After Dystopia

Re: After Dystopia

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:10 pm

11/20: Great start! 2 road wins.

68-58 at Central CT. 17, 5 for SF Jay Hart, 13 each for starting guards Ed Eng and Al Pry, 7, 10, 5, 2 for Center Key Sill. 40 RBs, 8 TOs.

83-73 at Mount Mary. Our starting guards were huge- 34, 5, 2 for Pry, 23, 8, 3 for Eng.

We start with 5 road games so 2 more this week.

11/27: 1-1 this week so we’re 3-1 after 4 road games. I’ll take it.

59-70 at Wagner. Eng and Pry had 15 and 14 but no one else did much, and Sill fouled out, playing 17 minutes.

Back on track 76-58 at Loyola-Maryland. 32 for Pry, and +15 RBs.

Kam Scot will start for Des Rohr up front, and Mat Tell has earned the #3 guard spot.

This week’s Council meeting brought a surprise proposal for construction of a new building to house our school and our Health Care facility. It came as a surprise to most of us but the proposal was very thoroughly researched, and very well written up. There was a long discussion. Council Chair Bryn formed a 7 member committee to study the proposal and report back with a recommendation before January 1.

One more road game and then we finally open at home.

12/4: 1-1 week. 4-2, RPI #162.

56-71 at Navy. We were pretty awful. No inside game and 19 TOs.

69-49 over Lafayette here. 13, 12, 3, 3 for Eng, 16, 8 for Sill, 10, 10, 5 for Pry, 14 for Scot. 44 RBs and 4 TOs. Nice to be home!

2 at home this week.

I haven’t mentioned religion. There’s not much to say. Anyone can believe anything they want to believe. Anyone can bring it up in conversation. BY LAW, if the other person says they don’t want to discuss it the conversation has to end or at least the topic has to be dropped completely.

Actually we’re simply not religious. Toward the end of the 21st century religion had taken over, and the people were living in a new Dark Age, at least according to the history we can access. There were restrictions on all sorts of things; church was mandated. By most reports it was not a fun time.

Anyway, I’ve never had a conversation about religion or God or anything like that, I’ve never needed to stop anyone from trying to have one with me, and I don’t know anyone who has had either experience. Again, we live by two rules, do your work and be nice to people.

12/11: 2 wins this week, both at home. 6-2, RPI #103.

69-57 over Sam Francis. 21, 4, 4, 3, 4 for Sill, 16, 7, 4, 2 for Pry, 11 TOs.

Reserve guard Jes Youl sprained an ankle. Out 10 days or so.

71-53 over Norfolk ST. 29 for Pry, 15, 6, 2 for Scot, 12, 8, 4, 3 for Sill. +8 RBs.

2 on the road this week.

12/18: Tough week, 2 losses. 6-4, RPI #181.

65-80 at Brown. We let them shoot 57.4%. 18 each for Sill and Eng.

64-73 at Marshall. It was close for about 30 minutes. 27 for Pry.

I mentioned stores. We don’t really have stores. The only place to get food is at a cafeteria, for instance. We do have sort of showrooms on the ground floor of our factories. If people need furniture they can “window shop.” A person must apply for a new sofa, bed, dining room table, lamp… We do not allow people to simply discard perfectly good furniture. The same holds for clothes, and for everything else. Personal items and medical supplies are available in the showroom at that factory.

With electronics, we update regularly, but encourage keeping the same machines. Our tech people can fix almost any problem. Given that the internet is limited to the eight communities there have been almost no issues regarding viruses, malware… We have twice had teenage boys who tried to go that route but it was easy to trace the activity to them, and believe me, after what we did to them, they were not about to try it again.

We DO have “swap shops” on line. There are websites where people can offer an item- pretty much any item, for trade. Tired of a floor lamp? Put it up on the Swap Shop and you may get to trade it for someone else’s. People have traded beds, sofas, dining room sets, lamps- you name it. But it’s an on line rather than a “bricks and mortar” operation, and transport of items is up to the buyer and the seller. Items of relatively low weight and small size can go from community to community via the railroad (I haven’t mentioned this but the railroad serves as a mail train as well as for freight delivery and very limited passenger service.), but items must be picked up at the depot. Larger items are only available within one’s own community; our solar and electric vehicles are available for use to transport these items.

12/25: We beat Kennesaw ST here, 80-60, to end the pre-conf. season at 7-4, RPI #109. +5.3 PPG, +3.4 RBs, +0.3 TOs.

26, 9, 3 for Eng, 18, 3, 3, 2, 3 for Pry.

12/29: The committee on building a new school/health care center gave their report at our Council meeting. They unanimously supported the idea, and provided a very solid report regarding resources required for the project, both regarding materials and time, as well as a detailed blueprint. There was some tweaking of specifics, and the school wound up being a little larger and the health care center a little smaller. The vote to approve was not unanimous but it was not at all close. In matters of this scope we hold an on line referendum, with all community members age 14 and above being eligible to vote. 89.4% approved. Construction will start as soon as possible after the new year. We have appointed a person to head up the project, and he will gather a crew, and set up a specific plan, including a time line.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:29 am

1/1/2577: We lost at Albany 58-67 to start conf. play. No offense, -8 RBs. 20 for Pry, 15, 5 for Scot, 7, 10 for Sill.

1/8: 2-0 week. 9-5, 2-1, RPI #80.

75-67 over Stony Brook here. 21, 4, 4 for Pry, 13, 7 for Scot.

80-66 at Maine. 5 in double figures led by Pry with 18, 3, 4, 4. +8 RBs.

1/15: 1-1 week. 10-6, 3-2, RPI #99. We’re alone in 3rd, 1 back of 1st.

82-66 over UMBC at home. Scot, Sill, Pry and Eng in double figures. Slight edges in most stat categories.

65-79 at 1st place UMass-Lowell. Our guards did fine, 19 for Pry, 18 for Eng, but we got very little inside. -7 RBs and few points.

It’s just not happening inside, except for Key Sill, who’s a senior, and to a lesser extent Kam Scot.

1/22: 1-1 again this week. 11-7, 4-3, RPI #117. 2 back of 1st.

87-73 over Vermont here. 5 in double figures, +9 TOs. Most points we’ve scored in our two seasons.

57-76 at Hartford. We shot 37.7%, they shot 61.9%. -16 RBs. Awful.

1/29: 1 game week. We beat Binghamton here, 71-51. 16, 7, 3 for Eng, 14, 5 for Hart. 7 TOs (+15).

12-7, 5-3, RPI #113. 1 ½ back of 1st.

1/30: There was knock at our door at 2:20 a.m. Annie nudged me awake and I went to the door. It was Katie, our next door neighbor.

“I just killed Stan.”

That woke me up! I asked if she was sure he was dead. She was.

“I stuck a knife right into his heart.”

Katie’s an R. N. so she knows her anatomy.

“We’re going to need to call Jenny Flood.” Jenny’s our police chief.

“I know. I just didn’t want to be … with him.”

I called.

Annie had joined us almost right away. Katie told us that Stan had been beating her, pretty regularly, for the past couple of years. The soundproofing between the units here is really excellent as I’ve said. We never heard a thing.

Katie showed us some marks, and then she went in the bedroom and showed Annie more marks. Annie came back into the room with tears in her eyes.

“It’s terrible, Vic.”

Jenny arrived shortly afterward. She checked in and saw that Katie wasn’t going anywhere, and then she and Nellie Worth, our head of healthcare, went next door.

We stayed with Katie. After about a half hour Jenny came back. Katie had asked Annie to serve as her defense in the meantime. I went into the bedroom while Jenny conducted the interview, but Annie stayed with Katie.

Eventually, everyone left.

“What do you think?”

“Vic, if there’s any justice in this community Katie won’t be punished in any way. What she went through is unforgivable. I don’t know how she stood it for so long.”

We never did get back to sleep.

We don’t have a jail so Katie was staying at the health care facility. Chief Flood determined she was not a flight risk, not a danger to the community, but she told Katie and the staff that Katie needed to stay there until a preliminary hearing was held before a judge, which will be at 10:00 a.m. today.

1/30: 11:30 a.m.: I went to the hearing since I was involved. Annie moved to have Katie immediately released, and to have all charges dropped. The judge declined, asked the prosecutor, the coroner, and the police chief to get all relevant evidence to her by tomorrow at 10:00. The evidence is clear. No one questions that Katie did it. It will be about the circumstances, and about whether or not it is justifiable homicide.

We have a game here tonight. I’m pretty well prepared but I want a nap, and a chance to go over my plans for the game.

1/31: 3:00 p.m.: After a long day in court the judge ruled it a case of justifiable homicide. He ordered psychological counseling for Katie, and a med eval. Katie was to stay at the health care center until she could find new housing, which would probably be a day or two. She would be under treatment by the psychologist for an indeterminate amount of time. The only restrictions would be any placed on her by the therapist.

2/5: 1-1 week. 13-8, 6-4, RPI #106. 2 games back of 1st, ½ game back of 2nd, ½ up on 4th.

80-63 over Albany here. 21, 5 for Hart, 12, 5, 5, 2, 2 for Pry. 7 TOs (+13).

60-84 at Stony Brook. Starting 5 were okay but we didn’t RB (-12), and our bench gave us nothing.

We haven’t played a close game all season we win big, usually at home, and we lose big, usually on the road. 9-0 at home, 4-8 on the road.

2/12: Yet another 1-1 week. 14-9, 7-5, RPI #111. Alone in 3rd, 3 back of 1st, 1 ½ back of 2nd, 1 up on 4th, with 4 to play.

78-54 over Maine here. 29, 2, 4, 5, 3 for Pry. 8 TOs, 40 RBs.

71-93 at UMBC. 21 for Pry, 18 for Eng, not much else.

2/19: 1-1 again but this week we lost at home and won on the road. 15-10, 8-6, RPI #123. 4 back of 1st, ½ back of 2nd, 1 up on 4th.

56-74 vs. 1st place UMass-Lowell here. 23 for Pry and not much for everyone else. 18 TOs.

71-64 at Vermont. 21, 6, 3 for Eng, 22, 3, 2, 2 for Pry, 14, 6 for Scot. This was our closest game of the season.

2/26: 2 wins to end the regular season.

We end up 17-10, 10-6, RPI #96, tied for 2nd, #3 seed. +3.6 PPG, -0.7 RBs, +3.0 TOs.

75-66 over Hartford here. 33 for Eng. Only 9 TOs. RBs were terrible again, -12.

83-68 at Binghamton. 21, 4, 3 for Pry, 17, 3, 4 for Eng, 16, 8, 3 for Sill, 14, 3 for Scot. +7 RBs.

I got myself involved in a discussion at this week’s Council meeting. Chester Harding manages the furniture factory. It’s our largest factory, and it puts out product for all 8 communities. It is our largest single employer. We have many more employees working the farms, but they are spread out over several farms. Anyway, this was not unexpected, but it’s the first time it has “officially” come up. Here’s what he said:

“Madame Chair, I have a proposal here for putting the Boston community on an economic basis that involves money. It is long past time that we move away from this protectionist economy into the one that created the world’s greatest economies. People have a right to be paid for the work that they do, and people have the right to own commercial enterprises and to make a profit from them (There was great deal of shouting at this point. Luka eventually restored order.). We live in an artificial community where we treat people as if they were all the same. They are not. Some have more intelligence, more talent, a better work ethic, and so on. They deserve to be rewarded for their gifts and for their effort, and it is counter productive to what is best for the community to waste their time and talents on menial tasks such as guard duty, planting, and harvesting.”

Again, shouting broke out, more, and louder, and again our Chair restored order. There was second to the motion, from another factory manager. I asked to speak.

“Madame Chair, I have never spoken at a Council meeting except to present a report or to answer a question but I feel that I must speak now. We here in Boston, and the same can be said for the other 7 communities, have managed to create a society where no one goes hungry, where no one is homeless, where no one lives in squalor or in poverty. When things are going well we all share in that. When we have a setback, from a storm, an earthquake, a crop failure or whatever, we all share in that as well. It is a rare and wonderful thing when every single person in a community is doing well, when no one is being exploited by greedy people looking to make a fortune on the backs of working people. (Loud cheers)

“Mr. Harding would replace that with the kind of cut throat capitalism that led to widespread poverty, a great deal of homelessness, wars, the destruction of the environment, and very nearly the destruction of human life on the planet. The system Mr. Harding champions created great wealth for a very, very few, and great misery for almost everyone else. There has never been an instance where his system was put into effect anywhere, when it did not eventually lead to tremendous inequities in a given society.

“Here in Boston, and in the other 7 communities, everyone contributes. No one gets a free ride. But most importantly, everyone lives decently. Crime is almost non-existent because there is no economic motive for it. I will happily share crime statistics, work attendance statistics- any other data with the group. All of it points to a tremendously successful system where all prosper.

“In conclusion, if Mr. Harding’s proposal is passed, the community of Boston can expect my immediate resignation from my position, and as soon as I can put it together, an application for a transfer to a different community. I would rather work on a farm shoveling manure, in a decent community, than to work in a position of importance in a community based solely on human greed and exploitation.”

I received a loud, long cheer. Lots of others spoke, almost all of them in favor of keeping our current system with absolutely no modification. The handful who spoke in favor of Mr. Harding’s motion were all greeted with jeers.
In the end the Chair tabled the motion, and set a referendum date for a month from today, 3/28. She assigned, for the meeting on 3/26, Chester Harding to present his case, in one hour, with any data he wished to include. She assigned me to speak for the other side, under the same conditions. There would then be an hour of discussion with speakers, who had signed up in advance, speaking for no more than three minutes, alternating between pro and con. I was charged with preparing and sharing whatever statistical data was wanted by Mr. Harding’s side.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:50 pm

Great, the biggest issue to come up in Boston in years, and it comes up during the hoops post season.

We’ll play #6 seed Maine, 9-18, 6-10 first. We won by 14 there, 24 here.

3/1: 76-48. This was the best game we’ve played all season. 22, 7, 7, 4, 2 for Pry, 12, 3, 6, 2, 2 for Eng, 11, 4, 3 for Hart, 8, 9 for Scot, and our best rebounding game of the season, 43-20.

It’s #2 seed UMBC, 15-13, 10-6, in the semis. They have crushed us twice, by 16 here, 22 there. We’re going to need to play well inside to have a chance in this one.

3/2: 85-79! We were down 13 with 11:24 left. UMBC’s center had been hurting us but he was in foul trouble at that point. I called a time out and told my guys to go inside on every single play. It worked. The guy picked up #4. For the rest of the game when we went at him we scored because he couldn’t foul. When he sat his sub couldn’t stop us. My inside game is not great but Key Sill, our only strong inside player, took over.

Al Pry was our leading scorer with 32, 4, 3, 3, but he got most of those in the first 28 minutes. Then it was Sill- 23, 6, 5, 3. 8, 7, 2 for Hart. Our closest game of the season and we were up to the challenge.

#5 seed Vermont, 13-16, 7-9, beat #1 UMass-Lowell in a HUGE upset. We beat them by 14 here, and 7 there. We feel that if we can hold our own inside we should win since we’re stronger outside. Big game. I think getting to the title game means we’ll play in a post season tourney but we need to win for it to be the Big Dance.

3/3: 81-69 and the title! We led by as many as 23, and we never trailed. 16, 3, 2, 3 for Pry, 14, 3, 2, 1 for Sill, 10, 8, 3 for Hart. Three others had 8 each. +4 TOs, +3 RBs.

Last year we had a late season surge to the title, so two years in a row!

I now have some time to prep for the big Council meeting. Harding’s people have asked for lots of data, which I gave them as soon as they asked, every time.

My case is not hard to make. The numbers will tell the story, and it’s my job to present them in a way that will tell the story and will not bore the audience. Our speakers will tell their personal stories of how the system saved them when adversity struck, where under Harding’s system they would have faced disaster.

3/12: 20-10, 10-6, RPI #72. We won our tourney. Can I hope for a #13 seed? Probably not. But we can hope.

#14 East. We play #3 seed, #13 ranked Virginia, 21-8. We are at a huge disadvantage inside. We somehow need to hold our own there, if we are to have a chance.

3/16: 79-69! Biggest win of our two years in existence! We did it in a few ways: 1. We played the best defense any team of mine has ever played, holding them to 34.4%, 25.9% from three point range. 2. Rebounding: we had 40, they had 30. 3. Guard play: 26, 3, 3 for MOP Al Pry, 13, 3, 6 for Ed Eng, and 8 for #3 guard Mat Tell. Key Sill had 12 and 9 with 4 blocks. We’re all ecstatic about this one!

#6 seed, #19 ranked Missouri, 24-9, in the second round. Another tough team, but now we’re playing with confidence.

3/18: 80-82. We played great ball. They went out to a 15-2 lead, built it to 31-7. Then we woke up. We actually caught them 3 times late, and even took the lead twice. In the end they made their free throws late. We had a last chance with 1.5 seconds left and inbounding at half court but they defended us well, and all we had was a contested 24 footer from Pry. It missed.

14, 10 for Sill, 13, 12, 2 for Hart, 12 each for Eng and Scot. They held our best scorer, Pry, to 2. We were great inside, 47-21 on RBs, but we had 20 TOs, they had 7. In any case, I couldn’t be prouder!

3/19: We got home at about 7:30 p.m., from the game, which was held in NYC, to a disaster. There had been a 6.8 earthquake, which hit at about 111 a.m. It did severe damage to our central office building, killing a few people and injuring many others. It also did serious damage to both our furniture factory and our clothing factory. One of our barns also suffered some damage. It’s too soon to get an accurate report of injuries, deaths, or damage. Emergency crews are heading here from the New York, Montreal, and Philadelphia communities since we’re not sure whether there are people buried under debris at certain sites. Our medical people are evaluating the situation to see if they need help from other communities.

3/19: I headed straight for the central office building. I couldn’t get in, of course, but I thought that would be the most likely place to get accurate information. I am, of course, on the Council, and I wanted to meet with my fellow Council members. That didn’t happen. Police Chief Jenny Flood was able to speak with me briefly. She told me that most of our medical personnel were all right, that our head of education was hurt, but not critically, and that our Chief Council, Luka Bryn, was in critical condition, and that she didn’t seem likely to survive the day. She had been hit by a collapsing wall.

Jenny said there would be an emergency Council meeting for any of the 9 who could make it, at 9:00 a.m., in the clothing factory, which had been hit, but which had no real structural damage.

6 of us were at the meeting. Dr. Jill Monty couldn’t be there because she was too busy working with patients, and of course Bob Stone, from education, was in the makeshift healthcare station recovering. Jenny opened the meeting.

“Dr. Monty has just informed me that Luka is dead.”

That took a while for us to process. I raised my hand.

“Look, hopefully Bob will be well enough to join us soon, but we 6 or 7 are the leaders of the community. Everyone will be looking to us. We need a Chief Council. I recommend that, on a temporary basis, that job goes to Chief Jenny.

She’s never been political, she has everyone’s respect, and as Police Chief she is already viewed as a leader. I think-”

“I don’t want the job.”

“Jenny, you have no choice. You don’t need to take it permanently. We’ll decide all of that later, but for the next few days, maybe the next few weeks, we need you in charge. I hope I speak for all of us on that (Everybody made it clear that I did.). And I hope I speak for everyone when I say that we’ll do all we can to help (Again, everybody chimed in.).”

Jenny accepted, but she made it clear that she wanted no part of the job on a permanent basis. We all agreed that it’s too soon to think about that.

3/20: 7 dead, 48 wounded, 17 of those seriously- concussions, fractures, serious abrasions and contusions, some people with multiple injuries. Dr. Monty says she expects no more deaths.

Crews, including all available personnel, as well as our friends from other communities, have cleared most of the debris, which was a dangerous job in some cases. 2 of the 7 dead were found in rubble, and 3 of the wounded. We’re 99.9% sure we won’t find anyone else, dead or alive, at this point. And we did as close a count as we could, and everyone seems to be accounted for.

We were VERY lucky in that the day care people had all of their kids out on a hike when the earthquake hit. The day care center was absolutely flattened. I don’t see how any of the kids could have survived if they’d been there.

Our engineers, building inspectors, and the heads of our construction crews, as well as two engineers visiting from the New York community, who are regarded as the two best structural engineers in the 8 communities, are assessing the buildings that were hit. Their first concern is the safety of the buildings, and their second is trying to decide whether it would be easier to rebuild or to knock down the buildings and start from scratch.

So far they have said the clothing factory and the barn that was hit are safe, and that both can be rebuilt.

They expect to take a few more days to complete the evaluations of the central office building and the furniture factory, both of which are quarantined.

3/21: We held a short, formal council meeting tonight at 7:30, mostly to inform the community about the damage and the casualties, where we are, what we’re doing, what we’re planning, and what they should be thinking about, since all of the major decisions will go to referendum.

At the end of the meeting Chester Harding moved that the 3/26 meeting on his proposal and the referendum to follow be postponed six months. I stood up to oppose his motion.

“No. I think we need to do this now. We have all of our data, we’ve prepared all of our arguments. I think the community needs to have this settled.”

My point, although I didn’t say so in the meeting, is that this earthquake is a perfect example of why we need to keep things as they are. The discussion broke down exactly the way the first one had, with Harding’s people wanting a delay, and my side not wanting one.

Acting Chief Jenny ruled the meeting and referendum would go ahead as planned, and amazingly enough, she was not challenged.

3/25: The engineers, builders, and inspectors recommended to the Council that the central office building be razed. They said the damage was too extensive to make a rebuild reasonable. They asked our architects to design a new
building, to be built on the site of the present one. They further recommended that the building razing begin immediately. That will come up at the beginning of tomorrow’s building.

They recommended that about 15% of the furniture factory be torn down and rebuilt, but they thought the rest of the building was stable, and that work could begin there immediately.

3/26: The meeting began with a quick report by the engineering people. Their motion was approved overwhelming. We do these kinds of votes electronically, of course, and everyone “tuned in” to the meeting votes, as the votes are counted at once.

Then came the battle over Harding’s proposal for a switch to a capitalist economy. They presented first and used their full hour. I gave our side next and used only 42 minutes. Then came the guest speakers, alternating between theirs and hours. That hour went very quickly. Most of the arguments in that final hour were more emotional than anything else but that’s good. Both sides had plenty of time to give the “facts,” so the emotional side was a good idea.

The referendum will be on 3/28. We’re going to win- big.

3/28: Our side won the referendum, 90.1% to 8.9%. Harding said publicly, when the vote was announced, that the issue would come up again, given that this referendum could not have come at a worse time for his side.

The demolition work on both buildings has started. Actually it’s finished at the factory.

4/4: Awards: Freshman guard Al Pry is America East POY, frosh OY, 1st team. Senior Key Sill also made 1st team. Senior Ed Eng made 2nd team, and I got COY.

Demolition of our central office building is complete and reconstruction has begun. We’re hoping to be ready for occupancy by 9/1, but that may be optimistic. Factory reconstruction should take less than a month.

4/9: Contract extension. It doesn’t mean much but it’s nice.

4/16: We get a great recruit, Rupe Wall, C, #81. One to go.

4/23: We get Center Al Crow, #218. So 3 bigs and a PG.

We’re losing 2 very good players to graduation, Ed Eng and Key Sill.

We ask for a facilities upgrade. Got it! We go from C to B.

Great season. After two years we’re at 39-24, .619.

Construction is ahead of schedule on the new central office building and it is very nearly complete on the furniture factory.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:50 am

5/1: 4-1, 3.5-1, 3-1, 2.5-2, 2-4, 1.5-2, 1-2.

5/3: At our weekly meeting Police Chief Jenny said that she would not serve as Chief Council beyond June 1. She asked for nominations from the floor for a new Chief Council. After a few people declined we were left with 3 candidates: Bob Stone from education, Chester Harding, and me.

I wanted to decline. Did decline at first. I love my job. I love statistics. I was asked to reconsider. I hesitated. Dr. Monty called for a recess. She, Annie, and Jenny all cornered me. After what seemed like forever Bob Stone came over.
“Vic, you need to run. We can’t have Chester Harding in this position. Please agree. I’ll withdraw in your favor.”

We reconvened. Bob asked for the floor, seconded my nomination, and announced that he was withdrawing and would support me. Jenny spoke.

“Vic, do you accept the nomination.”

Sometimes you don’t have a choice. I accepted.

Jenny again: “We’ve never had to elect a new Chief. Luka was the Chief right from the start of the community. I propose a referendum on May 28. The winner will have three days to work with me before I turn it over. Given that both Vic and Chester are long time Council members three days is all they’ll need.”

There was a motion to hold a debate between us with the one reporter from each Newsletter asking questions, as well as taking questions from the live and web audience. It was set for May 21. Chester and I were both given an hour to give a speech, him on 5/23, and me on 5/24.

5/18: I hate politics. Chester is campaigning like crazy. He’s stopping people on the street, going around the cafeteria at every meal, talking to people wherever he can find them, as long as they’re not at work.

I’m not doing any of that. I put a message up with my platform, which was basically to continue things the way they were done under Chief Luka, to work toward completion of the construction projects. The furniture factory is completed, and the new school/health care center is also up and running. We feel like we’re about on schedule with the new Center, which is what we’re now calling the central office building. I talk about disaster relief, population growth and how we can plan for it, all sorts of things. I invited people to talk with me or to send in questions. They’re doing both. They seem to appreciate that I’m not bothering them the way Chester is.

I’m working on my speech. I’m not really preparing for the debate. I know about how things work here, and I have all of the statistical data well organized in my head. If going capitalist comes up I know what I want to say about that.

5/21: The debate was interesting. Chester tried to control it, interrupted me constantly, went over his time, cheated, twisted the rules… The moderator, Jenny, did what she could. Chester’s nonsense seemed to pretty much backfire. By the first half break, at 45 minutes, people in the audience were booing him regularly. As the second half progressed, and he dialed up the nonsense, the boos became louder.

I won the debate. The next couple of days made that clear. I will win the election, too, which is equally clear. People are coming up and shaking my hand everywhere I go. When Chester tries to talk to people, most of them walk away from him. I don’t want the job, but I sure don’t want him to have it.

5/23: Chester’s speech was all about the joys of capitalism and how everyone had the chance to become rich and powerful if they were willing to work hard enough. He ran down our system as being paternalistic and propping up lazy good for nothing people. I don’t think many people are going to buy what he’s selling.

5/24: I announced at the beginning of my speech that I would talk for no more than 10 minutes. After that I would take questions, both from the live audience and the web audience. I spoke for 6 ½ minutes and spent the rest of the time answering questions. Several of the questions were plants from Chester’s people but I was ready for them. Here’s my conclusion:
“Look people, what we have here works- for everybody. It’s worked for everybody right from the start of the community. The Council is here to keep things moving forward, to prepare for the future, to handle emergencies, storm damage, crop shortage- anything else that comes up. I see my job as being the guy who tries to hold all of that together, and the guy who does what the Council decides needs to be done. I’m not interested in being any kind of a boss or dictator, just a guy who wants what’s best for all of us. Hope to get your vote."

5/28: The election was closer than the referendum on capitalism, but not by much. I got 88.9% of the vote. Chester got 9.8%. The other 1.7% was either write in candidates or blank ballots.

Annie has been my assistant as well as my partner for quite a while. She’ll take over as statistician, and she’ll get the vacant seat on the Council. I have 7 solid votes. Only Chester and Lynn Carrie, from the fishing fleet, are against me.

Jim Carr, who has the clothing factory is kind of a swing vote, but he’ll be with me most of the time.

6/1: First day on the new job without Jenny by my side. I’m doing a lot of the things I did when I did stats- visiting a lot of work sites and families. I’m just not taking as many notes on numbers now.

6/5: No one in the transfer pool that interests us. My assistants are doing more since I got the new job, but I’m still spending as much time as I can on coaching stuff. Losing the stats job was more than enough; I want to keep this one!

6/18: I suppose I’m settling in. This job is completely undefined, and needs to be. You go around, check on as many things as you can, fix what needs fixing, do what the Council says to do, chair the meetings, trouble shoot, anticipate- endless list, really. I’m working almost every waking hour, either at this or at coaching. Annie makes me relax now and then. We watch a concert or a play or something, on the web or live.

6/26: 3 scholarships. We want 1 guard and 2 bigs.

7/17: Recruiting is coming along.

Things are running smoothly in the community. There was a big earthquake in Milwaukee last week. Lots of casualties. We sent medical personnel and supplies.

Then Philadelphia was hit with some flooding, so we sent supplies there.

The environment is recovering, and recovering well, but it was so damaged that there are still major problems. Violent storms and earthquakes seem to be increasing but, at least so far, the geologists think it may be just a bad time. They don’t see real signs that it’s a major change in pattern, and given that pollution of all kinds has been decreasing for 500 years, they expect the opposite. The fly in the ointment is the results of fracking. In the 100 or so years before everything fell apart fracking had become very widespread. The geologists say this is a major cause of the increase in earthquakes, and the fact that quakes hit where they rarely ever did before. They consider this a real concern, and they cannot estimate how long it will be before the effects begin to diminish. The optimists think a century or two, and the pessimists think thousands of years.

All we can do about earthquakes is to build as solidly as we can and hope for the best. If the epicenter on a given quake is close enough, and the quake big enough, nothing will be strong enough to withstand it.

8/10: Another violent storm followed by a series of earthquakes, the biggest of which registered at 6.7. We had a dozen injuries, the most serious of which were two broken arms, a broken leg, and a concussion which was deemed to be not serious. We completely lost a barn, had damage done to a grain storage silo near that barn, and had damage to The Center, which is still under construction. We had been on target for our 9/1 opening, but this will delay it. It’s too soon to know how long.

The grain storage silo can be rebuilt but the grain stored in it, and it was full, is a total loss. We’ll be fine for food, as this was surplus grain. We keep as much surplus food as we can, even when it means wasting it. Given the frequency and severity of storms and quakes in all 8 communities we feel this is a necessary precaution.

8/15: The engineers and construction people seem to think we lost a month regarding the opening of The Center.

8/21: We offer to 2 bigs and a PG.

9/3: If we have no further setbacks a 10/1 opening of The Center with immediate occupancy seems like it will happen. Grain silo are almost completely repaired. The new barn we’re building to replace the one that was destroyed is
coming along.

9/18: We have a schedule.

9/25: Sta Cvit, Center, #133, from Croatia, commits.

One of the best things about our community is that almost everyone is reasonable. We’re all taught about the last century or so before everything fell apart and how crazy everything had gotten. There was no compromise, there seemed to be no generally agreed upon truths; even facts were brought into question. It was a violent, hate filled time. We have reasonable people. We disagree, sometimes greatly, but we remain civil, and we work out compromises. We respect each other. That makes everything so much easier.

Oh, I’ve never gotten around to this but the 8 communities are not all organized or governed in the same way.

Montreal, for example, is a kingdom. King Gaston IV has ruled for 23 years, after succeeding his father, Pierre II. The King has a great deal of power but there is a legislature that can check his power. If they oppose something they need to get 2/3 to vote to reject it. If that happens the proposal is dropped. They can bring up a proposal of their own by the same rules.

Toronto is ruled by a five person board that has all the power and all the responsibility for leading and running everything. It seems to work. The people I’ve met and spoken with from Toronto seem happy, and when I’ve been there I see no poverty. When a vacancy occurs on the Board, the other Board members fill it. So the people have no power at all regarding government decisions. Everything must go before the Board for approval, including things like expanding an operation, putting a new person in charge of an enterprise such as a factory, or even a fishing boat, marriages, divorces- all sorts of things. Again, it seems to work for them.

Detroit is the only community that uses money. Trade with them is much more complex than with any other community. It’s a barter system but there is very careful record keeping and all sorts of negotiations regarding what is and is not a fair exchange. The other 7 communities all trade with them but less with them than with any other community.

The rest of us, New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and here in Boston, operate pretty much the way we do.

10/2: 1st day of practice. We may be better than last season. We’re picked to win the conf.

10/4: The Center is open, and we’re all working here. The 4 basketball courts look great, as does everything else about it. Very pleased.

11/4: A month in The Center. Everyone loves it.

11/6: Here’s our lineup: Starting at guard are sophs Al Pry and Flye Tess. Tess is a transfer from Texas A & M, where he started. #3 guard is frosh Al Sacc.

Soph Cole Bean starts at SF but junior Al Crow and frosh Tab Venn will fight for minutes there.

Inside it’s junior Rupe Wall and soph Jay Hart, backed by Crow. I like this team.

11/9: The job is going well. I won’t want to be the Chief Council but every time I say that to anyone they say that that is the best qualification for the job. Yeah, okay, but I don’t plan to hold the job forever. I let the Council know that they need to train a replacement, or maybe a group of
replacements.

I haven’t talked about weapons. That differs some among the communities but none are really armed to any great degree. No guns of any kind have been manufactured for about 500 years. No ammunition either. We all train with bow and arrow, just in case, but no one carries weapons, and no own holds weapons privately. The bows and arrows, as well as some daggers, are housed in an armory. Even our border patrols do not carry weapons.

All 8 communities are completely at peace with each other so there’s no need for weapons.

Montreal and Toronto have mandated monthly training with bow and arrow, and they encourage sword training while providing classes and workshops in all of that.

Cleveland, Milwaukee and Detroit allow no use of any weapons, and they don’t even practice with them. There are rumors that they have weapons in storage, but if that’s the case there’s no evidence of it.

New York and Philadelphia operate pretty much the way we do.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 pm

11/20: 2-0 start.

We beat Long Island here, 64-50. Team effort on O with several contributors. +5 RBs, and a big edge from the line, 25-33 to 13-25.

88-75 at Cornell. 26, 4, 2 for Al Pry, 12,7 each for big men Rupe Wall and Jay Hart, 14, 2, 4, 2 for transfer guard Flye Tess. +8 TOs.

2 very different types of games.

We haven’t heard much from Chester Harding since the election. He has even skipped several Council meetings, which we do not encourage. The 9 members of the Council are expected to be active participants. I’m not sure whether he
has given up, or whether he’s planning strategy. He lost so overwhelmingly, both in the referendum regarding going to a money based economy, and in the election for Chief, that he may just be licking his wounds.

11/27: 2 more wins. 4-0, RPI #26 (Which is WAY too high).

73-55 vs. Lehigh here. 19, 8, 3, 3 for Wall, 16, 5, 4, 4, 2 for Tess, 15, 4, 2, 2 for Prye, 12, 7, 2 for Hart. +10 RBs, +10 TOs. This one was easy.

A tougher win, 73-68 at Long Island (Okay, so we played them home and home). They led most of the way, by as many as 12, but we came on late. 21, 7, 3, 3, 2 for Wall, 16, 5 for Tess, 12 each for Pry and Hart.

12/4: 2 more wins. 6-0, RPI #44 (Still too high).

66-51 vs. Stan Francis here. 13, 10 for Hart, 12, 11 for Wall, 13 for Pry, 13 for sub guard Al Sacc. +13 TOs, +5 RBs.

67-46 at Central CT. 20, 3, 6, 2 for Tess, 13, 6, 3 for Wall. +12 TOs. It’s unusual to win a road game this easily.

The past several months have seen no serious storms or earthquakes. Our geologists are saying that all of this is simply unpredictable over the long term, and earthquakes are not at all predictable, but we can expect more of both. At this point everything is running very smoothly in the colony.

12/11: Still undefeated, 8-0.

An amazing 82-39 over Harvard here. The bench lads us, but then they played most of the minutes. 21, 4, 2, 2 for sub guard Al Scaa, 13, 5, 5, 3 for Al Pry. We had 5 TOs (+18), and 25 assists (+19).

Sub SF Tab Venn had 11 but he strained abdominals. He’s out for about 10 days.

77-55 over Columbia here. 14, 10 for Hart, 12, 9, 3, 2 for Wall. 8 TOs (+10).

12/18: 1-1, 9-1, RPI #61.

86-76 over Brown here. 17 each for Hart and Pry, 12, 9, 4, 4 for Wall, 11 for Al Sacc. +9 TOs.

Our 1st loss, 72-78 at Mount Mary. 34, 5 for Pry, 14 for Tess, 9 for Sacc, but we got nothing up front, and we had 17 TOs.

One more pre-conf. game to play.

12/25: We end with a win. 10-1, RPI #64 heading for conf. play. +14.7 PPG, +2.1 RBs, +7.3 TOs.

79-72 at Princeton. 22, 3 for Tess, 12 each for Pry and Hart.

There seems to be a flu going around the community.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:17 pm

1/1/2578: 2 wins to begin conf. play. 12-1, 2-0, RPI #49.

74-71 at Maine in our closest game of the season. Al Pry was in foul trouble all night so Al Sacc took over, scoring 30 from the bench. Tess had 10, 5, 4. +7 RBs.

82-53 over UMBC here. 17, 7, 4 for Wall, and 5 in double figures. +10 TOs, +8 RBs.

The flu is really getting widespread. I’d say about 10% of us have had it. It lasts 4-5 days and the sufferer is really miserable, but then it disappears as quickly as it arrived.

This kind of thing is a real danger, of course. We’ve restored all of the vaccines, and the medicines that were in use before the dystopia hit, but most of the antibiotics stopped working way back then, and they work no better now. Also, we don’t have anything like the medical research capability they had in the old days. When something like this hits we put our medical researchers, in all 8 communities, on it, but there are so few of them it would take a lucky break to find a specific cause. Of course we do have the computer technology, which helps.

Anyway, we’re in wait and see mode. Just today there were two cases reported in New York, and one in Montreal.

1/8: 1-1, 13-2, 3-1, RPI #63. ½ game lead in conf.

59-72 at Albany. Worst offensive performance of the year. 15 for Hart. We couldn’t get anything going.

74-61 over UMass-Lowell here. 19 for Sacc, 15, 4, 7 for Pry, 11, 6, 5 for Tess.

I have yet to coach a team that had a strong inside game. We haven’t had a lot of luck recruiting really good big guys. We get adequate ones, but that’s it.

The flu is now in all 8 communities, and it’s starting to kill people. Everyone under age 50 survives, and most between 50 and 60 (about 88%). Over age 60 it can be devastating, and past age 70 it is nearly always fatal. Our doctors and medical researchers haven’t found a cause yet, let alone any effective treatment. The docs prescribe things to help with the flu symptoms, but either the patient fights it off, or doesn’t.

1/15: 2-0 week. 15-2, 5-1, RPI #51. 1 game lead.

67-63 at Binghamton. 17, 8, 2 for Hart, 1818, 2, 2 for Pry. +10 RBs. As good an inside game as we’ve played.

65-54 over Hartford here. Tess, Pry, Wall, and Sacc were all in double figures.

The flu is definitely an epidemic. Children and adolescents are not even contracting it now, but everyone from late 30’s up has gotten it or has it, except for a very few of us. Annie and I have not gotten it, at least so far.

Verna Lee, the farmer on the Council was a casualty; she died three days ago. Chester Harding came down with it yesterday. He’s 66 years old so he’s in the danger group. No one else on the Council has been stricken with it.

Joly Farr has been named to the Council to replace Verna. Joly is also a farmer. She runs our bean and legume farm.

1/22: 1 game week. We were at 2nd place Stony Brook. We crushed them, 74-50. 24 for Pry, 17, 7 for Hart, 13, 2, 3 for Tess. 11 TOs (+9).

16-2, 6-1, RPI #34. 2 up in the loss column.

The flu has pretty much run its course. There were very few new cases this week. But it has been devastating, particularly among older people. We don’t have solid numbers for all 8 communities yet but we’re estimating that as many as 50% of those over age 60 have died from the flu. All in all we’ve lost about 8% of our population. There’s no bright side really, but it certainly would have been worse if younger people had been the primary victims. There’s still a great deal of hard physical labor that needs to be done- fishing, farming, factories… We’ll miss the experience of the elderly a great deal.

1/29: Ranked!!! #22. 2 home games, 2 wins. 18-2, 8-1, RPI #28. 3 game lead in conf. +13.9 PPG, +3.0 RBs, +6.4 TOs.

74-55 over Vermont. 21, 10, 2, 4 for Wall, 14 each for Hart and Pry. +9 RBs, +8 TOs.

69-43 over Maine. 17, 6, 2 for Pry. 37 RBs, 7 TOs.

D*mn! One new case of the flu in the 8 colonies this week- Annie. She got it day before yesterday and she is really sick.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:54 am

2/5: 1-1 week. 19-3, 9-2, #17, RPI #36.2 game lead with 5 to play.

Tough loss at UMBC, 68-69. It went back and forth late. They had the last possession and they made the shot. 20 for Pry, 17 for Tess.

56-40 over Albany here. We led all the way. 17, 10, 2, 4 for Wall, +11 TOs, great D.

Annie is VERY ill. I’m worried, and the doctors are not encouraging.

2/7: I lost Annie last night. People in her age group recover from this. No one can tell me why she didn’t. We were together a little over 9 years. I thought we’d be together… well… This is hard…

2/12: Another 1-1 week. 20-4, 10-3, #17, RPI #34. Still a 2 game lead.

65-75 at last place UMass-Lowell. -15 RBs, and nothing inside.

74-65 over Binghamton here. 18, 10 for Wall, 18 for Sacc, +10 TOs.

This is hard. I lose myself in work, but when I come home at night Annie’s not here. We had a great relationship; we just fit together. She was part of me.

2/19: 1 game week. We beat Hartford there, 54-45. Group effort on what little offense we had, but we won this one with D. They shot 28.6%.

21-4, 11-3, #18, RPI #30, 3 up with 2 to play.

2/26: 1-1. We finish the regular season at 22-5, 12-4, #19, RPI #30. 3 up on 2 teams. +10.0 PPG, +0.9 RBs, +5.7 TOs.

73-70 over Stony Brook here. 18, 11 for Wall, 19, 4, 4, 2 for Tess. We never trailed but they never went away. They scored the last 6, so it wasn;t really as close as the score, but close enough.

65-85 at Vermont. 35 fouls called on us (26 on them) in a ridiculous game. They went 41-50 from the line, we went 23-32. Ridiculous. Al Sacc had 23.

Our challenge is inside play. If we’re going anywhere in the post season it needs to improve.

There’s a topic I’ve been avoiding, something that happens in all 8 communities that is very controversial, but that has the support of a large majority in all 8 communities.

We abort babies with serious birth defects. We simply do not have the resources in our communities to support people who will need a lifetime of support, and who will not be able to contribute their fair share. With ultrasound and other techniques, we are able to identify “defectives.” When we do identify them they are aborted. However, if a baby is born with defects of any kind we care for that baby and do our best to keep it alive, no matter what the cost. I don’t think anyone loves this policy but it is a matter of simple economics. If and when we reach the point where we can support children with birth defects we will do so, I’m sure.

My mind is going to dark places way too often since I lost Annie. She kept me centered, kept me going. She knew how to take the pressure off, to lighten my load, to make me laugh when I needed to. I miss her more than I can say. I find myself wishing we had had a child.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:05 am

2/28: #8 seed Albany, 9-18, 6-10, in the quarter finals. No guarantee though. They won by 13 there. We later won by 16 at our place.

3/1: 74-56. We came to play. 6 in double figures. +7 TOs.

#4 seed UMBC, 12-16, 8-8, in the semis. We won by 29 at our place, then later lost by 1 there.

3/2: 92-63. My guys are playing really well! 27 for Pry, 17 for Tess, 13, 5, 3, 5 for Hart. 4 TOs (+15).

#7 seed Binghamton, 15-14, 7-9, for the title. We won by only 4 there, only 9 here.

3/3: 82-47. What an incredible tournament. We blew out all three opponents. 18, 3, 4 for Al Sacc, 16, 7, 3 for Pry, 14, 5, 3 for Wall, 11 for Tess, 10 for Hart. 7 TOs (+10).

3/5: 25-5, 12-4, #16, RPI #27. RPI will change once more but I think we can expect a decent seed.

3/12: RPI #26, which mean about a #6 or #7.

#6 South. We play #11 Georgetown, 18-14, first. We don’t match up with these guys. Hopefully we’re still as hot as we were in the conf. tourney.

3/17: 73-65. Al Sacc had a hot hand so we stayed with him- 25, 3, 2. Our guards won this one for us, which is the norm. Pry had 17, 6, 5, 2, and Tess had 11, 2, 3. +5 TOs. The bigs hit the boards though- 37 RBs (+7). Great win!

#3 seed, #13 ranked Xavier, 23-8, in the 2nd round. This is a very good team.

3/19: 82-86. This one was all offense on both sides. We probably lost it when Al Sacc pulled a calf muscle with 4 ½ to go, and was unable to return. 30, 2, 3, 1, 4 for Pry, 20, 4, 2 for Sacc, 13 for Tess, 9, 8 for Wall. +6 TOs helped but -11 RBs really hurt.

Great season.

I dread the end of the season. I always do but with Annie gone I want no part of the extra time I’ll have on my hands.

4/4: Awards: Junior C Rupe Wall was Defensive POY, and guard Al Sacc was freshman OY. Wall made 1st team. Al Pry, Flye Tess, and Jay Hart made 2nd. So all 5 who received awards will be back next year. I got COY.

4/7: A horrific storm, followed by a 7.2 earthquake, struck Milwaukee during the night. Preliminary reports indicate tremendous damage and many casualties. We, and the other communities are sending medical teams and rescue personnel to the scene.

4/8: Word out of Milwaukee is that it is really, really bad. Thousands dead or missing, many vitally important buildings down. Issues with potable water. Their central office building is standing and pretty much undamaged but all but one of their factories is gone, and all but two of their barns and silos are wrecked. People were crushed by falling buildings in the earthquake, after they came out of the storm shelters; most of them never made it back home, that’s how soon after the storm the quake hit. That’s how most of the deaths occurred. There are many wounded, and there’s no way to know how many are trapped or buried alive. Each of the other 7 communities are sending as many rescue workers as they can spare, and all but a very few of their medical workers.

This is the worst disaster that has ever hit the 8 communities since they were re-formed.

4/11: Milwaukee’s most recent population count before the storm/quake stood at 54,491. 11,447 are confirmed dead from the storm, and 866 remain missing and are now presumed dead, although the search continues.

4/14: I just returned from Milwaukee. The cleanup is ongoing and some progress is being made. The fresh water supply has been re-established so there is no longer a need to bring water in from the other communities. Two food warehouses remained intact, but there will be a need for food shipments for a long time. They will need to re-establish a viable population of lambs and chickens, as well as wait for a harvest. Replanting is being done but it will be a few months.

The death toll is now set at 12,305, including those missing and presumed dead, who are surely dead after a week.

All of the communities will join in a rebuilding effort which will consist of 4 factories, a school/health center, 12 silos, 6 barns, and lots of housing. Milwaukee had not gone to storm/quake proof housing but the experts tell us most of the housing would have been destroyed even if they had. This was a very powerful quake with an epicenter practically in the heart of the community.

It’s amazing that the main building remained standing and relatively undamaged, but it did. Not that it’s important, but this is the building that housed the four gyms, as well as offices and such.

In any case this is a long term, major project. Most of the community is in temp housing- Quonset hut type buildings.

The entire Milwaukee community except for the farmers and some essential personnel will devote their work time to rebuilding until further notice. Other communities will have architects, engineers, construction crews… on site. There’s a large need for health aides for the estimated 4800 who have serious injuries- broken bones, concussions…

4/16: PG Bo Merr, #62, commits.

4/23: We ask for a budget increase. Nope.

26-6, conf. title and tourney, 2nd round of NCAA. We’re losing no one who plays very many minutes.

Overall: 65-30, .684.

4/30: Work continues in Milwaukee.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:48 am

5/1: 4-2, 3.5-2, 3-2, 2.5-4, 2-3.

6/5: Looking at transfers. We see a C we like.

6/12: No luck.

6/26: 4 scholarships.

7/14: Three months later and things are getting back to normal in Milwaukee. Still a long way to go in some areas. Losing almost a quarter of their population was probably the biggest challenge. People were encouraged to move to Milwaukee to fill jobs, and lots did, but they’re still short about 5,000, and there are still positions to be filled.

Housing is rebuilt. Long term, they plan to go with the type of storm/quake proof housing we have here in Boston, but that will only come when factories, barns, silos, and such are rebuilt, and after things have settled down.

8/21: We offer to 3 bigs and a PG.

9/18: We get guard Cal Joan, #78.

And we have a schedule.

9/25: Lost a Center.

10/2: Ben Goam, PF, #148 commits. 2 to go.

Things have been quiet in the communities. Milwaukee is successfully rebuilding- almost finished actually.

There have been storms and quakes in all of the communities but nothing extraordinary, nothing terrible destructive.

No further cases of the flu. Annie was the last one. I’m still not over losing her. I’m not sure I ever will be.

10/9: Tough recruiting week. We lost 2.

We’re picked to win the conf. again.

10/11: I received a petition today. Chester Harding and a group of 27 members of the Boston community have notified me, and through me the Council, that they are leaving to form a new community near St. Louis, very close to the
Mississippi River. We are told there are a total of 277 of them, some from all 8 of our communities.

They are “demanding” supplies, equipment, and surplus food, enough to get started with their community. They are also “demanding” that rail lines be repaired to connect them with the other 8 communities.

I will bring this up at tomorrow’s Council meeting with the recommendation that the Chief Councils or their equivalents, from all 8 communities meet electronically to evaluate and discuss the petition, and that we then make recommendations to each of our Councils or other ruling bodies.

10/12: The leaders of the 8 communities set up a conference call before our meeting. Actually, we talked about the petition for a couple of hours. I also discussed it with members of the Council, all of whom came into my office at some point today.

At the Council meeting, after a LONG discussion, the proposal to have the leaders of the communities meet was approved.

There was a motion to remove Harding, and Lynn Carrie from the fishing fleet, who also signed the petition, from the Council. I ruled it out of order and said that I would entertain a similar motion next week if the two had not resigned by that date. I explained that there was simply too much going on right now to make this major change. There was no opposition to my ruling.

10/19: After a very busy week of talks, among the 8 community leaders, with Council members, with what felt like hundreds of community members, the 8 leaders were all ready to go to their communities with a proposal:

1 Whoever wishes to leave their community is free to do so.

2 Any and all who leave would be supported in their efforts to establish rail service to the other 8 communities- as long as they did all of the work involved. We were not willing to take workers away from other projects.

3 We would provide the St. Louis community with a year’s supply of surplus food, and with enough seeds to begin growing their own crops.

4 To the extent that they were available we would supply materials for construction of a limited number of housing units- enough to house the 294 people leaving (a few newcomers joined- I think their leaders expected a massive number to join once they went public. Something like 17 people joined.), one public building large enough to house a small school and a small health care facility, and with some few office buildings, two barns, and two silos.

5 We would transport all who wished to leave, via railroad to Detroit, and then via electric bus, to their chosen destination, with enough tents to give them temporary housing.

6 They must leave no later than December 1 of this year.

The proposal passed after another long discussion. Those who thought we were being too generous were about equal in number to those who felt we were not being generous enough.

The proposal passed in all 8 communities. It was a close vote only in Montreal.

Harding and Carrie resigned from the Council but asked to remain as non-voting members until their departure. We agreed. Millie Wheaton, who will take over the furniture factory, and Mick Ting, of the fishing fleet, were nominated to take over the Council seats. Both are well known and well liked. I’m sure they will be elected. They will serve as appointees until we hold an election.

10/30: Chester Harding has been a constant annoyance since the 10/19 vote. He’s been making demands of me and of the Council. We keep telling him that the 6 point deal we made on 10/19 is the deal. That’s it. Nothing will be added. Frankly, we’ve been way more than generous.

11/6: We’re starting with a 7 man rotation but that will likely change:

At guard it’s junior Al Pry and soph Al Sacc starting, with junior Bo Merr backing up.

Flye Tess started at guard last year but he’s our SF this year.

Inside it’s seniors Rupe Wall and Al Crow, with Sta Cvit backing up inside. We have guys waiting for their chance.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:01 pm

11/20: 2-0 to start.

We beat Holy Crapp 85-72 there. 21, 3, 7 for returning guard Al Pry, 14, 6, 2 for PF Al Crow, 16 for SF Flye Tess, and 13, 4 for sub forward Ad Baer. +8 RBs but 19 TOs (they had 22).

78-57 over Bucknell here. 23, 3, 5, 2, 3 for Pry, 8, 5, 2 for Tess, 12, 7, 17 for C/PF Rupe Wall, 10, 6, 4, 3, 3 for Baer. 17 TOs but they had 25.

One of our recruits, the C, did not sign, so he won’t hit our SAT score. D*MN!

Harding continues to try to “sweeten the deal” and we continue to hold fast. His crews are out working the rail lines, and building housing units. Neither will be ready for 12/1 but we didn’t think they would be, and there’s no need for them to be. I hope for their sakes that the housing units are ready soon.

I’m sure the goal of the 291 members of the secession group is to establish a capitalist state, to trade with the rest of us, including capitalist Detroit, and to show the superiority of their system. Frankly, the people of Detroit, except for those at the top, live worse than the people at any of the other settlements, and Detroit is the leading community in emigration. There will be no rush to trade with the new St. Louis community. Don’t get me wrong, we won’t freeze them out or try to ensure their failure, but we will only trade with them when the terms are equitable.

11/27: Another 2-0 week so we’re 4-0.

68-51 over Scared Heat here. 21 for sub guard Bo Merr, 15, 2, 5 for Pry. 11 TOs (+11).

77-44 over Mount Mary here. 26, 3, 3 for Merr, 22, 4, 5 for Pry. +9 RBs, +6 TOs. We’re still a guard oriented team but we rebound well (+4.5).

Ad Baer is going to start over Al Crow at PF.

12/1: The secessionists left today. We lost 27, the original number, and in total 266 left the communities. Frankly, we’re glad to see them go. We’ve reworked schedules and re-assigned a few people regarding jobs, shifts, and such, but it was a very minor adjustment.

12/3: The secessionist buses left from Detroit to the St. Louis area today.

12/4: We’re 6-0 after a week of beating up the Ivy League.

78-61 over Yale here. 21, 2, 3 for Al Sacc, 16, 3, 2 for inside sub Sta Cvit, his first good game, 14, 9 for Wall. +10 TOs, +5 RBs.

88-57 at Harvard. Tess, Pry, Merr, and Sacc had good games. 10 TOs (+15).

12/11: 1-1 week. We’re 7-1, RPI #82.

87-62 over Long Island here. 23 each for Pry and Baer, 15 for Sacc. +12 TOs.

Our first loss, 77-85 at American. We let them shoot 51%, and they had 11 more RBs.

12/18: We split 2 road games. 8-2, RPI #100.

80-56 at Brown. 21, 5, 5 for Sacc, 16, 4, 2 for Tess. 10 TOs, 37 RBs.

Tough loss, 55-58 at Stan Francis. Offense just couldn’t get it going, 36.7%. -8 RBs, lots of foul trouble.

News from St. Louis is not good. The group there seems to be in over their heads. They’ve asked for assistance three times in the two weeks they’ve been there. 7 of the other 8 communities are standing first. We will help only if they are in life threatening danger; they made this choice, and we gave them more than adequate supplies, materials, foodstuffs…

Detroit is willing to be more helpful, and they have been, at least somewhat. I think they want a second capitalist community to succeed. They may wind up needing to pour a lot of resources into St. Louis. Many, if not most of those who went there are malcontents. There were few in leadership roles, and frankly, not very many hard workers. Building a community from nothing is a miserably difficult task. I’m not sure they’re up to it. I don’t know about other communities but Boston will not take anyone back.

12/25: 9-2 to end preconference play. RPI #88. +18.5 PPG, +2.0 RBs, +7.2 TOs.

12/27: The St. Louis community is no more. All 266 have resettled in Detroit, the only community willing to accept them. Their attempt to establish a new community was a complete failure, lasting less than a month. Frankly, we’re glad to be rid of Chester Harding.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2016 Dynasty Reports