I didn't see this anywhere...

Re: I didn't see this anywhere...

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:54 pm

The json file allows us to add virtually any number of properties we want, and we can nest them if necessary. We can also leave whole sections of the file blank without affecting the ability to read the file in. CSV gets extremely cumbersome when we start adding dozens of fields for Skills, Personalities, and other fields that we may want to move between college and pro. The json format opens the door for us to allow modding and customization of pretty much any property on teams, coaches, players, etc. so we felt it was a good time to start the process now.

.json files are also text based, so if folks wanted to start open source projects on github related to roster files, import files, history files it would be much easier to update, merge, etc.
brooks_piggott

Postby Tigerman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Brooks_Piggott wrote:The json file allows us to add virtually any number of properties we want, and we can nest them if necessary. We can also leave whole sections of the file blank without affecting the ability to read the file in. CSV gets extremely cumbersome when we start adding dozens of fields for Skills, Personalities, and other fields that we may want to move between college and pro. The json format opens the door for us to allow modding and customization of pretty much any property on teams, coaches, players, etc. so we felt it was a good time to start the process now.

.json files are also text based, so if folks wanted to start open source projects on github related to roster files, import files, history files it would be much easier to update, merge, etc.

So like NFL rosters on GitHub?
Tigerman

Postby regenerator » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:13 pm

1) I had specifically asked if we would be able to import our leagues from DDSFB '16 and you said yes. However, with this JSON problem, we can't, if I understand correctly. We would need a specific CSV to JSON converter for this game, a generic one would not work, correct?

2) I'm glad you are going to build this custom converter, but with everything else going on, I'm going to assume that we'll have to wait at least 6 months to see anything like that. That means I'm going to have to completely rebuild my personal custom league from scratch, with hundreds of players I've created.

3) This also means that we can't use the spreadsheet or any other tool to do a comparison to our league ratings vs. a CPU-generated one to make sure our ratings are in proper range (we had a tool like that someone made using pivot tables when we were using CSV)
regenerator

Postby AKH » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 pm

1) you can just open your '16 leagues (the -bin file) directly with then new game. the json is just for important draftclasses/players.

2) converter will be out way faster than that, prolly a week tops.

3) with the converter you can work in csv as you normally do, then convert.
AKH

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:21 pm

To reiterate what AKH said:

1) You can open up your DDSPF16 leagues in DDSPF18. What you can't do is export .csv from DDSPF16 or DDSCF17 and use those without the converter. And no, a generic one won't work because you need to match the actual .json format.
2) The converter code will probably be published in the next day or two so you won't have to wait for 6 months. Worst case, if you need it right now, you can import your current .csv file into a new league in DDSPF16, then copy that league to DDSPF18, and export it from there. That would give you the new format.
3) No, the game will export .csv files from the options/configuration page that you can use to do your analysis. The .json files are just for import/export.
brooks_piggott

Postby regenerator » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Oh great thanks for the clarification! Sorry for sounding glum/assuming the worst, just so used to having to wait for stuff. Excellent workaround with the import of the .bin file. What a relief! Your patience is appreciated.
regenerator

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Try unzipping this file and running it against your CSV: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnHBGALZN-MFzUIq0HOs08xfC62S
brooks_piggott

Postby Templer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:21 am

Brooks_Piggott wrote:The json file allows us to add virtually any number of properties we want, and we can nest them if necessary. We can also leave whole sections of the file blank without affecting the ability to read the file in. CSV gets extremely cumbersome when we start adding dozens of fields for Skills, Personalities, and other fields that we may want to move between college and pro. The json format opens the door for us to allow modding and customization of pretty much any property on teams, coaches, players, etc. so we felt it was a good time to start the process now.

json seems to expand the possibilities and offer further advantages. Why did you decide so late for json?
Follow WWPF Football on WWPF insider: https://twitter.com/WWPFInsider
Templer

Postby gbmoore » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:43 am

Converter worked for me, Brooks. Converted DDSCF csv draft class to JSON and imported no problem.

Templer, I imagine it wasn't used originally because CSV could handle the needs and is much easier for users to mod on their own.
gbmoore

Previous

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2018 General Discussion