What would it take for DDS: College Baseball to be worth it?

Discuss anything you like related to Wolverine Studios

What would it take for DDS: College Baseball to be worth it?

Postby thought_paradox » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 pm

I loved the college football and basketball sims, but I had wondered why there weren't any plans for a college baseball game. I get that there is relatively low interest, but there is also literally nothing on the market right now for college baseball. It also seems to me that baseball would work especially well in this format given that its much more stats-based than football and basketball, and showing individual games play out would be waaaay easier.

I'm probably underestimating the amount of work it would take to overhaul one of the other games into a baseball sim, but if it does ever happen i know I'll be buying it on day 1.
thought_paradox

Re: What would it take for DDS: College Baseball to be worth

Postby PointGuard » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 pm

Yeah, overall interest level would likely be low, thereby resulting in insufficient sales to justify the effort to develop it...unless it was the progenitor of DDS MLB...which would be great to see (and have). :cool:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby thought_paradox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:45 am

Sure I get that, but I'd also wager that getting 100% of a small college baseball market would be around as good as the increasngly smaller percent of the college football market for instance, especially with EA coming back in to the field.
thought_paradox

Postby rmoons24 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:55 pm

I think it would be worth it. There is definitely a fan base there as seen by both OOTPs popularity and the mods that pop up for 'College like' OOTP saves. I think a College Baseball game, NASCAR and/or IndyCar based game like F1 Manager/Motorsports Manager would be another interesting foray into the Sim world. Another very interesting idea would be to capitalize off the momentum WBB has right now and look to expand there.

I also don't think overall interest is too big a worry given the semi-recent golf game they produced.
rmoons24

Postby spitfire » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:30 am

thought_paradox wrote:I get that there is relatively low interest, but there is also literally nothing on the market right now for college baseball.

Ummm, could be that the "relatively low interest" has something to do with why there's "literally nothing on the market right now". :) Also, don't underestimate the amount of work it would take to develop a baseball game engine from scratch and model the college environment, all for a game that wouldn't be expected to sell many units. As PointGuard sez, if development of a college baseball game could be tied in to a pro version, groovy. But as a stand-alone, probably not worth the effort. Just my own view, not a Wolverine thing. Besides, any right-thinking individual should realize that it's MUCH more important to restore hockey to the Wolverine product line!!!!! :D
spitfire

Postby PointGuard » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:52 pm

Yeah, and ya know...there's always a possibility of DDS Frisbee Golf. :D
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby thought_paradox » Fri May 03, 2024 9:14 am

spitfire wrote:
thought_paradox wrote:I get that there is relatively low interest, but there is also literally nothing on the market right now for college baseball.

Ummm, could be that the "relatively low interest" has something to do with why there's "literally nothing on the market right now". :) Also, don't underestimate the amount of work it would take to develop a baseball game engine from scratch and model the college environment, all for a game that wouldn't be expected to sell many units. As PointGuard sez, if development of a college baseball game could be tied in to a pro version, groovy. But as a stand-alone, probably not worth the effort. Just my own view, not a Wolverine thing. Besides, any right-thinking individual should realize that it's MUCH more important to restore hockey to the Wolverine product line!!!!! :D

Well that's already been proven false once recently. There hadn't been an MLB game on Xbox since EA dropped the series back in 2007. Was it because there was no interest? Nope, cause MLB the Show was the 4th best selling Xbox game of the year of its debut. Hard to believe that the percentage of The Show players who would also be interested in a college baseball game is so tiny that it wouldn't be worth considering.
thought_paradox

Postby rmoons24 » Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 am

spitfire wrote:

Hey, it didn't stop them from wasting the resources on a random Golf game!
rmoons24

Postby PointGuard » Sun May 05, 2024 1:06 pm

{Deleted since I mistakenly made a double entry. :o }
Last edited by PointGuard on Sun May 05, 2024 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun May 05, 2024 1:06 pm

DDSPG was a good idea and is a very good golf game but, yeah, unfortunately it didn't result in many purchasers...so that probably gives Gary pause about doing other games where the audience for the game is likely limited.

Personally I'd LOVE to see an MLB baseball management game (since I have no interest in the main one out there presently), a college baseball game is a stretch for me. I attend some college baseball games, but just don't get into following the players, stats, the playoffs or the college world series (even though I think the college world series is a cool thing). And while I think there are a fairly big number of people who follow/like college baseball, I'm pretty sure it's far lower than the number into college football and baskeball...and the percentage of those college baseball fans who would be into buying a college baseball management/sim game is likely pretty low.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Return to General Discussions