Veggie Tales: The Cale Jefferson story

Chet Ubetcha, Kansas City Star sportswriter

Postby 3manweave » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:10 pm

[December 4th, 2015 - Downtown Kansas City, MO (8:25 AM)]

Here is the latest statistical update for the 5-2 UMKC Kangaroos.

3manweave

Angres Thorpe, UMKC Lead Assistant

Postby 3manweave » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:04 pm

[December 5th, 2015 - Angres' office, Kansas City, MO (10:45 AM)]

Chris Hollender and I overheard Robert Levett and Terrance Simmons get into a loud argument in the locker room after this morning's shootaround, apparently over a small amount of money stemming from a poker game. Playing poker for small amounts of money isn't against the NCAA rules per se (as long as coaches aren't involved), but with NCAA compliance making a routine stop here this week...we probably don't want them to advertise it. Cale talked to them and smoothed it out, but it's a situation we can't let get out of control.
3manweave

Chet Ubetcha, Kansas City Star sportswriter

Postby 3manweave » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:15 pm

[December 7th, 2015 - Game #8, at Mississippi State]

UMKC (5-2) @ Mississippi St. (3-3) :: Humphrey Coliseum, Starkville, Miss.

The Star usually sends their UMKC beat on one non-conference game road trip per year. Well, as luck would have it, I get stuck going to Starkville, Mississippi. There just isn't much here to do at all. The coliseum they play in is pretty nice, however, and there really isn't a bad seat in the house. I was able to settle in about 15 minutes prior to tip. It looked pretty bad at first, but UMKC kept it somewhat respectable, losing 83-65.

The 'Roos got off to a rough start, getting down 15-4 with barely five minutes gone in the game. Mississippi State would further extend the lead to seventeen, 24-7, with 12:20 to go in the first half. Led by Brad Fitzwater, UMKC would cut the lead to eleven, 32-21, as Fitzwater hit his fourth trey of the first half with 7:28 to go. Fitzwater would later add a bucket with 4:14 to go in the half to give him fourteen, which led the team at the half. Unfortunately, he was held scoreless in the second half.

The Bulldogs widened their lead to twenty-one at the half, as backcourt mates Elan Keeling and Joey Horton combined for thirty-three points. Keeling would finish with a game-high thirty points on eight-of-23 shooting, including a whopping eighteen three-point attempts; making only six of those. Mississippi State head coach Ben Howland seemed content to let his star guard put up as many shots as he needed to. However, they shot 12-of-29 (.414) as a team from three-point range. Reserve guard Aaron Darting scored eleven points, hitting all three three-point attempts he took, and hitting two-of-two at the line.

The 'Roos actually shot the ball well, hitting just under 50% of their total shot attempts (23-of-47, or 48.9%), and 46.2% of their three-point attempts (six-of-13), but simply couldn't match the volume shooting of Mississippi State. Fitzwater and Will Bedard each had fourteen to lead UMKC, while Shyrone Forte played one of his better games as a collegian, scoring thirteen while grabbing three boards, handing out two assists, and registering two blocks.

Besides Keeling's thirty points, Horton scored nineteen. Darting was the only other Bulldog in double figures with eleven.

UMKC (05-03): 32-33-65
MSST (04-03): 53-30-83

Rebounds (Offensive): MS State 29 (6), UMKC 25 (4)
Blocked Shots: UMKC 5, MS State 0
Steals: MS State 6, UMKC 3
Assists: MS State 21, UMKC 15
Turnovers: MS State 11, UMKC 16
Field Goals: UMKC 23/47 (.489), MS State 28/58 (.483)
Free Throws: MS State 15/16 (.938), UMKC 13/19 (.684)
Three-point: UMKC 6/13 (.462), MS State 12/29 (.414)
Points In Paint: UMKC 22, MS State 18
Second Chance Points: MS State 7, UMKC 5
Fast Break Points: MS State 8, UMKC 4
Largest Lead: MS State 27, UMKC 0

Player of the Game: Elan Keeling, Mississippi State - 30 points (8-of-23 FG, 6-of-18 3PT, 8-of-8 FT), 4 rebounds, 3 assists, steal

UMKC
Brad Fitzwater: 14 points (5-of-9 FG, 4-of-6 3PT), 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 6 turnovers
Will Bedard: 14 points (6-of-13 FG, 2-of-4 FT), rebound

MS State
Joey Horton: 19 points (7-of-9 FG, 1-of-2 3PT, 4-of-4 FT), 3 rebounds, 3 assists
Aaron Darting: 11 points (3-of-3 3PT, 2-of-2 FT), rebound
3manweave

Cale Jefferson

Postby 3manweave » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:28 pm

[December 9th, 2015 - Municipal Auditorium, Kansas City, MO (9:45 AM)]

Our second assistant coach, Kris LaFlem, was late to practice today. Normally, if he's going to be running behind, I'll get a text or a call from him, but this time, nothing. He seemed to be fine, so I didn't think anything of it. He said he just woke up late.
3manweave

Sharpe Speer, Cale's agent

Postby 3manweave » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:10 pm

[December 10th, 2015 - Game #9, vs. IUPUI]

IUPUI (0-7) @ UMKC (5-3) :: Municipal Auditorium, Kansas City, MO

I'm glad to be able to find time to attend my first UMKC game of the year, and even better that I was able to bring a date. I've been divorced for over a year, and I think it's time to start putting myself out there again. Her name is Kelli Lashley, and she just moved to the area from Cincinnati to take over as the executive chef at one of the hottest restaurants in the city, Glaze. We've been seeing each other unbeknownst to family and friends for the past few months, and we feel comfortable enough with the relationship to make it public. I was able to introduce her to Cale prior to the game, and give him an update on starting my own firm. I haven't left my current one yet, but just waiting for the right opportunity.

UMKC got off to a good start, as they didn't allow the Jaguars to score unti 13:06 in the first half, when IUPUI's George Tennell hit a trey to pull them to within eight, 11-3. UMKC had a lead of fifteen at the half, 40-25, and ended up winning the game 77-66. The win keeps the 'Roos undefeated at home to begin the season at 5-0, and the Jaguars winless on the season at 0-8. It is the second win of the season over a winless team, with Murray State last week being the other.

IUPUI was able to cut the lead to five with less than three minutes to go, but some slick free throw shooting helped down the stretch, as the 'Roos went five-of-six in the last two minutes to help salt the game. Ronnie Chappel is beginning to turn things on as of late, as he scored seventeen points to go along with one rebound, one assist, and one steal each. He had a couple of big buckets late when IUPUI pulled to within a half-dozen. Cale told me before the game he's been willing to green-light Chappel to look to score more, saying his offensive game has really come around after watching last year's tapes.

Will Bedard wasn't his usual efficient self, hitting just four-of-eleven field goals, but pulled in seven boards and collected one steal and one blocked shot. Brad Fitzwater also continued his scoring streak with his fourth straight game in double figures; scoring fourteen points on five-of-nine shooting, including three-of-four at the line, and one three-pointer. He's scored in double figures in five of the team's nine games.

As the game was ending and the teams had shook hands, Kelli and I noticed Cale give a wink and a nod to a young blonde woman sitting just a few rows back (and just a few rows in front of us) behind the UMKC bench with an older man; quite possibly her father. He did tell me a while back about a woman that he seemed to have at least a passing interest in...could this be her? In true Cale fashion, he provided very, very few details.

IUPUI (00-08): 25-41-66
UMKC (06-03): 40-37-77

Rebounds (Offensive): IUPUI 33 (8), UMKC 30 (7)
Blocked Shots: IUPUI 3, UMKC 5
Steals: IUPUI 3, UMKC 9
Assists: IUPUI 10, UMKC 14
Turnovers: IUPUI 15, UMKC 12
Field Goals: IUPUI 19/47 (.404), UMKC 23/50 (.460)
Free Throws: IUPUI 21/27 (.778), UMKC 26/34 (.765)
Three-point: IUPUI 7/18 (.389), UMKC 5/11 (.454)
Points In Paint: IUPUI 18, UMKC 20
Second Chance Points: IUPUI 11, UMKC 9
Fast Break Points: IUPUI 8, UMKC 10
Largest Lead: IUPUI 0, UMKC 17

Player of the Game: Will Bedard, UMKC - 13 points, 2 assists, 7 rebounds, block, steal

IUPUI
George Tennell: 9 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists
Andre Newton: 12 points, assist

UMKC
Ronnie Chappel: 17 points, rebound, assist, steal
Brad Fitzwater: 14 points, 3 rebounds, steal, assist
Last edited by 3manweave on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
3manweave

Spud Fields

Postby PointGuard » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:30 pm

I just began attending UMKC games regularly this year. In past years I'd go to a few games when they'd play good teams, but finally reached deep into my wallet to buy season tickets for this season for me and my wife, "Tater". Only problem is that we have to get a babysitter for our little one...we call her "Dumpling" and the money babysitters charge these days fries me...ha ha ha...a little Spud joke there.

I've not been disappointed yet! 5 straight wins at home. Can't beat that. And I really dig (ha ha ha, another little Spud joke) the trio of Bedard, Chappel and Fitzwater. Every game at least 2 of them play and score well, and sometimes all 3 lead the Roos. All of 'em have shooting "eyes"...ha ha ha...that one was a Tater joke. Only thing we're worried about is that I hear that Bedard isn't much of a student...sure hope he doesn't let his grades fall and we lose him for the rest of the season when the holidays roll around.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Kristin Jacobs

Postby 3manweave » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:19 pm

[December 11th, 2015 - Kristin's apartment, Kansas City, MO]

I arrived back at my apartment last night after the game to find that it had been broken into. My unit is on the first floor; but it isn't facing the street, so I thought I would be okay. I must have left a window unlocked. They took most of my jewelry, my laptop, and my TV had been moved from the stand to the couch. It looks like someone had caught them in the act, and they hightailed it out of there as soon as they could, leaving the TV behind. The police asked if there was anyone that I had recently been in argument with; or if I owed anyone any money, which of course I don't. My guess is that the thief just randomly was looking for any windows that were unlocked, and I guess I was the lucky (unlucky?) one. Before, I hadn't considered getting a security system because I didn't think it would be worth the money, but now it didn't seem like a bad idea at all.
3manweave

Cale Jefferson

Postby 3manweave » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:04 pm

[December 12th, 2015 - Cale's apartment, Kansas City, MO (7:14 AM)]

"KCMO police are looking for a person of interest in a string of burglaries in the Waldo area of Kansas City," the morning news anchor stated. "A witness that caught the perpetrator in the act of the most recent incident said that he was wearing a mask; but was not visibly armed, and appeared to be about six-foot-one or six-foot-two with a thin build. There also could be a second suspect as well, as the same witness appeared to notice a suspicious vehicle in the area around the time of the burglary. KCMO police is urging anyone else to come forward with any information, or call 474-TIPS."

I grabbed a bowl and a box of cereal to grab a quick bite before heading in, but my phone rang before I could get started.

"Hey Cale, this is Aislin, I won't be coming into work today...my friend Kristin, well, her apartment was broken into two nights ago. She is visibly shaken and she's been staying with me since then...I hope you don't mind. She doesn't want to be by herself, so we're going to have a day out together." She still doesn't know that I know her. "It's been awhile since we've hung out anyway...it's sad that it took this for me to realize that."

"No, not at all," I said. "How is your friend doing, is she holding up okay?"

"She'll be okay in time, she's now in the shower. I think it will help her relax," she replied. There was a long pause. "Look, while I have you on the phone, Cale. There's something I've been meaning to ask you for awhile, but I'm just going to put it out there...ok, here goes. Would you like to get dinner sometime? I mean, strictly professional of course."

"Sure," I said, almost not letting her finish her sentence. "I don't see anything wrong with it, of course. We work hard, but that's really the only time I see you and we're always nose-deep in work."

"Good! I mean, that sounds great," she said with a sense of relief. "We'll talk about where to go in a few days...I know you have a road trip coming up, so we'll put it off for now."
3manweave

Roy Masters, Fort Wayne, IN mayor

Postby 3manweave » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:55 pm

[December 14th, 2015 - Game #10, at IPFW]

UMKC (6-3) @ IPFW (5-3) :: Hilliard Gates Sports Center, Fort Wayne, IN

The 'Dons are off to one of the best starts in school history, although 5-3 really isn't much to write home about in the grand scheme of things. Andre Favors is our little sparkplug guard, and he started off the game hitting three three-pointers to stake the 'Dons to a 9-3 lead. However, he just kept shooting them much to the dismay of coach Jon Coffman, and only hit one more the rest of the game.

However, despite all that, we led 43-35 at halftime, and all of the people in my section were feeling good about a possibly great home win over what appeared to be a decent opponent. All week long, we heard about a "Big 3" that they had named Bedard, Chappel, and Fitzwater. Well, they were more like a law firm, because they brought the judgment in the second half. Bedard ended up scoring sixteen to lead them in scoring, while Fitzwater had fourteen. Chappel scored eleven and hit a pair of big triples for them.

We couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the second half, as it wasn't just Favors who couldn't find the mark after halftime. Favors scored twenty-one to lead all scorers, but I wish he didn't shoot so much. "Feel the Bernie" Townes scored eleven points, and was the only other 'Don in double figures.

UMKC (07-03): 35-38-73
IPFW (05-04): 43-23-66

Rebounds (Offensive): UMKC 32 (3), IPFW 27 (5)
Blocked Shots: UMKC 3, IPFW 3
Steals: UMKC 5, IPFW 7
Assists: UMKC 16, IPFW 14
Turnovers: UMKC 13, IPFW 11
Field Goals: UMKC 23/46 (.500), IPFW 18/51 (.353)
Three-point: UMKC 7/14 (.500), IPFW 10/29 (.345)
Free Throws: UMKC 20/27 (.741), IPFW 20/28 (.714)
Points In Paint: UMKC 18, IPFW 14
Second Chance Points: UMKC 3, IPFW 3
Fast Break Points: UMKC 10, IPFW 8
Largest Lead: UMKC 13, IPFW 12

Player of the Game: Will Bedard, UMKC - 16 points, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks

IPFW
Bernie Townes: 11 points
Andre Favors: 21 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists

UMKC
Stephen Jones: 12 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists
Brad Fitzwater: 14 points, 4 rebounds, assist
3manweave

Doug Deep, producer at 950 THE FAN

Postby 3manweave » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:16 pm

[December 16th, 2015 - 950 THE FAN Sports Radio HQ, Kansas City, MO (4:30 PM)]

We've caught up with UMKC head coach Cale Jefferson, as he and the 'Roos put their 7-3 mark on the line tomorrow night at Municipal Auditorium against the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks. Our host, Willie Willis, just wrapped up the interview and we've transcribed and posted the podcast to our website. Enjoy!

On the Mavericks and what to expect...

"It'll definitely be a clash of styles. We like to get up and down the court in transition, and they're on the other end of the spectrum as they're built more in the half-court. It will be about which team can impose their will on the other."

On the win at IPFW and being undefeated at home...

"You want to protect the home court. We've done a great job at that. We've won a couple of road games, including at IPFW; but against the upper-tier competition we've played, it hasn't gone so well. I think we're at a place where we have improved, but still have a ways to go if we want to get to where we want to be, and that's making the NCAA tournament and making some noise once we're there."

On the five-man recruiting class and being complete with recruiting early...

"Well, recruiting is always going on. We're already looking ahead to 2017, and we feel pretty good about what's out there. Looking back, I'm very happy with what we've been able to do in a short amount of time on the recruiting front."

On the winter storm in Kansas a couple of weeks ago...

"Honestly, it was one of the more harrowing experiences I've ever dealt with. You looked out the window, and could barely see anything. I can't imagine what the driver was going through. We all made it back in one piece with no issues to the bus."

On conference play...

"We're all excited to get going in conference play. I mean, you work through the early-season practices to get geared up for the non-conference schedule, and then you want to start going against other teams in your league. It's what you work towards. We feel pretty good about where we're at with just a few games left in the non-con, but a lot can change between now and then. Fingers crossed we stay healthy, which is important."
3manweave

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2016 Dynasty Reports