Multiplayer Injuries

Multiplayer Injuries

Postby SonOfShibe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:49 pm

We sim 11 days at a time. If a player is injured at any point in the sim, he keeps playing. One of our teams had a guy break his arm early in the sim and he got three more starts after that. Not good.
SonOfShibe

Re: Multiplayer Injuries

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Well the problem is that its kind of an unavoidable situation - if you sim 11 days you're not giving owners an opportunity to do anything different over the course of those games. The same would be true if a player was ready to come back from injury and was sitting out early in the sim - he would miss games he shouldn't.

If you have ideas on how to better handle it from a MP perspective I will gladly listen to them though.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby SonOfShibe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:01 pm

That is a disappointing answer. The commissioner of a multiplayer league can't stop daily and issue a new league file to give gm's that opportunity; the game has to handle injuries and sub-out players with 0% health status. Otherwise getting through a season would be so tedious, no one would ever play the multiplayer version of your game. And from the poor results I've had enticing people to join my league, it doesn't seem like anyone is. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but after struggling to get my league off the ground since February, talking friends into buying a buggy game that we're not really enjoying, and having to deal with their frustrations like the injury issue, I'm very close to giving up on your product. At a minimum I recommend you take the multiplayer option out of the game and just market it as a solo game where for all I know it may excel.
SonOfShibe

Postby ArmandoT11 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:40 pm

After enjoying playing a solo league I decided to join SonOfShibe's online league but unfortunately your game DDS: Pro Basketball 2017 is definitely not made for online play. For starters we can't export our coaching philosophies nor the scout staff points, which we found out after advancing through that part of the season so SOS had to re-play those days. Player instructions also aren't exported, to fix it SOS had to manually edit each and every single one of the 24 teams according to our instructions. That's a lot of work for him as a commish.
Those issues were fixable by having a hands-on commisioner like SOS but the last straw was this problem with the game playing injured players. Not only they start the game, they play ALL the minutes that you assigned to them even if they can't shot their free throws or anything. Check the next image:

The fact that you said you think thats how the game should work makes us all on the league very angry, as the fix for this is that the AI buries the player on the depth chart and uses the bench players for those games. And we know this because that's how all the other sports sim games handle their injuries for online multiplayer leagues.
I doubt you guys could fix all those problems on a patch so you should remove the multiplayer aspect of it since its not functional at all.
ArmandoT11

Postby andrei » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 am

Gary Gorski wrote:Well the problem is that its kind of an unavoidable situation - if you sim 11 days you're not giving owners an opportunity to do anything different over the course of those games. The same would be true if a player was ready to come back from injury and was sitting out early in the sim - he would miss games he shouldn't.

If you have ideas on how to better handle it from a MP perspective I will gladly listen to them though.

Previous versions of the game, AI removed the player from the rotation if he was injured. Can't say it was consistent and there is still plenty of times a player plays full set minutes with a broken arm or leg but thats definitly not how the engine is supposed to behave.

Player coming back from injury is an entirely different matter.
andrei

Postby Rizzo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:42 am

andrei wrote:
Gary Gorski wrote:Well the problem is that its kind of an unavoidable situation - if you sim 11 days you're not giving owners an opportunity to do anything different over the course of those games. The same would be true if a player was ready to come back from injury and was sitting out early in the sim - he would miss games he shouldn't.

Previous versions of the game, AI removed the player from the rotation if he was injured. Can't say it was consistent and there is still plenty of times a player plays full set minutes with a broken arm or leg but thats definitly not how the engine is supposed to behave.

Player coming back from injury is an entirely different matter.

I play in a long running league that uses PB3 and the AI definitely benches (for the most part) players dealing with major injuries. There are some rare occasions that a player would play reduced minutes with a serious injury. The way that we combat it (without really trying to) is that we only sim two days per sim. Going 11 days for each sim leaves a lot to happen, so you're definitely going to get injuries - major and minor - that pop up in that time.
Rizzo

Postby Gary Gorski » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Well as I said I'm certainly willing to make changes based on feedback - the game is absolutely geared first toward solo play because that is what 99% of the people do with it.

I will work on another update to the game just for MP changes - it should be exporting suggestions and stuff so I will look into what is going on there. As for injuries let me see what I can do to override the AI but we're going to have to set a threshold of what is "too injured" which will prevent major injuries from playing but there's going to be some subjective limit.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2017 General Discussion