Some Questions. Please Help.

Some Questions. Please Help.

Postby Servant144k » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:28 pm

I recently downloaded the demos for DDS: Pro Football 2016 & Draft Day Sports: College Football 2017. I would like to say that I am very impressed. I have been playing PC Football simulations on and off for over 35 years. I have not been this impressed since XOR's NFL Challenge all the way back in 1985. I plan on buying the full version to one of these or even both after understanding some things. If anyone can help with the following questions I would appreciate it.

1-What is the difference between the demo and full versions?

2-It appears that I can call the plays as coach in the College game but not in the Pro. Example: I use playbook then filter formation then call the play and watch the icons play it out. I enjoy this feature a lot.

3-Are Stats or Plays "FORCED" to succeed or fail as they play out? This is hard to explain but I'll try. In Out of the Park Baseball say I have Babe Ruth batting against Nolan Ryan....the outcome is NOT predetermined. Ruth May hit a homerun,strikeout,double or whatever....I have saved the game before the at bats and experimented with this. I guess it uses RNG each time.

Thank you for any help.
Servant144k

Re: Some Questions. Please Help.

Postby Robmeister89 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:04 pm

1. Demo only allows you to play 1 season in career mode (or sandbox too, not sure). The full version allows you to play endlessly and also allows you to participate in online leagues.

2. The College game is newer and has a few more features as well as a better UI than the pro version. A new pro version is currently in the works if I'm not mistaken. They haven't spoken about it but with few updates to the College game recently one can assume they're working on the next pro game. I'm not suggesting you should hold out on buying the pro version, the next version could be many many months away.

3. Nothing is forced when it comes to these games. Different things can happen and you will get a different result every time you run the game. You may even have the better team lose to the lesser talented team in some instances because they played a smarter game.

I just want to add in that these are both great games and you'll enjoy them very much. Online leagues are the place to go, though. Nothing beats having a chance to best a group of real life GMs in winning a championship.
Robmeister89

Postby Servant144k » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Thank you Robmeister89. I decided I'm going to buy both games. I'm going to learn the ropes for about a week in single player then look into your league.
Servant144k

Postby TheRivals40 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:05 pm

Servant144k wrote:3-Are Stats or Plays "FORCED" to succeed or fail as they play out? This is hard to explain but I'll try. In Out of the Park Baseball say I have Babe Ruth batting against Nolan Ryan....the outcome is NOT predetermined. Ruth May hit a homerun,strikeout,double or whatever....I have saved the game before the at bats and experimented with this. I guess it uses RNG each time.

Thank you for any help.

Just want to add here. Everything is physics based, they say. This leads to a lot of randomness, sometimes excessive as in the case of the college game. But definitely not pre-determined.
NOppenheimer
TheRivals40

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:19 am

Correct, the physics based concept allows us to plot movements on the field. We know exactly where players go so we can re-create (most) plays. And every play is different as players sometimes turn left instead of right, etc. You can literally see the different in speed on the field if you have a 100 WR running around a 80 speed CB. In many cases you can see the agility of the RB as they try to avoid tacklers.

The best way to describe it is a computer re-creation of the old vibrating table-top football games. Put guys on the field, point them in certain directions, and let them go.

Another way of building sims would be to use math/stats/probabilities similar to a computer representation of strat-o-matic baseball.

Both definitely have pros and cons, but for my football games I gravitated to physics specifically so I could render actual plays.
brooks_piggott

Postby Servant144k » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:53 pm

Brooks_Piggott All I know is that I'm having a blast with the system you are using. I'm getting a new puppy soon. I was going to name him 'Seattle" after my favorite NFL team. Now I am going to name him 'Piggott'.
Servant144k

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2016 General Discussion