Wolverine Project Suggestion

Discuss anything you like related to Wolverine Studios

Wolverine Project Suggestion

Postby southernwebb04 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 pm

Due to there being no 'proper' forum for Wolverine suggestions, I'll place it here.

Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the United States. I feel that a College Lacrosse video game could be fantastic, not only for the sport, but for the supporters that have longed for a Lacrosse Video Game for years. The sport, for those who are not familiar, is a cross-breed between Hockey and Football(Soccer.) So the engine wouldn't be very tough, I'd imagine, though I have nearly no programming experience.

For a glimpse of the NCAA Lacrosse Web-Site and Teams,
http://www.ncaasports.com/lacrosse/mens

For the history of Lacrosse,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse

I'm assuming this is the Pinnacle Lacrosse Forum on the net, the numbers are amazing,
http://www.lacrosseforums.com/index.php?

Though I'm no expert, it wouldn't be hard to find suggestions for such a game, as any Lacrosse Forums I guarantee have talked about wanting a game of this type.

Feeback anyone?
southernwebb04

Postby CraigInTwinCities » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:52 am

You... can't... be... serious....

Lacrosse has less market penetration than... soccer... even less than that, it has less market penetration that the NHL!

Count me as one vote for "anything BUT lacrosse!"
Sports Fan and eBook Author
Minnesota Sports blog: MinnesotaSportsScene.com
Pro Wrestling blog: ProWrestlingViews.com
eBook Author Web site/blog: Craig-Hansen.com
CraigInTwinCities

Postby painmantle » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:09 am

I'd vote for Curling
"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left."

Rhett
painmantle

Postby Gary Gorski » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:47 pm

First I appreciate your feedback and suggestions - thank you for taking the time to post. I don't have any experience whatsoever with lacrosse (or soccer and despite living in Michigan I'm not a huge hockey fan) so that kind of game would be out of my realm but if someone were to create a good lacrosse sim we'd definitely consider it for inclusion into our stable of games.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby southernwebb04 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:03 pm

CraigInTwinCities wrote:You... can't... be... serious....

Lacrosse has less market penetration than... soccer... even less than that, it has less market penetration that the NHL!

Count me as one vote for "anything BUT lacrosse!"

You obviously have no idea how big the sport is then do you? I always thought there was a 'code' on forums, that if you don't know what the hell you are talking about, then just turn the other way.

If you've ever visited the Northeast region, you'd see that the last thing on their mind is Soccer, and Lacrosse is easily in the Top 3 on sports. Down south here in Texas, it's getting that way as well, with many high schools adding the sport to the Athletic Department.
southernwebb04

Postby Bryan Swartz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:38 pm

Just a reminder to keep it civil here please. Personal attacks are unnecessary.
Bryan Swartz

Postby CraigInTwinCities » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:20 am

My comment was only on the status of the sport.

Of course, as with all minor-to-nonexistant sports (soccer fans tend to behave in similar fashion), if you say, "that's a minor sport," then they categorize you as someone who doesn't get it and are told to shut up.

No, I know about the sports of lacrosse, thank you very much. It doesn't even rank in the Top 10, in terms of popularity, broadcast ratings, revenue generation, etc.:

1. NFL/NCAA Football
2. NBA/NCAA Hoops
3. NASCAR
4. Major Leage/NCAA Baseball
5. Pro golf
6. NHL/College hockey
7. MLS/Olympic/college soccer
8. Volleyball (college and pro beach)
9. WWE, college and Olympic Wrestling
10. Extreme fighting/Mixed Martial Arts

...and I'm not even getting close to lacrosse yet. How the above 10 sports are listed is somewhat debateable, but the real point is that all of them are undeniably more popular than lacrosse. Sorry.

Even at the Olympic level, where such minor sports are put in more of a spotlight, I could name 10 Olympic events that generate more interest, viewership, etc. I mean, is there any more-popular summer Olympic sport than girls gymnastics? (Thanks, Nadia Comeniche and Kerry Strug, et. al.) Are there many winter sports more popular than skiing and bobsledding? I could go on, but I'm honestly not trying to be cruel here.

Of course, if one is into a particular sport, one's perspective tends to get skewed a bit, which is entirely understandable... but is no reason to get nasty with someone who's speaking the truth about the sport's relative popularity compared to other sports.

Personally, I'd rather watch pro surfing, but that's me... surfing's minor, too... unless you live on the beaches of Hawaii and southern Cali.
Sports Fan and eBook Author
Minnesota Sports blog: MinnesotaSportsScene.com
Pro Wrestling blog: ProWrestlingViews.com
eBook Author Web site/blog: Craig-Hansen.com
CraigInTwinCities

Postby southernwebb04 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:50 am

Yeah I got out of line bud, I knew what you were saying, it's been a long day. Although I fully expect Lacrosse to be up there within the next decade easily.
southernwebb04

Postby Cooleyvol » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:43 am

CITC, I'm curious as to whether you took into account the global moneys spent on football (soccer). I think not.
Cooleyvol

Postby Shaa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:18 pm

Cooleyvol wrote:CITC, I'm curious as to whether you took into account the global moneys spent on football (soccer). I think not.

7. MLS/Olympic/college soccer

He's only taking into account the US version of Soccer. In that context it is not that large a market. Once you leave the States and hit real football I don't think any sport even comes close to it. And this includes ANY US sport.

Lacrosse is ok but Curling now....there we go :D
Shaa

Next

Return to General Discussions