Purple and Gold Chronicles

Purple and Gold Chronicles

Postby The Purple Emperor » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:51 pm

The rain fell from the sky, pouring ceaselessly over us. I was glad for it, for it concealed my tears.

"I'm sorry, Michael."

Her hair was wet, her eyes shimmering. Was she crying, too? I couldn't tell, and to look into her face was to be hit with torrents of pain. And so my eyes dropped to my hand. What once seemed shining silver now appeared moody, unhappy gray, the amethyst stone dulled by the deluge crashing down. There was a promise in that ring, and now that promise was broken - shattered as my soul.

"You have to understand," she continued. "I'm leaving for New York tomorrow. You're here, I'm there. I can't live like that."

"But I told you I'd go with you!"

She bowed her head, the noxious odor of too much water intermingling with the strawberry-apple-vanilla of her favorite shampoo to create a scent I couldn't place, and didn't care to.

"You wouldn't be happy, Michael."

"I'd be happy as long as I was with you."

In answer, she sighed, turning her back. Although she wore a coat, I could still picture the precise line of her spine, the one I ran my fingers over that morning after we made love, laughing at the happy coziness of my apartment against the angry storm. "No... just accept this for what it is."

Before I could respond, before I could continue fighting, she ran off down the street, a wall of rain soon concealing her from sight. From my life.

I stood there, promise ring still in my flat hand, literally reeling inside from the shock, my head bombarded with the dizzy unreality of it all.

And so, four days after my 31st birthday, in the last year of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 20s, and the last season before he entered free agency waters, my life plunged into a lake of despair.
The Purple Emperor

Re: Purple and Gold Chronicles

Postby The Purple Emperor » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:33 am

In a fit of sudden inspiration, I'd dashed to the airport, arriving shortly before her flight left. I envisioned the cinematic charm of the grand gesture, her swept away in a tidal wave of love and romance. Unfortunately, she was cool to my passions, gazing at me with her eyes, blue and luminescent as the Aegean. She promised, after much pressing, to write me, and then boarded her plane without a touch or a kiss. And so again, I found myself watching her leave, her blonde hair a golden cloud about her neck. It had a tendency to poodle-sheepdog after being too long in the rain, but I still found it adorable beyond words, filling me with an indescribable tenderness. The sea was in her eyes, the sun in her hair, and oh God, oh God, to see her take flight, flying so far away she may as well have gone direct to the heaven she came from! I stood there at the gate, watching as the plane took off in that Southern California sky, and wept. I didn't care about the stares, the uncomfortable coughs. My light, my life, was gone, and nothing could illuminate my internal darkness.

Adorable, too, were our nicknames for each other. While we were Michael and Michelle, so close in spelling, down to the first four letters and a stray consonant and vowel matching, the pronunciations were naturally different. And so we called, wrote, and referred to one another by our phonetics. Mykell and Mihshell. It was insufferably sweet to our friends, who would invariably roll their eyes on hearing us. But it was something special, something that belonged to only us. And yet, I had the stomach-wrenching feeling that there would be no more of that. The intimate, affectionate Mykell and Mihshell would be replaced by the formal, indifferent Michael and Michelle. As long as she didn't call me Mike. I'm not a trucker from Ohio, after all.

Even in our careers, we were close, yet distinct. I was a sportswriter for a certain rival to the LA Times. They had us bested on political and world news, but we trounced them in sports. The owner of our paper was of the particular belief that it was sports that dominated the American landscape, and so he hired the best writers to cover one specific team, and one team only. I had charge of the Lakers, the purple and gold royalty - Kareem its king of kings.

As for Mihshell (I refused to surrender until forced to), she was a journalist of a different flavor, the magazine to my newspaper. In fact, she was going to New York to become a feature writer for Vogue. I was in the realm of men and sports, and she had dominion over the land of women and fashion. Even in that, we were a perfect complement. I could not, and never will, be with a woman who is also a newspaper writer. Then professional jealousy would develop if our successes were unequal. Look at Scott and Zelda - the former a titan of American literature, the latter with aspirations of her own, yet thwarted by her own mental instability and living in the shadows of her husband's triumphs. When I myself was younger, I dreamt of becoming a novelist, but soon found I lacked the imagination, the creative spirit, to wander well the otherworldly realms of fiction. More to the point, I hated the first bubblings of postmodernism sweeping the country in recent years. Call me a reactionary if you like, but I found the traditional forms the best.

When I staggered into work the next day, beset by an insomnia that would be my lone companion for weeks, I found myself cut to the heart at seeing my beloved Hermes typewriter. Normally I cherished the quirky whimsy of its seafoam color, but I found the hue too close to her eyes, and so I dug out a drab brown Smith-Corona from the bank of reserves the paper kept on hand. Its blandness soothed me, as when one settles for inoffensive foods upon being assaulted by the virulence of the flu. I spoke to no one, even when some of my coworkers asked what was wrong. Speech was impossible, and so I resolved to throw myself into my work.

I had just commenced writing up the team's season preview when I received a call from Ed Culling, the Lakers' assistant general manager. The actual GM was notorious for his hatred of the media, and relied on his underling to disseminate news to us of the Third Estate.

"Hey, Michael," came Ed's easy-going baritone. "Got some news for you. The boss isn't happy with what's around Kareem, so we've got a trade coming down. I'll get you the details later, but I wanted to give you a heads up, since I know you like to get an early start on the preview. Figured I'd save you some work."

I forced my voice to a normal tone. "Oh, really? Can you at least tell me who's going? I'll just cut whoever it is out of the preview."

"Nope." Laughter was in his voice. "Just hold off until this afternoon. Talk to you then."

The dial tone sounded in my ear for some time before I finally set the receiver down. Change in my life, change in my team. Change all around me.
The Purple Emperor

Postby The Purple Emperor » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:57 pm

I resolved to proceed with the preview despite the heavy grief coursing through me. A fresh, white sheet rolled up in the Smith-Corona, my fingers on the keys, set to type... and then my eye stupidly fell on the framed picture sitting on my desk. Mihshell and I in Venice, on the Adriatic, the large and lovely sun leisurely sinking into the water behind us. We're more silhouettes than anything because of the photo's composition, but the light outlining us makes our bodies glow with a surreal beauty. Perhaps that's why I like it so much. The abstraction of our forms against the light and the water, the richness of reds and yellows, the sparkling blue... they're a color combination that allows my mind to drift and think of other trips, other points of love in our relationship.

But now joy was shot through with sorrow, and an amber melancholy held me in morose suspension in my chair. It was during the dead period of the basketball calendar, and she had an interview with a major designer, so we'd combined work with pleasure, and gone together. It was a lovely week spent solely in The Bride of the Sea. I dreamed of going back at some future date to propose to her - Venice's aquatic charms have always appealed to me far more than the conventional romance associated with Paris. But now that dream was mere dust - she in a Big Apple, I in a City of Angels without my angel. I felt exiled as Dante, and there was nothing divine or comedic about how I felt.

The jangle of my phone interrupted the repeating replays of romantic reels in my head.

"Michael! Ed here!"

"Hello, Ed. What's the deal?"

"We sent our 1st round pick and Tom Abernathy to the Pistons for M.L. Carr, Leon Douglas, and Detroit's 2nd round pick in the next two drafts."

This was huge news. Carr was just 26, under contract for two more years, and one of the NBA's best defenders, in addition to be an exceptional rebounder for a wing. Douglas was a 22 year old rookie, drafted 4th overall in fact. Although raw, he was a 6'10, 230 pound big man who projected to be a very good rebounder. Of more immediate importance, he gave the team much needed size, and a legitimate backup to Kareem.

After I hung up with Ed, I was able to focus on the preview, spurred on by news of the trade.

Code: Select all
Point Guard
Lucius Allen – 29
Not the most consummate passer, but with a well-rounded game that functions well with the rest of the lineup. The question still needs to be asked if he’s a legitimate championship winning point guard due to his comparative lack of passing ability, but he’ll do for now.

Dwight Lamar – 25
Not a starter, and a poor backup, in all truth. The Lakers will need Allen to stay healthy, or move one of their surplus swings to upgrade this position.

Shooting Guard
Earl Tatum – 22
Quality handling and stealing upside, but right now, the second round pick who has been thrust into the lineup feels like just another guy. Finding a higher quality player here will be critical if the Purple and Gold wishes to hoist championship gold

Don Chaney – 30
The coaching staff sees upside in Tatum, so they’re starting him over the veteran Chaney, who boasts a powerful defensive game, but is a net zero on offense. Then again, given Kareem and co, is that really such a bad thing?

Johnny Neumann and Allen Murphy on the inactive list and do not project to play meaningful minutes this season.

Small Forward
M.L. Carr – 26
Everyone is fired up about the deal that just landed this kid. The gulf in talent between him and Cazzie Russell, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, is as immense as the oceans. Getting Carr proves the Lakers are serious about going for it all this year, and they gave up their first round pick to do so.

Cazzie Russell – 32
The front office tried frantically to move him, but no one wanted to put up with his contract. A mediocre player in every sense of the word, and on a deeper team would be roster fodder rather than the primary backup.

Charles Kupec – 23
He can draw contact. That’s the extent of his skills.

Marv Roberts is just a body.

Power Forward
Kermit Washington – 25
Stellar offensive rebounder who excels at getting to the line. Beyond that, there’s nothing special about him. Another area that could probably use improvement, but it’s not as critical as shooting guard, so the Lakers will ride with him.

Don Ford – 26
Will play both forward spots in a backup role, although he has no business seeing as much court time as he will.

Cornell Warner – 28
He doesn’t even deserve a contract to play professional basketball, but he’ll nonetheless serve as the third string 4 and 5. Another reason why the M.L. was so critical to the Purple and Gold.

Center
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar – 29
If you need me to say anything about him, turn in your basketball fan card. God in basketball form.

Leon Douglas – 22
Can already get to the line and play solid defense. Hard to believe the Pistons gave up on the #4 overall pick so soon, but evidently they didn’t see in him what the Lakers’ organization does. To our benefit, for sure. Going from Warner to him is like going from Cazzie to M.L. Maybe even a bigger jump than that. Everyone takes about Carr, but Douglas may well turn out the more vital pickup when all is said and done.

Of course this is all an excerpt. My actual article was much more extensive. My closing line - "As ever, the chances of title glory rest solely on Kareem's 7'2 frame."

At least the front office recognized he needed help and executed the move to bring him just that. Hopefully they'll make other deals to fix the giant holes still resident on the roster.

The corresponding void in my heart could of course be filled only by Mihshell. Though it'd only been a day since she flew away, I hoped - no, I prayed - she would write posthaste and provide the slightest balm to the pain throbbing in my body, my soul, my everything.
The Purple Emperor

Postby The Purple Emperor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:04 pm

I traveled out to Brooklyn for the team's opening night. The first quarter began with ugliness, both teams missing the combined first nine shots before Nate "Tiny" Archibald nailed a 3 pointer. The rest of the period things heated up somewhat, and thanks to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 8 points, the Lakers held a slim 25-22 lead at the end of the first. Lucius Allen had picked up two fouls early in the first, forcing Dwight Lamar to get the majority of minutes. There's little question this Lakers squad was going to be built on defense - The Nets shot just 35% the first twelve minutes, though the Lakers were little better at 40%.

The second quarter was equally ugly, only this time my boys couldn't buy a shot with Rockefeller money, and so we went into the locker room down 41-44. Don Chaney, who I'd praised so much in my preview, was shooting us out of the game, making just 2 of his 11 shots, and not even M.L. Carr's 10 points on a lovely 4 for 5, with a block and steal besides. The Nets used a balanced game against us, though Nate Archibald was taking advantage of too much Dwight Lamar to give us fits, and though the halftime box score didn't reflect it, Al Skinner seemed to be in everyone's face and wreaking havoc.

We continued chipping away at the lead in the third, finally taking it and managing to hang on for a 72-67 advantage going into the final period. Kareem woke up in this one, scoring 10 points to hit the 20 mark. M.L. Carr contributed a lot as well, but though we were holding them to 36% shooting and hitting 47.2% ourselves, they had double our three pointers and 8 more free throw attempts at a higher percentage. This was not going to be an easy one, particularly since we'd had the advantage of Kim Hughes sitting out most of the period, which allowed Kareem to rip apart Jim Fox. Not that Kareem was completely flawless however. Twice Nate Archibald made him like stupid with deft, quick shots around the God of Basketball.

Sure enough, five straight points from Al Skinner early on cut our margin to two points. It was white-knuckle most of the rest of the way, particularly when Earl Tatum fouled out and we had to go forth with Don Cheney. But some magical defensive plays by M.L. Carr, Kareem Kareeming, and a couple key threes from our backcourt made it a 101-91 final, season-opening victory that was far, far closer than it looked. And it felt like we should have won by more, given the 47.2% to 39.5% field goal advantage, but it was still a victory.

No question as to Player of the Game. Kareem muscled his way to 29 points and 11 rebounds. M.L. Carr was exactly what the Lakers had hoped for, too. He had 18 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 blocks, making 7 of 10. Kermit Washington also double-doubled with 15 points and 10 rebounds. But the backcourt defense continued to worry me. Nate Archibald, Robert Hawkins, and Al Skinner combined for 54 of Brooklyn's 91 points. Also troubling was Dwight Lamar getting 33 minutes of playing time. That wasn't going to cut it.

It may seem strange that I focused more on the negative aspects, instead of being thrilled at the win. But as I sat there in my crummy room in the Brooklyn Super 8, I was left alone with my thoughts. I usually called Mihshell after I filed my game report, just to hear the sound of her soft voice. And now I couldn't do that. Nor could I go into Manhattan and look for her - I didn't want to seem desperate, and besides, I still didn't know where she lived. No letter came in the three weeks since she'd been gone. And going to the Vogue offices... that was a movie move, and I already knew how that would turn out after the airport incident.

Instead, I sighed, and picked up Interview with the Vampire. The writing was wretched, but reading a vampire story was a welcome relief from the stresses and unhappiness plaguing me. I didn't want to go out in public, even it meant I might run into Mihshell. I'd be too likely to make a fool of myself. And yet, the sense that was she near... I was tempted. So tempted.
The Purple Emperor

Postby The Purple Emperor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:01 pm

It was with great relief that I entered the Staples Center. Mihshell had never shared my love for basketball, and so no memories lurked in wait to ambush. Already I had changed many of the places I ate, and it was the only still pulsing hope that she might find her way back West and to me. October had given way to November, and the city was buzzing over anticipation of staring down the Phoenix Suns in the home opener. Paul Westphal would doubtless give us problems, just as Nate Archibald had in Brooklyn, and M.L. Carr was not fully fit, having tripped and banged up his knee in practice the day before.

I took my seat in the press box, politely saying hello to the colleagues I knew, and settled in, setting up the Smith-Corona. My Hermes was still banished due to pain.

A 17 point, 5 rebound performance by Kareem paced us in the first quarter, as he was simply magnificent, grabbing board after board, and hitting shot after shot. Using his tall, sleek moves to bull past a double-team for a dunk, now fighting through a foul for the layup and converting the free throw for the 3 point play. But the Suns stayed in with 15 of 16 free throws to stay in range 31-25. Once again, Lucius Allen sat early with two fouls, and before the first was over, Dwight Lamar had three fouls of his own. Discipline at the point guard spot was already a growing trend, and I made up my mind to ask Ed about it in the postgame presser.

The second quarter saw the Suns draw within a single basket for long stretches, as Phoenix took advantage of Kareem's absence for most of the period. When he came back, we opened up a 9 point margin that was cut down by 2, because we couldn't make a single damned free throw to save our lives. By halftime, we were up 53-49, thanks to M.L. Carr's buzzer-beating jumper, but the free throw difference was grim - Phoenix - 19/20, Lakers - 10/20. Much like the Nets, the Suns piloted a balanced offense, though Paul Westphal's team-high 10 points were the result of a flawless 8 for 8 from the line. Kareem had 18 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals, and no one else really stood out for either side, other than maybe Keith Erickson's 8 points and 4 rebounds off the bench for Phoenix - 3 of them coming on the offensive glass and resulting in putback points.

Our defense completely vanished in the third quarter, and we lost the lead. A back and forth war started, with Paul Westphal and Curtis Perry carrying Phoenix, while Kareem chewed through to the Suns' third string center, but that resulted in the most embarrassing moment of his Purple and Gold career. Dale Schlueter stripped the ball from Kareem and went coast to coast for the dunk to give the Suns the lead anew. But then Kareem got PISSED, and he proceeded to throw his weight around down low, drawing free throw after free throw. At the same time, Don Chaney suddenly caught fire, pouring in points. By the time the fourth started, Kareem had 39 points and we had a 94-86 lead.

And naturally, we proceeded to turn over the ball like we were Santa and the Suns were children, and giving up offensive boards galore. Leon Douglas showed his rookie greenness, fouling Alvan Adams on three straight shots for an easy six Suns points. Phoenix lead at the mid-point. The Lakers continued missing free throws, but somehow we got enough when Kareem came back to regain the lead, even though he missed a wide open layup. It was just that kind of game. Still, the battle raged on, but we pulled away after Kareem scored some key buckets, made a monster block of Alvan Adams, and Lucius Allen finally proved the only damn Laker who could make his charity stripe shots on the night. Once Paul Westphal fouled inside the last minute, we could breathe easy and walked out with a 118-110 win that once again was far closer than that.

Kareem - 46 points - 15 rebounds - 3 assists - 3 steals - 1 block
Don Chaney - 15 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals off the bench

All five starters scored double digits, and the Suns were balanced all throughout their 12 men - no one standing out. What did stand out - M.L. Carr going 1 of 10 from the free throw line, part of the team's infuriating 39-66 performance - just 59.1%. 59.1%! 59.1%! 59.1%! My God, my nephew's second grade basketball team could shoot 59.1% from the free throw line. And these were **** professionals?!

2-0 and I was miserable. Sick about the Lakers' hopes for a title run. Sick about Mihshell. Sick about the emptiness in my life. The sun and blue waters of Before New York were now dark, gray, angry squalls inside. I needed to do something to escape the storm run rampant in me. But what?

What do you do and where do you go when your world has imploded?
The Purple Emperor

Postby The Purple Emperor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:07 pm

When I questioned Ed about the point guard issues at the press conference, he pointed to the 2-0 record and said he didn't foresee any changes on that front. And that was pretty much that. Two days later, I made the drive to Phoenix for a rematch against the Suns. We barely clung to a 4 point lead after the first, as early turnovers, and again charity stripe failures hampered us. Worse still, Kareem scored just 4 points in the first 12, and didn't get his first bucket until almost 10 minutes in. Fortunately, M.L. Carr stepped up to provide a considerable amount of our 28 points.

I thought we might have a chance of running away with it when Kareem snapped out of in the second quarter and we built our lead to 10, but then the Suns sank three shots behind the arc, including two straight possessions, and we just barely managed to go in with a 52-50 halftime lead. Kareem had 14 and 7, and Dwight Lamar surprised everyone with 10 bench points. Phoenix, meanwhile, was riding the three-headed tandem of Curtis Perry, Alvan Adams (both with 11 points) and Paul Westphal (8 points, 4 assists, not a missed shot in sight).

The third quarter was a constant theme of losing the lead, getting it back and building it up, and then blowing it again before repeating the cycle. Fittingly, we dropped from a 3 point edge to a tie on Curtis Perry's three pointer with four seconds left, Phoenix's 8th trey to our 0 of the game. That was 24 points we were disadvantaged right there. That number grew to 10 as Curtis Perry scored again early in the fourth to give them the lead, and one of the Van Arsdales hit a triple as the shot clock expired to make that lead bigger. From there it was a fight back, but when Earl Tatum gave us our first 3 pointer of the night to retake the lead, they came right back with one of their own. #11.

But then a miracle happened. Kareem, who got shot out in the third quarter, forced Alvan Adams to foul out. Then Lucius Allen, who'd read about my comments in the paper, got a masterful steal off Westphal, slammed it home, and kept hitting clutch shots from the floor and at the line. We roared back, and as a final screw you to the Suns, to me, to all his haters, Lucius nailed a three pointer as the game's horn sounded, giving us the 110-102 comeback victory and a 3-0 record. 22 points, 12 rebounds, 2 steals and 3 blocks for Kareem, in what was his quietest statline of the young season. 23 points and 4 rebounds for Lucius Allen in his statement game that also saw him break 30 minutes for the first time that year.

And once again, Curtis Perry (24 points) and the Suns had to wonder what might have been. It was an ugly game for turnovers, too - 20 by us, 24 by them.

Ugly, like the tears I cried nightly. Still nothing from Mishell.
The Purple Emperor

Postby The Purple Emperor » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:57 pm

"Oscar wants you in the office right away."

Oscar Kowalski. Sports Editor. A barrel-chested man whose hair and wife both left him. Insisted on Oscar. If you called him Mr. Kowalski or told a Polish joke, you were promptly fired.

"Michael!" he boomed upon my entry. "Sit your skinny ass down!"

When I did, he wheeled around in his creaking leather chair, glaring at me with grey eyes.

"What the hell is with you lately? Your writing has suddenly turned to ****. Circulation's dropped since the season started, and that's down to your half-assed stories."

I cringed. While he was telling the truth, I always made it a strict policy to separate work from my personal life. I lived by the rule that bad things happened when you allowed the two to mix. But now I had to allow a little crossover, because Oscar had the same look he did right before he canned someone. Sick bastard actually enjoyed firing people.

"My girlfriend left me. She's gone to New York."

"What? I thought you were gay."

The perils of compartmentalization. People make assumptions about you.

"No. Michelle and I have been together for two years."

"I thought you said she left you."

I sighed inwardly. In addition to being a hardass, Oscar had an infuriating habit of precision with words. He once bawled out an intern for using that instead of who in a sentence, and then told the kid to clear out in 20 minutes.

"She did. Vogue offered her a position. I said I'd go with her, but she refused."

Oscar grunted, pulling out a Lucky Strike from the crumpled pack on his desk. After lighting, he took a drag, remarking through the smoke, "Sounds like bullshit to me. Probably had another guy on the side."

I fantasized about leaping over the desk and pummeling him until blood poured. But I wasn't in the mood for jail, and it would just be more stress on top of everything else.

"Anyway," Oscar continued, "I can't have your sloppy work in my paper. You're suspended for a week. I'll be nice and make it with pay. Until then, Jake is taking over for you. Get your head together. Now get out."

Lovely, I thought as I headed home. Jake Naveen, 6'3 and still with the lean muscle from his days playing for Syracuse. The brass loved him because he was a former D-1 player who could actually write a coherent sentence, and his insights as someone who actually played at a high level were something I could never match. I always felt dwarfed by the kid, as I don't even reach six feet and even in high school I was never exactly built. His beat was the Clippers, who no one really cared about. Especially not like the Lakers. And here I was dropping the ball on one of the most coveted positions on the paper.

I spent the next two days in a drunken daze, guzzling screwdrivers like a cold snap was killing off all the oranges. I watched the team get skewered by double digits in Atlanta, losing for the first time of the year. Same old story - missed free throws, giving up 3 pointers galore, and turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. And this was supposed to be a contender.

I was screwing up, the Lakers were screwing up. Everything was screwed up.

Suspended for five more days. And I didn't really care. Pelt me with a blizzard, freeze me in subzero temperatures. Take away warmth forever, and it wouldn't matter as long as she came back to me.
The Purple Emperor

Postby The Purple Emperor » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:24 pm

"So I'm thinking of trading Kareem."

"What?"

"This isn't a championship team, Michael. Why not break it up now?"

I contemplated my glass - amaretto with orange juice - and considered. I'd misread Kareem's contract status earlier, and the Lakers had him for another season before this one. Probably the shock of Mishell's leaving. And it was true that the team looked like a playoff team rather than a true contender. I'd seen enough games already to know this. And yet... and yet...

"But you already traded away your first rounder. The fanbase would riot. And why are you telling me this?"

Ed's chuckle rumbled over the line. "Because Jake told me you're out for a week. Therefore, you won't run off to the office with the story. Especially not since he'd write it."

...Damn it.

"Anyway," he continued, "I've been talking to teams all day. We're close to making a decision. I'll call you when we've made it."

Three hours later, he called back and by that time I was singing Buddy Holly songs, sprawled out on my couch.

"We've sent Kareem, our 1977 2nd and the Pistons' 1977 and 1978 2nds to Detroit for our 1st back and Detroit's 1979 1st rounder."

"Jesus. Good thing I'm drunk right now, so I can pretend this is a nightmare. Why couldn't you do this when I got back, Ed? I wanted to write the **** thing."

"To make our pick as bad as possible. And Michael? Go somewhere. Being drunk alone is bad news."

Good advice. But I didn't take it. Too much effort to move. Instead I finished that vampire book and stared at the ceiling, dreaming of Mishell.

The city was absolutely livid when news of the trade broke. Motown was ecstatic, especially Bob Lanier had just gone down for two months with a broken elbow. Now they would be able to cover for Lanier's injury with no problems, and have a Twin Towers set when he came back.

As you might expect, the Lakers got blown off the court in Houston. Astonishingly enough, the Pistons were flattened in Portland in Kareem's first game, despite his usual 25+ point, 9 rebound, 2+ block, 2+ steal game. I began to think Ed was smarter than I realized. But then Detroit won their next two games to pull to the #8 seed in the playoffs. And we shocked Dr. J's 76ers by 10 in Philadelphia, keyed by 26 points, 10 assists, and 3 steals from Lucius Allen, who also forced World B. Free into an 0 for 8 night and 18 points, 9 rebounds, 5 steals from M.L. Carr as part of forcing 28 turnovers for the massive upset.

Still early in the season, but Ed's decision to abruptly dismiss Kareem wasn't looking good. We were a perfectly acceptable .500 so far, and that wasn't going to be anywhere near bad enough to get comfortably in the lottery.

Would stability and glory ever come? Or was it all destined to be a muddled, confusing mess?

I had to go back into work the next day, and I wasn't particularly looking forward to it. Still nothing from Mishell.
The Purple Emperor

Postby zike_42 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:24 am

Wow, trading Kareem for two first round draft picks. Are you serious? Sure the Lakers pick will be a high one without Kareem but there would has to be better deals around there. Too bad you couldn't leak the trade rumour to drum up a bidding war for the big man. Any good draft prospects?
zike_42
Elite Member

Postby The Purple Emperor » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Thank you for commenting, zike_42. Madness, yes, but you have to be a little crazy sometimes. Hopefully there will be someone worthwhile in the class. Who knows what the RNG gods will make of history?
The Purple Emperor

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2016 Dynasty Reports