college-pro link doesnt work in fictional historical

college-pro link doesnt work in fictional historical

Postby Warriors11 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:55 am

thank you for this - I followed it to the letter, as well as creating my own timeline to do list.
viewtopic.php?f=236&t=24707

now maybe it was never meant to work this way, but after spending two days on this - it still isn't working correctly. would love to see it work correctly at some point.

so started college file in 1980 - setup with no upperclassman graduating (I suspect this is the problem, but if it doesn't work then it is kind of not really a true sync and doesnt interest me as much since I miss the days of college basketball careers)

started NBA fictional file in 1980 and connected the two and all seemed to work correctly.

followed the procedure and made sure I had all the right timing

when I ran the 1981 draft a couple things happened that are the problem

- it DID import rookies from the college file
- it DID NOT import any of the college statistics, so everyone was at 0s. this is kind of a big deal and one of the primary reasons for importing.
- it DID (incorrectly) pull players from all years - so even though freshman where not eligible to declare early and are still in the college file - they also were in the draft and ended up being drafted. Not only is this an issue of continutity and immersion, but kills any long term connection since those players will eventually get drafted and duplicated all 4 years.

In working through all this not only did it not work, but the need for precision timing is also a potential pit fall and it got me thinking about a better option. why not simply have an export at the end of college season along with an import at the draft class portion of the nba season.

this would solve timing problems, it would allow for simming multiple ncaa draft classes (and potentially re-using if someone was inclined to do so) it would also allow for DB editing to refine incoming classes for those inclined to do those sort of things.

PS - also worth noting there was a small issue in historical fictional and salary caps. when I have played real historical NBA I reduce the cap usually by simply setting it at 10% of default and the historical salaries and caps tend to match up with most of the stars being around 2-3M players. did the same thing for historical fictional and all teams ended up 100M+ over the cap. I was able to fix it quickly and easily with a DB export and adjusting all salaries to 10% of their current value.
Warriors11

Re: college-pro link doesnt work in fictional historical

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:35 pm

OK thanks for the feedback here - let me see what I can do to get this working in a more convenient fashion and address these issues
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Warriors11 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 am

I may have stumbled on something.

logically it made sense for me to start both the college game and pro game in same year since they would always be running at same time as described in the outline.

but then I got to thinking - the pro game starts to scout the college guys during the existing season. so what would happen if I started the college game a year earlier (in this case in 1980 and played all the way through the first "end season" date of 4/30 from ncaa and then started and connected a new pro game in 1981)

first test run and my new list of scouted players for next season are all seniors, so we may be on to something.

I will continue to test and then report back.
Warriors11

Postby Warriors11 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:36 am

I think I got it

finished the 82 draft and sure enough now it is all working correctly.

so here is the key thing I noticed. when you first setup your 2 seasons make sure you setup your college season one year ahead of the pro season and make sure you complete one full college season before creating the pro one and making the connection.
Warriors11

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm not sure what simming one year first of CB accomplished - you said in your initial post that the game did pull in the rookies (albeit more than just seniors) so aside from that and the stats that you said didn't pull (I will look into both of those things) I don't see the connection with simming a year ahead.

If you setup the season to begin in 1980 your CB season should begin in May of 1980 and the PB season in Oct of 1980 and when you import the draft class in PB it should be reading things as they are in CB. That way as you play the 80 season in CB and PB the stats are being pulled every time you save in CB then you end the 1980 CB season and the final draft class is generated and then you view the awards in PB and the final players are pulled in.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:07 pm

OK so I just tested this out following my steps as laid out in the other thread. Here's what I did exactly...

1. Created CB17 league, turned on option to prevent underclassmen from declaring, set season to 1980
2. Advanced CB league passed "buy reports" stage
3. SAVED CB league
4. Created PB17 league, used fictional rosters and set season to 1980, linked to the CB league file (link.cbb was the leaguename)
5. Simulated CB league through summer stuff and to the start of the season
6. Advanced PB through d-league draft and clicked the "pull ddscb" button when given the prompt for rookies.
7. Simulated CB league to Jan 1, 1981
8. SAVED CB league
9. Simulated PB league to Jan 1, 1981
10. SAVED PB league
11. Verified that stats on "scout" page matched those from CB
12. Simulated rest of CB season
13. SAVED CB league
14. Simulated rest of PB season
15. SAVED PB league
16. Proceeded CB league through the "end season" stage (CB autosaves at this point)
17. Proceeded PB league through "view awards" stage
18. Simulated PB to the draft
19. On day of draft clicked "scout" icon again for PB - nothing but seniors listed
20. After draft clicked on player cards of drafted players and CB stats appeared as they should.

At this point I would then advance CB past the buy reports stage and save again and go back to step 5.

This verified that the players pulled in correctly, only seniors came into the draft and their stats came in as well and there was no need to sim a season ahead or anything like that as the leagues ran perfectly fine together.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2017 General Discussion