Burned Ivy: The Brown Bears and a Recovery from Scandal

Burned Ivy: The Brown Bears and a Recovery from Scandal

Postby jksander » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Cheating Scandal Rocks Ivy League
- - - - -
Brown University fires head coach; Seven-Player team of underclassmen will play
under first-year interim coach; NCAA Investigation continues

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – A cheating scandal which threatens to rock the Ivy League to its core continues to cast a cloud over Providence, as head basketball coach David Rickerts was fired abruptly by University President Richard Orton. Orton, while admitting the school was filing self-sanctions with the NCAA, said he has also replaced the entire upper-level staff of his Athletic Department over charges that a third of the 2016-17 Bears team was involved in organized academic fraud.

Meanwhile, rumors abound that the former coach's long-implicated ties with New Jersey organized crime syndicates may bring into question the Bears' entire basketball program's performance over the last several seasons due to point-shaving implications.

Newly hired head coach Rex Danninger has his work cut out for him, as only seven players remain on the program's roster, all underclassmen.

“I am here to do a job,” Danninger told the Providence Journal. “We're hopeful that the NCAA won't further sanction us, as every player who was implicated has been removed from the University, and I will be bringing on an entirely new staff to the program hell-bent on making sure nothing of this sort happens on my watch. Under the new AD, this is our program's last chance to regain respectability within the Ivy League and the NCAA as a whole, and I don't plan to mishandle that transition.”

Danninger, though he has no prior head coaching experience, has worked on the Wichita State staff for the last ten seasons, including four years as the school's chief compliance officer with the NCAA. No one in the media questions his ethics as he takes over the program, but there is legitimate debate as to whether the program can regain credibility after such a scandal.

Has Danninger signed on for a completely thankless, impossible task? Only time will tell. One thing is for sure – Brown Basketball has a long road to walk as we head into the 2017-18 recruiting season.

- - - - -

Game Settings
I'm recruiting on Brutal and I'll be hamstringing myself even more by not allowing any recruiting outside the state of Rhode Island until after October 2nd, meaning out of state visits would be very limited (mostly to end of season). I will also not allow myself to recruit anyone with less than a 3.2 GPA due to the academic restrictions caused by the scandal, and no Junior College transfers.

Considering all that, plus the fact that I'll be cutting a third of the team, should mean a LOT of walk-on talent. Can I help Brown compete under these restrictions?

To put it in perspective, that leaves me only two in-state recruits I can target this year, with all other recruiting limited until after October 2nd. BRUTAL ;)
Last edited by jksander on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jksander
Elite Member

Re: Burned Ivy: The Brown Bears and a Recovery from Scandal

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Ooh. Looks interesting!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby jksander » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:47 pm

Wayne23 wrote:Ooh. Looks interesting!

Initially I may fast-sim some to get some depth into this storyline, building through news clippings. Then as I build my team I can go to coaching all the games and see how long I stay employed at Brown ;) This is a hearkening back to my brutal Texas State dynasty from years ago where I used the editor to nuke my team and went almost winless for two seasons before building a juggernaut. We'll see what happens here!
jksander
Elite Member

Postby jksander » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 am

Frustrated. Hit an unhandled exception at transfer from End of October to start of November that is apparently permanent and i can't get past it. It may have to do with cutting so many players, but I can't see why ... it causes no issues with the depth chart or the sub matrix. Either way, This will have to be reconfigured. Sorry :(
jksander
Elite Member

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:43 am

If you get below 10 players total on your squad before April 9 (or maybe April 16) it kills the game.
Wayne23

Postby jksander » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Wayne23 wrote:If you get below 10 players total on your squad before April 9 (or maybe April 16) it kills the game.

I cut them on the first day of the game. So I'll redo this all and start from scratch, doing my cutting after November 1st.
jksander
Elite Member

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Again, if you cut below 10 players before April 9 the game will crash. You can cut to 10 at any time.
Wayne23

Postby jksander » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Wayne23 wrote:Again, if you cut below 10 players before April 9 the game will crash. You can cut to 10 at any time.

So for this diary I can NEVER have less than ten players on my roster?
Last edited by jksander on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jksander
Elite Member

Postby PointGuard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm

jksander wrote:
Wayne23 wrote:If you get below 10 players total on your squad before April 9 (or maybe April 16) it kills the game.

I cut them on the first day of the game. So I'll redo this all and start from scratch, doing my cutting after November 1st.

If you cut them on May 1, then didn't the tame generate a bunch of walkons to fill your roster in June? If so, it seems that there wouldn't be a insufficient roster issue that would cause an Unhandled Exception. If it occurs again, pass along what it says the reason for the UE is.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby jksander » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm

PointGuard wrote:
jksander wrote:

If you cut them on May 1, then didn't the tame generate a bunch of walkons to fill your roster in June? If so, it seems that there wouldn't be a insufficient roster issue that would cause an Unhandled Exception. If it occurs again, pass along what it says the reason for the UE is.

No, no walkons were ever created. I'll follow Wayne's advice and never go below ten players. So I'm going to edit the news article above to note that a third of the team is being implicated in the scandal, and I'll still cut all my best upperclassmen.
jksander
Elite Member

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2016 Dynasty Reports