Run Option Plays

Run Option Plays

Postby TalonHIFL » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Is there any chance of taking the option strategies from the college game and adding them to the playbook options in PF18?

I was really hoping to be able to add some option plays into the playbooks to better use the mobile QBs at times.
TalonHIFL

Re: Run Option Plays

Postby JDB » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:59 pm

I'd like to second this request
JDB

Postby TheRivals40 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:26 am

QBs seem to hold on to the ball on some plays like an option--the one I've noticed is spread sprint right and left. Those are in the college game--not sure if in pros. But I believe the "option" plays represent the triple option, a scheme which I don't think ever gets used in the NFL. So there's that.
NOppenheimer
TheRivals40

Postby TalonHIFL » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:07 am

TheRivals40 wrote:QBs seem to hold on to the ball on some plays like an option--the one I've noticed is spread sprint right and left. Those are in the college game--not sure if in pros. But I believe the "option" plays represent the triple option, a scheme which I don't think ever gets used in the NFL. So there's that.

The Panthers run quite a bit of triple option, I know it's not ultra common, but having the option to do it (no pun intended) would be nice.
TalonHIFL

Postby JDB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:10 am

Also teams used to run it more historically in the 60's and 70's. Since historical replay is already a key component of this game, adding these plays would help support it. The historical rosters would probably be better equipped to run them. Could they just somehow be "copied" over from the college game?
JDB

Postby AKH » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 am

you can mod the plays xml as you like, and option plays will work if you copy them over from the college game (but you need to fill out the additional entries that are in the progame xml). A lot of plays that we made and tested were not included in the core game because they were either too powerful or exploitable.

(Of course in multiplayer it is the commisioners xml that is used for simming. And you might run into issues if you export playbooks with plays that are not in the commisioners xml, so you would want to keep a backup)
AKH

Postby TalonHIFL » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:34 am

AKH wrote:you can mod the plays xml as you like, and option plays will work if you copy them over from the college game (but you need to fill out the additional entries that are in the progame xml). A lot of plays that we made and tested were not included in the core game because they were either too powerful or exploitable.

(Of course in multiplayer it is the commisioners xml that is used for simming. And you might run into issues if you export playbooks with plays that are not in the commisioners xml, so you would want to keep a backup)

Awesome news! I'm not very savvy on doing any mod work to the games, so this is a great revelation for me! Hopefully its as easy as it sounds. Cheers!
TalonHIFL

Postby TalonHIFL » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:49 am

How do I find/access the play XML?
TalonHIFL

Postby FootballAddict » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Ha, that explains why my favorite plays aren't there xD
FootballAddict

Postby JDB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:10 pm

AKH wrote:you can mod the plays xml as you like, and option plays will work if you copy them over from the college game (but you need to fill out the additional entries that are in the progame xml). A lot of plays that we made and tested were not included in the core game because they were either too powerful or exploitable.

I actually tried this in DDSPF16 and couldn't get them to work. Is this capability new? Where exactly are these programe xml additional entries?
JDB

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2018 General Discussion