Tomorrow?

Re: Tomorrow?

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:31 am

11/14: 69-58 Rutgers here. Our guards took good care of the ball, only 12 TOs (+8). 17 for SF Dee Akin, 15 for PF Cam Arn, 12, 7 for C Rick Joyn, 10 for Nick Wrig, who played some SF and some PF. We got no scoring from the back court but the D and the ball handling were good- I’ll take it!

11/17: 52-60 at Eastern Illinois. We shot 33.3% and got absolutely nothing from the bench. 20, 9, 2, 2 for Akin, 13, 3 for Arn.

11/20: All 4 recruits sign. We’ll probably try to pick up a guard or 2 in the spring.

11/21: BIG win, 73-49 at Holy Crap. 32, 5 for Akin. +11 RBs. Guards still aren’t giving us much on O, but they’re taking care of the ball fairly well.

This living with someone takes some getting used to. I mean, I really love being with Holly, but I never lived with anyone. Holly is teaching me how not to drive her crazy. She’s so great.

11/24: 68-58 over Northwestern here. 19, 7 for Akin, who is definitely our go to guy, 13, 7, 4, 4 for Joyn, in his best game so far, 15, 3, 2 for Arn. +13 RBs. 19 TOs, but they had 18.

We’re exceeding expectations so far. This is my first good inside team, +6.3 RBs per game.

11/28: 80-56 over Kona here. 29, 10, 2, 2, 2 for Akin, 20, 7, 3, 4 for Arn, 8, 7 for Joyn. 8 TOs. We looked good tonight.

12/6: 50-67 at Central Michigan. 14, 6 for Akin, 9, 2, 4, 2 for Chil but he had 6 TOs. We had 21.

Giving Jem Sign Dan Jore’s minutes.

Holly disappeared for a while after the game. I got really worried. Then I remembered what she does, and realized she was probably on a mission. Then I got way more worried. I didn’t sleep until she got to the hotel, at about 3:30 in the morning.

“Don’t ask. The less you know the better.”

I didn’t.

12/13: 68-71 to Navy here. Frustrating loss. We let them shoot 59.5%, 11-17 on threes. 28, 4 for Akin, 10, 7 for Arn, and 10 for Sign in the first game where he gets real minutes at guard. Maybe he’ll help us.

Off to the Las Vegas Winter Jam. We’re the #5 seed and play #4 Missouri.

12/16: 72-62. 23, 7 for Akin but for the first time, our guards got points- 16, 4, 2 for Fisk, 11, 6, 5, 2, 2 for Chil. +9 RBs, 10 TOs.

#1 seed, #14 ranked Oregon, 6-1, in the semifinals.

12/17: 48-75. We got beat up. 29.5% shooting. No starter had more than 6 points or 6 RBs. We did get good bench play.

12/19: 58-76 at Southern Utah. We fell apart in the 2nd half.

The staff and I are looking at changes; trying to think outside the box.

We’re going to try a one guard offense. Mike Fisk is the only guard who is playing well. He’ll be at the Point, Jem Sign backing up. At SG is SF Nick Wrig, also backed by Sign. Akin remains at SF, with Wrig behind him. Arn and Joyn sill still start inside with Avi Sand behind them. Let’s see what happens.

12/25: We end pre-conf. play at 5-5, RPI #. +1.8 PPG, +2.2 RBs, +1.4 TOs. But this was against a weak schedule. The conference is stronger, although New Mexico, at #17, is the only ranked team.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:59 pm

12/27: 75-63 over Nevada her, to start conf. play. 30 and 5 for Akin, 14, 8, 2, 3 for Arn, 8, 7 for Joyn, and Wrig had 7 in his 1st start at SG. 19 TOs (-3), and +5 RBs.

12/30: 65-62 at Fresno ST. Back and forth all night. Never more than 9 separating the teams. At the end we outscored them 11-6. 20 for Joyn, 15 for seldom used inside player Roy Rich, 11,4 for Akin. 22 TOs but they had 20. We had all kinds of foul trouble- Joyn and his back up both fouled out, and 2 others ended up with 4. But we’re 2-0 with the one guard lineup. We’re turning it over a lot, but we’re winning.

1/1/6: 7-5, 2-0, RPI #109.

Holly and I have been living together for 2 months. I’m learning what I need to learn and it seems to be going really well.

1/2: 73-77 to #19 New Mexico here. They were up 15 with 16 minutes left. I’m proud of my guys for not giving up. 29, 5 for Akin, 6, 11 for Joyn, 8, 3, 6 for Fisk, 9 for Wrig, 7, 7, 2 for Sand. Joyn fouled out. Arn was invisible, playing 6 minutes before fouling out. Honestly, only one of the calls was a bad one. +14 RBs, and only -3 TOs. We played well against the best team in the conf.

We’re giving Roy Rich the minutes Avi Sand had, and even a few of Rick Joyn’s. He looks good when we put him in.

1/6: 76-69 at San Diego. 32, 5, 2, 4, 3 for Akin, 16, 10 for Joyn. Rich played well in his first game getting lots of minutes.

1/9: 77-64 at Colorado ST. 35, 4 for Akin, who is on fire lately. 7, 12, 5 for Wrig, 7, 2, 8 for Fisk.24 TOs (-7), but +13 RBs.

1/11: 65-57 over San Jose ST here. 16, 6 for Joyn. Both Akin and Arn, our 2 best scorers played limited minutes (16 and 15) due to fouls, but we got great bench play to make up for it.

1/15: 10-6, 5-1, RPI #100. 1 back of 1st, ½ up on 3rd, 1 ½ up on 4th.

1/17: 54-57 to Utah ST here. Refs did us in. Wrig and Sign both fouled out in very limited minutes, and both Arn and Joyn had 4, and played 23 and 18 minutes; they took 18 more free throws than we did. Very frustrating. 26, 5 for Akin, 9, 6, 2, 4 for Rich.

1/18: Holly didn’t come to the hotel after the game. She wasn’t here when we left for the airport. I packed her things and brought them with me. She didn’t catch the flight back home.

Finally, at just a little after 11:30 p.m. I heard a very quiet knock at the back door of our house. I went to the door and asked who was there. She quieted me and asked to be let in.

When I did she was a mess.

“Don’t ask.”

“But-”

“Will, don’t ask!”

“… Okay. How can I help?”

“I need a shower, and a long soak in the hot tub. I’d love it if you joined me in the tub- as long as we don’t talk about it.”

I nodded. When she got out of the tub she was covered in bruises. I opened my mouth and-

“Will. Don’t! This is the way it is. If you can’t deal with it maybe you should reconsider this relationship.”

“… That’s the last thing I’ll do. I don’t have to like it though.”

I need to find a time to ask her if she can at least use some sort of signal to let me know when she will not be coming home on time. Not sure how to do that.

1/23: Worst night of the season. We lost 70-82 at 2nd place Boise ST, but that wasn’t the worst part. Rock Joyn, our Center, and our leading rebounder and shot blocker, and 2nd leading scorer tore his ACL. He’s out for
maybe a year. Avi Sand and Roy Rich will get his minutes but we are in Big trouble.

In the game, Joyn went down 6 minutes in, and Boise ST just took off, getting the lead to 19 at the half. Sand played well, 19 and 7, Arn had 16 and 12, Akin had 11, 4. One of our goals is to finish 3rd in conf. We’re tied for 3rd now but this may be a difficult goal to reach.

1/24: Holly took a while to recover from… whatever happened, but she’s fine now, and we’re hiking again. It sucks to have to avoid a subject, but I don’t see a way around that.

1/25: First test without Joyn was against the worst team in the conf. 74-64 over Wyoming here. We used 6 guys, and all of them did well. 19, 5, 3 for Akin, 12, 5, 2, 4 for Wrig, 12, 2, 3, 5 for Rich, 9 each for the other three, Arn, Sand, and Fisk. Sand had 7 RBs. +10 TOs, +6 RBs.

1/27: 55-63 at UNLV. 26 TOs limited us to a dismal 35 shots. 17, 6 for Sand, 14 for Akins. Honestly, poor ball handling is a bigger issue than Joyn’s injury.

1/29: 11-9, 6-4, RPI #166. 4th place, ½ a game back of 3rd. +2.2 PPG, +3.4 RBs, even on TOs.

3 recruits we’re chasing failed to hit our SAT score. The Academy has strict standards. At least all of those who committed to us hit the score.

Next game is at 3rd place Nevada. BIG game!

1/30: 77-71! Huge road win. We led most of the way despite foul trouble. 20, 4 for Akin, 17, 9 for Sand, 16, 5, 4, 3 for Rich, 12, 2, 5 for Fisk.

We’re in 3rd, only ½ a game up on Nevada. 7 to play, 4 at home. I think we need to go 5-2. Not sure we can, but I think that’s what it will take.

2/1: 75-54 over Fresno ST here. 18, 4 for Akin, 15, 2, 4, 3 for Wrig, 13 for Arn. Foul trouble again, but it didn’t matter. +11 TOs.

2/4: 67-79 at at #6 New Mexico. Well, I didn’t expect to win this one. We played well, all in all. -8 TOs, but +10 RBs. Our D could have been tighter, especially outside. 20 and 6 for Akin, 13, 5 for Rich, 6, 12, 9 for Fisk.

Nevada lost as well. We’re in 3rd, but 2 other teams are tied with us with 5 losses- our edge is in the win column.

2/10: 61-51 over 2nd place Boise ST here. We led most of the way, again despite foul trouble. 20, 11 for Akin, 12, 9 for Arn, 10, 6 for Rich.

½ game back of 2nd, ½ game up on 4th, 1 up on 5th, 1 ½ up on 6th. Could be quite a finish.

2/12: 14-10, 9-5, RPI #137

2/14: 50-62 at San Jose ST. 22 TOs.

Nick Wrig hurt his back. He will be at less than 100% for our next game. He’ll very likely play, though.

We’re in for quite a finish. Everyone has 2 or 3 to play, and Boise ST is in 2nd, 1 in the loss column up on UNLV, San Diego ST, and us (We play UNLV here in the final regular season game).

2/17: 80-59 over Colorado ST here. Never a contest. 25, 11 for Arn, 20, 6 for Akin. +8 RBs, 11 TOs.

We now have 4 on the injured list. Jem Sign hurt his back and is probably finished for the regular season. Little used Sly Dern hurt his arm; out about a week. Wrig will be 100% for our next game though.

Tied with UNLV in 3rd, 1 back of 2nd, 1 up on 5th.

2/22: 54-66 at Utah ST. We scored 16 in the 1st half. That did it. They took 18 more free throws. 14, 11, 3, 4 for Sand, 16 for Akin, 10, 5, 3 for Fisk.

Okay, 1 to play. We’re one back of 2nd, in a 3 way tie for 3rd with UNLV and San Diego ST. All of those teams play at home except for UNLV, and they’re here.

2/23: Holly didn’t come home from work yesterday.

2/24: 64-54 over UNLV here. 16, 5 for Akin, 13, 7, 5, 5 for Rich, who was terrific, 10 for Sand. 23 TOs but they had 19. +7 RBs.

San Diego ST lost to New Mexico so we finish 3rd.

Holly is still not here. She actually missed the game. My A. D., Cliff Morr, says to keep calm. Yeah…

2/26: We end the regular season at 16-12, 11-7, RPI #. Alone in 3rd. +2.7 PPG, +3.9 RBs, -0.6 TOs.

I have to say the one guard offense really helped us.

Holly is still nowhere to be found.

3/2: Holly is back. Well, she’s in the infirmary and they won’t let me see her yet, but she’s back and she’s safe.

3/3: I saw Holly. She’s in bad shape, but nothing serious. She’ll be home tomorrow, and back to work in 2-3 days.

We had the usual talk. This is really hard.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:27 pm

3/7: We play #6 seed San Diego ST, 14-13, 10-8, in the quarters. We won by 7 there in our only meeting. I think we need two wins to get invited anywhere. Definitely one, but probably two.

I can see the pain in Holly’s face as she moves around to try to do her job at work, and when we’re at home as well.

3/8: 82-74. We were down 14 early, but got it to 9 at the half. Then we just chipped away. We took the lead with 2:02 left and scored the last 10. 21, 2, 2, 4 for Akin, 15, 7 for Sand, 13, 6, 2 for Arn, 14, 4 for Rich. 11 TOs (+9).

#2 seed Boise ST, 16-12, 12-6, in the semifinals. They won by 12 there and by 10 here, so this is a tough matchup for us. Their C, who is their #1 scorer, rebounder, and shot blocker is out with a broken leg. So both teams are playing without their #1 C.

3/9: 58-76. These guys are better than we are. They proved it 3 times this year. 16, 6, 3, 2 for Akin. Fisk and Sand each had 10, 5, 2.

Seldom used Sly Dern has back spasms. If we get invited anywhere he probably won’t play, but he probably wouldn’t have anyway.

3/10: New Mexico ran the table in the conference. 18-0, then they won the tourney. #4 in the country so not many teams are beating them!

3/12: 17-13, 11-7, RPI #141. Will we or won’t we be invited anywhere?

And our season is over.

3/26: We got a guard. Looks like a good one. Hoping to get one more.

Holly seems to be mostly recovered. We’re bickering. I just can’t handle the uncertainty, the lack of information, the stress of never knowing when she’ll turn up missing again, and when or IF she’ll come back.

She answers that she simply can’t tell me, and that I can’t tell what I don’t know.

This is taking a toll on us.

4/1: Got that guard! He’s our first top 100 recruit here, #94.

4/3: #5 Arizona won it all.

I went to the Academy Superintendent, Lt. Gen. Carstairs. He heard me out, and believe me, I didn’t hold back. I told him everything. He asked me for 2-3 days, at which point he would get back to me.

4/4: Awards: Dee Akin was conf. MOP, as he should have been! 1st team as well, of course. He’s a senior and we’ll miss him. That’s the only award we got.

4/6: Gen. Carstairs called us in. Cliff Morr was there as well, as was my #1, Rod Hall. That’s everyone that I know of who’s in on what we’re doing.

After a long discussion, and Holly was PISSED through most of it, the General said that Holly needed to tell me when she would be delayed, or when she would be away. She was to give me no details. Then she spoke:

“General, I object. Part of doing what we’re doing here requires a certain amount of ambiguity. When we move away from that we add extra risk to a mission which probably already has way too much risk to begin
with. I want no part-”

“Agent Sanders, I just gave you an order.”

“… Yes sir. Sir?”

“Is there anything in that order that prevents me from ending my relationship with Coach Phyte?”

“No. That’s none of my business. But I hope you’ll give that some thought.”

“Is that an order, sir?”

“No. No it’s not.”

When we left the General’s office Holly stormed out. I tried to catch up with her but there was no way she was going to let me.

When I got home that evening there was a note on the door.

“Your things are in the garage, and I’ve changed the locks. I’ve asked for a leave of absence and a transfer. Goodbye.”

I had a lot of stuff, but I managed to fit it all into my car, barely. I drove to the Athletic Center, and slept in my office. I figured I’d start looking for a place in the morning.

4/8: Got a place. It’s just a little efficiency apartment, but it’s furnished, and has everything I need… well, except for Holly… it doesn’t have Holly.

4/11: Gen. Carstairs sent for me. We had a talk. He said he’s sorry for the way things turned out. He has transferred Holly to the women’s soccer, effective immediately. Jen Fremont, the team trainer there, will come to my team.

4/23: We need more budget dollars. Yes! $10,600. Still can’t afford National Gold but a step.

17-13, 11-7, 3rd place. Considering we had one guard- a walk on, I’ll take it. Better days ahead! Overall, I’m 107-52, .673.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:55 pm

4/30: I miss her, but only all the time, every waking moment. Oh, and when I sleep, which is not too often, I dream about her.

(Author’s note: During my first year at Air Force I allowed transfers and Jucos. But it occurred to me that neither would be very likely to go there, if it would even be possible. So from now on, no transfers, no Jucos- oh, and no foreign players.)

5/1: We buy the national basic.

5/10: I thought a little time might help but it sure doesn’t feel like it is. I drove almost to Holly’s place yesterday before I woke up and realized I don’t live there anymore.

5/25: I flew to a coach’s convention. Got my first actual assignment. All it involved was giving a thumb drive to a coach from another school, but still, we didn’t want to be seen making the exchange.

6/5: The Superintendent gave me a pass on transfers and Jucos last year, but no more, so we’re ignoring the transfer pool.

I heard a rumor that Holly is an assassin. It seems her missions usually involve killing someone in a position of importance in the administration, someone who is not easily replaced. Can be almost anyone in almost any location. Chilling, but it explains some things- if it’s even true. Rumors are not all that reliable.

6/11: Can’t shake the thought of Holly as an assassin, and the danger that puts her in. It explains a lot, of course.

6/20: General Carstairs is leaving the Academy. He got another star and he’s going to the Pentagon. Lt. Gen. Roberta Case is the new Superintendent. I don’t know if she’s in on what’s going on or not.

6/23: Clif Morr says Gen. Case is in on this.

6/26: 3 scholarships. We want at least 2 bigs. Looking at 20.

6/29: Gen. Case is a hard … case. She brought Cliff, Rod, me, and Holly (First time I’ve seen her) into her office and said we’re stepping up our activity. She said she has information that there’s a lot of dissension in the inner ranks of the government and we need to step up our efforts.

It was weird seeing Holly. She never once made eye contact with me, unfortunately.

7/10: I have not been called on but that’s because I am doing less travelling right now.

7/17: We’re down to 8 recruits, but 6 seem to really be interested.

7/21: On a recruiting trip, and I’m a courier.

7/22: Managed the handoff with no issues.

8/1: Another trip and another courier job. I have to say I get really nervous doing this. I’ll do it. Those b*st*rds killed my dad. But it’s stressful. If I get caught I’m a dead man.

8/7: Center Hek Leff, #31, and SG Cole Dion, #46, are on the Norton list. That’s great. 1st time any of my players make the list.

8/17: Big purge in D. C. 11 highly placed members of the administration were fired and arrested, including 3 cabinet members and 2 members of The Leader’s inner staff. No details, of course.

8/21: We offer to a PG and 2 bigs.

8/25: Another purge in D. C., this one at the Pentagon. & Generals were taken down, and several civilian workers.

Superintendent Case called the team in to tell us that the purges were of people in on the plot to overthrow the government. She felt we were all safe though. None of those who went down were involved with any of the service academies, and General Carstairs was not purged.

9/18: We get the PG. We’re close with the 2 bigs.

We’re going to the WS Midwest Invitational. We’ll play Oklahoma first.

Definitely a stronger schedule.

9/25: We get a PF. Still chasing one big.

I’m doing lots of travelling but no “requests” lately.

10/2: We get the other PF, so all 3 are ours.

1st day of practice. Rick Joyn is out until probably January but we’re still way better than last year.

10/10: Recruiting trip to Detroit. I was told to pick up a certain package at a certain place, and then to leave it in a specific place at a certain government office.

10/11: I guess I’m an assassin now, too. The package blew up, and several high government officials blew up with it. The package, from what I’ve been able to find out, must have been moved after I placed it. It blew up in the Board Room of the building, a few minutes into a high level meeting.

11/1: I was called to the infirmary. When I got there Cliff Morr was waiting for me.

“It’s Holly, and it’s bad.”

“Damn! But she doesn’t want to see-”

“She asked. But before you go in… it’s not a given that she’s going to survive this-”

“Then why isn’t she at the best hospital-”

“Because it would blow her cover, and probably ours. She’s in good hands.”

“Yes, but-”

“Will… She wants to see you.”

I went in.

Holly had a big bandage around her head, bruises all over her face, and had tubes and stuff everywhere.

“Holly…”

“Will… I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For pretty much everything.”

She spoke slowly, fighting for the breath and the energy to speak. Her voice was barely loud enough to be heard.

“I’ve missed you so much, Will…”

“Then why-”

“One, I got pissed and got stupid. Two, then I got stubborn. But really, it was killing you to see me get hurt. It worried you to death not to know… I couldn’t keep doing that to you.”

“I never stopped loving you, Holly, not for a minute.”

“That means a lot.”

“So when you get better maybe we-”

“I’m not going to get better, Will. You can’t see the worst of my injuries. I’ll probably be dead by morning.”

“Holly-”

“Sh. Just hold my hand and stay with me for a while.”

“As long as you let me.”

She slipped in and out of consciousness for the rest of the day, and for half the night.

“Will, not right away, but when you can… find someone. I trained you to the point where you were almost housebroken… Seriously, I think you’ll be happier with someone than alone.”

“Holly-”

“Sh.”

As the hours went by I got to speak to her doctors. They made it clear that all they could do was try to keep her comfortable, and that it was a matter of time- not much time.

She died at a little after 3:00 a.m.

11/4: This is very hard. Thank goodness practice has started and the games will soon. The busier I am the better. Now I have two people I'm doing all of this for.

11/6: Life goes on. It sucks, but it goes on.

Here’s the lineup we’re starting with. It will change when Rick Joyn returns in about 5 weeks:

Juniors Dal Stue and Cole Dion are at guard, with senior walk on Al Latt backing up. Junior Al Whet is backing up.

Soph Nick Wrig is at SF, with senior Roy Rich backing up.

Inside it’s junior Cam Arn and soph Hek Leff, with frosh Mike Kal in support. As I said, Rick Joyn will start when he returns from the knee injury in mid-December.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:15 pm

11/15: 80-77 at Charleston Southern. We led most of the way and it ended as a 3 point win because they hit a half court shot at the buzzer. 23, 8 for Cole Dion at SG, 17, 8 for Hek Leff at C, but he fouled out, 13, 3, 8 for Dal Stue at PG. 37 RBs (+17) but 20 TOs (-8).

11/18: 95-71 over Baylor here. 24, 5, 5, 3 for Stue, 18 for Dion, 14 for Leff, 6, 7, 4 for Wrig at SF, and 9 for Kal from the bench. +9 RBs, 10 TOs. It looks like we have 2 very good guards this year. Stay healthy, boys!

I’m burying myself in work but Holly is never out of my thoughts. I haven’t had any “assignments” since her death.

WS Midwest is next. We face 1-1 Oklahoma first. Strong field here.

11/21: 85-86. We played hard, and we were in it all the way. 20, 11 for Leff, but he fouled out on a bad call with 1:11 to go, and that really hurt. 12, 7, 5 for Stue, 12 for Dion. 10, 6, 4 for Rich from the bench, and 12 for Al Whet, 9, 7 for Mike Kal, also from the bench. +12 RBs, only -1 TO. They hit a well defended three at the end for the win.

I’d like to play these guys again when Rick Joyn is healthy.

Short trip to the tourney but I can’t be too upset with my guys. They played really well against a good team.

11/23: Oklahoma won the tourney, beating #16 ranked Arizona.

We’re at 3-0 Northwestern yet. Joyn is finally able to work out. He’ll be in the lineup in about 3 weeks.

11/25: 71-78. 20, 6 for Leff, 13 for Dion, but he fouled out in 18 minutes. 11, 7 for Kal.

We need Joyn. 3 more games without him.

11/29: 81-65 at Bowling Green. 22 for Dion, 16, 6 for Kal, who we inserted into the starting lineup, 10, 7 for Arn in his first game from the bench. +11 RBs, +6 TOs.

12/2: 88-68 over Wichita ST here. 27 for Dion, 13, 5, 5 for Stue, 10, 3 for Kal.

12/6: 76-57 over Western Michigan here. 21 for Dion who is a pure shooter, 16, 8, 3 for Leff, 14, 2, 4, 3 for Stue. +10 TOs.

And Rick Joyn is back! He’ll play both C and PF for now. Kal will back up inside, and also at SF.

12/13: 79-74 at Navy. They were up 10 early in the 2nd. Then we started to fit together. It will be a process getting this new lineup comfortable with each other. 21, 11, 3 for Leff, his best game in a LONG time, but having
Joyn in the lineup meant Navy couldn’t double him or even overplay him. 19 for Dion, 9, 5 for Joyn.

I had a simple, “pass some papers” mission while we were at Annapolis.

12/20: 80-66 at Kona. 23 for Stue, 18, 6, 3 for Dion, 12, 10, 3 for Kal. +8 TOs. They collapsed their D into the paint to stop our inside game, so we beat them outside.

Guy Lewis and I had a very sensitive mission. We told the team we were going scouting and couldn’t fly back with the team. Actually, we drove a rental car down to D.C., and that’s all I’m saying except that it was not something I want to be asked to do too often.

12/25: At the end of pre-conference play we’re 7-2, RPI #20. +10.4 PPG, +5.9 RBs, +2.8 TOs.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:19 am

12/27: 90-72 over Wyoming here. 30 for Dion, his high for the season, 16, 11, 4 for Kal, 13, 9, 5 for Joyn, 13, 4, 7, 4 for Stue. +19 RBs, but 19 TOs- they had 17.

12/30: 65-86 at UNLV. We didn’t show up tonight, at least on D. 18, 4 for Dion, 12, 11 for Leff. 21 TOs.

1/3/7: 86-65 over Boise ST here. Weird, same score we lost our last game by. 25, 3, 4 for Stue, 24, 2, 3 for Dion, 10, 8, 4, 2, 2 for Kal, 10, 9 for Leff. 7 TOs (+8).

1/6: 77-60 at Utah ST. 18, 14, 2, 2, 3 for Leff, 14, 7 for Joyn. 40 RBs (+17).

1/8: 77-60 over Fresno ST here. 19, 6, 3, 3 for Dion, 14 for Arn.

Rick Joyn broke his ankle so he’s out long term again. He’ll probably be back for the post-season.

1/10: 78-58 over Nevada here. 17, 14 for Leff, 17, 4, 3, 4 for Dion, 14, 8 for Arn. +26 RBs (48).

We’re now in a 3 way tie for 1st.

1/13: 69-85 at #22 New Mexico. So much for 1st place. 22, 10, 3 for Leff, 21, 5 for Wrig.

1/17: 75-67 at San Diego ST. Great road win! 22, 11 for Leff, 14, 5, 3 for Dion. +14 RBs.

Another internal purge. Elections don’t mean anything since only one party gets to put candidates on the ballot, but lots of “elected” officials were purged, and replaced with presumably more loyal people.

1/20: 80-56 over San Jose ST here. 22, 3, 2, 3 for Dion, 14, 3, 6 for Stue.

1/24: 66-70 at Colorado ST. They took 10 more free throws and made 9 of them. Foul trouble severely limited the play of 3 of our starters, and our 6th man.

1/29: 14-5, 7-3, RPI #29. 1 back of 1st place. +9.3 PPG, +10.3 RBs, +1.5 TOs.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:36 pm

1/30: 86-73 over UNLV here. 20, 7 for Kal, 14, 9 for Leff, 17, 5, 2 for Dion, 12 for Arn. +17 RBs, 11 TOs.

Cole Dion is #20, and Hek Leff #27 on the Norton list. Dion should be much higher.

There’s a long way to go but we’re in 2nd, ½ game back of 1st, ½ game up on 3rd, 1 up on 4th. It’s 4 team race. Everyone has either 7 or 8 to play. 5 of our last 7 are away, which is not good.

We’re being told that there is chaos in D.C., and no one knows who is really in charge.

2/3: 71-64 at Wyoming. 21, 2, 5 for Stue, 13, 10 for Leff, 12, 5 for Dion. +10 RBs. Ridiculously sloppy game, we had 22 TOs, they had 23.

#18 New Mexico lost 3 of their first 4 in conf., but they have now come roaring back, and they’re alone in 3rd.

The chaos in D. C. continues.

2/6: 60-81 at Boise ST. We gave up 45 in the 1st ½. They trook 14 more free throws. We shot 36.4%, they shot 49.1%. Kal and Dion both fouled out, and Stue had 4.

2/10: 80-39 over Utah ST here. Wow! I don’t remember this big a blowout ever. 25, 4, 4 for Kal, 16 for Dion. +12 TOs. We shot 54%, they shot 31.4%. 2nd half was 50-17.

Now it’s basically a 2 way battle for 2nd. We and New Mexico are tied, 2 back of Nevada, 2 up on Boise ST, with 4 to play.

2/13: 74-64 at 1st place Nevada. HUGE and unexpected win. I went positive all week with my guys, even though I thought this would be a gigantic challenge. I never let them know that, and they came in confident. We were up by 10 at the half, as many as 16 in the 2nd. 18, 5 for Dion, 16, 4, 4 for Whet from the bench, 8, 10, 2, 2, 2 for Leff. Great D held them to 28.3%.

New Mexico lost so we’re alone in 2nd, 1 back of 1st, with 3 to play.

2/15: 76-64 #16 New Mexico here. We led by as many as 21. 24, 5, 5 for Dion, 14, 9 for Leff, 13 each for Stue and Kal. +6 TOs, +6 RBs.

We just beat the 2 best teams in conf. back to back, and we’re a virtual lock to finish 2nd or better.

I had to deliver a package to someone on the New Mexico staff. It had to be done at halftime, and in a certain specific location. It felt like we were being watched but hopefully that’s just a touch of paranoia.

2/17: 90-78 at Fresno ST. Huge game for Hek Leff, 33 and 11. +20 RBs.

We have clinched 2nd place and have an outside shot at 1st. We have 1 to play, 1st place Nevada has 2. Long shot, though. Both their games are against bottom feeders.

2/19: Ranked! #24.

2/24: 57-67 at San Jose ST. The game was meaningless but I’m not happy that we lost, and even more unhappy about the way we played. The foul trouble issue was a big factor again. Every starter except Stue wound up with
4, and had to sit for way too long. They took 19 more free throws. 19, 15 for Leff.

Joyn will be back for our first tourney game.

2/26: We end the regular season at 20-7, 13-5, RPI #23. Alone in 2nd place. +8.9 PPG, +7.8 RBs, +2.3 TOs. We dropped out of the top 25.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:39 pm

3/3: There seems to be all sorts of turmoil in D.C.

3/5: It was announced that The Leader is stepping down due to ill health (He’s 48 years old. Last week he seemed to be in excellent health.). He is being replaced by a man who was very much behind the scenes. His name is not known to the general public.

3/7: We play #7 seed Fresno ST, 14-14, 7-11, in the round of 8. We won by 17 here, and then 12 there.

3/8: 73-67. It was close all the way. 20 for Dion, 12, 4 for Kal. Foul trouble was an issue yet again.

All the favorites won. We play #3 seed, #18 ranked New Mexico, 21-7, 12-6, in the semis. They won by 16 there, then we won by 12 at our place. Despite finishing 3rd, they are probably the best team in the conf.

3/9: 76-86. We played very well in the 1st half, and then the usual issue, fouls, made me sit players for long periods. Leff played 6 minutes before fouling out, , Kal played 17. 21, 2, 4 for Dion, 12, 12, 5 for Joyn.

UNLV upset Nevada.

3/10: New Mexico won by 5 for the title.

3/12: We’re in the Big Dance, but how high and where are the questions. RPI #27.

#8 Midwest. We play #9 Texas, 18-10. We think we’re better, but not by a lot.

3/16: 84-75. 23, 5 for Dion, 3 others in double figures, and Joyn had 6 and 10. +8 RBs.

The reward for winning? We get to play #1 seed, #2 ranked, #3 RPI Michigan. Their starting SF and 2nd leading scorer broke his arm in today’s game.

3/18: 49-66. The final score was the biggest margin, and we were on the edge of being in it most of the way, but they’re quick and they’re big, and they wore us down. 19 for Dion. No one else had more than 6. 12 RBs for Joyn. +4 RBs, -7 TOs.

3/20: Coup, counter coup. It’s a real mess in D.C.

3/21: Word is that our planes are bombing Argentina, Chile, and Brazil, and that ground troops are crossing borders into those countries and landing from ships in various places along their coasts.

3/22: The invasions continue in South America.

3/23: Four Star General Austin Lynch, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, appeared on nationwide television to announce that he is heading up the government.

“We have ordered all of our countries troops to immediately cease fire and to withdraw from Chile, Argentina, and Brazil. The Leader, and all of those around him, have been arrested, and they are all in custody.

“It is our aim to free our nation from the tyranny that has reigned here for the past several years. We will hold elections as soon as possible to elect delegates to a Constitutional Convention, to be held, again, as soon as possible. We urge all citizens to remain calm as we try to bring order to our country. Our highest priority is to assure, as quickly as we can, that all of us have decent food, water, and shelter. Military bases and recruiting offices in your area will serve as headquarters for these operations as soon as we can set them up, and as soon as we can get food distributed. Look for announcements. For the present, and hopefully not for long, all curfews remain in force. We are hopeful that we can begin releasing political prisoners within the week. When we do that, each of them will be told that they should establish contact with a family member or friend to meet them, and to help them to re-establish themselves in their community.”

There was more, a lot more, but that will come up later.

This is far from settled. The dictatorship that was just deposed had lots of support. No doubt it still does.

3/26: Lots of public service announcements, and food seems to be trickling in to most locations.

3/28: Gen. Lynch announced that of the more than 100 million people who have disappeared since The Leader- the original one- took office, only about half that number have been located, in prisons, detention centers, work farms… throughout the country. The new government is looking for the other half.

The word is that those found are not in good condition. Evidently, they were used as slave labor, or something very much like it, and fed an inadequate diet.

3/29: Gen. Lynch says people liberated from the labor camps are in poor shape, and will be treated in place.

“This is an emerging story. We do not yet know how many camps we have yet to find. We do not yet have any idea of how many have died in the camps we have found.

“We will provide details as we confirm them but we will not spread rumors, and will not speak in a given situation until we have complete, accurate information. Family members of the liberated prisoners are being notified as quickly as possible. We estimate it will be at least a week, and perhaps longer, before any of these people can be released to their families. We appeal for anyone in the medical field to go to the nearest information center and volunteer to help out at the site nearest you. We are overwhelmed and do not have the resources to deal with all of the sick and injured at the camps.”

4/3: We lost to the national champs. Michigan won it all.

4/4: Awards: Junior Cole Dion and soph Hek Leff made conf. 1st team.

4/5: Gen. Lynch spoke to the nation. For the most part is was not good news. First, the country is bankrupt. We cannot pay our bills, nor can we pay the federal pensions that have not been revoked- quite a few, as it turns out. We cannot pay our federal employees, including the troops.

Second, we do not have the means to feed our people. We cannot take out loans since we are bankrupt. Our only hope is that foreign governments might be willing to give us food until we can grow our own. Our plan is to plant crops everywhere we can, and hope for a good harvest. Given that fresh water is a major issue this will not be easy. We will also raise as many cattle, hogs, lambs, chickens… as possible. We hope to have the capability to feed our people by late fall, but a lot of things would need to go right for that to happen.

Third, all troops in foreign lands will return home unless their presence is needed to restore order- from a situation we created. Gen. Lynch assured the country and the world that we will no longer be attacking anyone.

Finally, of the estimated 100 million political prisoners and missing persons we know of, slightly less than 75 million have been located. The fear is that the other 25 million are dead. It may be some time before this is known for certain. Most of the 75 million survivors are well enough, or soon will be, to rejoin their communities, but there are no jobs, and there is not enough food.

There are many other problems but they pale in comparison to these.

The General ended by pleading to all of the world’s governments to come to our aid. He reminded them that we have been generous in the past.

4/10: Foreign aid, in the form of loans and food shipments, has been pouring in from all over the world. The money is being used to provide jobs, and the food is preventing starvation.

There is still no trace of the more than 25 million people still missing. All of the groups that were targeted by the former regime seem to be represented about equally among those missing.

4/20: Things are calming down. Food is adequate to feed everyone. There are no choices, and there is no surplus, but people are eating.

4/23: We ask for a budget increase. We get a little over $11,000.

22-9 for the season, overall I’m 129-61, .679, after 6 seasons.

Hoping to improve even more next season. We’re losing starter Rick Joyn, and subs Roy Rich, Al Latt, and Jay Tare.

4/28: A horrible day. We found furnaces at 2 locations… after a little investigation it was clear that they were used to burn bodies. We have not found any records that may have been kept.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:10 pm

5/1: We buy national basic again.

The people we captured when we overthrew The Leader are being questioned but no one is admitting knowledge of the furnaces.

5/14: We have found about 100 people who were at one of the sites where a furnace was located. After a very long conversation it is clear that Hitler’s concentration camp served as an “operator’s manual” for the use of this site, and no doubt the other as well.

It is possible that as many as five times more people were killed than was the case under the Third Reich.

5/25: We have found ashes buried not far from the furnaces. Testing has confirmed that the remains are human.

5/30: We have found a deeply encrypted external hard drive at the same site where we have been searching. The drive is not readable, but our tech people are working on it.

6/11: Our tech people say they feel they are very close to restoring the hard drive.

6/18: The hard drive has been restored. More than 90% of what was on it is readable, and all of that has been transferred onto several other computers and external hard drives. There is a lot of information.

6/25: The information from the hard drive has been read. No names are listed anywhere but the record keeping was extremely thorough. There is no doubt that unimaginable numbers of people were executed here.

References indicate that there were seven other sites that operated this type of killing factory. It now seems clear that most, if not all of those missing are dead.

6/26: 4 scholarships. We need 2 and 2, if possible.

6/30: We have announced the news about the furnaces.

7/1: Public outcry has been overwhelming. All members of the deposed government held as prisoners have been moved to secret, very secure locations.

7/5: Organizing everything we received in foreign aid has been a gigantic task. Our first priority was getting food and potable water to people, and even that took more time than we had hoped, but at present everyone is eating decently, as opposed to simply getting enough food to survive.

We are moving from regionally located community kitchens to having the ability for people to cook and eat at home. We’re not all the way there yet, but it’s coming.

Crops are growing, and some have been harvested. Others will be ready to harvest over the next three months or so, and if our luck holds there will be surplus food, enough to get us through until next year’s harvest. If that happens we will be self-sufficient regarding food, from that point on.

Everyone is either doing some sort of work, or in school- public schools which are not involved in propaganda. Our colleges and universities will re-open in the fall.

Jobs are mostly related to growing the crops, and transporting food, water, and other items from place to place, education, day care, and healthcare. We are trying to establish a full employment economy of some kind, but that will take time.

There is all sorts of bickering and politicking regarding the Constitutional Convention, and it does not appear that that will happen soon. Gen. Lynch issues regular reminders that the country needs to get moving on establishing a civilian government and electing leaders, but that too seems to be a long way off.

7/25: Our luck is holding regarding weather and such, and harvests have been all we could have hoped for.

Some manufacturing has begun.

Our economic system is very crude at this point. People receive scrip that can be used to purchase food, clothing, and other essentials. But no none goes hungry.

The disabled, and those too young or too old to work are cared for, if not by families, then by agencies set up for that purpose.

8/7: Hek Leff is #40 on the Norton list. We are shocked that Cole Dion was not selected, and we thought frosh Ad Hess might be.

8/21: We offer to 2 PGs, 2 bigs.

Weather is still holding and crops are doing great. Many have already been harvested.

9/6: While things are progressing it is very difficult to rebuild a society that has been destroyed by a dictatorship. While no one lacks at least the basics of food, water, shelter… very, very few are doing much better than that, and we are being told that it may be a long time before that changes much.

9/18: We’re in the Sunshine Shootout vs. Iowa. Only 3 home games on the pre-conf. schedule.

9/25: We get a PG.

10/2: We get 2 bigs. 1st day of practice.

10/22: Still chasing a PG.

The crops are all in. We have lots of grains stored, which is great. Animals are flourishing as well.

11/6: We have a lineup but it will definitely change over time:

Senior Dal Stue will start at PG, and senior Cole Dion is at SG. Senior Al Whet and red shirt frosh Joe Wye back up. Frosh Cal Lee is waiting for his chance.

Frosh Ad Hess is at SF, with junior Nick Wrig backing up.

Soph Mike Kal start at PF and junior Hek Leff is at C. Frosh Reg Laws backs up inside. Senior Cam Arn is waiting for minutes.

Gen. Lynch announced that the Constitutional Convention’s format has been decided, and delegates will be selected in a referendum within each district, to be held on 2/1/8. In what is certain to be a very controversial move, 100 delegates will be chosen, drawn from districts equaling as near to 1/100th of U. S. population as possible. Districts were drawn up by a computer program designed to make the districts as nearly equal in shape as possible while containing the required 1%. States are NOT a factor; most states are either split up, or in the big states, a given state may have several delegates, one or more of which may come from that state and one, or more than one, other. Hawaii and Alaska are combined, and they share 1 delegate.

The Convention will meet in a different district each time it meets, moving from one section of the country to another.

Their first meeting will be held in Topeka, Kansas on 3/1/8. Gen. Lynch will chair the meeting, but he is not a delegate. The first order of business will be to select a chair; when the chair is selected the General will leave.

After that what the Convention does, and how it goes about doing it, will be the sole responsibility of the Convention.

Gen. Lynch has charged the convention with presenting its final product no later than 6/1/10. It will be sent to the people for ratification on 8/1/10.

All meetings will be public, and the press is not to be excluded.

Early reaction is that this will be a somewhat progressive group, given the way districts were selected.

11/8: Gen. Lynch clarified the way candidates for delegate may appear on the ballot- 10,000 valid signatures from adults, 18 and over, living within the district. To be elected a candidate must receive 50% plus 1 votes in the election on 2/1/8. If no one in a district reaches that level, a run off between the two candidates receiving the most votes will be held one week later, on 2/8/8.

11/9: MANY candidates have already announced in each district. Now the gathering of signatures will begin. 12/6/7 is the deadline.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:32 pm

11/15: 85-67 at Monmouth. We were in charge from the beginning. 24, 11 for Leff, 16, 3 for sub guard Al Whet. 9 TOs. Too many fouls. No idea how to stop this; we work on playing good D without fouling at every single practice.

11/18: 67-75 at Sacramento ST. We were awful. We let them shoot 59.6%, we were out rebounded, and we committed 20 TOs. 24, 8 for Leff, who has looked very good so far. 20, 2, 4, 2 for Dion, but 8 TOs. Not much from anyone else. This was a very disappointing game.

Interestingly enough, in some districts certain candidates are getting support from groups of people who are trying to limit the number of candidates with similar philosophies. This is an attempt to secure a ballot spot for the favored candidate. In other districts it seems to be wide open.

11/22: Home opener. 87-73 over Gonzaga. 18, 11 for Leff, 10, 5, 6, 2 for Stue, 12 for Whet, 11 for Dion. +8 TOs.

We don’t play at home again until 12/13. 4 road games and a tourney.

Heavy campaigning in most districts already, even though signatures do not need to be submitted until 12/6. Some have already been submitted- candidates only submit when they have 10,000. Actually, most will submit
15,000 or more to be sure to have 10,000 valid signatures.

11/25: 71-70 at Louisiana Tech. We nearly blew a 13 point lead, but Al Whet hit a three with a hand in his face at the end. Balanced scoring. As usual, fouls went against us; they took 44 from the line, we took 23.

11/29: 84-87 at Low Point. Poor D again; they shot 59.2%. 19 for Dion, 13, 7 for Kal, 13 for Whet, 11, 9 for Hess. Frustrating.

A week to go until signatures need to be submitted.

A couple of lineup changes. Al Whet is simply playing much better than Dal Stue, so he’ll start. Nick Wrig is grabbing minutes from Ad Hess, who has not gotten it together yet. Hess will continue to start but they’ll get equal minutes.

12/2: 74-68 at Radford. Too many fouls again- 5 for Cole, 4 each for Whet and Kal. Dion played 11 minutes. 10 TOs helped. 15, 5 for Kal, 12, 6, 2, 2, 2 for Leff. We won, but we didn’t really look good.

12/6: 69-85 at Memphis. Hess and Leff fouled out, Kal had 4, so my entire front court was in foul trouble all night. They played 22, 21, and 19 minutes. 20, 4 for Dion, 15, 6 for Kal, 9, 10, 2 for Wrig. I don’t have any answers right now. Oh, 24 TOs.

We’re atarting Wrig for Hess. Hess just isn’t ready.

The signatures need to be in by midnight.

12/7: 542 candidates have handed in signatures- well, 549 handed them in, but 542 have the 10,000 required. The other 7 didn't. Three districts have 3 candidates, one has 17. Most have between 4 and 7. The election, first round anyway, is on 2/1.

12/8: We play 6-0 Iowa, the #2 seed, in the 1st round of the Sunshine Shootout. The way we’re playing right now…

12/9: 75-50. Can’t believe it! We led all the way. +8 RBs, +7 TOs, 2 fouls less than Iowa. 16, 7 for Leff, 17, 5, 2, 2 for Dion, 12, 7 for Kal, good bench play.

#3 seed Minnesota, 6-1, in the semis.

12/10: 69-45! 23, 8 for Leff, 15, 5 for Dion, 8, 9, 3, 2 for Kal, 9, 4, 2 for Hess. +12 RBs, +9 TOs. 2-0 against very good teams since we started Wrig. Truthfully, he’s gotten in foul trouble and given us little to nothing, but evidently the chemistry has changed. We’re leaving him there!

#1 seed Temple, 6-2 for the title.

12/11: 69-47. I have no explanation. D was excellent, +8 RBs, +5 TOs. 15, 10, 2 for Kal, 13, 8 for Leff, 13, 3, 4 for Whet, 11, 6, 6 for Dion. No idea what changed but we’re not messing with it.

12/13: 82-63 over Navy, here. 17, 7, 4 for Cole, 15, 6 for Leff, 10, 6 for Kal, 11, 4 for Wrig. 11 TOs.

Thinking of how nice it is NOT to be risking my life regularly, and exposing myself to danger even more regularly. I’ve been thinking a lot about Holly, too. I have no doubt that her work, and even her death, had a lot to do with getting rid of the dictatorship. I still miss her very much.

Campaigning is going strong. There’s no way for candidates to spend lots of money but they are given air time every week to speak to the voters of their district. Most of the campaigning is on recently re-activated social media.

12/16: 66-61 over Georgia here. It was a battle. We came on in the last 2-3 minutes to win it. 13 each for Leff, Dion, and Whet. We didn’t shoot well, but we took 18 more shots.

12/18: Ranked! #18.

12/20: 79-64 at Kona. 32 fouls to their 19, but we overcame that. 26 for Dion, 24, 2, 5 for Whet, 14, 8, 3 for Leff.

12/25: We 3nd non-conf. play at 10-3, #, RPI #. 6 game winning streak. +9.4 PPG, +3.5 RBs, +3.9 TOs.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2016 Dynasty Reports