Historical is the best way to play, but...

Historical is the best way to play, but...

Postby Warriors11 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:48 pm

first off I love the historical. It is so fun to play with the classic players. really enjoying this mode. But there is one glaring issue. the players are of the old era, but the game is playing a modern style.

this is especially true of 3 pointers. For example IRL - Bernard King in took 134 total 3's in 15 seasons.

In my most recent replay he took 550 in one season

IRL the entire league took 3,818 3-pointers all season

in the game it is 10x that

Bottom line, historical is a blast to play. but as it stands it is such a different game it just doesnt have long term immersion.

this may sound like a broken record suggestion, but OOTP does historical better then any other game. it has both mutilpe era settings, but it also allows down to the individual stat adjustment. I dont think we need that level of detail. but at least 3-4 definitive eras that would adjust they style played, especially 3pts taken would make this mode something amazing.
Warriors11

Re: Historical is the best way to play, but...

Postby Warriors11 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:52 pm

and apparently old people (me) like to play historical and forgot I already suggested this last year

viewtopic.php?f=222&t=21248
Warriors11

Postby PointGuard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 pm

Warriors11 wrote:and apparently old people (me) like to play historical and forgot I already suggested this last year

viewtopic.php?f=222&t=21248

Hey, no problem...last year was an entirely different "era". :D
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Scoman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Warriors11 wrote:first off I love the historical. It is so fun to play with the classic players. really enjoying this mode. But there is one glaring issue. the players are of the old era, but the game is playing a modern style.

this is especially true of 3 pointers. For example IRL - Bernard King in took 134 total 3's in 15 seasons.

In my most recent replay he took 550 in one season

IRL the entire league took 3,818 3-pointers all season

in the game it is 10x that

Bottom line, historical is a blast to play. but as it stands it is such a different game it just doesnt have long term immersion.

this may sound like a broken record suggestion, but OOTP does historical better then any other game. it has both mutilpe era settings, but it also allows down to the individual stat adjustment. I dont think we need that level of detail. but at least 3-4 definitive eras that would adjust they style played, especially 3pts taken would make this mode something amazing.

And how OOTP does this is through single season yearly modifiers based on league totals. This is exactly what DDSPB historical mode needs . Or at least the option to do so . Like recalc. For the best historical accuracy.
Scoman

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:38 pm

It is wrong to say players did not take a lot of 3-point shots. They took the shots from that distance, the shots simply were only worth two points.

There are lots of examples of players who took long shots 'back in the day' who were good shooters from out there but only got credit for two points. On the great Knick teams, Bill Bradley and Dave DeBusschere were terrific shooters from distance--as was Jerry Lucas when he got old and came over from the Royals. Wali Jones and Kevin Loughery were also deep shooters, while great scoring guards such as Hal Greer were not deep threats.

I don't know where data would come from (other than watching a lot of old kineoscopes and estimating distances, perhaps), however it is a mistake to say these shots were not taken.

My preference is to play historic guys with modern shooting because they did take the deep shots they simply didn't get credit for the third point.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby Gary Gorski » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 pm

I agree - OOTP does historical great...and has been doing it for many years now and with a much larger support staff. Historical play was first introduced in PB16 with just the ability to start in one year and go from there. PB17 took huge leaps in allowing you to start in any season and mix up the draft classes if you like. With good feedback and some time the historical aspect will improve each year so "eras" or play style modifications are certainly something I will look to build into the game in the future to keep improving on this.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Warriors11 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:07 am

Gary Gorski wrote:I agree - OOTP does historical great...and has been doing it for many years now and with a much larger support staff. Historical play was first introduced in PB16 with just the ability to start in one year and go from there. PB17 took huge leaps in allowing you to start in any season and mix up the draft classes if you like. With good feedback and some time the historical aspect will improve each year so "eras" or play style modifications are certainly something I will look to build into the game in the future to keep improving on this.

awesome, that is all we can ask. I am still addicted to this mode and will be anxiously eager to see how you are able to expand and develop it over future versions.

OOTP had a similar path on its 3d which went from skeleton/unplayable to nice but clunky to now the only way I play
Warriors11

Postby Francis Gallon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

Hello, Gary.

New to the board. Love the game. In a crowded field of pro basketball sports sims, DDS:PB really stands out. I've been playing computer bball sims since the early 90s (Lance Haffner, APBA/Cactus, Jeff Sagarin's really neat "Hoops" game) and have continued until today (Action, PC Replay, Strat, etc.)

Hands down, DDS:PB has the best visual presentation of any bball sim I've played. The flow, the color, the way the "players" are of different sizes depending on their height and weight (excellent!) -- awesome. And DDS:PB also has (again by far) the deepest and most sophisticated stat package of any basketball sim. What's amazing in this area is that none of the other games have any of our current "advanced stats": strength of lineups, OffRat, DefRat, points-off-TOs, points-in-the paint, etc. DDS:PB does.

I am with everyone in this thread. Never had any interest in a GM-type game, only in historical replays and the OOTP comparison is perfect here. OOTP started out as nothing more than the CEO-groupie-type nonsense with players choosing the price of hot dogs and tickets, and fiddling with A-ball lineups, and hiring trainers and scouts. YUCK! Who cares? :-) For years, the OOTP franchise was worthless as a historical engine, even though it included that option. Now it's become (imho) the best baseball historical sim available. I'm also somewhat putoff that my Showtime Lakers are shooting 15 to 20 three-pointers per game. Yet -- placed in a 21st-century context, of course the 80s Lakers would be firing away: Michael Cooper, Byron Scott, Wes Mathews, even Magic, maybe even Worthy. But I do hope that era-modifiers will be part of DDS:PB's future.

Thank you for all the great work and products!

Best,
FG
Francis Gallon

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Thanks for the kind words - way back at the start of this franchise you once too had to set ticket prices and schedule bobble head nights...that stuff was dumped many versions ago and the focus became making the best modern day sim on the market. Now that I feel I have accomplished that historical play has become more of a focus and will continue to be.

Just wait until you see some of the ideas I have planned for PB18 :)
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Francis Gallon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 am

Thank you, Gary! Can't wait.

Any chance of including seasons prior to 1976-77?

FG
Francis Gallon

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2017 General Discussion