Rhoda Cox

Re: Rhoda Cox

Postby Wayne23 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:24 am

3/5: RPI is 56. Unless we get to maybe the semifinal round it’s the NIT. That’s all A. D. Jeb Forrest asked for though. We start with 9th seed, 12-15, 7-11 Colorado. We split with them. We’re staying with Arn.

3/9: 26-23 at the half. Great D, +8 RBs, but -10 TOs.

65-48. We really got it together in the 2nd. 6 players with between 8 and 12 points.

Unfortunately, it’s #4 ranked, #1 seed Stanford, 27-3, 16-2 next, in the quarter finals. They won by 23 there.

3/10: 29-47 at the half. Frankly, we’re playing as well as we can.

64-82. We played them even for the 2nd half. -10 TOs. -5 RBs. 16, 5, 2 for Law.

I expect we’ll end up with a very low NCAA seed or a very high NIT seed. I’m actually hoping for the latter.

3/11: Bones McKee, New York Daily Noose: Just a word about the “queen” of men’s college hoops. The words are, “Not ready for prime time.” Rhoda Chayne Cox does pretty well against cupcakes, but against the good teams? Not so much. If she were male no one would pay any attention. We should all turn the page and just move on.

3/12: #21 UCLA upset Stanford and went on to win the PAC 12 tourney.

Here we go. 16-13, RPI #54.

NIT. #4 East. We play #5 Cal-Riverside, 20-8.

3/13: 25-27. -3 RBs, +5 in TOs- we have only 5. Shot selection and moving without the ball have been awful. I am kicking some serious butt. We need to move without the ball and play with more energy. We’re the better team here.

58-54. Better O in the 2nd, but great D all the way. It was even until we went on a 12-2 run starting with about 8 minutes left. Then we hung on. 7 fewer fouls, 11 fewer TOs (10). Their C had 31, 10, just a terrific player. We won
with the one guard offense, 15, 3, 4, 2 for Law, 12, 3, 1, 3 for Lake, 5, 7, 3, 4 for Lonn. Arn and Kell were overmatched but they didn’t quit. I let them know I was proud of them. It’s been really tough without Jak Nix, but you play with who you have. Jess Mack, who would never play at if Nix was healthy, gave us 8 good minutes.

#1 seed Cal ST Northridge, 24-6 in the Big West, is next. They’re an outside team. We’re the better team, even without Nix, but we need to play.

3/15: 34-31. +4 in RBs, 6 fewer fouls, -3 TOs. Only Joe Kell is in any foul trouble.

74-70. Back and forth all night. 26 lead changes, 16 ties. Never more than 7 separating the teams. 8 fewer fouls, 5 more RBs. Threes kept them in it, 9 to our 1. Arn had a great game, 22, 5, 1, 5. The other starters and Coto all put up numbers.

#6 seed St. Joe’s, 20-11, in the quarter final. They score outside but they rebound.

3/20: 34-22. Up in all categories. 16 for Law. 27 of 34 points outside.

Scoreless for the 1st 6 ½ of the 2nd half.

Blew the lead. 56-56 and it’s OT.

65-65. Double OT.

74-71! 8 fewer fouls, 4 fewer TOs (but 32 and they had 36!). 23, 3, 3, 5 for Des Law, 12, 2, 3, 4 for Lake, 10, 5 for Kell, 6, 7, 5, 6 for Arn, 4, 9, 4, 4 for Jax, 9, 4 for Lonn, 8, 3, 1, 2 for Cot, and even Mack had 2 and 2. Team
effort.

NIT Final Four! We’re the last PAC 12 team playing.

Thankfully we have 8 days between games. Then it’s 19-13 LSU in the round of 4. They score outside, and they rebound well.

It will be great to play at world famous Madison Square Garden!

3/28: 27-35 at the half; they scored the last 7. 10 TOs. Poor shooting, poor shot selection.

They came tearing out of the 2nd half locker room and overwhelmed us. 53-71. We were never in it in the 2nd half. Their bench had 29, 9, 7, ours had 9, 3, 0, and that was the difference.

19-14, RPI #54. Better than expected, and I’ll take it. We’re losing Jak Nix, Des Law, Tye Coto, and Jam Fox, but we have a strong recruiting class. We’ll be much better next year.

4/4: LSU won the NIT. #3 Indiana beat #2 Kentucky, 71-67 for the NCAA title. Great game!

Awards: Junior C/PF Joe Kell made PAC 12 2nd team. I’m sure Jak Nix would have made it if he’d stayed healthy.

4/9: No decent job offers, but I only want to make one more move, and we’re not in a hurry.

4/12: Bones McKee, New York Daily Noose. Last word on college hoops for a while and that it’s the same old story for the Oregon ST Beavers Rhoda Chayne Cox. Win the easy ones, lose the rest. It’s a travesty that a woman is coaching a men’s team, and no good can possibly come of it.

4/23: We need a budget increase. Got $11,600!

19-14, .576, RPI #54. -2.0 PPG (1st time negative ever), +2.2 RBs, -0.8 TOs. Kell, Jax, Lake and Arn are back.

While this was my least successful season as a head coach ever, we exceeded expectations, and I’m satisfied. We have a terrify group coming in and watch out world next season.

Lifetime on the men’s side I am now 70-28, .714. Not bad!

Daisy: The twins are growing like weeds, at 2 ½. Mom, Sandy, and Mali are all doing well. I still love my job- and my wife! Life is good!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:32 pm

5/1: National gold, International basic.

6/5: Looking at transfers.

6/12: Still chasing transfers.

6/16: We pick up C/PF Les Will, from UConn.

6/26: We need guards. Only 1 scholarship is available though. Looking at 10 PGs.

7/11: Down to 4 recruits. All like us and all look to be very talented.

8/21: We offer to a very good PG.

9/18: Invited to the JAG Holiday. We play Tennessee. More challenging schedule this year.

Hopefully closing in on that PG; he has us at #3.

9/25: Keb Shoe, PG, #44 commits. Decent student.

10/2: First day of practice. 6 guys who look very good, and at least 4 others that look good. We have two excellent guards, a third that I think will be just fine. Not sure about #4, and after that it’s trouble. But if we stay healthy guard play will be WAY better than last year. We have 4 very good bigs, and three behind them who can fill spots.

10/23: The twins are 3. They’re into everything, walking, running, galloping, chattering up a storm. We took them to a park designed for toddlers for their birthday, and it took all 5 adults (Well, Mali’s not an adult but…) to keep track of them. Fun times.

11/6: We have a tentative lineup and watch out world! We’re going with a ten man rotation, and #11 and #12 aren’t bad. Starting at guard will be Dan Burk and Ken Demy, a couple of very good looking jucos (Too good, but the jucos in the game are- I limit myself after the first recruiting year at a new school). In support are freshmen Khal Mile and Yo Rass.

Another juco, Josh Shin is at SF, supported by returning junior Carl Jax, who started at 3 last season.

Inside it’s our two best players so far, freshmen Fab Stall and Max Payt, supported by Marc Brown, a soph transfer from Iowa ST, and the only senior scholarship athlete we have, returnee Clay Arn. Soph Gray Lake and senior walk on Steve Chab are in the wings.

There will, no doubt, be changes. This is a strong group. I have high expectations, and so do the “experts.” We’re predicted to finish 2nd to Arizona in the PAC 12. I believe it is possible!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:20 pm

11/8: Gary Gray, EPSN Sportschat: “We’re with Rhoda Chayne Cox, head coach of the men’s basketball team at Oregon ST. What’s new, Rhoda?”

“We are. I couldn’t be more excited to start the 2038-2039 season.”

“Sounds great. Why’s that, Rhoda?”

“I think we’re going to make some noise. We’ve got a strong, deep team.”

“How did you manage that? This is the start of your 2nd season with the Beavers. You inherited a pretty mediocre team. You led them to a better season than anyone would have expected but it didn’t look like you had a lot of talent coming back.”

“Maybe not, but we struck gold with our recruits and transfers. We’ve got 10 guys, maybe 11, that I’d put in in any situation.”

“Wow! Can’t wait to see you guys in action. All the best, Coach.”

11/15: We start with Baylor, here.

39-20 at the half. We never trailed after the first minute. +6 RBs, 7 TOs (They had 13). Starting guards combined for 13, 2, 7, with one TO. 10, 5 for inside player Fab Stall. Feeling pumped!

69-54, but it wasn’t nearly that close. 25 fouls (to 13), and not a clue why. The better, more aggressive team should NOT get that many calls against them. I got T’d up even though the game wasn’t close. I don’t say things like this often but there is one ref who calls everything against us on a regular basis. It was his whistle for most of the night. Instead of going at him I chatted with the other two whenever they were near our bench. Sometimes that’s a better way. If the other guy is what I think he is, a sexist, these guys will, hopefully, keep that in mind.

Whatever, everything else was pretty d*mned great! 12 TOs (to 24). 18, 4, 8, 2 for guard Ken Demy. Dan Burk and Yo Rass also had good games in the backcourt. Except for Stall the inside game could have been stronger, but it’s early, and we’ll work on it.

Next is #25 Illinois, there. That will tell us a lot.

43-25 at the half. +6 RBs, +5 TOs. PF/C Fab Stoll has 18, 5, 1, 3.

83-70. Great road win! We never trailed and the only tie was 0-0. +19 RBs, -4 TOs (15). 26, 7, 1, 3 for Stall, 22, 3, 5 for Demy, 15 for Mile, 8, 10, 6, 2, 4 for Shin.

11/20: Ranked! #22!

Recruit Keb Shoe signs.

At 1-1 Eastern Michigan next.

37-28 at the half. Stats are pretty even but we’re shooting better.

70-54. Another great road win. +5 TOs, +2 RBs. 20, 5, 4 for Ken Demy, who has been our leader so far. 14, 8 for Stall, 10, 4, 5, 3, 3 for Burk. A good game for the bench.

Miami (FL), 1-1, is here next.

11/25: 43-36 at the half. +6 TOs but -7 RBs.

72-63. They hung tough. We took control in the last few minutes, but there were times when a basket would have made it interesting. +10 TOs but -16 RBs; disappointing. Demy played only 22 before fouling out but Josh Shin took over,

19 and 5. 15, 2, 3, 2 for Max Payt. Yo Rass had a good game from the bench.

11/27: 4-0, #21. Next is 0-4 Nevada, here.

11/29: 43-39 at the half. 3 TOs (+6). Refs are calling them against us (14-6). We have 3 guys with 3 fouls, and 3 others with 2. 10, 5 for Max Payt, 9, 2, 2 for Burk.

BIG 2nd, 80-64. 18, 6, 3 for Burk, 13, 12 for Payt, 14, 6 for Stall. 22, 9, 4 from the bench.

11/30: Ray Ratso, San Francisco Examiner: Watch out now boys and girls and women haters, but Rhoda Chayne Cox seems to have something pretty special going up in Corvallis, Oregon. We got up there for the game against Nevada last night and we liked what we saw. This is a team with a future.

At 2-3 Nebraska next.

12/4: 5-0, #20, RPI #30.

12/6: 47-37 at the half. Stats are fairly even except we shot 66.7%. Good bench play, particularly from Yo Rass and Clay Arn.

90-67. Never a doubt. +11 RBs, +4 TOs (12). 21, 5 for SF Josh Shin16, 10 for Max Payt, and good play by 8 or 9 guys.

We’re bound to run into setbacks along the way but this feels like a realty good team so far.

At 3-3 Tulane next.

12/13: 35-27 at the half. Stats were pretty even. Terrible shooting by both teams. We’ve had balanced scoring lately and that’s a real asset. The other team is not able to focus on one or two guys.

77-71. They stayed close but never had the ball with a chance to tie or go ahead. -5 RBs, +4 TOs. 16 each for Stall and Demy. Good bench work from Rass, Jax, and Arn.

6-2 Marquette is here next.

42-33 at the half. +5 RBs, even in TOs (5), 4 fewer fouls. 11 and 8 with 4 blocks for Fab Stall, good guard play.

76-64. That was a pretty good team we just beat up on. 8 fewer fouls, 5 fewer TOs (12 again). 21, 11 with 5 blocks for Stall, 14, 6, 4, 3 for Shin. Good guard play, good bench play.

12/21: Marc Thyme, EPSN: “Hi folks. We need to interrupt coverage of the UCLA at Hawaii game for just a moment. A fire is being reported at Gill Coliseum, the Oregon State Beavers athletic complex. It appears to be in the area of the men’s basketball section of the complex. There are unconfirmed reports of an explosion at about midnight local time. There were no scheduled activities going on at the facility. More on this as we get more. We have a crew on the scene.”

Rhoda: (1:15 a.m.) NOT a good way to wake up. I got a call from the campus police. I’m on the scene now- well, as close as I can get. The fire and police people say it looks like whatever it was started in my office, which is at the rear of the building. It’s fairly well lit, but it faces a parking lot, and behind that a wooded area, so no one would be likely to have seen anything.

I’m told my office and the rest of the basketball offices will probably be a total loss, but the locker room and the basketball courts, especially the one where we play our games, will be usable in a short time, once they fix the smoke damage. The fire is out but smoke is still billowing. They have huge fans to redirect it out of the building as quickly as possible, but it has caused lots of damage.

We’re catching a plane for the JAG Holiday Tournament in Anaheim in a few hours so I’m going to go home and pack.

12/22: Martha Wong, EPSN: The fire at the men’s basketball center at Oregon State in Corvallis was set. According to the FBI, which was brought in to investigate by the local fire marshal, a Molotov cocktail type device was hurled into the office of head men’s basketball coach Rhoda Chayne Cox. The basketball offices and some surrounding offices were completely destroyed, and there was extensive smoke damage to much of the building. FBI agent Ferd Mangel asks anyone with information to dial the FBI hot line number, which is available on their website.

Local fire officials were uncertain as to whether upcoming events scheduled for the Gill Coliseum would need to be relocated. The next major even is a men’s basketball game, against Colorado, on December 27.

Rhoda: I lost a lot of personal stuff- photos, trophies, memorabilia…, but these days nothing on a computer is lost even if the computer is destroyed. A. D. Jeb Forrest says we’ll be working out of trailers in the parking lot for a while, but we’ll have all we need and the parking lot will be watched 24/7/365.

12/23: We’re the #6 seed and face #3 Tennessee, 5-3.

33-41 at halftime. It felt like their minds were still on the fire. I kicked butt, and did all I could to get their focus where it belonged.

It worked! 76-68, 43-27 in the 2nd. +11 RBs. 10, 9, 3, 5 for Shin, 14, 3 for Stall. Good production from the guards and from the bench.

Phone call from A.D. Jeb Forrest. When he entered his office this morning there was a note on the floor. Without thinking, he picked it up and read it. The FBI was p*ssed because that destroyed any hope finding much in the way of evidence. Anyway, here’s what it said, censored:

“Hiring that dyke c**t was a really bad idea. Your office will be next, and you’ll be in it at the time.”

No surprise. Anyone that ignorant will screw up big time. I’ll bet he gets caught quickly.

All the even numbered teams advanced. We play #2 seed Mississippi ST, 7-2, in the semis. They have a very good PF but we think we’re the more talented team.

12/24: 28-33 at the half. Stats are pretty even except we can’t make a shot.

69-56. It was close until the last 5 minutes. As with Tennessee we had a late surge. +7 TOs and much better 2nd half shooting. 18, 9 for Shin. 29 from the bench including 11 each for Carl Jax and Yo Rass.

12/25: 10-0, #13, RPI #4.

I’m impressed. The FBI, cops and fire fighters all worked today. The report, which was phoned to me late tonight, says that alcohol and gasoline were involved. The suspicion is that a window was broken, a can of gasoline was poured into my office through the hole, and then a Molotov cocktail type device was hurled in which created a real inferno. I was told that that combination would cause a very hot fire which would spread rapidly.

Jeb Forrest thinks it will be a few months before our offices are rebuilt, but he also says he expects that we will be able to play the Colorado game here, from what he’s been told.

Rematch with #4 seed, 5-5 Tulane for the tourney title. We won by 6 there.

35-31 at halftime. Despite shooting 27.6%. 10, 3 for Carl Jax from the bench.

85-56 and the JAG title! +15 RBs, +7 TOs. 17, 8 for Payt, 16, 7, 3 for Burk, 14, 12, 2, 2 for Shin, 8, 6 for Stall, 7, 3, 6, 2 for Demy, 11, 3, 4 for Jax, 5, 4 for Arn in 11 minutes.

We finish the pre-conference season at 11-0, #13, RPI #4. +14.5 PPG, +4.0 RBs, +4.6 TOs, +4.6 assists, +2.0 blocks, +4.8 steals.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:16 pm

Weird schedule for the PAC 12. 4 of our first 5 are at home.

12/26: I got into the Coliseum tonight. The gym stinks but it’s open. We’ll do a walk around tomorrow before the opener with 6-3 Colorado.

12/27: “Gary Gray, EPSN, here before the game with Coach Cox. Coach, how will all of this commotion affect your players?”

“Well Gary, it DID affect them against Tennessee. We had to work hard to refocus them at halftime. We were fine then., and in the last two games of the tourney, but we just got back to town late yesterday, and today is the first time they see the damage. It will be on their minds.”

“So what do you do about that?”

“Acknowledge it, respect it, then help them get past it.”

“By being the kind and gentle coach you are?”

(Laughs) “By kicking their butts and putting the fear of Coach Cox in them!”

“You have a reputation for being demanding and tough to please.”

“Thank you! Yes, I AM demanding, and I AM tough to please. I demand the best effort my kids can give, and I expect their total focus at practice, on the court, and in the classroom. When I don’t get it, there’s hell to pay. BUT… I reward effort, and I want my guys to know nobody will ever have their back to a greater degree than I do. I think that message comes across. Kids need standards, they need boundaries, they need limits, they need guidance. And while they won’t admit it, they want all of those things. If they sense that the person giving them all of that does it out of genuine caring, genuine concern, a genuine desire to help them and to make them better people, they take it, and I think they respect, and even like the authority figure, in this case, me.”

“Do your players like you?”

“I think they do. The ones busting their butts anyway. We find times to laugh and to have a little fun, you know. A couple of minutes of hell raising can be very energizing.”

“Coach, whatever you’re doing sure is working right now. Continued success.”

“Thanks Gary.”

12/27: 52-42 at the half. We led by as many as 22, but kind of fell asleep for a while. The halftime wakeup call is not gentle. +5 TOs. 10 different guys scored for us and 12 played.

96-82 but it wasn’t that close. +8 TOs (We had 9 for the game). 16, 4, 7, 3 for Demy, 16, 4, 3, 2 for Shin, 14, 5, 2 for Stall, 14 for Marc Brown from the bench, and 11, 2, 2 for Carl Jax from the bench.

#5 Stanford, 12-1, is here next. This is our first big test of the season.

12/30: 41-44 at halftime. They took 11 more free throws, and that’s the difference. We never led.

82-74. We scored the first 6 in the 2nd and held the lead all the way. +6 TOs, +5 RBs. We were called for 9 more fouls, and that’s the only thing that kept it close. Shin had 18, 8, 5, 1, 3. 14 for Yo Rass from the bench. 10, 8, 4, 1, 2 for Payt, 10, 6, 4 for Burk before he fouled out.

Biggest win of my career!

13-0, 2-0, #8, RPI #2.

At 5-6, 1-1 UCLA next.

Things are quiet on the investigation front. We were told that all of the known lunatics, fanatics, hate group members, and the like in the area are being investigated and watched, especially on the internet, but as of now there is no real suspect.

1/3/’39: 22-32 at halftime. The hole may be too deep this time. 11 TOs to their 6, 14 fouls to their 10. We have 3 starters with 3 fouls, and 2 points from the bench. We make some adjustments at the half.

65-51. We score the 1st 10 in the 2nd, go back and forth, then go on a huge run late. This is one h*ll of a 2nd half team!

Stats were all our way in the 2nd half. 14, 9 for Payt, 13, 7, 2 for Shin, 8, 6 for Stall.

1/4: Ray Ratso, San Francisco Examiner: We traveled south to see UCLA hand Oregon ST their first loss- except it didn’t turn out that way. After beating up on the Beavers for the 1st 20 the Bruins forgot to come out for the 2nd half, and Ore. ST trounced them 43-19 in the 2nd. The truth needs to be told, Rhoda Chayne Cox can coach. In each of the last three games she has come back from a fair to poor first half to absolutely hammer the other team- a good team in each case, in the 2nd. Winning the 2nd half is one of the surest signs regarding talent as a coach. Rhoda has got it.

5-7, 1-2 Washington ST at our place next.

1/6: 54-36 at the half. 3 TOs, 63% shooting.13 for Burk, 12 for Payt, good bench play.

100-73. 7 TOs, 61.5% shooting. 24, 6 for Stall, 20, 4, 4 for Burk, 17, 6, 2 for Payt. Men vs. boys.

1/8: 15-0, 4-0, #6, RPI #2. Alone in 1st.

6-7, 2-2 Washington is here next.

1/10: They jumped on us early, leading by 6 three times, but we regrouped. 44-31 at the half. 4 TOs (+7). 7 of our guys scored between 3 and 9.

84-65. Never a doubt in the 2nd half. 5 fewer fouls, 10 fewer TOs (10). 19, 5, 8 for Demy, , 17, 3, 2, 4, 3 for Stall, 17, 4 for Shin, 13, 4 for Payt.

1/11- Weasel Bytcher, CCN News, 2:32 a.m.: “This just in. There is a report of a second firebombing at Gill Coliseum on the campus of Oregon State University. All we have is that at approximately 2:27 a.m., less than 5 minutes ago, the report came in. We have a crew rushing to the scene. More soon.”

Meghan Notta, Faux Noose, 3:44 a.m.: “We have confirmation that there is a fatality at the Gill Coliseum on the campus of Oregon ST University in Corvallis, Oregon. Authorities are not releasing the name pending notification of next of kin. Viewers will recall that there was a bombing at the office of Beavers head men’s basketball coach Rhoda Chayne Cox, in December, followed by a nasty note that was sexist in nature, and a warning that Athletic Director Jeb Forrest would next. We have been unable to locate the Athletic Director, and calls to his home have gone directly to voice mail.”

9:00 a.m. Press Conference, Corvallis, OR: “This is Carrie D’Awai, MSNBZ. Oregon St President Ursula Munsch is at the podium along with campus police chief Roger Anout, and FBI spokesperson Bruce Ewusy.”

“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Tragedy struck the campus of our beloved university at about 2:20 this morning. An assailant shot and killed security guard Wilbur Pepper and then threw a hand grenade through the window of the office of Athletic Director Jeb Forrest, who was working late. Mr. Forrest was killed by the grenade.

“The families of both men have been notified. The campus will be in official mourning until further notice with all flags flying at half staff. If anyone has any information we urge you to please contact the police and FBI. I’m told that the number is scrolling along the bottom of the screen and will continue to do so throughout the broadcast. I now turn the microphone over to campus Police Chief Roger Anout. Roger.”

“Ladies and gentlemen. We’re not going to take questions at this time. We will tell you all we know, which is not much. Security guard Pepper was killed by a single bullet which went through the closed, driver’s side window of his vehicle. He was armed but there is no sign that he had the opportunity to go for his weapon.

“Mr. Forrest was seated at his desk when the grenade exploded. The police and FBI are still in the evidence gathering stage, but it appears that he had no opportunity to protect himself from the exploding grenade. Here’s FBI spokesperson Bruce Ewusy. Agent Ewusy.”

“We sealed off the entire building, parking lot, and the section of the campus where the incident took place, and our crime lab crew is hard at work right now. If there is any evidence at all we will find it. WE intend to hold another press conference, and to accept questions, no later than 5:30 p.m. today. President Munsch.”

“I don’t need to say how saddened all of here at Oregon State are right now. Just to update you, Assistant A. D. Holly Ivy will take over the duties of the Athletic Director until further notice. We have doubled the guard in the athletic department area.

“Finally, we are going to hold all athletic events, home and away, as scheduled. To give in to the coward who is doing this is to hand him- or her, a victory. We won’t do that. The entire campus will be closed on Monday when we will hold a memorial service on the football practice field here on campus at 11:00 a.m., weather permitting.”

Rhoda: I feel like sh*t. We’re at Oregon on Friday but it’s a short hop. We don’t fly out until Friday a.m. Can’t help feeling that Jeb and the guard would be alive if I hadn’t come here. I hope they catch the sick f*** soon.

(The 5:30 press conference generated many questions but few answers.)

1/13: 44-32 at the half. We led by as many as 19 but faded just a bit in the last three minutes. +8 RBs, +7 TOs. 13, 4 for Shin.

74-69. We lost some focus. Not unexpected, given all that’s going on, and I’m pleased that we held it together as well as we did. +10 TOs (12); this has been a real area of strength lately. 24, 6 for Demy, 19, 6, 2, 2 for Shin, 12, 12, 3 for Stall, 8, 6, 2, 2 for Payt. Burk ran the offense very well.

2 game lead in the PAC 12.

1/15: Got into the office at about 8:35 a.m. There was a note on the floor. I didn’t touch it. Shouted to my executive assistant to call Roger Anout direct, and to get the feds in here right away. Then I backed out of the office and waited.

I posted someone at the entrance to our wing of the building to keep everybody who was in, in, and everybody who was out, out. Then I had a coffee in my exec’s office. The feds and Roger were here by 8:55. The feds took over and went over everything with a fine tooth comb. I didn’t get a h*ll of a lot done.

In the end it was a death threat against me, phrased ungrammatically, and full of disgusting language. I now have a personal bodyguard, as does every member of our family, and every member of the staff, the team, the top brass in the athletic department. What a pain in the a$$. And the MONEY! F***!

8-8, 2-4 Utah is here. Security for the game is going to be a huge deal. Full screening opf the facility just before it opens, and every package will be checked and every person coming in will be patted down.

1/17: Standing room only, LOUD crowd. Many signs of support and in tribute to our lost brothers.

33-30 at the half. 10 lead changes, 8 ties. 5 more fouls, 7 more RBs. Shin is the only one hitting shots for us, 9, 4. 3 starters with three fouls. The focus is marginal. I understand it but I’m going to need to kick buts in the locker room to see that we’re more focused in the 2nd.

72-72 after a back and forth 2nd half. Dan Burk steals a pass with 3 seconds to go, hustles down, puts up a 22 footer at the buzzer… IN! 75-72. The place went insane! The court was stormed. Given everything else that’s going on this scared hell out of security but it was pure joy. I did hustle my guys out before meeting with EPSN.

“Coach. This was your first close call.”

“Yes it was. Look, I need to say this. I am so very thankful for the incredible support our fans gave us here tonight. They wouldn’t let us lose.”

“I know that because of security we aren’t being allowed to speak with any players outside of the press room, but talk about that last play.”

“Classic! Dan told me at the last time out that he thought their Point was signaling when he passed to the left wing. I told him to save it. If we needed it in the last 20-30 seconds, use it then, but not before. Sure enough, the guy signaled, Dan read it, he picked it off, flew downcourt, and got the shot off just in time. One hell of a heady play!”

“It was that. Congratulations, Coach. See you in the press room.”

They called 11 more fouls on us. +5 RBs. Dan had 16, but the bench won this one. 29, 17, 9. We played 12 guys and they all did the job.

The FBI and campus police have been using the phrase “inside job” all along here. The two poison pen letters demonstrate that more than the crimes themselves, but the murders were done in such a way that it may have been that security guard Wilbur Pepper knew his assailant. There’s nothing to indicate that he did anything to try to stop his attacker or to defend himself. The authorities are closely checking everyone who works at, or is connected with the Athletic Department.

I have a team to run, and it’s certainly not easy under these conditions. It’s also taking the joy out of a fantastic season.

At USC, 6-10, 2-5.

1/20: 31-25 going to the locker room. 5 more fouls called on us. Other stats are even except we’re shooting 43.5% to their 28.6%. 9, 4 for Stall, 9, 1, 2 for Yo Rass, 8 for Shin.

72-52. We shot it, 50%, they didn’t, 32.6%. I like to think our D had a lot to do with that. 18, 6, 2 for Stall, 18, 1, 3, 2 for Rass, 14, 5 for Shin.

1/22: 19-0, 8-0, #6, RPI #2. We are the only unbeaten team in Div. I. Everyone else has at least 2 losses. Having said that, I do not think we are a top 10 team. Top 15, yes.

This is a 2 game, 6 day road trip. The 2nd game is at 9-8, 3-5 Colorado.

I hate to say it but in some ways it’s a relief to be on the road right now. It takes us away from the stress of what may happen next in Corvallis.

1/24: 35-25 at halftime. Stats are even except that again, we are shooting better, 47.8% to 40%. We work a great deal on ball movement, moving without the ball, finding the open man… We don’t dribble much; firing the ball around is far more effective. We had tons of turnovers last season because we didn’t have the personnel to execute it. This year we do. Fab Stall has been unstoppable so far, 19 points.

74-47. A walk in the park. +6 RBs, +4 TOs. 53.3% shooting to 34%. Stall ended with 30.

2 up on Arizona, 3 or more on the rest, but 9 to play, 3 against ranked teams (but 2 of those are at home), and 5 road games.

#17 California, 14-5, 5-4, is here.

1/27: 56-41 at the half. +11 RBs, +4 TOs, but 7 more fouls called on us. 15, 2, 2, 3 for Shin. 8 for Jax from the bench.

91-73. That’s a pretty good team we just beat up on. +16 RBs, +5 TOs (11). 26, 8, 2, 3, 2 for Shin, 13, 5, 2 for Payt, 11 each for Demy and Stall. Jax had 8 and 4.

3 game lead.

1/29: 21-0, 10-0, #, RPI #. +15.5 PPG, +4.1 RBs, +5.1 TOs, +5.3 assists, +1.6 blocks, +2.8 steals.

I’m told the FBI has no leads. That’s frustrating and upsetting. They tell me he’ll make a mistake sooner or later. Yes, but how many others will suffer and die before “he” does?

The university has been asking for special donations to pay for all of the added security. They’re getting the donations, but let’s face it, most are probably coming from donors who would have given for something else, something that might actually help the university. Tough times.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 pm

At 9-11, 5-5 Arizona ST next.

1/31: 34-45. We dug a pretty deep hole. 41.7% shooting to their 62.5%. We need to tighten the D, and move without the ball on O.

We tied it up, and then we let it get away from us. 76-83. +5 TOs, +4 RBs, 5 fewer fouls. But we didn’t play D; gave up 13 threes, and let them shoot 59.6%. 14, 7 for Payt, 12 for Jax, 11, 5, 5 for Shin. The streak had to end at some point I guess.

21-1, 10-1. Still 2 up on Arizona and Stanford with 7 to play.

#9 Arizona, 15-6, 8-3, is here next.

2/3: 47-32 at the half. +6 TOs (4), +3 RBs. We shot 48.3%, they shot 33.3%. 11, 2, 2 for Shin, 8, 4, 2 for Payt, 9, 3 for Stall.

89-76, but they never got it to single digits. +15 RBs. 20, 10, 3 for Shin, 20, 10 with 4 blocks for Stall, 16, 6, 2 for Payt, 13, 5, 3, 2 for Demy. Nice bounce back win against a very good team.

At #7 Stanford, 20-4, 9-3 next. We won by 8 here.

Everything is quiet. Everyone is on edge, waiting for whatever comes next.

2/7: 35-37 at the half. A real battle, 10 lead changes, 4 ties. 5 fewer fouls, 2 TOs (+8) but 10 fewer RBs. Their PF is a terrific player, 17, 5, 2 for the half. Burk and Jax have 10 each. Both of our starting bigs have 3 fouls.

Big early 2nd half run for Stanford, and we didn’t recover. 62-74. +10 TOs, -14 RBs. 16 for Burks, 13 for Jax, but our inside guys were over matched.

Still a one game lead on Stanford, 2 on Arizona, with 5 to play. No margin for error now.

11-11, 7-6 UCLA is here next.

2/10: 31-31 at the half. 12 lead changes, 4 ties. Stats are very close right down the line. No one with 3 fouls. Our bench, particularly Jax and Rass, are keeping us in it.

Nice run to start the half. 69-52. We shot 45.3%, they shot 26.1%. 13, 12, 2 for Shin. 10 players scored.

Stanford lost. We’re up 2 on them, 3 or more on the rest, with 4 to play.

2/12: 23-2, 12-2, #5, RPI #3.

3 of our last 4 are away, but against cellar dwellers. First is 8-15, 4-10, Wash. ST. We won by 26 here.

2/14: 44-40. +7 RBs, +5 TOs. Led by as many as 14, but let it slip. We’re doing great inside; not so well outside.

76-79. We had the last shot, but Demy’s 3 missed. We held the statistical edge, for what that’s worth, which is nothing. 19, 6 for Stall, 16, 9, 4, 3, 2 for Payt, 12, 2, 1, 3 for Rass.

1 game lead with three to play.

At 13-11, 9-6 Washington next. We won by 29 at home but they’re playing well right now.

2/16: 44-29 at halftime. We had 5 more RBs, and we shot better.

74-60, but it wasn’t that close. 18, 8, 3, 3 for Shin, 16, 7, 2 for Demy, 12, 7 for Stall.

2/17: Meghan Notso, Faux Noose, 9:15 a.m.: “We have a report of a bomb exploding in the Radishon Hotel in Seattle. More details soon. We have a crew just arriving on the scene.”

Harry Baals, CCN Noos, 9:23 a.m.: “We have confirmation that a bomb exploded on the fifth floor of the Radishon Hotel in Seattle, just about 15 minutes ago. The Oregon ST men’s basketball team had left the hotel only seconds prior to the bomb exploding, and were in the hotel parking lot. WE have confirmed that their rooms were on the fifth floor in the exact area where the bomb exploded. Here’s head coach Rhoda Chayne Cox. What did you see and hear, Coach?”

“I didn’t see anything. I heard an explosion, then what sounded like glass shattering, and other noise, like, I don’t know, things falling, caving in, whatever.”

“Do you think this is related to the prior attacks on your team and on the Oregon ST Athletic Department?”

“Jesus! I hadn’t thought of that! I hope not!”

“Thanks Coach. More on this soon.”

Rhoda: There was a note. It was full of the usual disgusting, misogynistic language. Amazingly, only two people were injured, and both are expected to recover. But five minutes sooner and we would have lost some people. The bomb was in a supply closet which was surrounded by the rooms we were staying in on that same floor. FBI spokesman Bruce Ewusy told me the timing mechanism may have messed up. That’s speculation, at this point.

We caught a later flight back home. The sense of unease on this team, and at Oregon ST in general, is becoming a serious issue.

Two to play. 15-11, 7-9 Oregon is here for senior night. We will honor Clay Arn, and walk on Steve Chub, as well as a few of our support staff students who are graduating. We beat Oregon by 5 there.

2/21: 42-33 at the half. +8 TOs (2). They had a higher shooting pct., but we took 12 more shots. 15, 5 for Stall, 12 for Demy.

83-72. We emptied the bench, which made it look closer than it really was. +9 TOs (6 for the game). We shot much better in the 2nd, and we took 18 more shots. 29, 8 for Stall, 16, 2, 6, 2 for Demy, 12, 9, 7 for Shin, 11, 5, 3, 2, with 7 blocks(!) for Payt.

Sub guard Khal Mile turned an ankle. Out a week and a half or so. Yo Rass will get his minutes.

We close the regular season at 12-15, 6-11 Utah. We won by only 3 at our place.

Security is as tight on the road as it is at home these days, and it is a one huge f***ing distraction.

2/24: 39-44 at the break. We need to ramp up the D.

We did! 86-73. We took control at the start of the 2nd half and we never let go. +7 TOs. 6 in double figures. 3 others scored.

2/26: We end the regular season alone in 1st in the PAC 12. 26-3, 15-3, #6, RPI #4. +12.8 PPG, +3.6 RBs, +5.2 TOs, +4.9 assists, +1.3 blocks, +2.7 steals.

Rhoda: Bruce Ewusy phoned to tell me they have a clue. He says it’s not much but it’s the very first thing they have had to work with. He wouldn’t tell me what it is.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:29 pm

3/9: #8 seed Colorado won by 1. We’ll play them in the quarterfinals. We won by 14 here, and 27 there.

3/10: 40-27 at the half. +7 TOs. We shot 51.5%, they shot 36%. 12, 5 for Shin.

73-63 but the outcome was never in doubt. +9 TOs, +5 RBs. 18, 7 for Shin, 11, 8 for Jax, 11, 3, 6, 4 for Demy.

UCLA upset Stanford.

#4 seed Washington, 15-13, 10-8, in the semifinal round. Beat them by 29 and 14.

3/11: 47-30 at halftime. 3 TOs (+7). 10 guys scored.

89-79 in a game that was not that close. +7 TOs, +4 RBs. 15, 8, 2, 3 for Shin, 21 for Demy.

#3 seed, #10 ranked Arizona, 21-9, 12-6 for the title. We won by 13 at our place.

3/12: 27-26 at halftime. A real defensive battle. Stats as even as the score. 10, 3 for Shin.

69-62. We build a small lead early in the 2nd and hung onto it. +5 TOs, 6 fewer fouls. 20, 5 for tourney MOP Josh Shin, 13, 2, 5, 6 for Demy, 11, 9 for Payt.

29-3, 15-3, #6, RPI #3 going to the selection show. I think we’ll be a #1 seed.

#1 Midwest. We play 15-15 Long Island.

Bruce Ewusy tells me there is a suspect under surveillance.

3/16: 54-36 at halftime. +6 RBs, +3 TOs, 5 fewer fouls. We shot 57.7%, they shot 33.3%. 13, 5, 3, 2 for Shin.

85-69. 10 fewer fouls, 9 more RBs. 25, 8, 4, 3 for Shin. 13, 6 for Stall, 14, 4 for Marc Brown.

#9 seed Tennessee, 18-12, is next. We beat Tennessee by 8 in the 1st round of the JAG.

3/18: 33-27 at halftime. +7 TOs, but we aren’t shooting well and we aren’t playing with energy. 12 for Demy.

73-59. They stayed with us for at least 33 minutes. 8 more fouls called on us. +6 TOs, +4 RBs. 22 for Demy.

Sweet Sixteen! #5 seed, #18 ranked Purdue, 23-8. We need to play the game inside. If we manage that we’ll be fine.

3/23: 40-33 at the half. Stats even except we shot 53.3%, they shot 35.7%, but it’s the 2nd half that counts!

82-72. We kept the lead between 5 and 18 for the entire half. They never had the ball with a chance to tie or go ahead. +6 RBs, +4 TOs, called for 10 fewer fouls. 22, 9, 5, 2 for Stall, 16, 7, 4 for Payt, 11, 7, 2, 3 for Shin, 17, 6, 3, 2 for
Burk. We felt we had the advantage inside and we pounded it in there all night. When they clogged the middle Burk hit an outside shot.

Elite Eight!!! We play PAC 12 rival Stanford, #2 seed, #7 ranked. We beat them by 8 at our place and lost by 12 at theirs. As in the last game we need to play it inside.

Frankly, I thought we had a chance to get this far, and I definitely think, now that we’re here, that we have a real shot to move to the next step. I’m kind of amazed at that. Win or lose, what a season!

3/25: 29-31. We led for most of the half. They went on a late 9-2 run. We were called for 6 more fouls (11-5). Awful shooting (good D?)- 29.4% to their 25%. Bench is keeping us in it, 10 for Yo Rass, 5 for Khal Mile. We’re not getting it inside. That needs to change for us to win this.

66-69. We missed a three at the buzzer. 2nd half was back and forth. At one point we were up 9, at another they were up 10. Incredible game, really. We were called for 10 more fouls, and that was the difference, they went 31-38, we went 14-17. 18, 6 for Shin, 14 for Yo Rass, who was terrific.

We are losing no one who plays major minutes, and we’re picking up a terrific looking transfer C from UConn, and an even better looking freshman PG. The future looks bright!

Two PAC 12 teams are in the Final Four, Stanford and Arizona.

4/1: I decided to go the Final Four in Atlanta.

It’s an all PAC 12 title game. #7 Stanford defeated #2 Kansas, 84-70, and #9 Arizona defeated #19 Georgia Tech, 75-60, in the round of four. My kids are lamenting that this could be them.

4/4: Arizona 67- Stanford 64. Great game. Stanford lost the way we lost to them, missing a three at the buzzer.

Awards: Junior SF/PF Josh Shin is PAC 12 POY, 1st team. Freshman C/PF Fab Stall mad 2nd team. I was named conference COY.

4/9: I wasn’t sure what kind of feelers I’d get for head coaching positions. As it turns out I received some interesting ones. I’m staying. One, I think we’re going to be terrific next year. 2. I don’t feel I can leave in the middle of all of this. Bruce Ewusy has said they feel they have their perp, and they are keeping a close eye on him. We’ll see.

4/23: I ask for a budget increase. We’ve spent a lot of money this year, though.

Shocked. We got $12,500. Acting A. D. Holly Ivy said most of the money spent to repair damages came through insurance, donations, etc., and that our success deserved acknowledgement and support. Just incidentally, it’s all but a certainty that Holly will be named to the A. D. post on a permanent basis. I hope so; she’s great to work with.

32-4, 15-3, #6, RPI #3, conf. reg. season and tourney champs, Elite Eight. Greatest season in school history by a WIDE margin. And all of that despite the horrors and tragedies that plagued us.

My lifetime record on the men’s side is now: 102-32, .761, after 4 seasons. 3 conference COY awards. AND… we are losing no one who plays significant minutes and bringing in two great prospects.

Bruce Ewusy says he thinks his suspected perp knows the feds are onto him, and he’s lying low because of that. I just wish it was over.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:11 pm

5/1: National Gold, International Basic.

5/3: Daisy: Rhoda and I had a talk about moving. She said, as I knew, that we would move again, possibly this spring, but almost certainly next spring. She wants to coach at an elite program. I knew that going in, and I support it 100%. Both
of us hope there will be only one more move, BUT, if she were to go to an elite school that was NOT UConn, and at some point UConn offered, there would be two moves. She would love to go back “home,” and so would I.

6/5: We’re “glancing” at two transfers but I think we’re going to wait for recruiting to start. We have five scholarships and we’d like 3 guards.

6/9: We looked more closely and decided to pass.

6/26: Looking at lots of recruits.

6/28: The local news featured a story about an explosion that killed a local man in his basement. Bruce Ewusy called shortly thereafter.

“Patrick McGinty Scanlon.”

“What about him?”

“He’s the man who died in the explosion.”

“Okay.”

“He’s our perp. Too soon to say for sure but I’m betting he blew himself up working on a bomb aimed at you, or someone in the athletic department.”

“So now what?”

“We’ve been following him for a long time. We’ve sealed off the house. We’re hoping to find bomb making equipment, even more so, notes, computer files- whatever. If it’s there we’ll find it.”

“I don’t know the name.”

“No, but he knows yours.”

“We thought he was connected with the university.”

“He is, sort of. He’s a geek, a really GOOD geek. He works- worked in the Oregon ST computer center. He was the Mr. Fixit. If their regular people couldn’t solve a problem, he was the next level up- the highest level, actually; if he couldn’t fix it, it couldn’t be fixed. We got onto him because it seemed like the athletic department was having an unusual number of those really tough problems, and Scanlon was coming over there often- he has to log his time at work. He worked odd hours, was a real night hawk.”

“So he was logged into the building when the bombings happened then.”

“Never- not officially. But he could have easily been in the building at any time, night or day. The security people didn’t even log his visits- he was supposed to be there. We think that’s how Wilbur Pepper got it. Scanlon came over to the car with his gun behind his back. When Wilbur opened his window he got shot. Never saw it coming. Never would have suspected, even though it was the middle of the night.”

“Wow! I wonder if I ever met him.”

“I’ll bet you did. I’ll text his photo…”

“Jesus! I spoke to that guy a few times. He was always really nice to me.”

“Yep. He could play the game really well.”

“What was his problem?”

“35 years old. Divorced. Two kids who he’s not allowed to see because of allegations of abuse. MRA-”

“What’s that?”

“Men’s Rights Activist.”

“Woman hater.”

“And even more so a gay and lesbian hater, especially lesbians. We’re sure that’s what it was about. Again, we’re hoping he left some kind of a trail.”

“Any sign that he was not working alone?”

“None. The usual m.o. He’s a loner. We never saw anything in the months we tailed him that indicated he was part of a group on this. We think it’s finished.”

“Well I hope he DID leave a trail. It would be good for people to see what this was about.”

“We’ll keep you posted.”

“Agent Ewusy, I can’t thank you enough.”

“Just doing my job, Coach.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:28 am

7/4: We’re #21 preseason. 5 in the PAC 12 are ranked.

7/29: Agent Ewusy says they’ve found Patrick McGinty Scanlon’s computer files on the crimes he committed.

“I wouldn’t be able to have this conversation if this were going to trial, but everything indicates he was working completely alone, so there’s no one to bring to trial.

“He was convinced that you are ‘of Satan’ is the phrase he uses. Some weird, extreme, fanatic form of perverted Christianity plays into all of this, too. But the big thing is the fact that you’re a lesbian. It runs through everything we found.”

“I don’t understand how he could sound so nice when he spoke to me. And his smile seemed to go right to the eyes, which doesn’t happen with phony smiles.”

“He was a sociopath. They can do incredible things, probably because some part of them believes the lie they are telling at a given moment.

“Oh, he had some very big plans. He talked about a chain of bombs- one in the bottom of every trash bin in the Gill coliseum, all triggered to go off five minutes into a home game when there was a sellout. How he would have managed to set the bombs in place is beyond me. He said he had a foolproof plan for that. The bomb he was working on was one of the series. We found 37 others at a separate location. Good thing they weren’t where he was when he blew up. We would have lost half the street!”

“Wow!”

“I’ll send the notes. He did know we were onto him, or he strongly suspected it. He didn’t care. If he could pull off the trash can bomb thing he felt like it would be worth getting caught. There’s lots more. His ‘Manifesto’- that’s what he calls it, is a plan for, I don’t know, some kind of ‘Christian revival’ to take over the world and to rid the world of sin. Crazy stuff.”

“I look forward to reading it- I think. How many more are there out there? I’ll bet lots.”

“There are a lot of violent, insane people, angry enough, and twisted enough to kill innocent people. We employ a lot of resources to try to stop them, or at least limit them.”

“Once more, I can’t thank you enough for all you did.”

“Happy to do it. We got lucky on this one. Thank goodness. Lots more people could have died.”

8/7: PF/C Fab Stall is #19 on the Norton list; PF/SF Josh Shin is #48.

8/21: We offer to 3 PGs, 2 bigs.

9/18: We get PF Nate Selk, #52.

No in season tournament this season. Challenging schedule with mostly ranked teams.

9/25: We get #80, C/PF Mal Yar and PG Kirk Fore, #26, and our #1. 2 to go!

10/2: Got one, lost one. We got #35, Mo Nick, PG.

First day of practice. We’re loaded.

11/6: Still trying to land the last recruit.

We feel pretty confident regarding our starting lineup but we have LOTS of guys fighting for time from the bench.

Senior Ken Demy and frosh Keb Shoe start at guard with senior Dan Burk and soph Yo Rass in support. Soph Khal Mile will fight for minutes as well.

Senior Josh Shin will start at SF, with soph Max Payt, who started last year, in support.

Inside it’s junior transfer from UConn Les Will and soph returnee Fab Stall, with senior Carl Jax and junior Marc Brown in reserve. Junior Gray Lake is also fighting for minutes. We are both good and deep, and we have high expectations and higher hopes!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:42 pm

11/14: #19 Georgia Tech is here to start the season.

35-37 at the half. We blew a 9 point lead and I am kicking butts! +6 TOs (3), but we let them shoot 50% while we shot 35.1%. We got nothing from the bench, which almost amazes me. They got 18, 7, 3.

75-73. Slow start and we had to play catch up all the way. Finally, with about 3 ½ minutes left, we woke up. It wasn’t as close as the final score. We were up 7 with 19 seconds to go. They got a quick score and a 3 at the buzzer, but never had a chance to tie or go ahead. I’ll take it but we have plenty to work on.

9 fewer fouls, +12 TOs (5 for the game), -1 RB. We shot about the same in the 2nd half as in the first, but we held them under 40%, and we took 8 more shots. 17, 3 for Shin, 5 in double figures. The bench did MUCH better in the 2nd half. Max Payt had 12, 4 in for Stall who was in foul trouble all night; played only 19 minutes.

#23 Miami (FL) is next, also here.

48-33 at halftime. +7 TOs (5). 10, 5 for Stall, 9, 3, 4 for Shin, 11 for Shoe.

96-72. 7 fewer fouls, 11 fewer TOs (11), 4 more RBs. 22, 9, 3, 2 for Fab Stall, 19, 5, 7, 3 for Josh Shin. All 5 starters in double figures.

At 0-2 Penn ST next.

11/20: All 4 recruits sign. We may not fill #5. Not seeing anyone we’re that crazy about.

11/21: 30-27 at halftime. We led by as many as 7. +5 TOs. Lots of guys played lots of minutes for us.

73-71. Close, but they hit a 3 at the buzzer to make it seem even closer. Still, they hung in all the way. +14 TOs made up for deficits in other areas. We are averaging 8 TOs per game. This was a team effort, 10 players scored, 7 had between 12 and 6. Shin led us, as usual, with 12, 7, 2.

#19 UConn next, there. Always nice to go “home.” First time since I came West.

11/24: 42-44. Not much D in this one. We need to stop them outside.

98-98- OT! We blew a 7 point lead in the last 67 seconds.

110-103. What a WAR! All 5 starters in double figures. 21, 8, 4 for Stall, 21, 4, 5 for Shoe, 17, 9, 4 for Demy, 16, 5, 4, 3, 2 for Shin, and 15, 6, 1, 2 for Will. Great win!

3-0 Purdue is here next.

11/27: Top 10! #10, RPI #7, 5-0.

11/28: 41-14 at the half. At one point it was 25-4. We forced 22 TOs in the 1st half. That’s amazing. We had 7.

79-53. It was never a game. +12 TOs, +7 RBs. 25, 4, 2, 2, 2 for Stall, 14, 6, 2 for Shin. A walk in the park.

#9 Louisville, 5-0, is next, here.

11/30: Agent Bruce Ewusy called again:

“Coach Cox, we just wanted to alert you. You and your facilities are being watched by our undercover people.”

“I thought we were through with that?”

“Well, it seems some other Men’s rights and anti-gay groups have made noises about following up on Patrick McGinty Scanlon’s work. We have no specific threats but there are some people we feel we need to keep an eye on.”

D*mn!

12/1: Back and forth 1st half ends 35-31. We had a nice edge in bench play, and a slight edge in just about all of the stats categories.

69-67 on a last second 10 footer from Max Payt. 23 lead changes, 14 ties, never more than a 6 point margin. They called 9 more fouls on us. I was super upset but it was too close to get T’d up. -8 RBs, +9 TOs. We took 19 more shots, hit 7 more threes, and that made up for the free throw deficit.

14, 11, 2, 5, 4 for Stall, but a team effort and good bench play.

At the post game conference I said, “I never talk about officiating but I just want to quickly say that tonight it was pathetic.”

That will no doubt get me a fine. I don’t care.

12/4: 8-0, #8, RPI #1.

We’re at 3-3, Chattanooga next.

12/5: 38-28 at the half. +5 RBs, +4 TOs. We need more from our guards.

83-57. We broke it open starting at about the 10 minute mark. +13 RBs. 22, 9, 3, 3 for Shin, 13, 9 for Will, 12, 2, 7, 2 for Shoe. Payt and Rass gave us some great minutes from the bench.

12/6: Another call this afternoon from Bruce Ewusy.

“We’re going to reintroduce surveillance around you and your family.”

“That can’t be good.”

“Nothing specific, but there’s some generalized noise around a couple of the hate groups we monitor, and on their web sites. There isn’t anything specific but we want to play it safe. This part of the country has a lot of militia types, Men’s Rights, woman haters, LGBTQ haters- all of that.”

“Well, thanks, but wouldn’t it be nice if people would just let other people alone.”

“Probably not going to happen any time soon.”

4-3 Tulane is next up.

12/13: 44-26 at the half. +9 RBs, +4 TOs. We shot 53.6%. 9 and 5 for Will. 10 players scored.

94-58. +14 RBs, +8 TOs. 54% from the field. 17, 3, 7, 4 for Shoe. 4 others in doubles.

8-0, #8, RPI #1, with one pre-conf. game left to play.

4-5 New Mexico is here.

12/19: 31-17 at the half. +7 TOs (we had 3), +5 RBs. 11 for Shin. New Mexico’s Center had 12; the rest of the team had 5! They shot 20.8%, mostly because our D was stifling. We only shot 27.8%.

63-34. +15 RBs, +8 TOs (10). 17, 10, 4, 2 for Shin. This was a walk in the park.

9-0, #11, RPI #1 at the end of pre-conference play; not sure why we dropped three spots but whatever. +17.1 PPG, +4.9 RBs, +8.3 TOs (11.8). 3rd in the nation in scoring, 4th in RBs, 6th in steals, 10th in TOs.

12/25: I received a death threat via email on my work email. Made for a happy holiday. The FBI took the work computer. They did allow me to back everything up and save to an external hard drive. I asked why they didn’t just let me forward the email, but they didn’t.

We flew out late tonight for our PAC 12 opener at 2-7 Colorado.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:37 pm

12/26: 42-22 at the half. We’ve been on fire lately and it continued in the first half. +5 TOs (6), +4 RBs. Held them to 22.7%. 15, 7 for Stall.

77-56. +9 TOs (9). 27, 12 for Stall, and lots of people played well.

At #2 in the country Stanford, 10-0 next.

12/29: 39-41 at the half; 13 lead changes, 8 ties. They called 14 fouls on us, 7 on them. +3 RBs but -5 TOs, which is unusual for us. The foul line is ridiculous; they’re 21-26, we’re 9-10.

We kept it close for about 5 minutes and then they took off. 63-85. The refs don’t beat you by 22 but they made it impossible for us to play D. I was T’d up early in the 2nd half, and I walked the edge of the 2nd for the rest of the way. There’s one (and only one) sexist ref in the PAC 12, and he was a big part of this.

Oh well. Turn the page.

#18 UCLA, 8-4, 0-2, is here next.

1/2/’40: 50-32 at the break. +9 RBs, 5 TOs. Shooting 55.2%. 13, 4, 2 for Shin, 14, 2 for Stall, 10, 3 for Will.

86-73. We coasted in the 2nd and I am NOT happy about it. +15 RBs. 11 TOs. 21, 7 for Stall, 16, 6, 9 for Shin, 16, 13 for Will, 11, 4, 11 for Shoe, 11 for Demy.

We’re going to start Yo Rass for Ken Demy. Rass plays better D, and his offensive stats are a little better.

At 7-5, 1-2 Washington ST.

1/5: 36-33 at the break. 5 fewer fouls, 6 fewer RBs, 4 fewer TOs. We shot better but we gave up 5 threes.

78-70. The lead was in double figures for most of the 2nd half. +10 TOs, 11 fewer fouls, 5 fewer RBs. 19, 4 for Will, 14, 7, 5, 2 for Shin, 13, 9 for Stall. Good bench minutes from Payt and Demy.

12-1, 3-1.

At 5-10, 0-4 Washington next.

1/9: 42-36 at the half. 7 fewer fouls, 5 fewer TOs.

90-67. They hung with us for about 30 minutes. +12 TOs. 19, 5, 1, 3 for Shin, 15, 10, 2 for Stall. All 5 starters in double figures.

8-6, 2-3 Oregon is here next.

1/12: 50-26. +12 RBs, +6 TOs. Stall had 16, 9, 2.

82-57. We played everyone. +13 RBs, +10 TOs. 24, 11, 2 for Stall, 12, 5 for Shin, 9, 4, 7 for Shoe, 9, 5, 2 for Will.

At 11-5, 3-3 Utah. Looking like a tough one.

1/16: 50-33. +6 RBs, 6 TOs (E). We shot 62.5%, they shot 36.7%. 18 for Rass, 15 for Shin.

93-68. +12 RBs, +4 TOs (12). 22, 5 for Yo Rass, 17, 8, 5 for Josh Shin. 12 players scored.

15-1, 6-1. Alone in 2nd, one back of Stanford.

10-6, 4-3 USC is here.

I have received three more email threats, all to my work email address. None were specific as to a time, a place, or a method. The FBI is doing what they can, providing protection, trying to track the emails, infiltrating hate groups, watching loners who seem mentally unstable…

1/19: 38-31 at the half. The only real edge in stats is shooting pct., we’re at 53.8%, they’re at 40%. We had nine players score.

We quickly got it to double digits. 84-63 at the end. +8 RBs, +8 TOs. 14, 10 for Will but a real team effort.

1/22: 16-1, 7-1, #8, RPI #2.

5-12, 3-5 Colorado is here. We won by 21 there. This could be ugly.

1/23: 30-39. Well, that’s about as bad a half as we’ve had this season. 14 fouls called on us (including a T on me), 4 on them. Their lead is completely due to the disparity in foul calls.

Took our first lead with 10:02 to play, and rolled it up from there. 77-54. I refused to change anything at halftime. Told them to play their f***ing game, in just those words, and stormed out of the locker room.

Fouls evened out, 22 on us, 18 on them. The other coach got his T in the 2nd.

At the post-game press conference I said, “There has only ever been one thing wrong with college basketball. And without that one flaw it would be perfect… The lack of consistency in the officiating.”

Another fine, no doubt.

+10 RBs, +6 TOs. Ken Demy had 18, 3, 5. He’s been terrific from the bench. He and I agree that he’s better in that role than he was starting. And his replacement, Yo Rass, had 11, 2, 5, 2, 2, and HE’S better starting. Worked out!

We’ve been one back of #2 Stanford, and one ahead of #6 Arizona for quite a while now.

At 11-7, 4-5 California next.

1/26: 50-43 at the half. No D to be seen. +7 TOs (3). Beating them up inside.

86-75, but they were within striking distance until the very end. 9 fewer fouls, 8 fewer TOs, 4 more RBs. 19, 6, 3, 3 for Stall, 18, 6 for Will14, 5 for Shin, 12, 4, 4 for Demy, 8, 5, 3, 4 for Payt.

1/29: 18-1, 9-1, #5, RPI #2. Still 1 back of undefeated Stanford, but now 2 up on #8 Arizona. Josh Shin is #21, and Fab Stall #26 on the Norton list.

+15.9 PPG, +5.1 RBs, +7.7 TOs, +4.8 assists, +4.8 steals. #2 in PPG, #3 in RBs, #4 in TOs, #6 in RBs.

#20 Arizona ST, 16-5, 6-4 is here next. 1st of 4 straight against top 20 teams.

We have sold every ticket for every home game this season, so far. Crowds have been very loud and enthusiastic.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2016 Dynasty Reports