses, aides, and custodians to restrain him.

It sort of reminded me of my introduction to Jamal but this was much worse. This boy was a lot bigger than Jamal, for one thing. For another, he, we later found out, had a history of violence, and he knew how to cause injury.

The LPN is hospitalized with fractures of several bones in the facial area and a possible skull fracture.

The boy was taken to a mental hospital that specializes in violent youth.

This is by far the worst incident that has happened here, the first serious one, actually.

January 16: Al Anon:

67-56 over Fordham here. We thought their PG was the only guy who could hurt us. In that situation you have two choices: 1. Do everything you can to stop the guy. 2. Let the guy get his points and stop everybody else. We chose the latter and it worked. 19, 8 for Hard, 15, 5, 3 for Chan, 13, 5 for Gonn, 13, 4 for Dum.

Near the end of the game Jaq Chan injured his shoulder. He may miss a game or two, or at least see limited minutes.

Dawn:

The LPN has a concussion to go along with the facial bone fractures, but there is no skull fracture, thankfully.

When there is a serious situation like we just went through the state comes in and does a thorough investigation. They allow no new admissions while the investigation is ongoing. We’re down to 5 clients, the lowest number since we opened. Actually, the first time since we opened that we have been less than full for more than a few hours.

It’s okay. We can all use the rest, physically and emotionally. It will only be a few days, I’m sure. We reviewed everything and we followed our protocols, which are those put out by the state.

January 19

67-59 over St. Bonaventure. 15, 10 for Whye, 17, 7, 3, 2 for Hard, 15, 6, 2 for Gonn, 12, 2, 5, 2 for Bell. Chan played limited minutes, and will in our next game, too.

Jeff Frost fractured an ankle. Out for the season. The bench is getting short.

January 20 Dawn:

We’re open again. We filled up in two hours.

January 21 Zak:

64-84 at Dayton. Not tonight. Chan could only play a minute or two here and there, and Hoot was in foul trouble all night, and Kam Bell turned an ankle and could only play 21 minutes. Our #4 guard, Scot Fox, did a great job on offense, getting 20 points,, but his man had 33 (his man and Hoot’s), and we just didn’t have enough guards. Tough night, but Chan will be at 100% for our next game.

At the halfway point in conference play we are at 17-3, 8-1, ½ game up on Dayton. Several other teams are within 2 games of us.

#16, RPI #8. Jaq Chan is 1st in the A10 and Rob Hard 3rd in scoring, Bell is #1 in assists, Whye #1 and Hard #2 in RBs, Hard #1 in FG%. As a team +9.3 PPG, +2.4 RBPG, +3.2 TOPG, +1.2 assists PG, +1.0 steals PG.

January 29 Zak:

67-70 at Saint Louis. Bench- theirs had 29, ours had 6. Our D was awful, especially in the first half, when we allowed 51 points. We fixed it, but it was too late. 22, 7 for Hard, 19, 6 for Chan, 10, 8, 2 for Gonn.

Two losses in a row but we’re only ½ game back of 1st place Duquesne.

As expected that recruit didn’t hit our score. We offer to another PG.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:37 am

January 30 Deke Gale:

62-41 over Davidson here. An easy one. 20, 6 for Hard, 14, 5, 4, 6 for Chan, 11, 8, 3 for Gonn. +11 TOs.

February 4 Deke Gale

78-65 over VCU there. We’re still in the groove. 18, 10 for Whye, 19, 7, 3 for Hard, 15, 8 for Chan, 13, 5, 7 for Bell. 41 RBs, 10 TOs.

February 6 Zak:

67-80 at Richmond. The D was awful. 80? Way too many to give up to this team. They were 14-27 on threes. 19, 10 for Whye, 17, 6, 3 for Chan. 3 losses in our last 5; not good.

February 11 Al Anon:

72-56 at #21 UMass. Big win! We felt we had a big edge inside and the plan was to get it in to our big guys as often as possible. It worked. 20, 9 for Hard, 18, 6 for Whye. +13 RBs.

We’re ½ game back of Duquesne 4 to play. 3 of the 4 are at home.

February 16 Zak:

89-62 over Dayton here. We overpowered them. 25, 4 for Chan, 18, 3 for Hard, 15, 6, 4, 2 for Gonn, 10, 5 for Whye, 12, 5, 2 for Dum. +14 RBs, 6 TOs.

February 18 Al Anon:

79-62 over #25 Saint Louis. My scouting report said to keep pounding it inside. We did. 21, 11 for Whye, 21, 5, 2 for Hard, 16, 4, 2 for Gonn. +13 RBs. We won this one inside.

Duquesne next for 1st place.

February 20 Zak:

63-73 at Duquesne. Rob Hard was outplayed by their center. He fouled out with 7 and 10. The other guy had 17 and 9. The bench did us in again. Theirs had 22, 6, 4, ours had 8, 5, 3.

Looks like a 2nd place finish.

February 25 Jaq Chan:

70-46 over St. Joe’s here. Senior night, my last game on this floor. I made it count, 22, 3, 2. 15, 10 for Hard, 14, 11 for Whye, 10, 8, 2 for Gonn.

Zak:

We finish 2nd, 2 back of Duquesne, 2 ahead of UMass. 23-6, 14-4, #16, RPI #10.

Jamal’s championship rec league game was the night before last. I was there to watch him win, and to be named MOP. He plays well. All that time hanging with my team has taught him some things.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:19 pm

March 6 Zak:

We’re the #2 seed. We play #7 seed St. Bonnie’s, 18-12, 10-8. We won by 8 at our place.

March 7 Zak:

74-48 in the quarter final round. 31, 11 for Hard. +13 TOs. We were determined and Hard was incredible.

#1 seed Duquesne was upset, leaving us a clear path.

It’s #3 seed, #19 ranked UMass in the semis. We won by 16 there.

March 8

65-68. Poor shooting did us in. 2-16 on threes, a pathetic 17-28 from the line. We should have won this one. Our two bigs were in foul trouble all night, Hard fouled out in 19 minutes and Whye played only 21. But still, we were +8 TOs, +3 RBs, and we were in it all the way. We just didn’t make shots when we needed to.

March 9 Zak:

UMass beat Saint Louis for the title.

March 12 Zak:

#18, RPI #11 going to the selection show.

Not in the East.

Not in the South.

Not in the Midwest.

#5 in the West. We play #12 New Mexico ST, 21-9.

March 17 Deke Gale:

74-61 over New Mexico ST. We knew we needed our inside game to be strong, and it was. And our guard gave us some points. 18, 6 for Hard, 17, 5 for Chan, 14, 6, 2, 2 for Gonn, 6, 13 for Whye, 8, 3, 3 for Bell. 12 TOs, 35 RBs.

Next up is #4 seed, #12 ranked Georgetown, 23-7. This is likely to be won or lost inside. Both teams rely heavily on their inside game.

March 19 Zak:

70-83. They got out to a big early lead, as many as 21, and we could never quite get back in, never got closer than 4. We easily beat their starting bigs but their backup center killed us, 21 and 4. 20 and 8 for Hard, 14, 5, 2, 2 for Whye, 10, 4, 9 for Bell, 11, 2 for Chan in his last game.

We’re losing three guards. We will really miss Jaq Chan. Ad Hoot helped us. The other was Scot Fox, who didn’t play much. We need our recruits, certainly at least one of them, to come through for us.

March 26 Fred Lee:

We get PF Sam Gore, #183. He’s really the only inside player we went after. One more to go.

April 4 Zak:

#1 UConn beat #12 Georgetown, the team that knocked us out, for the title, 81-68.

Awards: Sophomore Rob Hard was A10 POY for the 2nd year in a row, and 1st team along with senior Jaq Chan. Juniors Drew Whye and Cal Gonn made the 2nd team. I was COY.

Dawn asked me about moving. As I’ve told her all along, we’ll probably move once more, but only once more. If a powerhouse wants me, we’ll go. I think that may be a couple of years away. And of course she’ll certainly have lots of input on that decision.

April 9 Zak:

I was right. No tempting offers. Just as well. We have more work to do here.

April 16 Fred Lee:

Jed Rose, PG, #251 signs. We are very high on this kid.

April 23 Zak:

We ask for a budget increase. $10,500.

25-8, 14-4. Overall: 161-55, .745. Off- 28, Def- 42, Recruit- 80, Scout- 66, Player Dev- 35, Reputation- 33.

If one or two of those recruit guards come through we should be able to win the A10 next year.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 3 Dynasty Reports