Position Rating vs Attribute Ratings

Position Rating vs Attribute Ratings

Postby regenerator » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:49 pm

OK, I'm still not 100% on the position ratings.
As you probably saw from my other posts, I'm working hard at the depth chart part of the game before I start my season. This has led to some questions-

Say I'm trying to determine who should start at LCB, and it's between 1 guy with a 78 OVR and a guy with 81 OVR. However, the 78 player has a 85 position rating vs 79 for the 81 OVR. Does this mean I should consider starting the 78 OVR over the 81 OVR because of position ratings?
regenerator

Re: Position Rating vs Attribute Ratings

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:42 pm

You should start the guy with the best skills and ratings combination regardless of OVR. OVR already takes skill into accounts somewhat, so you should be safe picking the higher OVR. But advanced users will ignore OVR and look at key attributes to figure out which is best for a particular formation or scenario. (Speed DE versus Strength DE, cover corner versus speed corner, pass catching RB versus speed, etc.)
brooks_piggott

Postby regenerator » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks for the response Brooks, I wasn't sure if OVR incorporated Position rating.

And yeah, now that I'm doing the depth, using more specific ratings to decide when to start certain players in certain formations
regenerator

Postby regenerator » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Okay so a little bit more specific info -
Would you say that a Position Rating/Skill is more appropriate than anyone skill? So say this for example:

Comparing 2 LBs
Player 1 has 85 STR, 85 LB skill

Player 2 has 80 STR, 90 LB skill.

Which would you say in general is the better player in this instance?

Also, does the OVR rating take the Skill Rating into account? It looks like it doesnt, and that a player with an OVR of 90 will have an OVR of 90 whether their Skill Rating is 1 or 100. Is that true?
regenerator

Postby brooks_piggott » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 pm

This is DDSPF18 and to be honest I don't remember if this version had the skill rating affecting OVR.

Again, it depends on the scenario. You may gain 5 in STR, but losing 5 in skill may affect decision making, positioning, play recognition, etc. depending on what formation you run and where on the field the LB is. The honest answer is I can't give you absolutes because the engine is so fluid and has multiple variables built in. You would have to each player through dozens of seasons and then start averaging out things to really see which was a better fit for your team.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2018 General Discussion