Trials and Tribulations

Rob Banks, head coach at Northern KY

Postby 3manweave » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:32 pm

[October 6th, 2015]

*knock, knock*

It was David Ragland, dropping off the practice schedule for today. Full-squad, supervised workouts had been going on for four days, and everything had been going great until yesterday's practice when we held our first scrimmage. Several skirmishes broke out, and while I appreciate the aggression and competitiveness, there's no place for taking a swing at a teammate. So, to punish the whole team, I had them run ladder drills until they couldn't stand up.

After about five minutes or so of thumbing through the schedule, Karen Rogers, my secretary, poked her head through the door.

"Rob, you have a call on line one. Ted Wilson." I wonder what he wants. Ted and I have become good friends, as I've always been a big baseball fan, and we went to a couple of Cincinnati Reds games this past summer.

"Hey Ted, what's shakin'?" I said, picking up the phone.

There was a pause on the other end of the line. "Rob, I've been thinking -- I have another friend that--"

"No, not another blind date...no offense Ted, but your friend Sarah didn't do it for me. I think she was just looking for a rebound," I said.

"Hear me out! She's the sister of a friend of mine, and she's a bit younger than Sarah. Look, just do me a solid here. If it doesn't work out, I won't try this again," he went on. "I'll even chip in a twelve-pack of IPA. Just name it."

"Unnnnggghhh, alright," I relented. "I'm busy tonight, but text me the address and I'll go pick her up tomorrow."
3manweave

Rob Banks, head coach at Northern KY

Postby 3manweave » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:41 pm

[October 7th, 2015]

I looked at my phone. It was 7:15, and she was fifteen minutes late. I was going to go pick her up, but Ted called me this morning with a change of plans, and said that she would just meet me here at Jason's Steakhouse at 7. Was she going to flake? This is why I don't do blind dates, but at least this would be the last one.

The waiter came by and refilled my glass of water. It was a busy time at the restaurant, at the peak of the dinner rush, and it was painfully obvious to those around me that I was waiting for someone to show up. "Would you like to go ahead and order?" He asked. "I can have the kitchen hold off on it until the other person arrives and orders their entree, if you know what you want."

"No thanks," I said as I shook my head and he walked away. By this time, it was 7:25, and I was thoroughly embarrassed. I flagged the waiter down and told him that I was leaving, as I didn't think she was going to show. After he walked off again, I tipped him a couple of bucks for his trouble and left, leaving the bills under my unused napkin.

To make matters worse, it was raining outside and I had to walk at least fifty yards to the nearest free parking lot, as there wasn't any near the restaurant and valet parking was not available at this place. Seriously, what upscale restaurant like this doesn't offer valet parking?

I turned out of the lot; and as I passed the restaurant's front door, I glanced towards it to see if there was anyone waiting. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that a woman wearing a hooded raincoat and carrying an umbrella was a few steps out into the street. Slamming on my brakes, she briefly waved and hurried across the street. Knowing that she couldn't see me, I still waved back and began the short trek back home.
3manweave

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2016 Dynasty Reports