Extremely Disappointed

Discuss anything you like related to Wolverine Studios

Postby ezpkns34 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:55 pm

i apologize if im over-simplifying this college bball vs wrestling game "problem" but didnt they say theyre going to make both games, its just theyre going to make one first and one second? so whats the issue if the one you prefer is going to take a couple months longer to come out?

thats like saying im not going to buy madden cause its not coming out until september this year (its not, but im just using this as an example). This arguement seems horribly childish.

And to the people complaining about other people on here watching wrestling,...Who cares? How does someone else watching wrestling affect you? If you, personally, dont like wrestling then thats great cause you dont have to watch it. If people like craig like watching then thats great too, go watch some wrestling. I just dont understand the issues brought up in this thread at all due to them not being issues at all.
ezpkns34

Postby CraigInTwinCities » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 pm

EZ,

There is a bit at stake in this vote.

1) It takes more than "a couple months" for a small company like Wolverine to develop a new title. Depending on the complexity of the project, and whether it's a minor upgrade, a major revamp, or a completley new title, development time can REALLY make a difference.

2) Those of us who want to see DDS:CB come next, want to see it come next because it's a huge, major upgrade and even if they start now, it might be hard for them to get DDS:CB out by next year's March Madness...

3) However, if pro wrestling wins the poll and is Wolverine's next game, that's a BRAND NEW, FROM SCRATCH game, which means it'll take (potentially) a lot of time to develop. So if wrestling comes first, then and upgrade to TCB (which is what DDS:CB is) probably is guaranteed to miss next season entirely and not get released until college basketball's 2008-09 season. A HUGE wait for those of us (like me) who want to see TCB upgraded to be on-par with the excellent, new, faster code that powers DDS:PB.

4) Meanwhile, wrestling fans have a horse in this race, too, because Gary recently admitted that if pro wrestling does poorly in this vote, there's a chance the game may not get made at all. So I'm guessing some folks might toss wrestling a couple of their daily votes, just so it doesn't get so crushed that it never gets made.

I hope Gary does both games, though.

My preference would be to see Wolverine go this way:

1. DDS:College Basketball / Winter 2007-08 (gets hoops squared away)
2. DDS:Pro Wrestling / perhaps Spring/Summer 2008?
3. DDS:Pro Football / Before the 2009 SuperBowl, following the 2008 season
4. DDS:College Football / Fall 2009

But hey, those are my biases/preferences...

ezpkns34 wrote:i apologize if im over-simplifying this college bball vs wrestling game "problem" but didnt they say theyre going to make both games, its just theyre going to make one first and one second? so whats the issue if the one you prefer is going to take a couple months longer to come out?

thats like saying im not going to buy madden cause its not coming out until september this year (its not, but im just using this as an example). This arguement seems horribly childish.

And to the people complaining about other people on here watching wrestling,...Who cares? How does someone else watching wrestling affect you? If you, personally, dont like wrestling then thats great cause you dont have to watch it. If people like craig like watching then thats great too, go watch some wrestling. I just dont understand the issues brought up in this thread at all due to them not being issues at all.
Sports Fan and eBook Author
Minnesota Sports blog: MinnesotaSportsScene.com
Pro Wrestling blog: ProWrestlingViews.com
eBook Author Web site/blog: Craig-Hansen.com
CraigInTwinCities

Postby purduerowdie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:52 pm

yeah, i'd go like this

1. college basketball
2. college football
3. that NBA agent idea that was originally in DDSPB
4. something new/different thats not covered in a good game, kind of like when TPG first came out. maybe F1. any other ideas?
purduerowdie

Postby jbergey » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:07 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:I don't know how the poll will turn out (although I will post updates to let everyone know how its going) but some people asked how can you top TEW so here's my background in the world of pro wrestling. I used to be a huge fan - I would sit down right now and watch Hogan v Warrior or anything that the Million Dollar Man did or definitely some old Shawn Michaels or Bret Hart matches. Maybe those weren't amazing athletic endeavors (in the case of the Hulkster at least) but they were good stories and entertaining even though they were scripted - just like a play or a movie. If pro wrestling wins the poll how do we top TEW? Well maybe that's not the goal. Adam is a tremendous developer and a great guy and he has built a very loyal following with TEW but that doesn't mean there's not room for another wrestling game - especially one that is different. Like some people here have mentioned, TEW may be a great game but its not for them so I definitely feel there is a group of people that would like a wrestling sim but one that is a little different than TEW. I guess the poll will tell us how many of those people there are - we're not making a copy of TEW - that would be pointless. If wrestling wins the vote we'll do something creative and put our own style to it and hopefully it will appeal to a large audience of wrestling fans.

I think you have the talent to accomplish this but I am curious which route you were thinking about going. TEW pretty much accomplishes the Owner/Booker aspect of wrestling and Wrestling Spirit 2 does a nice job of "Kayfabe" and simulating a wrestlers career. TNM7 is a nice blend of the two but not as good as I think it could be so that direction might be somewhere where you could create a "niche" market for yourself. Whatever the results are I am excited to hear that you are looking into other avenues of the sim market.
jbergey

vote of sims

Postby fredreed » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:26 pm

You could have a pro wrestling sim set up like title bout boxing. In other words in title bout boxing where you only have two boxers fight each other, you could have two wrestlers or more wrestle in a ring for either the title or just have them wrestle. If you don't know how title bout boxing is set up then take a look at it to see what I am talking about.

tip This is just an idea I have for a pro wrestling sim.
fredreed

Postby CraigInTwinCities » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:08 am

Personally, the biggest weakness of all the "pro wrestling" sims out there is the CRAPPY controls in the "arcade/action/fight" mode.

I'd say eliminate that completely and work on something that might emphasize the presentation of the weekly shows and PPVs... with the option to WATCH your results, including storylines, interviews, cutscenes, ring run-ins, etc.

But to do this right, the game would need:

1) A LOT of complex development work done and
2) A TON of mod community support, so that real promotions and stars could be mixed into the game

Because of these two broadly-defined factors, development time on it is gonna be huge, so I'd say go with DDS:CB first, then do wrestling as a break from "hardcore sports sims," then leap back into hardcore sports sims in a big way following that, with college and pro football... in fact... and you might HATE me for this... DON'T MAKE THE COLLEGE AND PRO GAMES SEPARATE... be the first company to dare to make one football game that encompassed college football (with high school recruiting) AND the pro grame (with the pro draft)!! Then you could have coach careers that move up and down all levels of the game... and it's a selling point no other gridiron game offers, to the best of my knowledge...
Sports Fan and eBook Author
Minnesota Sports blog: MinnesotaSportsScene.com
Pro Wrestling blog: ProWrestlingViews.com
eBook Author Web site/blog: Craig-Hansen.com
CraigInTwinCities

Postby painmantle » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:24 am

Gary Gorski wrote:I don't know how the poll will turn out (although I will post updates to let everyone know how its going)

I'm dying for one of these updates :)
"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left."

Rhett
painmantle

Postby Jballer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:57 am

Me too. It would be nice to know if voting everyday is helping or If what I am doing is just a lost cause!! LOL
Blake Champion TCB Story-Texas A&M Coach

TCBA League-San Diego St. Coach

NDBA League-Portland Trail Blazers General Manager
Jballer

Postby Zorro » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:11 pm

CraigInTwinCities wrote: DON'T MAKE THE COLLEGE AND PRO GAMES SEPARATE... be the first company to dare to make one football game that encompassed college football (with high school recruiting) AND the pro grame (with the pro draft)!! Then you could have coach careers that move up and down all levels of the game... and it's a selling point no other gridiron game offers, to the best of my knowledge...
That would take years to develop well. Look at all the error messages and crashes we got {At the start} just with DDSPB. Look at all the complaints we had in the forum over this. Now, Can you imagine what would happen with two separate NEW games with completely different rules on the field and off? Remember, Every little detail has to be researched for two separate worlds {College and Pro} and then implemented into a program somehow. I just do not see this happening. I could see him doing a Pro football game {If he so chooses}because there is really not a good one out there.[That is fun to play} To be fair I would also have to say that there is a top shelf college football game already out there. So in my opinion [And only mine}I would like to see him tackle a Pro football game. I feel to make a great game you have to be very passionate about the game. {To add every important detail should be fun and not work.}We know Gary is very passionate about college basketball but does he feel the same way about Pro football? Also would he just contract it out?{Get someone else to do it at Wolverine]But he has not said a thing about football. He asked us if we wanted wrestling or College basketball as our next choice. I guess my choice is College basketball. He has already made it a top shelf Sim and it would be interesting to see what new horizons he would reach for in this new one..................................Z
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
Zorro
Elite Member

Postby ranger » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:34 pm

CraigInTwinCities wrote:DON'T MAKE THE COLLEGE AND PRO GAMES SEPARATE

I've often fantasised about a basketball game that did this. Something like Football (soccer) manager, where you had every significant league in the world running in one game.

That would be sweet.
ranger

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions